Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: Another Shadowrun 5 game starting
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
RelentlessImp
That's a much more solid basis for the argument than the one line I was pointing to. *bookmarks his PDF* And Paws doesn't have any cash left to chip in on a shared living space; and he really, really wouldn't want to share it, in case these people who are dangerous, semi-psychopathic criminals find out about his current SIN in good standing and decide to teach the 'corporate brat' a lesson.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 15 2013, 06:38 PM) *
That's a much more solid basis for the argument than the one line I was pointing to. *bookmarks his PDF* And Paws doesn't have any cash left to chip in on a shared living space; and he really, really wouldn't want to share it, in case these people who are dangerous, semi-psychopathic criminals find out about his current SIN in good standing and decide to teach the 'corporate brat' a lesson.

HAHAHAH

That's quite fine smile.gif If I remember correctly, I think everyone on the team has a legal SIN nyahnyah.gif
Slide
well technicaly its an auto motive build/repair facility, and I have a shop in my van. i have level 2 in engineering and a high logic, so with AR and no penalties for conditions i should be able to throw 9 dice at build/repair most things. Now as a player i know that I shouldn't allow illigeal shenanigans to go on in my place of buisness. But I think Breaker is a bit more deficient in worldly wisdom than me.
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Jul 15 2013, 05:52 PM) *
HAHAHAH

That's quite fine smile.gif If I remember correctly, I think everyone on the team has a legal SIN nyahnyah.gif

Legal, yeah; but how many of them are still in good stead with the Company? Still employed? They're all on the outs, on their way out, or effectively retired from the Company business, and I'm just getting started towards the Company life. Breeds envy, hate, jealousy, or just outright murder-thoughts.
Mister Juan
On a different note, I think we've already established that Breaker and George are "friends", and that George helped Paws at least once in the past.

Having George hide him out for a time, like you've mentioned in your short fiction post, would totaly be in character for George, especially considering the fact that Paws is young and that George has kids.

Any other connections? I wouldn't be against saying that George actually enlisted Paws and Breaker for a job, a while back, and that the team (or at least this particular trio) started out that way.
RelentlessImp
That sounds alright to me; let George be the talent finder and the rest of us the talent. nyahnyah.gif
Slide
[ Spoiler ]
JonathanC
Stats forthcoming, but I wanted to get an opinion on this background.

[ Spoiler ]
Slide
Works out well. I like the cover story.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jul 16 2013, 01:05 AM) *

[ Spoiler ]

That's a really nice background smile.gif I'm almost jealous I didn't think of it before nyahnyah.gif
RelentlessImp
Gotta love a good chip-head.
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Slide)
-snip-

Breaker checks out. Nothing needs changing.
imperialus
Ok, all, sorry for the lack of an update yesterday. Worked a closing shift, and I'm turning around to an opening this morning. sleepy.gif

Banking hours ain't what they used to be nyahnyah.gif

Anyhow, to hammer through a few rules things before I head off to work, though it looks like you guys did a pretty good job sorting them out.

1) The autosoft's costing 500 nuyen.gif /rating seems perfectly reasonable.
2) Sorry about the confusion re-skillpoints vs. skillgroups. I was actually able to look at the book, and my reading of it now matches the consensus that the number of points you get to spend in skillgroups is indeed extra.

Big thanks to Restless Imp for doing all the number crunching with the characters. To be perfectly honest, picking apart characters has always been a weak point of mine in Shadowrun, and I've spent more of my time reading through the various gameplay chapters, and doing prep work for the run itself rather than reading the chargen stuff.

At any rate, things seem to be coming along nicely. I like the synergies that are developing between the characters, particularly George.

I should be good to get started as soon as you guys are.
Slacker
QUOTE (Slacker @ Jul 15 2013, 01:36 PM) *
Here's a link to my character: Saburo Masao (aka. Jengo)

Priority System:
A: Skills
B: Attributes
C: Nuyen
D: Metatype
E: Magic/Resonance

Carried over 695 nuyen from buying gear and rolled 17x100 for my starting nuyen based on my Middle Lifestyle. No karma was carried over.

Haven't come up with names for my contacts yet, but all do that as part of my backstory.

Just remembered this morning that I forgot to add 2 more knowledge skills when i bumped up my intuition right before finishing the character. I've added 2 points of Russian language as his fixer contact is also a member of the Vory.
imperialus
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jul 16 2013, 12:05 AM) *

Nicely done. I like it. smile.gif
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (imperialus @ Jul 16 2013, 07:06 AM) *
2) Sorry about the confusion re-skillpoints vs. skillgroups. I was actually able to look at the book, and my reading of it now matches the consensus that the number of points you get to spend in skillgroups is indeed extra.

