Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Catching up...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Sengir
QUOTE (Bull @ Dec 12 2012, 04:13 AM) *
If we ever published a book with an Obsidiman, or if I referred to Simon Andrews from Missions as a T'Skrang, FASA could sue us for infringement, and likely would have to because of the way certain copyright laws work. Heck, despite Simon being an obviuos reference to a T'Skrang, even then we were careful to make sure he looks a little different than the traditional T'Skrang. And he's simply a Changeling now.

Is it just a question of names, or does the IP include the distinct characteristics of those races (like GW's claim for the concept of oversized pauldrons)?
Nath
I put together a version of the story that try to account for a bunch of things regarding Dunkelzahn and Ghostwalker move to America, the Loremaster title (including Nachtmeister use of it in Dunkelzahn's Secrets), Crater Lake, Denver and Yuichotol. Possibly not very well written, but call that a draft (hey, English is not my native language, okay ?).
A long time ago, during the Scourge of Fourth Age, the dragons of the Western Continent decided to use BLood Magic to fight the Horrors and Corruption. Some dragons used Blood Magic to regenerate the land and regrow the rainforest. Other dragons taught Blood Magic to metahumans to field an army against the Horrors. The former warned the metahumans weren't wise enough to handle such power. The later replied that knowledge was to disappear with their short-lived existence, while the Blood Magic could be tainting the earth and water forever. Each side soon accused the other of being manipulated by the Horrors. The argument turned into a quarrel, the quarrel turned into a fight, and the fight turned into a war between dragons. Even the Loremaster of the Council of the Western Continent, who should have been a voice of reason, took a side, forgetting his duties and banning all those who opposed his views as outcasts.

Across the oceans, other dragons in the rest of the world were well aware of the war between their brethren. The dragon Moutainshadow had succeeded Vasdenjas as the Loremaster of the Council of Barsaive. The Loremaster of the Council of Cathay came to him. If even the Loremaster was failing, the Council of the Western Continent was no more, he told him (though, from his point of view, it was the Eastern Continent). It now was the duty of the other Loremasters to replace him to uphold peace and the laws of the dragons.
The Council concurred Mountainshadow was to go to the Western Continent along with the Loremaster of Cathay. Mountainshadow's brother Icewing was to come with him. As they were the sons of All-Wing, the most respected dragon of her generation, and they had proved many times they were the fiercest enemies of the Horrors, both sides of the conflict ought to listen to them.

Heading west, the dragons went through the dark forest of Vasgothia. They found the Loremaster of the Council of Vasgothia, and asked him/her to join their quest. But the old dragon was about to die, having waited for a long time for a worthy heir to arise. After his death, a Rite of Succession was to be held, and the winner to become the new Loremaster of the Council of Vasgothia.
Among the dragons of Vasgothia, the strongest contenders in the Rite of Succession were Lofwyr and Nightmaster and both had made clear they wouldn't join the Loremaster of Barsaive and Cathay in their quest. Angered by their disdain, Icewing decided to compete. As the Rite began, Icewing easily vanquished a handful of dragons. But Lofwyr saw the hidden ally that fought with him was not a mere spirit, but the spirit of a dead dragon, Icewing's deceased mate Yuichotol, somehow attached to the world of the living. Lofwyr's magic almost destroyed Yuichotol spirit, fragmenting it into dozens of fragment. Icewing immediately turned on Lofwyr. It was a harsh fight, and both dragons were severely wounded and exhausted. Nightmaster, who only had to fight weaker foes so far, was reaching for victory. But Mountainshadow unexpectedly stepped in. He took Nightmaster by surprise and overpowered him, claiming victory in the Rite and the title of Loremaster of the Council of Vasgothia.
Nightmaster challenged Mountainshadow claim: one dragon couldn't be the Loremaster of two councils he said. But the Loremaster of the Council of Cathay upholds there weren't any law of the dragons who opposed that, even if it never ever happened. A majority of dragons of the Council of Vasgothia, including Lofwyr, accepted the outcome of the Rite of Succession, and recognized Mountainshadow as their new Loremaster. One of them, the dragon Hestaby, also choose to follow them on their mission.

