Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Earthdawn Airships in the Sixth World
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 15 2016, 12:37 PM) *
plants have a proven track record of scrubbing CO2 out of the air that goes back hundreds of millions of years. they are extremely reliable, and won't break down just because a part got worn out. they do not require that you carry extra parts, and they are also good at reclaiming other waste products. they additionally provide valuable resources including food, building materials, fabric, medicine, and even some recreational drugs.

if you're going to go someplace so far into deep space that a small-scale infinite power source is worth the investment described (and therefore are not within range to get any replacement parts for machines), then why would you use anything other than plants to keep your air supply clean?

(i can certainly understand wanting to have emergency backup systems to rapidly replenish air supplies, but for the long haul, it really just makes sense to use plants).

It's a question of size required, which adds weight, which means more fuel required and a higher ship construction cost. For a ship that just does Earth to Mars round trips - maybe. Plants take time to produce food, and IIRC, a good yardstick is 1 acre of land per person per year to grow food. If you're transporting 100 people, do you really want to have to build a ship that has 100 acres of space inside? Investing in a permanent magic item enchanted with the Hibernate spell, or using an endless electricity item to power 2070's biostasis chambers both seem like way better ideas to me. A nice compact ship, with the passengers as cargo and the piloting computer doing the driving.

EDIT:

On the other hand, if I were building a Space Habitat, absolutely, bring in and grow as many plants as possible. Everywhere you can cram in another plant, do it. Not just for the physical benefits you've pointed out, but they also help provide as much of a manasphere as possible for the place.

This begs the question - just how much vegetation is required to equal Earth's manasphere? How much to compensate from -12 to 0? The Ares Eden space station is described as having an "anemic" manasphere, so what if we built one ten times that size? A hundred times bigger? A thousand times bigger? This discussion does raise some other interesting questions as well.
Sengir
QUOTE (lokii @ Jun 15 2016, 09:03 PM) *
I would have to read up on this, but I think it was implied that foveae (also voids) are connected to corruption. There are first mentioned in the Aztlan sourcebook.

They have the same "10D6 sanity loss" effect as other bad things man was not supposed to know, but I don't think they are directly connected. The Horrors exist in periods of extremely high magic and therefore would presumably also have a difficult time in mana voids...

And thanks for the source, somehow my CTRL+F didn't find it
lokii
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jun 15 2016, 09:59 PM) *
This begs the question - just how much vegetation is required to equal Earth's manasphere? How much to compensate from -12 to 0? The Ares Eden space station is described as having an "anemic" manasphere, so what if we built one ten times that size? A hundred times bigger? A thousand times bigger? This discussion does raise some other interesting questions as well.
I would tend to think that Earth's manasphere can probably not be replicated, just because I think the living aura of the planet should make a difference. But really we lack the information to answer that. Though I would point out that the old Tom Dowd short story "Hunter and Prey" introduces the idea of training to cope with the reduced mana in space and actually becoming more powerful through that process:
"Nowhere on the Earth, perhaps, but what of above it?" [..] "I've shaped power among the stars and danced with hearts far darker than yours."

QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 15 2016, 10:14 PM) *
The Horrors exist in periods of extremely high magic and therefore would presumably also have a difficult time in mana voids...
Just for argument's sake while it is true that some of the most powerful horrors seemed to be able to manifest into the world only at the height of the mana cycle that's not necessarily true for most of the horrors. What we know is that they only have access to Earth during a high mana phase because of the "distance" between the worlds. But given that they were ready to invade what I imagine is a rather mana-impoverished early Sixth World, I assume that would have survived that invasion. We know Ysrthgrathe could exist in the Shadowrun era.

(BTW: What happens to background count 0 when the mana level rises is a good question.)

Anyway yes, if horrors are magical creatures, mana voids should be unhealty for them. I'm unsure whether there was something beside foveae, that gave me the impression they could be different.

