Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (IC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PraetorGradivus
Denver Zoo, CAS Zone, 1:45 PM, September 12, 2075

Sisco looks at his commlink slots in his credstick and transfers the funds to Stone.

Less than 400 nuyen left Uncle Morty- hope there really is a payday at the end of this. Of course, if their ain't it's probably cause I'm fragged and then who cares.

Immediately after the transfer, Sisco gets Jack's message, and starts driving to the safehouse making unnecessary turns here and there to see if anyone was tailing Mr T.

Lobo0705
Alta Spring Apartments, CAS Zone, 2:10 PM, September 12, 2075

After making a brief stop at the bottling plant for recon, the team arrives at the Alta Spring Apartments. Good neighborhood, probably a B security zone, HTR would be about 10 minutes out. thought Sisco.

Easing Mr. T into a parking space outside the apartment building, "Last stop for the Young Paper Fan. Jack, you want to come with?"
Jack VII

"Definitely." Jack checked his gear. Still wearing his suit, he confirmed the load of his holdout and holstered it before stepping out of the van to check for anyone who appeared out of place.
Lobo0705

As Jack looks around he gets a sense of what life would be like for "normal" people. A playground that still has all of its equipment is full of children playing happily, while several mothers look on or chat with others via AR.

Several men in their late 30's are out jogging in the clear afternoon sun, their attire too tight to conceal any weapons, and they pass Jack and continue around the block.

An older man, probably in his late 60's sits on a bench, eyes closed, enjoying the day.
Lobo0705
Alta Spring Apartments, CAS Zone, 2:11 PM, September 12, 2075

Sisco steps out of the car, straightening his suit and nodding to Jack. Snap and Mel remain in the back of Mr. T, their attire marking them as being out of place. Mel takes Bai's hand for a moment and squeezes it. "We'll come back for you when this is over. Stay safe." Bai smiles briefly and then nervously exits the vehicle.

As Sisco triggers the door closed with a brief mental command, he sees Huiquing looking distinctly uncomfortable being left alone with the two women. Chuckling to himself, he indicates the building with a nod of his head, and Bai starts toward it, both orks flanking him.

The trio walks calmly across the street, and they receive several greetings from passers-by. Sisco has to adjust his AR as he is bombarded by apps that are interrogating his SIN and welcoming him to the neighborhood, offering free yoga classes, gym memberships, and advertising the local coffee house down the street. Jack's AR remains empty, as he remains wireless off to avoid any unnecessary complications due to his lack of a valid SIN.

Reaching the door, an image of a young, attractive elf in her early twenties appears. The holograph chirps out in a pre-recorded voice, "Please swipe your pass, or provide the apartment number you'd like to call." It awaits patiently for an answer.
Jack VII

"Apartment 305, please." Jack responded, wanting to finish this business quickly. His lack of a SIN and wireless connection made him feel naked.
Lobo0705

The pleasant voice responds, "Connecting. Please wait." The friendly face of the elf is replaced by the image of a man in his late forties or early fifties. Sunglasses cover his eyes, and his head covered with close-cropped, salt and pepper colored hair.

Tersely and without preamble, he says "Thunder."
Jack VII

Recognizing professionalism when he sees it, Jack swiftly replied, "Crash. Three to come up."
Lobo0705

The man's face is replaced by the hologram of the elven women again. "Access granted. Please either use the staircase immediately to your left, or utilize the elevator bank located in the common area."

The light over the lock turns green, and Sisco opens the door, motioning the other two inside. Jack takes the lead, debating whether to take the stairs or the elevator.

Jack VII

Turning to Sisco, Jack asked, "You want to take the stairs to the third floor? We'll take the elevator. If someone is trying to set up an ambush at either, hopefully one of us can get the drop on them."
PraetorGradivus

"Sure Jack. No problem".

Sisco made sure his Ingram was secure behind his back, under his jacket. The sling showed with the suit jacket opened, which was a dead giveaway that he had something under his jacket, whether it be a gun or satchel or whatever, so he buttoned up. Hopefully, the extra bit of time to open the jacket wouldn't be the death of him.

