Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (IC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Lobo0705
Chinatown, CAS Zone, 5:01 AM, September 12, 2075

Sisco smoothly changes course, the painful battering his body took fading a bit as his VR senses overrode his physical ones. The feel of the road as his tires ate up ground was soothing, as the pavement was well maintained in this area of the CAS.

Huiquing seemed to be calming down, the immediate danger seeming to have passed. Addressing Sisco and Jack, he said, "Wǒ bùshì mángmù dì xiànshí qíngkuàng."

His eyes were a little clouded, but they seemed to be clearing a little, Mel assumed that whatever his suit had injected him with was some sort of painkiller.

"Bù nán míngbái, nǐ de yìsi shì qiǎngjié wǒ zuì qǐmǎ." He seems either unaware of Mel and Snap, or simply chooses to ignore them, focusing instead completely on the two in the front seat.

"Rán'ér míngbái, wǒ kěyǐ lǐjiě zhè jǐnjǐn shì shēngyì, méiyǒu shé me gèrén." With a tight lipped smile he continues, "Wǒ huáiyí, wúlùn shuí gù nǐ yǒu wǒ zhèyàng zuò de zīyuán, yě bùshì tāmen yuànyì xiàng nǐ tígōng wǒ suǒ néng."

PraetorGradivus

"Shì de, zūnguì de xiānshēng, zhǐshì shēngyì. Wǒ, wǒ zhǐshì gè sījī. Zhè shì wǒ de shēngyì"
Chrome Head

A few moments earlier, Snap had leaned forward and touched Jack on the shoulder, magically lending him a sixth sense for detecting truth from false information.

<< @Team [Snap] Jack, I just casted a spell on you that works like a magical lie detector. Normally, I'd put it on myself, but I don't understand a word of what is going on. It'll feel like a negative vibe when he's intentionally lying, and like a good vibe when's being honest. It probably won't give you much more information than that, but you can try to converge in on the lie by asking more detailed questions when you want to figure out what part of a story is false. It might help if you look at him when he's talking. >>
PraetorGradivus
Chinatown, CAS Zone, 5:02 AM, September 12, 2075

"Dāng wǒmen dào gōngchǎng, zūnguì de xiānshēng, bù huì yǒu rènhé rén xiàng wǒmen shèjí. Duì bùduì?"

<<@Team[Sisco] I forgot not all of us speak Mandarin. Sorry folks. So, Snap, I just asked him if anyone will be shooting at us when we get to the plant. Hopefully Jack gets a good vibe.>>
Lobo0705

Huiquing continues the conversation with the ork, his voice a little stronger than before. "Gāi gōngchǎng bèi fàngqì, zhè jiùshì wèishéme wǒ xuǎnzéle tā."

He interlaces his fingers and continues, "Tā zuòluò zài yóu rènhé yīgè hēishèhuì de wú rén rènlǐng de yīgè qū. Kěnéng yǒu yīxiē liáo wū huò xiǎo tuánhuǒ."

His face remains tightlipped, "Zài zuì huài de qíngkuàng kěnéng huì yǒu yīxiē shí shī guǐ, dàn wǒ huáiyí gāi dìqū yǐ biàn dé rúcǐ diūshī."

Extending his forefingers for emphasis he finishes, "Wǒ bùnéng kào wǒ de rènhé méngyǒu zài zhège shíhòu. Xiànzài, nǐ de yōng bīng de běnnéng dōu shì wǒ kěyǐ yīkào. Zhè shì bùshì zài wǒ de zuì jiā lìyì, dàilǐng nín jìnrù yīgè xiànjǐng, yīgè wǒ xiǎng zuì kěndìng wúfǎ shēngcún."

Despite Snap's warning, Jack almost jumped as he felt something in him respond to Huiquing's words. It was as Snap described it, a sort of feeling of peace and the sound of small chime in his mind each time Huiquing spoke. While the sensation was pleasant enough, it still was most unsettling. Still, he didn't get the remotest sense of anything unpleasant, so he would have to assume he was speaking the truth.
PraetorGradivus

Sisco keeps driving while asking Huiquing, "Shùnbiàn shuō yījù, wèishéme nǐ bèi qiāngjī, guāngróng xiānshēng?"

