Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (IC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Lobo0705
Old Pepsi Bottling Plant, CAS Zone, 5:35 AM, September 12, 2075

"Now that we are here, let's check the place out." Snap looks at Mel and Jack, "Can you get Grease's drone up and running?"

Mel nods, cranking the music up in her ears as she extends the cord from her datajack. Singing under her breath "....to the danger zone....gonna take me ridin' to the danger zone..." she connects to the microdrone and affixes two treble clefs to the drone's icon. Withdrawing the cord, she opens her hand, releasing the insect-like drone into the air. Sisco lowers the window, and the Fly Spy zips out into the early morning air.

"Jack, I think you need to be our physical eyes and ears in there." Concentrating, she reaches out and lays her hand on Jack's shoulder. He again can feel the flow of mana leaking into his bones, and feels a bombardment of sensory input. It almost overloads his brain before he is able to bring it under control.

Closing his eyes, he can feel the presence of other life forms, insects, birds, rats, and metahumans. Steadying himself with his good arm, he takes a minute to adjust. "You should now be able to sense the presence of others close to you." Snap leans back wearily in her seat, her own vision almost double with the strain of sustaining the two spells on Jack. Mel puts a steadying hand on her shoulder, and concentrates on the drone for a moment.

"I'm routing the drone's video feed to you now." The team can see the aerial view of the factory appear in their vision, the building sprawling for hundreds of meters along the river. Fencing surrounds the building itself, but huge gaps in the fencing allow entry to anything smaller than a Ares Riotmaster. The parking lot is empty except for the occasional derelict car, and a single forklift that sits like a funereal gargoyle over a graveyard of broken and rotting pallets.
Lobo0705
Old Pepsi Bottling Plant, CAS Zone, 5:40 AM, September 12, 2075

Satisfied that there is no immediate threat outside the building, Jack eases himself out of Mr. T and begins to move through the quiet early morning light toward the fence. Slipping through a gap in the fencing, he walks across the courtyard, the drone still sending its feed through his 'jack.

Although there were no signs of any danger, he still felt naked on that long walk across the parking lot, the factory looming up over him, the plexi-glass windows black and cavernous. He kept jumping at shadows, trying to get used to the extra senses that Snap had given him, and several times he caught himself about to draw and fire at movement out of the corner of his eye, only to realize it was a large rodent that the mystical power allowed him to perceive.

He reached the factory without incident, and concentrated, trying to use his altered senses to "see" if there was anything beyond the door. Sensing nothing, he heaved on the door, the hinges making a hideous squealing sound as he opened it. Wincing at the pain in his shoulder, he entered the factory, finding himself surrounded by broken and disused bottling machines. He could hear a low chittering off in the distance, but his altered senses didn't pick up any life forms near him.
Chrome Head

Snap followed along, but at a distance, waiting for Jack's hand signal at every corner. Her concentration was all on maintaining the spells, and she used what was left of her alertness to passively observe her surroundings. Old industrial buildings were a sad sight, especially in the astral, and she didn't dare open her third eye yet, for fear of what she might see.
Lobo0705

<<@Mel [JustJack] There is a lot of open space in here, I could use an extra set of eyes. Can you get the Fly Spy in here?>>

Mel obliged, sending the little drone through the door Jack held open, letting it zip up toward the high vaulted ceiling and begin a quick circuit of the room. Jack watched the feed, nodding to Snap, thankful that the elf had backed him up. The drone hadn't detected movement, although there appeared to be a motionless humanoid form about 40 meters to the east of their position.

Jack and Snap began to move cautiously through the facility, heading toward one of the doors the Fly Spy had found for them. There were four of these, two of them stood open, while the other two were closed. The nearest took them directly past the form spotted by the Fly Spy, and Jack tightened his grip on his SMG. His senses weren't picking up any life forms, so he was not surprised when he found the lifeless body of an old man, his body laying up against the wall.

His face, what was left of it, was almost peaceful, and his arms rested at his sides, although his fingers were missing. A quick search of the body found nothing of value on him at all, whatever he owned had been stripped away by human scavengers even as his flesh had been by the non-human ones.

The door to the office was just 2 meters away, and although it was closed, Jack still could not feel any life forms nearby.
Jack VII

Jack paused, silently invoking a prayer for the dead man, hoping the crimes committed against him were post mortem. Gathering himself, he gestured to Snap to cover him while he checked the office. Moving to the side of the door, the ork reached out and tested the knob, checking to see if the door was unlocked.
Lobo0705

The handle turned slowly, and the door moved easily inward. Jack checked the interior, but nothing stirred. The room had been ransacked long ago, the contents gone or strewn about the floor. A single desk was still in the room, along with a shelving unit that had collapsed against the far wall.

