Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on Building a Wendigo?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Umidori
So I've wanted to play an Infected for a long time, but for various reasons have never gotten around to it. But now I think I've finally settled on going with a Wendigo and doing my best to make the best use of the powers that come with it, and could use some thoughts on optimization and general troubleshooting.

First off, magic.

Wendigo get the Magician Quality for free, or the Mystic Adept quality if they're already Adepts. I figure it's best to go with the Mystic Adept, because as an Essence Draining infected, it gives me a lot of power and flexibility when feeding. I can use drained essence to temporarily boost my magic and attributes, and that extra magic can either go into boosting my spellcasting or to my adept powers. Awesome.

However, I'm not sure how to handle things like my powers (both adept and "critter"). They're based off of my Magic attribute, but as a Mystic Adept, how do you calculate that? Is it my total number of magic points, the sum of both "Magician" points and "Adept" points? Or do I perhaps only count my "Adept" points toward adept powers, and exclude the spellcasting points? But then what about the critter powers, which are clearly designed to work off of "magician" points, as non-adept Wendigo clearly demonstrate?

Next is Metamagic.

So you can't initiate at chargen, so that's right out. But what about the bonuses from various Adept Ways? In particular I'm keen on the Invisible Way, with which I would "receive a +1 to Initiate grade for purposes of the Masking and Flexible Signature techniques." How is this meant to be read? If you are at initiate grade 0, does the +1 to the grade still apply? And does the bonus itself allow you to use the technique without having to choose it as a learned metamagic?

A few other matters.

Can Wendigo shave, or does even their fur Regenerate?
Can they handle ferrous metals while wearing gloves?
Can the Disguise skill be used to conceal a Wendigo's infected nature, via obscuring clothing, masks, etc?
For that matter do they need specially sized or adapted clothing, armor, and gear?

Perhaps more importantly, can they use clothing to protect themselves from their sunlight allergy? How about spells? If I cast Improved Invisibility on myself, does that protect against sunlight since it "creates an actual warping of light around the subject"? How about the Physical Mask spell? How about Shadow? What about Visibility modifiers like smoke, rain, and mist, or for that matter, the Mist spell? And if I Shapechange into some variety of critter, do I still suffer my allergies, and can I still use my innate and adept powers?

I think my final area of interest is in Blood Magic, specifically the Cannibalize and Power Bleed adept powers, as they fit the Wendigo lore perfectly, but they are part of the Twisted Paths of magic and very much not intended for PCs. I plan on just setting this interest aside for later consideration, but would be interested to hear any stories or advice from those who have actually used Blood Magic in their own characters or campaigns previously.

~Umi
NiL_FisK_Urd
1. For Critter Powers, it is definitely your total Magic score. For max. Adept power ratings, you also use your total score. Max. Force for Spellcasting is tricky/debated, i would also let the full magic attribute count, others use only the spellcasting part of it.
2. If you do not have a gun, your +1 to shooting things does nothing. Same with metamagics. Try to persuade your GM to use karmagen and letting you initiate.
3. I would go with Regeneration
4. I think so, but as a GM, i would let the player roll an agility test every time he tries this. On a fail/glitch, he touches it with bare skin.
5. I would let them try, but with a high threshold. Being a 2.5m high white furry humanoid is not that easy to conceal.
6. What about "Alleviate Allergy"? SM, p. 169
7. If you shapechange, you still get all your Qualities and powers, unless it specifically says otherwise.
Tias
I strongly suspect that you can't get a "freebie" metamagic without actually initiating - otherwise, this would be a huge loop-hole balance-wise.

Take the Way, get stuck in, fuck people up, get karma. Initiate. Then "? = Profit!"
Halinn
Yeah, no free metamagic. It's not 0 + 1, it's undefined/null/empty set + 1

On the magic split thing, NiL_FisK_Urd has it right. Critter powers use total, maximum adept power rating use total, adept powers that roll magic+something use partial, max Force uses total (FAQ disagrees, but that is because it is a ruling from SR4 days, but SR4A changed how the mystic adept split works), and the spellcasting roll uses partial.
Manunancy
I assume you have already taken that step, but just in case : No matter how you build it, make sure the GM and the other players are fine with the notion - they rank even lower than ghouls as far as repute go and from what I've read they're even more limited in their diet, making it more difficult to hide what they are. Being an infected is already frowned upon, but the wendigos are probably very close, if not at the top, of the 'shoot on sight as soon as identified' list amongst the infected.

Just rechecked - as they're omnivorous it might make things easiter as in a pinch the can eat like regular metahumans. The catch is that it seems they have very hard time doing that. Making their culinary habits even more questionable as they engage in it by choice (oh well, I'd say more addiction than choice, but basically they have no bioogical imperative to do it, unlike the ghouls - it's not 'eat peoples or die').
Umidori
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 11 2013, 03:01 AM) *
5. I would let them try, but with a high threshold. Being a 2.5m high white furry humanoid is not that easy to conceal.
Well, I imagine I'd disguise as a troll, to compensate for the height and size, and with the proper clothing fur isn't too hard to cover up. I admit I couldn't attend a fancy dinner party in a tux, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to think I could at least could walk around many streets in a big trenchcoat, gloves, boots, and a headcovering and facemask of somekind, with no one the wiser. (Unless they peep me astrally, which is why I want the Metamagics to look mundane.)

