Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (IC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Melpomene
Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:43 AM, September 12, 2075

<<Mel smiled. "It is a completely understandable question, and one I was prepared for. I asked your father what to say in this event. He told me to tell you about the summer of your 10th birthday off of Menjangan Island, and how you and he swam next to a ray twice as big as you were.

"We haven't much time. There are at least two others who were asking about you before we arrived. Will you trust me?">>
Lobo0705
Vandermay Academy Host, CAS Zone, 10:43 AM, September 12, 2075

<<After a moment's pause, Bai nods, seemingly satisfied with Mel's response. "Very well, should I just go out the front door? Where did you want me to go?">>
Melpomene

<<@Team [Melpomene] Alright, Bai is on board. Tell me what to tell him to do.>>
Jack VII
Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:43 AM, September 12, 2075

<<@Team [JustJack] You've got his 'link MARKed, right? Tell him to clip it to his clothes so the camera is facing out, grab the feed on it and let us MARK it, so we can see what's going on around him. Then we'll probably have him start walking>>

Turning to Huiquing, Jack asked, "We're about to start moving Bai. What kind of security is in place on the dorms? Can anyone just walk in there or are there ID checks of some sort?"
Melpomene

<<"Bai, I'm going to ask you to take your commlink, and clip it to your shirt, so that the camera is facing away from you...that way, we can see what you see. I'll MARK it, and follow the feed. Once you've done that, I'll send you a message on when and where to go.">>
Lobo0705
Vandermay Academy CAS Zone, 10:43 AM, September 12, 2075

"The dorm requires authorization to enter it. Bai has access, as does any student. Parents are not given access normally, but if necessary I could contact someone to open the door."

Looking out the window he watches as the students move around campus, watching a single KE guard wandering across the campus about 150 meters away with a Fly Spy hovering at his shoulder. "We should hurry in any event. Should I come with you just in case?"
Lobo0705

<<Bai nods, and says "It is done." Mel adroitly manipulates the datastream funneling to Bai's 'link and splits it into 4 feeds, sending it to the commlink's of the team.>>

The feed shows the interior of a dorm room which is bigger furnished than Snap's apartment. and certainly more lavishly furnished. AR displays cover the walls showing classical composers along with a smattering of more modern ones. There is only one bed, although it is at least queen-sized, and although two dressers are in the room, it appears that Bai has a single. The door to the room is closed, but the view out the window is stunning, a panoramic view of the campus through the self-polarizing glass.
Melpomene

<<Mel's persona cocks her head slightly. "Hold for a moment. Your father and my people are close." Then she pauses. "Do you like classical music?">>
Jack VII
Vandermay Academy CAS Zone, 10:43 AM, September 12, 2075

Nonplussed, Jack said, "I'd rather not put you at risk, but if it's the only way we can get access, so be it."

<<@Team [JustJack] Mel, is there a map of the dorm somewhere in the Host? It would be helpful. If it looks like it might be too difficult to get, don't worry about it. All we're looking for is indications that there is a stairwell in the dorm. Maybe there are cameras in the stairwells?>>
Lobo0705

<<For the first time Bai's face showed any emotion, and the ghost of a smile played across his digital lips. "Yes, it is a passion of mine. Mozart, Bach, Tchaikovsky, they are like old friends. I hope to follow in their footsteps one day." The smile fades slowly, "However I do not believe the reality of my situation will allow this.">>
Melpomene

<<@Team [Melpomene] Searching...>>

<<"That would be a supreme shame...there are too few with the talent and commitment to follow in their footsteps."

At this point, Mel looks like she is looking for something.

"Forgive my distraction...just looking for floorplans to help us extract you.">>
Melpomene
Vandermay Academy Host, CAS Zone, 10:44 AM, September 12, 2075

<<Mel takes out a violin, tunes it for a moment, then begins to play Mozart's Symphony No. 41. The notes reverberate through Bai's persona, and a number of files, resembling sheets of music, slide out from him. She continues playing as each file begins to vibrate in tune and unfold, letting Mel look at the contents. The music isolates on one file, and that file floats in virtual space as the others return to Bai. Mel then stands up and plays a bit louder, spinning in place, almost losing herself in the music. The effect is almost like a localized tornado...pieces of paper, newspapers, train schedules, contracts, journal paper, all coming through the windows of the dining car. Mel continues to spin, and the papers begin revolving around her like planets around a star. Mel then stops spinning, still playing, and focuses on one train schedule. With a triumphant note, she dispels all of the others, and replicates the one piece, which then breaks into bits of code and is absorbed into her persona.>>