It really makes Skills A incredibly attractive. I think they've done a really good job with the priority system by making all the As something you'd like, all the Bs being good enough, all the Cs really hitting that 'middle of the road' feel (especially as you can cover up for a Magic/Resonance C with a Metatype A or B), and D and E being the 'weak' points. I'm really liking 5E's priority chargen if you couldn't tell. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Slacker @ Jul 16 2013, 07:08 AM) *
Just remembered this morning that I forgot to add 2 more knowledge skills when i bumped up my intuition right before finishing the character. I've added 2 points of Russian language as his fixer contact is also a member of the Vory.

If you can add where you've spent your karma somewhere; that's the one weak point I've got with looking characters over, I can't guess where karma got spent.
imperialus
QUOTE (Raiden @ Jul 15 2013, 02:12 PM) *
Just read I can cast a non combat spell as a simple. Then. Shoot/attack as a simple... epic!

Where did you see that? All I'm seeing is the "reckless spellcasting" option on p281 that lets you cast a spell (of any type) as a simple action but at a cost of +3 drain
RelentlessImp
You're limited to one attack action per pass; so casting a spell that affects yourself (for +3 drain) then firing a shot off works. Throwing a Stunbolt and then shooting doesn't.
Slacker
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 16 2013, 07:12 AM) *
It really makes Skills A incredibly attractive. I think they've done a really good job with the priority system by making all the As something you'd like, all the Bs being good enough, all the Cs really hitting that 'middle of the road' feel (especially as you can cover up for a Magic/Resonance C with a Metatype A or B), and D and E being the 'weak' points. I'm really liking 5E's priority chargen if you couldn't tell. biggrin.gif

If you can add where you've spent your karma somewhere; that's the one weak point I've got with looking characters over, I can't guess where karma got spent.

4 Karma spent on Ambidextrous
11 Karma spent on First Impression Positive Quality
25 karma gained on Corporate SINner
10 Karma spent raising Body from 1 to 2
25 Karma spent raising Logic from 1 to 3

For nuyen, started with 140,000 from my priority choice and I spent:
Monofilament Whip: -10,000
Tailord Pheromones: -93000
Ares Viper Slivergun (with added integral smartgun): -750
Added Gas Vent Rtg3: -600
Concealable Holster: -150
120 flechette Rounds: -780
3 extra clips: -15
3 Flash-paks: - 375
Actioneer Business Clothes: -1500
-Added Electrochromic clothing option: -500
-Added Nonconductivity Rtg6 -1500
Internal Commlink (Transys Avalon): -7000
Fake SIN Rtg 4: -10000
Datajack: -1000
Medkit Rtg 6: -1500
5 doses of Jazz: -375
Glasses [Capacity 4]: -400
-Flare comp: -250
-Vision Enhancement Rtg 3: -1500
Contacts [Capacity 3] -600
-Smartlink -2000
-Low-light -500
Middle Lifestyle -5000
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Slacker @ Jul 15 2013, 01:36 PM) *
Here's a link to my character: Saburo Masao (aka. Jengo)

Priority System:
A: Skills
B: Attributes
C: Nuyen
D: Metatype
E: Magic/Resonance

Carried over 695 nuyen from buying gear and rolled 17x100 for my starting nuyen based on my Middle Lifestyle. No karma was carried over.

Haven't come up with names for my contacts yet, but all do that as part of my backstory.

You've spent 44 of 46 skill points (but all 10 of your skill groups)
Escape Artist 2 (2)
Exotic Melee Weapon [mf whip] 5 (5)
Pistols 3 (3)
Sneaking 4 (4)
Pilot Groundcraft 4 (4)
Con 6 (6)
Impersonation 4 (4)
Leadership 6 (6)
Disguise 2 (2)
Perception 6 (6)
Forgery 2 (2)

2+5+3+4+4+6+4+6+2+6+2 = 44.

You've spent 14/12 Knowledges (Logic is 1 at chargen when you hit the Skill step, so ([5+1]*2)).
16/12 with the +2 Russian you stated.

Everything else looks alright.
Slacker
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 16 2013, 07:45 AM) *
You've spent 44 of 46 skill points (but all 10 of your skill groups)

2+5+3+4+4+6+4+6+2+6+2 = 44.

