Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Players who NEVER learn?!?!?!?!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
A Clockwork Lime
QUOTE (BitBasher @ May 5 2004, 02:20 PM)
In my game it means you would think that the bad guy is someone who mentally bitchslaps Keyser Soze. But I'm a bastard. Confusion is a weapon sometimes! vegm.gif

Can someone explain this? I'm totally confused. A Colt Manhunter is one of the most common handguns in the game. It's like learning that someone drives a Ford Americar or something.
Austere Emancipator
Garland: Yeah well, they both start vö- nyahnyah.gif
BitBasher
I spelled it right, It just wasnt worth the effort to bring up charmap for an extra couple of elevated periods.

In a related note, a webcam site once paide me to display my umulats in a cam chat.... biggrin.gif
Phaeton
QUOTE (BitBasher)
I spelled it right, It just wasnt worth the effort to bring up charmap for an extra couple of elevated periods.

In a related note, a webcam site once paide me to display my umulats in a cam chat.... biggrin.gif

BitBasher
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ May 5 2004, 02:20 PM)
In my game it means you would think that the bad guy is someone who mentally bitchslaps Keyser Soze. But I'm a bastard. Confusion is a weapon sometimes! vegm.gif

Can someone explain this? I'm totally confused. A Colt Manhunter is one of the most common handguns in the game. It's like learning that someone drives a Ford Americar or something.

That was not in response to anything about the colt manhunter, it was in response to Solstice's line:
QUOTE (Solstics)
Ask yourself what you would think if you had no fragging clue what was going on as a player.

I should have used a quote there to show what I was referring to, my bad.
Nath
A weapon designer, living in a protected corporate housing complex with Ares laws applied inside and Seattle State outside, both not really strict about firearms, with no children at home, hide his gun in his socket drawer?

O B V I O U S silly.gif

Come and play: post your own theory about the Mysterious Colt Manhunter !
Phaeton
QUOTE (Nath)
A weapon designer, living in a protected corporate housing complex with Ares laws applied inside and Seattle State outside, both not really strict about firearms, with no children at home, hide his gun in his socket drawer?

O B V I O U S silly.gif

Come and play: post your own theory about the Mysterious Colt Manhunter !

I say...Colonel Mustard did it in the attic with the cyber-eggbeater! indifferent.gif nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif silly.gif
Solstice
maybe that was supposed to mean the designer knew he was going to be a hit and/or extracted? If that is true, I still fail to see the significance.
RedmondLarry
I fail to see the significance.
Solstice
He is probably afraid to post now lol biggrin.gif
Erebus
If she was aware she was about to be hit do you think she would have been out at 3AM withOUT the Colt?
Arethusa
Maybe that's her everyday carry, and when she's worried about a hit, she carries her suppressed Alpha instead?
Erebus
Exactly... She just uses the Manhunter for bedroom activity.

Solstice
ohh yeaaahhhh....I knew a girl like that once. Tantalizingly violent.
BitBasher
People use Light Pistols for the bedroom play, not Heavy Pistols. That way theres no chance of anyone accidentally getting hurt. biggrin.gif
Solstice
QUOTE (BitBasher)
People use Light Pistols for the bedroom play, not Heavy Pistols.

Your obviously not hanging with the right women omae...

grinbig.gif
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Solstice)
ohh yeaaahhhh....I knew a girl like that once. Tantalizingly violent.

SIG!
Glyph
I think the "clue" was supposed to be that the weapon designer is the female former bounty hunter who designed the Colt Manhunter (I don't have the Street Samurai Catalog any more, but I think her name was Amanda McBaine). But not every player is going to remember the shadowtalk from an old previous edition book. And finding a common heavy pistol in someone's sock drawer is not really enough of a clue to draw such conclusions from.
Kagetenshi
Tangent: for the Macusers in the audience, an umlaut is option-u and then whatever you want to add it to. ä ë ï ö ü ÿ. If you use an invalid letter afterwards, you get an orphaned umlaut and the letter. ¨t ¨r ¨w ¨s ¨d.

