Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 2050 is out!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
CanRay
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Jul 17 2012, 10:22 AM) *
So c'mon CanRay, nothing extra you can let slip about what we might see without getting you in trouble? biggrin.gif I see mention of CPUs on that decker page...
I played a lot of the Genesis Shadowrun Matrix runs to get into the proper feel for writing the chapter. I'll say that much.

It was just posted on the Shadowrun Facebook page that they're hoping for a release today. But that's just me moving info around, so I can't get in trouble with that.

I hope people will find the rules I used to be good. I worked very hard on them. I started writing the day AFTER I got home with my broken arm!
Stahlseele
So they'll be cranky and a little woozy from painkillers?
Sounds like SR2050 Rules to me *nods*
Sengir
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Jul 13 2012, 06:43 AM) *
Great retro cover and the return of Sally & crew nice touch.

Everything get better with moar shoulder pads
CanRay
You can find it on Drive Thru RPG here.
Speed Wraith
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 17 2012, 12:07 PM) *
I played a lot of the Genesis Shadowrun Matrix runs to get into the proper feel for writing the chapter. I'll say that much.

So we'll be shooting lightning bolts at metal doors or strange geometric shapes? SAWEET! nyahnyah.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Jul 17 2012, 10:15 AM) *
So we'll be shooting lightning bolts at metal doors or strange geometric shapes? SAWEET! nyahnyah.gif

I would be totally fine with this.
CanRay
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Jul 17 2012, 01:15 PM) *
You'll find a reference to the Genesis Game's Matrix bit in the Matrix chapter, along with something from one of the first novels for Shadowrun dealing with the Matrix and Corporations.

Let's see who can find them!
Speed Wraith
Okay, who has this yet and can tell me if Program Carriers snuck back in? I do see a chapter in the preview's ToC for, "Jacking In Naked". Any details for that matter. I'll be making one of my buddies pick up the .pdf later while I'm holding out for hard copy.
CanRay
I included rules for Jacking In Naked, indeed. A few people were surprised that I wanted to include it, but Dodger doing it is an iconic scene.
almost normal
CanRay : Saririman.
CanRay
QUOTE (almost normal @ Jul 17 2012, 02:51 PM) *
CanRay : Saririman.
Well done. smile.gif
_Pax._
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jul 16 2012, 05:54 PM) *
Heh, i know at least one person that did that to some fan PDFs for SWD6. Me, i just go with a tablet wink.gif

I tried an eReader/Tablet - the NookColor; I thought it would be really wiz if I could simply put down a small tablet on the table at a convention, and have my whole collection of books ... rather than a milk-crate or two filled with ninety pounds of Dead Tree copies. Sadly, the screen is just too small for gaming PDFs to display properly - I wind up scrolling and panning around a LOT.

So now, I have a notebook with a 15.6" 16:9 screen (this HP ProBook 4530s, actually) on it's way to me via UPS, as we speak.

Meanwhile, I'm debating blowing half my remaining "pocket money" for the month, on buying SR2050. I'll get it inevitably .... but I don't NEED it right now, so .... I'm just not sure now is the right time.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 17 2012, 12:49 PM) *
I included rules for Jacking In Naked, indeed. A few people were surprised that I wanted to include it, but Dodger doing it is an iconic scene.

Any details while I wait to get my copy of the PDF?
Speed Wraith
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 17 2012, 04:01 PM) *
Any details while I wait to get my copy of the PDF?

Just from looking at the ToC preview there is about 30 pages of gear (yay), only a handful of pages for magic (likely all fluff), obvious matrix crunch if you couldn't tell from recent posts. Lots and lots of fluff regarding iconic personalities and the state of the world and notes on Seattle, Chicago, and Hong Kong.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Jul 17 2012, 01:07 PM) *
Just from looking at the ToC preview there is about 30 pages of gear (yay), only a handful of pages for magic (likely all fluff), obvious matrix crunch if you couldn't tell from recent posts. Lots and lots of fluff regarding iconic personalities and the state of the world and notes on Seattle, Chicago, and Hong Kong.

More curious about Nakedly Running the Matrix, personally. smile.gif
As he said, Dodger is Iconic in that regard.
SirFozzie
Findler-Man Lives! (yes, in the past, I know, but it was still a mega-kick to see his name)
Sengir
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 17 2012, 08:15 PM) *
More curious about Nakedly Running the Matrix, personally. smile.gif
As he said, Dodger is Iconic in that regard.

Well, it's two paragraphs, but quite comprehensive...WIL substitutes for most matrix attributes, utilities need to be programmed on the fly, a Program Carrier is obviously required.

My favourite part so far:
Staff: Popular with magicians, people who look like magicians, people who wish they were magicians, and people who like to hit other people in the face with sticks.

Oh, and Dikote is back
Aaron
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Jul 17 2012, 03:07 PM) *
[...] only a handful of pages for magic (likely all fluff) [...]

I'll take that bet.

Heh, heh, heh ...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 17 2012, 01:41 PM) *
Well, it's two paragraphs, but quite comprehensive...WIL substitutes for most matrix attributes, utilities need to be programmed on the fly, a Program Carrier is obviously required.

