Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Spell
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Machiavelli
Good Morning Dumpshockers,

i am reanimating the idea of a BC-creating spell for defense purposes. I already thought about it but up to now it didnīt work well rule-wise. What i basically want is an instant-effect, sustaining spell that creates a BC at a rating of the successes rolled. Centre of effect is the magician so that he is influenced as well. Of course you need to have at least magic 1 left after the effect takes in to sustain it. You cannot aspect the rating to your tradition, so it is really only for defensive purposes and to keep spirits away from you if things go FUBAR. I donīt have my books at hand and the last try to calculate the drain was below the drain for mana static. Donīt know if the GM allows it. Can you help?
Loch
I can point you to Mana Static, a spell which does exactly this; it's in Street Magic, on p. 173.
Machiavelli
Naa, not really. Mana Static is a permanent area-of-effect spell that needs a certain time to become effective. Also you canīt walk around easily with it, you would need to spend an action to switch the AOE within LOS.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 22 2011, 11:48 PM) *
Naa, not really. Mana Static is a permanent area-of-effect spell that needs a certain time to become effective. Also you canīt walk around easily with it, you would need to spend an action to switch the AOE within LOS.

So, the one thing that keeps it somewhat balanced you do not like? Hmmm............ wobble.gif
Besides, why would you want to walk around in it? Unless you are using an Aspected Mana Static, you are hurting yourself doing it.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 23 2011, 04:11 PM) *
So, the one thing that keeps it somewhat balanced you do not like? Hmmm............ wobble.gif
Besides, why would you want to walk around in it? Unless you are using an Aspected Mana Static, you are hurting yourself doing it.

Some people (and I do believe I saw Machiavelli saying he's one of them less than a week ago) believe being in an area with Background Count works to reduce Force for incoming spells.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Sep 23 2011, 09:24 AM) *
Some people (and I do believe I saw Machiavelli saying he's one of them less than a week ago) believe being in an area with Background Count works to reduce Force for incoming spells.

Does not mean that it is a correct belief.
Neraph
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 23 2011, 12:48 AM) *

Not exactly. It is permanent when sustained for the time requried... until then it is still in effect, just sustained and not permanent.
Stalag
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 23 2011, 01:48 AM) *

Your alternative is to Surge and take Astral Hazing and then you won't even need to sustain it. Of course you can't turn it off either and it tends to grow if you stand still for any extended period of time.

That's the thing about BC, it's not like a "fog" or a "field" it's an actual alteration to the ambient mana of an area. In the case of hazing the alteration is to the characters own aura which is itself corrupted.
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 23 2011, 03:11 PM) *

It is balanced because you can cast it in an area and you are not influenced by it as long as you donīt step in. My spell works the other way round and therefore looking balanced for me.
I want it, because it would keep hostile spirits (force) meters away from me and my teammates (as long as they stay in the AOE). If it is not permanent but sustained, i can try to get out of there and if an enemy spirit comes in range trying to attack us he should be weakened enough to be killed by mundane methods. I donīt care that it makes me unable to cast magic, as long as it keeps me alive. That BC protects from hostile spells is something we ruled in our group, and it is definitely not the purpose for this spell. It would just be a positive side-effect. Might come in handy the next time a force 6+ spirit, or a lot of them (like the happenings in Hong Kong where we stepped into a roach-spirit-nest), are trying to eat us.
Draco18s
Sounds like you need to surge into an Astrally Hazed critter (or one of your teammates does).

That, or carry around an astrally hazed hedgehog (native to the UK).
Yerameyahu
It's not clear if the magic in SR4 allows non-permanent BC effects. Astral Hazing is permanent (though it *wears off*), and so is Mana Static. BC is similarly 'permanent'. It seems like altering the local manascape isn't like Matrix jamming.

This isn't to say such a fact isn't *arbitrary*, but all rules of magic are arbitrary; if that's how SR4 works, we have to either change the system, or accept.