The idea is to have a non-magical way to be able to travel in low security areas without getting shot and without standing out astrally. At least until I can get Extended Masking to conceal sustained spells like Physical Mask.

Also, Disguise doesn't actually have a threshold, rather it's a straight success test in which the number of hits sets the perception test threshold for others to see through the disguise. The GM of course has the power to dictate if your disguise attempt is actually possible, or what materials you need to pull it off, but that's more to prevent stuff like a troll trying to disguise as a dwarf using a shoestring and a brown paper bag.

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 11 2013, 03:01 AM) *
Alleviate Allergy is nice, but it's one more spell to sustain. It's great for things where contact with the allergen is just plain unavoidable and you just don't want to suffer the ill effects, but I'm looking for ways to keep things from getting that far along, or ways to avoid stupid situations like being Invisible because I'm magically bending light around myself, but still the sunlight affects me.

QUOTE (Manunancy @ Jan 11 2013, 04:54 AM) *
Wendigos are probably very close, if not at the top, of the 'shoot on sight as soon as identified' list amongst the infected.

Exactly why I want as many options for concealing my nature as possible. Redundancy, one might say.

QUOTE (Manunancy @ Jan 11 2013, 04:54 AM) *
Just rechecked - as they're omnivorous it might make things easier as in a pinch the can eat like regular metahumans. The catch is that it seems they have very hard time doing that. Making their culinary habits even more questionable as they engage in it by choice (oh well, I'd say more addiction than choice, but basically they have no bioogical imperative to do it, unlike the ghouls - it's not 'eat peoples or die').

Technically wendigo still have a dietary requirement for metahuman flesh, just like ghouls. And then they also have Essence Loss, like vampires, but unlike vamps can't get away with just drinking blood. They're pretty much the hardest Infected to feed, short of Bandersnatchii. (Because seriously, where the fuzz are you going to find regular supplies of Sasquatch flesh outside of the few remote sasquatch population centers?)

That said, thank goodness for Renfield.

Good stuff so far, my thanks. Although I am still curious about spell effects that might coincidentally block out sunlight. nyahnyah.gif

~Umi
NiL_FisK_Urd
QUOTE (Halinn @ Jan 11 2013, 12:24 PM) *
adept powers that roll magic+something use partial

IIRC these use total as well
Halinn
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 11 2013, 01:29 PM) *
IIRC these use total as well

It seems that you're right. It's a fairly minor point, though, since very few adept powers use the magic attribute for any rolls.
Neraph
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 11 2013, 04:01 AM) *
1. For Critter Powers, it is definitely your total Magic score. For max. Adept power ratings, you also use your total score. Max. Force for Spellcasting is tricky/debated, i would also let the full magic attribute count, others use only the spellcasting part of it.
2. If you do not have a gun, your +1 to shooting things does nothing. Same with metamagics. Try to persuade your GM to use karmagen and letting you initiate.
3. I would go with Regeneration
4. I think so, but as a GM, i would let the player roll an agility test every time he tries this. On a fail/glitch, he touches it with bare skin.
7. If you shapechange, you still get all your Qualities and powers, unless it specifically says otherwise.

I agree on nearly every point.

1. For spellcasting I use the partial, but max determines Overcasting. It's just a little fewer dice for the Spellcasting Test is all.
3. Fur does not regenerate because A) it is not living tissue, and B) shaving does not cause damage (on purpose - your nicks would regen, but not the hair).
4. I would not allow it unless the gloves gave dice to Chemical Resistance or something. I'd only do this for ease of gameplay.
5. With a Evo HEL suit and a respirator it's pretty easy to conceal who/what you are. You'd probably be able to disguise yourself as a troll pretty easily, being (nearly) the same height as them.

As a final note, remember that Special Infected ("SI" - those with Essence Drain) are able to re-write their Adept abilities and their Power/Magic split as MysAds. For example, you have a SI with Mystic Armor 4 and two points in Spellcasting. He Essence Drains his Magic to a 7, gaining 3 points, which he puts 2 points in Combat Sense and 1 more in Spellcasting. When his magic goes back down, it triggers the losing Magic function of the rules (since there's no clause that states you lose the same Magic points you boosted, like there is in the Adept metamagic [...Infusion? I don't want to crack open my book for it]) stating that you lose Magic and therefore the Adept chooses what he loses. In the above case, the Adept chooses to lose three points of his Magic, leaving him at Mystic Armor 4, Combat Sense 2, and no Spellcasting. Alternatively, he could have lost all of his Mystic Armor and two points of Combat Sense, leaving him at Combat Sense 2 and Spellcasting 3.

