Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: Another Shadowrun 5 game starting
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
RelentlessImp
Think I'll stay away from AAAs. Federated Boeing, with pop being in the Metalworks subsidiary (alloy technician/engineer) and mom being an aeronautics engineer.
Slide
so we are just waiting on Bit Lee's stats? Come on JC!

He doesn't seem quite as prolific as the rest of us, but umm.... How are we going to be starting?
JonathanC
Sorry, I'm terrible without a chargen program frown.gif

[ Spoiler ]

I believe she has 80 nuyen leftover, plus whatever the starting money for middle lifestyle is.

EDIT: fixed some math. Thanks Imp.
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jul 16 2013, 10:58 PM) *
Sorry, I'm terrible without a chargen program frown.gif

This means it's your turn to be scrutinized by the roving eye of the Imp!
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jul 16 2013, 10:58 PM) *
26+4 Free Karma spent:
15 karma - raise Electronics Group from 2 to 3
6 karma - raise Gymnastics from 2 to 3
6 karma - raise First Aid from 0 to 2
3 karma - buy one Loyalty 2 connection 1 Contact

I'm not sure where you get 30 Karma from; base 25+4+10 = 39 - 10 = 29. So you're 1 karma over.

Everything else looks good, though.
imperialus
Just so I'm clear on the connections (trying to figure out how everyone will get together)

George knows Paws in Shadows (from having scraped him off the floor) and Breaker (old friends)
Katsu should be pretty easy to work in on the corp angle.
Since she's new in town Bit Chip might be the most difficult... Just a thought, but might it be possible that she knows Paws in Shadows over the matrix or something? It'd me he'd know who she really was but it would be an interesting connection.
JonathanC
A few ideas:

1. Has anyone done any smuggling? Bit made her way to Seattle via hitchhiking, and she's got connections to BTL smuggling via the Triads. It's possible we met on the way up here.

2. She's young and fond of the nightlife, so it's possible that we met socially.

3. Every team needs a decker, and Bit would have been a relatively cheap option when the team was being formed, since she was a newcomer.

4. This character is based on an NPC I used in a game once; it was meant to be a background encounter, but the players took a shine to her. She got fried by black IC in a motel room next to the room where one of the players was staying; being nosy, he popped in and managed to save her life. We could go with something similar.

5. With her weapon and cyberdeck licenses, Bit Lee passes herself off as a security consultant named Tina Wong. Perhaps she knows the group more professionally?
Raiden
Katsu -may- have met her on one of his forays into a club. Also to clarify the cha score does not denote an ugly guy foe my character. It is more in his personality and the way he holds/sees himself. nyahnyah.gif the others I am not so sure would work.
Slide
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jul 17 2013, 04:01 PM) *
A few ideas:

1. Has anyone done any smuggling? Bit made her way to Seattle via hitchhiking, and she's got connections to BTL smuggling via the Triads. It's possible we met on the way up here.

2. She's young and fond of the nightlife, so it's possible that we met socially.

3. Every team needs a decker, and Bit would have been a relatively cheap option when the team was being formed, since she was a newcomer.

4. This character is based on an NPC I used in a game once; it was meant to be a background encounter, but the players took a shine to her. She got fried by black IC in a motel room next to the room where one of the players was staying; being nosy, he popped in and managed to save her life. We could go with something similar.

5. With her weapon and cyberdeck licenses, Bit Lee passes herself off as a security consultant named Tina Wong. Perhaps she knows the group more professionally?

Actually, It was my intent in "when a plan all comes together" that she was Mrs. Johnson and had sent us to recover some "Datadisk" from a BTL ring.

Oh and Breaker was originally introduced into Shadowrunning by a gun running dwarf named Rehab. I've also got knowledge smuggling routs 2.
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jul 17 2013, 11:01 AM) *

Your song is now Nightlife, Baby.
Jengo's song is Turning Japanese.
Katsu's song is Beyond Monday.
Breaker's song is Dragula.
Grinder's song is Safety Dance.

biggrin.gif
Slide
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 17 2013, 05:28 PM) *
Your song is now Nightlife, Baby.
Jengo's song is Turning Japanese.
Breaker's song is Dragula.
Grinder's song is Safety Dance.

biggrin.gif

Is that a twisted metal reference for breaker? biggrin.gif But then again if I have a shadowrunner that inspires thoughts of head banging metal I'm probably doing it right.