Such a spell seems like it could really alter the overall system. If it's instant (non-sustained), then it's magic EMP, with a number of handy uses, including probably being a better dispel than is desirable. If it's sustained (but non-permanent), then it's magic dumb jamming; not as bad as smart jamming (AMS), but still possibly a game-changer. If it moves with you, then you're instantly altering the manascape (Astral Hazing *kinda* does this, but there's a time aspect).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Indeed... It seems like what the Player/Character wants is a Good Counterspelling Skill along with a Nice Spirit Bolt Spell.
That is how I go about it anyways.
Stalag
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 24 2011, 08:30 AM) *
It is balanced because you can cast it in an area and you are not influenced by it as long as you donīt step in. My spell works the other way round and therefore looking balanced for me.

Understandable but that's not how BC count works

I want it, because it would keep hostile spirits (force) meters away from me and my teammates (as long as they stay in the AOE).

BC count doesn't really do that either, that's what Mana Barrier is for. It weakens them while they're in the BC by reducing their force so, sure, a spirit might be reluctant to enter a BC (unless it was of their aspect) but it wouldn't stop them.

If it is not permanent but sustained, i can try to get out of there and if an enemy spirit comes in range trying to attack us he should be weakened enough to be killed by mundane methods.

That would depend on the BC you achieve and if he's still in the BC when you attack him

I donīt care that it makes me unable to cast magic, as long as it keeps me alive.

Mana Barrier will keep you alive and let you keep casting magic. Though technically a BC doesn't prevent you from casting either, it's just negative dice.

That BC protects from hostile spells is something we ruled in our group, and it is definitely not the purpose for this spell.

You're certainly making it sound like that's the purpose.

It would just be a positive side-effect. Might come in handy the next time a force 6+ spirit, or a lot of them (like the happenings in Hong Kong where we stepped into a roach-spirit-nest), are trying to eat us.

It sounds like you're not just trying to twist a game mechanic for an unintended purpose but trying to twist a house rule as well. From a RAW perspective your spell doesn't really have any legs so we can't help your argument. Since this is playing off a house rule it's really all up to your GM.

Ascalaphus
What about a Slaughter Spirits spell? It's safe to use while standing in the AoE, and the drain would be manageable... also, no risk of killing innocent children...
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Sep 24 2011, 02:48 PM) *
What about a Slaughter Spirits spell? It's safe to use while standing in the AoE, and the drain would be manageable... also, no risk of killing innocent children...

Unless they are possessed/inhabited, but that is it's own problem.

On the BC spell, I don't see any problems with it. But, from my perspective it's a bad idea. Unless the mage is a capable hand-to-hand combatant, the BC field doesn't give any obvious advantage agaisnt spirits, unless the spirits are of lower force, since most of them will just hammer from range with Elemental attack and likewise. Against a buff-mage, it ight be better, since it'll remove/reduce most of the buff effects, but that is a generally bad build idea anyway.

Regarding BC in general: BC is supposed to be an accumulation of mana in the area, usually from an abundance of life, but also from other effects (leyline flows and sometimes it just pools for no known reason. Important history can make mana "cling" to an area, as well.)

With all these effects, I think "stable" BC is the rarity, and natural aspects may even shift, with a lot of work. As a general rule of thumb, a BC of 0 is the usual, but sometimes I will have it hange on the players, like when a particularily energetic parade is going through, or in some rural places, the season will affect it (late spring to early fall ~BC1; late fall BC0; winter BC-1;Early spring BC0). But that is how I see the mana flow, and obviously, I'm a minority.
Ascalaphus
Such a BC spell would be quite useful. It'd soften up spirits for the Sams in your team, reducing their ItNW to the point where damaging them is no longer in question - as well as reducing spirits' Reaction!