<<@Team [Melpomene] Got it. ARO of the building's floorplan exloaded.>>

<<Mel then puts away her violin, straightens her dress, and sits again. "Just another moment, young sir.">>
Lobo0705
Vandermay Academy Host, CAS Zone, 10:44 AM, September 12, 2075

<<Bai's persona listens raptly to Mel's rendition of the Master's work. As the notes fade away, he produces his own violin, and starts to play himself. The haunting chords of Komm, süßer Tod, komm selge Ruh float through the Matrix, Bach's despair crystal-clear as the song filters through the DNI into Mel's brain.>>

Vandermay, CAS Zone, 10:46 AM, September 12, 2075

Sisco glides the Renault into a parking space near the dorm. Looks more like a luxury hotel than a high school dorm. Must be nice. The two orks and Huiquing exit the vehicle, and move up the pathway to the front door. They draw looks from several different students in the area, but no one stops to comment as they approach the door.

A keypad next to the door bars entry without the proper code, but Huiquing simply presses the "Call" button next to it. A moment later the group sees the persona of a KE security guard appear in AR in front of them. <<"Good morning sir, how may I help you?">>

Huiquing speaks, his persona a mirror image of his physical body, albeit not as disheveled as his meat body. Although he still looked respectable, a night sleeping on a couch in an abandoned factory did not make him look his best. <<Hello, I am here to see my son, Chen Bai. If you could buzz me in I would appreciate it.>>

<<The guard nods a moment, checking the records to verify that Bai was a resident of the dorm. "I do see he lives here sir. Please transmit your SIN so I can verify you are on the visitor's list.">>

Huiquing presses a button on his commlink, and Jack and Sisco both stand nearby, trying to look as if they belonged.

<<"Very good, Mr. Chen. Thank you, enjoy your stay.">>

The persona vanishes from sight, and a loud buzzing noise comes from the door. Jack steps up and opens the door, waving Sisco inside first, and then follows after Huiquing.

Jack VII

Jack checked his Streetline Special to make sure it was only loaded with non-lethal rounds. If he was being honest, it probably didn't matter what was loaded in the pistol, as it was unlikely to do much damage in any event. But a gun was a gun, so if push came to shove, firing a few rounds might clear a hallway. He checked his suit one more time and made sure he looked the part of a proper bodyguard. Figuring they could use another set of eyes, the ork sent a message to Mel.

<<@Team [JustJack] Mel, can you send the FlySpy to come inside with us? I'd like to send it up the other stairwell so we have eyes on everything>>

Following behind Huiquing, he waited for the man to confer with security before heading in. "If you all want to wait here, I'll see about fetching Bai." Jack took a second to arrange all of the AR video feeds so that they didn't interfere with his vision but could be glanced at easily.

GEAR
[ Spoiler ]
PraetorGradivus

Sisco felt naked without his Smartgun. Uncle Morty would say it serves you right for not having a pistol along.

Hopefully, they'll wait till we leave the campus to start whatever they're gonna do. Should have brought an overcoat along and then I could have hidden the Smartgun behind my back. Oh well.

[ Spoiler ]
Melpomene
Vandermay Academy Host, CAS Zone, 10:46 AM, September 12, 2075

<<Mel listened intently, her aural processors analyzing the music flowing through her DNI. If anyone were to look at her meat-side at this moment, they would see a tear rolling down her left cheek. In the Matrix, Mel's persona sat listening to the beautiful music Bai played.>>

<<@Team [Melpomene] Rerouting the fly-spy to your location. Tell me what I should tell Bai to do when you're ready.>>

Lobo0705
Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:46 AM, September 12, 2075

As Jack straightened out his AR feed, he held the door open long enough for the Fly Spy to zip inside and keep low to the ground as it shot through the vestibule and hugged the wall along the office to their right. Sisco and Huiquing stayed in the lobby as Jack moved down the hallway to the left, passing the elevator on his way out. The ork and the Triad boss shifted uncomfortably in silence as they waited, watching the feed from the Fly Spy as it headed in the opposite direction of Jack.

Jack passed several students, each of them looking so young. Wonder what I was like at that age. Trying not to look intimidating, although he bulked twice their size, he tipped his hat and slid past them on his way to the staircase. He glanced inside the multi-purpose room, not one but two 70" trideo sets, with three boys watching a rerun of an old action flick, while a couple snuggled on a couch in front of the other, watching a news feed.