<<@Team[Sisco] Just asked the Paper Fan why he was being shot at. This should be interesting.>>
Lobo0705
Chinatown, CAS Zone, 5:03 AM, September 12, 2075

Huiquing speaks quickly, and it is difficult for Sisco to follow, let alone Jack. "Wǒ huì rènwéi zhè shì míngxiǎn de, zhè shì yīgè ànshā. Wǒ zuì guānzhù de shì, wǒ bù zhīdào shuí shì tā de hòumiàn. Nánrén shuí xíjí wǒ de bǎobiāo, wǒ shì wǒ zìjǐ de gōngzuò rényuán."

He continues to speak vehemently and with a slight rise in volume, "Wǒ bùnéng kěndìng shuí zhīfù tāmen, dàn wǒ de érzi huì huí jiā, míngtiān wǎnshàng. Yǔ tāmen tuǒxié wǒ bìxū jǐnkuài jiějué zhège wèntí, zhīqián, tā bèi fàng zài gèng duō de wéixiǎn bǐ tā zài yǐjīng."

Again, Jack felt the tingling sensation that seemed to indicate that Huiquing was telling the truth.
PraetorGradivus

"Wǒ hěn bàoqiàn guāngróng juéshì wǒ kělián de yǔfǎ. Zhè shì yīcì ànshā qìtú, wǒ zhīdào. Rúguǒ nǐ zhīdào wèishéme yǒu yīgè ànshā wǒ xiǎng ]xúnwèn de?"
Jack VII

While Huiquing spoke, Jack sent a message to the team.

<<@Team [JustJack] So far, getting nothing but warm fuzzies from him. He seems to be worried about his son, who is conveniently out of town until tomorrow. I don't remember if we even knew if he has a son. Hmmm... anybody know if Triad rank is hereditary?>>
Chrome Head

Snap was feeling very powerless. That's it? That's all they're talking about?

<< @Team [Snap] No clue. But what about more immediate concerns, like his own life and what he's willing to pay us for it? Why was he being shot at? By whom? Any info about the warehouse? Who knows about it besides him? >>
Melpomene

Mel, multi-tasking again, nodded.

<<@Team [Melpomene] Let me see if I can get some info on his son and Triad ascension methods.>>

Jack VII

Jack frowned and sent a simple message.

<<@Team [JustJack] We're asking all of those questions, I'm just giving a summary. He's also a high-level Triad member... even though no one is around to see it, he isn't about to lose face by caving to any hardball questioning.>>

As Jack sent the message, Huiquing's eyebrow shot up at Sisco's question. "Zhè jiāng shì róngyì dé duō, rúguǒ wǒ zhīdào shuí huò wèishéme tāmen shìtú shā sǐ wǒ. Zhè jiùshì wèishéme wǒ yǒu nǐ dài wǒ qùle gōngchǎng. Wǒ bùnéng kěndìng wǒ zìjǐ de sān hé huì de chéngyuán bù chūlái yǒu wǒ táotài."
Melpomene

<<@Team [Melpomene] Well, then I'll just let you do the heavy lifting then.>>

ETA: After a moment...

<<@Team [Melpomene] Huiquing has one son, Bai. He's 15 years old, and attends Vandermay Academy in the CAS. Triad ascension doesn't follow strict heredity, but if (or when) Bai joins the Triads, he'll get a much higher position because of his father's existing status.>>
PraetorGradivus

<<@Team[Sisco] If dad get fragged by his own triad, I don't think Bal will be initiated into the ranks. Maybe a different triad, but not this one. Assuming he don't get fragged too.>>
Jack VII

Mostly eliminating Huiquing's son as a possible suspect, Jack turned to a different line of questions.