Mountainshadow, Icewing and the Loremaster of Cathay, followed by Hestaby, finally reached the Western Continent (by that point, having traveled half the world from east to west, the Loremaster of Cathay would have probably agreed to call it the Western Continent). The war was still raging. The Deserts and Mountains belonged to the teachers, the Plains and Forests to the growers. They settled on the frontline, in the place the Great Plains and the Rocky Mountains meet, the Front Range
First, Mountainshadow and Icewing gathered the spirits of the land. The war could end he said, and he was asking for their help. The spirits were reluctant to come, because they were divided as the lands were. Icewing vowed there would be never ever be a fight in the place they would gather.
Mountainshadow and Hestaby the gathered the metahumans. Few came, but they listened to her request for help.
Finally, Mountainshadow and the Loremaster of Cathay gathered the dragons. The Loremaster of Cathay had brought from the East a stone called the Jewel of Memory, who allowed him to search into the past what each had done. And so they unmasked which of the dragons were the tools of the Horrors, among them the Loremaster of the West.
In the battle that ensued, the Loremaster of the West killed the Loremaster of Cathay, before Mountainshadow killed the Loremaster of the West. Only when the dust would settle, would the surviving dragons realize the law of the dragons made Mountainshadow the only Loremaster of Cathay, Barsaive, Vasgothia and the West.
But the battle wasn't over yet. The great dragon Llao fled to the west, to his lair atop Mount Mazama. Icewing pursued him. Llao saw in him the love he had lost. He told Icewing he could led him to those who mastered the secret of resurrection. All he needed was a sacrifice to open the way. Icewing listened to him, and did has he said. He killed Llao, ripping his heart and throwing his head cut into Crater Lake. With the heart, he was able to open a gate to a distant plane of existence. But it was a trap, and as Llao planned, the gate closed, trapping Icewing out of our world.

The war was over. The dragons wrongly thought the servants of the Horrors had been all defeated. Hualpa, the leader of the growers, returned into the rainforest in the south. Mountainshadow established a lair in the place they gathered spirits, metahumans and dragons. Hestaby set her lair on Mount Shasta, to keep on eye on Llao's lair. And the dragons fell asleep, the Fourth Age ended.

But the spirit of Yuichotol had survived in Vasgothia. Despite the distance, she had heard when Icewing called for the spirits to join him in the Front Range. She couldn't travel there though, only follow the men and women, slowly moving west, crossing the ocean, to reach the Front Range. But her beloved wasn't there. And she waited for his return.
I'm using Earthdawn era name, so Mountainshadow is Dunkelzahn, and Icewing is Ghostwalker. Nightmaster doesn't appear in Earthdawn, but I translated the name instead of the German Nachtmeister he uses in the Sixth Age. The name Llao comes from the Klamath legend on Crater Lake.

For additional fun, have Hestaby falling in love with Icewing/Ghostwalker, following him in the west and waiting for his return all that time. Or at least, have Lofwyr convinced of this being the reason she refused to mate with him when he offered her to at the end of Survival of the Fittest.
ggodo
Well done, Nath.
Smirnov
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Dec 13 2012, 12:20 AM) *
Not to mention Ghostwalker in Denver.

You'd almost think that tensions were ratching up or something.

Oh wait!

biggrin.gif

(Edited because I can't read.)

Sirrurg didn't sack Devner... yet.
What I meant was that relations between Ghostwalker and Sirrurg are somewhat clear, but Celedyr and Sirrurg - a black page (for me at least)

Nath, that was some great write-up!
But wasn't Mountinshadow mentor to Dunkelzahn?
Faelan
QUOTE (Smirnov @ Dec 13 2012, 08:29 AM) *
But wasn't Mountinshadow mentor to Dunkelzahn?

No he is correct. Mountainshadow is in fact Dunkelzahn.
Smirnov
I need to correct my notes then.
And was Lofwyr Loremaster before he got the Jewel from the will or became after he got it? Don't have the books now to check it.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Smirnov @ Dec 14 2012, 05:34 AM) *
I need to correct my notes then.
And was Lofwyr Loremaster before he got the Jewel from the will or became after he got it? Don't have the books now to check it.

AFterwards.

He won the position in Survival of the Fittest, either narrowly edging out Hestaby or losing to her, but she passed the title to him. It's a tad murky.

Dunk did things quite a bit differently than Dragon Traditions said he should.
Nath
As far as I understand dragons' laws, the title of Loremaster can be claimed by the dragon who get one specific memory crystal from the previous Loremaster hoard (in Dunkelzahn's case, the Jewel of Memory). When the Draco Foundation gave Lofwyr the Jewel of Memory in accordance to the Will of Dunkelzahn, most dragons accepted Lofwyr as Loremaster.
However, under dragons laws, when a dragon kill another, he get his hoard. When a dragon die in any other circumstances, a Rite of Succession is held. The winner can dispose of his hoard the way he wants it. If he does give the memory crystal to another dragon, allowing him to claim the title of Loremaster, or possibly to give it to a third dragon...

