Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caseless Ammunition
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 28 2011, 08:44 PM) *
Thing is, getting a sword here in Germany is actually pretty easy, you're merely forbidden from carrying it openly in public. I've had the opportunity to swing a German two-handed sword once, and the while the weight of the sword was actually pretty low (I believe it was around 2-4kg), it still left me winded after a few swings. I exercise regularly, but I guess you still need special training to use it effectively for a prolonged period of time.

It's why great generals had to be good at keeping some troops in reserve (= not winded from fighting).
Saint Hallow
I got to shoot a DE once. It knocked me on my butt & slammed my own hands back into my face. There's a video of it, which I have worked hard to make sure never sees the light of day. I'll stick to .22, .38, & the occasional 9mm when I go practice shooting or want to blow off some steam.

Getting back onto topic, wouldn't special ammo need to be cased? SnS, Gel rounds, Flechette? Seems like those types of rounds need to have something extra to make them work properly.
KarmaInferno
Most caseless ammo in current development seems to be of the telescoping type.

Rather than having a wad of propellant glued to the back of the projectile, the projectile is embedded in the middle of the propellant with perhaps the tip sticking out. When fired, an initial kicker charge pushes the projectile out of the propellant block and into the barrel. The main propellant then ignites, driving the projectile out the barrel as normal.

Most types of variant ammo should work with this.

-k
Shrapnel
I don't log in for a few days and look what I miss...

1911s are okay, but if one had to have a .45 caliber handgun, I'm more partial to the newer designs available; XD-45, Glock 21 SF, HK USP .45, FNP-45, M&P .45, etc... I know there's a lot of nostalgia in the 1911 design, but the newer designs are generally lighter weight and have almost twice the capacity.

The FN Five-seveN is okay, but I'm still not sold on the caliber. I don't know whether to consider it a glorified .22 Mag, or more of a .223 Short. It really does have light recoil, and a 20 round magazine is nice, but ammunition availability is still one of the major drawbacks. When is the last time you saw 5.7 ammo at your local sporting goods store? It's also difficult to reload, due to a special polymer coating on the case.

If one were to look for firearms to survive the zombie apocalypse with, you would want something capable of reloading with black powder and lead if needed (the .45-70 would be King of this crowd), or something easy to stockpile a few 10K rounds or so of (mainly military calibers such as 9mm, .45, .223, or .308). Being able to keep it safe, or carry it with you, would be key. You would also want common cartridges that you could find anywhere, like .38 Special or .30-06. I would highly recommend avoiding gimmicky or obscure, such as the G11 or 5.7x28mm. You'd be limited to the ammo you already have, whereas the guy with the .38 Special or .30-06 could probably find a partial box of ammo in at least half the homes in America. Of course, there's always battlefield pickups...

One of our next ideas for a campaign is a nuclear-blasted wasteland, perhaps with mutants or zombies, based loosely on Fallout or Gamma World. It would rely heavily on scrounging and scavenging, so topics like this have been creeping through my mind as of late.

I've always enjoyed Shadowrun for the detail they put into their firearms system, while trying to keep it balanced and easy to use. After looking through the Palladium Weapons Compendium and D20 Modern books, I love Shadowrun all the more! I tend to run a lot of house rules to add to the realism, but also have no problem running the rules as written. It really depends on the group I'm playing with, and the style of characters. As with CanRay, I've had very tactical characters where every magazine and pouch was accounted for, and I've had a character with a Black Scorpion that didn't have a clue how to use it. I think my last character didn't use a firearm once during the entire campaign.

Sorry for the long winded response, I had a lot of ground to cover...
CanRay
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 28 2011, 04:53 PM) *
Here's an appropriate image.
I think I found my new deer rifle. biggrin.gif

Deadlands: Hell On Earth was a good game system that took ammo into consideration, Shrapnel. They were so scarce and useful that they were currency in most communities. The few times I played, I had a Flintlock Rifle that I used for hunting, and kept the cartridge ammo for more serious situations (Sawed-Off Double-Barreled Shotgun on a gunslinger rig, and a brace of different rifles in the VW Bus the group traveled in so we could use most of the ammo we found.). Often, we used pistol ammo for trading.

