Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (IC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Lobo0705
Nic's Knacks, 4:00 PM, September 11, 2075

Jack's vat-grown muscles rippled under his overalls. "Higher, ya idiot, how am I supposed to reach under there without any room?"

Jack gritted his teeth, indulging in a brief but sweet daydream of dropping the engine block he was hauling out of the Comet onto Nic's grizzled head. Pushing that thought aside, he used the hoist to move the engine out of the old troll's way, letting him get deeper into the hood of the vehicle. Swinging it over and down onto the floor, he heaved a sigh of relief and clutched at his lower back. Already lost in his work, Nic hummed a tune to himself, but he was so out of tune Jack couldn't tell if it was Eliza Starr or Nago.

"Seeing that Nic was engrossed with his work, he mumbled a low "No problem, Nic. You're welcome." under his breath, and went over to the sink, and ran some water over his face. As he looked in the mirror, he touched the scar at his temple, feeling the new piece of 'ware. He still hadn't gotten used to it, a feeling that was reinforced as he received an incoming message. The letters appeared across his vision, and he felt more than heard the Message Received indicator that came along with it.

<<@Jack [Chapel] Jack, I have another opportunity to pay the bills. If you are interested, let me know. I'll be at McCormick's in two hours.">>
Jack VII
Nic's Knacks, 4:00 PM, September 11, 2075

A new job, huh? the ork thought as he washed as much of the grime off his face and hands as possible. After a second, he stopped, realizing he was going to need a full-on shower if he was going to meet Chapel. That guy would never let him live it down if he showed up at a meet looking like a grease monkey. Jack paused, somewhat surprised at himself that he was already in the mind-set that he was going to take the job.

Memories of the last job Chapel had brokered flashed through his mind: investigations, shoot-outs, a near death experience, and lot and lots of dead people. Jack could admit that the job had left a few emotional scars. He still had nightmares of Renata's body hanging from that wooden frame at the Arsenal. Dead only because he had asked a question. Shaking his head, the ork cleared out his misgivings. Life sucked, the only thing you can do is try to clean up the drek and make it better for yourself and your friends.

Watching Nic continue his ministrations on the vehicle, the ork sent a message back to Chapel.

<<@Chapel [JustJack] Hoi, chummer. I may be game. Can you give me an idea about what I'm going to be doing and who else is on the job?>>

To be honest, the second half of the question might have been more important than the first. After his experience with Grease during the last job, Jack wasn't entirely sure he was going to be up to working with anyone new. Given Overkill's return to Europe, he had the sinking feeling that he may not have a choice.
Lobo0705
Amy's Apartment, 4:00 PM, September 11, 2075

The sun shone in through the open window in Amy's kitchenette. Sam sat at the table, doing her Social Studies homework while Amy helped. "No Sam, I know what that book says, but whatever nonsense they were spouting after being caught, the people pulling the strings were corporate backed, and not religious zealots."

While Amy was happy in general with the school, and even happier that Sam had children her own age to play with, she was not excited at all about the prospect of the corporate-driven agenda that passed for curriculum these days. She knew she would have to remain active if she wanted Sam's impressionable young mind not to be warped by their teachings. She removed the vegetables from the fridge, preparing to make a stir fry for dinner that evening. She was unpleasantly surprised at how quickly money was spent when you wanted to eat even some real food at dinner, and knew she would either have to switch back to straight soy products soon or start dipping into her rainy-day money.

Her commlink made a chirping noise, and she quickly wiped her hands on her pants, then picked it up, seeing the message flashing.

<<@Amy [Chapel] Amy, or should I say Snap? A job opportunity has come along, and I believe that the team could use your skill set. I will be at McCormick's at 6:00 PM this evening, please let me know in advance if you will be joining us.>>

Lobo0705
East 56th Ave, 4:00 PM, September 11, 2075

"Oh my GOD!" Screams of terror erupted from the back of Grease's cab, and the slender elf shut off the audio from the interior. His body was slumped in its VR harness in the front seat, and his mind was on the road in front of him.

He felt a tickling along his left elbow, not painful, but worrisome. Gotta get those brake pads checked, they feel a little loose. He could feel a stiff breeze cross his face as a BMW M8 passed him coming the other direction. From the internal camera, his passenger seemed upset because Grease was the BMW's lane at the time. Clicking on the speaker, he sent a reassuring, "Remain calm, all is well." back into the cab, and then got back to concentrating on the road. He felt rather than saw the passenger pulling at the door handle. "Quit it back there, you are going to get hurt, or worse, break my door handle. We'll be there in a minute."

Customers. They are the worst. I need a new job.

Pulling up to the passenger's destination, he skidded to a halt, and opened the door remotely. The woman scrambled out of the car, almost dropping her stuff in her haste to get out. "I'm going to call the Star!" but she was already talking to thin air, as Grease floored it and pulled back out into traffic. He had gotten a new message from Chapel, and that looked much more interesting than arguing over the 20 nuyen.gif fare from woman, if she even paid it. Some people are so ungrateful.