EDIT: Also, you may be able to get a Power Pact and pick up Aura Masking. Talk to your GM about whether or not the access to the Power would last more than 24 hours.
Neraph
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jan 11 2013, 06:07 AM) *
Technically wendigo still have a dietary requirement for metahuman flesh, just like ghouls. And then they also have Essence Loss, like vampires, but unlike vamps can't get away with just drinking blood. They're pretty much the hardest Infected to feed, short of Bandersnatchii. (Because seriously, where the fuzz are you going to find regular supplies of Sasquatch flesh outside of the few remote sasquatch population centers?)

That said, thank goodness for Renfield.

Something bears clarification: Dietary Requirement and Essence Loss are NOT the same thing! Dietary Requirement states "you must eat X in order to live," whereas the text in Essence Drain that has you confused is "often involves a token exchange of bodily fluids like blood." Vampires are not required to drink blood to stave off Essence Loss - that's something that happens automatically every month. Dietary Requirement can be met with Nutrition, where the issue of Essence Drain is a separate and different issue to cover. Also, no actual biting/blood sucking/flesh eating has to be done in order to drain Essence - physical contact is the only thing that must be maintained.

Renfield is a dirty little thing. You can get a 1/6 hobo contact, then get them addicted to Renfield. You can now spend your Essence to make doses and use your very own Hobo Essence Battery to drain as much Essence as you need to fuel your +6 Magic every 12 hours. The best part is that the hobo never dies.
Stingray
..if you are trying to pose as troll,ask GM for allowing the SURGE..if so, adding Horns would help it.. devil.gif
Lionhearted
Disguising the apparently outlandish, isn't that what critter form (I think you can have metatypes as your chosen form) and Physical mask is for?
Umidori
QUOTE (Stingray @ Jan 11 2013, 08:41 AM) *
..if you are trying to pose as troll,ask GM for allowing the SURGE..if so, adding Horns would help it.. devil.gif
An excellent idea, but I have no clue where I'd find the BP for it. frown.gif

QUOTE (Neraph @ Jan 11 2013, 08:01 AM) *
Something bears clarification: Dietary Requirement and Essence Loss are NOT the same thing!
Wasn't meaning to suggest they were. Guess I wasn't terribly clear in how I worded it. All I meant was that for Vamps and Wendigo both having Essence Loss, the Vamps have the easier Dietary Requirement of only needing blood, rather than flesh. Hence why Wendigo are so hard to "feed", both literally and figuratively.

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jan 11 2013, 11:34 AM) *
Disguising the apparently outlandish, isn't that what critter form (I think you can have metatypes as your chosen form) and Physical mask is for?
I did address this above, but having the ability to conceal my infected nature via mundane methods does offer a bit more flexibility, and at the very least redundancy. nyahnyah.gif

~Umi
Lionhearted
Disguise as a sasquatch smile.gif
Neraph

Yes you can get metatypes from Critter Form, but for some reason it's a hot-button issue on these forums.

QUOTE (Umidori @ Jan 11 2013, 11:54 AM) *
Wasn't meaning to suggest they were. Guess I wasn't terribly clear in how I worded it. All I meant was that for Vamps and Wendigo both having Essence Loss, the Vamps have the easier Dietary Requirement of only needing blood, rather than flesh. Hence why Wendigo are so hard to "feed", both literally and figuratively.

Ok. I've had to deal with people who can't get the difference before. And again, Nutrition.
Umidori
I dunno. I think I'd get less attention dressed up as a "troll" in a kimono with a burlap sack over his head than I would as a sasquatch.

Also, the only thing worse than not being able to speak is having to pretend to not be able to speak.

~Umi
Neraph
Trodes + commlink + speaker = cyber-voice.
Umidori
I'm also pretty sure that sasquatches don't have claws and, quote, "dagger-like fangs". nyahnyah.gif

~Umi
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jan 11 2013, 07:20 PM) *
I'm also pretty sure that sasquatches don't have claws and, quote, "dagger-like fangs". nyahnyah.gif

~Umi

That's why you're disguising! fake teeth and... uh I'll get back to you on the claws.
I thought sasquatches could imitate any sound they want, and they're sapient, so they could learn to speak... no?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
That's why you're disguising! fake teeth and... uh I'll get back to you on the claws.
I thought sasquatches could imitate any sound they want, and they're sapient, so they could learn to speak... no?

