Full Version: Montreal 2074 is out!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
CanRay
You can buy it here!
Lionhearted
Oh Southpark, why are you what springs to mind when I hear Canada
Xahn Borealis
Why did I giggle when I saw you post this.
hermit
It indeed does. Is former Canada one state of the Union, or two, btw?
All4BigGuns
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 18 2012, 04:55 PM) *
Oh Southpark, why are you what springs to mind when I hear Canada

Blame Canada!
Garou
I liked the pricetag. I just wished it was a little meatier on the pagecount (21 pages?)

PDF products should be cheap, on my book, stuff you could buy on a whim. smile.gif I would buy them like CANDY. smile.gif
Wakshaani
QUOTE (hermit @ Dec 18 2012, 05:46 PM) *
It indeed does. Is former Canada one state of the Union, or two, btw?

That's a far more complex question than you might think, and it was talked about for Dirty Tricks quite a bit, for the UCAS section. I need to fire up my PDF and see what the final choice was, because I actually don't remember. Ack.
hermit
Asking because it sure USED to be more than one state, and the canadian remnants are pretty far apart. Of course, whether the snippets of Canada's midwest would be sustainable as a state (whether there's actual population), I am not sure.
Backgammon
As of this morning, it's #2 on DriveThru's Best Selling list! Thanks everyone!
Prime Mover
Just had chance to glance over it but so far a nice write up and good to have an update on former Seraphim.
lokii
QUOTE (hermit @ Dec 19 2012, 08:12 PM) *
Asking because it sure USED to be more than one state, and the canadian remnants are pretty far apart. Of course, whether the snippets of Canada's midwest would be sustainable as a state (whether there's actual population), I am not sure.
From the territory and the five maple leaves on the UCAS flag it should be Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Prince Edward Island. Saskatchewan would be another candidate. (My musings on this in German: http://www.shadowhelix.de/Diskussion:Unite...merican_States) If the actual territory left is amenable enough (climate-/infrastructure-wise) the non-Indian population driven from the lost portion of the states could be concentrated in the remaining parts. That would probably be enough to sustain as a state. Either way I never researched if this is plausible.

One more excellent opportunity for clarification squandered by the Sixth World Almanac, I might add. If Dirty Tricks shines light on this I would also be very interested to know.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (lokii @ Dec 24 2012, 05:16 PM) *
From the territory and the five maple leaves on the UCAS flag it should be Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Prince Edward Island. Saskatchewan would be another candidate. (My musings on this in German: http://www.shadowhelix.de/Diskussion:Unite...merican_States) If the actual territory left is amenable enough (climate-/infrastructure-wise) the non-Indian population driven from the lost portion of the states could be concentrated in the remaining parts. That would probably be enough to sustain as a state. Either way I never researched if this is plausible.

One more excellent opportunity for clarification squandered by the Sixth World Almanac, I might add. If Dirty Tricks shines light on this I would also be very interested to know.

There was actually quite a bit of back n forth about Dirty Tricks and "Which parts of Canada are there, anyway?!" Trying to figure out the proper five was a pain in the caboose.
pbangarth
The only part of Canada for which I can find direct reference in a political context is Ontario, in Conspiracy Theories, page 156: "Vice President Martin was the governor of Ontario... kept Ontario as the most livable and prosperous state in the UCAS [after the Crash.]"
CanRay
QUOTE (lokii @ Dec 24 2012, 07:16 PM) *
From the territory and the five maple leaves on the UCAS flag it should be Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Prince Edward Island. Saskatchewan would be another candidate.
Newfoundland would be a better candidate than Sakatchewan.
pbangarth
Yeah, there's only a tiny corner of Saskatchewan in the UCAS. Most of it is in the Algonkian-Manitou Council, with the northern bit in the Athabaskan Council.

As a side note, seeing what part of old Canada is in the Athabaskan Council, that country should be swimming in oil money.
hermit
IIRC, there's a company called Athabascan Oil in SoNA and NAN. So yes, they seem to be.
Mister Juan
I'm just curious... have the writers who worked on this PDF ever been to Montreal? I haven't read it, yet, so as I said, I'm just curious. It's just that usually, things concerning Quebec in SR seem to be written by people who either use source material from 1960, or Wikipedia.
Backgammon
I am the author and I've live in Montreal my whole life. That being said, keep in mind I have to keep some things consistent with established cannon.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Dec 30 2012, 06:02 PM) *
I am the author and I've live in Montreal my whole life. That being said, keep in mind I have to keep some things consistent with established cannon.

You just made me a happy guy!