One chair was smashed, and the scorch marks on the cement flooring seemed to indicate that it had been used for fuel. The other, although the padding had been torn away, possibly for use as bedding by one of the other denizens, still seemed functional, and looked like it would support someone's weight, although Jack did not want to press his luck.

The office had one window, facing out over the parking lot, and Jack peered out through it, keeping to one side to avoid being seen. No one was in view, for now.
Jack VII

Jack sent a message back to the team.

<<@Team [JustJack] There's a small office that might work. Fairly defensible. One body found so far, stripped of gear and apparently nibbled on. Not sure if animal or... something else. Moving to check the rest of the building.>>

The ork motioned for Snap to continue following him, seeking to clear the rest of the perimeter. Once concluded, he would work on the interior, thankful for the feed from the Fly-Spy.
Lobo0705
Old Pepsi Bottling Plant, CAS Zone, 5:55 AM, September 12, 2075

Fifteen tense minutes passed as Jack and Snap went from office to office, checking them for any signs of life. One by one they cleared them, each in a greater state of disarray than the last. Still, the damage had the look of squatters stripping the offices bare than that of combat. They found two more bodies, each one in similar states of decay. Each one was similar to the last, ragged clothing, no shoes, and nothing of value.

The Fly Spy moved from rafter to rafter, scanning the floor with thermographic as Jack moved from room to room with Snap close behind. Finally, convinced that the building was empty, Jack messaged back to the others, <<@Team [JustJack] The building is clear, no one here but us.>>
PraetorGradivus
Old Pepsi Bottling Plant, CAS Zone, 5:15 AM, September 12, 2075

Sisco thought to himself, If the Yanks knew I was from Atlanta they'd just say I was naturally prejudiced against Pepsi because Coca Cola is headquartered there. And maybe there was a grain of truth there- Uncle Morty did work for them as a driver as a screen to his real profession- but, in all honesty, Coke just taste better. Anyone who thinks otherwise has defective taste buds. The only reason to feel sorry this plant is closed down, is all the poor slobs that don't have a job that could be making something if this was still an ongoing operation. Well, neither here or there as Uncle Morty used to say.

<<@Team[Sisco] Hey Jack, you want Mel and Me to bring in the White Paper Fan now...or do you you want to come all the way back and do it together?>>
Jack VII

<<@Team [JustJack] Sounds good, Snap can take up position in the first office we found. There's a window there, so she should be able to work her mojo if needed.>>

Jack retraced his steps back to the van, feeling a bit more confident now that he had been able to put his eyes on the place. Opening the sliding door, he said, "Alright, let's go."

The ork lead the rest of the team back to the first office they had searched. "Most of us are pretty beat, so let's grab some shut-eye for a few hours. Mel, can you keep the first watch? Let's say two hours? With the drone and Mr. T, we should be able to get a decent view of the area. Snap. can you ask one of your spirits to guard the facility? Once we grab at least a little rest, we'll need to talk about getting the kid."

<<@Team [JustJack] It goes without saying that we need to keep an eye on Huiquing, too. Make sure he doesn't go after any of our weapons.>>
Melpomene

"Yeah, no problem. Who's taking second shift...just so I know to wake you up after my two hours."

Mel set up her deck on the desk, and took out her electronics kit. Knowing that she'd have to take the deck off-line to repair it, she'll not start repairs until after her shift is over.

She'll continue to monitor the fly-spy, while keeping an actual eye on Huiquing.

Lobo0705

Safely ensconced within the office, the team prepared to get a little rest. Snap dropped her extra-sensory enhancements on Jack, and reached out to the Astral, bringing a willowy spirit of Air to her side. As the spirit arrived, the temperature in the room lowered a few degrees. "We will be resting, wake me if anyone intrudes astrally in this room."

With a hollow, funereal sound to its voice, the spirit spoke slowly, "Yes mistress", and vanished back to the Astral. Jack attempted to get some rest, laying on the floor near the desk. Snap leaned up against the corner, closing her eyes and meditating. Sisco lay down as well, but tossed and turned. Every time he closed his eyes, all he could see was that child's face, and his broken, lifeless body.

Huiquing, meanwhile, sat in the corner, and pulled up an image of his son on his 'link. Mel watched him carefully, making sure that he never went live on the Matrix, and after a few minutes the older Chinese man succumbed to exhaustion and fell asleep.