As for a space shelter: The horrors can still hurl a projectile at it and since the sheltered population should create a weak manasphere, they can probably find their way there.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (lokii @ Jun 15 2016, 03:58 PM) *
I would tend to think that Earth's manasphere can probably not be replicated, just because I think the living aura of the planet should make a difference. But really we lack the information to answer that. Though I would point out that the old Tom Dowd short story "Hunter and Prey" introduces the idea of training to cope with the reduced mana in space and actually becoming more powerful through that process:

I'm going to have to disagree here. If manaspheres can be generated off of Earth (as the Ares Eden space station demonstrates), then I'm going to rule that a manasphere with a 0 rating can be done, it's just a question of how much life you need in one spot. I imagine it would be a fairly large amount.

QUOTE (lokii @ Jun 15 2016, 03:58 PM) *
Just for argument's sake while it is true that some of the most powerful horrors seemed to be able to manifest into the world only at the height of the mana cycle that's not necessarily true for most of the horrors. What we know is that they only have access to Earth during a high mana phase because of the "distance" between the worlds. But given that they were ready to invade what I imagine is a rather mana-impoverished early Sixth World, I assume that would have survived that invasion. We know Ysrthgrathe could exist in the Shadowrun era.

That Ysrthgrathe made it through to Earth so early in the mana cycle has always bugged me, as it's inconsistent with the rest of the cosmology that says the "Big Boys" of the Horrors can't come through so early in the cycle. It's in my house rules that this didn't happen. The events of Harlequin's Back, yes, but not Worlds Without End.
Sendaz
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jun 15 2016, 09:01 PM) *
That Ysrthgrathe made it through to Earth so early in the mana cycle has always bugged me, as it's inconsistent with the rest of the cosmology that says the "Big Boys" of the Horrors can't come through so early in the cycle. It's in my house rules that this didn't happen. The events of Harlequin's Back, yes, but not Worlds Without End.

To be fair, Ysrthie was also in a pact/horror marking with Aine, so she could well have been unwittingly providing the anchor to allow him across, albeit briefly.

Most of the time, the victims of the horrors were long gone before the next cycle came around so they didn't have that link to pop over early, but having an IE on tap probably served as the exception to the rule.
He couldn't come anytime, but when the mana was back on the rise, he had a head start on things.
lokii
QUOTE (lokii @ Jun 16 2016, 01:58 AM) *
(BTW: What happens to background count 0 when the mana level rises is a good question.)
Expanding on this a little. Let's once more go with the sine manacycle. Right now we are in a linear growth phase. Reusing the formula from before:
p = sin[(current_year-2011)*(PI/5200)]*100
year = arcsin(p/100)*(5200/PI) + 2011

Roughly speaking 2% is 2044, 4% is 2077. That means background count 0 in 2077 represents twice the amount of available ambient mana compared to zero in 2044. Of course we don't know how the background count rating relates to mana decrease or increase. I wonder if the Great Ghost Dance spike was far off the scale.
Stahlseele
That means background count 0 in 2077 represents twice the amount of available ambient mana compared to zero in 2044.

Err . . 2 x 0 = 0 ? O.o
Or am i missing something here? x.x
lokii
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 16 2016, 12:36 PM) *
Err . . 2 x 0 = 0 ? O.o
Or am i missing something here? x.x
Zero is just the value assigned to the standard mana level on the scale. So 0 background count is > 0 available mana. (-1 doesn't mean there is negative mana.)
Jaid
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jun 15 2016, 03:59 PM) *
It's a question of size required, which adds weight, which means more fuel required and a higher ship construction cost. For a ship that just does Earth to Mars round trips - maybe. Plants take time to produce food, and IIRC, a good yardstick is 1 acre of land per person per year to grow food. If you're transporting 100 people, do you really want to have to build a ship that has 100 acres of space inside? Investing in a permanent magic item enchanted with the Hibernate spell, or using an endless electricity item to power 2070's biostasis chambers both seem like way better ideas to me. A nice compact ship, with the passengers as cargo and the piloting computer doing the driving.