This is how you bit it Uncle Morty, going up a bunch of stairs. Of course it was your 'never use an elevator cause it's a deathtrap' philosophy that made you use them. Can't say your wrong about the deathtrap thing, but when your numbers up, it's up, no matter what precautions you use.
Lobo0705

Sisco headed up the stairs cautiously. looking for anything out of place. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary, he arrived at the third floor. <<@Jack [Sisco] Seems all clear, Jack.>>

Receiving the message, Jack pressed the button for the elevator, giving Bai a reassuring nod as they waited. The doors opened, and Jack was glad he didn't have his 'reflexes on, as a small gaggle of children rushed out of the elevator, brushing past them, almost knocking Bai over. The adult with them, from her age some sort of nanny, smiled and muttered a quick apology and headed out after them. Jack and Bai entered the elevator, and soon arrived at the third floor. Exiting first, Jack cleared the hallway, and started to follow the signs leading him to apartment 305. Arriving at the door, he waited for Bai to catch up before he motioned him to the side.
Jack VII

<<@Sisco [JustJack] Alright Sisco, meet us at the door. They're expecting three. Don't want them too jumpy.>>

Jack waited for the other ork to arrive and then knocked on the door.
Lobo0705

The door swung open, revealing a short hallway that led to the apartment. Looking down, Jack and Sisco spotted a grizzled dwarf, about 5 foot 2 in height. His clothes hinted at expensive tastes, and the sunglasses he wore were the latest style. The Predator on his thigh was custom made, the smartlink SOTA.

"Hoi. Bring the client inside. Don't be alarmed by Dallas back there, he's a little less trusting than I am." The dwarf threw his head back toward the interior, where a tall thin human leaned against the wall. His Browning was out, although not held in a threatening manner for now. Sisco noticed that the tattoo on his right forearm marked him as ex-CAS military.

The dwarf took out a scanner from a drawer and waved it over Bai. "The name's Brass, and we'll be your babysitters for the next few hours. Stay away from the windows, and do as we say, and we should get along just fine. Dallas, call it in to Tara."

Seemingly satisfied that he detected nothing on Bai, he turned back to Sisco and Jack, waiting til he got a confirming nod from Dallas. "Alright, arrange payment with Tara, once we get confirmation from her 'yen is in the account, we are golden."
Jack VII

Jack nodded, appreciating the professionalism. "Sure thing, Brass."

The ork mentally accessed his commlink and sent a message to Tara, wincing as he transferred the funds. Jack sure hoped this run was going to pan out.

<<@Tara [JustJack] On site. Appreciate the effort, the pair appear as professional as I expected. Transferring the nuyen now, please confirm transmittal to contractors | Payment Attached>>

"I just sent Tara the dinero, although I understand that you will want confirmation from her." Turning to Bai, he finished, "Alright amigo, just follow any instructions you get from these two and we'll be back soon enough."
Lobo0705

The response from Tara came back quickly. <<@Jack [Tara] Transaction completed Jack, I'll let Dallas and Brass know. A pleasure doing business again.>>

A moment later and Dallas spoke for the first time, his drawl distinct enough that the origin of his street name became clear. "'Yen is in the bank. We're on the clock now.

Brass extended a hand to Jack, shaking it firmly, "You've got until this time tomorrow, after which we can certainly renegotiate, or we'll part ways. If the job is what you say it is, the kid will be safe as a babe in his mother's arms."

Jack VII

Focusing on Brass, Jack replied, "Appreciate it, hombre. If I need to get in touch with you, should I go through Tara?"

Jack didn't have any other questions, but wanted to make sure he knew how to contact the two-man crew in case of a serious frag-up.
Lobo0705

Brass walks over to a table and rummages around in a bag. Removing two cheap commlinks, he types a number into it and throws it to Jack.

"Use that in case of emergencies, the number in there matches this one." He holds up the other 'link.

Jack VII

Jack nodded silently, turned the commlink off, and slipped it into his suit jacket. Turning to Sisco, he said, "Let's go."
PraetorGradivus

Before leaving Sisco turns to Dallas and says,"Stryker IFV recon unit- saw some action against Atzlan. Keep up the good fight."

Sisco then follows Jack out the door.

Wonder what made me be forthcoming Uncle Morty? I guess it's that old Hood blood rearing its military addicted self.
Lobo0705
Bottling Plant, CAS Zone, 2:45 PM, September 12, 2075

After the team dropped off Bai, they decided to head to the bottling plant to conduct a little prepwork. Jack thoroughly scouted the facility, happy with the number of ambush points they could use for the meet, unhappy with the 15 or 20 squatters they'd have to move if they wanted to keep them out of any crossfire.