Sure, you go from being an active "do stuff yourself" kind of mage to a countermage, but there's a time and place for that.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Sep 24 2011, 11:48 AM) *

Yep....
Yerameyahu
It's not really a question of being useful, though.
Stalag
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Sep 24 2011, 02:14 PM) *
Such a BC spell would be quite useful. It'd soften up spirits for the Sams in your team, reducing their ItNW to the point where damaging them is no longer in question - as well as reducing spirits' Reaction!

Sure, you go from being an active "do stuff yourself" kind of mage to a countermage, but there's a time and place for that.

Well, technically, if you get the BC higher than their Force then the spirit is just automatically disrupted. (SM 118). A sustained version is still contrary to how BC is defined however.
Yerameyahu
Another issue is that this effectively replicates the Astral Hazing quality (except better), which I'm not sure is possible in terms of 'people understand Astral Hazing'. I don't know if we know how to BC-cloud a metahuman (caster or not). It sounds like it'd be Toxic metamagic at best.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 24 2011, 03:52 PM) *
Another issue is that this effectively replicates the Astral Hazing quality (except better), which I'm not sure is possible in terms of 'people understand Astral Hazing'. I don't know if we know how to BC-cloud a metahuman (caster or not). It sounds like it'd be Toxic metamagic at best.

This I'd have to agree with, now that I've seen it. The spell, however, could work as a custom spell developed by a mega (I would think Wuxing, AZT, or maybe Ares (Firewatch Research), that the runners may be hired to steal. IF this is the case, the GM might allow a test to learn the spell before handing it over to the employer, if you are an appropriate tradition.
Stalag
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Sep 24 2011, 04:45 PM) *
This I'd have to agree with, now that I've seen it. The spell, however, could work as a custom spell developed by a mega (I would think Wuxing, AZT, or maybe Ares (Firewatch Research), that the runners may be hired to steal. IF this is the case, the GM might allow a test to learn the spell before handing it over to the employer, if you are an appropriate tradition.

But being a prototype spell something goes wrong and Mac's character now has the astral hazing quality! Enjoy! biggrin.gif
Modular Man
I'm sorry, but I'm not really following here.
Sustained spells with an area effect do not automatically move with the caster. They can be moved, sure, within his line of sight with a complex action. So it's not exactly the same as Astral Hazing.
Or did you want to create a spell that is automatically centered around the caster, even when moving? This generally only applies to detection spells, if I remember correctly, there are no rules for adding this effect to other spells.
I can see no issue to creating this spell rules-wise, to me the rules from "Street Magic" seem to allow to create a sustained version of Mana Static.
From a balance-worried point of view, of course, well... Make sure to ask your GM.

Edit: Well, now I finally got the intention of this spell after re-reading the opening post. My point still stands though... Why not just go with the rules and get an even more versatile spell?
Mardrax
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Sep 26 2011, 12:17 AM) *
Or did you want to create a spell that is automatically centered around the caster, even when moving? This generally only applies to detection spells, if I remember correctly

False.

Detection spells grant the person they're cast on a new sense, with a range of F meters. They're not AoE effects that move along with whomever.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Sep 25 2011, 06:17 PM) *
I'm sorry, but I'm not really following here.
Sustained spells with an area effect do not automatically move with the caster. They can be moved, sure, within his line of sight with a complex action. So it's not exactly the same as Astral Hazing.
Or did you want to create a spell that is automatically centered around the caster, even when moving? This generally only applies to detection spells, if I remember correctly, there are no rules for adding this effect to other spells.
I can see no issue to creating this spell rules-wise, to me the rules from "Street Magic" seem to allow to create a sustained version of Mana Static.
From a balance-worried point of view, of course, well... Make sure to ask your GM.

Edit: Well, now I finally got the intention of this spell after re-reading the opening post. My point still stands though... Why not just go with the rules and get an even more versatile spell?

Because using the rules to create a spell that centers on the caster is easier on the drain. It will also create a dibilitating effect on him, which he hopes will be enough to convinve the GM to allow it.

