Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR5 Ramming Rules
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Tzeentch
I see the ramming rules (SR5, p. 203) now range from the old Tricycles of Terror to the new Mr. Torgue's Wild EXPLOSION Adventure Ride which is hilarious.

(Fixed the examples, I think)

Movement Rate
So we're clear, here's a chart of the walking Movement Rates for vehicles converted to mph and kph. Vehicles have a "running" rate but there's mechanically little difference (but you have a -3 dice to ram someone within Running Rate distance). Multiply the speeds on the chart below by 2 to get the running rate.
CODE
Speed Attribute            MPH        KPH
1                           3.7        6
2                           7.4        12
3                           14.9       24
4                           29.8       48
5                           59.2       96
6                           119.3      192
7                           238.6      384
8                           477.2      768
9                           954.4      1536
10                          1908.8     3072

Ramming (SR5, p. 203)
Ramming is resisted with Body + (Armor -6). For game purposes let's assume Body 4, Armor 9 for Joe Shadowrunner. He's rolling 7 dice and can reasonably expect between 2-3 successes on average rolls. Let's assume he rolls hot all the time and gets 4 hits.

Dodge Scoot (Speed 3, Bod 4)
Suzuki Mirage (Speed 6, Bod 5)
Ford Americar (Speed 3, Bod 11) (Yes, it has a top speed of 30 mph)
GMC Banshee (Speed 8, Bod 20)

For these examples we're assuming the driver already "hit" with his Vehicle + reaction roll (no limit) versus a pedestrians Reaction + Intuition (no limit) or automatically succeeded against a barrier. The numbers below refer to the Damage Resistance Test.
You can Dodge too and guess what, doesn't matter if the vehicle is moving at lightspeed or 0.1 meter per Combat Turn it's just as easy or hard to get out of the way.

Scoot
Man, the scoot. In some older rules this thing could be a surprising terror because damage was entirely based on speed. Put Movement on this thing and you had yourself a small cruise missile.

-- A scoot moving at 1 meter per turn (0.74 mph) is DV 2. Null sweat, chummer your armor will soak that up.

-- A scoot moving at max running rate (c. 30 mph) is DV 4. Ok, could be hurtful I guess but probably won't even knock a chummer down. You may be asking "does the scooter stop?" Well good question. I assume it doesn't stop, because you then have to make a (rather trivial) Vehicle Test to remain in control.

Mirage
Zoom zoom. The ever-popular sport bikes.

-- Mirage at 1 meter per turn is DV 3. It may, if lucky, do some damage (at less than 1 mph, mind).

-- A Mirage moving at max running rate (c. 238 mph) should turn Joe Shadowrunner into roadkill, right? Right. DV 30 my friend, hope you have health insurance or roll hot on the Dodge test. Is that Physical damage? Good question chummer it doesn't say (I assume so). The bike takes DV 15 damage. I assume vehicles get their full armor (it doesn't say otherwise). So the Mirage rolls 11 dice, meaning it's probably going to take c. 17 damage. Note here that it doesn't matter what the bike hit, it takes DV 15. Hit a brick wall? DV 15. Hit a puppy? DV 15. Hit a fluffy mattress? DV 15.

-- Speaking or brick walls, you might want to notice that vehicles have no special rules here (that's fine). So Mirage versus brick wall: the wall is rolling 26 dice to resist your damage, for an average of 8-9 successes. So on average you are golden, chummer, blowing a 2 meter hole in the wall with your modified DV 20+. The bike takes DV 15 either way, which means it's not long for this world.

-- But what about a chain link fence? Well my friend, say goodbye to that fence because it only gets 14 dice (4-5 successes). So you're left with DV 25+ and taking out 4 or so meters of fencing.

(Note that hitting ANYTHING at top speed on the Mirage is NOT a good idea. You are also going to have problems driving through drywall because while you will blow a 10+ meter hole in the wall your bike is probably going to come unglued from the drywall/steel corrosion interaction or whatever.)

Ford Americar
Low Speed but high Body. Weird, right?

-- Moving at 1 meter per turn it will do DV 6. So an Americar will give you a decent lovetap if that soccer mom hits you when pulling out from the Stuffer Shack.