"Wèishéme nǐ rènwéi zhè jiā gōngchǎng shì ānquán de?"
Jack VII

Huiquing responded to Jack's question quickly. "Wǒ zuì guānzhù de shì hēishèhuì, wúlùn shì biérén háishì zài wǒ zìjǐ de yīgè pàibié. Wǒ bù xīwàng zìjǐ de shìlì fànwéi zhī nèi qù rènhé dìfāng. Gāi zhuāng píng chǎng yīzhí shì bèi yíqì de, yīnwèi 2058 nián, suǒyǐ suīrán tā bùjǐn shǔyú zìjǐ de fànwéi zhī wài, rènhé ānquán yě yīnggāi shì bù cúnzài de. Wǒ bùxiǎng bèi zhuā jiù rènhé ānquán shèxiàngtóu."

Nodding, the ork paused to get the rest of the team up to date on the situation.

<<@Team [JustJack] Here's where we're at so far. Huiquing doesn't know who is gunning for him, but he suspects either one of the other Triads or a faction within his own. The men Hao Fe took out were apparently his own matones, so either explanation could work. He's worried about his kid, since he thinks they may try to hit him next. As far as the bottling plant, he said it's been closed since 2058 and none of the Triads lay claim to it, so he thinks it should be safe. I'm sure we all agree we need to scout it out first. Now that he's laid out his position, we're going to see what all this is worth to him.>>

Message sent, Jack looked Huiquing square in the eye and asked, "Wǒmen wèishéme yào bāng nǐ? Wǒmen yǐjīng jiùle nǐ yīcì, yǒu duōshǎo shì zhídé ma?"
Jack VII
Chinatown, CAS Zone, 5:04 AM, September 12, 2075

Huiquing's eyes light up slightly, and his body relaxes slightly. Clearly he finds the prospect of negotiating far more comfortable than dodging bullets.

"Wǒ gǎnxiè nǐmen de jíshí jièrù, bìng huì gèngjiā gǎnxiè nǐ zài zhè zhòngyào de, ér bùshì huálì de yǎnshuō, dàn zài hánlěng de yìng tōnghuò de wéiyī huòbì. Wǒ bù zhīdào zhè xūyào duōjiǔ, dàn wǒmen rènwéi 5000 měitiān měi yīgè gùdìng qì, ránhòu yòu shì 200 shí, wǒ zhēngqǔ zǎo zài wǒ de quánlì dìwèi."

Without being prompted, Jack translated for the rest of the team.

<<@Team [JustJack] He's asking for our help to return him to power. He's offering 5K per person per day as a retainer and 200K to split between us at the end. Is that worth our rep?>>
PraetorGradivus

Sisco thinks about it for a second: Uncle Morty always said there's an opportunity around every corner. Yes uncle, yes there is.

<<@Team[Sisco] I know I'm just a sub-contractor on this gig but how about this Yank: Instead of a final payment of 200k ¥, ask him for somewher between 75-100k ¥ and the two items. We complete the mission. And you didn't actually promise to kill this White Paper Fan, did you?.>>
Chrome Head

I wish I could be negotiating myself. Or better yet, have Grease do it, he's pretty slick. Oh well.

<<@Team [Snap] I'm not interested in his offer as it stands and I'd rather just complete our job and get out of the CAS. His terms are not that great anyway, and we are in a good position to negotiate. I'd rather just counter-offer with his life against the same 200k than to take on yet another job. If he doesn't take that, we can trade down for the art we're actually after, and ask for extra nuyen for clearing out his house. But don't show him our hand just yet. Don't tell him what we're really after before he's giving us something to begin with. >>
Jack VII

Jack sighed, wishing he could put Snap on silent, but knowing that would likely get one or both of them killed. For someone who had just started running the shadows, she sure acted like she was the only one who knew the score. In any event, if this is how everyone wanted to negotiate now, he still wasn't sure why the frag they hadn't just capped Huiquing at the estate and gone for the art when they had the chance for the relatively easy 135K.