Checking his AR again, he re-read the message: <<@Grease [Chapel] My friend! It has been too long. Why do we always take so long between meetings? I have a job that may interest you, please be at McCormick's tonight if you are interested, and as always, please RSVP. Hope to see you there.>>
Lobo0705
Tempus Fugit, 4:00 PM, September 11, 2075

Mel rolled out of bed as her the message flared across her optic nerve, waking her from a sound sleep. Stretching her arms over her head she gave a huge yawn, and then rubbed her eyes until she saw bright flashes floating in front of her eyes. rolling off of the cot that she used for a bed, she manipulated the icon for the soykaf machine, setting it to produce a liquid that tasted something like a mix between dirty water and hot mud, but at least it had caffeine in it. She The smell of last night's festivities lingered down here, spilled synthol and sweat, but it was a place to stay, and Art gave her a reasonable price for it.

Pinching her nose, she downed two cups of the brown liquid, and then grabbed a Insta-Heat meal from the fridge, pulling the tabs and waiting two minutes for it to cook. As she forced down the burrito with "real cheese food substitute", she looked over the message. She went over to her cot, and reached beneath it for a small black case she kept inside an old shoe. Opening it, she saw three small chips, each one marked with a stylized musical note. Her fingers itched as she reached for one, but then thinking about the message, she re-read it.

<<@Mel [Chapel] It is time to get back on the horse. Meet me at McCormick's at 6:00 PM.>>

With a supreme act of will she closed the box and put it away.
DrZaius
East 56th Ave, 4:00 PM, September 11, 2075

Well, I can't very well show up in this.. I'll have to go home first.

Making a left across 2 lanes and cutting across part of the sidewalk, Grease composes his reply to Chapel while pouring on the gas. The "Taxi in Service" light still on, he mentally grins to himself as he sees a number of hands that were previously held up shoot firmly to their owner's side as they see his cab approaching.

<<@Chapel [Grease]: Always a pleasure. Sounds good, let me know the details and I'll be there with bells on. What time?>>

While waiting for Chapel's reply, Grease turns the light off on his cab and makes his best speed for his apartment, anxious to try out his new getup.
Melpomene
Tempus Fugit, 4:00 PM, September 11, 2075

Mel slid the box back to its assigned spot. For a moment, she froze, her eyes unfocused. She remembered that last run. The faces of the others came unbidden to her mind. She hadn't thought about them for a while, but now that night came back like it was waiting for her, like a predator in the dark.

With effort, she shut her eyes, and activated her internal sound link.

Best way to drown out bad memories? SOUND.

She cranked up the link. Double bass drums, screaming guitar, a heavy metal crescendo roared through her mind like a derailed bullet train, shattering all other thought. Mel slowly rose, arms outstretched, head back. Her eyes flew open and she screamed like a banshee as the music hit its climax. Her voice trailed off as the music faded.

There was no sound for a moment. Mel brought her hands to her sides, hands balled into fists. Her eyes were focused. Determined. Ready.

She mentally clicked her deck through the DNI.

<<@Chapel [Melpomene]: I agree. Let's trip the light. See you at 6.>>

Mel moved with purpose. She wiped her face down in the bathroom sink, and put on her UE 'suit...she loved that is was protective, yet baggy. She slid her deck into the pocket designed for it, and grabbed her Fichetti, fitting it under her left arm in another pocket, then her IDs (into another pocket). She returned to the bathroom mirror and regarded herself. She looked at the left side of her head. In the mirror, she could just make out a song lyric tattooed into her skin. She smiled as she read the lyric in her mind, her finger tracing the letters.

Back in black
I hit the sack
I been too long I'm glad to be back
Yes I am
Let loose from the noose
That's kept me hanging about

She smiled...the words translating to the vocals then to the sound in her mind. Without another word, she walked out into the sun, and looked to hail a cab.
Lobo0705
Nic's Knacks, 4:15 PM, September 11, 2075

Chapel's response game back after a few minutes, the words appearing across the bottom of the news program Jack was watching as he cleaned up.

<<@Jack [Chapel] I think you'll be pleased with the other people I've contacted about this. As you know, I don't like to give out too much info before I have the agreement that you are on-board. Talk to you shortly.>>

Grease's apartment, 4:15 PM, September 11, 2075

<<@Grease [Chapel] The meeting starts at 6:00 my friend.>>

Grease checks the time stamp on the message, and quickly sends back <<@Chapel [Grease] No problem, save a seat for me.>>
Jack VII

Jack grunted, a little annoyed the fixer wasn't more forthcoming, but figured he hadn't really expected more. The suggestion that he would be pleased with the other runners being invited comforted him. Chapel was a pretty straight shooter when it came to that... then again, he had introduced him to Grease. While working with the elf for a week had created something of a bond, the ork was still concerned about the elf's loyalty and reliability. As long as he doesn't show up to this meet high, I think we'll be okay... he thought to himself.

Taking the garment bag out of his closet, Jack pulled out his new Zoe Executive Suite suit. Remembering the chagrin he felt when he and Grease showed up at the meet with Ramirez wearing the same suit, the ork was determined not to let that happen again. As such, the suit was one of the first things he had purchased with his earnings from the last run. There was a niggling at the back of his mind, a fear that the elf had also used some of his earnings to buy the same suit as he. But Jack had made sure to ask Davis the tailor if he had done any work for an elf looking like Grease and he had denied it. Then again, I'd probably deny providing goods and services to Grease too...

Figuring nothing could be done about it, Jack put the suit on and grabbed his Streetline Special. The gun was almost a joke, he could probably do more damage by hitting someone with his fists, but he didn't care. He had even taken the extra effort to have a smartgun system installed in the little gun so that he would hopefully be a little bit more accurate with it. To give the little pistol some added kick, it was loaded with APDS rounds. Checking himself out in the mirror, he figured he looked professional enough, the dull gleam of the datajack even giving him an added corp touch. If not for the vat-grown muscles filling out the suit, he'd probably look like a mid-level manager with some corp, probably EVO.