EDIT:

On the other hand, if I were building a Space Habitat, absolutely, bring in and grow as many plants as possible. Everywhere you can cram in another plant, do it. Not just for the physical benefits you've pointed out, but they also help provide as much of a manasphere as possible for the place.

if you're just going to mars, you don't need magical artifacts that work at a tiny fraction of their potential, especially since those artifacts could potentially kill off your high rating initiates in the process of making them. just use solar panels or nuclear reactors, and have your magicians do something more profitable.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 16 2016, 06:38 AM) *
If you're just going to Mars, you don't need magical artifacts that work at a tiny fraction of their potential, especially since those artifacts could potentially kill off your high rating initiates in the process of making them. Just use solar panels or nuclear reactors, and have your magicians do something more profitable.

That depends on how much it costs to make the items – something we don’t have any real canon yardsticks for.

I posited setting this at something like 1,000,000¥ for an item that could supply power to a small town. I have no problem saying “And if you want this to function in a mana void, add a 0 to the cost.” Mantis suggested it be more like 100,000,000¥. Let’s work with both of those figures.

At 100,000,000¥, we approach the CEO of Space Ventures, and ask him “Would you like to spend 1,000,000¥ a year (per shuttle) for the next 100 years to have perpetual power on your Earth-to-Mars shuttles? It’s not technology, so it won’t become obsolete in 10 to 20 years. You can, in fact, use it forever, and just transfer it from shuttle to shuttle, as new models become available.” There’s no reason for him not to say yes. For comparison, go have a look at what it cost to build the U.S. Space Shuttle, which isn’t even capable of interplanetary flight – this is chump change by comparison.

At 10,000,000¥, when we approach the CEO of Space Ventures and ask him the same question, he promptly whips out his checkbook and asks if he can just write you a personal check; he’ll file an expense report for it later.

So, in the end, I think this is a rather profitable enterprise for magicians. The benefits of perpetual energy are just too much to ignore.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 15 2016, 11:21 PM) *
To be fair, Ysrthie was also in a pact/horror marking with Aine, so she could well have been unwittingly providing the anchor to allow him across, albeit briefly.

Most of the time, the victims of the horrors were long gone before the next cycle came around so they didn't have that link to pop over early, but having an IE on tap probably served as the exception to the rule.
He couldn't come anytime, but when the mana was back on the rise, he had a head start on things.

I thought that as of the novel Scars (which I never finished reading - need to get back to that), that Aina managed to "remake her Pattern" and free herself of her magical ties to Ysrthgrathe. Of course, this does nothing to stop his obsession with her, but he shouldn't be able to use her as an anchor anymore. I might need to go re-read Worlds Without End as well. I kind of liked it in some respects, but just didn't like Ysrthgrathe managing to make it through to Earth this early in the cycle. Either the Horror "Big Boys" can't come through now or they can. And it breaks a lot of the established cosmology if they can, not even a century past the Awakening in the mana cycle.
Sengir
QUOTE (lokii @ Jun 16 2016, 01:58 AM) *

"Remember, they need a certain environment to be summoned, but they do not need it to endure."

However, we also know that the Horrors left towards the end of the Scourge, although the mana levels were still far higher than in the 2070s. My theory would be that
a) Horrors can only leave our world during the same period in which they can also enter it
b) While they can subside on low mana levels, they cannot survive the down cycles (or at least it must be really unpleasant)

Therefore, the Horrors don't leave at the end of the Scourge period because the mana level would be too low for them to survive. They leave because otherwise they would be trapped in a world careening towards the down cycle, which is the point they could indeed not survive. And of course, that means voids are really bad for them wink.gif

I'd say it stays at zero, because BGC only is the deviation from the norm. But what happens to voids, do they stay "manaless"?
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 16 2016, 11:31 AM) *
"Remember, they need a certain environment to be summoned, but they do not need it to endure."

However, we also know that the Horrors left towards the end of the Scourge, although the mana levels were still far higher than in the 2070s. My theory would be that
a) Horrors can only leave our world during the same period in which they can also enter it
b) While they can subside on low mana levels, they cannot survive the down cycles (or at least it must be really unpleasant)

Therefore, the Horrors don't leave at the end of the Scourge period because the mana level would be too low for them to survive. They leave because otherwise they would be trapped in a world careening towards the down cycle, which is the point they could indeed not survive. And of course, that means voids are really bad for them wink.gif

I'd say it stays at zero, because BGC only is the deviation from the norm. But what happens to voids, do they stay "manaless"?

