Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: House Rules : Programs not replacing attributes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
TheeGravedigger
So, there's the issue in our game that we have too many technically skilled players at the table and the hacking rules rub them the wrong way.

The house rule we came up with is Programs provide a 2x cap for hacking tests, which are now Skill+AA

So to browse, it's Logic+Data Search capped At 2x browse program rating.

Also, the skill determines the number of usages in the extended tests. It's rating+1 rolls on them in our system.
So, when Data Searching with a skill of 3, you make a maximum of 4 rolls.

Thoughts?

Makki
that's not a house rule. that's an Optional Rule from Unwired, which works fine for hackers, but sucks for TMs
Yerameyahu
There are also drawbacks for non-technos. For example, there's very little reason to get programs above rating 3-4, so hackers will save even more money.

As for limited extended tests, it unreasonably hurts low-skill users/agents. Googling isn't something that I should autofail if I don't have a Professional-level skill.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 20 2012, 11:21 AM) *
There are also drawbacks for non-technos. For example, there's very little reason to get programs above rating 3-4, so hackers will save even more money.

As for limited extended tests, it unreasonably hurts low-skill users/agents. Googling isn't something that I should autofail if I don't have a Professional-level skill.

Googling for Sensitive information, on the other hand.... smile.gif
JonathanC
How exactly does this hurt Technomancers? They're already going to have high mental attributes. If you're worried about Threading being pointless, well...maybe have high program ratings add extra dice? Say, anything above 6?
UmaroVI
It's more that it creates the One True Technomancer, and if you aren't that technomancer, you cry yourself to sleep at night - that technomancer being a lightly-cybered Logic stream technomancer with very minimal CFs, who is better than "normal" technos under the default ruleset while every other type of techno is dramatically worse.
JonathanC
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Mar 20 2012, 11:38 AM) *
It's more that it creates the One True Technomancer, and if you aren't that technomancer, you cry yourself to sleep at night - that technomancer being a lightly-cybered Logic stream technomancer with very minimal CFs, who is better than "normal" technos under the default ruleset while every other type of techno is dramatically worse.

True, but the alternative is a system in which Logic, the attribute linked to hacking and computer skills, is of absolutely no use to Hackers.
TheeGravedigger
I need to reread unwired, I didn't remember that was an optional rule in there.

The main thing reason for that rule is that knowing what terms to search with is a skill, as is the logical extension of the search parameters, using your logic.

TheeGravedigger
Assuming a data search of 1 and an average logic, say 3, that's 8 dice to get 1 hit. Allow buying of hits, you're fine for basic information.
UmaroVI
Things that are "Public Knowledge" (the lowest possible category) are actually Threshold 6. SR4A p230. So you get to roll 8 dice, then 7 dice, and need 6 total hits - not very good odds.
bibliophile20
I've been playing with something similar to this rule for about six months, and it's been working well in our game; for the issue of technomancers, I went with Stream Attribute + Skill, capped by Complex Form rating, which also makes thematic sense as well (some technomancers view their abilities as being "good with code" and therefore use Logic, while others see themselves as asking electronics nicely for favors and therefore use Charisma, etc and so forth)
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (TheeGravedigger @ Mar 20 2012, 03:04 PM) *
I need to reread unwired, I didn't remember that was an optional rule in there.

The main thing reason for that rule is that knowing what terms to search with is a skill, as is the logical extension of the search parameters, using your logic.

I used it for a while but went back dropped it in my new campaign. The advantage is it makes sense, and your mental attributes a factor (for hackers). For Technos it worked fairly similarly. The problem being that it resulted in the highest program rating always winning (BTW-the optional rule limits hits to the rating of the program). Technos had an easy time of it since they could just thread up their stealth programs, blow a point of edge and then not be touchable by anything but a mil grade firewall+analyze. There were also some loopholes in the rules sets (such as NPC in published adventures) not being design with that in mind.

Irion
First of all, it really depends.

If you generate with BP, yes this houseroule will hurt TMs. (Because with BP they will probably get 10 Progs at raiting 5 or 6 to start with)
If you generate with Karma, it might even be better for TMs. (Because they can't afford a raiting higher 3 or 4)
And beeing limited to 4 dice means you still might use a pool of 12... (Instead of beeing limited to a pool of 7 to 10...)
Nath
Same here. I planned on testing at some point a system where dice pool is Skill+Attribute, while program rating work a bit like melee Reach.

My first idea was to give the side with the highest program rating (or Firewall if no program is specified) +1 modifier per net rating. But except for glitches, that actually wouldn't have been very different from simply adding program rating as a modifier to each side. My second idea was to give only the hacking side a negative modifier if its program rating was below the target one. That way, there would be no gain from using a Rating 6 nova-hot latest zero-day vulnerability against a Rating 1 system that haven't seen a security patch for years, while using Rating 1 old techniques against a Rating 6 up-to-date firewall would be difficult even for a skilled hacker.

