Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [ooc] Thist Land is Our Land
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Scarecrow
Background: I'm not new to SR, but SR4 is tweaky in my eyes. I played 2/3E, and am finally coming back to a well-written, fantastic game. So, SR4 is a little new to me, but the rules aren't that difficult to manage or learn.

I've always found that I learn best by doing, especially when it comes to role-playing games. The way I learn the rules best is to GM and have to make decisions on the fly. It worked for every other game system I know, so I figure it should work here.

With that said, I am going to start running a Shadowrun campaign via PBP. I am a veteran PBP GM and player, and I'm quite familiar with the ins and outs of running a game. However, this will be my first time running SR4, so I'm asking that anybody who plays to please take it easy on me because I'm bound to mess up the rules a bit. biggrin.gif

The campaign details are at Obsidian Portal, which you can get to by clicking on this link right here. You will see character creation rules, NPCs, and various other things related to the campaign. I want to keep these forums here at Dumpshock as clean as possible, so the only 2 threads you will see for this game here are this one (Recruitment/OOC) and the IC thread.

If you are interested, please indicate so here in this thread. When you are ready, create an account at OP and let me know that you have done so. Then I can invite you to the game there, and you can post your character there. I would like to start with 4 players, but I'll run with less than that.

If there are any questions, please let me know. Otherwise, I hope to see some interest in running all over what used to be the US.
taeksosin
Hey Scarecrow, I'm more than mildly interested in getting involved with this. Is nice to be on the other side of the screen. Unsure of what sort of character I want to mess around with quite yet. Dithering between a slightly augmented, BTL addict Face or the standard gunbun/insert other specialty here. I've made an account on Obsidian, username is RonHolcomb.
Scarecrow
QUOTE (taeksosin @ Jul 18 2012, 09:01 AM) *
Hey Scarecrow, I'm more than mildly interested in getting involved with this. Is nice to be on the other side of the screen. Unsure of what sort of character I want to mess around with quite yet. Dithering between a slightly augmented, BTL addict Face or the standard gunbun/insert other specialty here. I've made an account on Obsidian, username is RonHolcomb.

Thanks for the interest. Invite on OP sent.
johnnytenpins
Hi Scarecrow,

I have a few character ideas running around in my head and would be interested in joining your game. I have played SR4 regularly for the last 3 or so years, and have dabbled a little bit in PbP (mostly to the disappointment of games ending due to inactivity). I just set up an OP account, screenname of Johnnytenpins.

My first initial question is what are you looking for as "regular" post rate- weekly, daily, 2x/week, etc?
Scarecrow
QUOTE (johnnytenpins @ Jul 18 2012, 03:48 PM) *
Hi Scarecrow,

I have a few character ideas running around in my head and would be interested in joining your game. I have played SR4 regularly for the last 3 or so years, and have dabbled a little bit in PbP (mostly to the disappointment of games ending due to inactivity). I just set up an OP account, screenname of Johnnytenpins.

My first initial question is what are you looking for as "regular" post rate- weekly, daily, 2x/week, etc?

First of all - thank you for the interest. I now have three players interested, so as soon as you guys get characters up and approved, we can get started.

My expectation is to have players post no less than once per week. I will post as often as necessary to keep the game going. We can get into details of what happens when players don't meet that post rate later.

I have sent you an invite on OP, so go ahead and accept it to be added to the campaign. When you get a character done, add him to the characters tab and let me know so I can review and approve.

Again, as soon as I get at least two characters we can get started.
taeksosin
So, what sort of characters are people thinking of throwing around? I'm still debating (and building) between an adept face w/BTL issues and child support, a Christian Theurgist mage who's mainly a support/utility type, or a gunbun/some skillset not covered.
johnnytenpins
I've got a sneaky adept ninja with a hero complex rolling up now, but I also have an orc rigger in my head if you want to avoid having dual adepts on the same team.
Thanee
Hi there! smile.gif

I would be interested in joining as well. Already have an OP account, only need to remember my login data. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Scarecrow
With thanee, we would have four. And that is optimal. I have not seen any characters yet so there is still time. If anyone else is interested I can put you on a wait list.
Thanee
Do you know what kind of characters there are now?