I'm still going to go with only the "little guys" of the Horrors being able to make it through this early in the cycle. As the mana level rises, progressively bigger, nastier Horrors can come out to play. Then as it falls, the bigger, nastier ones are forced home first, with progressively less dangerous ones able to remain as the mana levels continue to fall. This is clean and simple, and if it contradicts the occasional novel, well, too bad for them.
Sendaz
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jun 16 2016, 02:04 PM) *
I thought that as of the novel Scars (which I never finished reading - need to get back to that), that Aina managed to "remake her Pattern" and free herself of her magical ties to Ysrthgrathe. Of course, this does nothing to stop his obsession with her, but he shouldn't be able to use her as an anchor anymore. I might need to go re-read Worlds Without End as well. I kind of liked it in some respects, but just didn't like Ysrthgrathe managing to make it through to Earth this early in the cycle. Either the Horror "Big Boys" can't come through now or they can. And it breaks a lot of the established cosmology if they can, not even a century past the Awakening in the mana cycle.

The trouble with Horror Marking is it's more insidious than most realize.

But then the whole Horror Marking was a bit OP at times and caused more than one argument around the tables, but that's another debate.

In any case I suspect she wasn't as freed as she thought back then, though it did appear at the time she had broken the Mark.

However given Ysrthie's reappearance ahead of the Horror Pack, this does raise the question was the link really broken or not?

Likewise her victory in WwoE is sort of suspect.
I know that one day the
Enemy will come again, but now that Ysrthgrathe is
gone, I feel ... safer.

<snip>
Aina,
In light of our last conversation, I thought these might be of interest to you. By the way, I've
been keeping track of these things, and on the night you told me about, there was a spike at Crater
Lake.
Dunkelzahn

<snip>

I realized now that Ysrthgrathe had sacrificed
himself. His defeat was too easy. He'd played me. Played my emotions, manipulated me all along
until I couldn't resist. It was his revenge. For he knew
that nothing would bring me greater pain than to live with the knowledge that I'd had the means to
stop them, and had let anger and fear and foolishness rule
me instead.

Yes, she got tricked into basically causing a mana spike, causing the coming Horror that little bit closer.
It happens to the best of us.

However I question her thinking that Ysrthie is really gone, because while she did lay the holy smackdown on him, it was done on this plane.
Basic Spiritbusting 101 reminds us that to permanently put the whammie on a visitor from beyond, you have to go to their metaplane to finish the job.
All she broke was his projected form to here, so if she hadn't sacrificed herself later on in D.C. she might have lived long enough to see her former lover's return to tear open that wound yet again and dump salt in it.

QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jun 16 2016, 03:43 PM) *
I'm still going to go with only the "little guys" of the Horrors being able to make it through this early in the cycle. As the mana level rises, progressively bigger, nastier Horrors can come out to play. Then as it falls, the bigger, nastier ones are forced home first, with progressively less dangerous ones able to remain as the mana levels continue to fall. This is clean and simple, and if it contradicts the occasional novel, well, too bad for them.
Which does make sense. And who said Ysrthie was a big boy? Seemed more a very enterprising Horror, but not a world shaking sort. He just got the spotlight because he was siphoning off an IE.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 16 2016, 11:51 AM) *
The trouble with Horror Marking is it's more insidious than most realize.

But it also only lasts a year and a day. During that time, the Horror can renew the Mark whenever it wants. But that also means it would certainly have "expired" during the downcycle.

And who said Ysrthie was a big boy? Seemed more a very enterprising Horror, but not a world shaking sort. He just got the spotlight because he was siphoning off an IE.

That's an interesting idea. I always just assumed that, given that's he's named and all, and not another nameless mook Horror, but that idea would reconcile his appearance with my interpretation of the mana cycle and Horrors.
JanessaVR
However I question her thinking that Ysrthie is really gone, because while she did lay the holy smackdown on him, it was done on this plane.
Basic Spiritbusting 101 reminds us that to permanently put the whammie on a visitor from beyond, you have to go to their metaplane to finish the job.
All she broke was his projected form to here, so if she hadn't sacrificed herself later on in D.C. she might have lived long enough to see her former lover's return to tear open that wound yet again and dump salt in it.

