Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who owns Colt Firearms
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Mantis
So like the topic says, who owns Colt Firearms (the corporation, not the actual guns) in the SR universe? Or are they their own entity still? Looked through some books like Corporate Guide and couldn't find anything. A search for Colt on the Shadowrun Wiki just returns entries for (shudder) Kellan Colt.
Anyone know? If so, could you also tell me which book this info can be found in. Thanks.
ShadowDragon8685
I don't think it's been specified, but if they're not still their own company, I'd say they're a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ares.

I think I recall something about Colt being owned by Ares, but I can't be sure. Might've been a bit of fanon.
Sengir
Shadowhelix says it's an Ares subsidiary which stages faux competition with them, but sadly no source on either.
Critias
I wanna say Ares off the top of my head, yeah.
Nath
As far as I know, no on has ever been able to give a source for an Ares ownership of Colt even once in the ten years I spent on Dumpshock, and I strongly suspect, having thoroughly checked over fifty sourcebooks for corporate data and read twice as much, that's because such source does not exist.

The closest it ever came to was that the Ares catalog featured in the Street Samurai Catalog did include Colt products. But since it also had Beretta, Shin Chou Kyogo, Fabrique Nationale and Northrup gear, while other sources established these companies as not Ares-owned, it proves nothing.

I guess one day a freelancer will finally decide to clearly put it and settle things for good.
Mantis
I checked the Corporate Guide and, as it lists who owns brands like FN (Monobe, pg 213 CG) and Cavalier (Neo-Net, pg 122 CG) but not who owns Colt, that Ares does not own Colt. Since none of the other megas own it either, I suppose it is still it's own thing still. Thanks for checking.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Nath @ Jun 16 2014, 01:55 PM) *
As far as I know, no on has ever been able to give a source for an Ares ownership of Colt even once in the ten years I spent on Dumpshock, and I strongly suspect, having thoroughly checked over fifty sourcebooks for corporate data and read twice as much, that's because such source does not exist.

The closest it ever came to was that the Ares catalog featured in the Street Samurai Catalog did include Colt products. But since it also had Beretta, Shin Chou Kyogo, Fabrique Nationale and Northrup gear, while other sources established these companies as not Ares-owned, it proves nothing.

I guess one day a freelancer will finally decide to clearly put it and settle things for good.

AFAIK, Colt is a solo company. James'd be the authority on the matter, but as far as I know, COlt is a target Ares would *like* but has never managed to snag.

(Which reminds me. I need to get two new Colt weapons published.)
CaptRory
Like the double Colt 1911? Oooooooh~
Mantis
QUOTE (CaptRory @ Jun 16 2014, 07:50 PM) *

This is definitely a case of just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just, why?
Wakshaani
QUOTE (CaptRory @ Jun 16 2014, 08:50 PM) *

KINDa sorta maybe but not quite.
Wakshaani
You did make me go look up an old favorite video, tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VVOH7Ep_8w
CaptRory
Hahaha, yeah, that's a good video. =-3
Mantis
Yeah pretty good. The one where the guy bops himself in the face with over powered revolver is pretty good too. Wonder how many broken collarbones or shoulder joints came out of this thing.
CaptRory
Hahaha yeah~ That one is hilarious sn't that the Nitro Express or something?

Prolly quite a few!
Neraph
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 16 2014, 04:29 AM) *
I wanna say Ares off the top of my head, yeah.

I swear I read an off-handed comment that it was a subsidiary. Maybe in Shadowtalk somewhere or something...

EDIT:
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Jun 16 2014, 11:04 PM) *
You did make me go look up an old favorite video, tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VVOH7Ep_8w

After receiving proper marksmanship lessons I can identify a few issues that'd probably help those shooters: 1) a proper standing stance, not that crappy whateverthehell they're doing would give them a heck of a lot more stability in the standing, 2) a frigging loop-sling would probably help out a hell of a lot.
psychophipps
And the correct answer is, "Whoever the hell the GM says owns it"...
CaptRory
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Jun 18 2014, 08:27 PM) *
And the correct answer is, "Whoever the hell the GM says owns it"...

