Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fun with weapon mods
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
ZeroPoint
After looking at the Combi glove thread I remembered all the ideas i had for dumb/fun weapons made within the mod rules, all heavily relying on the underbarrel weapon mod and decided I would share them.

I know there are other threads like this out there but a quick search didn't yield anything from the last year or two so rather than necrothreading i'll make a new one.

Remember, these are just for fun and many do bend the rules slightly here and there.

Defiance HardShock Gloves
Base weapon: Hardliner Gloves
Modded with: Underbarrel Defiance EX shocker (taser)(modded with melee hardening, Smartgun system, skinlink, and trigger removal)
Total Cost: 800 nuyen.gif

This set of gloves packs a wallop in more ways than one. The hardliner gloves allow you to deal out some heavy handed justice, while the Defiance EX shocker mounted along the top of the hand can allow you to deliver and 8S(e) shock, both in melee, as well as firing up to 2 smartgun assisted darts up to a range of 20 meters!

Stealth Knife

Base weapon: Cougar Fineblade
Modded with: Ceramic/plasteel components lvl3, Personalized grip, Gecko grip
Total Cost: 5250 for shortbade version, 7700 for longblade version

This knife is super sharp and can go through MAD detectors all day long. With a personalized grip it feels like an extension of your hand, and the gecko grip makes it so it might as well be if someone tries to disarm you of it. The gecko grip also means you can stick it just about anywhere on your body without the need for straps to get it in those fun places (and we all remember how Bruce Willis in Die Hard taped a gun to his back with no shirt on so the bad guy would think he was unarmed)

Tactical MGL-46 Micro-Grenade launcher
Base Weapon: MGL-12 Grenade launger
Mods: Additional Clip, Extended Clip, Underbarrel MGL-12 (additional clip, extended clip)
Accessories: Smartgun system (top mount), Airburst link, Shock pad, Sling
Total Cost: 9960

This bad boy gives you 4 different clips to choose from, each of which can be loaded with a different grenade type. With 2 clips with a 15 round capacity (which would be loaded with your most likely used grenades) and 2 with 8 round capacities (which could be loaded with the more situational grenades), you also have a total of 46 rounds to work with. With the smartgun system added, its a free action to switch between whichever clip/weapon you want, and reloading is made a snap with mental commands to eject spent clips, or loading a new payload. And the Airburst link helps make sure your payload is delivered exactly where you need it. The sling and shock pad help when lugging this beast around the battle field, and helps control it during firing.

I had some more ideas too, but thats all i have time for at the moment since I'm at work. I'll post some more later and feel free to add your own interesting creations if you like.
The Wrestling Troll
Flamethrower with underbarrel harpoon to fetch the enemy and burn him i to ashes while he can't escape (extra fun with monofilament cable instead of normal wire for the harpoon)

Harpoon launcher attached to a portable carbattery for streetgang fun
_Pax._
Onotari Xfactor III assault rifle
- Standard features: Additional Clip, Underbarrel Shotgun, Imaging Scope, Advanced Safety
- Modifications: Extended Clip (Drum 100), Sound Suppressor, Foregrip
- Additional accessories: Sling, External Smartgun
- Ammunition: 200 rounds Ex-Ex
>>FINAL PRICE: 6,165 nuyen.gif

"If you have to reload before the fight is done .... welcome to the zombie apocalypse!"

smile.gif
ZeroPoint
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jul 27 2012, 01:26 PM) *
Onotari Xfactor III assault rifle
- Standard features: Additional Clip, Underbarrel Shotgun, Imaging Scope, Advanced Safety
- Modifications: Extended Clip (Drum 100), Sound Suppressor, Foregrip
- Additional accessories: Sling, External Smartgun
- Ammunition: 200 rounds Ex-Ex
>>FINAL PRICE: 6,165 nuyen.gif

"If you have to reload before the fight is done .... welcome to the zombie apocalypse!"

smile.gif

The onotary xfactor...is that from the first gun heaven book?
Yerameyahu
A drum is not a clip. Extended Clip (Drum option) "replaces" the ability to use clips with the ability to use drums.
_Pax._
QUOTE (ZeroPoint @ Jul 27 2012, 12:55 PM) *
The onotary xfactor...is that from the first gun heaven book?

Yep. smile.gif Not the most impressive gun out there - but the first one I happened across in HeroLab that came with "Additional Clip" as a standard feature.

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 27 2012, 02:15 PM) *
A drum is not a clip. Extended Clip (Drum option) "replaces" the ability to use clips with the ability to use drums.

Not sure what your point is, here.
Yerameyahu
It's a stretch at best to have dual 100 drums, that's all. smile.gif Pretty obvious point.
_Pax._
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_C-Mag

Essentially, twin 50-round drums.

Also, I can see a feed mechanism that had one of those inserted from above, and another from below. (Or one to either side.)
Yerameyahu
I'm only talking about the rules, which rarely have anything to do with reality/sense. smile.gif I'm not saying 'you can't', just pointing out that it's a stretch.

In reality, the same gun can use 'clips' and drums interchangeably, so that's a disconnect already. However, that example is not at all the same as two separate 100 drums.