What made Jack do a double take however, was that although the couple were dressed in school uniforms, the male was a human in his late 30s, while the "girl" was even older. Both were human, and both were either Chinese or Japanese.
Jack VII

Jack kept walking past the multipurpose room but sent a message to the team.

<<@Team [JustJack]Two possible contacts in the multipurpose room. Dressed in school uniforms, but in their 30s, one male and one female, asian descent. Not sure who they're trying to fool. Maybe some kind of magic involved? May want to relocate Huiquing to the van>>
PraetorGradivus

Well ain't that special as my Uncle Morty used to say. Too obvious... must be backup somewhere else.

Sisco takes a snapshot of the room with the built-in camera of his cybereye as he passes the room. He quickly transfers the image to his commlink. He vooms in on the image and sees only teenagers.

What the heck...fraggin mojo. And our mage is outside.

<<@Team[Sisco]Looks like the couple Jack just described have some kind of spell on them. They look just like teenagers to me.>>
PraetorGradivus

As Jack climbs the stairwell to go get Bai, Sisco motions Huiquing to stay in the corner. He presses himself next to the stairwell door preparing to knock out the next person who goes through.

These are all rich snooty kids. They won't use a stairwell when there's an elevator. Well hopefully not, or some poor kid is gonna end up with a bloody lip. Oh the joys of running.

<<@Team[Sisco] Jack's on his way. Mell, I'm pinging my location. Can you shut down the lights in this stairwell-first floor only.>>
Lobo0705
Vandermay Academy Host , CAS Zone, 10:46 AM, September 12, 2075

<<Mel brought up another window in her vision, and with a wave of her hands enlarged it so it dominated her vision. Other smaller windows were in the corners of her eyes, Bai sitting playing his violin, the feed from the Fly Spy as it made its way up the stairs, but she pushed them aside momentarily. With a quick little ditty, she called up a schematic of the Vandermay Host, and the icon she was looking for was in one of the coal cars. With a slight change in tempo, the surroundings rapidly changed until she found herself standing in the coal car itself. Slowing down the music some, she let it caress the icon, slowly bringing it more in tune with her own persona, until she could then reach out and flip the switch with her hand. Looking quickly over her shoulder, she heard someone coming down the aisle toward her...>>

Jack hurries up the stairwell, quickly disappearing from sight. Sisco quickly bends his knees slightly, his left hand cocked under his chin, his right hand slightly extended, waiting. Within seconds, the lights flicker off, plunging the stairwell into near darkness, but a tiny sliver of light from under the door is enough for his lowlight enhanced cybereyes. He sees the lever on the door handle start to turn, and the door swings open, revealing the male teenager he saw watching the trideo...
PraetorGradivus

Sisco wastes no time giving the 'teenager'a resounding kick to the groin that lifts him a foot off the ground and drops him prone in agony. Taking no chances, he stomps on his head hearing a sickening crunch. If the 'teenager' wasn't dead, he shortly would be without quick medical help.

<<@Team[Sisco] Just took out one of the 'teenagers'. Followed us into the stairwell.>>

Sisco drags the body away from the door letting it close and sets up back in ambush hoping the second 'teenager' was just as stupid as the first.

While waiting he thinks to himself, I don't think my sensei in Atlanta would have liked this but I didn't have time to finish him off in a less lethal fashion. Don't know where the second one is. However,I know what Uncle Morty would say: "Got to be pragmatic like the Clintons." He never would explain who the heck the Clintons were. But I get point. Sorry Chummer, but maybe you'll have better luck in the next go around.
Jack VII

Impressed with the silent take-down, Jack paused and sent a message back.

<<@Sisco [JustJack] Need some help?>>
PraetorGradivus

Sisco was tempted to as Jack to come back down but thought better of it.

<<@JustJack[Sisco] Get Bai- gut feeling you need to get to him before the other operative does.>>

Uncle Morty would have said that we should have altered our plan. Jack can see through the mojo and has a gun so he should be here with the Paper Fan and I should be the one running up to intercept Bai. But I really don't like wasting the time having him come back down and then me start going up. Those seconds might mean the difference between an extracted Bai and a dead Bai.
Melpomene
Vandermay Academy Host , CAS Zone, 10:46 AM, September 12, 2075

<<Mel looked back at Bai. "My young sir, my compatriots are going to be here in a moment, and I cannot stay much longer. Be ready to jack out, then move out of your room and head to the stairwell on the west side of the building. Go down one floor, then move to the east side stairwell and start heading down. My friend will meet you there. He is an ork, and his name is Jack. He will protect you. I will tell you here when to move, though if I must jack out, I will send you a message through your 'link.