Grabbing his commlink, he was about to call for a cab when he remembered the new datajack installed in his head. He was still getting used to it. Mentally accessing his contact list, he called up Amindola's and requested a ride to McCormick's, arrival time no later than 1740.

GEAR
[ Spoiler ]
Chrome Head
Amy's Apartment, 4:00 PM, September 11, 2075

Finally! Amy was actually itching to go back to work, if for nothing else than to get paid again. Truth be told, she felt like she didn't have much to do after this first run, how was she spending her time before running the shadows, she almost wondered.

"Hey Sam, looks like I'm going back to work soon! I hope it won't be as crazy as last time, but just in case I'll have someone look over you tonight. Remember Lizzy? I'll see if she can come over tonight like last week."

<<@Chapel [Snap] Yeah it's Snap now smile.gif Of course you can count on me! I need the money...>>

Eager for the evening, she stared assembling what little gear she had for running.

[ Spoiler ]
Jack VII

Jack had just made his reservation with Amendola's when a new message icon popped up in his DNI-enabled AR display. His commlink registered the message as coming from a commcode tied to Amy.

<<@Jack [Amy] Hoi, Jack! It's Snap. Did you by chance get invited to McCormick's for a meeting tonight at 6PM? I was wondering if you wanted to share the ride and save some cash?>>

Snap? Who the frag had come up with that dumb name? the ork thought as he mentally changed the contact information tied to that commcode, relabeling it to Snap. Thinking on it further, he figured the name kind of fit. She was quick, quick-thinking, and quick-tempered when the drek hit the fan. Jack was pleased that Amy was along for the ride. She had matured a lot over the course of the last run, although she needed to work on keeping herself out of the line of fire. The gunshot wounds he had suffered trying to keep her alive during the last job had healed, but it wasn't an experience Jack wanted to repeat. With Overkill in Europe somewhere, he felt she might have a little more room to grow without his occasionally overbearing protection getting in the way. The ork mentally composed a message in return.

<<@Snap [JustJack] ¡Hola, uh, Snap? That's going to take a little getting used to, chica. I do happen to have dinner reservations at McCormick's tonight for 6PM and would love to split the fare. I wanted to try to get there early for around 1740, if that's okay. Just schedule the cab and I'll be ready. I'm still at Nic's.>>

Sending the message, Jack mentally accessed his commlink again and cancelled his reservation with Amendola's.

Nic's Knacks, 5:25 PM, September 11, 2075

Jack was waiting outside when the sleek cab pulled up. The precision in the vehicle's movement reminded Jack of Grease's driving, albeit at a less insane speed and without the total disregard for safety. Opening the back door, Jack smiled at Amy, the elf looking much healthier than the last time he had seen her.

"Am- Snap! It's good to see you again." Jack said, his happiness sincere. Sliding into the back seat, the ork glanced toward the front of the cab and saw that the driver was fully immersed in VR. As the door closed, the cab pulled away from the building. "How's everything? How's Sam doing?"
Chrome Head

Amy seems to be in great shape and happy to see Jack. "Heeey Jack! We're doing great, she's finally going to school now, I'm so proud of her, soon she'll have things to teach me. If only it wasn't the corporate sponsored drek that passes as education. Maybe we should come visit you and uncle Nic some time. How's the old man doing? Is he around?"

"The nickname was Grease's idea. I don't mind it, but if you think you have to get used to it, imagine me!"
Jack VII

Jack frowned. Of course the name was Grease's idea...

Covering the frown with his hand, he chuckled. "Hey, legends have to start somewhere, right Snap?" Pausing for a second, the ork gathers his thoughts. "Glad to hear your girl's doing well. I'm sure even with the corp influence, she's getting a solid foundation. If she needs help with her math homework, just give me a buzz. Nic's doing well, he's been working my hoop off though... you know, I think he actually may miss Kevin coming around. Have you seen him lately? I think Nic would enjoy it if he visited."
Chrome Head

"Only seen him a couple of times in the last month. I think he needed some alone time after all the moving around and extra socializing. He's a good kid, but he sure likes to keep to himself and his machines most of the time. I'm sure he really likes Nic though, so I'll let him know. I'm almost surprised that he hasn't showed up to your doorstep on his own already."

"Glad to hear you kept busy. I found normal life to be a bit dull after the stress and excitement of last month. It's funny how when I was on the job, all I was thinking about was to go back home, take a shower and watch cartoons with Sam, but then after a week or two, I was sort of missing it."
Jack VII

Jack laughed. "That's usually the way of it," he replied. "It takes the right attitude to do this kind of work and that attitude lends itself to boredom when the drek isn't hitting the fan. I wonder what we're going to be getting up to this time? You've got to put that new handle to use. Look at it this way, you've easily got the best street name out of all of us..."

