Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concealed Carry
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Gotti
What weaponry do your runners typically carry on standard walk-around town times?

I typically, for a "samurai" or "gun-bunny", carry a heavy pistol in concealable holster(a paddle holster or a shoulder rig), a light pistol and/or machinepistol(also in a shoulder rig) in concealable holster. A survival knife, or folder or similar tool. A few grenades. Two wallets(each with seperate identification), and reloads for my weapons. A cell phone. Cigerettes and a lighter/matches. Condoms.

It's served me very well in the past. My typical wepaons are Predator, Ceska Skorpian and Fichetti 500a(THE primiere choice for deep carry). The Fichetti has made it in with me pretty far, while I tend to turn in the Predator and ceska if I think it's going to be risky getting them past secrutiy.
A Clockwork Lime
Just walking around town? Maybe a concealed pistol in a quick-draw holster and a secure jacket if it's a rough part of town.
Firewall
Tres chic, long-coat and a Beretta 101-T in a conceled holster. Every inch the sarariman. (he is ex-Renraku, so he knows how to pull it off)

For a night on the town, he includes 'the briefcase'. Deck or an SSM-3, depending on requirements. (his role is decker / sniper)
Pthgar
My Adept carries a Heavy Pistol in a concealed shoulder holster, and a SuperSquirt II loaded with Gamma-Scopolomine in an kle holster.
Abstruse
Actioneer line and a concealed silenced Browning Ultra-Power with five spare clips if it's a rough neighborhood or there's a good chance there'll be trouble (meet with a Johnson), and FFBA half suit with Tres Chic clothes and the Actioneer long coat plus the nice Browning mentioned above if it'll be less likely to be trouble (concert, dinner date, etc). What? I like to dress nice...

The Abstruse One
Kakkaraun
My characters almost always /start out/ on street lifestyles (what can I say, I like playing myself smile.gif), so...everything.

Heh.

Colt Manhunter, a couple of extra clips, secure jacket, switchblade.
Wireknight
I think my character's maximum concealed carry arsenal consists of...

A silenced light pistol under the left arm, dart pistol under the right arm, a spare magazine for each, a MGL-6(small of back or ankle, depending on your interpretation of the weapon's profile), a half-dozen densiplast throwing knives, a tactical folding knife, hardliner gloves, two lightly weighted throwing spikes, a pair of forearm snap blades, a pair of folding boot knives, a pair of collapsible densiplast tonfas, a collapsible staff, and maybe a small explosive device or two, such as quarter-kilogram C-XIII shaped charges.
broho_pcp
I just built a troll ganger (80 b.p.) who carries a stick and wears clothing.

(the idea was H. of V's.)
Siege
Eek, you people scare me.

For every day wear? Like, the corner pub or grocery shopping?

Every day
Colt Manhunter, three mags (1 loaded, two spare)
concealed holster (shoulder rig, hip, cross-hip, jacket lining)
tactical light
multi-tool
trauma patch
cell phone
secure jacket (+ FFBA if likely trouble)
forearm guards and/or hardliner gloves

Concealed carry, expecting trouble
subvocal mike (if adept)
microtransceiver
silencer
pinches of c-4 or c-12 (if not corporate area)
grapple line
survival knife

Carried occasionally if need expected
backpack
medkit (it sounds strange, but it makes "hey, I'm an off-duty medic" more beliveable)
microtronics toolkit ("Sorry officer, but sometimes a patient has 'ware that needs stabilizing...")

*Although this conversation does spawn an interesting point -- given the dangerous nature of a shadowrunner's usually brief life, is (s)he ever really willing to walk around without armor and some form of unusual gear?

Off-duty cops almost always carry a weapon, just in case...

-Siege

Edit: Either remote or wire detonators, should explosives be required
Gotti
Excellent.

Now, further along the line. What does your character have in the trunk of his/her car if you have one?

Me, typically an americar or other cheap junk-mobile(nothing too flashy) with an assault rifle in the trunk, lotsa ammo for said assault rifle. Grenades. Shotgun in the passenger comparment. Ceska under the seat. Armour. A camos-suit, or more(preferably urban, southeastern forest, and a southern plains patterns). Flares. flashlight. Duct tape. Carton of cigerettes. Blankets, change of clothes etc.

I got to the ride when it get's bad. biggrin.gif
Wireknight
20x83mm anti-materiel rifle, broken down, with ten rounds of armor piercing incendiary ammunition.