Melpomene

Mel sat back in the slightly-creaky office chair, her deck in front of her, her Crusader II just to the deck's right, the barrel aimed toward the door. She stopped moving, and cracnked up the sensitivity of her cyberears. She could hear five distinct heartbeats, including her own, as well as corresponding breathing patterns. She could tell that Snap, Jack, and Huiquing were asleep, while Sisco was struggling mightily. Clearly something was keeping him from a sound sleep.

She looked at the decrepit office and shook her head, smiling ruefully. Can't get enough of this 'Runner lifestyle.
Lobo0705
Old Pepsi Bottling Plant, CAS Zone, 10:00 AM, September 12, 2075

It had been a quiet couple of hours for the team. Mel, Snap and Jack had all been dozing since around 8:30, while Sisco paced. As the day grew brighter outside, he saw more and more movement out of the window, but it all appeared to be harmless vagrants wandering out to get their fix for the day.

After what seemed an eternity, Huiquing awoke, rubbing his eyes and holding his head a little as he rose too quickly. Sisco sent out a quick alert to the rest of his team, bringing them to consciousness. As the team slowly stretched and came alert, Huiquing spoke haltingly, "We have two hours before my son is due to leave his school. What information can I provide to help you?"

Jack, still a little groggy, had a message flashing in his retina. Opening it with a thought, he read it quickly.

<<@To whom it may concern [K.Dakak @Klein, Smith, and Johnson] I have received your voucher and gone to see Mr. Moss. I will be representing him in his pending case. He has authorized me to withdraw his retainer from his own funds, and issue a refund of your initial retainer of 500 nuyen.gif. Your voucher is attached. He also instructed me to send you a personal message, "See you on the other side.">>

Seeing the bags under Sisco's eyes, and the stiff way he is pacing, Snap walks over and lays her hands on his chest, concentrating for a moment. Sisco can feel the pain subside after a few seconds, and only a dull ache remain. Nodding his thanks, he rubs his chest absently.

PraetorGradivus

Hearing Huiquing's comment got Sisco to thinking:
What information do we need? Hmmm. And what would Uncle Morty do to minimize the threat here. The shell game...that's it. Uncle Morty was always good at hiding the ball anywhere but the shell that you pointed at.

"After we leave here, I suggest we have Huiquing call a discreet motel and reserve a room for three days using his commlink from some public place then put it offline. Whoever is after him probably has a decker keeping tabs. They'll waste manpower checking where he made the call from and manpower watching the motel that we'll never arrive at. While they're wasting time, we pick up the kid and deal with whoever is keeping tabs on him."
Melpomene

"That's a good idea, Sisco."

<<@JustJack [Melpomene] So on a side note, what are we going to do with Grease's drones? I can't keep hacking them, and transferring ownership is more than a little risky as well as a pain in the ass. I don't want to abandon the tech either. Do you have a way to get in touch with Grease? Is that even a good idea?>>
Jack VII

<<@Mel [JustJack] His lawyer just buzzed me, but I don't think we want to try to route messages that way. If it gets to be too much of a thing, I guess just shut them down and we'll carry them with us.>>

The big ork nodded. "Good plan. Once we get that squared away, if we can spot junior's comm, we can probably get a message to him as well. Just so he doesn't get scared when a big ork shows up to extract him."
Lobo0705
Old Pepsi Bottling Plant, CAS Zone, 10:01 AM, September 12, 2075

Huiquing spoke up at the exchange, addressing Sisco. "Hǎo zhǔyì. Wǒ hěn lèyì bāngmáng."

Sisco nodded, sending a quick message to the rest of the team <<@Team [Sisco] Paper Fan likes that idea too.>>

Huiquing stays silent a moment longer, before turning to Snap. He speaks in a clipped, almost stilted tone. "I've noticed that you are skilled in the magical arts. We have used the Awakened in our interrogations before, do you have the ability to know if someone is lying? Once we get my son, I have several people I can reach out to, and if we could know if they were turned or not, it would help very much."
Chrome Head

Snap had no intention of giving that man any more information than needed, but, of course he had a good idea. "Magic or not, I need to see their reaction in person to tell whether they're truthful. But yeah, I can help with that."
Lobo0705

"Understood. We will have to arrange the meetings carefully, somewhere you can observe them unseen, but public enough that they won't attempt anything should they be turned. But we can deal with that after Bai is safe."