I haven't figured out Paw's music yet. I'm guessing its either This or This
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Slide @ Jul 17 2013, 11:53 AM) *
Is that a twisted metal reference for breaker? biggrin.gif But then again if I have a shadowrunner that inspires thoughts of head banging metal I'm probably doing it right.

I haven't figured out Paw's music yet. I'm guessing its either This or This

Your links be broken, mon.
Slide
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 17 2013, 06:12 PM) *
Your links be broken, mon.

Fixed
RelentlessImp
Always with the cheap shots, huh? And I can't really help Dragula; every time there's a vehicle-focused rigger my mind jumps right to Dragula. Alternate would be Thunder Kiss '65. Always Zombie. High-octane vehicle music done right.
Raiden
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 17 2013, 01:28 PM) *

biggrin.gif

I am fine with this lol. not quite what I woulda picked, but it works haha.
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Raiden @ Jul 17 2013, 12:57 PM) *
I am fine with this lol. not quite what I woulda picked, but it works haha.

I went with something that defined a physadept's business; instrumental, so no lyrics in the way. It has that starting essence; that moment when all drek breaks loose and the adept mentally prepares himself. Then it goes from zero to sixty in half a second, and just keeps building, growing more intense. The plummet into minimalistic bassline as drek gets serious, rising to a heroic vibe, and finishing with a cool period as the physadept makes the shift from killing machine to team member, with a vaguely mysterious echo during the credits that evokes "What happened after?"

Alternately, Bangarang (and the music video screams 'street kids growing up to be shadowrunners').
Raiden
yeah mix the music from the first one with the vid from the second. works well. I'd still be pissed as hell about my hand.
Slacker
I finally got around to typing up the responses on the 20 questions for Jengo.
20 Questions
[ Spoiler ]
Slide
Is it bad that for the most part I don't read other people's full backgrounds? I always thought that its funner learning about them in character.
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Slide @ Jul 17 2013, 01:49 PM) *
Is it bad that for the most part I don't read other people's full backgrounds? I always thought that its funner learning about them in character.

I do the same, but it's nice to skim and get a feel for what they look like and what to expect - details a contact might tell you about a person. ("Yeah, he's a fraggin' massive ork who's seen a lotta years and drek", "He's one of them Japanese, dark-haired except that silly green slash through his hair", "She's a looker, but she's a chiphead, so you might wanna keep an eye on her more than normal, especially when she starts twitching", etc.)
Slide
well short fiction i'll read the shit out of. Hell thats half the reason i'm getting involved in a play by post. I've always wrote my best stuff based on SR.
Slacker
QUOTE (Slide @ Jul 17 2013, 02:49 PM) *

I'm the same way too. I mostly see it as info for the GM to grab ideas from.
imperialus
So after a few rewrites here I think I'm going to have to do the Shadowrun equivalent of the wand of magic party forming.

Everyone can add a free contact to your list. He has a loyalty of 1 and a secret connection rating. If you feel so inspired as to do a bit of a Karma shuffle you can purchase his loyalty up to a rating of 3.

He goes by the name "Tinman". Tinman is something of a fixture within the Seattle runner scene. He worked as a runner in the 50's and early 60's before 'retiring' and becoming a fixer and weapons dealer afterwards. He works hard to maintain the stereotype of the hard drinking Slav and one of his favorite tests for new runner teams he meets is to see how long it takes before he drinks them under the table. His age is tough to gauge exactly because the vast majority of his body has been replaced by chrome, but he claims to be a veteran of the Euro Wars and to have served in the battle of Velograd and the age of a lot of his cyber backs him up on this. Of course he also claims to have battled Deus, HELO dropped into Chi Town, and met Harlequin so most people take his stories with a pretty huge grain of salt possibly with a touch of senility and cyberpsychosis added into the mix. Don't let the outdated ware and complaints about the 'good old days' fool you though. Tinman is still hard as nails, and deadly in a fight, even if he isn't as quick as he used to be.

As a fixer he has a pretty good reputation. He has decades of experience in the shadows and puts it to good use both in finding talent and keeping it alive. His days of planning high stakes capers against major sydicates and AAA's are behind him, but he knows a lot of people, and runners that find themselves on his good side will often find their rep within the shadows does very well.

Oh, and since we're doing theme songs. Here is Tinman's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51ybp_YFo7I
RelentlessImp
Sounds good. Fix me up, Tinman, we'll get you a heart yet. When we starting, boss?
imperialus
Hope to have the thread up tomorrow AM. smile.gif
Mister Juan
Quick question, and I might already know the answer but if you go with an implanted commlink, I take it you need sound and image link implanted to actually use it, unless you link your head with peripherals... which seems counter productive.