I see mage and adept here, so I will likely make something mundane to keep things balanced. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Scarecrow
We've got mage, adept, and a street sam so far. Or, that's what's been talked about, anyhow. We currently, actually have...nothing. biggrin.gif
Thanee
Ok, my account name on OP is also Thanee.

Bye
Thanee
Scarecrow
Invite sent.
Thanee
Added a WIP character sheet (no actual data yet, but background info and such smile.gif).

Bye
Thanee
Scarecrow
Speech, thought, commlink, and matrix text formatting for this campaign.

"Speech" (always good to color that to make it stand out)
Thoughts
<< @<TO> [<FROM>] Commlink Communications >>
<< Matrix Actions >>

Example of dice roll formatting.

11d6.hits(5) = 4
Thanee
Can I propose different colors, that are less straining on the eyes (and used quite a bit around here)? smile.gif

Thoughts
<< Matrix Actions >>

Bye
Thanee
Scarecrow
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jul 19 2012, 08:23 AM) *
Can I propose different colors, that are less straining on the eyes (and used quite a bit around here). smile.gif

Thoughts
<< Matrix Actions >>

Bye
Thanee

Yep. And changed. Thanks!
ChromeZephyr
Damn, I always end up coming in a little too late for these...Well, put me on the wait list, I'd like to play if something happens to any of your already-committed players.
Scarecrow
Tell ya what - I'll allow a fifth this time to see how it goes. I normally prefer 4 players, but nobody has submitted a finalized character yet, so I'll let one more slip in. Sign up on OP and let me know what your handle there is so I can invite you.
Chance359
I'm also interested if there's still room. I've got a hacker/face build who's in deep to the Vory.
Thanee
About the Availability 12 "limit" (which is actually the regular rule)... can the Restricted Gear Quality from Runner's Companion be used (it allows one item of up to AV 20)?

If it makes sense for the character, of course. smile.gif

Specifically looking at the Move-by-Wire System 2 from Augmentation here (which isn't broken, but very good value-for-money, or rather -essence).

Bye
Thanee

P.S. a little addition for the invisible castle stuff... you can use Edge (when you use it in the way that allows you to roll addition dice for every 6 you get) in the dice rolls with 12d6.hits(5).open(6) or 12d6.hitsopen(5,6).
ChromeZephyr
Same handle on OP, waiting on invite. It's been quite a while since I've played, period, so a sam would be my preferred choice in role but I'll take anything, so long as people don't mind me asking silly questions in OOC chat. smile.gif
Scarecrow
@Chance - sorry, but we've got 5 people now, and that's more than enough runners for the time being. I can put you on the waiting list and, should someone get geeked or drop out, I can add you in at that time?

@ChromeZephyr - invite has been sent on OP.

@Thanee - First, thanks for the information on the invisible castle rolls. I was not aware that was an option, so thank you for letting us all know.

Second, I'll allow it. Move-By-Wire 1 has an availability of 12, so you could get that no worries. Rating 2 is an 18, so you'd have to take Restricted Gear one time to get the Rating 2. So long as you have the quality, you can take the gear.

And on that note, let me put this out there: Say you wanted to get Move-By-Wire 3, which has an availability of 25. You'd first have to take Restricted Gear to get Rating 2, and then take it again to get to Rating 3. Does that make sense?
Thanee
Don't think it's supposed to be stacked like that... but anyhow... 2 is fine... 3 costs a bit too much Essence.

Will be done by the weekend. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
ChromeZephyr
Accepted, will get to work on the character.
johnnytenpins
Got my Char up on OP, I think he pretty well finished, maybe needs a couple of tweaks and then whatever changes the GM wants me to make. I just wanted to get it up cause I'm pretty busy now through Sunday evening. First time using Chummergen, which was an awesome tool, makes my homebrew spreadsheet system look like childsplay. Only problem was finding a good way to upload the data, so i just printed as text file and copy/pasted. If anyone knows a better way to load it to OP, let me know so I can get it looking and formatted better.
taeksosin
I like printing it as HTML, then pasting it wherever I need it. This assumes OP (which I've never used) accepts HTML in their char sheet bits.