And a spare tire.
Neon Tiger
Well it depends on my char, but my main char, Maelstrom, only carries a kris and long coat + formfitting. (And 2 credsticks, 1 real, 1 fake.) He really doesn't need anything more, because with Sorcery/Spellcasting 6/12 and spells like Manabolt, Stunball, Lightning Bolt, Fireball and Armageddon, he can transform into a walking artillery platform in an instant. cool.gif
sidartha
My last character walked around with a Slivergun in a conceal quick draw holster, 1 spare mag, FFBA, armored suit or Securetech longcoat, Pocket Secretary, fake ID, cigs+light.
In the Porche Winter's trunk nyahnyah.gif he had a Savior Medkit and another fake ID.
At home for night-of-the-run use only was a Runthenium cloak various electronic gear, a dart pistol w/silencer and a spare mag, an HK227S w/three spare mags, Battletak Master Unit, and so on and so forth.
Basically if jumped on the street and the fight is not decided in one combat turn then he runs away and comes back tooled up. carrying an arsenal down the street is a good way to attract unwanted attention.
Solstice
carry at all times (Japanese female sam/sniper/b&e/assassin):
tres chic suit
ffba (2nd skin line)
auctioneer
2 x custom designed heavy pistols (10M dmg, MAD undetectable, conceal 7)
2 x cougar fine blades
certified credstick with 15,000 on it
misc funds in color/script
cell phone/pda
Drug known only as "J". Interrogation drug,

In car/bike:
Barret sniper rifle heavily modified
2 x Ares monokatanas dikoted
gas grenades
Eyeless Blond
Yeesh, and I thought I was being over-paranoid carrying around a Secure Long coat and a Slivergun in a concealable holster as street clothes. How can you guys carry two pistols around w/ three mags each anyway? I take it your GMs aren't that anal about encumberance, right?

Btw, don't you get odd looks wandering around the Barrens in tres chic clothing? Isn't that just inviting gangers to mess with you?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Solstice)
In car/bike:

eek.gif I take it you don't drive that bike anywhere where there might be legal people around?
Smiley
On person: Cougar Fineblade (Dikoted, of course), Browning Ultra-power, many, many, throwing knives.

In the car: everything else i can concievably fit in it.

Mostly, it's the tres chic over some FFBA and a long coat over it. Sunglasses/smartgoggles, too.
Solstice
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Yeesh, and I thought I was being over-paranoid carrying around a Secure Long coat and a Slivergun in a concealable holster as street clothes. How can you guys carry two pistols around w/ three mags each anyway? I take it your GMs aren't that anal about encumberance, right?

Btw, don't you get odd looks wandering around the Barrens in tres chic clothing? Isn't that just inviting gangers to mess with you?

My pistols don't weigh much since they are completely poly resins and the 3 mags (1 for each gun and a spare) really isn't much. (8 point ambidexterity edge).

as far as the tres chic clothing. Our characters actually live in the barrens close to Touristville and the gangers have learned the hard way not to frag with my character. I do wear normal street clothes like cargo pants and halter top when I'm hanging around the Barrens but I try not to since I have a huge oriental dragon tatoo the curls up my entire arm and I have some japanese characters tatooed between my shoulder blades etc.

Generally I wear the tres chic clothing because 99.9% of our buisness occurs downtown or in bellevue so Dantes, Umbra that sort of thing were it pays to look like a player...and also back it up.

It all ties into distinctive style flaw

oh yeah commuting is a slitch! wink.gif
Solstice
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Solstice)
In car/bike:

eek.gif I take it you don't drive that bike anywhere where there might be legal people around?

I can't fit it in my bike, but I can fit my katanas strapped to the side which is why I included it. I also have a SIN and a permit for everything that a person can get a permit for that I own. From my wired reflexes to my katanas.

