Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mars Alpha
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
pbangarth
Hey, we can use this thread for the dice rolls, can't we?

Way to go Tanya!
nezumi
I'm okay with whatever the etiquette is. I'm used to putting rolls in the post itself so it's obviously tied to that action, frequently marked orange or something to denote it's OOC.

I use the RPoL dice roller, since I"m already running a Shadowrun game there.
Bastard
Working on catching up this weekend. Got 4G service on my phone at work now! Welcome to 2009!
Marcus Tarrow
Hi guys, sorry for the vanishing act got called up for jury service on short notice and haven't been allowed net access for more than a week. Will catch up with what's going on and get a post put up once I've slept and cleared my head.
pbangarth
I'll dive in after that and play GM for the video data collection segment.
pbangarth
Awesome stuff HERE.

Just the kind of thing I was looking for. Now I have some ideas.
Bastard
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 17 2014, 10:33 PM) *
Awesome stuff HERE.

Just the kind of thing I was looking for. Now I have some ideas.

Awesome. Thanks for the link.
pbangarth
A week ago I got Storm Front for a steal at the FLGS. Awesome stuff regarding Mars, but I think I have to bite the bullet and get Hazard Pay. I need to figure out whether Mars Alpha is the same as Ggarin Base, and how our situation is related to the blackout that happened there. Any other sources on SR Mars out there?

I would like to get a story going here that isn't -too- offbase with the official fluff.
nezumi
I don't even know the basic SR4 mechanics. You can go as far off-fluff as you want to as far as I'm concerned (I plan to nyahnyah.gif )
pbangarth
Well, we'll muddle well enough.
Bastard
Ready to muddle.
pbangarth
Muddling begins.
Bastard
Muddling along with you.
pbangarth
Bastard, I couldn't find a complete data sheet for JT, including gear. could you repost him or edit the abridged one in this thread, please? I was specifically looking for who has air tanks.
Bastard
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 14 2014, 07:00 PM) *
Bastard, I couldn't find a complete data sheet for JT, including gear. could you repost him or edit the abridged one in this thread, please? I was specifically looking for who has air tanks.

Oh yeah... I was transferring him from a character generator. He doesn't have air tanks.

I'll try to get that up this week. Going off 65-70 hour weeks after New Year's. Hopefully no one else goes on unemployment or disability for a while. It takes about 8 months to train someone off the street, and 4 for an experienced guy.
Bastard
I will try to get everything transposed in about 2 weeks. Its going to be a busy XMas with only one day off for me between now and Jan 2nd.
pbangarth
OK. I'm driving by the seat of my pants. A few extra days to come up with what is really happening is not a problem.
pbangarth
Still alive.
Marcus Tarrow
Sorry missed the posts just before I went away for the holidays, still alive and will get posting again in the morning.
I really must apologise for my lack of attention to the story recently >.< Things should be more stable now I'm not having to cram shedloads of extra work in ready for the holiday break. I shall improve.

(and a belated happy new year to everyone)
Bastard
Survived the holidays and a power outage at the refinery where I work. Gotta work one more week of extra shifts, then hopefully I can get up to speed and stop being a drekbag.
Marcus Tarrow
outta interest - how quickly would that door have closed prior to the air being dumped from the room? Would Jacob have had time for a quick sprint halfway across the room to the 2nd casualty? And assuming they're not wearing the facemask (which going by the description for the suit appears to be a reasonable assumption) which'd look cooler - fitting their facemask as Tanya pulls the lever, or finding out how far J can throw a metahuman through a doorway in reduced gravity? cyber.gif

(edit: please let me find out how far I can throw a metahuman in low-g spin.gif If only for the awesomeness value of the "rolling under the door as it closes" bit. If only I had a fedora....)
pbangarth
Oh, for sure, IC the hell out of this one!
nezumi
Remember, the gravity on Mars is .38g. The person's mass is still the same, although there's now reduced air resistance (with an unfavorable wind, unfortunately). But his weight is more than halved. Chuck away!
Marcus Tarrow
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jan 8 2015, 08:31 PM) *
Remember, the gravity on Mars is .38g. The person's mass is still the same, although there's now reduced air resistance (with an unfavorable wind, unfortunately). But his weight is more than halved. Chuck away!

Hmm. It would be geeky of me to admit I have a spreadsheet of equations for stuff like that.
I may have gone a little over the top when it came to research when it came to the prospect of a mars campaign. Really over the top biggrin.gif
nezumi
For reals?? Can I get a copy?
Marcus Tarrow
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jan 11 2015, 07:01 PM) *
For reals?? Can I get a copy?

Sure, not a problem smile.gif Will have to give me some time to make it more coherent though, at the moment the relevant physics side of things is a mass of weblinks and raw equations with no inbuilt calculation ability (I'm not the tidyest of thinkers) but I can remedy that. Got a fair few handwritten notes on things like materials production, living requirements, infrastructure and so forth too. It started as a bit of fun to work out how technically difficult it'd be to live on Mars without stepping into full on sci-fi tech. Assuming fusion power (or even decent nuclear) it's less difficult technically than living under the sea, just with more materials import issues.

<back on subject>
Throwing a person a meter or two through a doorway - throwing weapons 3, agility 6, -2 die for running, total die pool 7 (this might not work)
http://orokos.com/roll/245208
One hit biggrin.gif
Bastard
Added my gear. Spent 1600 nuyen.gif on contraband personal items. Also copy and pasted JT's intro from the Recruitment thread.

