Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are metavariants steeply overpriced?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
snowRaven
QUOTE (Glyph @ Feb 9 2012, 04:59 AM) *
Instant spells are not reduced in Force - rather, the drain is increased by the background count, as well as the Magic attribute itself being reduced. Casters are basically penalized twice already - reducing spell force would be triply penalizing them.

The rules for background count, as presented, seem to assume a mage that is physically present in the background count. But if you look at the entries for astral hazing (both in Augmentation, under cyberzombies, and in Runner's Companion, under SURGE), it says "This astral haze affects all attempts to cast magic on, at, or in the vicinity of the character." In other words, the usual rules for background counts apply for, say, trying to manabolt a character with astral hazing.

This. So much this.
Machiavelli
This topic came up so often and still no final official or semi-official answer? No errata, no FAQ-update?
UmaroVI
Errata, lol. The FAQ still has entries that predate SR4A and contradict SR4A's updated rules.
Machiavelli
I really admire the output the actual guys show (shiny new books, interesting topics, great graphics, very less "bad" things like e.g. WAR) but erratas and updated FAQ´s are also really important for games with so much written content. There is an official forum and a well-established traditional one (yes, i talk about you good ol´ Dumpshock) where all really important questions came up several times. Is it really that difficult to sit down together or simply send a mail to give us mere mundanes a short answer and end all this useless discussions of RAI´s vs. the neverending nitpicking of RAW´s? Come on, some officials are also here on the forum, there are several freelancers around....show some mercy and tell us how this f**ck s**it really works. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?
Stahlseele
Best part of it:
Germany got the Official Errata.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 10 2012, 01:50 PM) *
Best part of it:
Germany got the Official Errata.

Yeah, yeah...you got the short end of the SR-stick for years, and now you're making up for it by giving it to the non-german world nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
*pats his germany only BOOKS*
snowRaven
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 10 2012, 09:34 PM) *
*pats his germany only BOOKS*

Bastards. nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
Bastards the lot of you, I say!
Irion
@Stahlseele
The errata is only written into the books, isn't it?
In which one?
I thought somebody wanted to write it down and translate it?
Stahlseele
No, the Errata got worked into the books that got errata in the first place.
So to find the errata, you'd have to compare an old one with a new one.
See what's different and then write the differences down and translate it.
Also, Bogota! for example got some bigger changes if i remember correctly.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 11 2012, 11:24 AM) *
No, the Errata got worked into the books that got errata in the first place.
So to find the errata, you'd have to compare an old one with a new one.
See what's different and then write the differences down and translate it.
Also, Bogota! for example got some bigger changes if i remember correctly.

Are the aircraft carriers in the german version still submersible? grinbig.gif
ravensmuse
All right, so, honest question. What do people think meta-variants should be priced? For that matter, how should AIs and Free Spirits be priced?

Because hoo boy, they sure are tempting at 200 BP... rotfl.gif

I'm opposed to "rarity tax". I agree that there should be some sort of limitation to prevent people from Powergaming With Meta-variants, but my Sixth World is weird. I'd like to see more of them in my world, not less.
Yerameyahu
It's just sad, though. The world is plenty weird *without* everyone being a SURGEd troll(Fomori) ghoul(Sasobonsam)(infertile) with Astral Hazing, or every face a dryad, etc. To focus only on the ultra-exceptional slights all the 'normal' weirdness. smile.gif Even ignoring the powergaming, as you say, you're still left with the 'ultra-weird' effect.
Mäx
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Feb 11 2012, 07:12 PM) *
I'm opposed to "rarity tax".

I simply call it "get more qualities then others" tax wink.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Feb 11 2012, 02:07 PM) *
Are the aircraft carriers in the german version still submersible? grinbig.gif

Nope, our carriers are not that advanced frown.gif

biggrin.gif
Glyph
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Feb 11 2012, 08:12 AM) *
I'm opposed to "rarity tax". I agree that there should be some sort of limitation to prevent people from Powergaming With Meta-variants, but my Sixth World is weird. I'd like to see more of them in my world, not less.