I'd have mentioned 'underbarrel' gloves, but I already did in the other thread. …However, I now see that he added the ability to *fire* the taser at range? We're now having firearms installed in our gloves? Hehehe. As OP said, rules are being bent a little.
ZeroPoint
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jul 27 2012, 02:28 PM) *
Not sure what your point is, here.

I think what he's trying to say is that drum isn't a clip so it doesn't qualify for additional clip mod. This was the reasoning I used, but its all up to the GM. I've bent the rules harder than that before...

Eichiro Hatamoto II Extreme
Base Weapon: Eichiro Hatamoto II
Mods: High-powered chambering, Personalized grip, Underbarrel weapon(Eichiro Hatamoto II: High powered Chambering)
Accessories: Internal smartlink, Folding Stock

At 9P, -2 AP, this gun is a true handcannon. The underbarrel mod effectively makes this gun into a double barrel gun, doubling its single shot capacity, as well as allowing to fire at SA rates (since technically you fire the one gun first, and then the underbarrel weapon second). The folding stock and personalized grip help with the excessive recoil of the weapon.

_Pax._
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 27 2012, 01:40 PM) *
I'm only talking about the rules, which rarely have anything to do with reality/sense. smile.gif I'm not saying 'you can't', just pointing out that it's a stretch.

I disagree. The rules do not, IMO, suggest any such incompatibility. As I said: one Beta C above, one below. Giving the appearance of four drums, and the effect of two.

QUOTE (ZeroPoint @ Jul 27 2012, 01:48 PM) *
At 9P, -2 AP, this gun is [...]

... hobbled by it's inability to use APDS or other non-standard rounds. Sorry. I can get 8P, AP -2 just by loading Ex-Ex. Or 7B AP-5, using APDS.

High Powered Chambering is ... well, RAW, it's busted. In a "bad choice to ever make" sort of way.
ZeroPoint
Defiance infiltrator
Base weapon: Defiance T-250 / Short barrel version
Mods: Powered folding stock (ruled this as replacing the built in stock so when folded down reduces concealabilty by one removes point of RC)
Barrel reduction (since it is a short barrel version which uses heavy pistol ranges, it doesn't actually already have barrel reduction mod so this can still apply)
easy breakdown
personalized grip
smartgun system
Sling
Ceramic/Plasteel components lvl3

Total Cost: 11,585

While being extremely expensive, you can get this gun just about anywhere. It easily breaks down into several component parts that are unrecognizable as any sort of weapon. And none of those parts are detectable by MAD scanners. On top of that, once you have it re-assembled, with stock retracted it has a concealabilty mod of 0. And all that cash will be worth it when you see the look on the face of a security guard when you put a SHOTGUN in his face AFTER going through a security checkpoint.
ZeroPoint
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jul 27 2012, 03:01 PM) *
... hobbled by it's inability to use APDS or other non-standard rounds. Sorry. I can get 8P, AP -2 just by loading Ex-Ex. Or 7B AP-5, using APDS.

High Powered Chambering is ... well, RAW, it's busted. In a "bad choice to ever make" sort of way.

This is something i'm aware of but it all comes out pretty close to the same in the end really.

-3 AP = +1 damage (for purpose of damage calculation only, i know it makes more of a difference against hardened armor)
so 7P -5 would be equal to 8P, -2 AP....which is the same performance as Ex-EX. And this is 9P, -2 AP. so the extra recoil penalty offsets that a little with one less hit on occasion so back to 8P, -2.

there are some differences but they all come pretty close in performance

This idea was just for big numbers syndrome
ZeroPoint
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 27 2012, 02:40 PM) *
I'd have mentioned 'underbarrel' gloves, but I already did in the other thread. …However, I now see that he added the ability to *fire* the taser at range? We're now having firearms installed in our gloves? Hehehe. As OP said, rules are being bent a little.

I don't see a problem with it since they mentioned "underbarrel guns on smart swords" in the book...not that much of a stretch if you think about it.

And the Defiance EX shocker already has the option to both use in melee and fire darts that trail wires up to 20 meters. It normally has 4 darts but is reduced by 50% due to underbarrel mod so I didn't ADD functionality by allowing it to shoot.

Really this is one of the my mildest creations since it doesn't really bring anything else more to the character other than allowing them to wear the tazer. A tazer with gecko grip and skinlink could do the same thing really. Activate it when its on the back of your hand and then at any time mentally command it to fire over the smartlink.
_Pax._
QUOTE (ZeroPoint @ Jul 27 2012, 03:02 PM) *
Defiance infiltrator

This one, I really like. I think, with it's small size and MAD-invisible components, that the breakdown feature is redundant ... but it's not a game-breaker, either. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jul 27 2012, 12:01 PM) *

I disagree... A Super Warhawk is 8P AP -3. Pretty damned impressive if You ask me. And it makes a Statement. smile.gif
ZeroPoint
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jul 27 2012, 02:54 PM) *
This one, I really like. I think, with it's small size and MAD-invisible components, that the breakdown feature is redundant ... but it's not a game-breaker, either. smile.gif

Well...my main thinking was that the Mad immune would get you past mad scanners(of course) but not cyberscanners. And the small size will get you past a pat down, but not a strip search. This will on all of the above.