On a side note my bike is a white eagle with a LMG mounted but my rigger partner hid it in the air intake on one side so you can only see the barrel if you stick your head down and look directly into the intake. Thats when i push the button. grinbig.gif
Smiley
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Apr 19 2004, 02:39 PM)

That's how i got my H-D Scorpion. grinbig.gif
mcb
My rigger when away from his rig carries a Colt single action army in 45LC. In a left handed cross draw holster worn behind him for easy right had draw from under his long duster while keeping it out of sight behind him. There's and extra 18 rounds in loops on the belt for reloads. When the $H!T hits the fan he grabs his trusty SxS 12 gage and a handfull of buckshot. Yah he does wear snake skin ropers, his belt buckle is the size of a small salad plate and he wears a worn out straw hat like Tobby Keith's.

mcb
broho_pcp
Normal day life I usually wear a ffhb suit, normal clothing and will have a knife/ext. baton/nunchaku/shock gloves; depending upon my best skill. I prefer to walk around and rely on my wits.
Arethusa
Good lord. That's one gigantic air intake.

[edit]

mcb, I do believe you are positively stylish.
Solstice
interesting gear choices and a neat character concept. I personally would not use such outdated weaponry. This is 2063 omae, speed kills.

Single action lol!
Solstice
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Good lord. That's one gigantic air intake.

[edit]

mcb, I do believe you are positively stylish.

look frag head what u want me to do? We aren't all engineers and it is just a game. I just go along with what my GM says. It was his idea and if he wants to deal with it then I say let him lol. smile.gif I personally would not allow it if I was Gm but im not so hey might as well break his game.
kevyn668
Pocket knife, pack of gum, and a smile.

nyahnyah.gif
Eyeless Blond
One good thing about single action pistols is that one shot is generally all you need. Those things usually pack massive firepower.

Another good thing about single-shot weapons (which SR sadly doesn't deal with) is misfires and such, which happen much less often on reliable single-shot weapons.
Arethusa
Actually, .45LC doesn't hit much harder than a modern day .40S&W. It's more a style thing than anything else.

And, yeah, is sad that weapon reliability is ignored, but since I've never seen a system for it that even approached elegance, that's just what you get.
blakkie
It isn't ignored completely, just downplayed a lot. EX and EX-EX ammunion destroys the weapon and can injury the shooter on all 1's. It really is a game speed issue, unless you can think of a really smooth way to simulate reliabily of SA/BF/FA breech jams and stuff?
Solstice
not to get off on a tangent but IMO by 2060s the whole pistol design thing should be pretty much at a point where malfunctions with normal ammo are nonexistant.

I'll pull a couple examples from today:

Torture tests are favorite activites of the gun industry I remember one such test many years back featuring the Ruger P series semi auto pistol. They fired 100,000 round through it without a malfunction. THey also froze it with liquid nitrogen, ran over it with an SUV, dumped sand in it etc etc. they had virtually no malfuntions.

Also I know this was done with Glocks when trying to get police contracts. The sales rep would throw the guns down the hall into the concrete, park trucks on top of them, throw them in the mud, wipe them off load and fire, dump sand etc in em.

One other thing is I believe that guns in 2060s use caseless ammo which eliminates 99% of the window in which malfunctions happen since there is no slide to cycle or shell ejected, no shell to get stuck, no ejector to break off or not grab the case rim etc etc etc.

In closing, i think with pistols/shotguns that malfuntions are virtually non existant
kevyn668
The caseless/cased thing is still being debated....Isn't it?

Seems like it depends on your GM. Of course it could just have been mine...when I had one.
blakkie
QUOTE (Solstice @ Apr 19 2004, 08:54 PM)
not to get off on a tangent but IMO by 2060s the whole pistol design thing should be pretty much at a point where malfunctions with normal ammo are nonexistant.

Never under-estimate the call of greed to have companies sell inferior quality through superior marketing and pricing. smile.gif

One other thing is I believe that guns in 2060s use caseless ammo which eliminates 99% of the window in which malfunctions happen since there is no slide to cycle or shell ejected, no shell to get stuck, no ejector to break off or not grab the case rim etc etc etc.

Er, no. Caseless ammo is a specific design that a weapon can have.

EDIT: Hmmm, i must have missed this debate. I thought that the CC was pretty damn clear on this. *shrug*

In closing, i think with pistols/shotguns that malfuntions are virtually non existant.

I've seen pump action shotguns have problems if not operated smoothly. *shrug*
mcb
QUOTE (Solstice)
interesting gear choices and a neat character concept. I personally would not use such outdated weaponry. This is 2063 omae, speed kills.

Single action lol!