The problem isn't with an overall "rarity tax", but with metavariant costs being all over the place, with little rhyme or reason. Personally, I think it is better for the GM to revise the costs on an individual basis, rather than overhauling everything. Make things like night ones and xapiri thepe only cost the base 30 points, and make oni and nartaki only cost 20 points, for example.
bobbaganoosh
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Feb 11 2012, 08:12 AM) *
All right, so, honest question. What do people think meta-variants should be priced? For that matter, how should AIs and Free Spirits be priced?

Because hoo boy, they sure are tempting at 200 BP... rotfl.gif

Or Dragons. Those cost 300 BP, IIRC.
Draco18s
QUOTE (bobbaganoosh @ Feb 11 2012, 04:12 PM) *
Or Dragons. Those cost 300 BP, IIRC.

Admittedly, it was an april fools joke. wink.gif
bobbaganoosh
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 11 2012, 01:18 PM) *
Admittedly, it was an april fools joke. wink.gif

Yes, but the cost was mostly balanced. And dragons are awesome.
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Glyph @ Feb 11 2012, 02:42 PM) *
The problem isn't with an overall "rarity tax", but with metavariant costs being all over the place, with little rhyme or reason. Personally, I think it is better for the GM to revise the costs on an individual basis, rather than overhauling everything. Make things like night ones and xapiri thepe only cost the base 30 points, and make oni and nartaki only cost 20 points, for example.

See, you pretty much said what I think. I have no problem with charging a little extra for some metavariants - and a little bit more for the truly crazy stuff like HMHVV positive folks, AIs, and Free Spirits - but I think that costs are severely out of whack.
Irion
Free spirits have to cost a lot, because they give you a lot of "those rules do not apply to you".
They suffer more from "strange ruling" than with costs.

Infected also bring a lot to the table and therefor have to cost a lot. A minor problem is that there are thing which give you a lot (beeing a mage) but cost very little(15BP).
This comes down to: Want you be an elf or a mage?
ElFenrir
Admittedly, we play with the old RC Karma rules and let metatypes be free, but we do play slightly more high end games.

That being said, I definitely am not for the rarity tax on metahumans or metavariants. On top of that, though, there has been times where I would play a metavariant without one of their more powerful aspects.

The reason I like Fomori is because A. I like playing The Big Strong Guy, and B. I like some of my characters to be 'lookers.' Being the 'Pretty Trolls', with some quick Minor Biosculpting and I have a hot ass troll guy. I honestly don't *care* about the Arcane Arrester. It's awesome, yes, but I would play Fomori without it. I'd be sad if I had to pay out the nose for a quality that I could happily leave behind, just so I could play a good looking Huge Guy, since all the +Strength races tend to come with extra 'scary looking' baggage(I won't say ugly since I've seen some who were not ugly, but were just kinda scary and rawr.), and lower Charisma. (Granted, with biosculpting nowadays, I could probably take Moderate or Severe and play a regular Troll that looked like a big human dude with horns and small, well polished and cared for tusks. Granted I've seen some official art regular trolls who look really good to me, in a tough heavy metal guy way. I don't have them in front of me but I have some favorites.)

So yeah, I'm a Fomori fan just for the visuals. Arcane Arrester? Pfft. Powerful but I don't need it.
Mäx
So much with you there ElFenrir, my main character build is a Dryad combat face, thats pretty much the basic munchkin choice for that role.
But the actual reason i went with a Dryad is that Symbiosis just pretty much explains half of the characters background.
Machiavelli
Combat-face....^^ Ok.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Feb 14 2012, 02:37 PM) *
Combat-face....^^ Ok.

I have a human one in SR3 O.o
Machiavelli
Basically it is a face with combat abilities, but i was thinking of a guy that is yelling at the enemies instead of shooting. ^^ Was a funny picture in my mind.^^
Stahlseele
There's an Adept-Power for that . .
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 14 2012, 09:04 AM) *
There's an Adept-Power for that . .