Turning to Jack and Sisco, "Are we ready to get my son? Do you have a fix on where he is?"
Melpomene

Mel was about to speak up, but figured that she should let the people who could actually speak the man's language do the talking.

<<@Team [Melpomene] I have a fix on the son. He's on the campus of Vandermay Academy. I will exload an ARO of the campus. Once we are close enough, I should be able to pinpoint his exact location.
PraetorGradivus
Uncle Morty would say we're walking into a trap. He'ld also say the best way to deal with a trap is spring it. What's life without a little excitement...neh?

"I guess I am going to be as ready as I'll ever be. Let's get the show on the road."
Jack VII

Jack had been largely quiet. Nodding in agreement, he said, "One thing. We're heading to a school. Non-lethal munitions only. Does anyone have a problema with that?" The ork gathered his gear and made ready to depart.
PraetorGradivus
"I only have one clip's worth of gel rounds... hopefully we wont need it. And I guess hand-to-hand is always an option."
Melpomene
Mel nods, mentally tallying her non-lethal ammo.

"No problem here."
Chrome Head

"And of course I have several non-lethal means of dealing with situations. Let's get going!"

Time for action!

As they are getting in the car, Snap sends a message using her trodes.

<<@Team [Snap] So what do we do once we're there? What is Huiqing going to tell his kid? In person or over 'links?>>
PraetorGradivus

<<@Team[Sisco] Simple really. We ask the kid to get in the van and when the guys who are watching him start shooting at us, we take them out without killing any kids. And hopefully, we're all richer at the end of this.>>

I'm sure Uncle Morty would have said it with more savoir faire but unfortunately I'm not Uncle Morty.
Jack VII

Jack frowned and said out loud, "We need to get eyes on the area. Then we can develop something like a plan. Mel, if you can get virtual eyes on both 'links, can you tell if anyone is listening in on them? It would be safest if our client contacts his son via commlink. Then we extract him. Possibly have our client tell his son to meet at a location using language that only they would know? Might help to eliminate some of the opposition if it isn't at the school."
Chrome Head

"That sounds good," agreed Snap, while painfully imagining how she would feel if she'd heard her own adoptive daughter had been injured -- or worse. I don't want to kill any children if we can help it.

"We wouldn't want to have a firefight at a school, and your idea might actually show us who's following Bai."
Melpomene

Mel nodded. "To bug a 'link, you need a MARK. If someone's MARKed the kid's 'link, I can Trace them. So yeah...the closer I can get to the 'link, the better."
Lobo0705
En route to Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:25 AM, September 12, 2075

It had been a quiet ride through the countryside. The team felt a little better after their rest, although they were tense about the trials to come. Huiquing had been quiet most of the trip, but as they approached Castle Rock, he spoke quietly to Mel in stilted English.

"Is it your wish I turn on my commlink now? Are you ready in case someone tries to trace it?" As Mel nods, and Huiquing begins to power it on, he continues, "Should I tell Bai that we will pick him up outside his dorm?"

As Mel hesitated a moment, thinking it over, Huiquing continued. "There is a gate and guard post at the entrance to the campus. Although I am not on the visitor list for today, they know me, and so we should not have a problem entering. Although I think we should keep the two women out of sight. You do not look like someone I am normally seen with, and might arouse suspicion."
Lobo0705
En route to Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:35 AM, September 12, 2075

Mel nodded an affirmative to Huiquing, for both the decision to meet Bai at his dorm as well as her staying out of sight. Although perfectly acceptable in the Warrens, Snap and Mel's appearance would be quite a shock in an upper-class boarding school. Pulling the Fly-Spy out of her pocket, she extended the cable from her datajack to the drone, plugging it into the underside of the abdomen. With a few seconds work, she had the icon Marked twice, and let it go, having it sit on her lap.

Snap, meanwhile, reached out for her own assistance, letting her consciousness wing through the Astral until she found what she was looking for, a lithe, willowy form floating along through the ether. At a quick word from her, the spirit turned, following her call back to the CAS, where it took up position floating about the car as it traveled through the town of Castle Rock.

Jack clambered over the back seat, his bulky form barely squeezing through as he began to change. He was focused on the task at hand, and did not blush as he removed his shirt, burn marks and knife and bullet wounds showing against his skin. Soon he was back into his tailored suit, looking every inch the respectable bodyguard.

