Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caseless Ammunition
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
CanRay
I have one character that thinks in calibers and exact natures of things. Another that barely remembers what to feed his Ceska Black Scorpions.
Faelan
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 24 2011, 04:49 PM) *
The G11 actually had the capacity to eject misfired rounds., at least from the rotating firing block. There was a port on the bottom for this, which could also be used to inspect the firing chamber.

I knew about that, but it really does not fall into what I meant. Remediation as intended is a quick and simple action usually only resulting in loss of sight picture while maintaining general sight alignment, in other words clear it and I am almost immediately firing again without a major body adjustment. Twisting something like a corkscrew seems to me like it would throw everything off, and take longer to recover

I had a minor obsession with the weapon when I was younger.

~k

I did too, until I started using them professionally, then I wanted things that could take a beating.
Wounded Ronin
As a recreational shooter I often feel like fancy, expensive stuff is often crap.

With an AK 47 you can hit a plate at 100 yards max. Doesn't matter if it's an expensive AK or a cheap one, the range is still the same.

Now how often do you shoot at something 100 yards away?

The AK is reliable and can basically hit everything you need to hit for all intents and purposes. It is cheap, replaceable, and easy to maintain and customize.

If you had to evacuate your locale during a disaster with loss of services, which would you rather have with you? A trusty AK, or some mysterious curio item like a G11?
CanRay
I'd want what I could get ammo for.

Which means I'd be up Zombie Creek without a firearm.
Zaranthan
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 26 2011, 05:06 PM) *
Which means I'd be up Zombie Creek without a firearm.

Three words: Chainsaw with SunCell
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 26 2011, 01:59 PM) *
As a recreational shooter I often feel like fancy, expensive stuff is often crap.

With an AK 47 you can hit a plate at 100 yards max. Doesn't matter if it's an expensive AK or a cheap one, the range is still the same.

Now how often do you shoot at something 100 yards away?

The AK is reliable and can basically hit everything you need to hit for all intents and purposes. It is cheap, replaceable, and easy to maintain and customize.

If you had to evacuate your locale during a disaster with loss of services, which would you rather have with you? A trusty AK, or some mysterious curio item like a G11?

Honestly? I'd rather have my 1911 and 12 gauge. Maybe the SR9 as well, but that damn thing is HEAVY and kicks like a mule.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Sep 26 2011, 03:15 PM) *
Honestly? I'd rather have my 1911 and 12 gauge. Maybe the SR9 as well, but that damn thing is HEAVY and kicks like a mule.

I second the 1911 and 12 Guage... smile.gif
Bigity
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 26 2011, 03:51 PM) *
I second the 1911 and 12 Guage... smile.gif

And I third it!

Along with a rifle for the occasional 'shoot things from further away'.
Elfenlied
Might I ask what makes the 1911 so special/popular?
Shortstraw
It has been in use for a century.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Sep 26 2011, 11:12 PM) *
Three words: Chainsaw with SunCell

I'm assuming you've never noticed the generally overcast conditions in zombie flicks?
Yerameyahu
I'm pretty sure zombies are immune to electric chainsaws anyway.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 27 2011, 08:00 AM) *

It works. It's reliable. It has great stopping power.

-k
Mardrax
Well we all know electrical damage has good odds of breaking through their possessed ItnW.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 27 2011, 06:33 AM) *
It works. It's reliable. It has great stopping power.

-k

Indeed, what more need be said... smile.gif
Wish I still had mine.
CanRay
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 27 2011, 08:00 AM) *
It's been the standard that all automatic pistols have been compared to for, literally, a century.

You can also get some high-capacity versions if your issue is "Not enough rounds per magazine". Those are Canadian-Designed. biggrin.gif

Also, there's a lot of modifications available on the market at decent prices to set up the 1911 exactly the way you want it. (Extended magazines if you don't want the thicker grips of a hi-cap, recoil compensators of all types, laser sights of all types, and so on.). Finally, because they're so popular, extra magazines and ammunition is easy to get. Not as easy as 9mm, but you have to fight with so many different types of magazines (Glock mag won't work in a Beretta M9, for example.), whereas if you get a .45 magazine, you're likely able to fit it into a 1911 (This is one area where the hi-cap 1911 fails).

Finally, the Double-Tap was developed for the 9mm as even a headshot wasn't guaranteed to drop someone with that round, whereas the .45... Well, a Zed won't go down with a .45, but you also have crazies and anti-social humans to worry about too, and they'll know they've been kissed by John Browning's lovechild.

