Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In need of Hand of God consequence ideas
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
CanRay
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Jul 30 2012, 02:59 PM) *
But the point of Paranoia is to go through your clones faster and more creative than everyone else frown.gif
Unless you're the GM, in which case it's bringing the clones back in the most interesting way possible.

So far, everyone loves the Domin-O's Delivery Guy.
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Jul 30 2012, 03:10 PM) *
Yeah, Paranoia isn't the greatest example for survivability.
Or a great example.

One of the players in my old group went through FOUR SESSIONS without dying. And, yes, he was in the briefings and debriefings as well.

AND a Communist!
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Jul 30 2012, 04:10 PM) *
Yeah, Paranoia isn't the greatest example for survivability.

Yeah, but it was a rebuttal of his assertion that Shadowrun was in some way, shape, or form "soft-handed" or "tame" with the lethality.

Because that's not true, not at all. Not in any way, shape, or form.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 30 2012, 09:22 PM) *
Yeah, but it was a rebuttal of his assertion that Shadowrun was in some way, shape, or form "soft-handed" or "tame" with the lethality.

Because that's not true, not at all. Not in any way, shape, or form.

SR can be deadly, but how deadly is really up to the dynamics of the group. Its flexible to be as forgiving as D&D4.0 or as leathal as a game of Paranoia without clones.
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Aug 1 2012, 02:15 AM) *
SR can be deadly, but how deadly is really up to the dynamics of the group. Its flexible to be as forgiving as D&D4.0 or as leathal as a game of Paranoia without clones.

Yeah, I like it deadly but the rest of my group hates dying for some reason frown.gif.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Aug 1 2012, 03:55 AM) *
Yeah, I like it deadly but the rest of my group hates dying for some reason frown.gif.

I like it deadly too, but more than that I like it to be scarring - serious injuries, negative qualities, Faustian pacts, diseases, enemies ... the shadows should be lethal, but the true grittiness lies in what else they can do to you.
Midas
QUOTE (Ictoagn @ Jul 29 2012, 04:05 AM) *
Thanks for the suggestions for those who gave them. I decided to go with the mentor spirit idea, balanced out by a debt the spirit, to be paid in the form of a favor.

I certainly didn't mean to spark a debate about it, though. As for whether or not there should be consequences, my only previous experience with a similar mechanic is WFRP's fate point system. For those not familiar with the system, the genre equivalent to the quadriplegic street samurai would be perfectly acceptable for preventing death due to spinal injury, so my bias towards heavy punishment comes from there.

Also, on the subject of newness, I meant new to Shadowrun, not playing/GMing.

Ictoagn,

Welcome to Dumpshock. Please rest assured that most threads don't run to 9 pages or more, but as you can see there are a helluva lot of people with hugely differing opinions on the game here, and hot debate is often the tone. Please don't worry about sparking debate, that's what many posters live for!

I think by going with the mentor spirit idea you may have pulled your punches, but as people like ZeroPoint have emphasized your players are new to the game and the idea is for everyone to have fun. Personally I would probably have given the PC the Scorched 1 NQ, but YMMV.

In the SR4 campaign I GM, only once has a PC used HoG to escape death when an enemy mage hit the team with a fireball. The sammie took some damage from the spell, but what killed him was the EX-EX ammo in his primary and 2ndry weapons going off. HoG meant he survived, but as well as the burnt Edge, I gave the PC -1 CHA to represent the physical and psycological impact of the burn scarring. As a sammie this was not the end of the world for him, although RP-wise these days he won't get out of bed without putting on his nanopaste face (which continues to hit him in the wallet, we have abstracted it as an addition to his lifestyle costs, and of course being constantly in disguise is a hidden benefit of this nyuyen sink).

A lot of this thread has for some reason focussed on hitting a sammie with the Quadraplegic NQ for some reason. This is a bit of a strawman arguement, as it is a pretty extreme NQ to hit someone with, especially a sammie, and I agree wholeheartedly with the posters who say that IF the GM were thinking about something this drastic they should get the player on board before springing it on them. Unlike ShadowDragon et al, I do believe that as well as the point of Edge burned the GM can and should give the player some other penalty depending on how the near-death went down - whether it is a NQ, or the loss of a ATT point here and there, or something else like a cranial bomb (with the resulting loss of Essence) for a PC left for dead in a corp facility. I don't really like the idea of giving PQs as well (certainly not so much as to 'balance things out'), but could see giving a PQ like Guts in addition to a particularly nasty penalty.

Enjoy, and I look forward to hearing how your game goes from time to time. Don't hesitate to ask DS whenever you have any rules queries or whatever, among the BS I am sure you will get some good advice!

ZeroPoint
QUOTE (Midas @ Aug 1 2012, 04:25 AM) *
Ictoagn,

Welcome to Dumpshock. Please rest assured that most threads don't run to 9 pages or more, but as you can see there are a helluva lot of people with hugely differing opinions on the game here, and hot debate is often the tone. Please don't worry about sparking debate, that's what many posters live for!

I think by going with the mentor spirit idea you may have pulled your punches, but as people like ZeroPoint have emphasized your players are new to the game and the idea is for everyone to have fun. Personally I would probably have given the PC the Scorched 1 NQ, but YMMV.

In the SR4 campaign I GM, only once has a PC used HoG to escape death when an enemy mage hit the team with a fireball. The sammie took some damage from the spell, but what killed him was the EX-EX ammo in his primary and 2ndry weapons going off. HoG meant he survived, but as well as the burnt Edge, I gave the PC -1 CHA to represent the physical and psycological impact of the burn scarring. As a sammie this was not the end of the world for him, although RP-wise these days he won't get out of bed without putting on his nanopaste face (which continues to hit him in the wallet, we have abstracted it as an addition to his lifestyle costs, and of course being constantly in disguise is a hidden benefit of this nyuyen sink).

A lot of this thread has for some reason focussed on hitting a sammie with the Quadraplegic NQ for some reason. This is a bit of a strawman arguement, as it is a pretty extreme NQ to hit someone with, especially a sammie, and I agree wholeheartedly with the posters who say that IF the GM were thinking about something this drastic they should get the player on board before springing it on them. Unlike ShadowDragon et al, I do believe that as well as the point of Edge burned the GM can and should give the player some other penalty depending on how the near-death went down - whether it is a NQ, or the loss of a ATT point here and there, or something else like a cranial bomb (with the resulting loss of Essence) for a PC left for dead in a corp facility. I don't really like the idea of giving PQs as well (certainly not so much as to 'balance things out'), but could see giving a PQ like Guts in addition to a particularly nasty penalty.

Enjoy, and I look forward to hearing how your game goes from time to time. Don't hesitate to ask DS whenever you have any rules queries or whatever, among the BS I am sure you will get some good advice!

A pretty decent summary of the whole thread. And sound advice in general. My only emphasis would be that as a GM (and you probably know this already if you've GM'd other games before) what you can do to the PCs depends largely on your PCs. So in that respect, only you can make the final decision as to what your players will accept and what will make for a more enjoyable game, because your the only one that knows them well enough. And no matter what decision you make, if you tell the story well, your players will usually stand behind your decision.
Midas
Thanks ZeroPoint! Wise final words from yourself as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012