As a side note, it has yet to be stated if a Loremaster can "resign" from his position by giving the memory crystal to another dragon anytime outside of a Rite of Succession.

For a better comprehension, here's the conversation that takes between the great dragons at the beginning of Survival of the Fittest (I removed the descriptions, to keep it short).
Ghostwalker: HOLD!
Lofwyr: For what reaons to you interrupt the rites of this Council, Doll-Maker?
Ghostwalker: Because the rites are not in order, Gold-Master. This Council should not even be convened, nor have you any right to open it.
Lofwyr: Strange words, considering you called this Council yourself. Why do so if you claim not to recognize its validity?
Ghostwalker: It seemed the simplest way to gather us together for what had to be done, considering the unprecedented circumstances.
Lofwyr: Then perhaps you should permit the Council to continue, so we may learn your reasons for calling it.
Ghostwalker: There is no Council. Nor can there be, until the Loremaster is chosen.
Lofwyr: The choice has been made.
Ghostwalker: Not in accordance to our customs and traditions. Unless you claim to have arranged the events that led to the Loremaster's end?
Lofwyr: I make no such claim.
Ghostwalker: Then you have no claim to the title and role of Loremaster.
Lofwyr: I have the Jewel of Memory. It was given to me...
Ghostwalker: Given! Not won. Not attained by right. Awarded by random chance.
Celedyr: Hardly random, Doll-Maker. Far-Scholar clearly chose quite deliberately to give the Jewel to Gold-Master, for reasons he did not see fit to reveal to us. Do you, of all of us, question his judgement.
Ghostwalker: I do, Stone-Diver. Though I honor and respect my brother's memory, I must question this most flagrant violation of our ways, just as I must question why it has been allowed to stand. From all that I have seen and heard since my return, I can only assume the reason is a lack of courage.
Smirnov
So, Hestaby isn't just having issues with Lofwyr, she's actually rebelling against the order anв the nominal 'ruler' of the dragons (as far as dragons have one)?
Nath
There is no "ruler" among dragons, only rules they obey to. The Loremaster role is ceremonial and clerk duties. He cannot change the law, even if he wanted to. The real power lies in the councils of dragons, who have the authority to judge and ban a dragon. Hestaby did rebel against the order when she publicly asked for the dragon Sirrurg to answer to Human justice. By involving humans into dragons affair, she broke the law. Lofwyr role as a Loremaster was to call for a Council, make the introduction speech, announces which rule did she break, and open the vote. He didn't get to pick a side, it was his duty. All the rest, the assassinations and destruction of property, are just shows of force (any couple therapist would say that's good, it means they still communicate).

Vasdenjas, Loremaster of the Council of Barsaive during the Fourth Age, explained the position in Earthdawn sourcebook Dragons :
Among the dragons of a given region there is chosen one who is known as the Loremaster. This is the dragon who ensures that proper Ritual and tradition is adhered to at dragon gatherings, and is also the dragon responsible for recording the history of the dragons of his region, and for ensuring that our history is maintained even after his death.
Smirnov
That's what I meant when I said 'as far as dragons have one'. Alright, I'll be more careful with words, minding my bad English.

After the whole event you described Dunkezahn was the sole Loremaster of dragons, a title which he passed to Lofwyr after his death. It wasn't properly contested - Ghostwalker objected, but didn't press it. Loremaster in itself is the only form of authority the dragons have (as far i know at least), and it is a pivotal position. If anything the dragons value more than their hordes, it's the survival of the race as a whole, and Loremaster wnsures this survival. So, Lofwyr is the only authority dragons have. Hestaby defies the laws of dragons. In this she acts not against Lofwyr, but against Loremaster and orthodox dragon rules.
SpellBinder
Or, at least, the traditions she feels are no longer necessary for the dragons to keep in the sixth age.
Smirnov
Sure she does, and I can see how her position is justified. After all, being metahuman I feel for a dragon who is pro-metahuman (at least for show), but still she is going against the authority, it's not just a rivalry between two dragons.
Faelan
I think Hestaby is just sick of the cycle of violence. While there is nothing concrete either in Earthdawn or Shadowrun, it can be surmised that the downcycle hunting of dragons was not necessarily the first incident of such. The hints of a Dragon Dominated Metahuman society in the second age is there, that the IE's were supposed to be happy caretakers for the Dragons is also in those pages. The facts that the IE's along with others decided to throw that yoke off is also there. What it leaves in question is whether the horrors were called here by Dragons using Ritual Magic in an attempt to hold onto their power, which is something I have strongly suspected for a long time due to various tidbits in a number of ED books mostly. In fact one of the reasons to call a council of dragons is to cast ritual magic which they are very firmly against both in the ED time frame and in SR, hinting at a colossal fuck up, of course dragons don't make mistakes. Hestaby is the person trying to make sense of Vietnam a thousand years after it happened. The dragons don't talk about why they won't talk about this fuck up anywhere it is like it is a complete taboo, just like talking about the mating with elves is complete taboo. Hestaby want to pick those scabs open and admit that maybe the dragons were the ones who fucked up, which in Lofwyr and others minds is unthinkable.
Lionhearted
Were any named dragons killed in the last hunt? I mean who is Sirrurg getting back for?
Faelan
That I don't know. I have never seen a list of any actual confirmed kills. My guess is no Greats but plenty of mature adults.
Wakshaani
Yeah, none are ever named, but it's implied that there were quite a few.