Ammo on the other hand...
NiL_FisK_Urd
The breakdown feature is the only way to stop a cyerware scanner ^^
Udoshi
My hollywood hacker was a fan of non-lethal damage, usually in the form of electricity damage.

His original gloves were a pair of AR gloves, crossed with shock gloves, and out fitted with a hologram projector. They had a nice advantage of being able to illustrate things, and display AR and info to people not on the team's network.
This was actaully before I found the mod rules from augmentation, so it was gm-enabled mishmash of parts.

He later upgraded to Tesla gloves(attitude), and tinkered with them to have a melee hardening, a shock glove function, smartlink, a better built-in jammer, and the trademark holo projector.
Falconer
Two more good ones for the Defiance Hardshock.

Firing Selection Semi-auto... and personalized grip :).

Personalized grip +1 dice in melee (and 1 free point of RC). SA... fire both darts in a single pass with 2 simple actions.
ZeroPoint
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jul 27 2012, 03:47 PM) *
Two more good ones for the Defiance Hardshock.

Firing Selection Semi-auto... and personalized grip smile.gif.

Personalized grip +1 dice in melee (and 1 free point of RC). SA... fire both darts in a single pass with 2 simple actions.

Ah yes, and we could also toss on the gecko grip so it can do triple time as climbing gloves...

And I like the idea for the name change, I think i'll adopt that

also, new idea formulating....

Something like the Spetsnaz Ballistic knife....

Falconer
I just couldn't remember what the name was... so improvised when I was too lazy to look back up.

Can you get your hand stuck geckoed into a fist?

Yeah, but generally when dealing with a straight up defiance shocker... I like to get a built in laser sight, and personalized grip. (no nasty 'R' legalities to deal with). Gecko to make it harder to disarm or stick it to all kinds of odd locations is nice as well. Not as good as a smartgun, but don't need a permit either. Also the laser is better for intimidation purposes... people tend to notice that red dot on them.

Udoshi
I also had a samurai use an HK-227X. It comes with some really really nice built-in features, which makes them count as mods, not accessories.(thank you arsenal). It comes with a silencer, a folding stock, and a smartgun system.
The first change was to alter the built-in folding stock to be Powered.
Then an auto-adjusting weight, chameleon coating, and a sling.
Some accessories rounded it out. A gasvent 3 and Skinlink adapter, and a foregrip finished it off.

It wasn't a weapon that you used to sneak past security checkpoint and scanners, but once you were in a fight it, it was either fully compensated on FA Longbursts or silenced and compensated on Shortbursts. Also had the nice plus of not breaking your own chameleon suit.

Yerameyahu
I think it is a hell of a stretch from a sword to a glove, ZeroPoint, that's all. Wrist-mounted guns are not a normal thing in SR4 (for good reason). I'm not saying it's impossible, and I'm fully aware we're talking in a context of 'bendable' rules.
Falconer
You don't bother to read rules do you Udoshi.

Half those things don't stack with each other for recoil comp. (p148 Arsenal).

You only have 6 points RC no matter how you slice and dice it.

Most GM's won't let you slide with skinlink as an accessory (it's built into the device; not something you attach to it). Unwired and arsenal both made it a modification for any electrical device. So depends on the GM there.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jul 27 2012, 02:03 PM) *
I also had a samurai use an HK-227X. It comes with some really really nice built-in features, which makes them count as mods, not accessories.(thank you arsenal). It comes with a silencer, a folding stock, and a smartgun system.
The first change was to alter the built-in folding stock to be Powered.
Then an auto-adjusting weight, chameleon coating, and a sling.
Some accessories rounded it out. A gasvent 3 and Skinlink adapter, and a foregrip finished it off.

It wasn't a weapon that you used to sneak past security checkpoint and scanners, but once you were in a fight it, it was either fully compensated on FA Longbursts or silenced and compensated on Shortbursts. Also had the nice plus of not breaking your own chameleon suit.

You cannot Silence AND Gas-Vent Compensate a weapon simultaneously. They are mutually exclusive actions (even if they are on the same weapon). Says so right in the book. smile.gif

Edit: Never Mind. Short Burst, not Long Burst. My Mistake... smile.gif
Daier Mune
...Unless it's a Smartgun X, which somehow is able to use both systems at once.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Daier Mune @ Jul 27 2012, 02:52 PM) *

They actually cannot. Both Modifications can be on the same weapon, but cannot both work simultaneously.
Falconer
It's not fully compensated on short bursts TJ. He has 2 points of excess incompatible RC in there he can't use that I can see. Maybe more. He's fully compensated on a single short burst. The accessory foregrip only helps with full bursts, not long bursts. Not only that the gun may be overmodified (folding stock removal does not give 1point back to put in a new powered folding stock).

He needs 5 points RC to fully compensate 2 short bursts per pass. Exactly the same as if he fires a long burst.