-- At the absolutely monstrous top speed of 30 mph the tires will be smoking, the RPM meter is firmly buried in the red, you can feel the raw power of the lawnmower engine that moves this beast at almost a THIRD highway speed. Whoah, chummer, you might want to scale back on this beast before your grandma chases you down on her electric scooter and gives you a ticket for reckless driving. With a maniacal laugh you plow into the first unlucky shadowrunner you see (they're everywhere man, like cockroaches). Take THAT criminal scum, taste .... DV 11 POWAH. Boom, that shadowrunner is runnin' scared now boyo, because if he gets hit that's 7 or so damage and he goes flying off the hood (to no game effect) and then shrugs his armored shoulders and goes about his day like getting hit by a "speeding" Americar is his thing. CURSES!

-- Be wary of taking the Americar against even chain link fences by the way, you could LOSE (your modified DV will be less than its Armor on a good resistance roll unless you rack up more hits). Hell, you can barely ram through furniture (and yes you could be stopped by the Armor of furniture). At least your Body and Armor can cancel the DV 6 hit from destroying some Ikea chairs.

GMC Banshee
Party like it's 2050 choombata!
Whoo break out the panzers and the Walter Jon Williams lawsuits because let's go ramming shit with this beast. Booya top speed of holy shit 950 mph. That's Mach 1.2 at sea level my friends. For what amounts to a flying brick. And it can remain balanced at that speed even moving a turret around and launching drones and shit because reasons. Technology, my friends. The Banshee has it, and it doesn't even have wireless bonuses yet. So how does the Banshee do against armored Joe Shadowrunner and that fiendish brick wall that has stymied many a lesser vehicle?

-- Well Joe Shadowrunner would be shitting his pants at the sound of this thing, except for the fact that you Dodge a Mach 1.2 panzer just as easily (or as difficult) as a scoot going 1 mph. Matrix reflexes mothafukka! Hear that thing coming I'm doing the limbo while the Banshee goes screaming off to try and make another pass (presumably the next Combat Turn if your GM isn't paying attention to spatial configurations).

-- So the Banshee is crawling along at 1 meter per turn. It's Sneaking man. The Banshee is like the ultimate urban predator. Hear that sound in the alley? Could be a Banshee creeping up to nudge you for DV 10. That's right chummer, if this thing even TOUCHES you it could be goodnight unless you are tough as nails and the operator was asleep at the rig. So when the Banshee hits you at less than 1 mph it will put your ass in the dirt unless you are tough and pretty damn lucky. The Banshee takes DV 5 but I wouldn't even bother rolling for that.

-- How about Mach 1.2 right up your drekhole? Well, the Banshee will eat you. It will flip you over and hit your weak spot for maximum damage; it will boom headshot (headram?) you; soon you will be pushing up daisies in the Barrens; in one Combat Turn and a bad Dodge roll your character will be joining the Choir Invisible. You will (almost) cease to be as you are reduced to a shower of gore and unfulfilled dreams. If your GM was really nice the spot where you died to the Banshee will be a Background Count 1 spot just to stick it to those damn Awakened. Take THAT, wagemage! At max speed you are doing DV 200. Yes, two-hundred smackers. You're also TAKING DV 100 if you so much as clip a bird (hey man, that's collision damage rules as written, suck it up panzerjock, at least you killed the bird). I won't even bother going over the damage. You're Dead Jim. You're so far past overflow damage that the other players will have to pour out their Mountain Dew on your character sheet to give their final respects because there's nothing left to even sell to the bodybank. Hell, if you character sheet explodes in a flash of fire, don't be surprised. That's how far past overflow you are. The very memory of your character may be erased. It's like he never existed chummer. Who are we even talking about? EXACTLY.

-- But how about those walls? Where the Banshee is going it won't NEED walls. Fuck walls. 1.21 gigawatts of ramming power is in these turbines. The Banshee looks at walls and goes "I don't see a wall." And then it instantly blows up as soon as it crashes through one. EXPLOSIONS! Chummer, see that blast bunker? Well it's rolling about 40 dice on the low end to resist our ramming power. The Banshee don't care. The Banshee is averaging about DV 180 even after that. That bunker is DONE FOR. Hell, you're going to be knocking 10+ meter HOLES in that bunker. And then to top it off you explode, so break out those even crazier chunky salsa explosion rules for whatever was inside.

FUCK YOU PHYSICS, NOTHING CAN STOP THE BANSHEE
-- Don't think your Banshee will explode? Chummer I have some sad news for you. You see, your Banshee is taking DV 100 from that death AND glory attack. The Banshee at best is rolling 38 dice to resist, so cut to a montage sequence showing the life of your rigger flashing before their eyes and then sad music starts playing. If you're lucky it will pan over to the troll teammate who has a single manly tear rolling down his face, and when asked if he's crying he will say "Nah chummer, I musta' got sumthin' in ma' eye." Roll credits.