That said, I rather like the idea of Area spells centered on the caster, and in the case of combat spells, ones that hopefully are allowed to act as a burst outside the caster instead of actually starting with him (like a fireball burst). To me, that is a reasonable way to reduce the drain on some of those high drain, elemental spells.
Modular Man
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Sep 26 2011, 12:32 AM) *
Detection spells grant the person they're cast on a new sense, with a range of F meters. They're not AoE effects that move along with whomever.

Ah, thank you. Remember now.
Mardrax
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Sep 26 2011, 12:40 AM) *
That said, I rather like the idea of Area spells centered on the caster, and in the case of combat spells, ones that hopefully are allowed to act as a burst outside the caster instead of actually starting with him (like a fireball burst).

Fireball bursting mages. They're like suicide bombers with multi-detonation capability.
Yerameyahu
Hmm. How 'smart' is it? Does it ignore the caster, or what about friendlies?
Machiavelli
This would be my spell no. 2 but i didnīt plan it as an instant duration combat spell, but as an sustained AOE version of elemental-aura. This should also keep enemies away, but it fries your comrades too. As a combat spell it would not harm people behind him, making the spell kind of useless as magical bomb. Friend-protection also cannot be done this way. Therefore is dropped it.This iw why i would stick with the BC-creating spell.

This one is exactly like HunterHerne pointed it out. The caster is the centre of the spell so he cannot step out. Maybe this spell can become more interesting and rule-conform if we would say it instantly grants his benefits, but it is kind of a "permanent spell" that keeps on going for [force] minutes/hours and should therefore only be used if you are really in trouble. Better now?
Stalag
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 26 2011, 07:00 AM) *
This would be my spell no. 2 but i didnīt plan it as an instant duration combat spell, but as an sustained AOE version of elemental-aura. This should also keep enemies away, but it fries your comrades too. As a combat spell it would not harm people behind him, making the spell kind of useless as magical bomb. Friend-protection also cannot be done this way. Therefore is dropped it.This iw why i would stick with the BC-creating spell.

This one is exactly like HunterHerne pointed it out. The caster is the centre of the spell so he cannot step out. Maybe this spell can become more interesting and rule-conform if we would say it instantly grants his benefits, but it is kind of a "permanent spell" that keeps on going for [force] minutes/hours and should therefore only be used if you are really in trouble. Better now?

No because that's still not how BC works. BC isn't an elemental-aura, it's the disruption of ambient mana. "Keeps on going for [force] minutes/hours" is the exact same thing the existing Mana Static spell does and the very reason it's classified as permanent so all you're doing is making the same spell easier to cast.
Yerameyahu
If you want AoE Elemental Aura, I assume you just *massively* increase the drain value of the exisiting Elemental Aura spell. That way, it still ignores you, but it does X DV to anyone nearby.

You're right that a direct combat spell can't hit things without LOS, so that's a bad mechanic for a radial burst spell. You'd have to use an indirect that centers on yourself, and I'm still not sure if you're safe. Is the caster safe from a standard Fireball if he casts it too close?
Machiavelli
I am doing the same spell with the mage as the centre of the spell, not an area. It lowers drain like "touch" or "self" range in comparison to "LOS" always does and it is of sustained instead of permanent duration. Sustaining and immediate effect is a plus, the mage as centre of the spell is definitely a big minus. For me it is just a variant of the original spell.

On the other hand i really wouldnīt have a problem with the Mana Static spell if you could declare how permanent spells work. Do they work immediately or do you have to sustain them and after the sustaining period they sustain themself? I never got that. So do i have an immediate effect? In this case i could definitely use Mana Static in the base-version.
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 26 2011, 02:45 PM) *
If you want AoE Elemental Aura, I assume you just *massively* increase the drain value of the exisiting Elemental Aura spell. That way, it still ignores you, but it does X DV to anyone nearby.