I wonder, has anyone ever found the Horrors' home metaplane? Has anyone ever visited it and lived to tell the tale? Talk about an expedition into the bowels of Hell...
Sendaz
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jun 16 2016, 04:11 PM) *
But it also only lasts a year and a day. During that time, the Horror can renew the Mark whenever it wants. But that also means it would certainly have "expired" during the downcycle.

Assuming he has to be on the same plane to 'renew' it. Given his tight bonding to his victims, this may or may not have been the case.
The Horror Marking powers of many of the Horrors varied, with some being able to do more or less with them.
But this is more down to artistic license than hard ruling, so take any of it in the spirit it was meant.

That's an interesting idea. I always just assumed that, given that's he's named and all, and not another nameless mook Horror, but that idea would reconcile his appearance with my interpretation of the mana cycle and Horrors.
He didn't destroy armies with a flick of his wrist or raze whole kingdoms to the ground, he was very personal sort of demon, riding his chosen til they broke.
So yeah, compared to some of the big boys, he was sort of small fry, granted a very engaging one and ready to take advantage of a situation.
But I doubt he would have faced off with any of the real big boys unless really pressed into a corner or to step in just long enough to rescue his Marked target by whisking them away to safety (he insists only HE gets to off them )
The Earthdawn gamebooks talked about how he generally tended to focus on small groups or individuals and usually skipped over the short lived orcs and humans, preferring longer living elves and such because he could make the suffering last longer.
He hit the jackpot when he latched onto Aine, now he had a potentially endless feast of misery given she was an IE.

QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jun 16 2016, 04:23 PM) *
I wonder, has anyone ever found the Horrors' home metaplane? Has anyone ever visited it and lived to tell the tale? Talk about an expedition into the bowels of Hell...
In ED, explorers had found other metaplanes of earth like worlds that had already been ravished by the Horror's, but don't think anyone has gone that far out to find some of their homeplanes, or lived to come back if they did.

Plus different sorts may come from different metaplanes, so finding the right one would indeed be a daunting task.

Maybe if you ever get that Worldship with the endless power supply going, one could also figure out a way to make it tear a hole between the planes to go planediving for a little visit with some high energy weapons. biggrin.gif
lokii
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 16 2016, 09:31 PM) *
Well, a nice enough theory.

QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 16 2016, 09:31 PM) *
Sure if the reason for their existence remains the same. Like being huge, lifeless and filled with mostly nothing in the case of space. But as the mana level increases the negative scale would actually be lengthened with zero moving up as it represents ever higher ambient mana. (That was what I meant with what happens to zero, of course.) So if a mana void stays at the same amount of mana its background count should probably decrease as the world mana level rises.

As for Ysrthgrathe. I think his interest in feeding of carefully selected victims is something of an acquired taste, so he is very old. But I would also think he is less about raw power. A comparison of the stats in Horrors between Ysrthgrathe and other relatively powerful horrors might give an answer.
Sendaz
QUOTE (lokii @ Jun 16 2016, 05:57 PM) *
A comparison of the stats in Horrors between Ysrthgrathe and other relatively powerful horrors might give an answer.

Hard to compare some of them as there is a variety of forms, ranging from some that only act from the astral to engine of destruction that eat dragons like popcorn.
Some stats to compare below, remember in Earthdawn a 8-12 is around average ability in a stat for a man sized humanoid.