You hit it right on the head, the good old boy look makes for a fun and interesting character all though the antiquated revolver with its slow unload/reload and slow rate of fire makes him less then effective in a fire fight but then when its available he would much rather be plug into his rig where real fire power is more accessible at much higher rates of fire from the two pop up turrets on his truck.

mcb
Solstice
well even the greatest design in the world can fail if it's not operated/cleaned/maintained in the recommended manner.

Don't you think I was assuming proper operation/maintenance?

And yes even pump shotguns can malfunction (even though none of my 3 ever have) but you should agree that the conditions need to be pretty extreme for that to happen or a complete ass trying to shuck it.

No need to say more I think I made my point.
blakkie
QUOTE (Solstice @ Apr 19 2004, 09:05 PM)
well even the greatest design in the world can fail if it's not operated/cleaned/maintained in the recommended manner.

Don't you think I was assuming proper operation/maintenance?

And yes even pump shotguns can malfunction (even though none of my 3 ever have) but you should agree that the conditions need to be pretty extreme for that to happen or a complete ass trying to shuck it.

No need to say more I think I made my point.

Very few runs occur on the firing range, only marginally more occur under ideal conditions. A lot of them occur while dragging yourself through sewers, rubble, and body parts.
Solstice
ahem. Don't try to use the straw man on me.

I didn't say "ideal" conditions. I meant "not extreme". There is a huge difference.

Allow me to reiterate as there seems to be some confusion: Any production pistol in the 2060s (with the possibly exception of puzzlers and hold out pistols) can function flawlessly under normal duty cycles (combat etc). Based on history and current trends, a pistol in the 2060s would need to be subjected to EXTREME conditions (such as acid, liquid nitrogen, extreme crushing force etc) for extended periods of time, conditions as such, that are rather unlikely to occur in the course of normal use and most of them will probably still fire reliably.

Remember this is just MO based on what I've read, your game can be whatever u want it to be.

They didn't conduct torture tests in a white room use your head dude.
Arethusa
QUOTE (blakkie)
It isn't ignored completely, just downplayed a lot. EX and EX-EX ammunion destroys the weapon and can injury the shooter on all 1's. It really is a game speed issue, unless you can think of a really smooth way to simulate reliabily of SA/BF/FA breech jams and stuff?

It might as well be ignored. Ex-Ex doesn't come close to representing weapon malfunction due to battlefield conditions. And, no, I can't think of a very smooth way to do it under SR's mechanics. Far as I can tell, no one has, which is why I'm ok with it being ignored. I just consider it very, very unfortunate, as it creates a lot of extremely interesting dynamics.

QUOTE (Solstice)

I'll pull a couple examples from today:

Torture tests are favorite activites of the gun industry I remember one such test many years back featuring the Ruger P series semi auto pistol. They fired 100,000 round through it without a malfunction. THey also froze it with liquid nitrogen, ran over it with an SUV, dumped sand in it etc etc. they had virtually no malfuntions.

Also I know this was done with Glocks when trying to get police contracts. The sales rep would throw the guns down the hall into the concrete, park trucks on top of them, throw them in the mud, wipe them off load and fire, dump sand etc in em.

In closing, i think with pistols/shotguns that malfuntions are virtually non existant

Well, then you'd be wrong. I'm glad you think this, but this absolutely not the case. Under battlefield conditions, those torture tests don't mean anything, and jams are actually an issue no matter how good the gun is. Pistols do jam. So do shotguns. They are not virtually nonexistent.

As for your belief that guns in the 2060s use caseless, canon states that they can be either. But sanity states that only a few specific guns are caseless, as none of the SR guns function as true caseless weapons would. The debate goes on, but it's very safe to assume that 60 years from now, most small arms'll still be using traditional ammunition designs.

Blakkie's right: guns don't really jam on the range, and even torture tests don't simulate what it's really like to drag a gun through a battle.
John Campbell
My usual off-duty gear is a Securetech jacket, sometimes with my Browning MaxPower in a concealed holster and survival knife in boot, depending on the neighborhood.

Plus a whole list of illegally high-Force combat spells. Sorcerers have all sorts of advantages in weapon concealability.
blakkie
QUOTE (Solstice)
ahem. Don't try to use the straw man on me.

I didn't say "ideal" conditions. I meant "not extreme". There is a huge difference.

