Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street Grimoire is Live
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Cain @ Jul 7 2014, 02:28 AM) *
Proofreading is done via Google Docs. We all add our comments, which the editors in turn comment on, so there's no doubt that they've seen it. And since it's online, it pretty much stays there forever. Our file access is limited, but I can still see the locked file for the SR5 proofs (and, in our defense, many of the corrections we made never made it to the final copy). I don't know why it happened, and under a NDA I can't give examples. But I can confirm that it did.
Understandable that you can't give a full disclosure (having signed many NDAs in the past myself), but I do appreciate knowing at least this much. Helps understand why the final products are the way they are, even though errors and such are being caught.
Cain
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jul 7 2014, 08:32 AM) *
wow, that's pretty depressing.

i had assumed that something that stupid had to be a joke. well, as the saying goes: truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.

this is a whole new low for them to sink to.

After the Great Freelancer drama of years past, I hold the opinion that they mistreat the Shadowrun line. They don't treat their Battletech lines this way, this sort of shoddy quality control wouldn't fly there.

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jul 7 2014, 08:40 AM) *
Understandable that you can't give a full disclosure (having signed many NDAs in the past myself), but I do appreciate knowing at least this much. Helps understand why the final products are the way they are, even though errors and such are being caught.

Well, saying that we use a free online product for proofreading isn't the same as giving away company secrets. That said, I don't actually *know* what the editor's decision-making process is. I can only confirm that they received corrected documents, even if they're not using them.
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Jul 7 2014, 10:41 AM) *
Both well defined in 4th edition Street Magic, why not keep them in this edition?

Yes, but I can't find the usual line that says NOT FOR PC'S mad.gif for the twisted paths. So time to make that Toxic Blood Mantis shaman for S5 missions biggrin.gif.
Samoth
The solution I've worked with is to stop spending money on Catalyst products until they fix their issues, fire the problem people, or sell the IP. It's worked so far in skipping Run N Gun and Street Grimoire since neither are essential books and reviews are generally very bad. The fact that they are nickle and diming by already having ANOTHER magic book in the works is just an added insult. 15 years ago I had no problem spending my (at the time) meager money on every Shadowrun product I could find, but these days with far more expendable income I can't bring myself to buy poorly edited documents that the product line developers refuse to edit in any meaningful way, even when the community have provided nearly all the fixes for them.
Jaid
having another magic book coming out isn't so bad in and of itself. I mean, if they had, say, 320 pages of material but were only printing 288 pages (I think that's a typical cut-off point, not 100% sure, but it's just an example anyways), they could release the extra as a small PDF release.

it's the part where they didn't put the stuff that they should have into the main book, and put stuff in the main magic book that requires the PDF expansion that bothers me. but, much like you, it doesn't bother me as much as it would if I had actually decided to keep buying shadowrun products.

which I won't at this rate. I have limited money, and lots of things that I can choose to spend it on, many of which hold far more interest to me at this time than getting new shadowrun material when the production is so poorly done.
Uli
Guys, I know parts of the new books are less awesome than they could have been and CGL is mainly out to make money (no surprise there). But having a family member who works as an editor/project manager in a huge publishing firm I know that the publishing landscape is changing dramatically. Profits are breaking down all the way round, print is the biggest crisis since its invention, and no one down proper editing and proof reading. That scares (and bothers) me too, but I don't give a small company a hard time for that.[/theeconomy]

Back to topic: I like this book. Crunch and fluff feel very nice so far and I like its look. smile.gif
Samoth
QUOTE (Uli @ Jul 10 2014, 08:34 AM) *
Guys, I know parts of the new books are less awesome than they could have been and CGL is mainly out to make money (no surprise there). But having a family member who works as an editor/project manager in a huge publishing firm I know that the publishing landscape is changing dramatically. Profits are breaking down all the way round, print is the biggest crisis since its invention, and no one down proper editing and proof reading. That scares (and bothers) me too, but I don't give a small company a hard time for that.[/theeconomy]

Back to topic: I like this book. Crunch and fluff feel very nice so far and I like its look. smile.gif

There is no excuse for a primarily print-based company that produces a game that heavily relies on an intricate set of rules to flat out refuse to fix their errors for over a year.
Temperance
QUOTE (Samoth @ Jul 10 2014, 07:50 AM) *
There is no excuse for a primarily print-based company that produces a game that heavily relies on an intricate set of rules to flat out refuse to fix their errors for over a year.