The next problem was that Browse, Command, Edit and Scan rating no longer had a meaning, since they're never opposed to a hacking program. For Browse and San, maybe consider data storage or bandwith somehow "defend" themselves with a Rating showing how complex they are. For Command an Edit, no idea.
Yerameyahu
I know we've had this exact conversation before, but I swear JonathanC was actually *there* for it. One problem is that the very first thing you did was suggest a new rule to compensate for *this* rule. biggrin.gif So you're adding programs back in again.

The idea that Logic 'should' be required for using hacking programs is an opinion, that's all. It's important not to take the position that low-Logic hackers are 'cheating' or something. It's also important to realize that this Optional Rule has significant repercussions that you have to deal with (but I'm not saying it's impossible to do so).

The proposed limit on Extended tests feels like a serious mistake. Program hit-capping isn't a major problem, if you don't care about the only programs worth having being Rating 2-4. The Extended test limitation, on the other hand, is just crippling for anyone who's not Pro or above. Together, both of these rules significantly discourage non-expert hackers from even trying. This may be what you want, but the baseline concept of SR4 seems to be that anyone can and should do a little bit of Matrix. smile.gif

I'm sure we could dig up the old threads, I thought we came up with some decent ideas about how to make Logic matter for hacking, without crushing the lowbies or ignoring high-rating programs.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Nath @ Mar 20 2012, 02:59 PM) *
The next problem was that Browse, Command, Edit and Scan rating no longer had a meaning, since they're never opposed to a hacking program. For Browse and San, maybe consider data storage or bandwith somehow "defend" themselves with a Rating showing how complex they are. For Command an Edit, no idea.

That was also my problem, I started thinking things through and felt like I was going to have to rwrite most of the hacking rules.

@Yerameyahoo:Yeah I remember that thread (it was a 12 pager or something), anyway one of the things brought up was that logic does matter when scratch building programs.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Mar 20 2012, 01:19 PM) *
That was also my problem, I started thinking things through and felt like I was going to have to rwrite most of the hacking rules.

@Yerameyahoo:Yeah I remember that thread (it was a 12 pager or something), anyway one of the things brought up was that logic does matter when scratch building programs.

Who cares about building programs from scratch? It takes forever to do, and there's no real benefit to going through the trouble. The silliest thing about this is that Data Search, Computer, and Hacking (under RAW) have absolutely no reason to have linked attributes, because you never roll them with their attributes.

Even if we assume that the current system is completely fair and logical, it makes no sense for those skills to have linked attributes.

As for the older thread....I don't recall it very well. FWIW, I use the existing rules, but I still think they're kind of silly and disadvantage Hackers. Anybody with Skillwires and enough money is a replacement for a Hacker.
TheeGravedigger
I looked through Unwired, and I can't find that rule. Can you give me a page reference?
Yerameyahu
There's no reason for them *not* to have linked attributes, though. smile.gif It doesn't hurt anyone. Plus, there are things that affect Logic-linked skills that affect Matrix stuff (presumably on purpose).

JonathanC: not a 'replacement for a hacker', they *are* a hacker. Are you racist against script-kiddies? wink.gif
JonathanC
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 20 2012, 04:09 PM) *
There's no reason for them *not* to have linked attributes, though. smile.gif

Well, there's the fact that they aren't linked to anything. Your logic has no effect whatsoever on your ability to hack in Shadowrun. None whatsoever. You could (and by the rules, SHOULD) be a Logic 1 Hacker and do just as well as a Logic 6 hacker using the same tools.

I understand the concept of script kiddies and all, but shouldn't there be *some* benefit to actually being smart?

Plus, there are things that affect Logic-linked skills that affect Matrix stuff (presumably on purpose).

Errata could simply call out those skills instead. I'm not demanding a re-write or anything, I'm just saying that it's pointless to call these skills "Logic skills" when Logic doesn't do anything for them. Unless I'm missing something, smart Hackers are actually at a mechanical disadvantage versus dumb hackers because they've wasted valuable BP on something that has no bearing on their ability to hack. A dumb hacker can more easily cap their Hacking skill, or simply throw those points into hacking Qualities.

It didn't bother me before, but now that I think about it, this really bugs me. The best hackers in Shadowrun are complete morons.
Yerameyahu
I can tell it's a very emotional issue, but that's precisely the problem. smile.gif If you read the book, it explains why Logic does not affect hacking. This position is only different from yours, not worse. It's important to take a deep breath.

High-Logic individual get a huge range of skills that use Logic, including coding and patching for hackers, yes. If the coding rules suck, fix the coding rules. biggrin.gif

Having them 'pseudo-linked' to Logic doesn't hurt anyone, and why would you break something that already works, then fix it with Errata? Errata means 'errors'. wink.gif

It's a classless system, so no one is just 'a hacker'. A high-Logic hacker is good at a wide range of things the script kiddie isn't, while both might be equally good at 'hacking'.

So, after all that, I fully understand that some people still want hackers to use their Logic in real-time. That's fine, people should play the game how they like. However, it's just important to make sure the rules changes are good changes; taken alone, program-as-hit-caps is not a great change… and the extended test limit is just ruinous.
TheeGravedigger
Programs x2 as Dice Caps, for the attribute + Skill, rather than as hit caps, that's what we're looking at. With regards to things that add dice, we're adding those after the cap.