Awesome... Kind of how My Hacker does it now, though he doesn't program utilities on Fly... His Intuition acts as the Program Rating (Limit of Hits) for Intuitive Hacking Quality. So, No program needed for whatever Intuitive Hacking Action he has (he has 4 of them). He is an interesting character. Looking forward to reading the book.
Grinder
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jul 17 2012, 09:57 PM) *
I tried an eReader/Tablet - the NookColor; I thought it would be really wiz if I could simply put down a small tablet on the table at a convention, and have my whole collection of books ... rather than a milk-crate or two filled with ninety pounds of Dead Tree copies. Sadly, the screen is just too small for gaming PDFs to display properly - I wind up scrolling and panning around a LOT.

The Nook does have a 7" display, doesn't it? That's way too small for reading PDFs comfortably - check out iPad-sized displays of 9.7", they're pretty good for displaying PDFs.
Bobby
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Jul 10 2012, 04:07 PM) *
I'd doubt we'll see grounding make a return, continuity needs to be observed with the current edition, I would think.

Grounding is back, with a timeline for when it stops working and some fluff on theories about why it stopped.
Grinder
That's cool!
Bigity
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jul 17 2012, 02:57 PM) *

So now, I have a notebook with a 15.6" 16:9 screen (this HP ProBook 4530s, actually) on it's way to me via UPS, as we speak.

Meanwhile, I'm debating blowing half my remaining "pocket money" for the month, on buying SR2050. I'll get it inevitably .... but I don't NEED it right now, so .... I'm just not sure now is the right time.

My ProBook 4510s was a solid laptop. Just enough chops to do some stuff like Mass Effect 2/WoW, and plenty of power for work crap and PDFs. They are big laptops though, and can get heavy after a full day of lugging it around.
_Pax._
Well, the 4530s is ... 15 inches, by eleven inches, by just over one inch, and weighs only five pounds.

A milk-crate full of books, OTOH, is 15 inches by 15 inches by 15 inches, and weighs upwards of thirty pounds.

I can slip the former into my Timbuktu messenger bag's laptop pocket. The latter, not so much, hey? wobble.gif

QUOTE (Grinder @ Jul 17 2012, 04:23 PM) *
The Nook does have a 7" display, doesn't it? That's way too small for reading PDFs comfortably [...]

Yeah, 7". Fine for reading books, not so good for game PDFs (or magazines). Even turning it sideways, to make the text of a PDF readably-sized, you get maybe 1/3 of the page at a time, and still have to zoom in for some of the smaller print.

My 23" 1920x1080 computer monitor has spoiled me, ha. That, and I'm over 40, so the ol' Mod 1 Mark 1 peepers ain't what they used to be ...

[...] check out iPad-sized displays of 9.7", they're pretty good for displaying PDFs.

I looked at tablets ... and they were all out of my price range, if they had screens large enough to be a useful improvement. Also, as it so happens, I need something that runs Windows ... so I can put HeroLab on it. smile.gif
hobgoblin
Well i'm a glasses user (been wearing one pair or other since kindergarten), and i find game PDFs perfectly readable on a 10.1" tablet at 16:10 format (so effective screen size for full screen PDFs around 8"). a 4:3 display like you find on the iPad or some more recent Android tablets should make for more effective screen use. Or you can go nuts and get the 13" Toshiba Exite: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/04/tos...cream-sandwich/
_Pax._
That Excite? Nearly three hundred dollars more expensive than my ProBook. And for that money? I'd lose 3GB of RAM, 436GB of HDD, and the OS I need in order to run HeroLab. Oh, and I'd lose 2.6" of screen space.

See, that's the problem: Tablets, for what they can do, are much more expensive than laptops, notebooks, and netbooks. Sufficiently so, that they're out of my price reach entirely.
Speed Wraith
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Jul 17 2012, 01:15 PM) *

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 17 2012, 02:39 PM) *
You'll find a reference to the Genesis Game's Matrix bit in the Matrix chapter, along with something from one of the first novels for Shadowrun dealing with the Matrix and Corporations.

Let's see who can find them!

From what I saw at my friend's house, he wasn't kidding about the Genesis references. Complex, air-lock like doors, eh? biggrin.gif
Pepsi Jedi
Anyone know when it'll be out in Hardcopy? I'd love a copy of this, but would rather the Hardcopy on this one, for collection reasons.

I'll probably end up getting both, but I'd like hardcopy first. PDF down the line when I have spare cash.
SirFozzie
Ooh, call back to"In The Shadows" where the first real story of bug spirits (Mantids, if you remember)
Patrick Goodman
Pepsi: Shooting for a GenCon release for the hardcopy. The book's at the printer's now.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Jul 18 2012, 12:28 AM) *
Pepsi: Shooting for a GenCon release for the hardcopy. The book's at the printer's now.