What's worse is the freelancers work their asses off to get the errata collated, pass the errata up the chain, and it just sits there. frown.gif So it's not like they don't know.

-Temperance
AccessControl
QUOTE (Samoth @ Jul 10 2014, 10:50 AM) *

I haven't gotten time to check yet, but has ANY of the first errata been applied to the PDF version of the CRB yet?
psychophipps
QUOTE (Temperance @ Jul 10 2014, 12:00 PM) *
What's worse is the freelancers work their asses off to get the errata collated, pass the errata up the chain, and it just sits there. frown.gif So it's not like they don't know.

-Temperance

Which really only makes the situation worse. It basically tells the customer base, since such stories are all-too-common are becoming more and more public, that the company is run by people that so strongly don't give a shit that they can't even be arsed to check the time stamps to make sure that they're grabbing the most recent copies of the book they paid people to write to send to the printers that they are paying to print poorly editted books.

So to really spell it out for everyone, they paid people to write and proof the book, and they don't give a shit. They then paid a company to print the poorly edited and proofed book, and they still don't give a shit.

So the question becomes, "When will you start finding this unacceptable?"
binarywraith
QUOTE (AccessControl @ Jul 10 2014, 11:09 AM) *
I haven't gotten time to check yet, but has ANY of the first errata been applied to the PDF version of the CRB yet?

Not that I'm aware of. Haven't gotten notification of a new version for download, at any rate.

QUOTE (psychophipps @ Jul 10 2014, 11:16 AM) *
Which really only makes the situation worse. It basically tells the customer base, since such stories are all-too-common are becoming more and more public, that the company is run by people that so strongly don't give a shit that they can't even be arsed to check the time stamps to make sure that they're grabbing the most recent copies of the book they paid people to write to send to the printers that they are paying to print poorly editted books.

So to really spell it out for everyone, they paid people to write and proof the book, and they don't give a shit. They then paid a company to print the poorly edited and proofed book, and they still don't give a shit.

So the question becomes, "When will you start finding this unacceptable?"

I have long since. I'm done paying Catalyst for SR content, period. End of story. They don't give a shit on a corporate level despite having people who are very passionate about the line working for them, and I won't reward that attitude or the quality of work they're producing with my money.

I'm actually about to see if a few folks local to me want to play some SR2.
mrslamm0
sarcastic.gif Yeah this kinda sucks because I am finding myself liking the SR 5 rules a lot more then the SR 4 ones. So it's either go back to 4th or keep buying these books ( Probably just PDF's if I do) Yeah I could hack the 5th rules into 4th but im not sure I have that kinda determination like I once did for that kind thing...
binarywraith
QUOTE (mrslamm0 @ Jul 10 2014, 08:50 PM) *
sarcastic.gif Yeah this kinda sucks because I am finding myself liking the SR 5 rules a lot more then the SR 4 ones. So it's either go back to 4th or keep buying these books ( Probably just PDF's if I do) Yeah I could hack the 5th rules into 4th but im not sure I have that kinda determination like I once did for that kind thing...

That's the thing a friend of mine who's GMing a 5e game here keeps giving me shit about. Yes, the 5e rules are fixable. However, I'm not in highschool anymore, and really don't feel much need to pay for rules that I'm going to have to rewrite essentially from scratch in a lot of places to get them functional and internally consistent.
mrslamm0
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 10 2014, 08:48 PM) *
That's the thing a friend of mine who's GMing a 5e game here keeps giving me shit about. Yes, the 5e rules are fixable. However, I'm not in highschool anymore, and really don't feel much need to pay for rules that I'm going to have to rewrite essentially from scratch in a lot of places to get them functional and internally consistent.

Actually I have ran a few games already and so far I haven't found very many rules I feel I need to change. My real issue is the editing and such. I was just trying to avoid having to splice together SR 4.5 grinbig.gif
Cain
QUOTE (Uli @ Jul 9 2014, 11:34 PM) *

The difference is, the proofreaders are actually paid to do their work. Not in cash, but paid nonetheless. It makes no sense to pay people to proofread your work, then to completely ignore it. That's not the economy, that's a waste of money.
Larsine
QUOTE (Cain @ Jul 11 2014, 10:24 PM) *
The difference is, the proofreaders are actually paid to do their work. Not in cash, but paid nonetheless.

