Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun: Our Orks Are Cuter
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Wakshaani
So, the people have spoken... next year's Shadowrun needs to have a throwback to classic suits and ever-lovin' hats.

HATS!
Backgammon
QUOTE (Faraday @ Oct 17 2011, 06:45 AM) *
This just convinces me even further that Fallout is pretty much a textbook chronicling the future.

On topic. I like the character and the illustration is pretty amazing. Damn fine artwork from the small SURGEd horns to the blood-spattered boots.

I visualize and imagine the SR world as a combination of Ghost in the Shell, Blade Runner, and Deus Ex.

The Gentlemen, a gang detailed in the PDF "10 Gangs" book, are a Hong Kong gang dedicated to impersonating 1930's america gangsters. Convergence of Fallout Vegas meets Ghost in the Shell. CRAZYNESS
Cenobite
QUOTE (Shortcake @ Oct 16 2011, 02:53 PM) *
Hello, all!

Hi! Personally, I like your character and hope you have a lot of fun with it.

QUOTE (tehana @ Oct 16 2011, 05:26 PM) *
Hey guys.

I thought you were dead.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Shortcake @ Oct 16 2011, 08:53 PM) *
Shortcake, is, as you all pointed out, very obvious. She is not sneaky. She is not intended to be sneaky, and in fact provides a wonderful distraction for the rest of the team. As some of you have said, she would draw fire and likely be shot at first. While some might consider this an insult, Shortcake is the tank of the group. She can handle being shot at and can handle taking bullets, providing a meat shield between the enemies and her more squishy friends. As well, all eyes are drawn to her whenever she walks into an area, and that means all those eyes are now off of her friends, which mean those sneaky-types in the group have an easier time of slipping past guards, getting into a building, etc.

TV Tropes have a term for a similar thing - "Obfuscating Stupidity". When people see a ditzy ork in a pink dress, they don't suppose she's going to whip out an assault rifle and mow them down the next moment, throw a grenade and backflip into cover or just wave her hand and the next thing they know they're on their backs trying to recall what brand of truck just ran them over. Knowing cultural osmosis, Shibuya fashion is probably going to become de rigueur for rebellious teens who go clubbing instead of studying for 16 hours a day - the "useless but harmless" type.
I made a similar character for Vampire the Masquerade once. Maybe not so out there, but still, she usually wore flower-print clothes and acted like a kid (looking like a 15-year-old didn't help).
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Cenobite @ Oct 17 2011, 11:30 PM) *
I thought you were dead.

Thought you were.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (tehana @ Oct 16 2011, 11:26 PM) *
Hey guys.

QUOTE (Cenobite @ Oct 18 2011, 06:30 AM) *
I thought you were dead.

QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Oct 18 2011, 02:36 PM) *
Thought you were.

Now ain't that shadowtalk at its finest. nyahnyah.gif
ShadowJackal
QUOTE (Cenobite @ Oct 18 2011, 05:30 AM) *
I thought you were dead.

Aww I missed you too <3
Grinder
This is no IC-thread, mkay?
CanRay
I thought they'd be taller, myself.
Shortcake
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Oct 18 2011, 01:30 AM) *
TV Tropes have a term for a similar thing - "Obfuscating Stupidity". When people see a ditzy ork in a pink dress, they don't suppose she's going to whip out an assault rifle and mow them down the next moment, throw a grenade and backflip into cover or just wave her hand and the next thing they know they're on their backs trying to recall what brand of truck just ran them over. Knowing cultural osmosis, Shibuya fashion is probably going to become de rigueur for rebellious teens who go clubbing instead of studying for 16 hours a day - the "useless but harmless" type.
I made a similar character for Vampire the Masquerade once. Maybe not so out there, but still, she usually wore flower-print clothes and acted like a kid (looking like a 15-year-old didn't help).

Gotta love TV Tropes. Thank you, that's a good term to describe her.
I'm ashamed to say I've never played Vampire, though I'd love to some day. Your character sounds very disarming, in all senses of the word! Hurrah for obfuscating stupidity.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Shortcake @ Oct 18 2011, 07:04 PM) *
Gotta love TV Tropes. Thank you, that's a good term to describe her.
I'm ashamed to say I've never played Vampire, though I'd love to some day. Your character sounds very disarming, in all senses of the word! Hurrah for obfuscating stupidity.

