Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heavy Military Armor and SecureTech PPP System Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jareth Valar
The one thing that throws the whole thing into a "WTF do you mean? question.gif " moment to some around here is the sentence in Arsenal in PPP section.
These additional pieces do not count as separate armor for purposes of encumbrance; instead, these modify the rating of armor worn by their rating just as helmets and shields do. Arsenal, pg. 49
Looking at the section in SR4 for helmets and shields it says pretty much the same thing.
Helmets and shields do not count as separate pieces of armor; instead they modify the rating of armor worn by their rating. SR4A, pg. 327
Looking at Encumbrance does not clarify much.
Note that some armor items, like helmets and shields, provide a modifier to the worn armor rating and so do not count as stacked armor. SR4A, pg. 161
If a character a character is wearing multiple armor items, add their ratings together before comparing to Body. SR4A, pg. 161
(bolding is mine)

The one thing that confuses some of the players around here is it seems that they are treating helmets, shields and PPP like dice pool modifiers, added after the fact. Ergo, do not count for encumbrance. Which is plainly stated in the PPP quote.

Now, I'm not saying this is how I run things (it's not) but that is how it seems to most around here.

It has been argued that the meaning of the "doesn't count as separate" means you get the full bonus from all pieces and it all adds for encumbrance, but it doesn't actually say that anywhere that we have found.

And yes, I am well aware of the fact people think the rule book is jacked, hence the 5th ed thread. grinbig.gif

It's all just a bit....odd. wobble.gif
Yerameyahu
Jareth, I don't think anyone thinks/plays that helmets, shields, PPP don't count for total encumbrance. At least, I don't recall seeing that on DS before. I've seen people claim that PPP inherits encumbrance magic from its 'host' (FFBA, mil-spec), but not that it's 'free'. Only magic, implants, etc. are 'free'.
Jareth Valar
Not talking DS, local area. Sorry.

I don't run it that way either, but the reading could be seen that way. It was an overheard "discussion" of another gaming group at my FLGS. It was rather heated and I recall some almost convincing arguments. Just bringing it up here since every other idea has been available for target practice. wobble.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Jareth Valar @ Sep 29 2011, 08:53 PM) *
Not talking DS, local area. Sorry.

I don't run it that way either, but the reading could be seen that way. It was an overheard "discussion" of another gaming group at my FLGS. It was rather heated and I recall some almost convincing arguments. Just bringing it up here since every other idea has been available for target practice. wobble.gif

I thought I already brought up those points. Oh well.
Jareth Valar
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 30 2011, 01:00 AM) *
I thought I already brought up those points. Oh well.

Not in so many words, but yes, you alluded to those facts indeed.

So Yerameyahu, apparently someone here on DS DOES think that way after all.

Neraph, how has that been in your game? Does it seem to cause any problems?
Yerameyahu
Neraph never counts. smile.gif Though I'm still shocked if he actually believes/plays that way.
Daishi
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Sep 26 2011, 06:30 AM) *
Show me a non-troll goon who can actually walk around with SWAT Armor + FFBA + PPP. The full Set encumbers like 19/17 for 22/18 Protection. You would need real BOD 10 to use it without penalty.
Heavy MilSpec Armor without Mobility Upgrade can be worn with BOD 6.

Ah, I forgot to mention that we do use the optional Tailoring rule to allow a Bod x3 limit. Bod 10 is not required in that case.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Daishi @ Oct 1 2011, 09:03 AM) *
Ah, I forgot to mention that we do use the optional Tailoring rule to allow a Bod x3 limit. Bod 10 is not required in that case.
How does FFBA, which is already tailored interact with that optional rule at your table?
Yerameyahu
Cheesily.
Neraph
QUOTE (Jareth Valar @ Sep 30 2011, 06:51 AM) *
Neraph, how has that been in your game? Does it seem to cause any problems?

It's never been brought up.

In fact, in the most recent game I ran a human in FFBA/PPP/Armor was shot to death with FA, the troll next to him took 1 Stun, and the other human driver took nothing, so FFBA/PPP/Armor does not seem to be as broken as people think.
Yerameyahu
Heh, that's not exactly rigorous statistics.
Daishi
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Oct 1 2011, 01:47 AM) *
How does FFBA, which is already tailored interact with that optional rule at your table?

We just go with x3 for the whole outfit to simplify. Trying to run two comparisons just seems too convoluted. We also consider all those pieces to be tailored together so it functionally becomes one integrated suit of armour. The higher armour levels hasn't been a problem for our high-level campaign. The special capabilities of military armour remains a very strong draw for the players versus the SWAT combo armour, and as the GM, the SWAT combo armour gives me an easy option to notch up the durability of the bigger NPCs. But it's just a notch up. Personal armour is never a guaranteed bullet immunity in SR4. A good street sam with an SMG remains a threat no matter what you're wearing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012