Being able to mimic sounds does not equate to actual Speach. smile.gif
Manunancy
An extra problem is that being able to hide what you are from the bystanders or the odd cop car will probably not cut the mustard with your teammates - and there's a high chance that once they figure out you're a wendigo they kick you out (possibly with extreme prejudice) - because the well know habits of wendigos to build cannibal cults for support means they're bound to earn a repute for being cannibals if you ver get figured out (or at least to be strongly suspected of being). Which is the sort of repute that can quickly lead to troubles and will drive the job offers you get toward the 'unsavory' end of the spectrum.
Stingray
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jan 11 2013, 07:54 PM) *
An excellent idea, but I have no clue where I'd find the BP for it. frown.gif

I did address this above, but having the ability to conceal my infected nature via mundane methods does offer a bit more flexibility, and at the very least redundancy. nyahnyah.gif

~Umi

Horns is from Runner's Companion and is positive metagenetic quality (5 BP) ,but wendigo is classified as critter so it is is up to GM allowing it or not ..
Neraph
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jan 11 2013, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 11 2013, 01:07 PM) *
Being able to mimic sounds does not equate to actual Speach. smile.gif

Yeah, there's Plot Magic at work that disallows sasquaches to understand spoken word but allows them to comprehend sign language, despite the two being nearly identical. They'll understand a certain hand motion to understand chair, but this species who's main claim to fame is the ability to perfectly replicate any sound it ever hears can't understand the word "chair."

It's Plot Magic. And unbased in reality ("Whether signed or spoken language is investigated, the location of brain damage seems to have remarkably similar (and specific) effects." - that is, the same part of the brain that tracks spoken language tracks sign language also).

QUOTE (Stingray @ Jan 11 2013, 01:51 PM) *
Horns is from Runner's Companion and is positive metagenetic quality (5 BP) ,but wendigo is classified as critter so it is is up to GM allowing it or not ..

He wasn't saying he couldn't find it, he was saying that he'd have difficulty affording it because the rest of his build is so BP-intensive.
Stingray
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jan 11 2013, 10:26 PM) *
Yeah, there's Plot Magic at work that disallows sasquaches to understand spoken word but allows them to comprehend sign language, despite the two being nearly identical. They'll understand a certain hand motion to understand chair, but this species who's main claim to fame is the ability to perfectly replicate any sound it ever hears can't understand the word "chair."

It's Plot Magic. And unbased in reality ("Whether signed or spoken language is investigated, the location of brain damage seems to have remarkably similar (and specific) effects." - that is, the same part of the brain that tracks spoken language tracks sign language also).

He wasn't saying he couldn't find it, he was saying that he'd have difficulty affording it because the rest of his build is so BP-intensive.

ok..does Critters have same thing as Metavariants?.. (free use of metagenetic Qualities /wo taking the Surge Quality (inside 35 BP limit)
if so,maxing the negative qualities usually helps..
Umidori
Technically you don't count as a Critter, you're an Ork with the Infected: Wendigo positive quality.

~Umi
Umidori
Oh hey, just noticed something. The Wendigo innate power listing in RC says you get Vision Magnification [1]. But Vision Magnification doesn't have ratings. Do you think they meant Vision Enhancement [1]?

~Umi
Neraph
I... I don't know. SR4A says they have Enhanced Senses (Visual Acuity). That doesn't help.
Falconer
Because metatypes are para-critters... their expression requires magic. It's a fundamental limitation of the spell in the spell description Neraph... it's not that hard. Unless you intentionally misread & twist rules like you always do. The spell description specifically forbids paracritters.

An orc is not a basic human... a basic human is a critter that the critterform or shapechange spell can mimic. An orc is not, it's that simple.

Halinn: the current FAQ is NOT errata... there was some errata in the works when it was written which did NOT make into the game though. In other parts adept powers it just gets some parts outright wrong. The core rulebook itself states to use max magic for some things like adept powers... other things like max force can be read either way. I'm not going to argue it here... but it can be read either way and the FAQ does clarify that with yet another repitition of the companies official position that max force is subject to the partial magic split... but the RAW can be read either way and a lot of people do.
Neraph
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jan 12 2013, 02:12 AM) *
Because metatypes are para-critters... their expression requires magic. It's a fundamental limitation of the spell in the spell description Neraph... it's not that hard. Unless you intentionally misread & twist rules like you always do. The spell description specifically forbids paracritters.

An orc is not a basic human... a basic human is a critter that the critterform or shapechange spell can mimic. An orc is not, it's that simple.

Halinn: the current FAQ is NOT errata... there was some errata in the works when it was written which did NOT make into the game though. In other parts adept powers it just gets some parts outright wrong. The core rulebook itself states to use max magic for some things like adept powers... other things like max force can be read either way. I'm not going to argue it here... but it can be read either way and the FAQ does clarify that with yet another repitition of the companies official position that max force is subject to the partial magic split... but the RAW can be read either way and a lot of people do.

You really want to start that argument again? Go thread-o-mancy some other thread where I explicitly prove you wrong - I'm too tired of repeating myself to you.
Starmage21
For fitting in, you sure did pick a hard one. That said, if your group is OK with it you should be fine. I say SHOULD because unless you tend to violate the "dont shit where you eat" policy, the GM is going to resort to serious contrivances to pull the "You've been found-out!" card on your lifestyle. Essence draining requirement lends itself really well to the street style games especially, since part and parcel of your combat experience will be gangers on whom feeding will only provide a feeling of vindication, rather than the typical "ZOMG YOU ARE EATING SOULS" that everyone here seems to think should be every shadowrunner's reaction to seeing one of the infected.