So, I have been trying to keep up, but can someone give me an idea of what we are doing?
We are still standing at the explosion site, some are rescuing, while others are starting to investigate, and pbangarth has taken over as gm... right?
JT has been looking around, has he seen anybody or anything suspicious? Not sure what to roll.
pbangarth
Oh, go ahead and give me a perception roll, with any visual modifiers (let's say the smoke is no problem right now). Use Invisible Castle, with Mars Alpha as the Campaign. Let's all use that, for now, for any rolls, and this OOC thread for reporting rolls and any other OOC talk.
nezumi
Do you have a link? There's about 4,000 campaigns listed, and search is coming up empty.
Bastard
For Perception, do you just roll the skill or do you add an Attribute. I am just learning 5th and since I was away for a while, I forgot everything I had learned.
pbangarth
Dice pool for Perception Tests = Intuition Attribute + Perception Skill +/- pertinent modifiers (environmental, specialization, etc.)
Bastard
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 26 2015, 11:31 AM) *
Dice pool for Perception Tests = Intuition Attribute + Perception Skill +/- pertinent modifiers (environmental, specialization, etc.)

Thanks.

Perception Test, looking for suspicious characters, activity, and/or evidence. Perception 10 + Intuition 4

Perception 6 Successes?
[ Spoiler ]

Can I also use my Judge Intentions to help identify suspects, and if so, how?
pbangarth
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jan 26 2015, 07:17 AM) *
Do you have a link? There's about 4,000 campaigns listed, and search is coming up empty.

Hmmm... maybe this was the first roll?!

Anyway, now that Bastard has done it, the "Mars Alpha" campaign exists on invisiblecastle.com.
Bastard
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 27 2015, 09:55 AM) *
Anyway, now that Bastard has done it, the "Mars Alpha" campaign exists on invisiblecastle.com.

Now I've done it!

nezumi

6d6 → [1,6,6,6,6,4] = (29)

5 successes!

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4763069/

pbangarth
I'll give Jacob a chance to respond before I deal with the search.
Marcus Tarrow
Sorry missed that the thread had picked back up, been up to my eyeballs in tax paperwork.
Will get a post up tomorrow evening sometime smile.gif
pbangarth
Just put in an application for a great job. Back on this job tomorrow.
Bastard
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 12 2015, 05:29 PM) *
Just put in an application for a great job. Back on this job tomorrow.

Good luck! My union put me on strike, so I have been posting resumes everywhere!
pbangarth
Could I have a Perception Test from Jacob and Tanya, please?

And what the hell, a Judge Intentions test from JT, too.
nezumi
I'm back to not being able to roll on invisible fortress. Do I suck?
Bastard
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 13 2015, 07:46 PM) *

Is there anything you roll in addition to the Judge Intentions dice? Here is just Judge Intentions:
[4,4,4,1,6,2,4,2,5]= 2 Successes?
pbangarth
Nope. That's fine!

By the way, on Invisible Castle, using the form 9d6.hits(5) will explicitly say how many hits you got on 9 dice.
Marcus Tarrow
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 14 2015, 03:46 AM) *

perception roll
4 hits biggrin.gif (ignore the last two dice if non-visual, though they're not hits)

As a random sidenote my guy had some nuyen left over during character creation for gear (when it wasn't too clear what was happening with equipment). Would anyone mind if I spend some of it on random personal belongings to flesh him out a bit more & give him something to unpack further down the line?
pbangarth
Yeah, go ahead.
Marcus Tarrow
Cheers, I'll just add it to his character sheet and adjust accordingly. Must admit I spend a fair chunk of today pondering "what would I take to mars with me if I went" - and allowing for SR era data storage and media types it'd probably just boil down to a handfull of datachips / datasofts and some printed pictures & books brought for sentimental value smile.gif
nezumi
I'm still having a lot of issues with this site. I registered, but it isn't sending me the registration email. Search isn't turning up with the campaign page. I had to follow a trail of links from your old rolls to find it here:
http://invisiblecastle.com/campaign/view/36355/
But it won't let me roll.

It seems like I'm the only one though, huh?
pbangarth
Hmmm.. I couldn't find it through the Search function, but it's on the 5th page of the campaigns list. I wasn't on it, but I rolled a fake roll for Nathaniel, and he shows up now. Try just rolling some dice as your PC and see if ti just ... works.
Bastard
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 14 2015, 12:47 AM) *
Nope. That's fine!

By the way, on Invisible Castle, using the form 9d6.hits(5) will explicitly say how many hits you got on 9 dice.

Thanks! Now I know. And knowing is half the battle!
Marcus Tarrow
Hey Nezumi, looks like you're not the only one having issues with invisiblecastle. I haven't been able to access it the past two days, nor was I able to access it at all back in the 2nd week of January.

Mars Alpha is already listed as a campaign over at Orokos.com as it's the roller I used in January for the throwing roll. Same logging etc as invisiblecastle just slightly different syntax (in our case it's generally xd6t5, with x being the approriate die pool size). Never hurts to have a backup in case ic keeps playing up biggrin.gif

edit: btw haven't forgotten about getting that mars research over to you at somepoint. I've just spotted that I can share my onenote notebooks with online if you've got a MS onedrive login (there's an online viewer if you've not got onenote installed). I'll start moving the more coherent stuff over to there, probably in a page of science / subpage of application to shadowrun type format smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012