Just outside Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:35 AM, September 12, 2075

The van pulled over to the side of the road, and Sisco rolled down the window enough for Mel's Fly Spy to float out and up into the clouds. Soon it began transmitting its signal back to the van, showing a vast campus with a football field, baseball diamond, multiple tennis courts, and buildings that screamed "expensive".

Mel quickly superimposed an ARO showing the location of Bai's commlink, approximately 1/2 mile from the entrance. The road they were heading down entered the campus via a guarded gate, with Knight Errant guards visible both in the guard shack and patrolling the campus.
Lobo0705
En route to Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:36 AM, September 12, 2075

Stepping out of the van, Snap gives a concerned look to Jack, not liking leaving him alone with Huiquing and Sisco. He seems alright, but we just met him. "Stay safe, we'll be here if you need us." The ork winks and adjusts his tie as Sisco wills the door shut with a mental command.

She and Mel quickly head off the road and into the brush, and the decker finding a reasonably comfortable stretch of ground beneath a tree. "I'll need you to watch my back Snap, I'm going in." Snap nods and looks around checking a nearby gully to see if anyone or anything is concealed within it. Settling down for a long wait, she reached out mentally to the spirits she had summoned, deriving a sense of comfort from the response from both of them.
Lobo0705
En route to Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:40 AM, September 12, 2075

As the van approached the gate, Sisco and Jack could hear Huquing speaking with Bai, the conversation almost, but not quite, too quick to follow along. Huiquing's voice never raised above a speaking tone, but they could hear the urgency in it. After a moment, he hung up, and said, "Bai will meet us outside his dorm. I will do the talking at the gate."

The van pulled up outside the gatehouse, a building constructed of stone and marble, the design aesthetic of the 19th century clashing slightly with the security concerns of the 21st. A Knight Errant security guard exited the building, and Sisco rolled the window down. " Good morning sir, who are you here to see please?"

"My son, Chen Bai." With a gesture, he transmitted his SIN to the guard, who looked it over. The seconds ticked by, and it seemed like forever before the guard seemed satisfied.

He looked at Sisco, who gave a friendly smile, and then turned to Huiquing and said, "Ok, Mr. Chen. Do you know the way?" Huiquing nodded, and the officer made a simple gesture to open the gate, "Your son seems very popular, you are the third person to sign in to see him today." With a brief smile, he waved them through, and began to walk back to the gatehouse.

Side of the road, 2 miles from Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:40 AM, September 12, 2075

<Mel soared through the Matrix, shedding the confines of the public grid and stepping onto the local one. Although unfamiliar, it was still leaps and bounds better, the digital static much more subdued. She quickly located the Vandermay Host, which appeared as a railway station with a single large passenger train in the terminal. She pulled out her viola, and after a surprisingly difficult hack, managed to affiix a single clef note onto the wall of the terminal. Stepping inside, she felt her icon tremble as the sculpted system took hold of her. She looked down at herself and swore violently under her breath. floating along the ground until she found a mirror-like surface, she studied the long, floral dress and bonnet she now wore. Gritting her teeth, she proceeded to look around at the various other personas in the train station, similarly attired. The things I do for money...>
PraetorGradivus
Turning to Huiquing, Sisco says "Dàoqiàn. Wǒ yào wèn zūnguì de xiānshēng: Jù nǐ suǒ zhī, nǐ de érzi jiāng bù huì cānyù zhè yī yīnmóu? Tóngyàng, wǒ duì zhège wèntí biǎoshì qiànyì."
Lobo0705
Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:41 AM, September 12, 2075

To his credit, Huiquing does not answer immediately. He takes a moment to consider, then says, "Wǒ bù zhème rènwéi, wǒ rèqiè xīwàng bù huì. Wǒ yīzhí yǔ bái de guānxì hěn hǎo, wǒ bù zhīdào shénme huì dǎozhì tā dǎkāile wǒ. Rúguǒ nǐ zhèngzài xúnzhǎo yīgè dānbǎo suīrán, wǒ bùnéng gěi nǐ."

PraetorGradivus
Uncle Morty would say that at least he's an honest crook. Well, good enough for me.

<<@Team[Sisco] Going in now. Mel/Snap, looks like we're heading into a hostage situation>>

Sisco stays in the meat world as he drives through the gate and towards the dorm.
Lobo0705
Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:42 AM, September 12, 2075

Mr. T moved up the stately avenues of the campus slowly, watching as students wandered about, each dressed in clothing that cost as much as most families earned in a month. The vast majority were human, but a couple of elves could be seen, as well as single dwarf. So, we aren't exactly going to be inconspicuous. Great.