With Sisco being the only one with a valid SIN, he bought lunch from the local Stuffer Shack, filling, but tasteless, despite the new flavoring additive. Mel spent some quality time with her deck, replacing circuitry fried from the attack outside Vandermay, and, while not perfect, had it almost fully functional again.

Eventually, Sisco's alarm went off, and he said, "Time to go grab the gear. Everyone in Mr. T - we're off to O'Roarke's again."

O'Roarke's, CAS Zone, 4:15 PM, September 12, 2075

At this time of the day, only the hardcore drinkers were out, leaning precariously on stools or slumped in chairs. The synthhol flooding their system and taking their minds of the dreariness of the day. As the team entered the bar for the second time in 24 hours, Sisco saw the familiar form of Stone lounging in the back.

"Good to see y'all. I like prompt customers."
PraetorGradivus

"We'd have been here earlier except thieves had broken into my house and stolen everything except my soap, shower gel, towels and deodorant. Dirty Bastards."

Sisco signaled the barkeep for a shot of whiskey flavored synthhol- not that it tasted any different than bourbon, scotch, vodka, tequila, you name it synthhol....

Lobo0705

The barkeep passed the drink to Sisco, and sent another, more expensive one to Stone.

The dwarf lowered his voice slightly, and said "Everything's out back, including your precious baby. Send your van around, and I'll help you load it."

Sisco send a quick message as a heads up to Mel and Snap, and then began piloting Mr. T remotely as he and Jack followed Stone out the back door.

There were two crates, the smaller of the two stacked on top of the larger. "Your baby is in the bottom one, door's unlocked. All the rest of the stuff is in the top." Sisco bent down and inspected his drone, making sure there were no scratches in the casing, and giving it a fond pat on the "head". Jack, meanwhile, opened the smaller crate, and inspected all the contents, making sure they were all there before nodding toward Sisco.

"A pleasure doing business. Come back anytime."
PraetorGradivus

Everything lookin good Uncle Morty. But I must be losing my touch- Stone didn't even flinch at that gawd awful pun.

"The pleasure is all ours- enjoy the rest of the night."
PraetorGradivus
O'Roarke's, CAS Zone, 4:25 PM, September 12, 2075

Sisco drives back to the bottling plant making unnecessary turns to see if they were being tailed.

"Hey Jack, what time do we figure on setting the meet for? I'd prefer after dark. Less chance they'd spot the doberman whever we hide it. Additionally, I figure we leave Mr T running... getting run over by a van is never good to one's constitution, if it comes to it.

PraetorGradivus

Sisco drives back to the bottling plant making unnecessary turns to see if they were being tailed.

"Hey Jack, what time do we figure on setting the meet for? I'd prefer after dark. Less chance they'd spot the doberman whever we hide it. Additionally, I figure we leave Mr T running... getting run over by a van is never good to one's constitution, if it comes to it.

PraetorGradivus

Jack VII
On the drive back to the Bottling Plant, CAS Zone, 4:25 PM, September 12, 2075

"Makes sense, good idea. Probably set the meet for 2200? Not too late, but late enough that it'll be full dark." Jack responded as he checked through the gear Stone had sold them.
Lobo0705

Huiquing had been following the conversation. "Very well. I will be happy to make the call. Shall I use my commlink? Or do you have a different one I can use to make the call?"
Lobo0705

Hearing no dissent from the team, Huiquing turns on his commlink and sends out a quick message.

Shutting it off again, he says, "I have told him that the meeting is to be at the bottling plant at 10:00 PM."

Sisco hits the gas, heading back to the bottling plant, knowing that they have a lot they want to do in the next 5 hours.
Lobo0705
Bottling Plant CAS Zone 9:30 PM September 12 2075

The team had been busy over the last few hours, making preparations for the meet. Jack had resumed his role as team leader and planner, briefly outlining the details before grabbing the welder and heading over to the doors. As he fired up the welder and began sealing the entrances, Sisco piloted his Doberman out of Mr. T and positioning it near the north doors. Throwing an old tarp over part of it, and carefully concealing it with some cardboard boxes, he hoped to disguise its silhouette. Won't fool a scan, but it might keep it out of sight for a few seconds.

Mel took the opportunity to hack into Grease's drones, allowing her access to their sensor capability, and flying the Eyespy up onto the roof while keeping the Microskimmer inside the facility. Snap prepared herself mentally, her spirit on call to assist.