I've been working on backstory and history for my characters (still having a toss up between the adept face, a charisma mage/face, and a street sam/whatevs). I take it Johnny has his ninja, Thanee is going with...I'm gonna guess a rigger or a sammy? Does someone especially wanna play the face or mage? If so, I'm more than willing to take the other role.
johnnytenpins
I did do up a stealthy adept, but i think running 2 would work just fine, as i bet there would be significant differences. I have no face-like qualities at all, or really any actual awakened skills (didnt take astral perception or acessening) and i have no qualms about going with 2 (or more) awakened types.

I did try the print to HTML, but OP didnt like a lot of the code and i didnt feel like messing around in it too much tonight, so ended up doing straight text and then cleaning it it up a bit.
taeksosin
I guess what it boils down to if someone else wants to play the mage, I'll take care of facing with the face adept. Else, I'll splash face and mage both.
Scarecrow
QUOTE (johnnytenpins @ Jul 19 2012, 05:16 PM) *
I did do up a stealthy adept, but i think running 2 would work just fine, as i bet there would be significant differences. I have no face-like qualities at all, or really any actual awakened skills (didnt take astral perception or acessening) and i have no qualms about going with 2 (or more) awakened types.

I did try the print to HTML, but OP didnt like a lot of the code and i didnt feel like messing around in it too much tonight, so ended up doing straight text and then cleaning it it up a bit.

LOVE the character concept. Very nicely done.

My only concern is the amount of spending cash you had, which by my calculations was next to nothing. But it all works out and comes out fine, so your character is approved. And again, I love the concept.

Ok peeps - that's one. As soon as we get the rest, we can get rolling.
Thanee
I am making a combat hacker, i.e. a hacker with good combat skills as well. Description is up on OP just need to get the sheet finished.

Bye
Thanee
taeksosin
Moo's crunch is up on OP. History and description are forthcoming tomorrow after I answer Bull's 50 or so q's and then turn them into something resembling a description and background. And yes, I made a 3 CHA face. smile.gif
Thanee
My character sheet should be complete now.

Bye
Thanee
Scarecrow
Ok, so I've reviewed Scarlet and Moo. My comments on both follow.

Scarlet
Approved. I do have a question on something, though. You list Updates in the amount of 5,460 Y each month. To make sure I understand properly (because hackers can be quite complex to create), this means you are on the hook for 5400ish Y every month just in upkeep for your software, correct? Not to mention the 1500 Y you are on the hook for in interest for your being in debt, plus 2000 Y every month for your low lifestyle cost. This brings your total expenses (assuming I understand this correctly) to 8960 Y every month. Even after you get paid for Day Job (which I deal with below), your monthly expenses are 6460 Y. Are you sure you can handle paying that every month? I won't screw players over when it comes to creds, but that's a hefty share of cash you need to dole out.

As far as Day Job: I must advise you - and all players - to strongly think about the negative quality Day Job. I won't outright ban it, and I won't tell you not to take it. But I will state that your needing to go to work while you are on runs is not going to be easy to deal with. Not for me, but for you. There are going to be instances in the game where I'll be keeping track of what time of day it is, and you are going to want to go help out with the run, and I'm gonna say "Sorry, but you have to go to work at this time, so your character isn't going to be able to help". So while I'm not banning the quality, I am asking that you think about the impact this quality can and will have on your character's ability to fully participate in runs. But with that said, if you want to take the quality, I won't say no because you have been warned.

Moo
Metagenetic Improvement and Goring Horns are SURGE characteristics, but I do not see you as having listed Changeling as a Positive Quality. When I do the math, you are ok with having SURGE, but you should look at your character sheet and verify that it should be listed. If it should not be listed, you need to get rid of both the Horns and the Metagenetic Improvement qualities.

You are missing Smiley as a free contact, so you will need to add him to your character sheet.