<<@Team [JustJack] No kidding? I'm not even sure why all of you are taking his ceiling of 200K as chip-truth. You always open with a low bid. While I don't think negotiating with him for the art is within the spirit of our job, Mrs. Johnson can't really complain about it. Let's see what we can work out.>>

Turning to Huiquing, he said, "Nín xiànzài de wèizhì zài zhèlǐ jiào ruò. Qǔxiāo wǒmen de hétóng jiāng sǔnhài wǒmen de shēngyù, wǒmen bùgǎn xìngqù de lìng yī fèn gōngzuò, yóuqí shì dìngyì rúcǐ zāogāo. Xiāngfǎn, zuò rènhé shìqíng duì nǐ de, wǒmen juédé 320000 shì yīgè gōngpíng de jiàgé wèi nín de shēnghuó. Nǐ bùshì ma?"
Lobo0705

Huiquing spread his hands slightly, and responded to Jack's latest proposal. "Nǐ zěnme jiànyì wǒ fù nǐ qián shí, wǒ yǒu wǒ de hùkǒu jìn bù qù? Wǒ bèi suǒdìng zài zhàndòu zhōng wǒ de zhǔrén, wǒ zhīdào, yīnwèi wǒ shì xiǎng tíxǐng ānquán, dàn wǒ de commcode bù zài shòulǐ."

He shakes his head, and sits back in the chair. "Jíshǐ wǒ zhāodài jiàgé zhèyàng yīgè huāngmiù de tiào, wǒ yě méi bànfǎ jiǎonà, zhídào wǒ huí dào wǒ de zīchǎn de kòngzhì quán."

His lips set in a hard line. "Wǒ céng hépíng bùjiǔ qián, wǒ kěyǐ jiārù wǒ de zǔxiān zài rènhé shíjiān, suǒyǐ nǐ bù huì yǒu wǒ qǐqiú wǒ de shēnghuó. Wǒ wéiyī dānxīn de shì wǒ de érzi. Wèile bǎohù tā, bìng zhīfù nǐ de qián, wéiyī de bànfǎ jiùshì bǎ wǒ dì dìfāng huílái de báilián zhī nèi."

Throughout all of this, Snap's spell continues to ring out clarion, vibrant tones in Jack's mind, letting him know that Huiquing is telling the truth.

"Nǐ shì wàidì rén, hé shòurén yīyàng, suǒyǐ suīrán nǐ kěnéng bù míngbái wǒ de yìsi de shìyán, wǒ jiāng shìsǐ yī dào nǐ la. Jiù wǒ de érzi. Huīfù wǒ de quánlì, bìng jiǎnglì jiāng shì jùdà de. Wǒ fāshì zài wǒ de zǔxiān de línghún."

He closes his eyes, saying only, "Fǒuzé, xiànzài shāle wǒ, wǒ huì kàn xiàlái de láishì wǒ de érzi." before beginning a slow, steady stream of Chinese in a sing-song voice.
Jack VII

Jack did his best not to roll his eyes. This was about how he expected it to go down.

<<@Team [JustJack] Unsurprisingly, he isn't a big fan of paying more for our help. With that said, I feel like we can probably negotiate for the artwork. Haven't asked yet, just a gut feeling. On the downside, he claims to be locked out of his accounts due to the coup, or whatever this is, so we're not guaranteed anything until we finish the job. He basically wants us to rescue his son and return him to power and that he will reward us greatly. Snap's spell says all this drek is true. I don't know, I think it would be easier just to cap him. Most of us are running around illegally in the CAS with no visas. How long are we going to stay in front of Knight-Errant like that?>>

Jack pretended to consider Huiquing's offer while he waited to hear the rest of the team chime in.
Chrome Head

Meh, what can we do.

<<@Team [Snap] Someone like him probably has certified credsticks hidden somewhere, we could ask about that. But otherwise I agree, we might as well just focus on getting the art any way we can, and get the hell out. After claiming our 50k prize of course. >>
PraetorGradivus

He got him praying to his ancestors... what a mess. I'm low man on the totem pole- no way I'm gonna get that Yankee to tone it done a notch. Uncle Morty- what would you do? Beats me but you'd probably say it serves me right for dealing with Yankees in the first place.

On impulse, Sisco blurts out, "Going under for a bit to feel the road."

Sisco enters cold simsense, becomes Mr T, leaves his worries behind and enjoys the feeling of racing down the highway.
Melpomene

Dear God, what have we gotten ourselves into?