Ysrthgrathe:
Not the most powerful, but what he does do he does well.
DEx: 13 STR: 15 TOU: 13
PER: 20 WIL: 20 CHA: 18
Initiative: 15 Physical Defense: 17
Actions: 4 Spell Defense: 25
Attack (4): 17 Social Defense: 23
Damage: Physical Armor: 8
Unarmed (3): 18 Mystic Armor: 15
Death: 129 Recovery Tests: 6
unconsciousness: 112 Knockdown: 15
Wound Threshold: 19 Movement: 6 Legend Award: Eleventh Circle (Group) Karma Points: 30
Karma Step: 18
Powers: Corrupt Karma (4): 24, Create Shadow (4),
Cursed Luck (4): 24, Displace (4): 24, Disrupt Magic (4): 24,
Durability (7), Horror Mark (4): 24, Karma Tap (4): 24,
Thought Worm (7): 27, Spellcasting (4): 24, Thread Weaving [All] (4): 24
Spells: All Disciplines (Tenth Circle)

Bone Crown the Usurper
This guy likes to take over whole towns, corrupting those at the top and influencing the rest.
But he is no slouch in a fight if the opposition gets uppity.

DEx: 18 STR: 20 TOu: 20
PER: 18 WIL: 20 CHa: 22
Initiative: 15 Physical Defense: 23
Actions: 4 Spell Defense: 23
Attack (4): 22 Social Defense: 28
Damage: Physical Armor: 7
Dagger (23): 43 Mystic Armor: 15
Death: 211 Recovery Tests: 10
unconsciousness: 184 Knockdown: 20
Wound Threshold: 25 Movement: 6
Legend Award: Fourteenth Circle (Group)
Karma Points: 20 Karma Step: See text
Powers: Aura of Awe (4): 26, Corrupt Karma (4): 24,
Create Shadow (5), Cursed Luck (4): 24, Durability (12),
Spellcasting (7): 25, Thread Weaving [Illusionism] (7): 25
Spells: Illusionism (Seventh Circle)
Equipment: Enchanted dagger (Forged +1; see text), Chain mail
Loot: None

Verjigorm
This one hunts dragons, big and small,.... successfully.
Make of that what you will...
DEx: 26 STR: 33 TOu: 29
PER: 28 WIL: 40 CHa: 23
Initiative: 30 Physical Defense: 32
Actions: 6 Spell Defense: 40
Attack (12): 38 Social Defense: 30
Damage: Physical Armor: 40
Claws (7): 40 Mystic Armor: 40
Death: 400 Recovery Tests: 14
unconsciousness: 364 Knockdown: 34
Wound Threshold: 32 Movement: 12 Legend Award: Fifteenth Circle × 5 (Group) Karma Points: 50
Karma Step: 20
Powers: Animate Dead (6): 46, Corrupt Karma (6): 46,
Cursed Luck (6): 46, Damage Shift (6): 46, Displace (6): 34,
Durability (15), Forge Horror Construct (6): 34,
Horror Mark (6): 34, Horror Thread (6): 34,
Spellcasting (12): 40, Thread Weaving [Wizardry] (12): 40,
Thought Worm (6): 46, Unnatural Life (6): 46
Spells: Wizardry (Eighth Circle)
equipment, loot: None

Now compare these to MountainShadow , or you might know him as Big D in our day

DEx: 20 STR: 34 TOu: 29
PER: 28 WIL: 26 CHa: 23
Initiative: 25 Physical Defense: 24
Actions: 5 Spell Defense: 36
Attack (cool.gif: 28 Social Defense: 29
Damage: Physical Armor: 38 Bite (7): 41; 4×Claws (5): 38 Mystic Armor: 31
Death: 265 Recovery Tests: 14
unconsciousness: 244 Knockdown: 35 Wound Threshold: 32 Movement: 7/14 * Legend Award: Fifteenth
Circle x 3 (Group)
Karma Points: 50 Karma Step: 18

* The second value is the dragon’s flying Movement Rate.
Powers (Knacks):
Armored Matrix T (7) Armored Scales (9)
Dispel Magic (5): 31 Disrupt Fate (5): 31
Dragon Breath (6): 32 (Friendly Fire) Dragonsight (7): 35 (Item History, True Sight)
Dragonspeech (11): 39 (Learn Language, Read Thoughts, Reweave Mind, Second Sight, Suggestion,
Thought Probe)
Durability (15) Enhanced Matrix T (7)
Enhanced Matrix T (7)
Fear (7): 31 (Paralyzing Gaze; see text)

