Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mars Alpha
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
nezumi
Thank you. Having sunk at least half an hour into Invisible Castle with no meat, I'm going to jump over to orokos:
http://orokos.com/roll/259332
1 success

And yes, I have Onedrive, although I've never used it. Should I just send you my hotmail address?

No hurry. I'm drowning in work until probably April first.
Bastard
So did JT see anything or anyone suspicious?
pbangarth
The last post about him moving people along tells you all he saw that stood out.
Bastard
Okay, I might have missed the between the lines details. The guy could just be a jerk, but I will run his record anyways.
nezumi
Any obvious signs of destruction? Bombs or anything?

This is sort of turning into a standard GMed game. I'm wondering if the intention here is to make it more 'GM-less' and have me just sort of make up some details on my own?
pbangarth
That would work for me. Sort of one of those stories told one sentence at a time by different people. Honestly, I have only a sketchy idea how this little scene will turn out, and any fresh blood in the creative process could lead to something cool.
Bastard
That sounds good to me!
nezumi
Oh also, is one success enough to get useful information?
Marcus Tarrow
It's enough to spot something, and of the two of us that're in there I'd guess Tanya is the more likely to spot something odd or out of place in a generator room smile.gif
Jacob's got a good roll but I cant imagine anything in there being recognisable to him so I'll take my cue from you on that one.
Bastard
I think we do need a GM... to at least bump us in the right direction...

Or someone needs to give us an OoC rundown of what we know.
nezumi
I take some blame too frown.gif The GM disappearance was right around the same time my work and life cranked it up to 11. Life is stepping down a bit though.

I do think we need to take more of that role of GM though, and narrate on behalf of each other, even if it's at risk of stepping on toes. The stats are kind of irrelevant, since we'll just be making it up as we go along.

Bastard
Agreed.

Both that it is your fault and we need a narrator/gm. biggrin.gif
pbangarth
Yeah, I've been sick in multiple ways lately, and have not contributed at all. Sorry, gang. I hope my troubles clear up soon.
pbangarth
Well, there's a hook someone could run with.
Bastard
Who has access to the videos? All of us?
pbangarth
I love it! Writing by committee, and it is working!
Marcus Tarrow
Sorry been away for a few days and hadn't spotted things had picked back up biggrin.gif
Will get a post up ASAP
Bastard
Can we turn of signatures in the IC, please? Just uncheck the box on your IC posts
nezumi
I try to keep my signature on specifically because it has my character name in it (and I will forget otherwise). If it's not useful for other people I can turn it off though.
Marcus Tarrow
Got a lil dragged under with work, then very dragged under by birthday hangover >.<
On upside we now have a net connection at work, so no more "me not checking thread for days on end".

I'm gonna edit one of my earlier IC posts so Jacob gets the room repressurised so Tanya can run out undhindered. Won't affect any of the later posts will just read a bit more cleanly smile.gif
Marcus Tarrow
Does this somewhat surly ork seem to be nervy and expecting a fight, or is he just being a pain in the ass? What do you reckon Nezumi? If he's an inconvenient obstacle stopping us getting to the freight cars we can probably go through him fairly quickly (after all you've already asked him to move politely) - but if he's acting suspiciously then we'll need to treat him with a lil more care I guess smile.gif

8 die on a judge intentions test (if that's appropriate) = 3 hits
just in case you've got something specific in mind for how he's acting.

Hmm - would hitting someone with the blunt back edge of an axe count as using a mace? I forsee a surgically-precise called shot to the side of someone's knee in the near future biggrin.gif
nezumi
Nothing in particular in mind. Go with what's more interesting smile.gif
pbangarth
Yeah, I'll get more involved, honest.
Marcus Tarrow
quick chemistry (knowledge) skill roll to see if Jacob recognises that list as being the main ingredients of ANFO. I'm assuming science knowledge skills are along the lines of "I read it in a book" rather than "I know this from lab experience and can make it" like the active skill.

chem knowledge (pool 7) 5 hits

And now Jacob wishes he'd never read that pamphlet on quarry blasting.
I'm not sure if it'd have been more fun to have given Jacob the flashbacks flaw biggrin.gif
pbangarth
Yeah, he sees immediately the potential. Jacob needs more info about how much material the chemist got a hold of in order to determine how much explosive might be produced. Nathaniel didn't mention the amount.

Of course, I don't really know what amount would be needed, so if Jacob asks, I'll have to do some research. I sure hope no government security agency notices me looking up ANFO over and over again!
Bastard
I have to catch up... been busy with work and life the past two or three weeks. Damn you adult responsibilities!
nezumi
Yeah, I've been caught in a 'thirty day sprint', and in two days I'm flying out of country for a week. I'll get a post up, but expect me to be quiet for the next ten days... and possibly the ten days after 9_9

Sorry for the inconvenience, all. Please continue on without me/roll on my behalf and I'll jump back in when I can.
pbangarth
You know, this is awesome. No GM! I'm writing the story along with everybody, yet I have no idea what's going to happen. Cool shit is going down, gang!

This should be done more often!
pbangarth
In and out of internet till 9 July. Will post if can.
Marcus Tarrow
Daftish question, not directly this-game related, but something that's been kicking around my head as a "how would Evo have kicked off a base" question.