<<@Team [Melpomene] My initial reaction to this was to just kill him and bug out of the sector. But if Jack has a good feeling about getting the art, we should try that. The worst that happens in the negotiating is that he says he can't (or he says he can, and we detect his lies), and we just go ahead and cap him. If he can secure the art for us in exchange for his life, I'd rather go that route.>>
Jack VII

Fingering the trigger of his SMG, Jack was really considering geeking Huiquing right there. The guy was no saint. It would even be somewhat inline with the way true professionals would carry themselves. But it would be in cold blood and the ork had no real proof that Huiquing was any worse than any of the other Triads in town. He let his conscience get the better of him.

"Suǒyǐ, nǐ pángbiān yǒu méiyǒu gěi wǒmen tígōng, chúfēi wǒmen tóngyì bāngzhù nǐ. Nǐ wènle hěnduō guānyú xìnyǎng hé xìnniàn bù huā hǎo. Zhège zěnme yàng, 100000 zài qiánmiàn, zhè jiāng shì xīnchóu wǔ tiān. Rúguǒ wǒmen chénggōngle, 100000 de gèng duō, wǒmen kěyǐ cǎiqǔ liǎng gè xiàngmù dì jiàzhí, cóng nǐ de fángzi. Wǒmen tiāo, bù wèn rènhé wèntí."
Lobo0705
Chinatown, CAS Zone, 5:05 AM, September 12, 2075

Huiquing ceases his chanting with a wry chuckle. "Wǒ shòuchǒngruòjīng, nǐ juédé wǒ suíshēn xiédài nàme duō qián duì wǒ de rén." He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a silver credstick.

"Wǒ tōngcháng bǎoliú yīxiē qián zài shǒu, yǒu 15000 duì zhège. Tā de yīqiè wǒ dū zài wǒ shēnshang."

Straightening his coat, he finishes, "Zhìyú nǐ de tiáojiàn de qíyú bùfèn, wǒ tóngyì. Èrshí wàn, ér liǎng gè xiàngmù cóng wǒjiā de pínghéng. Cóng biǎomiàn shàng kàn nàxiē nǐ yào lái bǎi zài shǒuwèi tōu."
Jack VII

<<@Team [JustJack] OK, looks like the final offer is a 15K advance on the credstick, the balance of the 200K on completion, and our pick of two items of value from his house. In exchange, we rescue his son and somehow put him back in power. Thoughts?>>

Normally, Jack enjoyed negotiations, but having to play as interpreter using a chip somehow made the whole process way more onerous.
Chrome Head

<< @Team[Snap] We don't even know what that job means, when is it truly over? And once in power, he might change his mind about paying us. We're also in a zone we don't know, no one's got our back. I wouldn't do it, it's too dangerous. >>
Melpomene

<<@Team [Melpomene] Jack, when you say "...somehow put him back in power", is that you editorializing, or does he not actually know how that can be done? Here's my feeling. I'm usually not an assassin. I was completely fine with the smash-and-grab, and was much less comfortable with killing him. If it's killing him or not get paid, I'll suck it up and pull the trigger. I'm not so worried about him reneging...there's a lot of honor involved here. We saved his life, and if we rescue his son, I don't think he'll backstab us. I'm for the rescue, but I'm incredibly concerned about the "putting him back in power" business.

Mel looks directly at Jack, and speaks out loud.

"Does he have any clue what that entails?"
Jack VII

Jack mentally nodded, appreciating Mel's composure.

<<@Team [JustJack] I imagine putting him back in power is going to involve identifying who put the hit on him and returning the favor. So far, he claims he doesn't know who has it out for him. Snap's spell bears that out. Aside from the other Triads, when Grease was digging at the bar, he turned over some rumores about Huiquing possibly being an informant or something to that effect, so could be someone within his own group.>>

Jack paused to see if Huiquing made any indication he understood what Mel had said. Hell, if he speaks English, this whole thing would go a lot easier. After a second, once he remembered the spell Snap had cast, he asked Huiquing directly, "Nǐ liǎojiě tā ma? Nǐ huì shuō yīngyǔ ma?"
Lobo0705

Huiquing although he seems to have disregarded Mel's statement when she spoke it, responds to Jack with a tentative nod.

"Yes, I speak English, a little." Thinking a moment to formulate the words, he continues. "It is much easier for me in Chinese."
Melpomene

Mel cleared her throat.