Well eventually we are paid...
Critias
FWIW (and believe me, I understand your frustration), a backstage discussion has been started specifically about SG and how to nip this shit in the bud and keep it from happening again (the crossed wires/overlap between books especially). We're doing what we can, where we are.
Isath
What's up with the new mentor spirits, granting adepts 1 pp worth of powers instead of the .5 pp the ones from the core book offer (raven being the odd exeption)?
Sendaz
Spiritual Inflation you know wink.gif

They probably just judge the disadvantages as being greater so the rewards are better, though one can debate this.
Isath
I agree... one can debate this. wink.gif
Shemhazai
QUOTE (Cain @ Jul 7 2014, 04:28 AM) *
Proofreading is done via Google Docs. We all add our comments, which the editors in turn comment on,

Is that a good way to go about that? Has anyone there considered a wiki? We could create a community one at Mistakes in printed material - Errata and corrigenda. Here's a nice example.
Larsine
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jul 14 2014, 06:56 PM) *
Is that a good way to go about that?

It works. I can see other proofers comments, they can see mine, we can comment each others comments, and that's really all we need.
Jaid
QUOTE (Larsine @ Jul 14 2014, 04:41 PM) *
It works. I can see other proofers comments, they can see mine, we can comment each others comments, and that's really all we need.

well, that plus the people in charge of actually applying the proofing corrections to the published product actually also reading it and then making the corrections. but switching to a wiki won't fix that anyways.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Larsine @ Jul 14 2014, 02:41 PM) *
Any way to tell if the higher ups are actually reading the comments the proofers are leaving?
Jaid
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jul 14 2014, 08:10 PM) *
Any way to tell if the higher ups are actually reading the comments the proofers are leaving?

that won't be fixed by any system i've ever heard of, so what difference does it make?

whether they're seeing them and not applying them, or not seeing them and not applying them, the result is the same and the reason why is likely the same. i mean, if they cared enough to make the changes, they'd put in the effort to see the feedback. if they don't care, it doesn't matter whether they see the feedback or not.
Demonseed Elite
Right. Back when I was freelancing, we just posted Word documents on a Yahoo Group (yes, a Yahoo Group!). Not the finest system, but the Word commenting worked just fine when you had editors who were serious about editing and a line developer who was committed to polishing the material a few times before it went into print.

I'm not really sure where the failure is now because I'm not part of the process anymore. Assuming there are proper draft deadlines and the freelancers are sticking to those for the most part, then there should be plenty of time to gather editorial notes and apply editorial changes.

But, seriously and honestly, the buck stops with the line developer. There's no way any decent line developer should be letting such unpolished work go to print.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jul 14 2014, 06:38 PM) *
that won't be fixed by any system i've ever heard of, so what difference does it make?

whether they're seeing them and not applying them, or not seeing them and not applying them, the result is the same and the reason why is likely the same. i mean, if they cared enough to make the changes, they'd put in the effort to see the feedback. if they don't care, it doesn't matter whether they see the feedback or not.
Honestly I was just curious as to whether or not the higher ups gave a shit about the feedback one would suspect they're asking for in the first place and checked, or didn't even give enough of a shit and opted to just ignore it outright before deciding on whatever they pleased.
Demonseed Elite
Shadowrun's line developer and lead editor (I kind of want to put that title in quotation marks) made a blog post skirting vaguely around this issue.

Yesterday we had a post updating Missions; today it’s time to talk a little about the main line.

I’m going to start with a disclaimer: Much of this is going to be vague, perhaps frustratingly so. But that’s because there are some things going on that are simply not for public consumption, as they relate to the personal lives of people involved, and I don’t feel appropriate to share some elements in a business post.

The past half-year has been chaotic for Shadowrun. Chaos and lots of work is not new, but the nature of the chaos was different. Some of it involved different systems that have been set up over time, including the proofing system, not working as they had; others involved trying new types of products, and the inevitable mistakes that come with trying something new. Catalyst is a small company, and there is almost no redundancy built into it. When something breaks down, it’s difficult to fix it on the fly, and repairs don’t always come quickly as time is short.