Means to get full use out of a rating 4 program, you need either 5 logic and a 3 skill, or 4 logic and 4 skill, etc. If you've got 6 logic and 4 skill, you buy a rank 5 program.

Basically the idea is that you're somewhat handicapped by the limitations of the program.
If a hacker is using a rating 2 deck he scavenged after his rating 5 deck was sabotage/trashed, he's still a decent hacker, just limited by the tools he's using.

Also now thinking perhaps the program adds some bonus dice, representing the shortcuts and tools inherent in the program. But that's mostly because of the weird logic of the tables.

As for the extended test rule, that came about because it didn't seem logical that without skill you could get the same results as someone who invested in the skill, even if it just meant you took longer.

UmaroVI
Well, that's an interesting variant that manages to catapault Logic technomancers way, way ahead of everyone else, make mundane hackers (and adept hackers especially) weep in sorrow, and makes non-Logic technomancers cut themselves to make the hurting stop.
Yerameyahu
The whole point of Extended tests is that taking longer *is* the different result, though. Especially if you're using the Diminishing Pool rules only when appropriate.

But I did misunderstand about the hit caps vs. DP caps. That's a whole different thing, so at least it encourages high-rating programs. I think it has its own drawbacks, but different ones. biggrin.gif
phlapjack77
Just to throw this out there: here are some alternate rules (VERY alternate) written up by Frank Trollman. Haven't had a chance to use them myself, so buyer beware...

Alternate Matrix rules

It's an interesting read, even if you don't use the changes.
TheeGravedigger
Well, we currently have no technomancers in our game, and the two players who expressed an interest in checking out technomancers aren't likely to die soon. So for now, those rules are only being applied to people using decks to do their hacking. If we find out it sucks for technos, or makes them not worth considering, we'll either adapt it or rule that it works differently for technomancers.

Aside from replacing Logic with whatever their resonance stat is, what other obvious fixes are there? I don't understand Technomancers, so I don't understand why this would overly effect them.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 20 2012, 04:54 PM) *
I can tell it's a very emotional issue, but that's precisely the problem. smile.gif If you read the book, it explains why Logic does not affect hacking. This position is only different from yours, not worse. It's important to take a deep breath.

High-Logic individual get a huge range of skills that use Logic, including coding and patching for hackers, yes. If the coding rules suck, fix the coding rules. biggrin.gif

Having them 'pseudo-linked' to Logic doesn't hurt anyone, and why would you break something that already works, then fix it with Errata? Errata means 'errors'. wink.gif

It's a classless system, so no one is just 'a hacker'. A high-Logic hacker is good at a wide range of things the script kiddie isn't, while both might be equally good at 'hacking'.

So, after all that, I fully understand that some people still want hackers to use their Logic in real-time. That's fine, people should play the game how they like. However, it's just important to make sure the rules changes are good changes; taken alone, program-as-hit-caps is not a great change… and the extended test limit is just ruinous.

What precisely is a high-Logic person good at? Chemistry? Is that really a role on a team? The problem with divorcing Hacking from any attribute whatsoever (which is basically what the current system does) is that it makes an entire team role replaceable with money. Going by the rules, Slamm-O should be unemployed. There's no reason to ever hire him to do anything, because you can take anyone off the street, toss a few hundred thousand nuyen on them (the same amount any hacker would have to spend) and suddenly they're the equal of the best hacker you can find. If that's acceptable for hacking, then why can't you do it for firearms too, then? Why not have magic work without attributes?
phlapjack77
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Mar 21 2012, 02:43 PM) *
What precisely is a high-Logic person good at? Chemistry?

I see your point, but there a fair amount of skills that use Logic - most of the Technical Active skills (Armorer, First Aid, Hardware, all the Mechanic stuff), Academic and Professional Knowledge skills

Less useful than, say, Agility...but more useful than Str smile.gif
StConstantine
i always liked the idea of playing a REALLY good hacker, but then just spending all my time upgrading my teams 'links and giving them pirated programs, so they all become really good hackers. Then i retire, leaving my awesome 'link and programs to my son, a druggie street sam with a big sword...

I mean lets be fair there are some rules in the book that werent quite thought out. But Logic IS a useful attribute. Anyone doing any kind of repair uses it, mages ofter use it too.

My personal favourite though goes like this.
"oh mr. GM yesterday, when i was in that warehouse yesterday, did i notice if the walls were red? And whats the name of the lady we are looking for? and how do i get back home"
"well little timmy, all these answers can be yours for just one roll of "memory""
"uhm? Memory?"
"yes timmy, memory, your logic + intuition"
"but i dont HAVE logic =[ i dumped that stat so i can get 3 more points of reaction"
"oh well thats too bad timmy, i hope you didnt leave anything important at home."
Irion
@JonathanC
Well, actually it works with firearms too.
Skillwire and ware to increase agility. (The problem here is, that there is not much around, which would stack. (Muscle toner and some general stuff)
But still, going from 3 to 8 or even 9 for money only is not that bad.

But yes, in general Logic is only usefull for mages and technomancers. But they can add up a lot of "skills" around it.
Yerameyahu
You're definitely (and still passionately) overstating your case. As noted, Logic has a ton of linked skills, and many would considering programming important for an epic hacker (Slamm-O, etc.).

