Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: Another Shadowrun 5 game starting
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
imperialus
Sorry all we're kinda full up now frown.gif

Pretty much what it says on the tin.

A couple notes about my GMing style.

I work in a middle ground between pink mowhawk and black trenchcoat. Generally speaking, as long as you aren't too obvious you shouldn't get hassled. Co-operation between corp sec. and Knight Errant is almost non existent, and the cops corrupt enough that you should be able to buy your way out of most trouble, as long as you don't make too big of a scene.

I tend to be most comfortable working in the 'meat world'. Not to say 'don't play a mage or a decker' but I'd rather have 3 street sams in a team than 3 mages.

As the core book has just come out I'll be keeping it pretty traditional, at least for the first run.

I should be able to do daily (or more) updates for quick things (like combat rounds or back and forth conversations) bigger updates like scene changes and the like will likely be within 3-4 days. If I don't hear from you in two weeks without notice I'll let someone take over as an alternate. If it's during combat, and you need to make a roll to soak damage or something I'll give you a day and then just make the roll for you, just to keep things moving. Otherwise I've found that Shadowrun games can really bog down during fights since they rely on so much back and forth rolling. Only other roll I'll ever make on behalf of your character is initiative. When the drek hits the fan I'll roll for everyone at once otherwise we'll be taking a week just to get the initiative order sorted.

Other than that, it's the standard use invisible castle, mark it under your character and campaign name, blah, blah, blah.

If possible, I like to try and come up with a rough 'theme' for the team to explain why they work together. Best way I've found to do this is to get you, the players to pick one character that has already been posted above you and explain how you know them. You don't have to be 'besties' but, some sort of connection makes my life a lot easier.

Just like in Slacker's game you can either do a basic writeup, for your character background, or answer the 20 questions

[ Spoiler ]

Only other thing is regarding qualities:
1) Don't take a quality that has zero bearing on your character. Don't be a 'scorched' mage, or a 'codeblocked' street sam or anything silly like that. That makes me grouchy.
2) Don't be too afraid of negative qualities, I tend not to use them as a 'screw you' button. I see them as an opportunity to drive the story, especially things like Dependents, SIN's ect.
Slacker
I'm in! I'll likely do a physical adpet or maybe a face.
Raiden
I would be up for it. Getting the core book within a day or so.

Edit. Wanna try the new technomancer or mystic adept
Slacker
Right now I am leaning towards the face character. I like the flavor of the new variants of SINner. I have this idea for a character that was born into a megacorp family with a full Corporate SIN, but when he was a teenager another corp was able to convince him to get extracted. He agreed to it because of the shiny signing bonus not realizing that he would only ever be a middle manager with a limited corporate SIN at the new corp. By the time he realized that, it was too late and the original corp didn't want anything to do with him (unless it included a bullet to his head). After years of working for the corp that poached him, repeatedly hitting the glass ceiling of his Limited Corp SIN, he finally got frustrated enough to have a go in the Shadows and just tell the corps to go to hell.
imperialus
QUOTE (Slacker @ Jul 12 2013, 07:07 AM) *
Right now I am leaning towards the face character. I like the flavor of the new variants of SINner. I have this idea for a character that was born into a megacorp family with a full Corporate SIN, but when he was a teenager another corp was able to convince him to get extracted. He agreed to it because of the shiny signing bonus not realizing that he would only ever be a middle manager with a limited corporate SIN at the new corp. By the time he realized that, it was too late and the original corp didn't want anything to do with him (unless it included a bullet to his head). After years of working for the corp that poached him, repeatedly hitting the glass ceiling of his Limited Corp SIN, he finally got frustrated enough to have a go in the Shadows and just tell the corps to go to hell.

I like it. Yeah, those new SIN rules are pretty cool.
JonathanC
I'd love to give SR5 a shot - I'm pretty open to character types. I'm leaning towards a decker, but if the group ends up without a street sam I could go in that direction as well.
RelentlessImp
Just got through reading the SR5 core; I'd love to give this a shot. Currently thinking a Corp-born Dwarf Shaman kid guided by the whispers of Cat to sneak out from the Corporate bubble and experience life and secrets in the gritty world beyond the clean, sterile atmosphere of corporate life.
Slide
still reading through SR5. was going to say decker but it looks like you got a couple of people aiming at it already. It seems they can do some pretty cool things now.