The ork let the conversation trail off on his end, watching the Warrens pass by outside the cab. He had never been good at small talk. At least, he didn't think so; he was sure he wasn't really good at it now.
Lobo0705
Grease's Apartment, UCAS Zone, 5:15 PM September 11, 2075

As Grease was preparing himself for his meeting with Chapel, he sent a Fly Spy ahead to see if anyone he recognized would be at the meeting. It doesn't hurt to have the lay of the land before I get there, he thought, as he put on his Berwick, checking the wireless connection to make sure it was working. The suit immediately started feeding him the latest info on a variety of topics that might be interesting to various associates, movie reviews, financial reports, voting demographics, and much more. He turned it off after a second as it as too much data, not focused enough. Can't wait to see Chapel wearing this thing, for once I will be able to talk about some of the snooty restaurants he likes to go to.

The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 5:45 PM September 11, 2075

The driver had been quiet as Jack and Snap had reminisced, and it looked to Jack as if the effort to remain silent was going to cause him to have a stroke if he kept it up much longer. He looked over at Snap, and then nodded his head at the young man in the front. Snap smiled and said, "Tony, ah, Turbine, this is my friend Jack. Jack, meet Turbine. He's driven me before, and he's good people."

Turbine glanced in the rearview mirror. "Great to meet you Jack. Glad to be of service, and if you ever need a ride, just call and ask for me, okay?" His words come out in a rush, as if speaking opened a floodgate in his mouth. "And listen, if you ever need someone to drive for you on something a little more dangerous, something a little more discrete, you just say the word and I'm there." The car moves in and out of traffic smoothly, the boy able to control it effortlessly even while talking up a storm. "I'm moving up Jack, you'll see. In a little while everyone will have heard of Turbine." He gave a wide grin, and then proceeded to talk the rest of the way to the restaurant.

How do they all find me?
Jack nodded his head, unable to actually answer any of Turbine's questions before another three came out. Maybe its the Control Rig, it just messes with their brains...

Turbine was still talking as Jack transferred the money to his account with a mental command, smiling and waving him off before pinching the bridge of his nose. Taking a deep breath, he turns to Snap and says, "Come on, I'm sure Chapel is already here."

As the two enter the restaurant, a hostess with a nametag with "Cindy" written on it smiles at them and then waves them inside. It is early enough in the evening that there isn't a line, and many of the booths stand empty. Jack's shoes clack on the tile floor, and while he isn't the only one in a suit, he is in the minority. Most of the patrons are a little older, in their 50's and 60's enjoying an early dinner, but there is the occasional family as well. Cindy leads them to a booth in the back of the restaurant, where they can see Chapel is already seated. As usual, he is well attired, although his beard is trimmed a little shorter than usual. Wiping his mouth with a napkin, he slides the shrimp dish aside and stands to greet the new arrivals.

"Jack, Snap, glad to see you made it." His smile is warm, but businesslike. "Please, have a seat, and order something. Try the Grouper, I understand it is fresh today." The AR display comes up immediately as the two sit down, rolling through the specials. "We seem to have a few minutes before the others arrive, how have you two been?"
Jack VII
The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 5:45 PM September 11, 2075

Shaking Chapel's hand, Jack replied, "Thanks for the meeting, Chapel." Picking up on Chapel's use of the plural, the ork tried to estimate the number of people attending the meeting based on the size of the booth. No more than four or five people total I would think, so probably two more...

When Snap didn't immediately take a seat, Jack slid in and moved to the wall-side of the booth. He wasn't a big fan of being trapped in the booth, but he knew Snap was fast and would probably react first if anything unfortunate occurred. Not one to turn down a meal, the ork mentally accessed the menu and placed an order for the grouper. "Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll have the grouper... and thanks for asking, I'm doing well, hombre! I really appreciate you hooking me up with those concert tickets. My amigo in the ZDF and I had a great time."
Chrome Head

Amy quietly sits down, still not fully comfortable with Chapel. She depends on him to find work, but at the same time she barely knows the guy, and now the one man who had introduced them, Overkill, was gone, maybe for good.

"I'm glad you could find something for us again, I hope it pays as well as last time."

Going through the menu slowly and looking at the pictures, since reading isn't her forte, Amy ends up selecting the citrus salmon with wild rice. I wonder if they have fresh fish here or if it's just soy products. Thinking about that, she couldn't help but stare at Chapel's shrimp, trying to figure it out. "Well if it's soy, they sure made a good job of hiding it, I bet it tastes amazing."
DrZaius
The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 5:57 PM September 11, 2075

Pulling on the cuff of his new suit, Grease enters the restaurant with only a scant few minutes to spare before the scheduled time for the meeting. It always bothered you that some people made an effort to show up on time, whereas others seemed to either cut it as close as possible, or even show up late. What was so hard about arriving a place when you said you'd be there? All that said, he seemed to be healthy, at least in comparison to the last time you saw him in similar circumstances.

Not high as a kite this time at least.. Jack thought to himself.

The elf feigned looking around the restaurant for a few moments, despite the fact that he pinged everyone at the table in AR a few moments before. The look of recognition and pleasure that spread across his face when he sees your table is 100% artificial; despite knowing this at a fundamental level, a smile creeps over both Jack and Amy's lips as they see him approach their table. Whatever could be said about Grease that hadn't already been discussed, he at least was able to make himself feel welcome, simply through some force of personality.

Pulling down the vest of his new 3-piece suit, Grease smiled around the table. "I hope you didn't order wine before I arrived; I wouldn't trust these two to pick a bottle if my life depended on it." He gives Snap a quick wink, seating himself. He taps his chin slightly, as if pensive. "This one though- who really knows what he knows? He may have something up there that would surprise me." he adds, spreading his smile to Jack.