TLDR Here Are Some Questions
  • Does Ramming do Physical damage? (I assume so)
  • Is Dodging modified by vehicle speed? (it's not currently)
  • Do you stop after a successful ram? What about an unsuccessful one?
  • A Body 1 drone moving at Mach 20 only does DV 10. I assume it's intentional that kinetic energy doesn't come into play in any way here. smile.gif
DeathStrobe
Hm...weaponized Banshees... That's a very expensive missile to fire, but it would be cool to be a rigger and pilot it from the ground. Sure you'll suffer dumpshock, and another question is if you'll have to resist the biofeedback too...'cause that'll probably flatline you even in cold sim VR. But if you switch modes just before the crash, you have a very expensive and impractical dragon slayer weapon and you might even be able to live to tell the tale.
Tzeentch
Major Hector Mendoza should have brushed up on the ramming rules. If he had, that would have made the battle against Sirrugh a lot shorter.
Umidori
I'm highly confused.

What the frag are you talking about with things like "the bike is probably going to get at least 9 net hits" and "So Mirage versus brick wall. You probably won't even get a single net hit even ramming it at over 200 mph"?

The bike doesn't roll anything except damage resistance. The driver does. They roll Vehicle Skill + Reaction. The target gets a chance to dodge and rolls Reaction + Intuition if a pedestrian, Reaction + Intuition [Handling] if a vehicle, and nothing if a Barrier, as they can't dodge.

If you want to ram a brick wall with a Suzuki Mirage, you automatically succeed unless you critically glitch, because the Ram is treated like a Melee Attack, in this case Destroying A Barrier, and the wall can't dodge.

If you want to ram a person or a vehicle, you roll against their standard Melee Dodge. If they dodge, you miss. If they don't, you hit and calculate damage.

Where are you getting all these different things about different vehicles getting net hits on the ram test? The damage resistance stuff I get, but not your numbers regarding the ramming test itself.

If you drive a Mirage full speed into a wall, you're gonna do DV 30 (+ Net Hits on the the Vehicle Skill + Reaction roll of the pilot) to the wall, which it stages down with 10 Structure + 16 Armor, averaging about 9 hits, inflicting 21+ damage, and creating a 2 square meter hole in the wall. Then the bike itself has to stage down half of that amount with it's 5 Body and 6 Armor, averaging about 4 hits, taking 11+ damage, totaling the bike. The pilot also has to resist the same amount of damage as the bike with their own Body + Armor + Modifiers, so they're probably in Physical Overflow at this point.

Oh, and you don't make a Vehicle Test to remain in control of the bike. For one thing, the bike no longer exists once you ram that wall. For another thing, the driver probably doesn't either. And finally, the GM has the power to simply state that a vehicle has crashed for whatever reason. This is one of those times.

~Umi
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jul 14 2013, 09:36 PM) *
The bike doesn't roll anything except damage resistance. The driver does. They roll Vehicle skill + Reaction. The target rolls Reaction + Intuition if a pedestrian, Reaction + Intuition [Handling] if a vehicle, and nothing if a Barrier.

-- Like I said in the first post, I assume you already succeeded at the hitting part (after Dodge and all that jazz). All the rolling in the examples is for damage from the ram itself. I'll make it more clear in the opener.
Umidori
You don't roll for damage after hitting. You calculate it. It's a flat value of Body x (Speed Multiplier) + Net Hits from the Ram Test.

The Mirage hitting the brick wall doesn't get 30 dice to roll to determine damage (which I assume is how you got 9-11 hits average). It just has a base damage of 30, which then gets boosted by 1 for each net hit the pilot had on the Ramming Test. For a guy with Pilot Ground Vehicles 3 and a Reaction of 7, that's 3 extra damage on average. The brick wall stages down 33 damage, the bike stages down 16 or 17 (not sure how it rounds), and the driver stages down the same as the bike. End of story.

It's exactly like hitting someone with a baseball bat. The bat does a flat amount of damage (calculated from the weilder's Strength, in this case let's say 9P), which then gets boosted by 1 for each net hit the attacker had on the Clubs Test. You do not roll extra damage dice equal to the bat's DV of 9 and add the hits to the damage total, which is the sort of thing you seem to be doing with the vehicle ramming. You just calculate the damage, and the victim resists it.

~Umi
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jul 14 2013, 10:00 PM) *
You don't roll for damage after hitting. You calculate it. It's a flat value of Body x (Speed Multiplier) + Net Hits from the Ram Test.