Make heavy use of Alleviate Allergy and a F2 sustaining focus if youre working in the daytime.

Over time, unless youre really abusing that essence drain and attribute boost, youre going to feel really behind a starting metahuman shadowrunner. Accept it and specialize in the use of your critter powers and magical abilities, or get used to feeding A LOT which takes time.

Pepsi Jedi
I've personally been kicking around the idea of a Wendigo character too, but taking a long look at it, I ended up going with a Night One instead. (( Not that they're analogs or anything)).

The wendigo look fun but some of the stuff about them really makes you wonder. I like the look and I don't mind the infected part, it's that cannibalistic urge and the "Overly ritualistic" nature of the cannibalism that stumped me.

"I was a normal Orc and I got sick, grew fur and fangs and I have to eat metahuman corpses to survive" is a bit different from "I dance around naked with other infected and perform rites on people we slaughter to eat then bathe in their blood".

One is a REALLY sucky thing, but you can... work around it (( with them being omnivores and the rather low amount of corpsemeat you gotta eat.. hard but not impossible)) The other... You're sneaking off to meet with other cannibalistic giant furry orcs to have people eatin' rituals.
Umidori
The thing is, actual Wendigo mythology is pretty heavily steeped in the ritual stuff. They're pretty much the physical embodiment of all-consuming hunger and the tabboo of eatting one's own species.

They represent the idea of cannibalism itself - appearing in times of famine to those who are isolated in remote wilderness, symbolically enthralling otherwise good and honorable people, using shadows and illusions to get inside their heads, forcing them to betray their loved ones, to kill and eat those they care most about, and in doing so to become monsters, husks of their former selves, technically alive but soulless and monstrous, no longer human. They're a walking tabboo, a monstrous morality play, a warning of the insidious dangers of hunger and how you must be strong and fight off the evil thought of eatting your own dead, lest you actually partake and thus destroy yourself and all you love.

That said, there's nothing stopping you from playing an exceptional or unusual Wendigo. While all of the Infected must deal with dark and primal urges, some of them are better able to control their cravings and needs than others. For those with enough willpower and intellect, there's actually a very real possibility of being relatively unchanged, mentally. You'd still have to feed on human flesh, and you'd still have the capacity to control and influence people via your Infected Powers, but there's no absolute need to start a wendigo cult and enthrall humans to serve you.

It's a lot like vampires. Sure, you could subjugate the weak and create vampiric thralls to secretly perform your nefarious biddings, but you could always just buy blood packs from hospitals and the like instead. The primary difficulty for Special Infected is in maintaining their Essence, but even that can be managed without significant harm if you really want to. Renfield may allow some infected to take advantage of the weak willed and desperate to quietly feed without leaving corpses behind, but there's nothing stopping the infected from developing consensual relationships with non-infected, co-existing symbiotically and without having to be monstrous about it.

Heck, I personally have been kicking around the idea of playing a Dwarven corporate businessman who gets turned into a Goblin, but who thinks of it as being no different than living with any other chronic disease, and who publically is a spokesperson for the advancement of Infected rights. He'd secretly be running the shadows on the side to help fund his efforts, as well as help his cause in other less tangible ways.

Of course, for the Wendigo, I still wanna go full hog. There's something wonderfully creepy and atmospheric about a black hearted hunter of humans. Surviving as a Wendigo would require a lot of care, a lot of string pulling, and a certain capacity to walk the razor's edge between human cunning and animal savagery.

~Umi
Pepsi Jedi
Pardon me, but I might have missed it. I've seen "Renfield" mentioned a few times. What is it, and did I miss it in a book? I know the 'reference' to the character from Dracula, but I'm not sure about the Shadowrun connotations.
Umidori
It's a magical "drug" that can be made by the vampiric Special Infected. It's in Running Wild for some reason, so it's easy to miss.

QUOTE ("RW @ p. 68")
“RENFIELD”

Duration: 7 days

Effect: Agility +1, Intuition +1, Strength +1, Euphoria, Immunity (Age), +1 Initiative Pass

“Renfield” is an alchemical compound made from the blood of someone Infected with HMHVV I, and it is used by these creatures to create vampiric pawns. The creator draws some of his own blood and performs certain enchantments on it; this costs him a point of his own Essence. He then injects this drug into his chosen pawn (who may or may not be a willing volunteer).

Once the pawn has become addicted to the drug, he gains the Carrier (HMHVV I) Quality (p. 66) and the Dietary Requirement (“Renfield”) and Essence Loss weaknesses. Once transformed, the pawn is dependent upon the drug for his own Essence. Each dose gives him 1D6 points of Essence. “Renfield’ has a threshold of 3 for the Addiction Test, and it is both mentally and physically addictive.