One of the results of this chaos was that product proofing was not what it always should be. That’s not at all the fault of any proofers—it was a problem of my process and Catalyst’s process. As new processes were being built, I made some mistakes in judging what would work. I learned from the mistakes, and they have led to changes that will make the new processes stronger.

The good news is that most of the chaos has now passed. Systems that were not working right are back to regular functioning, or have been rebuilt so that they will work better going forward. Some of this was discussed in yesterday’s post, so one thing you can expect is more regular Missions. What else should you expect?

• More regular releases of books;
  • More accurate, more reliable rules documents;
  • Release of errata for Run & Gun and Street Grimoire by the end of summer or sooner.

We hope to use the changes and processes we have in place to provide books and more that will improve your Shadowrun experience and make you excited about the options you can introduce to your game!
Temperance
The proof is in the pudding, as they say. If it happens, good. If not, I will be unsurprised.

-Temperance
Cain
I'm willing to see what happens next, but I'm also not expecting a miracle.

My opinion is that this level of problem is more than a simple failure of process, but other than saying "the buck stops with the line developer", I don't think any single person is to blame. I think the problem runs at all levels, starting from the beginning and running all the way up.
Glyph
So, how common is background count!? This book quote from another thread really bothers me:

A background count impose a negative dice pool penalty equal to its rating for all tests linked in any way to magic (such as spellcasting, summoning, and skill tests that use active adept powers such as Killing Hands or Improved Sense).

I imagine lots of adepts will have some powers that are active all of the time (improved reflexes, etc.), meaning background count basically hits them with a penalty to ALL of their actions, just like it does for spirits. Getting improved ability: 1 for a skill can result in you being worse off than if you had not taken it at all. I mean, what the hell, a HUGE part of adept abilities is getting these little dice pool bonuses for this or that. If even background count of 1 is relatively rare, adepts are still viable, but if it is like some posters interpret the SR4 flavor text (background counts of 1 are 2 are everywhere), then adepts are suddenly pretty worthless.
Bull
QUOTE (Glyph @ Jul 18 2014, 02:24 AM) *
So, how common is background count!? This book quote from another thread really bothers me:

I imagine lots of adepts will have some powers that are active all of the time (improved reflexes, etc.), meaning background count basically hits them with a penalty to ALL of their actions, just like it does for spirits. Getting improved ability: 1 for a skill can result in you being worse off than if you had not taken it at all. I mean, what the hell, a HUGE part of adept abilities is getting these little dice pool bonuses for this or that. If even background count of 1 is relatively rare, adepts are still viable, but if it is like some posters interpret the SR4 flavor text (background counts of 1 are 2 are everywhere), then adepts are suddenly pretty worthless.

I wish it was clarified, but Adepts can "turn off" their powers when needed. Also note that rolling for Initiative is not a skill test, and doesn't suffer the penalty.

As for how common, it depends on location and your GM. If Shadowrun Missions: Chicago, to use a specific example, the Containment Zone's Astral Space is all fragged up, between the bugs, the misery, the violence, and FAB III. Everywhere inside the zone has a minimum BGC of 2, and other locations will have higher BGC's. Outside the Zone, there's no BGC unless the Mission otherwise specifies. (There's also a noise penalty as ell due to lingering radiation and no modern wireless infrastructure, so you know we're not just hosing magicals here. Chicago is genuinely a bad place to be).

In Missions: Seattle and Missions: Manhattan we rarely used BGC's expect in specific circumstances. I personally don't think theyre that common unless you're in an area that's been pretty deliberately fragged up, but talk to your GM. Some GMs run a harsher game, and interpret the general misery of every day life to be a BGC of 1.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 18 2014, 03:49 AM) *
I wish it was clarified, but Adepts can "turn off" their powers when needed. Also note that rolling for Initiative is not a skill test, and doesn't suffer the penalty.
they do mention that adepts can turn off passive powers with a simple action in the Grimoire, but they do need to clarify what counts as being affected by the penalty.