Derp. That's what I get for skipping SR4. I think I fixed all the examples. So no more possibility of bouncing off tanks you straight up explode on contact.
Umidori
It looks sane now! Huzzah! "Good jorb!", as they say.

~Umi
BishopMcQ
Tzeentch--I was laughing until it hurt with the Banshee. Thank you for restoring my faith.
Blade
That post was a lot of fun, thank you. smile.gif
CeeJay
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jul 14 2013, 10:27 PM) *
SR5 ramming ridiculousness.

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
Thank you very much for that one.

-CJ

cryptoknight
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jul 14 2013, 08:33 PM) *
Tzeentch--I was laughing until it hurt with the Banshee. Thank you for restoring my faith.

The Banshee is apparently the new Thor Javelin. No need for a satellite to fire them down on dragons... Just put a few circling Banshees at high altitude and call one down as necessary.
Sendaz
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Jul 15 2013, 06:08 AM) *
The Banshee is apparently the new Thor Javelin. No need for a satellite to fire them down on dragons... Just put a few circling Banshees at high altitude and call one down as necessary.

*singing 'It's Raining Ban(shee)'* with apologies to The Weather Girls
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 15 2013, 06:01 AM) *
*singing 'It's Raining Ban(shee)'* with apologies to The Weather Girls

I'm so sorry.

Hi - Hi! We're your Weather Girls - Ah-huh -
And have we got news for you - You better listen!
Get ready, all you lonely girls
and leave those respirators at home. - Alright! -

Overwatch is rising - Safety's getting low
According to all sources, the street's the place to go
Cause tonight for the first time
Just about half-past ten
For the first time in history
It's gonna start raining Banshees!

It's Raining Banshees! Hallelujah! - It's Raining Banshees! Amen!
I'm gonna go out to run and let myself get
Absolutely clear of Ground Zero!
It's Raining Banshees! Hallelujah!
It's Raining Banshees! Every VTOL!
Large, humming, dark and lean
Fast and tough and explosive and mean

God bless Mother Necessity, she's running too
She took off to heaven and she did what she had to do
She taught every rigger to rearrange the sky
So that each and every rigger could find their escape route
It's Raining Banshees! Hallelujah!
It's Raining Banshees! Ame---------nnnn!

I feel humming engines / Moving in, about to begin
Hear the sonic boom / Don't you lose your head
Take cover and run for your bed!

God bless Mother Necessity, she's running too
She took off to heaven and she did what she had to do
She taught every rigger to rearrange the sky
So that each and every rigger could find their escape route
It's Raining Banshees! Yeah!

Overwatch is rising - Safety's getting low
According to all sources, the street's the place to go
Cause tonight for the first time
Just about half-past ten
For the first time in history
It's gonna start raining Banshe~es!

It's Raining Banshees! Hallelujah! - It's Raining Banshees!
Sendaz
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

A few rough spots as its hard getting the words to fit sometimes, but a damn fine job overall smile.gif

Need to put together a SR cover CD of best running songs. Maybe even get some live people to sing these , unfortunately not myself as past attempts have been compared to the sound of a live cat dying in a meat grinder.

Bet we can even coerce Opti and his Anarchist broadcast to air it. nyahnyah.gif
Makki
so what if my Body 10 troll is rampaging through a crowd on his rollerskates? Assuming he doesn't take swings, he is more or less ramming people.
CeeJay
It's interesting that ramming damage only derives from the ramming vehicle's speed and not from relative speed.

Imagine a game of chicken between me on my scoot and Roadmaster. We collide frontally at top speed. Now, if it was the Roadmaster that did the ramming, I'm reduced to a red spot on the road, but if I somehow time it so, that I am the ramming person, we will both escaped virtually unharmed...
And to add insult to (none)injury, the Roadmaster's driver has to make the harder crash test. smile.gif

-CJ
Draco18s
QUOTE (Makki @ Jul 15 2013, 09:10 AM) *
so what if my Body 10 troll is rampaging through a crowd on his rollerskates? Assuming he doesn't take swings, he is more or less ramming people.

That's what, Speed 1?
He'd be like a Banshee in slow-mo. Tapping people for 10 DV and resisting 5.
Nath
QUOTE (CeeJay @ Jul 15 2013, 04:21 PM) *
It's interesting that ramming damage only derives from the ramming vehicle's speed and not from relative speed.