In my other thread a while back, one of the writers responsible for statting it out talks about how for a variety of reasons it's rather broken and badly written up at the moment. It's still useable, as I've personally found out, but it takes a little bit of care and consideration to get it workable in a way that won't cause arguments for players or GMs.

~Umi
Pepsi Jedi
Ahh thank you for the reply. Yep. That's probably why I missed it. I have Running Wild. I loved the old Paranormal Animals of NA. It's actually the book that got me side hooked into SR. Now.. *Motions to the 100s of Shadowrun books* Running Wild was a bit of a let down. I missed all the Shadowtalk stories from the ol P.A.N.A.

I'll be sure to pick it up and give it another glance.

I'm not sure how it'd really relate to Wendigo though.

Well.... I think I know.. but that gets freaky.. if you create the pawns through a "Wendigo-Renfield" Sort of deal.... do they actively hack off body parts for you? "Ohh the master is hungry.. the master is 10 feet tall.... takes alot to fill him up... someone get me a belt for a tourniquet and a chain saw!!! Master needs a leg!!" I mean... lol wha?? I went to college for psychology and minored in abnormal behavior. I know there are conditions where people want to excise their own limbs and stuff, but those are -------rare------- and... you'd think that... well. Your Renfield wouldn't last very long. There's only so many parts they CAN give up to feed ya, before...... lol

The imagry of that is almost worse. I mean the "Agreement with the infected societies to 'receive' the bodies of those that willingly donate to said society's is pretty bad. It skips the 'ritualistic' nature but.. you can almost understand it. I think it's in Runners Companion where it says some people actually DO volunteer their bodies for such ... 'service'?

Havin' a buncha flunkies cutting parts off of each other for your meals seems worse. lol
Lionhearted
Common misconception "feeding" on essence doesn't actually require you to physically feed... You just nom on their soul.
Renfield pals are for your soul munchies, which you require to live... No limb chopping.
That chopped up guy in the fridge? That's dinner, which also need to live..
Umidori
Renfield only helps the Essence problem. The Metahuman Flesh is a whole different beast.

Either buy corpses, or make your own. Your Renfields can do this for you as well. You enthrall them, then send them out to abduct the homeless or cut deals with back-alley clinics. Since they aren't giant, white-furred monsters, they'll have an easier time.

~Umi
Pepsi Jedi
Ahhhh ok. see I was envisioning it the other way. lol That their being your flunkies meant that they willingly gave up 'parts'. I get what you're saying now.

So does one NOT get essence from the... lets call them... "Suppliers of alternate dining styles"? I.E. if you're (( trying)) to be a good (Well mostly) Wendigo, and you have a contract with one of these Infected Society places to supply you with legally willingly donated corpses to nom upon, do you get essence from them, or do you still need to go out and get your "Soul munchies".
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
You still need to go out and get your soul munchies. They are completely different mechanics. smile.gif
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 6 2013, 07:30 PM) *
You still need to go out and get your soul munchies. They are completely different mechanics. smile.gif

Well that frakin' sucks. Not bad enough you gotta nosh on other people (( and have you seen what people EAT in shadowrun... Soy... FROGs and CRICKETS for protean? Ugg.. )) You gotta think the meat doesn't taste good with all the chemicals and what not, but you gotta get your soul munchies too? Poor Wendigo.
Umidori
Yeah, they've got the harshest requirements of all the Infected. Have to drain Essence (which Renfield allows you to do without killing, thankfully) and they need to eat flesh, which requires either killing or scavenging.

~Umi
Lantzer
Personally I'd get the Borrowed Time flaw for the character. When you are playing a cannibalistic monster who leaks essence, someone is eventually going to whack you for the bounty or just because. May as well get points for it.

If you are trying to get around the signature traits of a wendigo so that they don't impact your play, I'd suggest not playing a wendigo because you don't really want to play a wendigo.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Lantzer @ Feb 6 2013, 08:29 PM) *
Personally I'd get the Borrowed Time flaw for the character. When you are playing a cannibalistic monster who leaks essence, someone is eventually going to whack you for the bounty or just because. May as well get points for it.

If you are trying to get around the signature traits of a wendigo so that they don't impact your play, I'd suggest not playing a wendigo because you don't really want to play a wendigo.

For me, that was the thing. I do NOT want to get around traits. I feel like it's cheating to try and get around such things. Using a helping company to get your 'exotic' foodstuffs.. that's one thing but yeah the rest of it was a bit big of a deal and didn't fit my character type so I made something else. smile.gif

I totally agree with your post though, if you want to play an exotic concept, play the thing, don't take away lots of the defining traits.
Umidori
Borrowed Time? Seriously? Isn't that a little... drastic?

I mean, why shouldn't a Wendigo be able to successfully remain undiscovered for their entire career? You'd have to be smart and careful about it, sure, but it's not impossible. Using Renfield to supply yourself with Essence and buying cadavers from shady medical suppliers doesn't mean you're trying to get around the challenges of being a Wendigo, it means you're being smart and trying not to get yourself killed. It's weird to me that people will often applaud you if you play black trenchcoat as a normal metahuman, but will often rebuke you for doing the exact same thing with an Infected character.