Oh, and yeah, it's a John Browning design. That's always a good start!

For a 9mm, I'd suggest a Browning Hi-Power, but that's because of it's origins and the fact that it's a common sidearm in Canada (The Canadian Armed Forces standard issue.).

And I've just gone off Gun Nutty again, haven't I?
Mardrax
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 27 2011, 05:53 PM) *
And I've just gone off Gun Nutty again, haven't I?

(s)He asked for it!
suoq
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 26 2011, 03:59 PM) *

I'd rather have a multi-tool (leatherman wave for example) and a good knife (straight KA-BAR) over either of them.
Faraday
QUOTE (suoq @ Sep 27 2011, 10:24 AM) *
and a good knife (straight KA-BAR) over either of them.

Got my girlfriend one of those for Christmas. She loves that thing.
CanRay
I can get Nepalese-Made Kukris at my FLGS. biggrin.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (suoq @ Sep 27 2011, 10:24 AM) *
I'd rather have a multi-tool (leatherman wave for example) and a good knife (straight KA-BAR) over either of them.

The K-Bar is a wonderful Knife...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 27 2011, 09:00 AM) *

The fact that it means you're good at clearing type 3 malfunctions.

I use the 1911 for sports. But for self defense I would prefer to carry my Ruger P series due to greater reliability.
Warlordtheft
I'll go with my 1860 Remington Army revolver in a survival situation. I think with a chemistry book and the right ingredients I can make my own cap an ball ammo....reliabilty would not be great. For reliability I'd go with a SIG sauer in .45. As that was (and still is AFIK) a standard police side arm in the U.S.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 27 2011, 12:22 PM) *

I use the 1911 for sports. But for self defense I would prefer to carry my Ruger P series due to greater reliability.

A Ruger is a nice weapon as well... I like my Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Long Colt. smile.gif
It is harder to carry, though.
Faelan
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 27 2011, 02:22 PM) *

I used to carry a Wilson and never had a problem with it. Of course they were not cheap even in 96.

As to popularity, well for me at least it is the most comfortable handgun I have ever held or fired.
Saint Hallow
I've seen threads & debates like these when I used to play CP2020 & folks would break down the math/ballistics physics of the stopping power, speed, & trauma of Armalites vs AMT2000.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Sep 27 2011, 10:47 PM) *
I've seen threads & debates like these when I used to play CP2020 & folks would break down the math/ballistics physics of the stopping power, speed, & trauma of Armalites vs AMT2000.

It gets crazy, doesn't it. I use to be one of those guys. Now, I tend to roll with the system a bit more. I like Shadowrun, because there really are not a lot of differences within the categories. Which may not be realistic, but it makes the system easier. smile.gif
X-Kalibur
The system is also a tad bit abstract to handle much complexity within a given category of weapons. Minor things like this has mod X already installed and various shadow talk bits aside, it works better when all the heavy pistols do the same damage, unless you want every one always use the one that is "better".
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Sep 28 2011, 09:36 AM) *
The system is also a tad bit abstract to handle much complexity within a given category of weapons. Minor things like this has mod X already installed and various shadow talk bits aside, it works better when all the heavy pistols do the same damage, unless you want every one always use the one that is "better".

Which is why I stopped obsessing over the firearms rules. Better playability trumps realism, at least in my opinion. smile.gif
Elfenlied
Alright, time to get my hands on a 1911, then. Let's hope I find a place where I can try one of these.

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Sep 28 2011, 05:36 PM) *

Reminds me of d20 modern, where everyone and their uncle used a Five-SeveN, and all the haters complained that the Desert Eagle wasn't the best handgun.
Critias
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 28 2011, 01:52 PM) *
Alright, time to get my hands on a 1911, then. Let's hope I find a place where I can try one of these.

They're a lot of fun to shoot. Any range/gun shop worth its salt should have one or two for rent, for sure.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 28 2011, 02:52 PM) *

Reminds me of d20 modern, where everyone and their uncle used a Five-SeveN, and all the haters complained that the Desert Eagle wasn't the best handgun.

Well that can be arranged. Can you make it out to Las Vegas?

The best thing would be to also shoot a glock for comparison.
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 28 2011, 08:08 PM) *

Not anytime soon, I'm afraid. I live in Germany, Europe.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 28 2011, 02:08 PM) *

So what is the recoil like on the 5-7's? I mean you can shoot a .45 all day, a .50 cal handgun will break your wrist eventually.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 28 2011, 03:09 PM) *
Not anytime soon, I'm afraid. I live in Germany, Europe.