"Thank you. I will let my comrade here continue to lead this conversation, as I only got the highlights of what you had already said. But may I ask...does your son live with you, or with someone else?"
Lobo0705

Huiquing tilts his head and listens, taking a moment before he answers. When he responds, he does so to Jack. "Bai stays at the Vandermay Academy." He continues, speaking slowly in an effort to be understood. "He is coming home today to go to an event with me."

Flipping open his commlink, he checks the time. "He sleeps late. I think he will be here at noon."
Jack VII

"Sounds like you're going to have to cancel your attendance." Jack quipped. "Zài nǐ kàn lái, shuí shì bèihòu tōuxí?"

<<@Team [JustJack] I just asked him who he thought was most likely to blame for the attack. Maybe we can get an idea of what we're likely up against.>>
Lobo0705

Despite the seriousness of the situation, Jack's comment puts a ghost of a smile on Huiquing's face. "Wǒ zuì dānxīn de jīnsānjiǎo. Wǒmen de zǔzhī yīzhí zài péi lǜ de shíjiān zuì zhǎng, wǒ huì rènwéi tāmen jiāng shì zuì yǒu kěnéng de. Dànshì, wǒ wúfǎ jiāng zìjǐ de zǔzhī nèi wúshì qítā chéngyuán, jǐnguǎn tā shì duì sānshíliù gè yuè xuānshì zhī yī"

Stopping himself, his lips set in a line, he begins again, more slowly this time. "The Golden Triangle is a fierce rival. They have much to gain in any attack against us. It is dishonorable, but I have to say it is also possible it is one of us. The men who were waiting in the driveway and shot at us were part of my own security team." He mutters a few choice words in Chinese, low enough that Jack and Sisco are only able to make out a few expletives, and then he continues.

"I cannot say who else was in the house, so it is possible that they were bought off by the Golden Triangle." Looking expectantly at Jack, he finishes, "Should I take this to mean we have an agreement?"
Jack VII

"Not yet," Jack replied in English. "Let's say it was someone inside the White Lotus. If you had to guess, who is most likely responsible?"

Jack wasn't sure if Sisco had installed audio pick-ups in Mr. T, so he went ahead and sent the rigger a message.

<<@Sisco [JustJack] Didn't you say you had connections with one of the other Triads? May want to ping them and see if they have any idea about this attack.>>
PraetorGradivus

<<@Jack[Sisco] I've had some dealings with the Golden Triangle. Want me to hit them up after we secure the team?>>
Jack VII

<<@Sisco [JustJack] Probably a good idea, our guy seems to think they're most likely the ones who set up the hit on him. I think it might be someone inside his group. Best to play it safe either way.>>

Sisco's comment about securing the team reminded him of how sore he was from wrenching his shoulder going over the monowire fence. Definitely need some rest...
Lobo0705
Chinatown, CAS Zone, 5:06 AM, September 12, 2075

Huiquing thinks about Jack's question for a moment. "I would say that it would either be Ong Jianyu or Guang Zhao. Both are in a position to gain prominence within the Triad should I be removed." He continues in halting English, "I do not think either is my friend, but I do not count them as enemies. At least yet."
Jack VII

<<@Team [JustJack] Anyone changing their mind? I'm leaning toward doing it. If we can pull it off, we have the best shot at maintaining our reps and getting the best payout. Grabbing the kid should hopefully be easy, taking down Huiquing's opposition... probably not.>>
Melpomene

<<@Team [Melpomene] I'm definitely in for a rescue. Once that goes down, assuming we're still alive, we can probably check our status and go from there.>>
Chrome Head

The young shaman from the Warrens was always willing to go on an adventure, but the stress of the situation -- and the headaches were certainly not helping -- was making her less confident this time around.