So.... Never done a rigger before (after a decade of playing) Meet Breaker, unofficial owner of breaker's body shop, mechanic, pilot, civil deconstruction engineer, and part time stock jockey.
Moirdryd
I'm quite tempted. Only done a few SR play by forum games before and was magical in every one, so I think here that old love of the Street Sam calling me smile.gif. May have a go a re-visualizing my first ever SR character.

Got a long shift at work today and tomorrow but shall begin putting stuff together.
Trigger
I might be interested in this as well. The new system looks like fun and it would be nice to give it a shot. I might try converting my drug-smuggling, Ork Underground courier Physical Adept or maybe my namesake and first runner, Trigger, the hot headed combat mage....
imperialus
Hey all... So this took off while I was sleeping nyahnyah.gif and I think we're full up.

I got a PM earlier last night looking to join as well, so I'll probably have to cut it off after Slide.

So right now, we are looking at:

Slacker: Physad and/or Face
Raiden: Technomancer and/or Mystic Adept (though I guess that's more of an or since technos and wizardy types don't mix)
JohnathanC: Decker and/or Street Sam
Mr. Juan: ???
RelentlessImp: Dwarf Shaman
Slide: Rigger
Moirdryd and Trigger, I'll have to put you in as alternates for now frown.gif

The team is looking good so far. I'm going to be at work, and then the in-laws all day so other than checking the thread on my phone I'll be out of touch, but I'll leave it to you guys to get the team assembled. If timing works well I'll aim for getting the first IC post up by Wednesday.
Slide
cool, putting together a character. For some reason the book has no tool kits, or shops for purchase. Any suggestions on how I should proceed with the build/repair line work?

Edit: Nevermind they are just hidden.
RelentlessImp
Csilla Herceg, aka "Paws-in-Shadows"
[ Spoiler ]

Questionnaire
[ Spoiler ]

Short Sheet
[ Spoiler ]

Identities
[ Spoiler ]
Mister Juan
Glad to be aboard smile.gif
So, what do we need? I can pretty much cook up anything before the end of the day. Right off the bat, I can already say I haven't finished reading the Magic section, so I won't dip into the awakened pool. Technomancers are my thing either, so that's out.

Depending on what the team needs I can probably roll up a Decker (yay! the term is back!) or a Brick/Street Sam. I guess I can be whatever JohnathanC isn't... although making a "pair" of Decker might be very interesting.
Slide
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Jul 13 2013, 09:15 PM) *
Depending on what the team needs I can probably roll up a Decker (yay! the term is back!) or a Brick/Street Sam. I guess I can be whatever JohnathanC isn't... although making a "pair" of Decker might be very interesting.

Reading everything that a decker can do now it seems like you would have one very frantic chip head durring combat. Jamming enemie comms, shutting down cyberware, detonating enemy gernades, defending your team's cyber/PAN/Tacnet, Marking enmy drones for your rigger to take control of, protecting your rigger's drones(Wink Wink), Painting hostiles with Aros so there are no suprises durring combat. Lots of options for the decker now, and I hope it really helps people not feel like they have to go on a seperate adventure while playing a decker.
Mister Juan
Having thought about it properly, I think I'll leave the Decker character to someone else smile.gif As much as I'd like to try my hand at it, I'm really curious about seeing how the new character creation system handles cybered up characters. So yea, I'll soon introduce George Earnest. Background should be up before tonight. Just so everyone knows, I'm going for the "durability" approach over the "speed" one. So yea, we probably won't be the fastest, but I'll try to build him in a way he can take massive amount of punishment.
RelentlessImp
Hooray, my tiny ass will have a brick to hide behind.
Slide
I imagine it would be sorta like this.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=467...e=1&theater
Raiden
Ill get my mysadept up and running soon. background will be a while in coming as I havent picked one just yet. stats should be done.. by tomorrow night.
Slide
This is Breaker in Excel

Excel Sheet

I will have a background up in a day or so. It looks like i'm gonna be one of the few who isn't a bonafied sinner.
imperialus
Looking good so far guys! Shaping up to be a good team. smile.gif
Raiden
I will take corp sin... ex-red Sam sounds interesting
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Raiden @ Jul 13 2013, 10:31 PM) *
Ill get my mysadept up and running soon. background will be a while in coming as I havent picked one just yet. stats should be done.. by tomorrow night.