"So, the three of us back together. Are we expecting anyone else, or should we discuss the 'menu'?"

GEAR
[ Spoiler ]
Lobo0705
The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 5:57 PM September 11, 2075

Chapel engages in light conversation with Jack and Amy for the next few minutes, his manner easy and friendly.

"Glad you enjoyed the show, I'm a bit too old to be going to any Nago shows, old bones don't heal like young ones. If you are looking to spend a little more money and give me a little more warning, I can get back stage passes as well."

He enjoys a sip of whiskey, turning his attention to Snap. "As for you young lady, my client was very happy with your group's performance, and our mutual friend let me know of your contributions to the effort. How could I leave you out?"

He looks up as a figure familiar to Jack and Snap arrives, and a wide smile breaks out over his face, "Hello old friend. I would shake your hand, but I'm a bit trapped in the booth. Please, sit."

As Grease makes himself comfortable, managing to be both friendly and grating at the same time, Chapel responds to his question.

"We have one more coming, I would prefer to wait for her before I begin. In the meantime, please, enjoy the food"
Melpomene
The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 5:58 PM September 11, 2075

Mel knew the cab would be late. The driver was too busy with seventeen other goddamn things on his display to maximize the drive. Her internal clock clicked the minutes away, and she constantly ran simulations in her mind to determine what time the cab would actually get her to the restaurant.

The cab pulled up in front of the restaurant, and Mel slid out, blink-clicking the fare with no tip. "Next time, try paying attention!"

She ignored the angry retort as she entered the restaurant.

She had never been here before, so she scanned it on several levels. Visual. AR. Then finally, aural. She picked through the various sounds coming from this place...the clicking of dishes from the kitchen...the calling of orders from three waitresses...the register running credsticks...the conversations.

Those were always the most interesting. Social conversations were so organic...never a normal structure, they existed on the emotion of two or more living creatures. Mel loved to eavesdrop. Not for information (though that was always a bonus), but for the myriad changes in pitch, loudness, and timbre.

Her eyes followed the direction her ears pinpointed.

"...after work, if we get on the road fast enough, we can get to the lodge by 7..."

Human male. Human female. two human children.

"...that's not going to work for me, Mr. Fredricks. The salary needs to be at least 20% more than that..."

Human female. Elf male.

"...expecting someone else, should we discuss the menu?"

Elf male. Elf female. Ork male. Human male.

Chapel.

Mel moved to that table, angling her approach to be in Chapel's eye line. She removed her glasses as she approached the table.

"Good evening, Chapel. Good evening everyone. I am Melpomene, though most people just call me Mel. May I join you?"

Gear
[ Spoiler ]
Jack VII
The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 5:58 PM, Friday, September 11, 2075

Jack eyed the new arrival. Gracias a Dios, she's not another elf... he thought as he appraised the woman. Short, even for a human, physically speaking she didn't appear to be much of a combatant. Then again, cyberware was pretty easy to hide. Figuring she was filling-in for the void Overkill had left, he guessed she was a decker of some sort. Briefly glancing at Amy, Jack thought What is it with women and head tattoos? Shrugging, the ork nodded to the new arrival, assuming Chapel would do the introductions.
Lobo0705
The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 5:58 PM September 11, 2075

Chapel nods to the newcomer, gesturing for her to have a seat.

"Mel, glad you could make it. Meet Jack, Snap, and Grease." Chapel nods to each in turn. Taking another sip of his whiskey, he addresses the group.

"The last I heard from our German friend, he is still unavailable, so I thought that the team could use a new decker to assist."
Jack VII
The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 5:59 PM September 11, 2075

"Nice to meet you," Jack said after Chapel's introduction. "Good matrix support is always bueno." As the rest made their introductions, the ork studied Grease. The elf looked about the same as last time, but was fortunately outfitted in an entirely different suit than was the ork. Victorias pequeñas... He also didn't appear to be as... animated, although they hadn't quite gotten to the point where they were meeting with Johnson, so there was plenty of time for the elf to live up to Jack's expectations and frag it up.
Lobo0705
The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 6:03 PM September 11, 2075

The restaurant was beginning to get louder, the evening rush slowly beginning to come through the doors. As an added precaution, Chapel removed a small device and placed it on the center of the table, hiding it next to the salt and pepper caddy.

Switching it on, it generated a low hum, that Jack, Grease, and Snap barely heard, but that immediately set Mel’s teeth on edge. Adjusting her ears to tune out the toneless humming, she was able to relax enough to pay attention to Chapel again.

“As usual, this is just a preliminary meeting. Up until I give you specifics, and you agree, you can walk away.” He finishes the whiskey he has been sipping, throwing the last of it back and then sucking in his breath through his teeth as the liquor goes down.

“This particular job is a theft, there are two items in question, and both are light, fragile, and easily portable. The location is a private residence, but there will be physical security present due to the high value of the items.”

He pauses as he signals the waitress for another drink.

“Magical security should be light, but I wouldn’t count it out, the residence does, however, have state of the art Matrix security, but I have something that should make that easier. When you bring the items too me undamaged,” he stresses the last word, “I should be able to reimburse you at the rate of 50,000 nuyen.gif per item.”

The waitress comes back with his drink, and he lets that all sink in for a moment. “So, are you interested?”
Jack VII
The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 6:03 PM September 11, 2075

Jack thought the offer over in his head. So far, it sounded a lot easier than the last job they had worked. With the location of the items already known, that would cut out a lot of legwork. The team would obviously have to do their own intelligence gathering before they made the attempt, but that was pretty much a given. A total payout of 100K would mean they'd take home 25K each if everything worked out like they hoped. The job certainly interested him.