What're the odds that there'd be a not-insignificant number of jarheads (full body cyborgs) working in the SR-era space industry? They seem tailor-made to things like manned exploration (we don't need no stinkin' life support), search and rescue (no air? No problem), strike teams (three jarheads plus kit weighs less than the curiosity lander), things like that. I'd imagine there'd even be times where (given sufficient medical capability) it'd be cheaper to give someone who's severely injured the jarhead treatment than it would be to train and ship their replacement.
pbangarth
So, what if we are all jarheads ... who don't know it?
nezumi
Another week away. Last week was luxury hotels in Bogota, this week is a tent by the lake.
Marcus Tarrow
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jul 23 2015, 09:49 PM) *
Another week away. Last week was luxury hotels in Bogota, this week is a tent by the lake.

somehow the latter sounds by far the more relaxing of the two smile.gif
nezumi
Last week was alone with my wife. This week is alone with two dozen cub scouts.
pbangarth
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jul 24 2015, 06:13 AM) *
Last week was alone with my wife. This week is alone with two dozen cub scouts.

That settles that!
pbangarth
I should know better than to press SUBMIT a second time just because the system is slow.
Marcus Tarrow
Anyone up for resurrecting this?

If it's lack of direction that's an issue, I've got the very rough outlines of a plot coming together (based on backgrounds and the train convo between doc and tanya). Gimme a week or so to flesh it out a bit and should be good to go, or at least good enough to make a start while I frantically make up the rest wink.gif
pbangarth
That would be awesome, buddy. I'm behind running another game, and playing in yet another.
Bastard
I need direction.
Bastard
I need direction.
Marcus Tarrow
Cool, I'll finish knocking together what I'm fiddling with, and we can work out a quick segue into day 2 smile.gif I'll drop something in the IC post this coming week so we can get on with wrapping up the current scene.

As a random thought - considering how far off the grid we're going in terms of SR canon would it be worth us putting up another thread somewhere where we can collate info about the setting? If anyone knows of a good (ideally stupidly high resolution) map of Mars I can have a look at I'd be eternally grateful if they could drop me a link. And if anyone want's something specific to happen for IC reasons (say a specific bit of story building or whatever) then drop me a message and we'll work out a way of writing it in smile.gif
pbangarth
NASA map of Mars: LINK.

Google Earth also does Mars. Lots of photos and other links pegged to it.

EDIT: Oh! Oh! And a geological map of Mars HERE.
Bastard
Looking forward to continuing!
Marcus Tarrow
Right, plan planned, and am heading back home will get a post up as soon as I arrive smile.gif
(posting from my mobile at the moment, which is kinda garbage for formatting forum posts)

Monday morning edit: looks like NASA are about to make me rethink the water processing facilities on Mars... Awesome smile.gif
Marcus Tarrow
Still willing to pick this back up if anyone's still around. Just post in here and we can pick up from there with whoever we've still got smile.gif

I'll drop back on tomorrow and write a "for everyone" IC post covering the return to the security office and the debrief. After that we'll be given the location of our assigned quarters which is about as far as I can go without knowing who's still up for carrying on. I'd like to get this rolling again before the end of the year, so say two weeks for whoever is still interested to post here? There's enough flex in the story that we can work around people dropping out if necessary, and can add them back in at a later time should the need arise cool.gif
Bastard
QUOTE (Marcus Tarrow @ Dec 13 2015, 06:07 PM) *
Still willing to pick this back up if anyone's still around. Just post in here and we can pick up from there with whoever we've still got smile.gif

I'll drop back on tomorrow and write a "for everyone" IC post covering the return to the security office and the debrief. After that we'll be given the location of our assigned quarters which is about as far as I can go without knowing who's still up for carrying on. I'd like to get this rolling again before the end of the year, so say two weeks for whoever is still interested to post here? There's enough flex in the story that we can work around people dropping out if necessary, and can add them back in at a later time should the need arise cool.gif

Ready and willing
Marcus Tarrow
cool.gif

I'm holding back on the group IC post for another day or two, I'm unexpectedly away from my main comp for a few days and the phone isn't the best for formatting posts. On the upside not having to actually think when in work has given me a bit of time to flesh out a couple of "just-in-case" npcs to help fill in gaps if needed biggrin.gif
nezumi
I think I'm going to have to jump out. My RL workload has doubled, and isn't showing any signs of letting up.
Marcus Tarrow
That's not a problem Nezumi, though it'll be sad to see you go. I'll fluff it so Tanya's assigned away from the rest of the team for now, which'll leave you open to come back in somepoint if things quieten down and you want to come back in smile.gif

Just shot PBangarth a pm to see if he's still in, but seems he's not been online for a couple of months so not sure right now if he'll be rejoining us. I'll give him some time to get back to us, in the meantime I'll get the IC thread post sorted out with enough ambiguity that he can join or not as he wants.
pbangarth
A shitstorm of troubles landed on me and my family. I got distracted. If you can do the same for Nathaniel that you are doing for Tanya, I hope I can be a regular again starting in January. If not, I'll let you know, and Nathaniel's troubles he ran away from can have followed him to Mars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012