Imagine a game of chicken between me on my scoot and Roadmaster. We collide frontally at top speed. Now, if it was the Roadmaster that did the ramming, I'm reduced to a red spot on the road, but if I somehow time it so, that I am the ramming person, we will both escaped virtually unharmed...
And to add insult to (none)injury, the Roadmaster's driver has to make the harder crash test. smile.gif
It would be settled by initiative score and who get to move "first". It's a sort of subset of Zeno's Paradox.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Nath @ Jul 15 2013, 09:34 AM) *
It would be settled by initiative score and who get to move "first". It's a sort of subset of Zeno's Paradox.

Good ol' Zeno.

Also, I'm starting to formulate better crash rules, involving the differences of body (and speed) because hitting a pigeon should involve no change in speed to the Banshee (therefore no damage) because the mass of the pigeon is so small.

(That whole F=MA thing)
Seerow
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 15 2013, 02:29 PM) *
That's what, Speed 1?
He'd be like a Banshee in slow-mo. Tapping people for 10 DV and resisting 5.

I'd give him speed 2 or 3 looking at that chart. Aren't skates in Shadowrun something like base move speed x2-4? Pretty sure 30mph isn't unreasonable at all.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Seerow @ Jul 15 2013, 09:55 AM) *
I'd give him speed 2 or 3 looking at that chart. Aren't skates in Shadowrun something like base move speed x2-4? Pretty sure 30mph isn't unreasonable at all.

I'm not actually sure what the top speed of a troll on skates would be.
Sendaz
Next on Mythbusters

The Myth of the Rollerblading Troll squashed my Americar......
RelentlessImp
"We're gonna have to call this one..."

*Giant CONFIRMED stamp hits screen*
Seerow
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 15 2013, 03:13 PM) *
I'm not actually sure what the top speed of a troll on skates would be.

Didn't they change movement speed so it's based on agility now? Anyone know that formula? Also are skates or cyberskates in the core book at all, or do we have to wait for a gear book for that?
Modular Man
Oh well, that was hilarious smile.gif

Ramming with big things still seems to be the way to kill dragons, but it's gotten somewhat expensive.

Recently advised a member of our gaming group to definitely make sure to dodge the oncoming vehicle hellbent on destroying us, as in SR4A a car of body 15 going over 60 metres per round is not funny...
Blade
I think the lower speed of the Americar is the way the writers found to solve the "runners making more money selling Americar than running". Now, nobody will want to buy the Americars: problem solved.

This would be in line with the way wireless bonuses solve problems.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Jul 15 2013, 11:58 AM) *
Oh well, that was hilarious smile.gif

Ramming with big things still seems to be the way to kill dragons, but it's gotten somewhat expensive.

Recently advised a member of our gaming group to definitely make sure to dodge the oncoming vehicle hellbent on destroying us, as in SR4A a car of body 15 going over 60 metres per round is not funny...

Reminds me of the SR novel 'Wolf & Raven' with one of the short stories starting with Wolf running down an alley trying to outpace the car barrelling down on him that had the intention of to as he put it 'give him a steelbelted massage'. wink.gif
Tzeentch
I posted this in Errata, but it might be interesting here as well:

FAST ENOUGH TO TURN BACK TIME
A critter uses the Movement power on a Eurocar Westwind (Speed 7, Accel 3, Bod 10). The threshold for the critter's Magic + Willpower is 5. A Force 4 Spirit of Air (p. 303) rolls 8 dice (and will probably use a point of edge to bring that to 10 dice with 6 again). It's a pretty weak spirit so needs to get a decent roll to affect the Westwind at all. However, lets assume it gets 5 hits. Just barely enough to meet the threshold. Here's where it goes off the rails.

The Speed of the vehicle in the next Combat Turn increases to (Acceleration x Hits) + Speed = (3x5)+6 = 21. Yes. Speed 21. Chummer. You thought the Banshee was moving fast at Mach 1.2. Well that spirit just accelerated the Westwind to (gulp!) 5,242,880 meters per Combat Turn. That's not a typo. The Westwind can now travel at 3,909,266.091 miles per hour. Almost four MILLION miles per hour.

-- I think I got the rules right on this.

Edit: Oops its actually Speed 22 for 7818532.181 mph.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jul 15 2013, 03:16 PM) *
I posted this in Errata, but it might be interesting here as well:

FAST ENOUGH TO TURN BACK TIME
A critter uses the Movement power on a Eurocar Westwind (Speed 7, Accel 3, Bod 10). The threshold for the critter's Magic + Willpower is 5. A Force 4 Spirit of Air (p. 303) rolls 8 dice (and will probably use a point of edge to bring that to 10 dice with 6 again). It's a pretty weak spirit so needs to get a decent roll to affect the Westwind at all. However, lets assume it gets 5 hits. Just barely enough to meet the threshold. Here's where it goes off the rails.