You've spent 14/12 Knowledges (Logic is 1 at chargen when you hit the Skill step, so ([5+1]*2)).
16/12 with the +2 Russian you stated.

Everything else looks alright.

I guess I forgot to add my First Aid 2 on that character sheet. That takes up the missing 2 skill points.
RelentlessImp
I think that takes care of everyone who's got mechanics up to this point. That's Slacker, Mister Juan, Slide, Raiden; just waiting on JohnathanC.
Slacker
QUOTE (Slacker @ Jul 16 2013, 07:50 AM) *
I guess I forgot to add my First Aid 2 on that character sheet. That takes up the missing 2 skill points.

Character sheet has been corrected with the missing First Aid skill and the addition of Russian language:
Jengo
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Slacker @ Jul 16 2013, 09:00 AM) *
Character sheet has been corrected with the missing First Aid skill and the addition of Russian language:
Jengo

You're still over on Knowledges, unless I'm missing something. Anything you do in Step 7: Spend your Leftover Karma does not affect things in the previous steps; in Step Five: Purchase Skills, Subheading Knowledge and Language Skills, you calculate your Knowledge skill total, which at this point (in which your Logic is still 1) is 12. Whether or not it's retroactive isn't discussed, so... I think it becomes a GM call whether or not it's retroactive, but by strict procedural order raising Log to 3 in the Karma step doesn't affect your free Knowledge/Language skills.
Slacker
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 16 2013, 08:04 AM) *
You're still over on Knowledges, unless I'm missing something. Anything you do in Step 7: Spend your Leftover Karma does not affect things in the previous steps; in Step Five: Purchase Skills, Subheading Knowledge and Language Skills, you calculate your Knowledge skill total, which at this point (in which your Logic is still 1) is 12. Whether or not it's retroactive isn't discussed, so... I think it becomes a GM call whether or not it's retroactive, but by strict procedural order raising Log to 3 in the Karma step doesn't affect your free Knowledge/Language skills.

Ah....that's where I'm going wrong, I was thinking knowledge skills were bought after I spent Karma. I'll correct. Russian is removed, Japanese and High Society reduced by 1.
RelentlessImp
At this point I'd like to apologize if any of what I've said to you guys while looking over your characters has come off as aggressive or dickish. I'm not trying to be, just trying to point things out. So far we've managed to figure out a couple of things about the chargen system, though, so I judge it as a success. biggrin.gif
Slacker
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 16 2013, 08:29 AM) *
At this point I'd like to apologize if any of what I've said to you guys while looking over your characters has come off as aggressive or dickish. I'm not trying to be, just trying to point things out. So far we've managed to figure out a couple of things about the chargen system, though, so I judge it as a success. biggrin.gif

For myself, I completely agree with that sentiment and saw nothing wrong with your comments. It's a new system and we are all learning it. I'm all for discussing things that aren't clear or on first read can be interpreted different ways.
RelentlessImp
This is really shaping up to be a hell of a runner team. Got a good family man of a Brick, a chip-head buying her own cover, a swording physad, a good ol' boy rigger, a pretty Japanacorps Face, and a Neo-@ "terrorist" in the making. This is going to be a hilarious group.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 16 2013, 10:29 AM) *

Nonsense! nyahnyah.gif
Raiden
^ refer to above posts. ^.^
Mister Juan
@imperialus
Out of curiosity, how long has the "team" been together? Is it up to us? I'm just wondering because it would affect a bit the relation between each character.
Slide
When a plan all comes together....

[ Spoiler ]
RelentlessImp
Fraggin' totem murderer.
Slide
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 16 2013, 10:40 PM) *
Fraggin' totem murderer.

*whistles as he hoses down the van's front left bumper*
Raiden
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 15 2013, 07:56 PM) *
Legal, yeah; but how many of them are still in good stead with the Company? Still employed? They're all on the outs, on their way out, or effectively retired from the Company business, and I'm just getting started towards the Company life. Breeds envy, hate, jealousy, or just outright murder-thoughts.