You're right that a direct combat spell can't hit things without LOS, so that's a bad mechanic for a radial burst spell. You'd have to use an indirect that centers on yourself, and I'm still not sure if you're safe. Is the caster safe from a standard Fireball if he casts it too close?
I donīt think so. It is a "real" effect that harms everybody. If you cast a fireball on an enemy 2 meters away you are toast, too. Of course you can do it and use your spell defense against your own magic, but it is very dangerous. I offered this solution to my comrades in one of the last runs and they declined. ^^
Yerameyahu
That was my assumption, too, but my rules-fu is weaker on magic than other areas. smile.gif But, for the direct combat version you just need multi-LOS, so I feel like that would be enough for many circumstances. Unless you're really dying to hit people right behind you, you can get a nice big arc with the existing Stunball spell. If it helps, you can drop prone and look up, or dodge backwards to get a wider view.

Now, the AoE Aura would probably also hurt your friends, even though you are safe; and it has to be a real element, so you can't just make an anti-spirit field. :/ Hmm. At a certain point, these limitations are intentional. Magic has inconvenient rules.
Ascalaphus
I'm having trouble understanding why people are so upset about a spell that causes BGC while being sustained. I'd just do it like this:

"This spell creates a BGC equal to its Force / 2 (rounded down) in Force meters around the caster; the caster is also negatively affected by the BGC, but this doesn't hinder sustaining the BGC. The BGC travels with the caster, but will not overrule any other BGC effect of equal or greater strength."

And then experiment with a Drain value until you find a balanced value.

---

Similarly, I don't see any problems with Burst/Big Aura spells. The idea about LOS is mostly that you can't cast through walls or at things you don't know are there. I can certainly envision a fireblast radiating out from the mage (he knows his own location) Force meters.

It's not an outrageous concept. Just give it a balanced Drain value.
Yerameyahu
I wouldn't say people are any amount of upset. smile.gif It's not a question of writing a balanced spell, it's a question of 'does magic do that in SR4?'

Again, LOS is utterly fundamental in SR4 magic. You can't suddenly make something that doesn't use it just because 'it's not unbalanced'. However, I think you'll find that we weren't saying LOS applied to indirect or aura spells. It'd be the direct ones that couldn't.

Altering Fireball (AoE, target anywhere, no safety) into Fireburst (AoE, origin=caster, caster-safe) is probably feasible, but it's not clear if it's *possible*. Lacking RAW guidance, the GM will have to decide if SR4 magic works like that. My position (at the moment) is that it does, based on the precedent of Element Aura.
Machiavelli
UI am off-books but IIRC there is no drain-modifier for sustained spells in comparison with instant spells. So the drain would anyway be the same, wouldnīt it?
Yerameyahu
Number one, why do you ask? Did someone suggest that?

Second, there is if we're already breaking the rules. smile.gif There's no such thing as a sustained combat spell, direct or indirect. In most cases, instant spells can't even be logically made sustained, nor vice versa. Imagine an instant Increased Strength, or a sustained fireball. Doesn't even make sense, from that perspective.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 27 2011, 01:50 PM) *

Second, there is if we're already breaking the rules. smile.gif There's no such thing as a sustained combat spell, direct or indirect. In most cases, instant spells can't even be logically made sustained, nor vice versa. Imagine an instant Increased Strength, or a sustained fireball. Doesn't even make sense, from that perspective.

We've had someone tack Duration: 2 minutes on a fireball spell in Ars Magica. It was monstrous devil.gif But those are the risks of a modular magic system.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Sep 27 2011, 03:06 PM) *
We've had someone tack Duration: 2 minutes on a fireball spell in Ars Magica. It was monstrous devil.gif But those are the risks of a modular magic system.