Example: of a cheap gun I like... Under $1200 without smartlink. You can go either internal smartlink +500 or external +400 external you can strip off and reuse when you ditch the gun :). Melee hardening is an extra +300.
AK-97 (500) (sling +10, personalized grip +100, bayonet mount +20, foregrip +50)
Accessories: shock pad +50, gas-vent 3 +400, bayonet +40 (reach 2, +1P when on rifle, uses blades skill instead of clubs skill).

2points foregrip + sling, 1point shockpad/stock, 3 points gas-vent. 1point personalized grip (and +1 dice in melee!).

7points RC total. 8 RC with a heavy barrel for full auto... kinda silly.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jul 27 2012, 03:09 PM) *
It's not fully compensated on short bursts TJ. He has 2 points of excess incompatible RC in there he can't use that I can see. Maybe more. He's fully compensated on a single short burst. The accessory foregrip only helps with full bursts, not long bursts. Not only that the gun may be overmodified (folding stock removal does not give 1point back to put in a new powered folding stock).

He needs 5 points RC to fully compensate 2 short bursts per pass. Exactly the same as if he fires a long burst.

Example: of a cheap gun I like... Under $1200 without smartlink. You can go either internal smartlink +500 or external +400 external you can strip off and reuse when you ditch the gun smile.gif. Melee hardening is an extra +300.
AK-97 (500) (sling +10, personalized grip +100, bayonet mount +20, foregrip +50)
Accessories: shock pad +50, gas-vent 3 +400, bayonet +40 (reach 2, +1P when on rifle, uses blades skill instead of clubs skill).

2points foregrip + sling, 1point shockpad/stock, 3 points gas-vent. 1point personalized grip (and +1 dice in melee!).

7points RC total. 8 RC with a heavy barrel for full auto... kinda silly.

I was assuming a Single Short Burst (Not sure why, but there you go), but good catch. smile.gif
Udoshi
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jul 27 2012, 02:31 PM) *
You don't bother to read rules do you Udoshi.

Au contraire, good sir, you need to read up on the rules for closing gasvents.
Edit: There is a houserule in place here that lets ACCESSORY gasvents close like MODIFICATION gasvents.

Half the point of the additional RC is to short burst at no penalty when not in FA mode, while still silenced. When shit gets real, you can swap over to longbursts when stealth isn't important anymore. The turning point here is that the Auto-Adjusting Weight, while awesome, doesn't apply all the time. Namely, if you aren't in FA mode, you lose 2rc.
Edit: You're also forgetting that an auto-weight provides +1 rc for the second burst. Yes, really. Its 1 for the first, 2 for the second, which means you don't have to have an extra RC tucked away to deal with the 'first bullet no recoil' thing.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 27 2012, 03:00 PM) *
They actually cannot. Both Modifications can be on the same weapon, but cannot both work simultaneously.

Not quite. The incompatability clause is only for modifications....

QUOTE (Daier Mune @ Jul 27 2012, 02:52 PM) *

Which is why THIS thing exists. The smartgun was statted before arsenal rules came to be. And also why my table has an houserule that accessory gasvents can be closed like modification vents, because otherwise accessories are better in every way.

QUOTE (Falconer @ Jul 27 2012, 03:09 PM) *
The accessory foregrip only helps with full bursts, not long bursts.

You're forgetting that Slings and Foregrips combo for 2rc. I may also have been including one for strength 6.
Umidori
Slight aside, but one thing that's bugged me for a long time is the Revolver Silencer mod. It takes up a ton of slots, with the fluff reasoning that in order to properly silence a revolver you need to install special high tech gaskets.

You don't, actually. In fact, the precedent for supressable revolvers was set in 1895. The Nagant M1895 was a "gas-seal" revolver, in which cocking the hammer first rotated the cylinder, then pushed it forward, physically sealing the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. Originally intended to increase the muzzle velocity, the design had the side effect of making it possible to silence the weapon. You'd think nearly two centuries later, people would have reused and improved upon the design, no?

Just another casualty of the rules trying to follow "reality", but failing to match what is actually real. I certainly can't think of any other reason why it'd take 4 slots to silence a revolver, rather than the 1 slot to internally silence literally any other non-burst-capable firearm. It sure as heck isn't to balance them mechanically. After all, the available revolvers are almost universally inferior to comparable semi-automatics. They hold less ammo and take longer to reload, without gaining any other form of bonus to compensate. The sole exception is the Ruger Superwarhawk with its increased DV and AP.

~Umi

Addendum: Oh, and while I'm at it, SR really needs silent ammunition. Not just subsonic, silent. The Russians invented it as early as the 60s, with refinement in the 70s. The only sound a weapon loaded with it will produce is the sound of the hammer and other moving parts. The way it works is that the case is specially built with a sealed internal piston. The bullet rests on the piston, the propellant detonates and drives the piston forward, the piston is stopped by the sealing design of the casing, the bullet is carried forward off of the piston and down the barrel by inertia, and the gases from the detonated propellant remain trapped and contained inside the round casing. No muzzle flash, no report.
Daier Mune
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jul 27 2012, 05:29 PM) *
Addendum: Oh, and while I'm at it, SR really needs silent ammunition. Not just subsonic, silent. The Russians invented it as early as the 60s, with refinement in the 70s. The only sound a weapon loaded with it will produce is the sound of the hammer and other moving parts. The way it works is that the case is specially built with a sealed internal piston. The bullet rests on the piston, the propellant detonates and drives the piston forward, the piston is stopped by the sealing design of the casing, the bullet is carried forward off of the piston and down the barrel by inertia, and the gases from the detonated propellant remain trapped and contained inside the round casing. No muzzle flash, no report.