And yes, Skillwires basically replaces *anything* (shooting, programming, *sculpting*, anything)… but only up to Rating 4-ish. So worry not, truly expert hackers still need skill. wink.gif

I think the fluff makes perfect sense as-is: Logic is memory and critical reasoning, *not* split-second decision-making. Hacking, esp. multi-IP VR hacking, is faster than Logic. If anything, Intuition makes sense for many things, but mostly having good programs makes sense. Unlike the movies, you don't just pop open a terminal and start hacking their firewallz. You run your programs and wait. Knowing what to use when is skill.

This is Shadowrun, money usually replaces many things. Implants and gear (like foci) for everyone! smile.gif
JonathanC
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 21 2012, 06:57 AM) *
You're definitely (and still passionately) overstating your case. As noted, Logic has a ton of linked skills, and many would considering programming important for an epic hacker (Slamm-O, etc.).

It has a ton of linked skills, yes, but none that are useful to a hacker. And an "epic" hacker would be better off with a Logic of 1. Slamm-O, assuming that he has a high Logic, would get toasted easily by anyone with the same amount of Karma/BP, because they would have started off superior to him (having spent their points on stuff that wasn't Logic) and just gotten better from there.

And yes, Skillwires basically replaces *anything* (shooting, programming, *sculpting*, anything)… but only up to Rating 4-ish. So worry not, truly expert hackers still need skill. wink.gif

Your chances of doing well in a gunfight with low Agility and a Pistol skillsoft is basically nonexistent. Your chances of successfully hacking into a secured system with low Logic and a Hacking skillsoft is comparable to a professional Hacker (assuming R4 skillwires) as you're only missing out on 2 dice in most situations (4 dice in the one situation where the hacker might be specialized). No other team role is so easily replaced. Why play a Hacker?

I think the fluff makes perfect sense as-is: Logic is memory and critical reasoning, *not* split-second decision-making. Hacking, esp. multi-IP VR hacking, is faster than Logic.

Then why is Hacking linked to Logic instead of Intuition?

Unlike the movies, you don't just pop open a terminal and start hacking their firewallz. You run your programs and wait. Knowing what to use when is skill.

Shadowrun hacking is like the movies, though. You jump into computer land and run around in virtual buildings, punching computer programs in the face until they cough up the data you want.

This is Shadowrun, money usually replaces many things. Implants and gear (like foci) for everyone! smile.gif

When you can come up with a way to turn anyone into the equal of the best Street Sam using only money, get back to me. As it is, a person optimized for combat will always be superior given the same amount of money. As it is right now, you could put Skillwires in a newborn baby and have it kick any hacker's ass in the Matrix.

Also, foci are not usable by "everyone".
Yerameyahu
Jesus.

Why are you assuming everyone has the same BP to work with, that their only goal is to monospecialize, and that there's no cap/significant diminishing returns on investment of those resources?

Agility comes from 'ware. As I said, expert hackers still need *skill*, just as real skill can beat skillwires in anything. I didn't say it replaced Agility. (Irion specifically mentioned this above me.)

God forbid multiple people be hackers in a world of ubiquitous matrix, especially if they invest significant resources. If you're worried about replacement, meet the unlocked Agent hack-in-a-box.

Presumably because it's technical? I didn't write the book, and my comment about intuition was only *my* comment.

Does punching programs in the face sound like Logic to you? wink.gif And that's totally unlike what I said. I said that, unlike in the movies where they apparently do *programming* in mid-hack, you don't do that in SR (or real life, for that matter).

I didn't say 'best', and as has already been said, you can get very good with just cash. No one said foci were for everyone. The sentence says 'gear for everyone', and I included foci because even Awakened benefit from throwing money at the problem. I'm sorry if this confused you.

--
So. Hacking takes significant investment even without Logic, and many people like to get a high Logic anyway. If you find the programming rules inadequate incentive, you could make *them* better, though many people are happy to use them. The inclusion of Logic is a matter of *taste*, not righteousness. wink.gif As I've repeatedly said, you should do that if it makes you happy… you just shouldn't act like the current rules are wrong or broken because of it, and you should make sure your 'fixes' don't break other things.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 21 2012, 09:37 AM) *
Jesus.

Why are you assuming everyone has the same BP to work with, that their only goal is to monospecialize, and that there's no cap/significant diminishing returns on investment of those resources?

Because this is a roleplaying game, and all of those things are true. The current system incentivizes you to make Logic 1 retards if you like playing Hackers, because there is absolutely no mechanical benefit to being a "smart" hacker, and doing so actually hampers you considerably.

Agility comes from 'ware. As I said, expert hackers still need *skill*, just as real skill can beat skillwires in anything. I didn't say it replaced Agility. (Irion specifically mentioned this above me.)

Agility can be *enhanced* by 'ware, and so can logic. The difference is that 'ware stacks on top of your existing Agility, so points spent on natural agility still give a benefit. Comparatively, investing in logic does nothing for a hacker. So all things being equal, if an Agility 7 Elf and an Agility 3 Troll get the same Agility 'ware, the Elf is still a better shot. But if a Logic 6 Dwarf and a Logic 1 Ork get the same commlink/programs, they're entirely equal.