Allow me to reiterate as there seems to be some confusion: Any production pistol in the 2060s (with the possibly exception of puzzlers and hold out pistols) can function flawlessly under normal duty cycles (combat etc). Based on history and current trends, a pistol in the 2060s would need to be subjected to EXTREME conditions (such as acid, liquid nitrogen, extreme crushing force etc) for extended periods of time, conditions as such, that are rather unlikely to occur in the course of normal use and most of them will probably still fire reliably.

Remember this is just MO based on what I've read, your game can be whatever u want it to be.

They didn't conduct torture tests in a white room use your head dude.

WTF??? eek.gif I'm not sure were exactly this strawman is you are talking about?

I'm just saying on 'normal' runs you in fact can see extreme conditions. Including some that you mention. Well maybe Acid elemental spells only occur for short concentrated bursts each as opposed to long periods of time, but it is still some nasty stuff. People beat on you and your weapon isn't always inside your armour. Playing last night a fragging 10-story building dropped on us, or at least parts of it as we ran out the door.

IRL the shotgun issue i mentioned had to do with vegetation from the blind i was in and/or unnoticed dirt on a shell cartriage. Stuff like that can happen in time critical situation, and all i had to worry about my target doing was crapping on my head as they flew past as opposed to a target that was shooting back.
CircuitBoyBlue
I think a lot of the pistols in the shadowrun world would malfunction a whole lot, actually. Think about it. Most weapons are produced by Ares or someone with greatly similar corporate interests. Ares is also in charge of security in a lot of situations. They know exactly which weapons commonly make it to the street. I imagine most of the market for things like Ares Predators comes from low-lives like shadowrunners, who aren't really going to be taking advantage of a factory warrantee. If I were Ares, I'd purposely sell defective equipment. On one end, I'd be making sure that a lot of my opposition was using weaponry that wasn't reliable, and on the other end, my big worry would be liability. Only it wouldn't, because as a megacorp, I'd be immune to consumer protection laws. The way I see it, weapon reliability in the shadows would be a victim of the Class War.
Herald of Verjigorm
Have you seen the number of companies in SR that produce guns? It's not just Ares. Have you seen how often PCs will buy a 2000 nuyen.gif gun because it sounds cooler or has a slightly better conceal/clip/damage/etc. than another gun?

If Ares made faulty products, it would become known, and their guns wouldn't sell. They might be economically fine, but then they also wouldn't have as impressive of a market share. Would you rather work for a corp that makes the best guns, and issues them to you, or a corp that makes faulty guns but tells you that they added those flaws to the street version and you are getting one that works?
Gotti
So now, what do you keep in your safe-house?

For me, weapons kit, weights, computer, stacks of manuals and books, lots of paper, a dry erase board, stockpile of food, boxes of ammunition and a number of firearms. Alternative IDs.

I also maintain quite a few of these safe-houses, as they make it easier to survive.
gknoy
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
I think a lot of the pistols in the shadowrun world would malfunction a whole lot, actually. . . . The way I see it, weapon reliability in the shadows would be a victim of the Class War.

This could be one of the best arguments I've seen in a long time, for anything. =)

Bravo!
Solstice
That argument is totally unfounded. If their firearms were not superb (which there is much literature to suggest that they are nothing but) they would not be the top arms maker. One does not get to the top by flooding the market with inferior crap. Take for instance Berreta or Bennelli or any of the other quality gun makers.

blakkie if your pump is malfuntioning from something like that I would get a different gun. I've had one of my Mossbergs in numerous bad situations from Alaska to the Oregon coast and it's not failed to fire/function once.
Firewall
QUOTE (Gotti)

The troll gun-bunny...
Solstice
QUOTE (Firewall)
QUOTE (Gotti @ Apr 19 2004, 11:03 PM)

The troll gun-bunny...

and a doctor lol
moosegod
To be back on track-

Brawling 6 and a bunch of Combat Spells +3 dice. Dragonslayer trolls rockzor.
Smiley
How was that back on track?
moosegod
CCW, not rambling about weapon malfunctions.
kevyn668
Hey Gotti--Um, why a "dry erase board?"

AND (b/c I just couldn't resist)

Why would Ares, the (seemedly) #1 weapons manufacturer and distributor in the world, holder of numerious national military contracts, and parent corp of KE produce subpar weapons?

Moreover, if they were intended to be sub par in canon, there is a real lack of rules to govern the "sub-par Ares manufactured weapons."

Now, if youre the GM and that's your gritty plott twist....I salute you, sir. Your villiany surpasses even my own. vegm.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012