I thought that was what subsonic ammo was?
Falconer
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jul 27 2012, 05:29 PM) *
Not quite. The incompatability clause is only for modifications....

You're forgetting that Slings and Foregrips combo for 2rc. I may also have been including one for strength 6.

You're digging your own grave here Udoshi, you want to keep losing credibility by making outright wrong assesrtions?

You're making things up here. You're playing fast and loose with the rules. Lets see how many *ACCESSORY ONLY* items are called by name as not stacking. Your claim is bunk on it's face. Why name accessories as not being part of these restrictions, then explicitly list them as non-stacking. And I didn't forget about the sling + foregrip. I said I see 2 and maybe more non-stacking.

Lets see...
"Recoil compensation from an auto-adjusting weight, bipod, foregrip, *GYROMOUNT*, sling, *TRIPOD*, or underbarrel weight are not cumulative with each other". (yes except foregrip + sling is allowed for 2)
"Recoil compensation from a folding stock, *HIP PAD*, *RIGID STOCK*, *SHOCK PAD*, or sling are not cumulative with each other."
Gas vents aren't cumulative.

3 of those items are only available as accessories yet named explicitly. And the rules are not supposed to apply to accessories?! You really do have no idea how to read rules. (after the power bolt doesn't use a threshold in the other thread).

Your folding stock is incompatible with the sling.

The sling can combine with the accessory version of the foregrip for 1 or 2 on a FULL BURST (not long burst).

The auto-adjusting weight is incompatible with the sling & foregrip (is worth 1, then 2 on SA/BF. It's worth 2 on FA which includes both long and full bursts).

As has already been pointed out accessory gas vents are incompatible with suppressors. Built-in suppressors can be turned off or on to allow silencing (even for the smartgun X). I didn't call you on it because it's a common house rule to extend this also to accessory vents as well.

So by that measure...
We have 1 point of RC on SA/BF from the auto-adjusting weight, 2 on the second SA/BF or if you fire FA (which includes long and full bursts) (auto-adjusting doesn't stack with the sling or foregrip)

We have 1 point of RC from either the sling or the folding stock.

You have 2 points total of RC if you fire SA/BF and use the suppressor. No more. Your second burst will gain an additional 1 point of RC for 3... but recoil is cumulative across an action phase... so the second BF is at -5recoil +3 RC == -2 penalty uncompensated. If you fire a long burst, again you're at -2 penalty while suppressed.

If you turn on the vents. You have 5RC on the first shot... or 6RC total on two shots or firing FA. That still leaves -3 penalty on a full burst. You're well compensated but not completely compensated, and you have a lot of mods which provide no benefit.

So once again you're making things up and ignoring the RC stacking rules. There is no merit whatsoever to your assertion that accessories don't count, as clearly items which are only available as accessories are listed as incompatible.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jul 27 2012, 04:12 PM) *
So once again you're making things up and ignoring the RC stacking rules. There is no merit whatsoever to your assertion that accessories don't count, as clearly items which are only available as accessories are listed as incompatible.

Thats a lot of words to make some personal insults, but hey, I can back this up. Italicized lines are my comments. Also, please excuse PDF-pasting: Sometimes formatting is messed up.

4a 332: Gasvents: Gas-vent recoil compensation systems vent a weapon’s barrel gases at a specific vector to counter barrel climb. Gas-vent systems can be built into machine pistols, SMGs, assault rifles, and machine guns. Installing them takes up the barrel mount and requires an Armorer + Logic (8, 1 hour) Extended Test; once installed, they cannot be removed. Weapons already equipped with a built-in gas-vent system cannot be equipped with an additional gas-vent system. The gas-vent 2 system provides 2 points of recoil compensation; the gas-vent 3 system provides 3 points of recoil compensation.
Note how core book gasvents do not have limitation text. RAW, they are superior to modifications, and DO work with silencers.

Arsenal 152, gasvent modifications: Characters can have a a firearm equipped with a sound suppressor or thermal suppressor (p. 153) and a gas-vent system at the same time; however, the gas-vent system must be turned of in order to receive the benefits from the suppressor.
Modifications have this additional line. Accessories do NOT. Don't confuse sense-making real life common sense here - you're welcome to houserule that at your table, but its not what the rules say.

Arsenal 153: An auto-adjusting weight moves a heavier weight to the end of the barrel as the weaponfires, providing 1 point of recoil
compensation for the first shot of an Action Phase, and 2 points of recoil compensation for the second shot. A weapon firing on FA mode receives 2 points of recoil compensation.
So that's 2 points on FA, +1 for the first shot and 2 for the second. Got it. The rest are easier.