"Do you have any questions?">>
Lobo0705
Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:47 AM, September 12, 2075

<<@Sisco[JustJack] Roger that.>>

Jack increased his stride, taking the stairs two at a time. <<@Mel[JustJack] Get the kid moving, I'll be at the 8th floor in a couple seconds.>>

Vandermay Academy Host , CAS Zone, 10:47 AM, September 12, 2075

<<Bai shook his head at Mel, and with a twinkle, the violin he was carrying disappeared. As Jack's message came in, Mel looked him in the eye and said, "Go now. Don't worry, you'll see my friend in a moment." Bai waved at Mel and his persona shimmered for a moment, and faded away. >>

<<@Team [Mel] Bai is on his way>>

Jack reached the 8th floor and cautiously opened the door to the hallway. Let's hope no one is hanging out around here... Seeing no one, he moves to the corner and looks down the long hall toward the west side of the building. Most of the doors are closed, but room 806 has its door open, and sounds of two kids talking and laughing fills the hall. His ear buds, their amplification turned up, detect the sound of another door opening on the far side, and Jack sees a nervous looking Bai walking down the hall toward him.
Jack VII

The ork waved and attempted a smile to reduce any tension Bai might be feeling. He wasn't entirely sure what Mel had been telling the boy, so Jack didn't know what Bai's state of mind was. Motioning for the boy to hurry up, the ork waited for Bai to reach him, focusing his hearing on any threats that may be in the vicinity.
Lobo0705

Bai seemingly recognized Jack, and quickened his pace to reach him. "You will take me to my father?"

Jack nodded, trying to make his voice sound reassuring. "You got it kid, just stay with me and stay alert."

<<@Team[JustJack] I've got the kid, heading down the east stairwell now. Is everything clear?>> Checking the feed from the Fly Spy, he saw the western stairwell was empty.

PraetorGradivus

<<@Team[Sisco] Jack, the second 'teenager' hasn't made an appearance at my location yet.>>

Hopefully our luck holds out.
Lobo0705
Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:48 AM, September 12, 2075

Jack leads the way down the stairs, Bai right at his heels. Sixth floor, fifth floor, fourth, without incident they descend until they reach the stairwell.

As they arrive, Huiquing grabs his son and embraces him briefly, and then says, "Listen to these men, everything will be okay, I promise."

PraetorGradivus

Sisco thought to himself, How touching-bleh. Now lets get the frag out of out of here. Thank the stars that Jack here with his sidearm cause we gonna need it I think.

"Bai, do you have any self defense devices on you? Ummm, nevermind. I don't want you doing anything that'll put you in danger. Ok Jack- we ready to roll?"
Jack VII

Jack nodded silently and sent a message to the rest of the team.

<<@Team [JustJack] Can we get the Fly-Spy re-positioned to the first floor. The plan is for me to lead and distract any assailants and Sisco to get Huiquing and Bai to Mr. T. The primary and his son are priority, everything else is secondary to that.>>

Jack looked over to the corner and noticed the unconscious or dead body. "Let's roll, give me a few seconds to make contact and then rush them out."
Lobo0705
Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:49 AM, September 12, 2075

Mel sent a couple of quick commands to the Fly Spy, and it dropped quickly down the center of the stairwell, heading out into the main corridor. The hallway had two male teenagers quietly talking near room 107. One seemed particularly interested in something in AR as he was talking. As he watched, another pair of teens, both girls, exited the exercise room, towels around their necks, headbands and form-fitting clothing wet with sweat, and headed down the hallway toward the eastern side of the building.

Jack VII

Looking Sisco in the eye, Jack said, "Alright, it looks clear, but who knows if the drone can be fooled by magic. I'll head out first and see if anyone reacts. Follow me in about five seconds." Nodding toward Huiquing and Bai, he finished, "Remember, those two are the priority."

Jack checked his Streetline Special and tucked it back into his concealed holster. Pushing the stairwell door open, he walked into the hallway toward the entrance, making sure to glance at side hallways and adjoining rooms.
Lobo0705

Jack stepped out of the door and into the hallway, heading around the corner trying to appear casual. He passed the two girls halfway to the exercise room and turned sideways to let them pass. They both looked at him, but neither seemed to pay much more attention after that, but they continued down the hallway.