I'm mainly asking because I got George an internal commlink instead of an external one, and with the sound and image link, he's at 0.01 essence. So yea...
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Jul 17 2013, 10:43 PM) *
Quick question, and I might already know the answer but if you go with an implanted commlink, I take it you need sound and image link implanted to actually use it, unless you link your head with peripherals... which seems counter productive

Well you probably need something to project the 'link's output on to; but DNI devices are an odd thing to think about. An implanted 'link should function completely on its own without external peripherals, in my opinion, using your imagination (or mental visualization) in order to display its output.

Also, I guess George qualifies for some serious cyberpsychosis.
imperialus
I'm not sure how massive a pain it would be for you guys to do this, but would it be possible to port your character sheets over to this format like Jango's sheet. I find it a lot easier to read. If you use version 1 you can just punch your raw stats in since you've already done the calculations and the like. If you have a dropbox folder you can upload them there, otherwise you can email them to me and I'll upload them.
RelentlessImp
Actually I'd like to know where Jengo got that sheet; it's a bit different from the form-fillable.
Slacker
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 17 2013, 10:51 PM) *
Well you probably need something to project the 'link's output on to; but DNI devices are an odd thing to think about. An implanted 'link should function completely on its own without external peripherals, in my opinion, using your imagination (or mental visualization) in order to display its output.

Also, I guess George qualifies for some serious cyberpsychosis.

I've seen it played both ways. Mostly though, I see an internal commlink working like your regular thoughts/memories work. You can think words to yourself but generally don't "hear" the subtleties of specific speech patterns of various people (if you've heard a movie quote or are good at impersonations your mind can fill in accent and such, but I see simple thoughts as coming across with out much inflection). With images you can think back on your memories, but for the most part you don't have a super detailed image in your mind (unless you are far better at that sort of thing than me).
So, if you want crisp/clear images and sounds, you need to have an image link/sound link internally also or on glasses/earbuds.

It's really a GM call.
Slacker
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 18 2013, 08:34 AM) *
Actually I'd like to know where Jengo got that sheet; it's a bit different from the form-fillable.

Lol. I made it myself copying the pages out of the book and then overlaying text. It's not setup as form-fillable currently, though I was planning to do that eventually. I can make a blank one for you guys if you'd like.
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Slacker @ Jul 18 2013, 08:42 AM) *
Lol. I made it myself copying the pages out of the book and then overlaying text. It's not setup as form-fillable currently, though I was planning to do that eventually. I can make a blank one for you guys if you'd like.

Please do, the form-fillable tends to come out like this when saved and uploaded to dropbox.
Slacker
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 18 2013, 08:44 AM) *
Please do, the form-fillable tends to come out like this when saved and uploaded to dropbox.

Here you go: SR5 Blank Character Sheet
imperialus
QUOTE (Slacker @ Jul 18 2013, 08:41 AM) *
I've seen it played both ways. Mostly though, I see an internal commlink working like your regular thoughts/memories work. You can think words to yourself but generally don't "hear" the subtleties of specific speech patterns of various people (if you've heard a movie quote or are good at impersonations your mind can fill in accent and such, but I see simple thoughts as coming across with out much inflection). With images you can think back on your memories, but for the most part you don't have a super detailed image in your mind (unless you are far better at that sort of thing than me).
So, if you want crisp/clear images and sounds, you need to have an image link/sound link internally also or on glasses/earbuds.

It's really a GM call.

It's also a matter of how unsettling it would be to have a 'feeling' that you are getting a com-call, followed by the 'idea' that your boss wants you to come in an hour early. That'd be creepy.

That said though, I've always said that both a sound and an image link are included in essence cost of the comlink, but they only work for the comlink itself, even if other ware is connected to your PAN.
JonathanC
For some reason I can't download any of these fillable sheets right now; it keeps timing out, and the only one I could download won't open.
imperialus
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jul 18 2013, 10:05 AM) *
For some reason I can't download any of these fillable sheets right now; it keeps timing out, and the only one I could download won't open.

No worries. It's proving to be a pain so just format your sheet as best you can as a post.
Raiden
Same, these PDFs don't like my computer.
imperialus
@ RestlessImp.

You can go right ahead to the meet, or at least get yourself to the club and I can take it from there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012