"I'm interested. What's the deadline?" the ork asked. There had to be some kind of deadline. Remembering Snap's travel difficulties during the last job, he followed up before receiving an answer. "Also, is there going to be a lot of travel? We ran into a few issues with that last time, especially if we're going to have to cross sectors."
Lobo0705

While waiting for the others to respond, Chapel takes a moment to answer Jack's questions.

"There isn't a deadline per se, but rather a rapidly closing window of opportunity. As far as travel, I can tell you that the residence is not in the UCAS Zone, but I will not say which zone it is in until you accept the job. I can say you will not be leaving the FRFZ on the job."

DrZaius

Mentally rolling his eyes, Grease thought a curse to himself for having Jack weaken his negotiating position by agreeing before prying for more details. He made a mental note to remind Jack to let him do the talking, and then made a physical note in AR to do the same under the table.

Showing his teeth in a wide grin, he nods at Chapel. "There are a few details I'd be interested in first about the items in question, if you are able to provide certain information about them prior to us accepting the job. First and foremost, are they alive? Stealing someone's prototype has different repercussions than taking their children, for example." His smile does not reach his eyes. "I am not interested in playing 20 questions; rather getting a general sense of how difficult the job will be, without gleaning any information your client would prefer we didn't share."
Jack VII

Jack grumbled silently, but held his peace. Chapel's answers were always infuriatingly vague. So there isn't a deadline, but a rapidly closing window of opportunity? Perhaps the ork wasn't creative enough, but he didn't failed to see a meaningful difference. At least he knew they were going to have to cross a border, so it would be helpful to know if they were going to have the time to acquire a travel visa or if they were going to have to rely on a coyote to get them in and out. If the latter, he would definitely have second thoughts about the job.

While the rest of the team spoke their mind about the job, Jack started to draw up an AR list of things to consider for the job.

<<Job Concerns:
1) Travel: Do we attempt to use official channels to travel or do we find a Coyote? Check w/Jason? Probably not developed enough...
2) Equipment: Shock-Proof Cases. If using official travel, how do we get them back to the UCAS? Without knowing what the items are or whether they're legal, Coyote may be the best bet.
3) Cover Story: What are we telling people is the reason we're going where we need to go?
4) Vehicles & Drones: Since we're probably not using Grease's vehicles, what are we going to use in the target zone?
5) Pending...>>
Lobo0705

Chapel turns to Grease, "I can tell you that they aren't alive, they aren't technological in nature, and as I said, they are fragile. You shouldn't need any special gear to carry them or to transport them, although a protective case wouldn't hurt. The items are not illegal to have or transport, so you shouldn't worry about being arrested for carrying them necessarily."
Jack VII

Chapel's response dovetailed nicely with one of his next questions.

"Not alive, non-tech, and legal should make it a bit easier." Jack replied. "We're getting paid quite a bit here, are the items particularly expensive? Even if something's not illegal, it can raise questions if it's highly expensive..."
DrZaius

Nodding along at Chapel, Grease continues his line of inquiry. "Do the items need to be delivered into the same zone as they are currently in, or do we need to worry about getting them across a border?"
Lobo0705
The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 6:04 PM September 11, 2075

Chapel sips his drink.

"Jack, they are expensive, so I wouldn't be flashing them around, although as I said there is nothing illegal about them."

Turning to Grease, he says, "Unfortunately my buyer is here in the UCAS, so yes you do need to transport them back here."
Melpomene
The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 6:04 PM September 11, 2075

Mel sat back and listened to the exchange. The ork...Jack...and the elf...Grease...were asking good questions. It wasn't Mel's place to push her way into the conversation unless it directly pertained to her, so she sat back and listened, observing the interplay between the three men.

Feth...25k! That'll make a big dent in the debt.

Every so often she would mentally scowl at the noise generator. She understood its purpose, but it still messed with her hearing, and she didn't like that at all.

DrZaius

Sipping his drink, Grease scratches his chin in a pensive motion.

"Are the items identical? Are they dangerous? How large are we talking? 10 kilos, 100?"
Lobo0705

Chapel scratches his cheek and then takes a fork full of the fish. Chewing slowly and then swallowing, he washes it down with a sip of chardonnay.

"They are not identical, not dangerous at all, and although I don't have exact weights, are probably no more than a kilo or two at most."
DrZaius

Savoring a piece of real salmon, Grease wipes his mouth with his napkin, his face looking concerned. "I apologize for all the questions old friend; I just like to find out what I'm getting myself into beforehand as much as possible." Chapel nods slightly, and Grease continues. "So, are they magical, or related to magic? Would they have special wards we'd need to dispell to protect ourselves?" He adds, nodding at Snap.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say we're stealing some very valuable books.
Jack VII

Vases... it's got to be vases... Jack thought to himself as he chewed on his grouper. The meal was delicious and arrived quickly, probably a testament to Chapel's tipping skills more than anything. The meal certainly hadn't come this quickly when he and Honeypot had been here last. The thought of the elf fence sent Jack's head spinning. He hadn't heard much from her since the job was over, but the few messages he had received indicated she was doing well and business was back to normal.