Yeah, you don't expect a fifteen-year-old to suddenly whip out a pistol from her cute backpack, do a backflip behind the couch and shoot two mooks armed with submachine guns, then shout "That was fun!" to another PC who was searching a nearby room. Also, she was a very sane Malkavian. All three of her personalities were.
During a PBF campaign that was a little more epic than expected, she also had an interesting method of shaking off mind probes.
CanRay
"Want to probe my memories? Fine, I've seen John Diefenbaker naked!"
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 19 2011, 12:43 AM) *

Well, almost. Ponies, bubblegum and stuff like that. If she was nice.
Blade
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 18 2011, 06:10 PM) *
I thought they'd be taller, myself.

grinbig.gif
pbangarth
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 18 2011, 06:43 PM) *

*shudder* I can just imagine where else he had hanging jowls.
KarmaInferno
Relevant link is relevant.

-k
ShadowJackal
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 31 2011, 01:19 PM) *

Weird timing! Totally just posted this in the Ladies thread.
Paul
Things like that weapon are why characters that use them, or use a style like the Ork earlier in the thread would quickly end up quickly dead, under arrest or as a volunteer for some sort of corporate program that's test driving the latest cybergadget or retrovirus in mine own game. Distinctive style say hello to the modern world.
CanRay
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 31 2011, 08:19 AM) *
"Where the bloody hell did you get that?" "Stole it off some little girl at the gun range. I figure after this job, we'll have to ditch all the weapons, so I wanted something I wouldn't feel bad tossing away." "Oh... That makes sense." "SQUEE! Jimmy! You brought me a present!" "Oh, um, yeah, here you go. Sorry it's not in Troll size, but I figure Dan can fix that. ... Damnit, now I need a new weapon. And headache tablets, Troll Girl Squees always give me a headache."
Neurosis
can't make myself unsee
outlawwolf
I love Shortcake. I'm always trying to imagine what the world of Shadowrun would look like and it depresses me that most people tend to go with the over saturation of Matrix people styles. Characters like this really give me a sense of individual and cultural identity within the world.
Tanegar
For the record, I'd totally tap Shortcake. Ork girls are hot.
CanRay
I'll freely admit that a lot of my characters are given to lined coats, but a lot of them give some individuality to them. Buttons, zippers, chains, airbrushed art, studs and spikes, stuff like that. They also have a few other outfits, some for work, some for personal time. The longcoats are for when they're packing heavy for the most part.

Also, being as I have most of my characters in Seattle, the coats are perfect for the perpetually cold rain.

Nas is the one exception, as he mostly wears a heavy high quality synthleather armoured jacket (Bike Cop Cut) most of the time, that's heavily scuffed and beaten up, but well cared for.
Ol' Scratch
I can't remember the last time I saw a "Matrix" stylized character in a game whatsoever.
EKBT81
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 1 2011, 06:46 AM) *
I'll freely admit that a lot of my characters are given to lined coats, but a lot of them give some individuality to them. Buttons, zippers, chains, airbrushed art, studs and spikes, stuff like that. They also have a few other outfits, some for work, some for personal time. The longcoats are for when they're packing heavy for the most part.

And it's not like a character with a longcoat has to look like a Matrix cosplayer. AFAIK they were always described as being available in many different styles. If anything the text implied more a neo-western style, likening them to old west dusters. I think that's also how longcoats were often depicted in 1E/2E artwork. Though I wonder if they were also partly inspired by Deckard's coat in Blade Runner.

QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Nov 1 2011, 07:00 AM) *
I can't remember the last time I saw a "Matrix" stylized character in a game whatsoever.

I guess the Matrix style began to go out of fashion when the sequels were released. grinbig.gif

Actually in my games the "Neo" style very quickly became a sort of running joke as "poser" wear. To the point that a self-respecting character would wear anything but black leather coats and mirrorshades.
CanRay
What's wrong with Mirrorshades?
EKBT81
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 1 2011, 07:18 AM) *
What's wrong with Mirrorshades?

Nothing with mirrorshades as such.

Black clothing is fine on its own. Leather is fine on its own. Coats are fine on their own. Mirrorshades are fine on their own. It's the combination of the elements into the "Neo" look that somehow came across to us as a hackneyed cliché.
CanRay
OK, good. Mirrorshades have a long and honorable tradition in Cyberpunk. cyber.gif
Saint Hallow
QUOTE (EKBT81 @ Nov 1 2011, 12:27 AM) *
Nothing with mirrorshades as such.

Black clothing is fine on its own. Leather is fine on its own. Coats are fine on their own. Mirrorshades are fine on their own. It's the combination of the elements into the "Neo" look that somehow came across to us as a hackneyed cliché.