The two males outside room 107 never even glanced at him, deeply involved in a conversation about the latest trid game to hit the market this year, Child of Destiny, and who was currently on top of the leaderboards.

<<@Team [JustJack] Seems clear, move.>>

Jack turned the corner and headed through the lobby toward the exit, while the rest of the team exited the stairwell. Sisco led the way, with Huiquing and Bai close behind him. They too passed the two girls as they headed down the corridor. The girls knew Bai, and tried to stop and have a quick conversation, but Huiquing gripped his arm and Bai mumbled a quick apology as they started down the hallway. They saw the girls disappear around the corner toward the stairwell.
Jack VII

<<@Team [JustJack]Let's speed it up. Mel, can you lock the eastern stairwell doors on the first floor? I don't want anyone to stumble on the body there, at least not until after we're gone.>>

Looking back at their charges, Jack motioned for everyone to hurry up and entered the lobby on high alert for problems. This would be the last point of defense for their opposition.
Lobo0705
Vandermay Academy Host, CAS Zone, 10:50 AM, September 12, 2075

<<@Jack[Mel] You got it.>>

<<Heading down the train car, dipping past the various employees and students, Mel reached another part of the train, and quickly looking both ways, played a fast little ditty on her violin, the icon blinking in tune with the music. Quickly putting the instrument away, she ducked out as a conductor entered the train car, looking for anything suspicious.>>

<<@Jack[Mel] All set.>>

Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:50 AM, September 12, 2075

The four of them entered the lobby, the two orks on high alert, the two smaller humans hiding behind them. Expecting an attack at any moment, they moved through the lobby to the door, meeting no resistance. Jack opened the door and headed outside, looking around for any sign of trouble.

Surprisingly, he saw none, just the van sitting in the spot Sisco had left it.
Jack VII
Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:50 AM, September 12, 2075

Sharing a look of surprise with Sisco, Jack said, "Get everyone to the van, I'll cover the trasero."

The ork looked around, especially back at the dorm, for any signs of threats. There had definitely been two people on the lookout for them. Where had the other one gone?
Lobo0705
Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:51 AM, September 12, 2075

Jack looked all around as Sisco led Bai and Huiquing to the van. Mentally opening the door, he helped the two inside, and then headed to the driver seat.

Jack, meanwhile, still scanning for threats, backed slowly toward the van and then, once the other three were inside, hopped into the passenger seat.

The engine turned over, purring like a cat, and the ork rigger pulled out of the parking lot, heading toward the entrance.
PraetorGradivus
Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:51 AM, September 12, 2075

Sisco continuously scanned to see if anyone was tailing them. So far, as best as he could tell, the answer was no. Which seemed a strange: Just where is that second 'teenager'?

He drove Mr T through the gate and stopped to pick up Mel and Snap.

So far, so good. And this is where the drek should hit the fan as my Uncle Morty used to say.
Jack VII
Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:52 AM, September 12, 2075

As Jack waited for Mel and Snap to pile in, he sent a message to the team.

<<@Team [JustJack] Well, I'm not sure I like how easy that seemed. Mel, can you scan Bai for any devices. It's possible they used him as bait. They may not have wanted to risk tangling with KE at the Academy>>

Turning to Bai, Jack said, "Good morning, el joven. Has anyone else visited you this morning?"
Melpomene
Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:52 AM, September 12, 2075

As the van approached, Mel snapped awake, jacking out of the Matrix just as GOD was starting to sense her presence. She sat up, thanked Snap for her vigilance, and grabbed her gear. When the van pulled up, she clambered in, taking an available seat.

She saw Bai and smiled at him. "Good to meet you in the flesh, young Sir."

<<@Team [JustJack] Well, I'm not sure I like how easy that seemed. Mel, can you scan Bai for any devices. It's possible they used him as bait. They may not have wanted to risk tangling with KE at the Academy>>

Lobo0705
About a mile outside Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:57 AM, September 12, 2075

Bai smiles, warm and friendly, and Mel finds it impossible not to smile back. "Nice to meet you as well." He extends a hand, and Mel takes it. Huiquing has a slightly disapproving frown on his face, but he masks it quickly.

