Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Returns 2nd City?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Emrak
As I'm sure everyone knows, the backers of SRR get to vote on a 2nd city once the pledge drive stops. Here's a little unofficial poll to gauge people's interests! smile.gif Any city (or cities) you think would be awesome gets an endorsement. Before long, the best will bubble to the surface.

List + Votes so far!

Note: clicking the below city names will take you to the wiki for more info. Yeah, I'm cool like that. If it's not clickable, then no one has put info in the wiki about that city. :-/

TIER 1 CITIES
Hong Kong (19 endorsements)
Berlin (18 endorsements)
Denver (18 endorsements)
Chicago (12 endorsements)
London (11 endorsements)
Neo-Tokyo (8 endorsements)

TIER 2 CITIES
Portland (Tir Tairngire capital) (4 endorsements)
Los Angeles (4 endorsements)
Australia/Outback (3 endorsements)
Lagos (3 endorsements)
Yomi Island (3 endorsements)
Las Vegas (2 endorsements)
SOX (2 endorsements)
Tenochtitlan (2 endorsements)
San Francisco (2 endorsements)
New Orleans (2 endorsements)
Montreal (2 endorsements)

TIER 3 CITIES
Philadelphia (1 endorsement)
New York (1 endorsement)
Vancouver (1 endorsement)
Hamburg (1 endorsement)
Rhine-Ruhr-Megaplex (1 endorsement)
St. Petersburg (1 endorsement)
Taipei (1 endorsement)
Dubai (1 endorsement)
Caribbean (1 endorsement)
Marseilles (1 endorsement)
Vladivostok (1 endorsement)
Paris (1 endorsement)
Boston (1 endorsement)
Cairo (1 endorsement)
Moscow (1 endorsement)
Belfast (1 endorsement)
Somewhere in Tír na nÓg (1 endorsement)
Saskatoon (1 endorsement)
Toronto (1 endorsement)

What are your choices?

Again, this is an UNOFFICIAL poll.
almost normal
Only two real choices.

Philly
or
Vegas
Mirilion
Berlin

1) Shows some love to German shadowrun players
2) Berlin is awesome
HeckfyEx
St. Petersburg, failng that Berlin.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Berlin or Hong Kong..... smile.gif
Summerstorm
QUOTE (Mirilion @ Apr 18 2012, 07:16 PM) *
Berlin

1) Shows some love to German shadowrun players
2) Berlin is awesome

Eh, i am german... i hate having the setting in the ADL.

I am all for Hong-Kong. You know: Massive slum-towers of Kowloon and such; cramped and dangerous. And not that far away the glass towers of Wuxing.
Emrak
I'd prolly go with Berlin or Hong Kong! If I had to choose right now, Berlin.
SpellBinder
Hong Kong or L.A.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Emrak @ Apr 18 2012, 10:32 AM) *
I'd prolly go with Berlin or Hong Kong! If I had to choose right now, Berlin.

Me too. Berlin or Hong Kong.
Honorable Mention would be anything out of Feral Cities.
noonesshowmonkey
Hong Kong or New York.

Both are exactly what Shadowrun should be about: a kind of immigrant experience of trying to 'make it' by any means necessary and in spite of the crushing weight of society against you.

GIT SOME!

Failing that, London or Berlin.
Emrak
Trying to keep the first post updated until it cuts me off from editing. smile.gif
CanadianWolverine
Vancouver, SSC
Warlordtheft
I'm all for Berlin in 2050. Just like Camelot, it is a silly place.
Summerstorm
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Apr 18 2012, 07:41 PM) *
Me too. Berlin or Hong Kong.
Honorable Mention would be anything out of Feral Cities.

Hm.. Feral Cities you say? Could be interesting too... Lagos perhaps, You have the Ghoul-Nation there, Omnitech and S-K plundering the ressources, Pirates, Warlords in the area. Good area to make money and shoot people in face. (Also a pretty disgustingly bleak zone - good for the mood)

Ok, so i am saying: Hong Kong or Lagos.
Thanee
Hong Kong

Bye
Thanee
CanRay
Berlin, Hong Kong, or Vegas.
Stahlseele
In this Order:
Berlin
Rhine-Ruhr-Megaplex
Hamburg
SOX
Australian Outback
Chicago
Denver
Zizi
Hong Kong sounds good. I think one that would work equally well would be Taipei.