Also it seems odd that Init would not be affected, yes you can argue it's a skill test, but then that means if I have Increased Reflexes I do not lose those bonus init die while if I use an enhanced skill or other stat I do?

Bull
Sorry, to clarify... It doesn't effect your actual initiative roll... The 3D6+10 roll at the beginning of your turn. But it would mean your Improved Reflexes are ongoing fr the turn, meaning that you're using the Reaction attribute bonus. So any tests using Reaction would still be effected.

That's the official Missions ruling anyway. I know this needs clarified in an FAQ somewhere. This was something I was batting around for a while prior to Season 5/Chicago launching, since BGC was important for Chicago, so I helped create the new BGC rules. Still penalizing, but not crippling the way the SR4 rules were.
Bull
Also, as for why it effects skill tests and not Initiative Tests... mainly a balance thing. Initiative dice max out at 5d6 plus a bonus, while other tests frequently start around 5 dice on the lower end and go up from there. So it didn't seem fair to punish them for that, PLUS nail them for all Reaction tests as well (Including all dodge tests). Makes imp Relfexes a double whammy.
Uli
I'll just relay that to German fans and their forums... smile.gif From the English wording in the SG, I among others judged otherwise.
Sendaz
Thanks for clearing that up Bull and hope this makes it into a FAQ somewhere for others because this will be a question raised.
Medicineman
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 18 2014, 05:29 AM) *
Thanks for clearing that up Bull and hope this makes it into a FAQ somewhere for others because this will be a question raised.

Better yet they make it into Erratta and the next published Street grimoires

HokaHey
Medicineman
Sendaz
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jul 18 2014, 06:50 AM) *
Better yet they make it into Erratta and the next published Street grimoires

HokaHey
Medicineman

Whoa whoa now, let's not get crazy talking here... it's not like there is going to be errata for the grimoire before the end of summer...

*looks at Hardy's post*

Oh wait...

First test I guess. biggrin.gif

with an errata Dance

Sendaz
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 18 2014, 02:04 AM) *
Sorry, to clarify... It doesn't effect your actual initiative roll... The 3D6+10 roll at the beginning of your turn. But it would mean your Improved Reflexes are ongoing fr the turn, meaning that you're using the Reaction attribute bonus. So any tests using Reaction would still be effected.

That's the official Missions ruling anyway. I know this needs clarified in an FAQ somewhere. This was something I was batting around for a while prior to Season 5/Chicago launching, since BGC was important for Chicago, so I helped create the new BGC rules. Still penalizing, but not crippling the way the SR4 rules were.

Funny... I never saw the SR4A Background Count Rules as Crippling. *shrug*
Uli
So, you've never played an adept, huh? biggrin.gif
Sendaz
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 18 2014, 10:02 AM) *
Funny... I never saw the SR4A Background Count Rules as Crippling. *shrug*

To be fair, you also mentioned your players ran into it often enough to warrant their taking it into account during Chargen.

So they were sort of acclimated coming out the gate so to speak. wink.gif

I say Chauncey, I fear we are out of milk and it's nearly tea time.

Egads, then how can we have our Earl Grey?!? That shall not stand Mortie. I will pop down to the local market for some!

You will?

I certainly will! And what is more, I shall depart this very instant!

Good man! Do take note of the mana ebb when crossing 3rd, it seems to have dipped lower than usual today.

So noted old chum! I would endeavour to skirt it, but given how close to tea time it is I fear I have not the luxury to do so. I shall have to zip through expeditiously and devil take the hindmost! Cheerio!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Uli @ Jul 18 2014, 07:19 AM) *
So, you've never played an adept, huh? biggrin.gif

All the time.
I don't see BGC as onerous. I tend to plan for it in character Gen and go from there. Key is to be functional without magic (regardless of how you awakened), and then everything else is just gravy. *shrug*
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 18 2014, 07:22 AM) *
To be fair, you also mentioned your players ran into it often enough to warrant their taking it into account during Chargen.

So they were sort of acclimated coming out the gate so to speak. wink.gif

I say Chauncey, I fear we are out of milk and it's nearly tea time.

Egads, then how can we have our Earl Grey?!? That shall not stand Mortie. I will pop down to the local market for some!

You will?

I certainly will! And what is more, I shall depart this very instant!