God forbid multiple people be hackers in a world of ubiquitous matrix, especially if they invest significant resources. If you're worried about replacement, meet the unlocked Agent hack-in-a-box.

This isn't about being able to function on the Matrix; we're talking about hacking. Bending the matrix to your will. It's a simple question: who do you expect to be better at hacking: a genius, or a drooling man-child? In SR4, the answer is always "The drooling man-child, because he spent his points on *useful* things".

Does punching programs in the face sound like Logic to you? wink.gif And that's totally unlike what I said. I said that, unlike in the movies where they apparently do *programming* in mid-hack, you don't do that in SR (or real life, for that matter).

Perhaps, but working with computers, hacking code, etc. are things associated with mental effort of some kind. Yet mental attributes mean nothing in SR4 for hacking purposes. Again, you could stick skillwires in a baby and reasonably expect him to handle all of your hacking needs.

I didn't say 'best', and as has already been said, you can get very good with just cash. No one said foci were for everyone. The sentence says 'gear for everyone', and I included foci because even Awakened benefit from throwing money at the problem. I'm sorry if this confused you.

The point is that only the Hacker role can be completely supplanted with money.

So. Hacking takes significant investment even without Logic, and many people like to get a high Logic anyway.

It's not that significant. All you need is exploit to break in, and Stealth to avoid detection long enough to give yourself admin privileges in the system.

If you find the programming rules inadequate incentive, you could make *them* better, though many people are happy to use them. The inclusion of Logic is a matter of *taste*, not righteousness. wink.gif

This is like saying that the inclusion of Agility in the use of firearms is a matter of taste, or the inclusion of the Magic attribute in spellcasting.

As I've repeatedly said, you should do that if it makes you happy… you just shouldn't act like the current rules are wrong or broken because of it, and you should make sure your 'fixes' don't break other things.

But it *is* broken. It makes the role of the Hacker completely useless and unnecessary. For a few extra points you can give anyone the level of skill they'd need to a group's hacking.

Alternatively, you could look at it as Hackers being able to skimp on attribute spending because attributes do nothing for their core skillset. According to these rules, the average Hacker in Shadowrun should be a well-built, drooling moron.
Yerameyahu
Slamm-O is not a chargen PC. That was your own example, so it's clear we weren't talking about competing PC builds. Even if we were, 'hampers you considerably' is a gross overstatement. Neither are the other points in that sentence true: hackers (and all SR chars) frequently hybridize, there are many benefits to having Logic, and the hacker power hits diminishing returns very quickly.

Again, I said skill. I didn't say skillwires replaced agility, though spending money can certainly make you a very good sam. I never said, 'the best', and I don't see a relevant distinction between 'very good' and 'best' here. You acted like it's morally wrong that they can just throw money at the problem (nevermind that money is a character resource like any other); my point is that throwing money at problems is the basis of SR.

Logic 6 and Logic 1 aren't equal. They're only equal if you foolishly limit your focus to just hacking tests, instead of a whole character.

I didn't say 'function on the matrix'; I said 'hacking'. God forbid everyone be able to hack in Matrix 2.0 society… after investing significantly in nuyen and skill.

'Working with computers' is skill. 'Hacking code' is *programming*, not hacking nodes. And so what? That baby would be the ultimate script kiddie (albeit with skills stuck at 4-ish). biggrin.gif Oh noes!

The 'hacker role' can be completely supplanted by an Agent, by your logic. So? Is someone being hurt by this? You still have to spend the money. You're acting like money suddenly doesn't matter… in *Shadowrun*.

No. smile.gif

If you think hacking doesn't take investment, I don't even know what to say to you. Just Exploit and Stealth? Sigh. smile.gif Expert hackers simply aren't that easy to replace, and 'the hacker' is certainly (and obviously, because many people play them!) not a useless or unnecessary role. And thank god that people can do some hacking (but again, not really that much) without having to be built from the ground up as 'the hacker' and nothing else.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
@JonathanC...

Which is WHY there are OPTIONAL RULES in the Book. To address your concerns. Use them.
There are many players like you, who feel that Logic should have a roll in Hacking. There are 2 optional rules that address that issue directly.

1. Skill + Attribute, Hits Capped by Program Rating.
2. Skill + program, Hits capped by Logic.

They both work to solve your issue.

Our table is currently experimenting with another variation...

Skill + Attribute, program acts as Reach (The difference is a malus/bonus to the DP)... No Hit Caps at all. Has the benefit of helping Technomancers out as well, assuming they thread to high CF Ratings.

These all make Logic MUCH more important in the system...