What? It took two minutes to bloom out from a point to a 5 meter radius fireball? That's not much of an explosion. wobble.gif
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Sep 27 2011, 02:26 PM) *
What? It took two minutes to bloom out from a point to a 5 meter radius fireball? That's not much of an explosion. wobble.gif

No, the explosion continued for two minutes, doing damage every round...
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 27 2011, 12:50 PM) *

No. 1: no, it was just for my next mental step.^^
No. 2: didnīt we talk about an AOE version of elemental aura? Elemental Aura is not a combat spell, it is manipulation. I cannot cross-check the rules at the moment, but IIRC there is no additional modifier for drain if you have an instant spell or a sustained. So it doesnīt matter if you create a (non-rule-conform, i know) sustained fireball OR an AOE verion of elemtal aura. The drain should be roughly equal. So why should you start to bend and brake rules if an AOE-version of EA is absolutely rule-conform?
Minimax le Rouge
a power 6 spirit materialize in front of me and engage close combat?
sure no problem, i cast my BC-spell and i kick him with a grapefruit spoon just to be sure he feel humiliated.

Oh have you noticed i casted the spell on a sustaining focus. So as an initiate, do i have the filtering technique, or am i a geomancer? Munchkin you said?
Machiavelli
So you want to say there is some space for abusal? Hmmm...never thought about it. ^^ I was thinking more of "20 force 4-6 bug spirits materialize or come closer and i cast my BC spell and they all go *poof*". Regarding filtering, i would adjust the spell that it cannot be done. The intention of the spell is self defense. I know, you all are shocked to hear this from a powergamer...but maybe i get old...^^
Yerameyahu
Elemental Aura is sustained, though (and never AoE). To make an instant version would be pretty close to nonsensical, which was my point. smile.gif There's not rule for instant<->sustained because there's never any question. Anything we do here is *not* within the rules; we're deciding if that's okay.

In that last post, you described Slaughter Spirits. If it's a sustained anti-spirit field, that's different. If it's an AoE dispel, that's different, or a sustained 'dispel field'. The differences matter. smile.gif
HunterHerne
On my suggested spell: It probably would have the mage as a target, but I do like the idea of it not including him (both as a GM, and a player), and being indirect, would fry people behind as well as in front of, including allies.

Other then that, secondary effects can be a bitch,as a strong enough fire spell (at least) will still leave things ablaze. Remember, fire causes environmental effects, and generally speaking, anything that takes more damage then it has modified armour value catches fire. This resulting fire will start at the same rating as the force of the spell, and is not effected by the Mage's counterspell for resistance/avoidance.

That said, other elemental effects might be nicer to have this effect with...
Yerameyahu
Yes, I could see allowing a special class of 'burst' spells, which are AoE indirect instants centered on the caster without hitting him. As I said, the fact that Element Aura exists, and Fireball exists, seems to be adequate precedent. The exact DV would be simply dialed in for balance.
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 27 2011, 03:28 PM) *
Yes, I could see allowing a special class of 'burst' spells, which are AoE indirect instants centered on the caster without hitting him. As I said, the fact that Element Aura exists, and Fireball exists, seems to be adequate precedent. The exact DV would be simply dialed in for balance.

I think we misunderstood each other. This was basically what i wanted to say. For me it was "why should we discuss about a self-centre-fireball if you can have the same effect without hitting yourself, absolutely within RAW, if you just add AOE to an existing spell." And even better, the effect is already sustained, so you can fry them more than once.^^
Yerameyahu
My point is that that's totally outside of the RAW. Element Aura has no AoE, and can't. Fireball isn't sustained, and can't be, *and* hurts the caster (and can't not). We have to decide what parts of RAW can be changed without breaking the reality-rules of SR magic.
Machiavelli
No, elemental aura has no AOE acc. to RAW, but the rules give you the possibility to alter the range of every spell. So acc. to RAW it is possible. Fireball is a combat spell and that these cannot be of anything else than instant duration is mentioned in the books. So we are completely not braking any rules here...if we stick to the AOE version of elemental aura.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012