Merci beaucoup!
Neko Asakami
I just got through reading it this afternoon and I only had one minor quibble. It would have been nice for the stats at the end book to include [suggested] language ratings (at least for French and English) since being Francophone is so very important in this city. I know it's not hard work for a GM to decide what language(s) a particular ganger can speak, but having the info there can go a long way toward reminding GMs who the players can and can't understand.
hermit
They all get the Bilingual quality and speak each at Native.
Backgammon
For a lot, that would indeed be the case.

There's no real clear cut way in regards to what group speaks what, aside for some exceptions (like the Freres Chasseurs, obviously)
lokii
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Dec 25 2012, 05:42 AM) *
There was actually quite a bit of back n forth about Dirty Tricks and "Which parts of Canada are there, anyway?!" Trying to figure out the proper five was a pain in the caboose.
Okay, what did you come up with?

QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 27 2012, 07:02 PM) *
Newfoundland would be a better candidate than Sakatchewan.
I always forget it, because according to NAGNA it is part of Maine. But I guess that could either be retconned or it could have become a state when the UCAS were formed. From SoNA and The Forever Drug Prince Edward Island also does not appear to be a UCAS state. So Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Newfoundland?
Nath
According to Dirty Tricks, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, and Saskatchewan.
lokii
Thanks a lot. So finally I could finish this overview map: http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/File:Overv...UCAS_states.png Newfoundland is part of Maine. I put PEI together with New Brunswick. I use NM (North Missouri), SM (Seattle Metroplex), NV (North Virgina) and violated the two letter postal abbreviation in the case of FDC (couldn't think of a better solution).
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Nath @ Jan 5 2013, 10:15 PM) *
According to Dirty Tricks, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, and Saskatchewan.

And of these, only New Brunswick and Nova Scotia would be intact... the rest lost significant territory to the Algonquin-Manitou Council... and oddly Newfoundland is part of Quebec? That part makes me shake my head and smile. Quebecois French in a Newfoundland accent scares me.
lokii
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jan 7 2013, 07:43 PM) *
And of these, only New Brunswick and Nova Scotia would be intact... the rest lost significant territory to the Algonquin-Manitou Council... and oddly Newfoundland is part of Quebec? That part makes me shake my head and smile. Quebecois French in a Newfoundland accent scares me.
No, Newfoundland is part of the UCAS. Actually part of Maine according to older sources, though the Sixth World Almanac indicates it belongs to Québec. I'm prepared to believe that is an oversight until they obviously retcon it. So I'd say you don't have to start calling it Terre-Neuve. If you follow the link in the post above yours, you can see I integrated Newfoundland in my UCAS states overview as part of Maine.
Nath
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jan 7 2013, 06:43 PM) *
QUOTE (lokii @ Jan 7 2013, 09:12 PM) *
No, Newfoundland is part of the UCAS. Actually part of Maine according to older sources, though the Sixth World Almanac indicates it belongs to Québec. I'm prepared to believe that is an oversight until they obviously retcon it. So I'd say you don't have to start calling it Terre-Neuve. If you follow the link in the post above yours, you can see I integrated Newfoundland in my UCAS states overview as part of Maine.
Dirty Tricks confirmed Newfoundland is part of Maine (and Prince Edward Island part of Nova Scotia). Though it also mentions both now have significant "independance" movements willing to break up and become states of their own again.
lokii
QUOTE (Nath @ Jan 7 2013, 11:54 PM) *
(and Prince Edward Island part of Nova Scotia)
Darn. Of course it is.
CanRay
Labrador is likely part of Quebec, and people get that and Newfoundland confused all the time. Despite one being on the mainland and the other being an island.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jan 7 2013, 12:43 PM) *

Yes, though the territory lost from Ontario carried little of the population, agriculture, industry or money. Significant recent finds of rare earths in northern Ontartio may change that a bit.

A lot of trees, though. I remember one drive through northern Ontario, on a major highway, in which there was a stretch of 200 kilometers between towns. Part way through, I lost cell phone contact, then AM radio, then FM radio. And saw three other vehicle the whole time. All the while pulling a trailer that weighed twice as much as my little car's manual said I should be pulling. I listened very carefully to the engine.

CanRay
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 7 2013, 10:10 PM) *
A lot of trees, though. I remember one drive through northern Ontario, on a major highway, in which there was a stretch of 200 kilometers between towns. Part way through, I lost cell phone contact, then AM radio, then FM radio. And saw three other vehicle the whole time. All the while pulling a trailer that weighed twice as much as my little car's manual said I should be pulling. I listened very carefully to the engine.
Try living there.
Grinder
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 8 2013, 03:10 AM) *

Hey, it's the same in Norway.
hermit
Hey, it's the same in Norway.