Hmmm. My guy may still be accepted back into his corp :3
RelentlessImp
"Alright, who wants to give Katsu the chip-truth? I ain't doing it, omae; do you see 'stupid fragger' in neon on my forehead? Send the Brick, he can't take him apart the way he can the rest of us. What's the chip-truth? I'll tell you; corps don't throw someone like that to the wolves except for a very good reason. It's all about the Control, the Knowledge, and Understanding. And like an old sci-fi trid told me once, understanding's a three edge sword; your side, their side, and the truth. Your side they don't care about. The truth is the first casualty of war with the corps. Their side's all that matters, so what's their side? Yeah, that's exactly what I'm suggesting; he's either a plant to finger new talent for his corp or they wanted rid of him, and the moment his head pops up on their radar they'll take him down with maximum prejudice and as much collateral damage as possible. They'll even spin something about terrorists, likely label us Terra First activists or something. So who's gonna bring him chip-truth?"
imperialus
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Jul 16 2013, 03:22 PM) *
@imperialus
Out of curiosity, how long has the "team" been together? Is it up to us? I'm just wondering because it would affect a bit the relation between each character.

It's up to you guys. Generally speaking the closer the relationships the easier it is to get you guys going in the same direction without resorting to "everyone gets a call from their fixer".
Raiden
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 16 2013, 06:25 PM) *
"Alright, who wants to give Katsu the chip-truth? I ain't doing it, omae; do you see 'stupid fragger' in neon on my forehead? Send the Brick, he can't take him apart the way he can the rest of us. What's the chip-truth? I'll tell you; corps don't throw someone like that to the wolves except for a very good reason. It's all about the Control, the Knowledge, and Understanding. And like an old sci-fi trid told me once, understanding's a three edge sword; your side, their side, and the truth. Your side they don't care about. The truth is the first casualty of war with the corps. Their side's all that matters, so what's their side? Yeah, that's exactly what I'm suggesting; he's either a plant to finger new talent for his corp or they wanted rid of him, and the moment his head pops up on their radar they'll take him down with maximum prejudice and as much collateral damage as possible. They'll even spin something about terrorists, likely label us Terra First activists or something. So who's gonna bring him chip-truth?"

Well that would certainly be depressing and infuriating news for the poor guy.
Slide
QUOTE (Raiden @ Jul 16 2013, 10:42 PM) *
Well that would certainly be depressing and infuriating news for the poor guy.

Welcome to the shadows.
Raiden
Even if told this, for a while he will believe they would take him back. (whether or not this would be true) of course, if they wanted him dead, kinda puts a BIG hole in my backstory for him, since, He would BE dead.
RelentlessImp
It wouldn't put that big a hole in it, really. If they wanted him dead, well. I believe one of the Japanacorps belief is that the Corporation is life, the Corporation is everything. Even in older Japan, exiling a child from the family meant, to the family, they were dead. Symbolic death is more important to some Asian cultures than physical death, given the Shinto traditions. So he could very well believe that he can crawl out from the symbolic death and make it back to the land of the living - so to speak.
Mister Juan
If my understanding is correct, this is what we have, right?

Slacker: Saburo “Jengo” Masao – Human, Face
Raiden: Katsuro “Katsu” Minamoto – Human, Mystic Adept
JohnathanC: “Bit Lee” - Human, Decker
Mr. Juan: George “Grinder” Earnest – Ork, Street Sam
RelentlessImp: Csilla “Paws-in-Shadows” Herceg – Dwarf, Cat Shaman
Slide: David “Breaker” Bell – Human, Rigger
RelentlessImp
Looks about right to me.
imperialus
yep, I think so. We're just waiting on JohnathanC's stats.

I'm pretty well good to go. When I throw up the OOC thread I'll collate everyone's char sheets in the first post.
RelentlessImp
C'mon JohnathanC, you're letting the Sixth World down nyahnyah.gif (Kidding)
imperialus
Oh, and waiting on some background stuff for Jango too (unless I missed it somewhere).

As an interesting factoid. I combined all of your 20 questions and backstories into a word document so I could reference them easier. It clocked in at 16 pages and almost 9000 words. Colour me impressed.
RelentlessImp
That just makes me wanna write a full-fledged background. I still need to choose which Corp Paws was born into, too... hm. Any suggestions?
Slacker
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 16 2013, 08:03 PM) *
That just makes me wanna write a full-fledged background. I still need to choose which Corp Paws was born into, too... hm. Any suggestions?

Well, Kenyon was born into Mitsuhama before foolishly being talked into being extracted by Renraku in a vain attempt to get out from under the shadow of his two older brothers.
If that helps.
Mister Juan
I actually still need to spend 4 knowledge points and like 9 grand.... Oh boy....
Raiden
GO RENRAKU, then we can have 3 guys from there lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012