Glancing around the table, he noted the women were fairly tight-lipped tonight. With Chapel's warnings about cutting edge Matrix security, he would have thought the new addition might have tried to weasel some information out of the fixer before agreeing to the deal. She must be really good, he thought.
Lobo0705

Chapel waves off Grease's apology, "I understand, you don't want to commit to something you can't handle. Rest assured, however, as I only get paid if you succeed, I wouldn't set you to a task I think you are doomed to failure."

After another fork full, he continues. "They are not magical in nature, not that I'm aware of, and while as I said I believe magical security to be light, it would not surprise me at all if there were a ward around the room that they were in, if not the whole house."
Melpomene
The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 6:05 PM September 11, 2075

Small. Not tech. Legal. Expensive. In a private residence.

Jewelry, maybe?

Mel leans forward. "Chapel, if I may ask...you mentioned 'state-of-the-art' security, but that you had something that could help. Would it be presumptuous to ask what that something is?"
Lobo0705
The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 6:05 PM September 11, 2075

"I don't think it presumptuous at all my dear. I have the security codes for the doors and the Host of the residence. I'm going to hold off explaining where I got them until after you accept, of course."

He smiles, "That should make your job significantly easier, yes?"

Melpomene

Mel nods. "Last time a fixer got me security codes and told me it'll be easy, my brain was shredded by black IC and the fixer got his head separated from his neck."

She scratched her chin absently. "But who wants to live forever? I'm in."
Lobo0705

Chapel's smile faded slightly at Mel's statement, and a slight turn at the corner of his eyes showed that he was surprised at the information. Still, ever professional, he nodded.

"Excellent. Jack, Grease? Any more questions, or will you be joining Mel? And Snap, you've been remarkably silent on the matter. Can we count you in?"
Jack VII

Jack's final bite of grouper was halfway up to his mouth when Mel threatened Chapel. Well, it wasn't exactly a threat, but it was really close to it. Had they been on a trid sit-com, the current pregnant pause would have been preceded by the sound of a scratch across one of those old vinyl records. As Chapel seemed unperturbed, Jack caught Grease's eye across the table and winked at him, trying to cover his smirk as he finished his meal.

<<@Grease [JustJack] That one's a charmer>>

Putting his fork down and picking up a napkin, the ork wiped his face. Nodding to Chapel, Jack responded, "I'm game. I think Grease probably has a better handle on our worth, so I'm happy for him to speak on my behalf for final payment. With that said, I do think we're going to need a bit of an advance. We've got so many expenses: legitimate travel or otherwise, securing a base of operations in whatever sector we're heading to, gear and supplies since we probably can't take too much of our gear there..."

Jack left the rest of the sentence hang in the air, figuring Grease would pick up the tail of the conversation and drive the whole thing home.
DrZaius

Grease raises a significant eyebrow to Jack, but says nothing. Carefully setting his fork next to his knife on his plate indicating he was finished, Grease leans back and looks around the table. "Well, normally I'd want more details before I embarked on an endeavor such as this. But!" He looks at Chapel intently. "You know me well. I just have to know what the heck you're talking about, regardless of the danger involved. I'm in."
Chrome Head

The new runner on the team seemed nice enough. She had a very distinctive style about her that Amy actually found appealing. She hoped that the two of them could eventually bond. As a shaman and a techie, but also as two women in a men's world.

So first Amy had to start counting in her head. 50+50. 100. Divided by 4. Hmmm... 25! About the same as last time. Score!

Then she actually thought about the job itself. A theft? Nice! Stealing from the suit-wearing corporate-types -- well the real ones, not like Grease -- would definitely be fun. I hope it's the mayor's house or something.

Then she just listened to what everyone was saying. She could feel the tension in the air, and tried to get a feel for everyone's emotions. The specifics didn't interest her that much, and she was eventually lost in a slight daze, which wasn't typical of her. Shaking it off, she answered Chapel.

"I'm in if Jack and Grease are in. Stealing from the rich and powerful, what more can I ask for? Tell us more! Who are we stealing from?"
Lobo0705
The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 6:06 PM September 11, 2075

Chapel takes one last sip of his wine, and then nods. "Excellent. To the heart of the matter then." Mel is the first to hear it, the sound of heels striking tile approaching, and she turns, seeing a beautiful Asian woman wearing sunglasses and a hooded sweatshirt approach the table. Although her clothing is non-descript, her nails and makeup speak to time, effort, and money.

The team looks to Chapel, who quickly says, "It is okay, this is Li Jingfei, our client." He nods at her, and then with a wave of his hand, sends ach member of the team receives a file, the video streaming direct to their optic nerve through their DNI interfaces.

The video is of a local grocer, the sunlight streaming in from the outside window indicating it is morning, the time stamp on the video confirming it. Strange spices and produce cover the shelves, along with logographic writing common to Asia, but none of the team are able to tell the specific language.

In the center of the frame, Jingfei is putting what appears to be ginger root into her cart. A man stands behind the counter, probably in his mid to late 60's, a ponytail seeming to compensate for his receding hairline. A middle-aged couple with a small child wander up and down the aisle, and a fit man in his late twenties is sorting through a stand of apples, selecting one or two for his basket.

The time stamp shows 11:25 when two men enter the grocer, they are Asian, as is everyone else in the store. Their trenchcoats are unusual for the mild September weather, and after only a moment of looking their eyes settle on Jingfei. They move through the store and speak to her for a moment, and it is then that it hits the team that there is no audio. They speak for a moment, Jingfei seeming to get agitated, and the young man coming over to see what is the matter. One of the men in the trenchcoats grabs the woman, pulling an HK from under his coat and pointing it at her, while the other steps in front of the young man with the apples.