As for Technomancers, we enforce the LOGIC Attribute for the actual HACKING portion (Or Appropriate Attribute for the various Matrix Action Skills), and the Stream Stat (Intuition, Charisma, etc) as the Fading Attribute. Does this have ramifications on the Technomancer... Of course it Does, but it seems to work out pretty well right now. It does not hurt that, in my opinion, the only thing that should be different from the Technomancer and the Hacker is the reliance upon Hardware/Software, Sprites, and Echoes. A Technomancer with No Echoes, and No Sprites SHOULD NOT BE so much better at Hacking than a hacker is (HIs CF's MAY be better or may not be). His biggest benefit is he DOES NOT NEED HARDWARE/SOFTWARE. smile.gif

Anyways...
Yerameyahu
Unless you care about glitches or have tiny hands, there's nothing hugely wrong with just adding all three to the DP (as mentioned earlier, and in other threads). The main benefit of this variant is that it's very simple, and doesn't have any caps (which *are* morally wrong). It gets a little tricky for some things, but every options has different issues. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 21 2012, 10:32 AM) *
Unless you care about glitches or have tiny hands, there's nothing hugely wrong with just adding all three to the DP (as mentioned earlier, and in other threads). The main benefit of this variant is that it's very simple, and doesn't have any caps (which *are* morally wrong). It gets a little tricky for some things, but every options has different issues. smile.gif

Morally Wrong? smile.gif
I tend to not like Dice Bloat, personally, but that is an option we also looked at. We did not like it, but there you go. smile.gif
JonathanC
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 21 2012, 09:24 AM) *
Slamm-O is not a chargen PC. That was your own example, so it's clear we weren't talking about competing PC builds. Even if we were, 'hampers you considerably' is a gross overstatement. Neither are the other points in that sentence true: hackers (and all SR chars) frequently hybridize, there are many benefits to having Logic, and the hacker power hits diminishing returns very quickly.

Again, I said skill. I didn't say skillwires replaced agility, though spending money can certainly make you a very good sam. I never said, 'the best', and I don't see a relevant distinction between 'very good' and 'best' here. You acted like it's morally wrong that they can just throw money at the problem (nevermind that money is a character resource like any other); my point is that throwing money at problems is the basis of SR.

Logic 6 and Logic 1 aren't equal. They're only equal if you foolishly limit your focus to just hacking tests, instead of a whole character.

I didn't say 'function on the matrix'; I said 'hacking'. God forbid everyone be able to hack in Matrix 2.0 society… after investing significantly in nuyen and skill.

They don't have to invest in skill; they can just spend enough money and be as close to equal to a "specialist" that it doesn't matter. That's the problem. I understand that there are alternate rules to address the problem, but I really do wonder what they were thinking when they made the default rules declare that any moron is equal to a genius when it comes to hacking (and only hacking).

As for the "many benefits" of Logic....it's useful, but easily the least useful of the attributes, rating just below "strength". Agility is required for any type of non-magical attack, reaction is crucial because it's your only chance at dodging (unless you give up your next turn to full dodge, and reaction is still important there), body is your damage soak *and* your health boxes, Intuition is linked to Perception, and you can't really afford to be without a good perception roll. Willpower is magic resistance plus stun boxes.

Even Charisma and strength come up more often than Logic, which is only used for technical skills, which are mostly obscure and unnecessary. Lockpicking? Just buy an autopicker. Hardware? Just buy a sequencer and/or a passkey. Software? worthless. Chemistry? Just buy your chems like a regular person, cheapskate. Armorer? The base game doesn't really have rules for armor degradation, so why bother? Mechanic skills? Niche use, probably better off taking a mechanic contact instead.

Logic simply isn't needed at all for the average Shadowrunner, while every other attribute is needed. That's all I'm saying. Yes, you *can* play a smart guy in Shadowrun, but you're basically gimping yourself for no good reason.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Mar 21 2012, 11:49 AM) *
As for the "many benefits" of Logic....it's useful, but easily the least useful of the attributes, rating just below "strength". Agility is required for any type of non-magical attack, reaction is crucial because it's your only chance at dodging (unless you give up your next turn to full dodge, and reaction is still important there), body is your damage soak *and* your health boxes, Intuition is linked to Perception, and you can't really afford to be without a good perception roll. Willpower is magic resistance plus stun boxes.

Even Charisma and strength come up more often than Logic, which is only used for technical skills, which are mostly obscure and unnecessary. Lockpicking? Just buy an autopicker. Hardware? Just buy a sequencer and/or a passkey. Software? worthless. Chemistry? Just buy your chems like a regular person, cheapskate. Armorer? The base game doesn't really have rules for armor degradation, so why bother? Mechanic skills? Niche use, probably better off taking a mechanic contact instead.

Logic simply isn't needed at all for the average Shadowrunner, while every other attribute is needed. That's all I'm saying. Yes, you *can* play a smart guy in Shadowrun, but you're basically gimping yourself for no good reason.

Again, I have to agree with Yerameyahu that you are overstating your case.

Lockpicking gets better if you have a high Logic AND the Lockpicker. Same with the Sequencer... Passkeys do not even USE a skill roll...

Software is NOT useless, you just have to make room to use it. The Hacker I play Self-Programs ALL of his software. No reason not too, and it does not even take all that long. There are rules for doing so in the book, and patching is a no-brainer.

Chemistry is good for Industrial Chemicals, Explosives and Drugs, all commodities that characters may need. yes, you can buy them, but making them can save you some Nuyen, especially if you are doing so in your safehouse while laying low.