When I was GMing it, I just loved to have the PCs I was running for be sprayed with full-auto fire, "That's our looted ammo you're wasting you sons of..." biggrin.gif
Shrapnel
CanRay,

Thanks for the info! That's exactly the kind of atmosphere we're looking for. I'll have to give Deadlands a look.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Sep 28 2011, 10:28 PM) *
Airsoft guns, being imitation firearms, are by definition illegal here. Can't be licensed at all.

There's an initiative to change that, and if it fails, you can always go to Belgium like a lot of Dutch folks already do. I find it weird that dangerous crossbows can be bought and sold freely and harmless toys are banned. Insert the obligatory weed-smoking joke.

Also, where can I put pictures of cool, futuristic guns that exist IRL? There's a cool Polish sniper rifle and two Russian holdout pistols that caught my eye recently. Not to mention the Russian shotgun revolver (it's like Remington Roomsweeper, but real. And takes only 5 12ga rounds).
Mardrax
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Sep 30 2011, 12:28 PM) *
There's an initiative to change that, and if it fails, you can always go to Belgium like a lot of Dutch folks already do.

Don't have too much faith in that to be honest. Also, Belgium's quite a way away. And quite a way away is not the most convenient place to store your arsenal.
CanRay
You want stupid?

British Biathlon Olympians have to train outside of England. And, from my understanding, it's not because of a lack of skiing terrain.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 28 2011, 04:46 PM) *
.500 S&W, for when I want to shoot through schools and prove that I'm massively overcompensating for something.

Or .700 Nitro Express.

I always felt that in SR all handguns used by trolls should be these mondo calibers and should have their own damage category.
Yerameyahu
They're called shotguns, though. smile.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 28 2011, 02:44 PM) *
Thing is, getting a sword here in Germany is actually pretty easy, you're merely forbidden from carrying it openly in public. I've had the opportunity to swing a German two-handed sword once, and the while the weight of the sword was actually pretty low (I believe it was around 2-4kg), it still left me winded after a few swings. I exercise regularly, but I guess you still need special training to use it effectively for a prolonged period of time.

You must be small in body, but big in sword.

Your quads, hamstrings, wrists, triceps, and core muscles all come into play.

In many ways the power generation and defensive posturing is exactly opposite to modern unarmed combat.

Wait till you try it with an opponent.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 30 2011, 09:33 AM) *
They're called shotguns, though. smile.gif

Heh, that is whay my Troll uses, to be sure. smile.gif
Seriously Mike
Nonlethal Russian holdouts. And those babies are legal to own there. They all use electric ignition systems to fire and would be just right loaded with S&S or Capsule rounds in SR.
Kordon - looks like ugly personified, takes four 18mm low-power cartridges into internal magazine, fits into an average man's palm completely.
Strazhnik (Guardian) - gettin' there. This derringer comes with a spare pair of barrels, so instead of loading the gun by hand, you just can take the barrels off and slap a new pair on.
Osa-Egida (Wasp-Aegis) PB2 - now we're talkin'! Shadowrun style, slim lines, two shots, reloading looks like a pain in the ass (you have to pull out the barrel insert, put two fresh cartridges in, then but the barrel insert back in).
Osa (Wasp) PB4 - I wouldn't call this fat bitch a holdout pistol, but it's small and takes four rounds.

And, now, for something completely different, the Polish SKW338 sniper rifle prototype. This baby throws .338 LapMag suggestions over long distances and finally doesn't look like built in a shed with old pipes, sheet metal and AK grips.
Plus, the MSBS556 assault rifle. Available in standard layout and bullpup, upper receiver and forearm are compatible between versions (at least from version 3 onwards).
Elfenlied
Those pistols look like Pepperguns, particularly the last one.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 30 2011, 09:11 PM) *
Those pistols look like Pepperguns, particularly the last one.

Oh, that's because they are. I wonder how fast those funny rubber bullets would go if given a tight barrel to build up pressure in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012