Of particular note was that in the Earthdawn period, there was a Great for every ten lessers or so, while today, there's a Great for every hundred or so.

Which would imply it was mostly Greats that were nailed when helpless. Which, you know, would make more sense really.
Stahlseele
/me is looking forward to the german clutch because of new cover
Smirnov
QUOTE (Faelan @ Dec 15 2012, 08:14 PM) *
What it leaves in question is whether the horrors were called here by Dragons using Ritual Magic in an attempt to hold onto their power, which is something I have strongly suspected for a long time due to various tidbits in a number of ED books mostly.

Do tell more! Can you make a summary of these tidbits or point me to the books in question?

QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Dec 15 2012, 10:30 PM) *
Of particular note was that in the Earthdawn period, there was a Great for every ten lessers or so, while today, there's a Great for every hundred or so.

Or they can be still sleeping. Could they?
I mean, The Clutch of Dragons says there are several thousand dragons now active. If Greats went from one to ten to one to hundred ration, it means around two hundred Greats were killed in the downtime. That's a lot of killing to do...
SpellBinder
Or a lot of lessers hatched and are currently still alive rather than having been killed off by other means.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Dec 16 2012, 02:05 AM) *
Or a lot of lessers hatched and are currently still alive rather than having been killed off by other means.

Also a possiblity! I just figured that the 4th Age had more, simply due to being around longer and being more conductive to Draconic life, but, dragons might also have been planning ahead and egged it up like mad before the 5th age hit, to have extra bodies for the future.

Faelan
QUOTE (Smirnov @ Dec 16 2012, 12:40 AM) *
Do tell more! Can you make a summary of these tidbits or point me to the books in question?

I will look through my ED books when I have time. It may take a while, the references are strewn about, and I will try to avoid anything that comes across as IE propaganda. Most of the stuff I am thinking about is related by Vasdenjas in the ED Dragons book. Some of it is under the individual Great Dragon entries. Some of it is even in the myths of the setting.
Halinn
Don't forget that Earthdawn is set roughly in the middle of the 4th age (perhaps three quarters in). That leaves time for horrors to thin them out as well. And the 5th age was also pretty long, so 200 dead GDs would just be one every ~25 years.
Smirnov
QUOTE (Faelan @ Dec 16 2012, 06:14 PM) *
I will look through my ED books when I have time. It may take a while, the references are strewn about, and I will try to avoid anything that comes across as IE propaganda. Most of the stuff I am thinking about is related by Vasdenjas in the ED Dragons book. Some of it is under the individual Great Dragon entries. Some of it is even in the myths of the setting.

I've read ovet the other forums that dragons are, in fact, related to horrors. That's something entirely new to me. Can you enlighten me on the issue?
Halinn
QUOTE (Smirnov @ Dec 17 2012, 03:37 PM) *
I've read ovet the other forums that dragons are, in fact, related to horrors. That's something entirely new to me. Can you enlighten me on the issue?

IIRC, the first dragon, who made all the others, was a horror who didn't like all that horror stuff.
Smirnov
Hm.. Where can I read about it? Last time I checked Earthdown, dragon were separate from horrors and created elves. Not it seems to be different
Faelan
QUOTE (Smirnov @ Dec 17 2012, 09:37 AM) *

Based on a myth related in I believe "The Adept's Way". I am sure Dragons would love for everyone to believe they created metahumanity, that goes firmly under propaganda.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Halinn @ Dec 17 2012, 08:55 AM) *
IIRC, the first dragon, who made all the others, was a horror who didn't like all that horror stuff.
Hatfields & McCoys suddenly came to mind, along with the twangy tune of Dueling Banjos. spin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012