Just remember Bull's said Mystic Adepts are at the wrong cost for Karma to PP. From here:

6) Chargen

Mystic Adepts are the wrong cost. For the time being, assume they are 5 Karma for a Power Point instead of 2. This may and likely will be superseded when the official SR5 Errata is released.

Dwarves have Thermovision.

Trolls pay double lifestyle cost, but do not pay +50% equipment cost.

All other Chargen rules should apply as usual.
Slide
QUOTE (Raiden @ Jul 14 2013, 05:07 PM) *
I will take corp sin... ex-red Sam sounds interesting

Your a Samurai? So can you get me a Katana? I mean a real one, cause... that's what shadowrunners do.
Raiden
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 14 2013, 01:07 PM) *
Just remember Bull's said Mystic Adepts are at the wrong cost for Karma to PP. From here:

We are using this instead of the books ruling? if so I need to know. I haven't seen anything on this thread about it sorry if I overlooked the GMs ruling.
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Raiden @ Jul 14 2013, 12:21 PM) *
We are using this instead of the books ruling? if so I need to know. I haven't seen anything on this thread about it sorry if I overlooked the GMs ruling.

I suppose I could have phrased that better, sorry. I was just bringing it up because the GM hasn't said one way or another, and meant to make it sound to ask the GM to weigh in on it.
Raiden
s'ok, I had forgetten about the change to the mission events rules, ( wow, they actually CHANGED RAW for events.. what is this) I barely scarped this guy together with the 2 karma, if its 5 I'll have to either go adept or cybered to get the feel of the character, I'll lose the magic aspect but it would be ok.
Mister Juan
@imperialus
I take it the game will be Seattle based?
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Raiden @ Jul 14 2013, 01:32 PM) *
s'ok, I had forgetten about the change to the mission events rules, ( wow, they actually CHANGED RAW for events.. what is this) I barely scarped this guy together with the 2 karma, if its 5 I'll have to either go adept or cybered to get the feel of the character, I'll lose the magic aspect but it would be ok.

Well I only brought it up because the way Bull's phrased it, it affects more than Missions; it's an actual change to the base rules that'll be in the errata and second printing/second PDF.
Mister Juan
I haven't build up a character from a blank excel sheet in such a long time! Boy is my math rusty even with a calculator nyahnyah.gif But anyways!

Right now, George's big dice pools are shaping up to be : Damage Resistance, Healing (as in recuperating from injuries), Heavy Weapons, Assault Rifles, Intimidation, Demolition (Plastics), Industrial Mechanic (probably Welding) and Free Fall.
Raiden
my Ex red sam big Dice pools will probably be, Blades, Long arms, Gymnastics, Sneaking, (decent) damage resistance, Perception (woot for gear) and possibly sorcery and summoning.
Slide
I'm just curious, what are you considering to be a "big" Dicepool?
imperialus
QUOTE (Raiden @ Jul 14 2013, 11:21 AM) *

For now I'll tentatively say we'll go with the book. I say tentatively because in reading the magic chapter, Mystic Adepts are freaking beasts. I'll have to see the final character, to be sure though.
imperialus
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Jul 14 2013, 11:38 AM) *
@imperialus
I take it the game will be Seattle based?

Yep, Emerald City all the way.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Slide @ Jul 14 2013, 03:06 PM) *
I'm just curious, what are you considering to be a "big" Dicepool?

When there's more than 10 dices.
Slide
Thanks Juan. I wasn't min maxing, and looking at everything that people are talking about on the forums right now its not too hard to start with 20+ dice. I just wanted to be aware of the overall power we are looking at here.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Slide @ Jul 14 2013, 03:28 PM) *
Thanks Juan. I wasn't min maxing, and looking at everything that people are talking about on the forums right now its not too hard to start with 20+ dice. I just wanted to be aware of the overall power we are looking at here.