And as for playing an exotic concept, what's wrong with breaking stereotypes? If one player wants to play a traditional Dracula style vampire, and another one wants to play a neon-mohawked neo-anarchist combat-biker hipster-punk vampire pirate trideo celebrity wannabe, I'd personally be happy to accomodate both. I wouldn't let either of them just ignore their Dietary Requirements or Essence Drain, but I'd allow each of them to go about handling those problems in whatever way they see fit. Vlad Dracula might choose to flit stealthily through the shadows, hunting down and preying on the blood and essence of helpless virgins, then shapechanging into a bat and flying off into the gloom, while Nicky "Novacoke" Diamond just throws insane afterparties and gets his various needs met by his legions of groupies. Both characters are equally valid.

Exotic concepts aren't sacred and immutable. They're just exotic. Breaking the conventions about vampires and ghouls and the like can be just as rewarding as playing them straight. I admit, the reason these concepts remain popular and stay with us is that they speak to us about certain deep, universal human fears and failings, and exploring those themes can be a very strong foundation for a character or a roleplay. But at the same time, subverting them can be just as interesting and just as worth exploring. I mean, what if someone showed you a Wendigo who, instead of being just a mindless monster, was actually more like Beast from the X-Men? Or a New-Age Banshee hippy, who was a cheerful celebrator of life rather than a wailing lamenter of death? There's room enough for all kinds of Infected - not just the traditional storybook variety.

~Umi
Skarablood
I think this hasn't been mentioned yet, so: it's also possible for players to cover their dietary requirements through lifestyle.

Runner's Companion, p. 78:
"OPTIONAL RULE: INFECTED LIFESTYLE
Players and gamemasters can save some bookkeeping by making a character ’s dietary requirement part of his Lifestyle. The Infected char-acter’s Lifestyle costs are increased by 30 percent, and the character is assumed to receive sufficient metahuman blood or flesh to satisfy his dietary requirement—note that this does not cover Essence Loss. If using the Advanced Lifestyle Rules in this
book (pp. 149–165), the Necessities category must be at least at Middle."
Umidori
Yeah, the idea there being that you're buying the flesh from somewhere: a cyberware chop-shop, a morgue, Tamanous if you're a really sick or desperate, et cetera.

It's a great option for anyone who wants to play an Infected character who isn't just a rampaging murder machine. Not everyone who ends up a ghoul loses their humanity or morals, ya know. wink.gif

~Umi
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Umidori @ Feb 6 2013, 10:47 PM) *
Borrowed Time? Seriously? Isn't that a little... drastic?

I mean, why shouldn't a Wendigo be able to successfully remain undiscovered for their entire career? You'd have to be smart and careful about it, sure, but it's not impossible. Using Renfield to supply yourself with Essence and buying cadavers from shady medical suppliers doesn't mean you're trying to get around the challenges of being a Wendigo, it means you're being smart and trying not to get yourself killed. It's weird to me that people will often applaud you if you play black trenchcoat as a normal metahuman, but will often rebuke you for doing the exact same thing with an Infected character.

And as for playing an exotic concept, what's wrong with breaking stereotypes? If one players wants to play a traditional Dracula style vampire, and another one wants to play a neon-mohawked neo-anarchist combat-biker hipster-punk vampire pirate trideo celebrity wannabe, I'd personally be happy to accomodate both. I wouldn't let either of them just ignore their Dietary Requirements or Essence Drain, but I'd allow each of them to go about handling those problems in whatever way they see fit. Vlad Dracula might choose to flit stealthily through the shadows, hunting down and preying on the blood and essence of helpless virgins, then shapechanging into a bat and flying off into the gloom, while Nicky "Novacoke" Diamond just throws insane afterparties and gets his various needs met by his legions of groupies. Both characters are equally valid.

Exotic concepts aren't sacred and immutable. They're just exotic. Breaking the conventions about vampires and ghouls and the like can be just as rewarding as playing them straight. I admit, the reason these concepts remain popular and stay with us is that they speak to us about certain deep, universal human fears and failings, and exploring those themes can be a very strong foundation for a character or a roleplay. But at the same time, subverting them can be just as interesting and just as worth exploring. I mean, what if someone showed you a Wendigo who, instead of being just a mindless monster, was actually more like Beast from the X-Men? Or a New-Age Banshee hippy, who was a cheerful celebrator of life rather than a wailing lamenter of death? There's room enough for all kinds of Infected - not just the traditional storybook variety.

~Umi

You're right. There's nothing bad about doing the above. I guess part of my problem was a solid decade of playing WoD games, where most everyone thought they had to be special snowflakes. The Militant Child of Gaia. The peaceful Get of Fenris, the gutter Silverfang (Though this one is supported in canon), the calm thoughtful Brujah, the punkish Ventrue, ect ect ect. It got to the point that if you were playing THE Sterotype, you seemed like the strange one. If you played a biker Brujah, or a painter Torrie, or a (more) Peaceful (though not totally) Coggie or what ever, you stood out, because SOOOO Many people played the non traditional _______.