Seeing the gun, Jingfei appears to scream, and the young man seems to blur. He drops the bag of apples, reaching for the man in front of him, a stiff-fingered jab to the solar plexus followed by a knee to the face as the man doubles over. The other assailant, swings his HK over toward him, but Jingfei pushes him, throwing his aim off, the bullets going wide and passing out of frame. The man closes the distance in an instant, and with a quick series of elbows and knees drops the assailant. Jingfei bows to the man for a moment, and then rushes out of the store.

As the video stops, the woman begins to speak, quickly and urgently, and in a language none of you can understand. As she pauses, Chapel begins to translate.

"I have been the mistress of Chen Huiquing for two years now. What began as a mutual attraction has grown stronger, I love him, and I feel that he has shared my feelings as well."

Another image appears in the teams vision, a good looking man in his late forties, still fit and with the healthy glow only money can buy. Chapel pauses his translation, "This is a picture of him from last week that Jingfei has provided."

Another spate of words from her, and Chapel continues. "He has said to me that he will leave his wife, but he never does. Last week I gave him an ultimatum, either he leaves his wife soon, or I will no longer be his mistress. And for this he sends his men to kill me! The bastard!"

Chapel pauses for a second, and says "She said a lot more than "bastard" but that sums it up." Jingfei has continued and Chapel rushes to catch up. "He has two priceless works of art in his collection. I have the security codes to the house and the safe, he trusted me, the son-of-a-bitch, and now I want to pay him back. Steal them and the reward will be great."

Two more images appear, one of a vase, another a statuette of a dragon. "He will be selling these tomorrow at auction, and security will be tightened to move them to the auction house."

Her voice seems to soften, and Chapel translates, "I do not want you to hurt him. Even now, even after what he tried to do to me, I do not want that. But he will lose face when these objects are stolen, and the money will help me move on."

She falls silent for a moment and then whispers something, Chapel strains to hear it and then says, his voice just as soft, "I truly thought he loved me."

As Jingfei remains quiet for a moment, Chapel speaks up. "Huiquing's house is located near Chinatown in the CAS sector. I can provide you with an exact location. I'm sure you have questions." He takes a sip of wine and looks up expectantly.
Jack VII
The New McCormicks Seafood House, East 72nd and Grape Street, 6:06 PM September 11, 2075

Ha! I knew it was a vase! Well, at least one of them's a vase...

Jack considered the woman while she spoke and Chapel translated. What was the tagline from that movie about the psycho ex-girlfriend? Hell has no fury like a woman scorned? Yeah, that seems to fit the bill here... Still, Jack had to admit that it was good money. So good he had to wonder where this woman was getting it. Then again, Chapel would never have set up the meet if he didn't know the money was good.

Glancing at Grease before addressing Chapel, Jack said, "Rapidly closing window of opportunity seems like an understatement, amigo. It sounds like we have to do this job tonight. That's going to change our plans significantly. Normally, we'd do our own legwork, but it doesn't sound like we're going to have time this go around. What's the source of Chen Huiquing's jugo? Corp, Triads, somewhere else?"

Jack was not a fan of limited planning, not to mention trying to hop an international border twice. Looks like they were going to have to find a coyote. The ork composes a quick message to Chapel.

<<@Chapel [JustJack] What language is she speaking? I may need to pick up a linguasoft>>
Lobo0705

Chapel translates for Jack, and Jingfei answers back through Chapel, "Huiquing is a member of the White Lotus Triad. I do not know the inner workings of the organization very well, but he is highly placed, given the amount of respect he commands from the men I have seen him meet with."

<<@Jack [Chapel] That wouldn't be a bad idea. She is speaking Mandarin. Fortunately I spent some time in... well never mind that, the linguasoft should be easy to find.>>
DrZaius

Being careful to keep his expression neutral, Grease listens impassively to the spurned Mistresses' story. He mentally sends a few messages out to the team:

<<@Melpomene [Grease]: Melpomene, a pleasure to meet you. I don't believe I introduced myself prior to the start of our meeting; everyone just calls me Grease.>>
<<@Team [Grease]: Presume Mrs. Johnson speaks perfect English; be careful what you say.>>

Arching his fingertips, Grease directs a line of inquiry to Chapel.

"Old friend, while my curiosity is sated, I feel I have more questions than when we started. The timeline of this leaves much to be desired. I can't help but wonder where in a past life I may have offended a group of Triads; to present me with such an attractive offer tied with such a dangerous mission."

Turning slightly in his seat to address Jingfei, Grease smiles demurely.

This is going to be a hell of a lot harder through a translator. I knew I should have listened to my mother when she told me to study my Mandarin.

"Mrs. Johnson, thank you for this opportunity. For us to succeed at this job, we need to be completely honest with one another. I know that it seems counter-intuitive to think that you need to tell thieves the truth; but if everyone wants to get what they want, knowing the lay of the land.." He gestures to accompany his speech, trying to clarify any idioms he may use, "will be vital. How long have you planned on taking these items?" He raises a finger. "Know that I am passing no judgement; but simply am trying to understand how difficult our mission will be. I feel honor-bound by my agreement; I am going to undertake your mission regardless of the risk."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012