Arsenal 34: foregrip: 1 RC to Fullbursts
Arsenal 153: The sling provides one point of recoil compensation.
Arsenal 151: The folding stock provides 1 point of recoilcompensation when braced against the shoulder

Ars 148: Restrictions to Recoil Compensation:
Recoil compensation from an auto-adjusting weight, bipod, foregrip, gyromount, sling, tripod, or underbarrel weight are not cumulative with each other except that the compensation from a foregrip and sling can be combined into an overall recoil compensation of 2
Recoil compensation from a folding stock, hip pad, rigid stock, shock pad, or sling are not cumulative with each other
Recoil compensation from a gas-vent system is not cumulative with that from any other gas-vent system
heavy barrels, personalized grips, and electronic firing aren't pasted because they're not being used
Arsenal 163: Recoil and Strength: In addition to modifications to the weapons and various accessories, characters can reduce a weapon’s recoil penalty simply by having extraordinary Strength. A character with Strength of 6–9 has 1 point of recoil compensation, Strength 10–13 has 2 points, Strength 14–17 has 3 points, and Strength 18+ has 4 points
Note this is an optional rule, but I already said I'm including one from strength earlier, so I'm including it again.

Now that that's laid out, lets count up the RC. You're getting confused because this gun's RC changes a lot based on its settings at the moment. But first, a refresher on shooting:

4a 153: Burst Fire Mode: Simple Action, two bursts per phase, -2 for the first, -3 for the second.
4a 154: Full Auto Mode: Characters can use a weapon in full-auto mode to fire bursts, as noted above(on 153, which is directly above, each taking a Simple Action. Full-auto weapons can also be used to fire long bursts with a Simple Action or full bursts with a Complex Action.
This means you can fire short bursts on FA Mode, which is going to be pretty handy later
As a final clarification, houserules at my table make Accessory Gasvents open, close, and stack with suppressors like modifications do. Its not RAW, but it does make more sense

Okay so:
BF MODE (Burst 1: -2. Burst 2: -3)
Autoweight: +1/+2(second shot)
Strength 6: +1
Sling 0: (Stacking: Autoweight is better)
Gasvent 0(assumed silenced)
Folding stock 1 (stacks with weight, but not sling)
= 3 RC for the first shot, 4 for the second. No recoil!
OR
Sling+Foregrip combo to 2 + strength=3 rc! No Recoil! (ignore weight+stock)
OR
Gasvent 3 = 3 rc! No Recoil!

FA Mode: Short Burst (Burst 1: -2. Burst 2: -3)
Autoweight: +2 for being on FA, +1/+2(second shot)
Folding stock 1:
Sling: +0 (Stacking: Autoweight is better)
Gasvent: +0(assumed silenced)
= 5 RC first shot, 6 RC second shot: No recoil!

FA Mode: Long Burst (burst 1: -5. Burst 2: -6)
Assume that Chameleon Coating is temporarily replaced by High Velocity so that two Long Bursts are possible in one turn. Both are two slots.
Autoweight: +2 for being on FA, +1/+2(second shot)
Folding stock: +1
sling: +0 (stacking!)
foregrip: 0 (stacking! not full burst!)
Gasvent: +3
= 8 RC first shot, 9 RC second! No Recoil!

FA Mode: Full Burst: -9
Autoweight: +2 for being on FA, +1 first shot
Folding stock: +1
Sling: +0 (stacking!)
foregrip: (stacking!)
gasvent: +3
= 8RC! -1 recoil penalty!

And that is why this is a good gun.

Falconer! Don't let yourself get angry over red herrings! : The sling isn't there for RC, its for its Readied and Concealed clause. The foregrip is there for shits and giggles when the stock is folded.

Two sidenotes. One, accessory foregrips are identical to heavy barrels. A case can be made to make them actually identical for RC purposes - I've seen it used, but my table doesn't use that houserule. There's also some room for discussion on whether the RC List means Accessory Foregrips, Modification Foregrips, or Both - because they actually do different things. Depending on what your GM thinks, your 'fake heavy barrel' might give you that last RC you need for fullbursting. Its cheesy to use an accessory foregrip and a sling for 2rc, but the gun doesn't actaully need to make use of it.
Second, If your game isn't using the Strength for RC optional rule, you can completely substitute that with a Personalized Grip or an Electronic Firing. If it IS....a personalized grip lets you fullburst at no penalty.
Yerameyahu
Ah, Udoshi. smile.gif These posts always devolve into, 'look how messed up the rules are!' I appreciate that function, but it's also sad it has to be expressed as 'the broken rules don't say I can't do this…'.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 27 2012, 05:46 PM) *
Ah, Udoshi. smile.gif These posts always devolve into, 'look how messed up the rules are!' I appreciate that function, but it's also sad it has to be expressed as 'the broken rules don't say I can't do this…'.

If you paid attention, you'll notice I'm using the 'common sense gasvent fix' included in my calculations.

But I'm also pointing it out anyway, because its a habit to show my work, and then go into how its been changed for the better.

Does that help?
NiL_FisK_Urd
Ok, now i understand the issue - Udoshi, you got the recoil rules wrong ^^

QUOTE ("SR4A @ p. 153")
The first burst fired in an Action Phase inflicts a –2 recoil modifier, the second inflicts an additional –3 recoil (neutralized by recoil compensation, if any).