Bullet Gnomes
psychophipps
QUOTE (CaptRory @ Jun 18 2014, 08:35 PM) *
Bullet Gnomes

As long as the guns do the job, it could be owned by Syphilitic Ninja Vampires for all I care.
CaptRory
I think I would walk around on fire to keep those sorts of ninjas away. Specifically I'd be on fire an smell like roasting garlic.
hermit
I'd suspect Colt is a semi-independent company, relating to Ares like H&K relates to Saeder-Krupp. But there's no clear source; while the SSC gives hints that Colt weapons in the Ares catalogue are not livcensed or proxy sales, it doesn't say anything clearly.
Neraph
I could've sworn it's an aside during a weapon description somewhere.
hermit
My gut keeps telling me the same thing. In a Gun Heaven file maybe. Hm ...
Nath
Gun H(e)aven (and Arsenal) are by far the easiest possible source to dismiss, thanks to the PDF search function. Try again.
Sendaz
I have seen a German Wiki lists Colt as a subdivision of Ares here: http://shadowiki.de/Ares_Arms, but as it does not provide any reference as to the source of the information for that particular tidbit it may well be part of the altered German canon or just assumed.

Still slowly working though links and such to see if something turns up...
Sengir
QUOTE (Nath @ Jul 2 2014, 08:33 PM) *
Gun H(e)aven (and Arsenal) are by far the easiest possible source to dismiss, thanks to the PDF search function. Try again.

Hint: Ctrl+Shift+F (In Adobe Reader) wink.gif
hermit
I have seen a German Wiki lists Colt as a subdivision of Ares here: http://shadowiki.de/Ares_Arms, but as it does not provide any reference as to the source of the information for that particular tidbit it may well be part of the altered German canon or just assumed.

Oh, that reference would be me, going by the SSC.
Mantis
Where does it say in the SSC that Ares owns Colt? There are a bunch of different weapon manufacturers featured in the SSC and they aren't all owned by Ares.
hermit
Npo, but others are said to have their product featured or some such thing. I'm not saying it's defninite proof, though. More of a vague hint.
Mantis
Well as Colt isn't listed as a subsidiary of Ares in the Corporate Guide, I'm going to go with it being its own thing. I'd rather not go with vague hints when several of the other weapon manufacturers are outright stated to be owned by this or that mega-corp.
hermit
The listing in the corp guide is far from a complete overview of Ares' canon holdings, though.
Fatum
I usually go with Nath's Corporate Index for all my ownership determination needs, and there it's listed as independent.
Haven't seen Nath being wrong yet :ь
Sendaz
That is a sweet piece of excel sorting, that will be very handy!

Only downside is the sources listed on the line for Colt are just for the weapons, again nothing is said in those pieces for or against it being owned by another parent company.

But it does seem pretty likely Colt is just Colt or something would have cropped up by now.

Fatum
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 4 2014, 11:06 PM) *
That is a sweet piece of excel sorting, that will be very handy!
Yeah, a few documents like that are referenced from my archive.
Remnar
I own a couple Colts... They make a fine 1911.

Oh, Shadowrun, right.

I go with independent on account of the fact that they are listed as their own brand (i.e. Colt Manhunter, Cobra, etc) instead of an Ares. Always was my interpretation.
hermit
Independent brand says nothing about the status of a company. Bentley is it's own, independent brand, but really owned by much less glamorous Volkswagen, for instance (as are Lamborghini and Bugatti).
Sendaz
Plus in Real world marketing it is not uncommon to find two 'rival' companies are actually both owned by the same parent company which use the supposed rivalry to play on brand loyalty and such.

However, nothing in canon has ever turned up linking Colt to any sort of parent company so odds still favor it being an independent company until shown otherwise.
Fatum
Well, seeing as how Ares sells Mostrans Vodnik hovercraft under its own brand in North America, I'd say the brands used are pretty much meaningless, yeah.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 12 2014, 05:16 PM) *
Well, seeing as how Ares sells Mostrans Vodnik hovercraft under its own brand in North America, I'd say the brands used are pretty much meaningless, yeah.