<<@Team [Snap] I'm still leaning against it. We're in a foreign country, we don't know anyone here, and the job was supposed to be short. The extra money is tempting though, I'll be honest, so I'll go along if you're all in. One request though, no more fighting before I can get a couple hours of rest, my head is killing me. >>
Jack VII

<<@Team [JustJack] If we take the 15K, we may be able to shake loose fake SINs for those of us that need them. I guess it's a good thing the only two people we know here are both fixers. Let's take Mel's approach... we agree to get the kid and then see how we feel about the rest of it. If it looks too tough, we can try to figure out another way to get the goods.>>

Holding the credstick, Jack said to Huiquing, "We've got a partial deal. We'll help to secure your son in exchange for the credstick and a bill for 85K. Once that's done, we'll decide if we're going to help you with the rest of it. First though, we need to secure the bottling plant and some of us are going to need to rest. Is that agreeable to you?"
Lobo0705
Chinatown, CAS Zone, 5:07 AM, September 12, 2075

Huiquing nodded, a curt motion, and then brought his head back up. "Yes. It is good."

Sisco, monitoring the team's messaging back and forth, was trying to relax and shake off the pain of his side and shoulder. Wonder what they will finally come up with back there.

In the meantime, he could feel a slight ache in his hip, Need to get the rear axle looked at. Mr. T is starting to get a little old on me. Still, should have time later today before things get too hairy. As the van entered an intersection, he almost ate those words, as a red Honda came barreling at him from the left.

His reflexes taking over far faster than conscious thought, he opened up the throttle on Mr. T, slewing it into a skid that swing the back of the van forward, so that they were almost heading sideways down the road. The Honda missed by about 10 meters, sailing across the intersection and screeching to a halt as it overshot its target.

<<@Team [Sisco] Hold on back there, this might get bumpy.>> With a brief effort of will he counterspun the steering column, the van skidding back the other way as he was once again heading down the street. Time to earn my pay now. He began accelerating away, pretty sure he would be able to lose the Honda before it came out of its spin. The engine raced in time with his heartbeat as he saw two more cars screech onto the road behind him, chewing up the distance between them. Well, this just got more interesting...
Lobo0705
Chinatown, CAS Zone, 5:08 AM, September 12, 2075

Now that he was in the driver's seat, Sisco truly sprang to life, switching to hot-sim, where every part of him felt more alive. Seeing the two cars behind him, he accelerated, forcing them to keep up. Flashing between cars, he skidded into an alley, the back of his van bumping the building ever so slightly as it to the hair-pin turn. The pursuing cars slewed into one another, and the team could hear the hideous noise of metal on metal as they vanished from view.

Chinatown, CAS Zone, 5:13 AM, September 12, 2075

After 5 tense minutes had passed, the team felt it was safe to relax, no further signs of pursuit had appeared. Coming back to AR for a moment, he turned to Jack and said, "Should I head to that manufacturing plant now?"
Jack VII

"Not sure we should head there until we figure out how they found us. Anyone have ideas? Mel, any sign of drones or MARKs that otherwise shouldn't be there?"

Jack was very worried that they had been so easily found.
Melpomene

After a few seconds...

<<@Team [Melpomene] Nothing out of the ordinary around us...mostly parked cars. I'll keep a virtual eye out.>>
Lobo0705
Old Pepsi Bottling Plant, CAS Zone, 5:30 AM, September 12, 2075

After 15 more minutes of driving, using all the tricks he knows to avoid anyone following him, Sisco pulls his Mr. T up outside the old bottling plant.

The sun is just beginning to show signs of its arrival on the horizon, the world around the team is a sullen gray. The area around the plant is worn down, the buildings all showing signs of age and wear, without the upkeep necessary to maintain them.

To Sisco, it is a reminder of how dilapidated a district can become once money stops flowing into it. To the denizens of the Warrens, it looks as if it were three steps up from their current home.

It is still early, but there are several vagabonds wandering to and fro from through the disused parking lots, or huddled around fires in the chill morning air.

The Matrix in this area is mostly dark, a few personas wander about near Mel, their images grainy in image and jerky in their motion, their cheap 'links barely able to connect them to the public grid.

PraetorGradivus
Old Pepsi Bottling Plant, CAS Zone, 5:30 AM, September 12, 2075

Sisco jacks out from VR and returns to the real world which in a way feels less real than being jumped in.

He drops the empty clip with Grease's stuff and takes the clip with the gel round swapping it out for the APDS in his Smartgun.

"Hopefully I won't need this- but better safe than sorry as Uncle Morty used to say."

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012