Damn. Well like I say to everyone, it's cheaper than ever to visit Las Vegas.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Sep 28 2011, 03:21 PM) *
So what is the recoil like on the 5-7's? I mean you can shoot a .45 all day, a .50 cal handgun will break your wrist eventually.

Dunno, never fired the 5 7.
CanRay
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 28 2011, 01:52 PM) *
First off, you don't want cancer. nyahnyah.gif

Second off, the best reason to want a firearm of any type in that kind of system is style as opposed to stats, everything being so close together. But that's not the spirit of D20, now, is it?
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Sep 28 2011, 02:21 PM) *
I've heard the FN Five-seveN is very light in the felt recoil. Considering the 5.7mm cartridge, that's not exactly surprising. (A .32 ACP is 7.65mm). But that's going off of second-hand reports, so...

I also wish I could go shooting at a range someday... frown.gif But by Canadian Law, I need something like two or three licenses just to look at and think about holding a pistol of any type (Including a Black Powder Flintlock!).
Faraday
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 28 2011, 12:28 PM) *
I also wish I could go shooting at a range someday... frown.gif But by Canadian Law, I need something like two or three licenses just to look at and think about holding a pistol of any type (Including a Black Powder Flintlock!).

What about crossbows?
Wounded Ronin
My plan for when ammo runs out is a German longsword.
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 28 2011, 08:39 PM) *
My plan for when ammo runs out is a German longsword.

Thing is, getting a sword here in Germany is actually pretty easy, you're merely forbidden from carrying it openly in public. I've had the opportunity to swing a German two-handed sword once, and the while the weight of the sword was actually pretty low (I believe it was around 2-4kg), it still left me winded after a few swings. I exercise regularly, but I guess you still need special training to use it effectively for a prolonged period of time.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 28 2011, 09:44 PM) *
and the while the weight of the sword was actually pretty low (I believe it was around 2-4kg)

That's a pretty common weight for twohanders. Just the ceremonial ones get much heavier. As you've no doubt experienced yourself, swinging that much steel around is hard enough as it is, without having another 2 kgs on the far end.
CanRay
QUOTE (Faraday @ Sep 28 2011, 02:36 PM) *
What about crossbows?
There's also a bow license.

Honestly, unless it's a low-powered pellet gun or airsoft (And they've tried to license airsoft!) you need a license for it if it's a projectile weapon. If not outright illegal.

And to import airsoft into Canada, you need the license to store weapons-grade nuclear material.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Sep 28 2011, 12:51 PM) *
That's a pretty common weight for twohanders. Just the ceremonial ones get much heavier. As you've no doubt experienced yourself, swinging that much steel around is hard enough as it is, without having another 2 kgs on the far end.

You're also using muscles you don't normally use unless you regularly swim for exercise, which will wear you out much faster.
Mardrax
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 28 2011, 09:55 PM) *
Honestly, unless it's a low-powered pellet gun or airsoft (And they've tried to license airsoft!) you need a license for it if it's a projectile weapon. If not outright illegal.

Airsoft guns, being imitation firearms, are by definition illegal here. Can't be licensed at all.
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Sep 28 2011, 09:28 PM) *
Airsoft guns, being imitation firearms, are by definition illegal here. Can't be licensed at all.

Well, over here in Germany, they're limited to 1.5 Joule or something.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Sep 28 2011, 12:21 PM) *
... a .50 cal handgun will break your wrist eventually.

Only if you don't hold it correctly. Of Course, I have large hands, so maybe I just notice the recoil a little less. They will rub your hands raw, however. wobble.gif
CanRay
.500 S&W, for when I want to shoot through schools and prove that I'm massively overcompensating for something.

Or .700 Nitro Express.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 28 2011, 03:46 PM) *
Or .700 Nitro Express.

I prefer the 2-Bore... smile.gif
Unforutnatley, it is a Custom Gun Only...
Elfenlied
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 28 2011, 09:46 PM) *
.500 S&W, for when I want to shoot through schools and prove that I'm massively overcompensating for something.

Here's an appropriate image.
Sengir
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 28 2011, 08:44 PM) *
I've had the opportunity to swing a German two-handed sword once, and the while the weight of the sword was actually pretty low (I believe it was around 2-4kg), it still left me winded after a few swings. I exercise regularly, but I guess you still need special training to use it effectively for a prolonged period of time.

European swords (and also Japanese ones pre-Edo period) were made to fight people wearing reinforced armour, so naturally they are quite robust contructions. A rapier or something equally filigreed literally wouldn't have cut it wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012