After shaking the decker's hand, Bai bowed his head slightly to Jack, drawing raised eyebrows from his father. "Thank you for coming to my aid. I have been alone in my room all morning, except for when I went to the dining hall. I had pre-ordered my meal, and just picked it up to come back to my room, so I was only there a moment or two."

Exchanging worried glances, Mel quickly focuses her AR window to an area encompassing Bai's body.

<<Honoring the boy's choice before, she also plays a funereal tune on her violin, letting the music swirl around the boy from head to toe. After filtering out the icons for his expensive suit, his commlink, sunglasses, shoes, and the candy wrapper in his pocket calling out its new and improved flavor, she notices a small icon, barely noticeable. It is grey, quiet, and unassuming, calling no attention to itself>>
Chrome Head
About a mile outside Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:57 AM, September 12, 2075

Snap simply said "Hello" to the boy and let Mel make a connection. She smiled noncommittally, and just let the conversation proceed, knowing that there wasn't much for her to add at this point, but still wanting to show a friendly face. Meanwhile she took a glance at his aura and inspected the astral carefully for any signs of spells that could be on him.
Melpomene
Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:53 AM, September 12, 2075

Mel blinks under her glasses and makes a face.

<<@Team [Melpomene] There is an icon...small, unassuming. Probably a tracker. I can't tell if it's ON him or IN him. I won't speak directly to Bai out of turn, but if you want to do a quick frisk, I can get ready to brick it, if you can't find it.>>

Jack VII

<<@Team [JustJack] Ideally, we could locate the device and stick it on a drone or another car and have it go in a different direction. But that's only if we can find it. If I can't, or if Huiquing won't let me, please take the device out>>

Turning to Huiquing and Bai, Jack said, "Our decker has spotted some kind of device, possibly on Bai's person. We're worried whoever wants you is using it to track our movements." Focusing on Huiquing, he said, "Will you consent to allowing me to search him to see if I can locate the device?"
Chrome Head

<<@Team [Snap] It could be inside of him. His head is full of high grade tech. I can see the dark non-living patterns very present, but they're not invasive.>>
Jack VII
Outside Vandermay Academy, CAS Zone, 10:53 AM, September 12, 2075

Huiquing didn't look entirely happy about the request, but nodded his head all the same.

Turning to Bai, Jack said, "It seems you may have picked up a bug somewhere. I need to check you out to make sure. It'll only take a second." Looking a bit nervous, the boy looked at his father who nodded curtly. The ork quickly examined Bai's clothing and possessions. Unfortunately, the ork was unable to locate any devices. Glancing at Mel, he shook his head.

"Zap it," Jack said.
Lobo0705

Mel nodded, "I'm on it." Settling down into the surprisingly comfortable bench-seats in the back of the Renault, she felt herself leap out of her meat body and into VR.

<<No longer distracted by her physical senses, Mel concentrated on the images around her. Her deck dealt with the lack of signal, automatically adjusting to keep the images smooth, although she did suffer a little signal degradation from the Public Grid. A quick tune on a harmonica, and she had fooled the local CAS Grids demi-God into thinking she belonged, and stepped across the boundary. She again found the unobtrusive icon hiding near Bai's persona, and played a few bars on the violin she had summoned from thin air. However, she struck a discordant note near the end, and she could feel the flow of data rebound off of the icon, an RFID tag by the looks of it, back onto herself.>>

Mel opened her eyes as she jacked out, "Shit, I got tagged, this is going to get a little bit hectic."

<<Jumping back in, her the Matrix slowing down as she struggled to hider her persona from prying eyes, Mel again made her way onto the local grid and this time completed her song, the glowing G clef adhering to the surface of the RFID tag like graffiti on a wall. Quickening her rhythm, her music became more insistent, more urgent, and she could feel the digital form of the RFID tag start to shred beneath the force of her song. Ignoring some of the code that the tag's firewall was feeding back to him, she continued, until she felt a blinding pain across her back as she was hit by an unseen foe. Staggered, she threw up a wall of sound, trying to hold out long enough to disable the RFID before jacking out. Dodging back and forth, her playing frantic now, she lashed out again at the tag, but the distraction from the foe was too much. Her code slid off of the icon, and she felt one more massive impact as her persona crumbled>>

Mel shot upright with a scream, the thin blood vessels in her forehead and near her eyes bursting from the biofeedback.
Chrome Head

Snap was surprised by the sudden and horrific effects of what she assumed to be dumpshock. "Drek! Are you all right, girl?"

This isn't good...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012