Hey, that's just me! I find it somewhat ridiculous when I chuck 20 dices for one action, but can't really do anything else. I much prefer having character who can throw 7 or 8 dices in every single skill, but that's just me.
Slide
Specializing is important. But in a world where the world is against you flexibility is just as important.
imperialus
QUOTE (Slide @ Jul 14 2013, 02:28 PM) *

Generally speaking I'd consider 15 to be a 'big dicepool' and about as high as I'd expect a starting character to be throwing in their specialty. It's actually my main concern with the Mystic Adept archtype only costing 2 karma per power point as once you start synergizing spells, adept powers and even potentially cyber/bio ware you can get some pretty obscene pools. As long as everything is spread around I'm cool with it, but just something to watch out for.
Raiden
I am going to be honest... there is so much cheese that can done with myadepts someone that is in one of my SR4 games went to make the most RAW broken character... dear god (though some of it is a tad iffy). I Don't like most of it so I kept it fairly reasonable I think.
RelentlessImp
Just keep in mind your Limits; no matter how large that dice pool is you're still limited by your [Physical, Mental, Social] limits for hits. I think Limits strike a nice balance between letting you have those enormous dicepools and limiting the benefit you get from them (in comparison to Buying Hits, that is).
Slide
limits are just an excuss for me to take dicepool penalties in the name of awesome biggrin.gif Like blind fire while doing a back flip off a crashing helicopter.
Raiden
okez, here is the stat Block as is ATM

Magic-A
ATT-B
Skills-C
Resource-D
metatype-E

[ Spoiler ]

Its my first character for SR5, if I missed something or messed up somewhere let me know. I think I got everything right though. fixed the skills area, ATT was a typo, sorry about that.
Slide
Ok so another annoying question from the rigger. in the book they list auto softs and explain what they do ect. But they don't list a price. What do you think will be a fair price to pay for the auto softs?
Mister Juan
I thought it said somewhere they were the same price as the decker's cyberprograms....
Slide
I didn't see anything like that. I have a thread open asking about it. it seems there is the same problem with pilot programs (which historically are teh same price as agents)
Mister Juan
By and by, George has served with the UCAS 82nd Airborn until 2064, so if anyone wants to know him from there, I'm more than happy to mesh backgrounds smile.gif Other than that, he was born in Boston in 2039, and moved to Seattle in 2065. He's got an Aztlandeer wife and 3 kids. He's also worked construction for some time in Seattle before moving on to security work (mostly as a bouncer in nightclubs and security guard at events, shows, etc...)
imperialus
QUOTE (Slide @ Jul 14 2013, 04:21 PM) *
Ok so another annoying question from the rigger. in the book they list auto softs and explain what they do ect. But they don't list a price. What do you think will be a fair price to pay for the auto softs?

In the tradition of KISS I think that Mr. Juan's theory that they are the same price as deckers programs seems reasonable, but I'm flexible on it.
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Jul 14 2013, 04:59 PM) *
By and by, George has served with the UCAS 82nd Airborn until 2064, so if anyone wants to know him from there, I'm more than happy to mesh backgrounds smile.gif Other than that, he was born in Boston in 2039, and moved to Seattle in 2065. He's got an Aztlandeer wife and 3 kids. He's also worked construction for some time in Seattle before moving on to security work (mostly as a bouncer in nightclubs and security guard at events, shows, etc...)

Well, if he's done the nightclub doorman/bouncer thing recently, now that I've mostly finalized Paws, I've got an idea. Paws does a lot of free-running once he's out of the Corporate Shell, jumping, sliding, climbing, etc. Could have suffered something of a little accident mid-job once, sliding off the rooftop of a club and landing painfully in front of George. If he's the type to take pity on teenagers, coulda hid him for a bit and let him finish up the job (thinking something tiny; courier, moving package from Point A in Bellevue to Point B in Snohomish, getting spotted by some gangers near Snohomish, etc).
Mister Juan
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jul 14 2013, 07:19 PM) *
Could have suffered something of a little accident mid-job once, sliding off the rooftop of a club and landing painfully in front of George.

For some reason, I love that scene. I can see it perfectly in my head smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012