Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking bank accounts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 25 2012, 01:10 PM) *
Only high end Sculptured systems will have their own reality (High Level Corporate R&D, Entertainment Industries, Etc), for the most part

Uh. No. This is blatantly wrong per canon. EVERY node is sculpted with its own metaphore. That fancy Matrix Cafe?* Well, it's all decked out in 1980's Disco Theme and there's a rave party going on. The Library? Is a -ing library on the matrix. In the real world it doesn't exist.

Check the Virtual Reality section of the Matrix rules. "VR environments are fantastic for intense and realistic [...] experiences." That implies at least some basic level of sculpting is available at all times.

Also, as it specifically refers to "VR simsense sculpting" it DOES NOT work in AR.

Oh, and in case that wasn't enough, go read Psychotrope.

*Hint: Matrix CAFE. As in, a cafe in the matrix, not a cafe with a matrix connection.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Nov 25 2012, 10:27 AM) *
Uh. No. This is blatantly wrong per canon. EVERY node is sculpted with its own metaphore. That fancy Matrix Cafe?* Well, it's all decked out in 1980's Disco Theme and there's a rave party going on. The Library? Is a -ing library on the matrix. In the real world it doesn't exist.

Check the Virtual Reality section of the Matrix rules. "VR environments are fantastic for intense and realistic [...] experiences." That implies at least some basic level of sculpting is available at all times.

Oh, and in case that wasn't enough, go read Psychotrope.

*Hint: Matrix CAFE. As in, a cafe in the matrix, not a cafe with a matrix connection.

As I said, apparently you and I have differeing opinions on this subject. *shrug* Wouldn't be the first time.
Did not really care for Psychotrope. Badly written in my opinion. *shrug*
Draco18s
So I ask:

What is VR without any sculpting?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Nov 25 2012, 10:48 AM) *
So I ask:

What is VR without any sculpting?

I don't consider basic VR as anything especially special. It is the Basic Scultpting that everyone experiences. It is FAR DIFFERENT than a Sculpted System, like Virtual Disney. *shrug*

There is sculpting and then there is Sculpting. *shrug*
_Pax._
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 25 2012, 12:10 PM) *
Only high end Sculptured systems will have their own reality [...]

The Matrix itself has a default reality.
Draco18s
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Nov 25 2012, 07:37 PM) *

Precisely, which will still make a contested roll against the Reality Filter.

Anything else is a house rule.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Nov 26 2012, 07:37 AM) *

Indeed it does, Mr Anderson...
Halinn
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Nov 26 2012, 12:37 AM) *

Yeah, but nobody likes that. It just looks like 1999. Boooring.
Manunancy
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 24 2012, 01:05 PM) *
Manumancy: And the appropriate countermeasure to that is to install your flypaper commlink, walk away, and program it to monitor the site for a set amount of time (three days should be sufficient, but you can go to one week if you want to,) and have it exclude any device nodes that are there more than a certain amount of time in that threshold:

Which can probably defeated by changing the honeypot's ID and making sure the physical part is rotated to look like it belongs to a customer fairly easily - that's going into counter-counter-counter measure race, and I'm somewhat skeptical of that ability of low-end hackbot stuck into a low-end disposable link to be very effecitve at sorting out it's targets.

I don't say t's impossible and will automaically fail, but rather that it won't be the instawin failproof scheme you seems to say it is.
NiL_FisK_Urd
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Nov 26 2012, 08:46 AM) *
Which can probably defeated by changing the honeypot's ID and making sure the physical part is rotated to look like it belongs to a customer fairly easily - that's going into counter-counter-counter measure race, and I'm somewhat skeptical of that ability of load-end hackbot stuck into a low-end disposable link to be very effecitve at sorting out it's targets.

I don't say t's impossible and will automaically fail, but rather that it won't be the instawin failproof scheme you seems to say it is.

Which is really easy, just make the honeypot a drone with a spoof chip.
_Pax._
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Nov 26 2012, 03:08 AM) *
Which is really easy, just make the honeypot a drone with a spoof chip.

... counterable by making the dropper commlink a drone with a spoof chip, too.

A small one. With Gecko Tips and chameleon Skin. So it can slowly meander around the mall, invisible, on the ceiling, changing it's AccessID every hour. So, hey look, instead of a single-day hack, it spends the next five to eight days doing the hacks. Slower, and more carefully. PLUS, it can follow a target customer around the mall or shopping area, rather than using a second agent to decentralise where the thefts happen.

QUOTE (Halinn @ Nov 25 2012, 10:27 PM) *
Yeah, but nobody likes that. It just looks like 1999. Boooring.

... my default matrix looks like Tron. Low-rated nodes look like the first movie, high-rated nodes look like the second.
NiL_FisK_Urd
Also only enable the wireless link (on the hackers drone) at business hours.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Nov 26 2012, 04:23 PM) *
Also only enable the wireless link (on the hackers drone) at business hours.

IE 24-7. The corps aren't going to lose the valuable 'I woke up at three AM and decided I needed to go shoe shopping' crowd merely for allow its wage-slaves time off.
_Pax._
Especially since a lot of places will be fully automated, using RFID inventory control to simply watch Joe or Sue Nobody walk out the door with XYZ merchandise ... causing an automatic debit against that person's credit account (via a "thank you for shopping with us; please authorise payment here" AR popup).
The Jopp
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Nov 25 2012, 06:07 PM) *
I'm digging through the books right now, and almost every mean thing a hacker can do to a target system that effects response will freeze the node when response is reduced to 0.
(DDOS, Sparky echo, Nuke*). Many other sections refer back to "Response Degradation" on page 212 of the core book (which offers no insights into what happens at a response of 0).

*Nuke specifically needs to reduce both System/Pilot and Response to 0.

I said that *I* use such a rule. In this case it would be specific for the Reality Filter. I find it retarded that a commlink suddenly can gain a performance increase because you use a "matrix theme" that replaces the iconography you see and force the opponent to use your iconography and his computer starts to get slower.

So in the case of the Reality Filter I would say it affects any DICE ROLLS that involves XXXX+RESPONSE. That means that you get a dice pool bonus or a penalty instead of the chance of your computer crashing randomly because of a rather minor program.
Draco18s
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Nov 26 2012, 10:58 AM) *
I said that *I* use such a rule.

I missed that caveat, whoops.

To the rest of it: I agree. It's -ing retarded.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012