Huiquing spent the time in meditation, sitting silently in the upstairs office, not saying anything unless directly confronted.

With the doors welded shut, the drones in position, the team grabbed their gear and prepared themselves as best they could. Now there was nothing left to do but wait.
Lobo0705
Bottling Plant CAS Zone 9:45 September 12 2075

As the time for the meeting approached, Jack sent a quick message to Mel, <<@Mel [JustJack] its getting closer, better get our eyes in the air.>>

Mel quickly floated Grease's EyeSpy into an overwatch position around the facility, staying in AR to keep an eye on what was going on inside the plant as well.

Within a couple of minutes two SUV's turned down the road for the facility. Maintaining a speed of about 40kph, they stopped at the gate to bottling plant and two men got out of back of the lead SUV. Their appearance and bearing said "muscle" while their tailoring said "professional". They headed to the back of the SUV, and with minimal effort, grabbed a crawler from the back, depositing it on the ground. Following its lead, they left the two SUVs on the street, and began a quick sweep of the area, the drone slightly ahead of them.

Melpomene
Bottling Plant, CAS Zone, 9:45PM, September 12, 2075

<<@Team [Melpomene] I'm tracking company. >>

Following that message, a direct link to the Flyspy's optics appears in the rest of the team's AR.

Jack VII
Bottling Plant, CAS Zone, 9:45PM, September 12, 2075

Jack responded quickly.

<<@Team [JustJack] It's what we would do. I'm not too worried yet. Keep an eye on it. See if you can take it if necessary>>
Lobo0705
Bottling Plant, CAS Zone, 9:50 PM, September 12, 2075

The two men spend several minutes sweeping the parking lot, including moving off several of the SINless in the area after a quick pat down.

Finally, one makes a hand motion back to the SUVs and the two vehicles enter the parking lot. The doors open and a total of four other people exit. Two of them are virtually identical to the men who swept the parking lot, the remaining two look interesting. One is a powerfully built older Chinese man, his frame just starting to run slightly to fat, while the other is a slender, almost delicate woman, also Chinese. The man is dressed in a suit that costs what most people make in a month, while the woman is wearing a much more urban, modern look.

With the bulk of the SUV still in between the man and the building, the woman places a hand on his shoulder, and a nimbus of golden light surrounds him. Once she is satisfied with her work, she nods, and the four men take up a diamond formation around the two, crossing to the eastern door.
Chrome Head

Watching the scene unfold in AR, Snap flinches as she regrets not having her eyes directly on that woman and what she's doing. <<@Team+Huiquing [Snap] She could have done it in the car, they wanted us to see that. If he comes in with magic support, I probably won't see clearly lies from truth unless they intentionally let me through. What's our play?>>
Jack VII

<<@Team [JustJack] Do what you can, we may have to rely on our own sense of things. I figure we'll know what they really intentar before we even sit down with them.>>

While the ork was somewhat uncomfortable, he had worked more than a few bodyguard jobs and remembered tense situations, similar to this. In most cases, it was much to do about nothing. Granted, it was the times that it was something that he remembered the most.
PraetorGradivus
Bottling Plant, CAS Zone 2150, 12Sept2075

Well Uncle Morty, more mojo. But trying to separate the Triads from mojo is like trying to separate water from wet. Hopefully, Snap is up to the task.

[color="#00FFFF"]"Huānyíng zūnjìng de xiānshēng, fūrén. Wǒ bìxū dàoqiàn, dàn zhǐyǒu nǐ de liǎng gè hòuwèi kěyǐ jìnrù. Yīdàn jìnrù, liǎng míng hòuwèi jiāng liú zài wǒ hé nǐ kěyǐ shàng lóu dào bàngōngshì yǔ wǒ de tóngbàn, yǐ mǎnzú Huiquing."
Lobo0705

Jack and Sisco wait tensely for the response. The elderly man turns to the woman, who closes her eyes. Jack and Sisco can both see her begin her spellcasting, the shimmering in the air visible even to their mundane eyes.

They shiver slightly as they as they feel a wave of magic pulse through them.
Jack VII

Wincing at the magic spell, Jack barely kept himself from firing. He hoped Sisco would do the same. In his stilted Chinese, the ork warned, "Ràng wǒmen dàjiā dōu zhuānyè. Rúguǒ nǐ zài zhèyàng zuò méiyǒu rènhé jǐnggào, wǒmen jiāng pāishè."