So, for myself (( and I can only speak for myself)) I personally like to embrace the things that make special characters special. Now, you're 100% right, you don't have to play the mindless beast Wendigo. Infact if it's a PC it's going to be assumed you're NOT one of the mindless cannibalistic sorts. It's going to be preseumed you're one of the exceptional ones in some way that makes you a viable player character.

I think for me, I just kinda liked the imagery more than the "infected, ritually cannibalistic giant furry orc".

Personally for me, the "Giant white furred orc" I.E. A Wendigo or Yeti type was what I wanted. lol Which is much easier done with SURGE.

Infact... MUCH MUCH Easier with SURGE. And could be fun in it's own right. People might think the giant white furred SURGE orc IS a Wendigo, but infact.. he's not. Not 'Infected' doesn't eat people and doesn't need the soul Munchies... but has to live with the fact that many out there --think-- that he --is-- infected and --does-- eat people and --does-- get the soul munchies.

That in and of itself would be complex and a challenge to play.

I just like Sasquatch and Yetis.... and the ShadowRun Sasquatch are.... not what I'm looking for.
NeoJudas
Stream of thought responses here... I don't apologize.

Invisibility is another spell, just like alleviate allergy. Sustain one or the other. Pick.
Customized spellcraft can resolve this to an extent, a sort of "Personalized Shadow" spell.

Nutrition is not designed as is to handle two specific things unique to this thread. The first is Nutrition, unless changed dramatically and I missed it, does not resolve the psychological issues of "needing to eat tangible grub". The second is it only works with normal metahuman physiology. Essential sustainance is a different issue. Different spell might be possible.

Renfield as a solution to essence loss. As the Infected in question is using their own to make the stuff, it might be a good idea to realize that it won't support the source individual at all. And if you are going to ingest someone else's Renfield concoction, do you not subject yourself to becoming that individuals addict? Literal food for thought.

Metahumans are not Critters as defined by Magic. I don't care if you are human, ork, wakyambi or a gnome, neither Shapechange nor Transform as written will give you a metahuman form/disguise. Again, different spell formulation could.

Sasquoi and Language. They understand the language, even spoken language. What they lack is the connective neurology to allow them to formulate audible speech. "SOUNDS" are not necessarily patterned or structured in the same manner as "SPEECH". The usage of the sign language bypass involves both alternative neurological constructivism as well the ability to communicate in a form patterned and shared by others with same. Remember, a sign language know soft only allows for comprehension... It takes wires or similar implants to allow for two,way communication here.

Horns.... Consider the ORDER of,character development. Perhaps the Ork had horns PRIOR to Infection and they survived the conversion. You pay for the horns first and then wendigo afterwards. It will also help you to create character back history as to how they became infected.

SURGE is the greatest example of how to explain stupid shit for character play that might have possibly ever been put into the SR Universe.

Hiding in plain sight. While the Secrets of Power trilogy from way back may not be greatest of examples, Wendigo are FAR from mindless brutes. They are cognitive, manipulative, thinking MONSTERS. You want a suggestion to play this? Think of Beast (as in Beauty and the...) from the Disney flick. Now tweak it only slightly. Those mood swings of his are appetite urges trying to come out. He's otherwise very capable of cordial and civil living. Also, depending on the cityscape for your games, clothing is the simplest option to hide. The weather in Shadowrun is one of,the greatest ways to hide ones identity. Capes, cloaks, etc are but a few of,the Vashon Island trends....

Sorry, this conversation is an old one to me.... Like 20 years plus now. I enjoy, and even relish a player taking on a more challenging character type like this. If the group is also ready for it, then more enjoyment to your games.
NeoJudas
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Feb 7 2013, 06:07 AM) *
I just like Sasquatch and Yetis.... and the ShadowRun Sasquatch are.... not what I'm looking for.

I bet you want the Yeti from the 3rd Mummy franchise......
Umidori
I'll definitely agree on the topic of Sasquatches in Shadowrun. They've got entirely the wrong feel to them - like something from a bad 90s movie (a la Encino Man, et cetera), like they're your big furry friends, a more peaceful and gentler version of a Wookiee. Absolutely hate that about them.

Bandersnatchii could be an interesting stand-in for yetis, if not for the fact that their Dietary Requirement of Sasquatch Flesh is absurdly limiting if you actually think about it. There are only an estimated 35,000 sasquatches worldwide. If you want to play a Bandersnatch and not starve, you're gonna have to live in a Sasquatch population center, and you're going to have to hunt them yourself or have others hunt for you. For a ghoul or wendigo, it's comparatively simple to snatch up humans from crowded urban centers. There are untold numbers of poor and desperate, and if they're SINless it isn't even considered a crime.

~Umi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012