~J
Arethusa
Andrea McBane. And I think she's still in the CC, anyway. And, shit, not like anyone else in the world could ever have Manhunter in his sock drawer. Seriously, it's in the owner's manual.
Connor
I would think a Manhunter mounted on a plaque or something would be more of a clue than a sock drawer now that someone brings that up. The sock drawer went right over my head, that's for sure. Just too common of a thing really. Now, a Manhunter mounted on a plaque or in a special case or something, perhaps that looks a bit 'prototyped' would have been a better/more obvious clue I think.
Bob the Ninja
Perhaps the Manhunter is actually a material form for the lady's familar spirit. Also, perhaps she's not a mundane but rather a undead elven blood mage!

Noctum
OK OK I will Post damb you take a day off and everyone thinks your a chicken biggrin.gif

Ok The Info on the Extraction Target was that she was a Long time Ares Employee now in the Service of The Knight. She had deceased Parents and a Deceased Ex-Husband... "The Mystery of the Manhunter" is that why would a Corp Weapons designer that never leaves AA or AAA security need a heavy pistol for?? Why in the Sock drawer you ask... Well the truth of the matter is that she is not a weapons designer but a Knight Errent Black ops Operator, the colt is her service Peice. X is an old associate and the Johnson is anouther former Associate believed to be dead so he hired thaem to protect her. The Colt was a vague hint that something was amiss... Why hide a colt in a concealed holster inyour sock drawer in AA security??

Anyway its early in the morning and I didn't expect this much response thankyou more to come later... the SECOND HALF OF THE RUN>
Zazen
The sock drawer itself tipped me off too. I mean, if she's in AA and AAA areas all the time, why does she need socks?
Xirces
Do KE/Ares not eat their own dogfood?

The presence of the gun indicated to me that she was likely preparing for extraction and knew of the need to defend herself in the meantime.

Or maybe KE are so clever that the predicted my thought patterns and prepared...
Abstruse
ROFL that's without a doubt the vaguest of vague hints I've ever seen in my life...EVERYONE who can afford it probably carries a gun in the Shadowrun world. Gangs still go to AA and AAA areas, esp. thrill gangs made up of bored rich kids.

The Abstruse One
toturi
I think an Ares Pred would be more suitable for an Ares operative. But I think there should be a few more pistols secreted around the room (at least 2, I would imagine).

But sock drawer, come on! Be more creative, like hide the gun in the fridge or something.
TinkerGnome
Weapons designers, I imagine, would be likely to grab the heaviest piece they could. Particularly if she'd been a part of the Manhunter project at some point and wanted one around for sentimental reasons.

A "clue" that she was a black ops operative would have been when she broke the sammie's nose in three places and took her gun away from her.
Mr. Man
QUOTE (Noctum)
"The Mystery of the Manhunter" is that why would a Corp Weapons designer that never leaves AA or AAA security need a heavy pistol for??

There's only one answer: The NPC was metagaming and knew that the GM doesn't enforce the penalties of running in AA and AAA security areas on PC runners. silly.gif

Seriously though, I second the "worst hint ever" nomination. It isn't unreasonable to expect a weapons designer to be a bit more martial and paranoid than most corp drones. Since lots of suits have light pistols the next logical step is a heavy pistol.
Solstice
QUOTE (Noctum)
OK OK I will Post damb you take a day off and everyone thinks your a chicken biggrin.gif

Ok The Info on the Extraction Target was that she was a Long time Ares Employee now in the Service of The Knight. She had deceased Parents and a Deceased Ex-Husband... "The Mystery of the Manhunter" is that why would a Corp Weapons designer that never leaves AA or AAA security need a heavy pistol for?? Why in the Sock drawer you ask... Well the truth of the matter is that she is not a weapons designer but a Knight Errent Black ops Operator, the colt is her service Peice. X is an old associate and the Johnson is anouther former Associate believed to be dead so he hired thaem to protect her. The Colt was a vague hint that something was amiss... Why hide a colt in a concealed holster inyour sock drawer in AA security??