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jul 28 2012, 01:37 AM) *
BF MODE (Burst 1: -2. Burst 2: -3)

Burst 1: -2. Burst 2: -5
FA Mode: Short Burst (Burst 1: -2. Burst 2: -3)

FA Mode: Long Burst (burst 1: -5. Burst 2: -6)

Burst 1: -5. Burst 2: -11
Yerameyahu
That's actually why I commented this time, Udoshi. It struck me as so strange that you used a 'common sense fix' when it *helps*, but went ahead and used an 'insane broken error' when *it* helped:
Note how core book gasvents do not have limitation text. RAW, they are superior to modifications, and DO work with silencers.
*and*
Modifications have this additional line. Accessories do NOT. Don't confuse sense-making real life common sense here - you're welcome to houserule that at your table, but its not what the rules say.
biggrin.gif
That's all I'm getting at: this isn't optimization, it's loophole-and-error identification. Which, again, is totally fine, especially in a thread specifically asking for that kind of thing. I just think it's funny.
Udoshi
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jul 27 2012, 06:05 PM) *

That makes WAY more sense.

Checking the FAQ, I'm noticing that a double-short is going to be a -5, which is covered.

I'm noticing the additional clause is only for burst fire mode, though.
Which means a Short(-2) followed by a long(-6 and the previous -2) is also fully compensated.
Halinn
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 27 2012, 10:06 PM) *
I disagree... A Super Warhawk is 8P AP -3. Pretty damned impressive if You ask me. And it makes a Statement. smile.gif

Just get the Cavalier Sheriff from Gun H(e)aven 2. Single shot heavy pistol, 8P AP -4, 5(cy) ammo.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jul 27 2012, 07:05 PM) *

Burst 1: -5. Burst 2: -11

You might want to re-read Recoil again.

For example. Short is -2, -3 - FOR A TOTAL OF -5, just like a Single LONG Burst.

YOU SUFFER 1 POINT OF RECOIL FOR EACH ROUND PAST THE FIRST. For 2 Short Bursts, you fire 6 Rounds. The First 3 round Short Burst only offers a -2 (becasue the First round is free of Recoil), the2nd burst (rounds 4, 5 and 6 add an additional 3 Recoil (for a total of -5 in the pass). See, 6 rounds, and -5 Recoil.

They all work that way.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Halinn @ Jul 27 2012, 08:38 PM) *
Just get the Cavalier Sheriff from Gun H(e)aven 2. Single shot heavy pistol, 8P AP -4, 5(cy) ammo.

Don't have that book yet. *shrug*
And I still prefer my 8 Round Cylinder over a 5 Round Cylinder (or 7 with the Modification)... smile.gif
Yerameyahu
Jesus. No pistol has any right being 8P.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 27 2012, 09:03 PM) *
Jesus. No pistol has any right being 8P.

*shrug* Why Not?
There are certainly examples of such weapons today, though they are surely very uncomfortable to use. I personally know of a few, though they are Custom Guns. I certainly would not want to shoot one for any length of time. smile.gif
Yerameyahu
Because there are 'sniper rifles' weaker than that. I dunno what you're talking about in 'real life' though; I've never seen a gun in reality with a SR4 damage code. wink.gif
Falconer
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jul 27 2012, 08:18 PM) *
That makes WAY more sense.

Checking the FAQ, I'm noticing that a double-short is going to be a -5, which is covered.

I'm noticing the additional clause is only for burst fire mode, though.
Which means a Short(-2) followed by a long(-6 and the previous -2) is also fully compensated.

You mistake something... I only take people to task when they get the rules GROSSLY wrong repeatedly (as you did with direct spells vs OR, then immediately followed by this). And won't bother reading the rules or making patently stupid assertions (such as accesseries don't apply to RC reductions when they're clearly named as being affected).

Rather than going back and rereading the rules in question to prove me wrong. You instead double down and reassert it without making sure you're even right.

I tallied your RC... you only have 6 points maximum ever. (not including strength). I broke down my math to make it easy to follow as well. Listing each of the recoil stacking sections independently. If you're firing suppressed you only have 2points 3 max on the second shot.

You can't fire 12 rounds in a pass because the rules limit you to 1 long burst per action phase. (even if you have two SMG's one in each hand... the rules limit you to a single long burst per phase). The only exception to this is is hyper-velocity weapons, which are allowed to fire 2 long bursts in a pass but banned from firing 3rd bursts. (which is funny because over half the guns with hyper built in also have BF listed as a valid firing mode. BF only ever refers to 3rd bursts!). It takes a free action btw to switch firing modes... so to fire a 3rd burst and a 6rd burst in the same action phase from the same gun you need to use your free action to switch the firing mode.

Another case is you ignored the text stating that sling is not cumulative with EITHER the stock OR the auto-adjusting weight. Given that a sling ONLY costs $10 and takes *NO* modification slots as a modification... this is reasonable that if you have either the sling doesn't stack with anything. It doesn't eat up an accessory slot and it doesn't eat up a modification slot. If you're already getting 2 points RC from a modification foregrip + sling... the 1 point of RC you're getting from the sling doesn't stack with the 1point of RC more you get from a folding stock.