The Speed of the vehicle in the next Combat Turn increases to (Acceleration x Hits) + Speed = (3x5)+6 = 21. Yes. Speed 21. Chummer. You thought the Banshee was moving fast at Mach 1.2. Well that spirit just accelerated the Westwind to (gulp!) 5,242,880 meters per Combat Turn. That's not a typo. The Westwind can now travel at 3,909,266.091 miles per hour. Almost four MILLION miles per hour.

-- I think I got the rules right on this.

Edit: Oops its actually Speed 22 for 7818532.181 mph.

So what is the damage if it hits something? biggrin.gif And how far off could we still see the blast and feel the shockwave? Because at that sort of speed, we are past Thor shot, past Killer Comets.. its gonna be big nyahnyah.gif

So if we are going to ram something with a Banshee, have the spirits speed it up a bit more wink.gif
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 15 2013, 09:18 PM) *
So what is the damage if it hits something? biggrin.gif

Bob the spirit casts Movement on the prized Eurowind owned by his summoner. "Oh, I can get around town faster with the spirit at my back", thought Bob mere nanoseconds before disaster struck. The instant the spirit used Movement and he pressed the gas pedal the Eurowind travelled from the starting location to the nearest Devil Rat innocently looking for scraps on the road in literally less than the time it took the nerve signals to pass from mages eyes to his brain. However, the Ramming Damage Table (p. 203) only goes up to 501+ meters per Combat Turn. The Eurocar is moving at 10,485,760 meters per Combat Turn.

In any case that poor Devil Rat takes a DV 50 hit and the car takes a DV 25 hit. That's quite a lot. But consider it struck that Devil Rat like the fist of angry god. Superman himself went "Damn son, that's overkill!" The Rat goes squeeling into the Great Beyond to meet its maker. Amusingly the driver of the car automatically has the reaction times of Hermes because he has the piece of mind to actually get to roll to avoid losing control. If the Eurocar survives, a millisecond later it will probably hit something more substantial than the Rat.
Skynet
Just to be precise: in a femtosecond he only moves by a negligible distance.
[ Spoiler ]

Also there is a thread with a bit more logical ramming-rules if you're interested (though it's not quite as hilarious as this one).
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Skynet @ Jul 15 2013, 09:39 PM) *
Just to be precise: in a femtosecond he only moves a few centimeters.

Also there is a thread with a bit more logical ramming-rules if you're interested (though it's not quite as hilarious as this one).

Changed to millisecond smile.gif

Aye, I've been reading that thread. As people have noted, Shadowrun has NEVER had good ramming rules for various reasons (partly because it was seen as so tangential and edge case), and the way damage works there's not a lot of space between "oh, you clipped that guy good but got a dent on the bumper!" to "oh, you clipped that guy but your car is now reduced to -20 boxes."
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jul 15 2013, 12:28 PM) *
In any case that poor Devil Rat takes a DV 50 hit and the car takes a DV 25 hit. That's quite a lot. But consider it struck that Devil Rat like the fist of angry god. Superman himself went "Damn son, that's overkill!" The Rat goes squeeling into the Great Beyond to meet its maker.

That sounds like a critical kill quote from Fallout 2.
Veggiesama
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jul 14 2013, 03:27 PM) *
Ford Americar
Low Speed but high Body. Weird, right?

-- Moving at 1 meter per turn it will do DV 6. So an Americar will give you a decent lovetap if that soccer mom hits you when pulling out from the Stuffer Shack.

-- At the absolutely monstrous top speed of 30 mph the tires will be smoking, the RPM meter is firmly buried in the red, you can feel the raw power of the lawnmower engine that moves this beast at almost a THIRD highway speed. Whoah, chummer, you might want to scale back on this beast before your grandma chases you down on her electric scooter and gives you a ticket for reckless driving. With a maniacal laugh you plow into the first unlucky shadowrunner you see (they're everywhere man, like cockroaches). Take THAT criminal scum, taste .... DV 11 POWAH. Boom, that shadowrunner is runnin' scared now boyo, because if he gets hit that's 7 or so damage and he goes flying off the hood (to no game effect) and then shrugs his armored shoulders and goes about his day like getting hit by a "speeding" Americar is his thing. CURSES!