Other than that, things look ok from my point of view. Just make the changes listed above, and I'll re-review.
taeksosin
Metagentic improvement and Goring Horns are granted from being a minotaur (RC pg. 72). So, I'm a lightly surged, somewhat of an aberration of a troll. Totally forgot about Smiley, will add him when I update the personal informations and such.
Thanee
QUOTE (Scarecrow @ Jul 20 2012, 05:21 PM) *
Scarlet
Approved. I do have a question on something, though. You list Updates in the amount of 5,460 Y each month. To make sure I understand properly (because hackers can be quite complex to create), this means you are on the hook for 5400ish Y every month just in upkeep for your software, correct? Not to mention the 1500 Y you are on the hook for in interest for your being in debt, plus 2000 Y every month for your low lifestyle cost. This brings your total expenses (assuming I understand this correctly) to 8960 Y every month. Even after you get paid for Day Job (which I deal with below), your monthly expenses are 6460 Y. Are you sure you can handle paying that every month? I won't screw players over when it comes to creds, but that's a hefty share of cash you need to dole out.

Yeah, though there are some things to consider.

Most importantly, the programs didn't cost much (pirated stuff only costs 1/10th of the regular price), so the upgrade costs are the balancing factor here.

Even if you do not pay for them, you can still use the programs, they simply degrade by one Rating point per month/2 months (depending on the type of program).

The bulk of that is from the Activesofts, which are horribly expensive. I do not absolutely need to upgrade those, if the Nuyen are short. So things should be fine.

Also, if time permits, those upgrade patches can also be programmed by oneself instead of being bought.

Lifestyle (up to Medium) doesn't really cost much, if you are a hacker, since you can "pay" for it with a time-investment (low lifestyle is really easy to "pay" for; called Spoofing Life from Unwired).

On the plus side, Scarlet is pretty much always motivated to make more money. biggrin.gif

As far as Day Job: I must advise you - and all players - to strongly think about the negative quality Day Job. I won't outright ban it, and I won't tell you not to take it. But I will state that your needing to go to work while you are on runs is not going to be easy to deal with. Not for me, but for you. There are going to be instances in the game where I'll be keeping track of what time of day it is, and you are going to want to go help out with the run, and I'm gonna say "Sorry, but you have to go to work at this time, so your character isn't going to be able to help". So while I'm not banning the quality, I am asking that you think about the impact this quality can and will have on your character's ability to fully participate in runs. But with that said, if you want to take the quality, I won't say no because you have been warned.

I was thinking, that a half-time freelance job should not interfere too much with running, since that is mostly taking place during the day, while runner activities usually take place in the evening or night (of course, that was the reason why I had a Sleep Regulator in there at first, but things were getting a little too pricey smile.gif). It would mostly take away downtime you could otherwise use for programming and such. And sometimes lack of sleep might become a problem (until I can afford that Sleep Regulator, that is).

But I can swap it for something else, if you prefer. It's not conceptually required or anything. smile.gif

Metagenetic Improvement and Goring Horns are SURGE characteristics, but I do not see you as having listed Changeling as a Positive Quality. When I do the math, you are ok with having SURGE, but you should look at your character sheet and verify that it should be listed. If it should not be listed, you need to get rid of both the Horns and the Metagenetic Improvement qualities.

Might be a minotaur (metavariant) thing... not completely up to speed with those myself.

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
I changed the Barkeeper/Fixer contact to a Cracker Underground Hacker Group (removed the Armorer skill to get the extra BP).

Makes sense to have some contacts in that direction. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Scarecrow
QUOTE (taeksosin @ Jul 20 2012, 08:20 AM) *
Metagentic improvement and Goring Horns are granted from being a minotaur (RC pg. 72). So, I'm a lightly surged, somewhat of an aberration of a troll. Totally forgot about Smiley, will add him when I update the personal informations and such.

I am going to have to read up on that. Thanks for keeping me honest.

As far as day job goes... I am not against anyone having it. U just want to point out that there may be impacts to having it.

Either way, both Moo and Scarlet are approved.
ChromeZephyr
Do you want a third practitioner in the group, Scarecrow? I've always been a little adverse to MagicRun myself, but we've only got two adepts so a spell-chucker might be a good idea. Either way, I'll be setting my character up tonight after work.
Thanee
In fact, an actual mage would probably be a good idea. smile.gif

Of course, there will be three awakened chars then, but adepts and mages are so vastly different, I really don't see a problem there.