There's nothing new about that.
Sendaz
*Blows dust off the thread*

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015...s-bankrupt.html

A good time to get your own Firearms company maybe? biggrin.gif
Cochise
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 18 2015, 11:14 AM) *

~hmm~ I guess that'd be better than the Chrysler-Nissan -> Daimler-Chrysler-Nissan -> Chrysler-Nissan debacle we saw before ... Unfortunately I do not have enough pocket monies lying around to get me this particular Colt
Sendaz
Kickstarter? nyahnyah.gif

Save Colt for SR!!

Okay maybe not....
Cochise
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 18 2015, 03:19 PM) *
Kickstarter? nyahnyah.gif

Save Colt for SR!!

Okay maybe not....

Would most likely end like this endeavor
Wakshaani
Yeah, one of those reminders that the small arms industry just ain't that big in the grand scheme of things.

Poor Colt.
Warlordtheft
I think it is mentioned in the SR1&2 SSC under the comments section for the M22A2 or M23 in FOF.
Mantis
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Jun 18 2015, 06:51 AM) *
Yeah, one of those reminders that the small arms industry just ain't that big in the grand scheme of things.

Poor Colt.

What? But the Excaliber fiasco nearly destroyed Ares. How can you say the small arms market just doesn't matter that much? All kidding aside, it is kind of sad to see such an old stand by in the arms manufacturing industry die off but then again, if they had kept up with their rivals, this wouldn't have happened.

Warlordtheft, I checked both of those sources you mentioned and Colt isn't listed as a subsidiary of Ares there either. I think people just assumed Colt was owned by Ares without any actual evidence, shadowtalk or otherwise, to back that up. I've seen nothing to say it ever belonged to Ares and so, at least in the SR universe, I think Colt still rolls onward as its own entity.
Wakshaani
Colt's ownership, and Weapons World, has a few hiccups. I think a few writers back in the day didn't talk to one another enough, so you wound up getting several different answers. When we run into that, we try and unravel it as best we can. Usually "Well, it was earned by X, then sol doff to Y" is enough to fix it, but sometimes not so much.

Continuity! It matters, dammit.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Jun 18 2015, 10:41 PM) *
Continuity! It matters, dammit.
Let's not open that particular can o worms please. wink.gif

As for Colt, maybe a shakeup like this might help kickdstart them in a new direction, whether more custom work weapons or something.
Nath
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Jun 19 2015, 05:41 AM) *
Colt's ownership, and Weapons World, has a few hiccups. I think a few writers back in the day didn't talk to one another enough, so you wound up getting several different answers. When we run into that, we try and unravel it as best we can. Usually "Well, it was earned by X, then sol doff to Y" is enough to fix it, but sometimes not so much.
That is right regarding Wapons World.

But I maintain, and will as long as someone actually provides a title and a page number (which as I said, never happened on Dumpshock or the official forum in the past 15 years), that there never was any mention of Colt ownership at all, let alone several mentions that would contradict each other. The point simply never has been addressed.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 18 2015, 05:14 AM) *

Considering how actual Colt ARs and 1911s were basically expensive but no better than off brand versions, I am not surprised that they are having a problem.

And LOL at how the article mentions how 1911s are unreliable. I have a 1911 and I love it and have used it in sporting competitions but I got a Glock for self defense precisely because of reliability. At the end of the day I just didn't trust my life to my 1911 knowing that it had like a 2% chance of developing a stoppage every time I pulled the trigger.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jun 23 2015, 07:00 PM) *
Considering how actual Colt ARs and 1911s were basically expensive but no better than off brand versions, I am not surprised that they are having a problem.

And LOL at how the article mentions how 1911s are unreliable. I have a 1911 and I love it and have used it in sporting competitions but I got a Glock for self defense precisely because of reliability. At the end of the day I just didn't trust my life to my 1911 knowing that it had like a 2% chance of developing a stoppage every time I pulled the trigger.

You know... it's funny, I shot a 1911 for well over a decade, and never had a single stoppage, ever. Wish I still owned that gun... to bad it was stolen along with most of my other ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012