Of course, I think Dubai would be pretty interesting also.
Iduno
SOX sounds fun, but there are lots of apportunities for interesting things going on in Hong Kong.
Zizi
I found weblinks/wiki pages for the ones that you can't find:

Lagos:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos

Rhine-Ruhr-Megaplex:
http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/113723/rhein-ruhr-megaplex (English description of the source book)
http://www.shadowiki.de/Rhein-Ruhr-Megaplex (German Wiki description)

St. Petersburg:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Petersburg

Taipei:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taipei

Dubai:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai
Emrak
Thanks for these Zizi, unfortunately I was looking for info specifically relating to the Shadowrun versions of those cities and not the real-world variants. smile.gif
snowRaven
Hong Kong would be awesome!

...or Marseilles.
Zizi
QUOTE (Emrak @ Apr 18 2012, 03:57 PM) *
Thanks for these Zizi, unfortunately I was looking for info specifically relating to the Shadowrun versions of those cities and not the real-world variants. smile.gif

Oh, sorry about that, I totally did not notice.

However, I think you should throw the Rhine-Ruhr-Megaplex links on there, in that case. Even if it is German, most can probably just Google Translate the wiki.

EDIT:
Taipei seem to be briefly covered in Taiwan (http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Taiwan).

EDIT2:
Not to encourage infringement, but if you want to read up on feral cities, just searching it on Google seems to yield quite a few copies on downloading sites. Too bad this isn't something a public library would typically carry...

EDIT3:
Can we put the feral cities (i.e. Chicago, Lagos) together with the "any of the feral cities" option?
Kagetenshi
Denver.

Hong Kong has very little canon information (remember, the game is based on the SR1-3 world), Chicago at its most interesting would be an entirely different kind of game (which would be cool, but I doubt that's the kind of extra work they were looking to take on), and Berlin's presentation is… somewhat controversial. Denver is the obvious choice, with the ability to support the same traditional run-based game but with all the borders providing opportunity for a very distinctive feel.

~J
Mickle5125
I vote Roanapur!

failing that, LA
CanRay
Bangkock.
ravensmuse
No Neo-Tokyo? The heck?

Barring that, Chicago. Needs more bugs.
Emrak
QUOTE (Zizi @ Apr 18 2012, 05:32 PM) *
However, I think you should throw the Rhine-Ruhr-Megaplex links on there, in that case. Even if it is German, most can probably just Google Translate the wiki.

Done!

QUOTE (Zizi @ Apr 18 2012, 05:32 PM) *
Can we put the feral cities (i.e. Chicago, Lagos) together with the "any of the feral cities" option?

I would, but I think that could be a long list...lol

QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Apr 18 2012, 07:24 PM) *
No Neo-Tokyo? The heck?

I was as surprised as you were. hahaha
CanRay
Game takes place in 2050, so Bug City hasn't happened.

Yet. DLC anyone?
Bigity
Somewhere in Australia.
CanRay
QUOTE (Bigity @ Apr 18 2012, 10:40 PM) *
Somewhere in Australia.
Where women glow and men plunder?

EDIT: You know, it doesn't matter which city it is... We, the fans, built it by supporting our hobby!
mister__joshua
I'm gonna have to go for Chicago. Given the 2050's setting, as Canray said, it would start out as a normal city but just beneath the surface bad things would be happening and the main plotline would obviously be the whole UB/bug conspiracy. As someone who didn't get to play Shadowrun before 4th edition I find all the old adventure paths interesting.

My second choice would be Denver, cos of the politics and intrigue.
Shortstraw
Definately the GAFA (great australian fuck all)
Stahlseele
Tokyo is a BIG no no as a setting because you can't have any metahumans there . .
fexes
Tenochtitlan!
ravensmuse
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 18 2012, 11:37 PM) *
Game takes place in 2050, so Bug City hasn't happened.

Yet. DLC anyone?

Every time you mention DLC, a pixie loses its wings.