Good man! Do take note of the mana ebb when crossing 3rd, it seems to have dipped lower than usual today.

So noted old chum! I would endeavour to skirt it, but given how close to tea time it is I fear I have not the luxury to do so. I shall have to zip through expeditiously and devil take the hindmost! Cheerio!

Heh... Indeed old Chap.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 18 2014, 10:40 AM) *
Key is to be functional without magic (regardless of how you awakened), and then everything else is just gravy. *shrug*
Good rule to live by, regardless of whether you deal with Background Counts or even if you never see one.

There are plenty of other situations where your magic may be at a handicap (fatigued, detection, etc..) and being able to fall back on non-magical solutions never hurts.

But that said, it takes time to get it right. A lot depends on the campaign and style of play held there.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 18 2014, 07:52 AM) *
Good rule to live by, regardless of whether you deal with Background Counts or even if you never see one.

There are plenty of other situations where your magic may be at a handicap (fatigued, detection, etc..) and being able to fall back on non-magical solutions never hurts.

But that said, it takes time to get it right. A lot depends on the campaign and style of play held there.

Yep, it is the rule that I live by, anyways, and it has always worked out well for me. smile.gif

No doubt. Being functional when you can no longer rely upon your magic is a good thing in my opinion.

It does take time to get it right. You have to be willing to come down on your expectations a bit to make sure that you cover the bases. One of the reasons that I rarely (never in SR4 actually) have a Magic of 6 at character creation (generally stabilizes at 3-4 for the most part, dependent upon character and concept). That, combined with my Skill philosophy tends to create pretty good characters, right in the ranges of where I like my DP's to start out. Priority systems tend to play merry hob with that philosophy a bit, but one can adapt if one must. smile.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 18 2014, 11:07 AM) *
Also, as for why it effects skill tests and not Initiative Tests... mainly a balance thing. Initiative dice max out at 5d6 plus a bonus, while other tests frequently start around 5 dice on the lower end and go up from there. So it didn't seem fair to punish them for that, PLUS nail them for all Reaction tests as well (Including all dodge tests). Makes imp Relfexes a double whammy.

And people still wonder why it's perceived as adept/magic run so often . .
Jaid
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 18 2014, 11:33 AM) *

not exactly unique to this system.

have you ever looked at class tier lists for D&D? honestly, i suspect you'll find the same kind of thing for most games as well.

they get so combat focused in the rules, that they almost forget how much of a crushing advantage magic typically has in every other area of the game. so then they try really hard to make magic as good in combat as everything else... and hey, whaddya know, suddenly magic is always the best choice.
binarywraith
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 18 2014, 10:33 AM) *

Yep. Especially when, given the new rules in Street Grimoire, it's entirely possible to get the maximum +4 to all attributes as a mage via quickened spells covered by Extended Masking.

Welcome to being objectively better than cyberware in nearly every way.

Or even more fun :

QUOTE (Street Grimoire @ page 156)
SUPERNATURAL PROWESS
For any physical action, the adept can substitute a physical
attribute for Magic + initiate grade for that test. If
done during combat, the substitution affects all physical
actions associated to that attribute within a Combat
Turn. This metamagic cannot be combined with Attribute
Boost. This can be done 1 + initiate grade times
per day. Dice pools and Physical limits temporarily
change with this action.

Welcome to Adepts not even needing good stats to be better than their samurai counterparts. Just a good Magic.

Also, unintended hilarity, anyone recognize that old SR Novel Cover Art getting recycled on page 179?
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jul 18 2014, 09:46 AM) *
not exactly unique to this system.

have you ever looked at class tier lists for D&D? honestly, i suspect you'll find the same kind of thing for most games as well.

they get so combat focused in the rules, that they almost forget how much of a crushing advantage magic typically has in every other area of the game. so then they try really hard to make magic as good in combat as everything else... and hey, whaddya know, suddenly magic is always the best choice.
Or just focused on combat in general to the exclusion of everything else. First time I ran SR4 games was when I took over the Denver campaign from another guy. A new player made a gangly cybered elf sniper, and spent the karma he earned from his first three missions on getting other skills that had suddenly become so much more needed because not a single gunshot had been fired. Since then I've always advised new players making characters to not focus on all things combat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012