Armorer is necessary to repair those broken weapons (Cheaper than buying a new one) or modding them out (Also cheaper than paying someone else to do it).

Mechanics skills are only niche if you rarely/never need to repair or mod a vehicle. You will not always have access to your Contacts.

Lets not forget First Aid and Medicine. Very Useful indeed.
Arcana for Spell Design, Foci Design, Ally Design, etc.
Any Professional or Academic Knowledges...
Any Computer Rolls when not actually HACKING... More common that you would think.

If your game does not use the Technical skills, you are not trying hard enough. As a Player, I tend to use them many times more, for most of my characters, than the combat skills that are listed. All in all, I tend to see more Charisma and Logic skill tests than any other in the game, outside of immediate combat, which is a small fraction of the story. smile.gif
JonathanC
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 21 2012, 10:04 AM) *
Again, I have to agree with Yerameyahu that you are overstating your case.

Lockpicking gets better if you have a high Logic AND the Lockpicker. Same with the Sequencer... Passkeys do not even USE a skill roll...

That's kind of my point...with any of these tools you can pick locks without using the skill at all. Yes, a lockpicker would be *better* at it, but you only need to be good enough.

Software is NOT useless, you just have to make room to use it. The Hacker I play Self-Programs ALL of his software. No reason not too, and it does not even take all that long. There are rules for doing so in the book, and patching is a no-brainer.

The interval for each software test to create a hacking program is 1 month; the threshold is ratingX2. So that's...what? A couple of months of coding per program? And that's assuming that you don't have anything better to do for those two months...something like, I don't know...Shadowrunning?

Chemistry is good for Industrial Chemicals, Explosives and Drugs, all commodities that characters may need. yes, you can buy them, but making them can save you some Nuyen, especially if you are doing so in your safehouse while laying low.

...which is why it's nice, but not necessary. I said that Logic wasn't necessary; this is true.

Armorer is necessary to repair those broken weapons (Cheaper than buying a new one) or modding them out (Also cheaper than paying someone else to do it).

And again, the base book has no rules for normal wear and tear on weapons and armor.

Mechanics skills are only niche if you rarely/never need to repair or mod a vehicle. You will not always have access to your Contacts.

True, but there's nothing stopping you from just looking up "mechanics" in the local directory if you need a tire changed.

Lets not forget First Aid and Medicine. Very Useful indeed.
Arcana for Spell Design, Foci Design, Ally Design, etc.
Any Professional or Academic Knowledges...
Any Computer Rolls when not actually HACKING... More common that you would think.

Arcana is nice to have, but not a necessity. First Aid/Medicine are nice, but with a couple of skill points and a high-rating Medkit, you'll have all the dice you need without investing in Logic. I've never seen anyone make a Computer roll outside of the context of hacking. Searching is Data Search + Browse, and anything else (turning on a computer, writing an email, etc.) is so simple that making someone roll for it is silly.

If your game does not use the Technical skills, you are not trying hard enough. As a Player, I tend to use them many times more, for most of my characters, than the combat skills that are listed. All in all, I tend to see more Charisma and Logic skill tests than any other in the game, outside of immediate combat, which is a small fraction of the story. smile.gif

Technical skills are a convenience; Combat skills are a necessity. That's the difference.
TheeGravedigger
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 21 2012, 10:25 AM) *
@JonathanC...

Which is WHY there are OPTIONAL RULES in the Book. To address your concerns. Use them.
There are many players like you, who feel that Logic should have a roll in Hacking. There are 2 optional rules that address that issue directly.

1. Skill + Attribute, Hits Capped by Program Rating.
2. Skill + program, Hits capped by Logic.

Where in the book(s) would I find these optional rules? I've looked, didn't see them. Page Reference Requested, Please.
Nath
QUOTE (TheeGravedigger @ Mar 21 2012, 07:45 PM) *
Where in the book(s) would I find these optional rules? I've looked, didn't see them. Page Reference Requested, Please.
Unwired, page 39
Shadowrun 20th Anniversary, page 226
Thanee
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 21 2012, 05:37 PM) *
Does punching programs in the face sound like Logic to you? wink.gif

Actually, it is not so far-fetched...

Logic is the mental equivalent to Agility. And Agility is used for punching people in the face in the physical world. smile.gif

Intuition is more reactive than proactive (i.e. Intuition vs. Logic is like Reaction vs. Agility).

Bye
Thanee
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Mar 21 2012, 12:15 PM) *
The interval for each software test to create a hacking program is 1 month; the threshold is ratingX2. So that's...what? A couple of months of coding per program? And that's assuming that you don't have anything better to do for those two months...something like, I don't know...Shadowrunning?

Programming Environment reduces that by half, Rushing the Job reduces that by half, and an Edge expenditure can also reduce that by half. So 1/4 to 1/8th the time to program. That Month Interval becomes 1 week to as little as 3.5 Days; not really all that long, now is it? And if you are patching, that one week interval (40 Hours) becomes 10 Hours (or 5 Hours) respectively.

And again, the base book has no rules for normal wear and tear on weapons and armor.