-- Be wary of taking the Americar against even chain link fences by the way, you could LOSE (your modified DV will be less than its Armor on a good resistance roll unless you rack up more hits). Hell, you can barely ram through furniture (and yes you could be stopped by the Armor of furniture). At least your Body and Armor can cancel the DV 6 hit from destroying some Ikea chairs.

I think it's amusing that the Americar's top speed appears to be 30 mph, but remember the Speed => m/turn conversion table is found in the Tactical Combat section of the vehicle rules. That means this conversion is not necessary for chase combat, because there Speed is used as a limit for Speed Environments.

It's possible that the 30 mph limit in tactical combat is a way to handle narrower environments, turning rates, and other considerations without having to worry about calculating turn degrees and acceleration rates. 30 mph in any direction is possibly the most a bulky Americar can meaningfully navigate in the span of 3 seconds. If it was already moving before tactical combat began, and intends to keep heading straight, then the GM has the power to adjust and tweak the numbers for the sake of narrative (p202: "The gamemaster should use their own discretion when determining just how quickly a car can change speeds between Combat Turns."). In chase combat, exact speeds and distances are abstracted out by making the Americar perform poorly in Speed environments, like speeding down a desert highway.

But what about its true max speed? Doesn't matter, but if it does, then GM prerogative. In a sidebar on page 200, it reads:
[G]amemasters who want more precise information for their game can investigate real-world equivalents for top speed or cruising speed.

Below that, it mentions that 80-120 kph (~50-75 mph) is the average speed for ground craft on the GridGuide. Most cars must then be able to hit those speeds, at least. Can they go faster? Probably, but that would be good grounds for a Vehicular Stunt test.
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Veggiesama @ Jul 15 2013, 11:18 PM) *
But what about its true max speed? Doesn't matter, but if it does, then GM prerogative. In a sidebar on page 200, it reads:

-- Well, it does matter in the current rules (at least for a few mechanics). I suspect there were at least two major iterations of the vehicle rules and they were not completely reconciled (e.g. the wording of the Movement power regarding vehicles).
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 15 2013, 04:18 PM) *
So what is the damage if it hits something? biggrin.gif And how far off could we still see the blast and feel the shockwave? Because at that sort of speed, we are past Thor shot, past Killer Comets.. its gonna be big nyahnyah.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtw7qW7Vcw

-k
Mantis
Damn, but this is a funny thread. I beleive Veggiesama is correct in what the rules state for the intentiono of the vehicle rules but actual application, wow. Just wow.
Sendaz
Next on Top Gear, Ricky Hammond and Jerald Clarkson convince CyberStig 5.0 to try out the new Astral Martin with its revolutionary new E(lemental)-6 engine to test out its claims of 0-60 in 0.00000001 seconds and see how well it handles.
Tzeentch
As pointed out on the errata thread:

DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? I'M THE RIGGER!
For further Ramming and Speed hilarity, note the Control Rig (p. 452): "Additionally, the rating of your control rig is added to the Handling and Speed of any vehicle you are jumped into."

At chargen about the best you can do for ground vehicles is use a Rating 2 Control Rig with a Shin-Hyung for 477 mph top speed (yawn). BUT if you rig a Westwind it can now travel at 954 mph (interesting note, that's just as fast as the fastest at-chargen starting aircraft - the Venture- with the same rig).
Skynet
You can get a second-hand control rig 3 (just don't mind the leftover grey bits on it and the AR-interface hardcoded to chinese wink.gif ).
Muspellsheimr
Okay, I decided to do some (pretty basic) numbercrunching for fun.

The Banshee has a Body of 20, and so requires a minimum of ten hits for a spirit's Movement power to affect it. It has an Acceleration of 4, so it is gaining, at minimum, +40 Speed, putting it at a solid 48.

Or 1,041,457,413,829,427.20 miles per hour.
Equivalent to ~1.55 million times the speed of light.

If you add in a rating 2 control rig just for the hell of it, you are going at over six million times the speed of light at a Speed of 50 nyahnyah.gif
RelentlessImp
I'm reading this. And what I'm coming away with is:

Banshees modified for space travel, with a really powerful bound spirit or free spirit, is now the basis for manned space exploration beyond our solar system. Someone get Ares Macrotechnology's Aerospace division on this, now; they could have a space station with a solid manasphere by 2080.
Sendaz
ORCS IN SPAAAAACCCCEEEEE

Though considering the Spirits can not survive the astral void of space any better than us, it would be one massive kick to launch with and just regular boosters for steering after unless you can find a habitable planet to stop and resummon at. nyahnyah.gif

But it would be no different than the old slingshot mag launcher idea really so definitely could be useful.
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 17 2013, 02:48 AM) *
ORCS IN SPAAAAACCCCEEEEE

Though considering the Spirits can not survive the astral void of space any better than us, it would be one massive kick to launch with and just regular boosters for steering after unless you can find a habitable planet to stop and resummon at. nyahnyah.gif

But it would be no different than the old slingshot mag launcher idea really so definitely could be useful.