Thank you sir, for the swift and informative response. smile.gif
DuckEggBlue Omega
Never made the switch to 4th, but will be picking it up as soon as I can get a hardcopy of 2050.
Sengir
Very pleased with the book so far, especially the artwork. Just two things I noticed:

- Cranial decks are referenced several times throughout the book, but no C˛ decks are actually available frown.gif

- A rigger can now get 6 IP with a R. 3 VCR:
The vehicle control rig gives you a +2 dice pool modifier to all Vehicle Actions and increases Reaction and number of Initiative Passes equal to its rating as long as you’re jacked into a vehicle. When you’re jacked in, you’re rigging with hot-sim VR (p. 245, SR4A).

Sure, for 5 Essence, but still WTF
Stahlseele
*shrugs*
the 4 IP limit was weakened for hacker and techno already . .

Also: Level1 to Level3 Datajacks are back
hobgoblin
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jul 18 2012, 03:02 AM) *
That Excite? Nearly three hundred dollars more expensive than my ProBook. And for that money? I'd lose 3GB of RAM, 436GB of HDD, and the OS I need in order to run HeroLab. Oh, and I'd lose 2.6" of screen space.

See, that's the problem: Tablets, for what they can do, are much more expensive than laptops, notebooks, and netbooks. Sufficiently so, that they're out of my price reach entirely.

Heh, sounds like you would be in the market for a MS Surface Pro tablet once they launch. Windows 8 tablet on X86.

Thing is, even with the limitations of a tablet i like them for this kind of use. This because they behave much more like a book in that i can fit a full page of PDF in screen. This is especially useful when dealing with gaming and reference texts that are usually multi-column, leading to reverse-N like reading and scrolling on a landscape screen.
KarmaInferno
I'm waiting for this, personally.

Full laptop functionality, actual discrete graphics card, the ability to detach the screen to use as a 11" tablet, and all my current desktop software will run on it.

I tried a 10" Android tablet for a while, and it worked okay, but ultimately I kept getting frustrated by what it COULDN'T do and returned it.

-k
Stahlseele
I'd like it if they made convertable laptops better.
Better hardware, better screen and smaller/lighter.
Best of both worlds.
CanRay
OK, on pins and needles wondering what you folks thought!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 18 2012, 01:49 PM) *
OK, on pins and needles wondering what you folks thought!

About What?
Stahlseele
SR2050.
He basically wrote the book. At least partially.
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 18 2012, 03:56 PM) *
SR2050.
The Matrix Chapter to be exact.
Speed Wraith
Well...and mind you, I only had the briefest of interactions with the book myself, but my buddy who picked it up last night texted me earlier to tell me that he couldn't find the price for software or deck upgrades...but he could just be really dumb and not looking in the right spot.

I wasn't looking for those details, and again, I didn't get a lot of time with the book, but my heart soared at seeing the color-coding system again and program carriers biggrin.gif I'm really glad you went back to the beginning and that you were able to re-work the 'trix rules with the new system. Since our group is planning on yanking out those 20-something year old modules for the guys who didn't play them and since we can hardly remember the details, it is nice to know that we won't have much work to do to convert the old system maps over. Thanks for that!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 18 2012, 01:56 PM) *
SR2050.

Ahhh... we are talking about the book again. I see... smile.gif
Still do not have it, sadly. frown.gif
Aaron
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 18 2012, 07:38 AM) *
- A rigger can now get 6 IP with a R. 3 VCR:

I'm not sure that's how I would have interpreted it, but if your GM lets you get away with it, have fun!
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Jul 18 2012, 11:10 PM) *
Well...and mind you, I only had the briefest of interactions with the book myself, but my buddy who picked it up last night texted me earlier to tell me that he couldn't find the price for software or deck upgrades...but he could just be really dumb and not looking in the right spot.

I wasn't looking for those details, and again, I didn't get a lot of time with the book, but my heart soared at seeing the color-coding system again and program carriers biggrin.gif I'm really glad you went back to the beginning and that you were able to re-work the 'trix rules with the new system. Since our group is planning on yanking out those 20-something year old modules for the guys who didn't play them and since we can hardly remember the details, it is nice to know that we won't have much work to do to convert the old system maps over. Thanks for that!

Hell, maybe they can be ported forward. Use them as either a old decker coming out of retirement, or a old system that has been offline for ages but still holds something the Johnson wants.
CanRay
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Jul 18 2012, 04:10 PM) *
...but my buddy who picked it up last night texted me earlier to tell me that he couldn't find the price for software or deck upgrades...but he could just be really dumb and not looking in the right spot.
You know, I could swear I included prices for upgrades... Damnit, it must have been saved to a secondary drive (I keep three back-ups) and never got to my primary file. frown.gif

Looks like I got some Errata to find or write. :'(
Stahlseele
"The job of an Author is never done"
Critias
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 18 2012, 05:51 PM) *
Looks like I got some Errata to find or write. :'(

Now you're in the club. wink.gif
All4BigGuns
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 18 2012, 08:54 PM) *
Now you're in the club. wink.gif

I feel bad about pointing it out to him. frown.gif

I mean, he's done pretty good other than that one little teeny tiny thing.
Sengir
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jul 18 2012, 09:43 PM) *
I'm not sure that's how I would have interpreted it

I don't see much leeway for interpretation in "+1 IP per Rating" wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012