Not quite, America's a lot emptier (been to both, so I can compare). While lonelier than Germany or the Netherlands, Norway still has what feels like coherent settlements. America, aside from NY state and a few patches of East Coast, has not. I never was at the West Coast, I only know the East between New Brunswick and Florida and the Midwest from Missouri up to Idaho and Ontario, so there may be denser stretches of land in Orange County or something.
Grinder
Did you make the trip up to the fart north of Norway? There are not many settlements, but long stretches of empty road and no cell phone coverage etc.
hermit
Tromsö (to see the northern light). Doesn't get much more northwards. I'll admit I took the Hurtigruten up from Bergen though, so I cannot vouch for the northern countryside. There wasn't much around Tromsö, I'll admit. Bad reception might be due to the terrain, of course; it's mountainous after all, not flat as much of the Midwest. I never had the same radio station for more than a few dozen minutes, and often no reception at all.
Makoto
Canada is an interesting place, one large country to the north of the US shares a good deal of cultural similarities, but it is entirely distinct from the US. The future Canadian states (UCAS) should be allied with the future American states, in case there is a NAU or North American Union to unite the two entities. Someday, we're using metric units instead of the older Imperial units in measurement (LOL) like most of the world.
hermit
What.
Lionhearted
Turns out that Canada got 5 times lower population density then Norway. But yeah the far north is getting emptier every year, the young people are drawn into the big cities by education, work opportunities and getting away from the isolation... Bloody lots of trees everywhere here to, makes travelling cross the country very boring. That goes for all of Scandinavia... In Finland you're bound to run into a lot of lakes although.
As a side note, Germany makes me nervous... It's to goddamn flat!
hermit
Heh. It gets more mountainous the more you go southwards, but it hasn't got much in the terms of actual mountains.
Halinn
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jan 8 2013, 05:42 PM) *

The highest point in Denmark is 171 meters above sea level. There are mountains in Germany.
Lionhearted
That statement makes little sense to me, like the dutch most danes should be drowning, therefore there's mountains in Germany?
Halinn
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jan 8 2013, 06:01 PM) *
That statement makes little sense to me, like the dutch most danes should be drowning, therefore there's mountains in Germany?

It's not a correlation statement, but a comparative one. Germany is far from flat compared to Denmark.

Also, the tallest point in the European part of the Netherlands is 322 meters above sea level. That's hardly at all flat!
Lionhearted
Well it depends on what you compare with, for me... They're both to flat.
lokii
Don't know whether this is a controversial question but how is Montreal ranking in the inner-Canadian comparison for living desirability?
Backgammon
QUOTE (lokii @ Jan 8 2013, 12:45 PM) *
Don't know whether this is a controversial question but how is Montreal ranking in the inner-Canadian comparison for living desirability?

Today or in Shadowrun?

Today, well Toronto and Vancouver have better economies, but Montreal has a better nightlife than Toronto (Vancouver is nice and west-coasty, probably a better lifestyle there). Housing is more affordable, too. However, Quebec's economy is crumbling, so you get to sigh a lot about social problems.

So, well, it's in the top 3 overall I'd say. Don't get me wrong, the maritime provinces are lovely places to live, and in the plains you got a nice oil boom, but those places are smaller than Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal

In Shadowrun: You wouldn't want to live there. Unless you're really rich.
CanRay
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jan 8 2013, 12:42 PM) *
Winnipeg (And Manitoba) has the same effect on me.

But I moved here anyhow.
Lionhearted
Uhm, should it be worrisome that your capitol isn't on that list?

(Oh, look it's a foreigner that doesn't think Toronto is the capitol of Canada)
Halinn
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Jan 8 2013, 09:39 PM) *
In Shadowrun: You wouldn't want to live there. Unless you're really rich.

Doesn't that apply to everywhere in Shadowrun?
CanRay
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jan 8 2013, 05:06 PM) *
Uhm, should it be worrisome that your capitol isn't on that list?

(Oh, look it's a foreigner that doesn't think Toronto is the capitol of Canada)
Not really. Ottawa-Hull is a pretty small place as capitols go. One infamous Canadian once referred to it as his "favorite rural place in Canada" as a joke.

With the creation of the UCAS, and the capitol being Washington, DC, about the only major thing I can think of that Ottawa would have going for it would be the (No-Longer-)Royal Mint, which makes some of the purest mass-produced gold bullion in the world. It'd just be another city in Ontario otherwise. Toronto would be vastly more important.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012