My thinking was that Line of Sight in SPAAAAAAACE! is pretty unlimited along the same plane, so the spirit could sustain the Movement power from the station indefinitely.

EDIT: Obviously you have a space station with a workable manasphere, a really powerful Spirit capable of getting 10 hits on Movement while in a ludicrous Background Count on that station (just a few steps away from 'Void'), and the station is in a stationary orbit so the Spirit has unobstructed line of sight along that plane that the Banshee is traveling along.
Sendaz
Not sure how powers work across the void to be honest, but if the spirit is being supported by the base it could possibly be done, though I suspect the further out the vehicle gets the weaker the power will be.

Be worth looking at anyway.

Now all we need are a few orc volunteers, a spaceworthy Banshee and one hell of a spirit raised for the trial runs. wink.gif
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 17 2013, 02:08 AM) *
Not sure how powers work across the void to be honest, but if the spirit is being supported by the base it could possibly be done, though I suspect the further out the vehicle gets the weaker the power will be.

I guess it depends on whether Background Count affects the caster, or the spell; I assume it affects only the caster. Otherwise you'd need a what, Force 22 Spirit? (Using SR4A's 'Void' background count of -12.) Force high enough to score 10 hits to affect the Banshee in a -8 environment (space station with a working manasphere), so at least Force 18, Force 22 to continue maintaining the power in the -12 BGC of deep space. Again, working off SR4A's numbers.

EDIT: On further reflection, you'd need a Force 48 Spirit to do this reliably, who can buy the ten hits needed to affect the Banshee. 52 if the BGC affects the Power itself. As the space station's manasphere grows and pushes back the void's background count, you can downstep the spirit's strength, but even the Mars station has a BGC of -8 and has tons of flora to encourage the growth of the manasphere over a wider area than a space station small enough to sit in a lagrangian point for stationary orbit.
Tzeentch
Remember that spirits have Force/2 Edge, which could be of use in this.
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jul 17 2013, 02:44 AM) *
Remember that spirits have Force/2 Edge, which could be of use in this.

I also remember that Spirits don't like using Edge for you. So either it's an Ally Spirit, or you've got a Spirit Pact. And frag trying to get a Force 48 spirit to do either, much less a Force 52. The lowest you could conceivably get away with is an 18 or 22, and those are hard enough.
Muspellsheimr
plaid

A bit more precise math, a 'running' vehicle with a speed of 50 (or a 'walking' vehicle with a speed of 51) travels at 6,259,329.165 x c, or 0.1983 light years per combat turn. Increased to a speed of 52 (extra hit for the spirit, 2 rating higher control rig, or similar), and you are up to ~0.8 light years per 3 second increment. At a speed of 54, you are at 3.2 light year increments.

Now, if you can find a 'void' spirit, the movement power can be sustained indefinitely, assuming the Banshee never enters a planetary atmosphere or similar non-space environment. Failing that, a spirit of man accompanying the ship should be able to maintain it, but will need to be of considerably higher Force to deal with the penalties of a mana void. While spirits of the power to sustain this reliably might as well not exist for all practical purposes, I am confidant a megacorporation has the resources to both summon such a spirit and bind it to a specific task (maintaining Movement) for a year* for something like taking a vacation on the other side of the milky way.

*at a glance, I am not seeing this karma option in the SR5 rulebook, but I doubt it actually went away; probably just waiting for Street Magic 5.

Edit: For some actual constructive input on how the Speed attribute and Movement power should work, I would go with the following:
First change Speed to a divergent series [(X*(X+1))/2]** instead of an exponential scale [(2^(X-1))]**. While the divergent series will increase faster on the low end (1-3-6-10 vs 1-2-4-8 ), it rapidly falls behind after that point (15-21-28-36 vs 16-32-64-128). This maintains the scaling adjustment for speed, while keeping it (mostly) in hand.
Second change the Movement power to Magic + Willpower against the vehicles OR, with each net hit increasing or decreasing speed by 1 (not 1 times acceleration)

** X being the vehicle or object's speed attribute, and multiplying the final result by whatever (5 to keep in line with the current chart) meters per combat turn.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012