The ork sent a message to the team. <<@Team [JustJack] I told them if they do that again without asking, we're shooting. Don't want for an order.>>
Lobo0705

The four bodyguards raise their weapons at Jack's tone, but a harsh "Tíngzhǐ!" from the older man causes them to lower their guns slightly.

The mage turns to both and speaks in flawless English. "My apologies for the lack of warning. May I ask how many people await within?"

Jack VII

Grateful the magic didn't seem to do anything to him, the ork nodded and replied, "All told, there are five of us, including our employer." Jack figured there was little reason to lie. After all, they were all pretty much out in the open, other than the drone. But Jack's experience with Grease's drones led him to believe that they were, at best, demonios rather than people. Reiterating the team's point and trying to build up a little good will, he said, "We'd appreciate it if two of your men stayed outside to keep watch on the grounds. With the threats against our employer, this may not be the safest place for any of us."
Lobo0705

The woman raised an eyebrow at this and then spoke quickly and in hushed tones to her employer, translating Jack's words. She then said, "May I ask were the other two of you are then? I only detected one person inside the building besides the two of you."
Jack VII

Figuring he had already gone full-in on honesty, Jack replied, "All three of our people inside are in the upstairs offices." The ork thought better of opining about how magic sometimes just doesn't work.

<<@Snap [JustJack] Head's up. I just told them you guys were upstairs. They seem a little spooked. But if they're going to try anything, especially more mojo, it's probably going to be now.>>
Chrome Head

<<@JustJack [Snap] All right. Let me come join you in the welcome party, I better see what I'm up against before letting them in.>>

<<@Team [Snap] I'm going to escort our guests up rather than wait for them upstairs. I want to keep an eye on that woman.>>

"I'll be right back," she told her employer, and without waiting for a reply, the shaman hurried downstairs towards the door.
Melpomene

Mel shook her head. Why does nothing go according to plan?

Moving very quickly, with her Viper in her right hand, and her deck slung over her left shoulder, Mel came out from her cover and out the door of the office. She knew Huiquing couldn't be left alone for very long. She could see Snap heading downstairs as she got to the other door. She went in and slightly bowed to Huiquing.

"It seems that I am your bodyguard now."

Lobo0705

Snap made her way quickly to the front door, slowing down as she came closer so as to avoid spooking anyone. As she looked at the group with her astral vision, she saw the woman looking back at her. The bodyguards seemed tense, but the woman and the older man both seemed relatively relaxed. Certainly neither seemed on the brink of launching an attack.

The woman looked Snap up and down and said to Jack, "Ah, that explains some things." A brief exchange with her employer, and he nods in agreement. The woman points to two of the bodyguards and motions positions outside the building. "You may call me Amber, after you."

Chrome Head

Snap catches her breath in time before coming face to face with the other party and their mage, also acknowledging the two orks. "Hello, Amber," was all the shaman replied, not willing to give her anything.

It was implied that she was letting Jack handle the process of letting them in. As they make their way to Huiqing, she'd stay always a distance ahead, on the look-out for any unexpected use of magic. Soon she might see my spirit, she'll know I'm for real.
Lobo0705
Bottling Plant, CAS Zone, 9:51 PM, September 12, 2075

Jack and Sisco step aside, and the two bodyguards enter first, and begin a brief visual sweep of the area immediately inside the door. After a moment, they wave their employer and Amber through, and they enter the building. Jack and Sisco walk them through the plant towards the stairs to the second floor. Both groups eye each other warily, waiting for any sign of betrayal.

They reach the stairs, and Amber turns to Jack and says, "Please do lead on."

Jack VII
Bottling Plant, CAS Zone, 9:51 PM, September 12, 2075

"Certainly," Jack replied pleasantly. "Our apologies that we didn't have time to clean up before you arrived. I'm sure you can appreciate that our employer has a timeline he would like to maintain."

Arriving at the stairs, Jack paused. "From here, my associate will stay down here with two of your men. The young lady and I will be coming upstairs. I'm sure you can understand that anyone in our situation would want to have some level of assurance that magic shouldn't be a concern. Additionally, I'll be joining you as I understand the language to some degree. We have one more associate upstairs who is currently with our employer. She will move to one of the adjacent offices once the conversation starts."

Concluding, Jack asked, "Does that sound acceptable?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012