<<Mel moved through the train station, the host packed with other personas. The majority were dressed as she was, males and females in traditional 19th century clothing. Others that she assumed were faculty, were dressed in tuxedos, and moved through the area with studied indifference to the milling throng around them. Finally, there were a series of train employees, dressed in uniform. She pulled out her violin, and found that it had been replaced by a pair of knitting needles. Shrugging, she spun one around her fingers, and proceeded to tap out a rhythm on the wall of the station. The data flowed out from her, seeking the commlink she knew to be Bai's. Once she had found it, her rhythm changed, becoming more insistent, and she Marked the teen's 'link so she could keep tabs on it. As a guard passed by, she curtsied, or at least did a passable imitation of one, and then continued to search for anything out of the ordinary.>>

Sisco pulled Mr. T up to the dorm, and Huiquing looked around. "I do not see him. Should I call him again?"
Jack VII

"Hold on..." Jack said from the rear of the van.

<<@Team [JustJack] Mel, can you get a lock on the kid's commlink? We need its location>>
Melpomene

<<@Team [Melpomene] I do. He's in the dorm. Exloading ARO overlays now. Also, his persona is in the Host as well. If he's here, perhaps that means he hasn't been taken yet. Unless there's an objection, I'm going to try to contact him directly in the Host.>>

<<Mel straightened her dress...

...why do I keep DOING that?...

...and walked forward, following her Trace, looking for Bai's persona.>>
Lobo0705

<<Mel moved with more purpose now, the notes of music getting stronger as she got closer to Bai's persona. She had to brush uncomfortably close by one of the stewards as she boarded the train, but the soulless eyes of the Patrol IC only glanced over her quickly and moved on. Sighing with relief, she walked down the train cars, wondering how much of the high-class, luxury fittings and amenities were historically accurate, and how many were dreamed up by the designers of the Host. Entering the dining car, she saw a young man in a suit, his young features handsome, sitting at one of the tables alone. The chirpings from her deck confirmed that this was the persona she was tracing.>>
Melpomene

<<@Team [Melpomene] I have found Bai's persona. He is alone, and seemingly not in peril. I'm going to talk to him, but I need him to trust me. Ask his father if he speaks English, and if so, is there something I can say to identify myself as a friend of his father. It needs to be something very convincing. Oh, and hurry. >>
Jack VII

Jack nodded as he read Mel's text. Turning to Huiquing, he asked, "We have located your son's commlink. We would like to contact him. Does he speak English? Also, can you think of anything that we could tell him that might get him to trust us?"
Lobo0705

Huiquing turns to Jack, leaning back over the seat to speak to the ork. "Yes, my son does speak English." He thinks for a moment. "Tell him I have sent you, and should he ask, tell him about the summer of his 10th birthday off of Menjangan Island, and how we swam next to a ray twice as big as he was."
Jack VII

Jack relayed what Huiquing told him and checked over his weapons, insuring they were only loaded with non-lethal rounds. Last thing I want to do is kill a kid in the crossfire...
Melpomene
Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:43 AM, September 12, 2075

<<Mel checked her surroundings one more time, straightened her dress, and moved across from Bai's table. "May I join you, young sir?">>
Lobo0705

<<The boy looked up at the sound of Mel's voice, the digital imagery that formed his face difficult to read. It was one of the things that made Matrix communication difficult, unless the person wanted to, their persona exhibited none of the usual micro-expressions you would get from a human face. Still, the boy was polite, actually standing up at the arrival of a woman, "Hello miss, please join me. Forgive me, but I do not recognize you." His politeness and formality were a throwback to a bygone era, one that made Mel feel out of place.>>
Melpomene

<<Mel did her best to act 'polite', slightly inclining her head at Bai's invitation. "My apologies for seeming abrupt, but we do not have much time. I, along with my compatriots, are currently with your father, and there has been significant trouble. He believes your life may be in danger, and has sent us to help get you away from the Academy."

She clears her throat, and removes her mask.

"Will you come with us?">>
Lobo0705

<<"I just spoke to my father, he is to meet me on campus in a few minutes. Not to be rude, but how do I know I can trust you?" The placid demeanor of the late 19th century gentleman remains undisturbed, the digital signals bereft of intonation and emotion. Mel glances around the room, wondering if anyone else here could be infiltrating the host as well.>>
Jack VII

"While Mel's doing her thing, I'm going to start heading to meet up with Bai. Sisco, can you guard Huiquing and keep the motor running?" Jack asked, pausing before opening the door.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012