Two, probably.
Yerameyahu
Maybe it's hitting people with your face. Ouch.
CanRay
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Feb 14 2012, 09:55 AM) *
Basically it is a face with combat abilities, but i was thinking of a guy that is yelling at the enemies instead of shooting. ^^ Was a funny picture in my mind.^^
"How the hell can Intimidate be a combat skill?" *One 'Run Later* "You made those security guards surrender without even a shot fired. The way they were crying, I almost felt sorry for them."
Irion
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 14 2012, 04:48 PM) *
"How the hell can Intimidate be a combat skill?" *One 'Run Later* "You made those security guards surrender without even a shot fired. The way they were crying, I almost felt sorry for them."

"Almost? So I have failed..."
Saint Sithney
Am I the only one who just assumed that the writers made night ones cost so much more than they're worth in order to fuck with people who wanted to play "a Drow" in Shadowrun?
Stahlseele
And if that's the case, i am okay with that . .
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Me Too... smile.gif
Yerameyahu
Freaking drow.
NiL_FisK_Urd
I play a night-one in one of my groups, but we just ignore the "nocturnal" quality, because it is utterly stupid.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Feb 14 2012, 02:09 PM) *
I play a night-one in one of my groups, but we just ignore the "nocturnal" quality, because it is utterly stupid.

Then you are not really playing a Night One are you? smile.gif
NiL_FisK_Urd
sure i am ^^
Glyph
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Feb 14 2012, 12:57 PM) *
Am I the only one who just assumed that the writers made wakyambi/night ones cost so much more than they're worth in order to fuck with people who wanted to play "a Drow" in Shadowrun?

Night ones are the combo furry/Drow elves, and xapiri thepe are the one-with-nature hippie elves. I said something similar half-jokingly on an earlier thread - that they made these gimped metavariants with wangsty backgrounds for the Stormwind-style "roleplayers", and the gnomes, fomori, and ogres for the powergamers.

Wakyambi aren't one of the options I consider bad, though. They get two of the more useful 5-point advantages for an extra 5 points, so if you give them -5 for their distinctive appearance, they about break even with normal elves.
Machiavelli
Ogres for powergamers? What abilities do they have? I only remember "ogre-stomach".
NiL_FisK_Urd
yeah, for free.
unsound
Not quite. Ogres, like every other metavariant, get saddled with a Distinctive Style flaw that they don't get any points for. Personally, I'd rather be a normal ork and not draw nearly as much attention than have an extra tough stomach.
Irion
@Machiavelli
They are orcs, just better.
One additional merit and a bit better looking...

And 20% down on lifestyle cost and a bit resistance to ingested toxins ain't bad.
Yerameyahu
I wouldn't call them Distinctive, no.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 15 2012, 06:55 AM) *
I wouldn't call them Distinctive, no.

I remember RC specifically saying that "all advanced character options come with the distinctive style quality for freesies."

GM call, natch.
Yerameyahu
That's true, when you put it that way. smile.gif I meant that an ogre on the street isn't very distinctive; I agree that (AFAIK) the rules say everything gets that.
Irion
Again it depends, Ogers in France or Germany would really not have much of a problem.
Maybe in seattle it is a bit worse for them...

Udoshi
QUOTE (unsound @ Feb 15 2012, 04:57 AM) *
Not quite. Ogres, like every other metavariant, get saddled with a Distinctive Style flaw that they don't get any points for. Personally, I'd rather be a normal ork and not draw nearly as much attention than have an extra tough stomach.

I dunno about you, but I once made an ogre samurai with a digestive expansion and vegsin. Took human looking and bought off the automatic distinctive style.

50% off lifestyle owns so hard its not funny.
Yerameyahu
As always, clearly abusive. smile.gif Food shouldn't be 50% of your lifestyle even if you stopped eating entirely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012