Anyway its early in the morning and I didn't expect this much response thankyou more to come later... the SECOND HALF OF THE RUN>

I'm sorry but, my God that is terrible.
Garland
QUOTE (toturi)
But sock drawer, come on! Be more creative, like hide the gun in the fridge or something.

I like a ziploc bag in the toilet tank, myself. Who the heck ever looks there?

Aside from all my players when they read this, I suppose...
Shev
I have to go with the crowd here, that wasn't much of a hint at all. No, a hint is when they accidentally hit a button near a fireplace while searching and reveal a hidden closet with all her black ops gear inside. At the least that pistol should have been an assault rifle instead, maybe hidden in a trick drawer somewhere in the apartment.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Noctum)
why would a Corp Weapons designer that never leaves AA or AAA security need a heavy pistol for??

Speaking as a person who doesn't work for a weapons manufacturer and doesn't design weapons for a living, but happens to live in a good neighborhood and owns a battle rifle, I don't see what's so odd about someone who works for a company that makes guns designing the guns that her company makes owning a gun.

Frankly, NOT finding a gun might have seemed a little odd. Most of the people I know who work in the firearms industry are not only mechanically inclined, but are fairly avid shooters (which is part of the reason they're good at things like weapons design... they have personal experience with them).
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Garland)
I like a ziploc bag in the toilet tank, myself. Who the heck ever looks there?

Anyone looking for a stash of coke.
BitBasher
Yeah, finding a maglock passkey under the sofa cushions of a RuthPoly Suit in a hatbox in the bedroom may have been better. smile.gif
Garland
QUOTE (OurTeam)
QUOTE (Garland @ May 6 2004, 08:46 AM)
I like a ziploc bag in the toilet tank, myself.  Who the heck ever looks there?

Hmmm, yeah, them too. Won't they be disappointed?
Nikoli
makes me think a small explosive charge with a photovoltaic cell for a detonator would be nice in the toilets as well...
Arethusa
QUOTE (Garland)
QUOTE (OurTeam @ May 6 2004, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (Garland @ May 6 2004, 08:46 AM)
I like a ziploc bag in the toilet tank, myself.  Who the heck ever looks there?

Hmmm, yeah, them too. Won't they be disappointed?

Why? Shit, man, now you've got a gun. That's practically free coke until you run out of bullets.

QUOTE (Nikoli)
makes me think a small explosive charge with a photovoltaic cell for a detonator would be nice in the toilets as well...

Better hope it never gets stuck on drain.
Nikoli
Super glue works wonders
Garland
This discussion fully illustrates the beauty of DSF.
Erebus
This is starting to remind me of the new Punisher movie.... as he goes around his new "home" hiding weapons everywhere.

Arethusa
It always pays to obsessively bury equipment.
BitBasher
Well it didn't do Frank a whole hell of a lot of good biggrin.gif
Erebus
If you picture the big Russian dude as a troll, it becomes a classic Shadowrun scene.

Dashifen
I'd rather not picture anything from that movie.

Anyway, I have to say that the hint was pretty vague, but I did as much and worse when I started out. You're off to a good start, Nocturne (I think that was the original poster's name). Let us know how it turns out.
Noctum
OK OK I'm an Idiot someone kill this thread... smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
Don't worry. Some people (like me nyahnyah.gif) just like to point out all mistakes, because they need to feel superior. Some people even manage to point out mistakes in a way to allow people to correct them or at least not repeat them. On this board everybody does it all the time, and everybody makes mistakes.

It is through embracing our flaws and general worthiness that we become better, although never good. That Is The Way Of Dumpshock!
Kagetenshi
I just point out mistakes because I'm sadistic.

~J
Austere Emancipator
I don't buy that. You just want others to think of you as sadistic, because that once again would prove your superiority.
Person 404
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
I don't buy that. You just want others to think of you as sadistic, because that once again would prove your superiority.

(Emphasis mine.) Huh? Last time I checked, except maybe for hardcore Nietzcheans, sadism wasn't a sign of any kind of superiority.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012