Are you telling me that your games do not have armor damaged and possibly needing repair (there is a rule for that btw, optional but there)?
Are you telling me your weapons never get damaged (Various spells and other effects inflict damage to gear)?
Gear NEVER gets damaged?

Wow... your characters must lead charmed lives.

True, but there's nothing stopping you from just looking up "mechanics" in the local directory if you need a tire changed.

Sometimes you just can't do that, though. And if you are unable to repair it yourself, in those circumstances, well, you are out a fair amount of resources then.

Arcana is nice to have, but not a necessity. First Aid/Medicine are nice, but with a couple of skill points and a high-rating Medkit, you'll have all the dice you need without investing in Logic. I've never seen anyone make a Computer roll outside of the context of hacking. Searching is Data Search + Browse, and anything else (turning on a computer, writing an email, etc.) is so simple that making someone roll for it is silly.

Arcana is necessary if you don't want to pay insane prices for Foci. Also cuts down on the spell purhcases if you can design it yourself.
While you can rely upon JUST your medkit for the bonuses for healing/first aid, that is a poor way to go about it, in my opinion.
I have seen a LOT of Computer Rolls in game. If you have infiltrated a facility as a technician with a valid account on the node, you are NOT using Hacking to perform computer tasks. You are using Computer instead.

I have issues with players submitting/playing functionally incompetant characters (Stat 1 Attributes) because it is mechanically okay to do so. That does not fly with me.

Technical skills are a convenience; Combat skills are a necessity. That's the difference.

I see no difference. Yes, Combat Skills/Attributes are where you will likely put your points, IF combat is a main priority, and you don't actually care about what makes a Shadowrunner a Shadorunner. In my experience, however, Technical and Social skills/attributes play much more of a part in the unfolding life of a Shadowrunner than do the combat aspects. They are the things that allow you to do your job in the first place. The combat aspects are only there to insure you survive the fallout when your technical/social aspects are not good enough. smile.gif
Yerameyahu
Yes, 'morally wrong', TJ. smile.gif Just teasing.

Yes, a lockpicker would be *better* at it, but you only need to be good enough.
Oh, suddenly your point is about 'good enough', not 'being the best'? In that case, you have to admit that money can make you 'good enough' at almost anything. biggrin.gif And if you're satisfied with skill 4 (wires), then you're certainly not talking about truly expert hackers.

Agreed: combat skills are only more important than technical skills because you and your group chose to make them so.
Warlordtheft
Best solution:

GM: Let me see your character sheet.
Min-Max Player: Okay...
GM:Cyber-combat 7, logic 1. WTF?
Min-Max:It is in the rules.
GM:Um explain to me how a world class hacker has no logic?
Min-Max:Umm, its in the rules?
GM:Hell no. Drop it to 4 and give yourself a logic of 3.
Min-Max:Butt but...

GM FIAT for the win!

grinbig.gif
TheeGravedigger
Thanks. Looks like it's a pretty simple rule. I'm not sure which I prefer better. The 2x program dice cap seems nice, but I could see problems at the high end. It likely depends which boosts come before the cap and which come after the cap.
thorya
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 21 2012, 12:25 PM) *
Our table is currently experimenting with another variation...

Skill + Attribute, program acts as Reach (The difference is a malus/bonus to the DP)... No Hit Caps at all. Has the benefit of helping Technomancers out as well, assuming they thread to high CF Ratings.

These all make Logic MUCH more important in the system...

As for Technomancers, we enforce the LOGIC Attribute for the actual HACKING portion (Or Appropriate Attribute for the various Matrix Action Skills), and the Stream Stat (Intuition, Charisma, etc) as the Fading Attribute. Does this have ramifications on the Technomancer... Of course it Does, but it seems to work out pretty well right now. It does not hurt that, in my opinion, the only thing that should be different from the Technomancer and the Hacker is the reliance upon Hardware/Software, Sprites, and Echoes. A Technomancer with No Echoes, and No Sprites SHOULD NOT BE so much better at Hacking than a hacker is (HIs CF's MAY be better or may not be). His biggest benefit is he DOES NOT NEED HARDWARE/SOFTWARE. smile.gif

That's almost exactly what we do. Our programs run from Trial Versions (-3 to DP) to Next Gen/Military (+3 to DP). 7 different ratings. The Trial Version is a Rating 0.
Logic is much more important, but even an idiot that has some idea what they're doing can do well with the best hacker program available, especially against your everyday commlink.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (thorya @ Mar 21 2012, 02:30 PM) *
That's almost exactly what we do. Our programs run from Trial Versions (-3 to DP) to Next Gen/Military (+3 to DP). 7 different ratings. The Trial Version is a Rating 0.
Logic is much more important, but even an idiot that has some idea what they're doing can do well with the best hacker program available, especially against your everyday commlink.

We generally compare Program vs. Progra,. If you have a Rating 5 Program, and you are going up against a Rating 8 MilSpec Installation, then you are at a -3 DP. It is a direct comparison vs. the relevant software involved in the test.

And yes, Logic is Highly important in this regard, thoguh software may be able to help you if you are running top of the line programs against Midrange targets. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012