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 19 2012, 05:09 AM) *
Tokyo is a BIG no no as a setting because you can't have any metahumans there . .

I imagine it's about as easy to do meta's in N-Tokyo as it would be if we were doing 60s San Francisco. Just gotta be stealthy about it.
Tiralee
I wish it could be in the Carib, or Australia, or even - god - London or Berlin, but you know the second city is going to be Denver, simply because it's going to be a ton easier to install the various threads, plots and stories in that desert cold-war zone.

Or SanFran - you could have some WILD car-chases there....

-Tir.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (fexes @ Apr 19 2012, 12:26 PM) *
Tenochtitlan!

Oh right, i forgot about that one
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Apr 19 2012, 12:36 PM) *
I imagine it's about as easy to do meta's in N-Tokyo as it would be if we were doing 60s San Francisco. Just gotta be stealthy about it.

Frisco did not have Death/Concentration Camps, right?
Medicineman
We need something exotic for the second Setting
Tir Taingire (If it looks like Lothlôrien) or Berllin (including the Wall)
would be my Votes

Hough!
Medicineman
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Apr 19 2012, 06:36 AM) *
Every time you mention DLC, a pixie loses its wings.

And a troll gets a new pair! rotate.gif
Emrak
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Apr 19 2012, 08:51 AM) *
We need something exotic for the second Setting
Tir Taingire (If it looks like Lothlôrien) or Berllin (including the Wall)
would be my Votes

Put ya down for Portland (I'm assuming that's the city in Tir you mean) and Berlin!

I'm a little surprised we've got 3 Australia endorsements. Aussies in da house!
Nebulus
London Please!
Platinum
bug city Chicago or Chiba City
Nyost Akasuke
I'd have to go with Neo-Tokyo.
With Chicago coming in barring that.
Draco18s
I'm split between Denver and Philly.
Put me for Denver. Always wanted to go poke Mr. Whiteface.*

*Ghostwalker, duh.
Emrak
QUOTE (Platinum @ Apr 19 2012, 01:15 PM) *
bug city Chicago or Chiba City

I consider Chiba as a part of Neo-Tokyo, so that's what I put you down for. If you want it specifically split out, holler! smile.gif

I think this provides a lot of good feedback for the SRR development team. It gives them a broad indication of what the group mind finds most interesting!
Saint Sithney
Have to remember the 2050 evolving timeline. Whatever city is chosen should have a good shakeup that runners can take part in.

Denver does well for the setup of pre and post Ghostwalker. Lots of sides to choose from there.

Chicago should be the first expansion city for sure, but I don't see it as a main city. Pre-bugs it was just a major UCAS metro area.

Hong Kong would be good for a few side things, but I don't see it being a marquee setting location. The former USA is really flexible as a setting specifically because it has so many cultures and business represented in a smaller area. I'm not as familiar with other locations to really comment on their diversity of crime/culture, but I know for sure that Denver and Seattle are soaking in options.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 19 2012, 03:23 PM) *
I'm split between Denver and Philly.
Put me for Denver. Always wanted to go poke Mr. Whiteface.*

*Ghostwalker, duh.

He's still off roaming the metaplanes, and will be for about a decade.

~J
Draco18s
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 19 2012, 05:11 PM) *
He's still off roaming the metaplanes, and will be for about a decade.

~J

Curse you timelines!
*Shakes a fish*
Sengir
QUOTE (HeckfyEx @ Apr 18 2012, 06:20 PM) *
St. Petersburg, failng that Berlin.

Is there anything established about St. Petersburg in canon, or did it get the same treatment as basically everything between Germany and Japan?

My personal preferences would be Denver or Berlin.
Denver would offer T-bird smuggling and the earliest hints of Otaku, plus enough NAN to make up for their recent fading. What I like about the old Berlin setting is the idea of an Anarchist city where you still have the corps, malls for the wealthy and even public transportation...sure there is no law against fare dodging, but the conductor can collect fares at gunpoint or just throw you out of the moving train. I know, lots of weirdness and one-upping in DidS, but HBS do not seem to stick to canon to the letter (mages recharging their power at Ley lines...) and thus could simply ignore some of the weirdest stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012