Bye
Thanee
Scarecrow
It will be interesting to have an actual spell-thrower in the group, so go for it. The 2 adepts we have, although they are awakened, aren't really magical-like, so having another awakened individual is fine by me.

Once CZ gets his character done, that will be four of the five. And the fifth...well, I've been trying to contact him and get him to create an account here, but he's been unresponsive. If CZ gets his character done, we're gonna get started.
ChromeZephyr
Allright, a wiz it iz, then. wink.gif Looks like some combat mojo will be needed, so I'll aim in that direction.

edit: Thanee, which branch of service is Scarlet from? I'm thinking a little banter between different branches would be entertaining, as I'm thinking former military combat mage...
Thanee
As a hacker, some kind of intelligence/electronic warfare branch (sorry, but I do not know the military well enough myself to put the proper name to it smile.gif).

Probably something akin to this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Inte..._States_Army%29

If you mean between army/navy/airforce, then it would be army.

The first years would be more of a "desk job" plus the regular training, of course, while the later years would be in a combat unit, handling security systems and hacking on-site (kinda like what Hudson does in Aliens, opening electronically secured doors, disabling/taking over security systems and so on).

I will add some information to the background later to put some more detail into it.

Bye
Thanee
Scarecrow
Ok, I received characters from the remaining 2 players. My analysis:

LeighFox
I think I found out why Chummer isn't letting you drop your character into career mode. Take a look at your Cyberware and Bioware. By my calculations (and Chummer's), your remaining essence is 0, which is not allowed. You have it as 0.2 on your character sheet, but it truly is 0. You'll need to drop something to get it above 0. Other than that, the character looks good. Make the change to cyber-/bio-ware, and we're good to go.

ChromeZephyr
Nice job. Should be interesting having a mage in the party. Approved.

To all: Even though LeighFox needs to update his character's cyber/bio, I'm going to start the campaign. Leigh, you must fix your character before your first post, or you must let me know where my math is wrong so I can double-check it.

The campaign will start in the thread [IC]This Land is Our Land: On The Run (Mr. Johnson, I Presume?)
Thanee
Yay! smile.gif

BTW, there is really no need to keep the "(always good to color that to make it stand out)" comment listed there. biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
QUOTE (Scarecrow @ Jul 21 2012, 06:21 PM) *
LeighFox
I think I found out why Chummer isn't letting you drop your character into career mode. Take a look at your Cyberware and Bioware. By my calculations (and Chummer's), your remaining essence is 0, which is not allowed. You have it as 0.2 on your character sheet, but it truly is 0. You'll need to drop something to get it above 0. Other than that, the character looks good. Make the change to cyber-/bio-ware, and we're good to go.

Not sure how you have been getting along with the resources, but making some of the cyberware alphaware might solve this problem (Wired Reflexes, if you can afford it, are a good candidate; you can save a lot of Essence there).

Also, the Form-Fitting Full-Body Armor only accepts a total of 9 Rating points of modifications (see p. 44 Arsenal).

You can put 9 into the coat as well, though, so if you change the R2 and R4 to R3 each, you could have one R6 and one R3 in each of the two armor pieces.

On second thought, you should probably downgrade to a Form-Fitting Half-Body Suit (and just 6 Rating points of modifications) and also leave the Gel Packs, since otherwise you will get penalties to your Agility and Reaction for wearing the FFBA together with the Lined Coat (see p. 161 SR4A).

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
Data Search about the Infinity.

Data Search (4) + Browse (6) + Optimization (Browse) (1) + PuSHeD (1) + hot VR (2) -> 5 hits

Bye
Thanee
Scarecrow
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jul 21 2012, 04:11 PM) *
Data Search about the Infinity.

Data Search (4) + Browse (6) + Optimization (Browse) (1) + PuSHeD (1) + hot VR (2) -> 5 hits

Bye
Thanee

Can you please edit this into your post in spoiler tags? I don't want to have to sift through the OOC thread for dice rolls, and putting this in your post in spoiler tags will make it easier on me.

Thanks!
Thanee
Ok, sure.

Bye
Thanee
LeighFox
Thank the Doctor my account has finally been approved! Woo! Hi everyone ^_^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012