You misapply the auto-adjusting weight willingly. It gives 1RC on the first SA/BF, then an additional +1 for a total of 2 on the second. It does not give +1 then +2 for +3 total.

You cannot fire BF on FA... BF is a distinct 3rd firing mode... though firing FA you can fire either 6rd (long) or 10rd (full) bursts.

Recoil is always cumulative across an IP. It's in the rules. It's always been this way going back to prior editions of Shadowrun as well. In fact in prior editions firing FA or BF every rounnd fired including the first needed recoil compensation to avoid penalties. (so you'd need -3, -6 in SR3, or firing FA -1 per bullet fired). Lets say you have 3 points RC... first burst is at -2+3RC==0 penalty. Second shot is at -5+3RC==-2 penalty. (this is exactly what you have without a gas vent when firing suppressed).

If anything in SR4 RC is too easy to come by and there aren't enough penalties to offset burst fire making automatics the one skill to rule them all.
Udoshi
You're hilarious. You pointed out everything I already did. And yet you're still wrong in some cases.

1) I already pointed out the hypervelocity thing before hand. You called me on something I already pointed out! good job!
2) I did, in fact, point out that the sling doesn't contribute to RC. Did you you miss the +0's, or the part where I said its there for the readied while concealed bonus? Here.
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jul 27 2012, 05:37 PM) *
sling: +0 (stacking!)
foregrip: 0 (stacking! )

QUOTE (Falconer @ Jul 27 2012, 11:35 PM) *
if you're already getting 2 points RC from a modification foregrip + sling... the 1 point of RC you're getting from the sling doesn't stack with the 1point of RC more you get from a folding stock.

Wait? What's that? I'm pretty sure 0 is not 1 or 2! Don't put words in my mouth, man. That's just rude!

3) You can fire bursts on FA Mode. The rules specifically it can shoot short bursts, and to look at the previous section.... which is titled Burst Fire. Read your book.
4) An autoweight isn't misapplied. It contributes 2 RC on FA, as well as +1 for the first shot and +2 for the second. There is a reason its worth 4 slots. It also does stack with the stock. You know, in case you missed the part where I pointed that out.

The one thing I messed up was cumulative recoil, which other people called me out on already.
.... and doesn't matter anyway because there's enough of it.

QUOTE (Falconer @ Jul 27 2012, 11:35 PM) *
You mistake something... I only take people to task when they get the rules GROSSLY wrong repeatedly (as you did with direct spells vs OR, then immediately followed by this). And won't bother reading the rules

Clearly. You're admitting you wont read the rules, when i gave you page numbers and relevant quotes. Stop being lazy, and look stuff up if you want to maintain any sort of credibility.
Falconer
You're intentionally misapplying the auto-adjusting weight in a way the text clearly does not allow.
"An auto-adjusting weight moves a heavy weight to the end of the barrel as the weapon fires, providing 1 point of RC for the first shot of an action phase and 2 points of recoil compensation for the second shot. A weapon firing on FA mode recieves 2 points of recoil compensation."

It doesn't say 2 additional points. It only says 2 RC. That means 1RC on the first SA/BF shot, then 2 *TOTAL* RC on the second. If you fire FA right away you get the 2RC right up front, not in addition to all the rest. And yes the auto-adjusting is a big waste of space I feel... but at the same time it's the only item on that big list of incompatible RC sources which gives 2 points and still stacks with a stock. The only other single source of RC as large or larger are the gas vents.

You already showed above you don't know that recoil is cumulative across a phase. And that it's countered by a fixed RC value. RC is not cumulative... recoil is. RC is you have X amount to start and the cumulative recoil uses it up.

Thanks for pointing out that bit under FA... we'd missed that many times and just would switch the weapons between BF and FA to get 3rd and 6rd bursts. I'll have to start using that. The limitation for high-velocity (it's stuck in my head as hyper for some reason), now makes sense. A gun set to FA can't fire 3rd bursts if it's HV. If it has a BF mode it has a hardware limited 3rd burst and can still fire them.

Again you only have 6 points total RC not including strength. 2 from the auto adjusting weight. 1 from the stock, 3 from the gas vent. You don't get an extra 3 from the weight. Nowhere in the adjusting weight does it say all those values are cumulative!! It only says it's worth this on the first shot, this on the second... and if you fire full auto it's worth this much outright.
Dakka Dakka
While it is not RAW there should not be a Gas Vent accessory if you use the rules from Arsenal. The Gas Vent from the BBB does not follow the definition of accessory from Arsenal.

QUOTE ('Arsenal p. 148')
Some of the weapon modifications presented in this list are also available as firearm accessories. The difference between the two of them is that accessories can be installed without requiring extensive mechanical knowledge, while modifications require an application of the modification rules mentioned at the beginning of this chapter

QUOTE ('SR4A p. 322')
Installing them takes up the barrel mount and requires an Armorer + Logic (8, 1 hour) Extended Test; once installed, they cannot be removed.

They wrote that for Rigger Adaptation and Weapon Mount but IMHO forgot it for the Gas Vent.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012