What about fingerless gloves?
EKBT81
I don't recall Neo wearing those, so I guess you're good to go with my blessing. (Although you'd better be careful about fingerprints.) wink.gif

As an aside, recently I've looked up the archetypes in the 2E BBB. Some of those come rather close to giving Shortcake a run for her money regarding daring color schemes.
Saint Hallow
I'm just recalling from CP2020 the "affectations" table for character appearance & what the character would wear to make them look "edgy, cyberpunk-cool". Mirrorshades (or gargoyle sunglasses), fingerless gloves, and leather were all listed.
EKBT81
Yes, now I (dimly) recall those too. I've never played CP2020 but I've read the books for stuff that could be adapted to SR. One of the chromebooks also had a nice set of fashion plates. I guess the 80s vibe was even stronger in CP2020 than in early-edition SR.
Saint Hallow
CP2020 had some awesome gear, cyber, & weapons that should've belonged in SR. I heard someone took the stuff from CP2020 & found a way to convert it for SR 2nd ed. Never got to play it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Oct 31 2011, 11:20 PM) *
CP2020 had some awesome gear, cyber, & weapons that should've belonged in SR. I heard someone took the stuff from CP2020 & found a way to convert it for SR 2nd ed. Never got to play it.

I think that I have that data somewhere on my system. It was interesting smile.gif
CanRay
I know an old website I used to frequent did it the other way. My group played CP2020, but my GM didn't allow "Home Brewed" items. frown.gif

"Bad enough that there's Gatling Shotguns." Which, I have to admit, was bad enough... Especially when used on a crowd of hired protestors working for Kibble ("Human Chow" brand, which when you add water makes its own gravy!). We were the ones that hired the protestors, BTW. Made for great TV!
EKBT81
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Nov 1 2011, 07:20 AM) *

I guess that would be Gurth. You can download his SR2 conversions of the Chromebooks and Blackhand’s Street Weapons from the Plastic Warriors website.
Paul
For my own purposes a middle ground exist's between the Pink Mohawk and Mirror Shades on Leather crowd. Every tool has it purpose, and should be used accordingly. Improvisation is always welcome but why make things more complex than they need to be? I also don't think either is representative of all sides of the issue, nor does either have a monopoly on good times and good humor.
CanRay
Bringing us back to cuter: An online friend of mine got this pic in the mail.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 1 2011, 05:39 PM) *

How..... Disturbing.
Saint Hallow
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 1 2011, 06:39 PM) *

I think it's cute... & adds a spin to firearms that hopefully make it more "female friendly". Not that guns need to be, but social morays & all that crap... sometimes making guns more palatable to others is the only way to keep them from being phased out due to some people's reactions to them & how they are portrayed.

2nd thing that went through my mind was if they made a Hello Kitty gun, I wonder if they make Transformers or ThunderCats versions? If the girls get something, why not the boys?
CanRay
They did.

He's called "Megatron", and he's a P-38. nyahnyah.gif
KarmaInferno
You should see the reports on how cops are reacting.

There was even an internal police report circulating warning sheriffs to watch for gang members wielding painted assault rifles. It had the picture of one of the Hello Kitty rifles, conveniently leaving out the information that the pictured weapon was perfectly legal and in the custody of a licensed registered owner. It also failed to note that gang members don't USE assault rifles, painted or otherwise, they prefer pistols which can easily be concealed.

They were harassing one firearms modification business that offered painting services, completely failing to consider that they only work on legitimate legal firearms, and criminals wouldn't be using a legit service anyhow.

-k
CanRay
Don't get me started, KI... Really, don't.
Seriously Mike
Pistols can be painted too. Also, you never know when some dumb-ass bangers get the idea to buy themselves an AK or two, just to show off. Hollywood gives them the craziest ideas.
CanRay
Crazy like this?
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 2 2011, 08:32 AM) *

Screw that. You know you want your gun gold plated, diamond studded, and engraved.
ShadowJackal
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Nov 2 2011, 05:20 AM) *
I think it's cute... & adds a spin to firearms that hopefully make it more "female friendly". Not that guns need to be, but social morays & all that crap... sometimes making guns more palatable to others is the only way to keep them from being phased out due to some people's reactions to them & how they are portrayed.

Maybe its just because of the area I grew up in, but I didn't need a gun painted pink to be interested. I will say, I am not a current gun owner for a myriad of reasons but I would go shooting right this moment without a pink Hello Kitty gun.

The thought of a pink or Hello Kitty emblazoned gun just doesn't appeal to me, and I'm a huge girly girl. Everything I own is basically pink or Hello Kitty, its just doesn't conjugate properly in my head. I would be sorely disappointed if this was the way to bring women into firearms.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Nov 2 2011, 08:07 AM) *
Screw that. You know you want your gun gold plated, diamond studded, and engraved.

That actually hurt my eyes. Horrible. sarcastic.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 2 2011, 09:52 AM) *
That actually hurt my eyes. Horrible. sarcastic.gif

Keeping in mind that it was taken with a still camera pointed (poorly) at a CRT television set hooked up to an XBucks.

It's lamentably, the best picture I could find. It's more hilarious when you get the "my gun has a shield!" mod, then pimp the gun. The entire shield gets diamond studs, for no reason.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012