Karma Cancel (6): 32 (Lend Karma)
Lair Sense (9): 37 (Absent Lair Sense, Identify Intruder, Lair Vision, Lair Mark)
Regeneration (5): 34
Spellcasting (12): 40 (Anchored Spell, Maintain Spell Threads) Spell Matrix T (7)
Spell Matrix T (7)
Spell Matrix T (7) Spell Matrix T (7)
Spell Matrix T (7) Spell Matrix T (7)
Summoning (11): 37 Suppress Magic (5): 31 Thread Weaving [All magician Disciplines] (12): 40
Venom (5): 31 Wingbeat (5): 25

Spells: All magician Disciplines (Seventh Circle)

JanessaVR
I don't read Earthdawn stats very well yet, but Verji seems a bit underpowered for someone who's supposed to be the greatest being of evil to ever have existed in the SR/ED campaign setting.
Mantis
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 16 2016, 12:32 PM) *
Maybe if you ever get that Worldship with the endless power supply going, one could also figure out a way to make it tear a hole between the planes to go planediving for a little visit with some high energy weapons. biggrin.gif

Now this sounds like a worthy effort. Plus you won't be dealing with massive mana voids.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 16 2016, 12:32 PM) *

I've semi-seriously suggested averting the next Scourge by preemptively nuking the Horrors. No, really, with actual nuclear weapons. If you can translate objects to astral space, and you can find the Horrors' home metaplane, then why not gift-wrap a few presents for them?
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jun 17 2016, 12:00 AM) *
I've semi-seriously suggested averting the next Scourge by preemptively nuking the Horrors. No, really, with actual nuclear weapons. If you can translate objects to astral space, and you can find the Horrors' home metaplane, then why not gift-wrap a few presents for them?

Because magic fucks with nukes.
Use antimatter instead.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jun 16 2016, 09:31 PM) *
Because magic fucks with nukes.
Use antimatter instead.

Yeah, I know. That would be yet another research project - making nuclear weapons reliably functional in a manasphere. I'm not sure where you'd get antimatter in weapons quantity; I don't recall reading about that anywhere in canon.
lokii
I have to say though that sounds like the kind of plan, where you feel really smart about yourself, until you realize it was a horror plot all along. biggrin.gif
lokii
Comparing just the attributes I think that bears out the argument that Ysrthgrathe isn't among the most powerful horrors. Just big league in style. wink.gif

CODE
                        Dex Str Tou Per Wil Cha
Ysrthgrathe
Bone Crown the Usurper   +5  +5  +7  -2      +4
Verjigorm               +13 +18 +16  +8 +20  +5
MountainShadow           +7 +19 +16  +8  +6  +5

(Hate to use the code environment. Man, this thing is ugly.)
Sengir
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jun 16 2016, 09:43 PM) *
This is clean and simple, and if it contradicts the occasional novel, well, too bad for them.

Contradicting the occasional novel is OK, the novels themselves do that already biggrin.gif

But the theory that only small and weak Horrors can survive the mana levels >2000 years away from the Scourge IMO directly contradicts the entire "Aztlan builds a bridge for the Horrors" storyline. The supposed threat was not a few XP pinatas for daring adventurers, but a full-blown invasion.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 17 2016, 01:34 AM) *
Contradicting the occasional novel is OK, the novels themselves do that already biggrin.gif

But the theory that only small and weak Horrors can survive the mana levels >2000 years away from the Scourge IMO directly contradicts the entire "Aztlan builds a bridge for the Horrors" storyline. The supposed threat was not a few XP pinatas for daring adventurers, but a full-blown invasion.

It's been years since I read the Dragon Heart Saga, but that's a good point. I'm going to have to nerf this bit of SR history as well. Because if I don't, then it contradicts the entire ED setting. They were only able to come out of their Kaers after most of the Horrors were forced home by the lowered mana levels. If most of them hadn't been forced home, then they would have had to stay cooped up in their Kaers until the end of the Fourth Age.

So if a "full-blown invasion" is actually possible at not even a century past the Awakening in the Sixth World...well, that's just unacceptable from a campaign setting management perspective, and my previously-stated clean and simple solution works much better. That is, unless you want the Scourge to suddenly start now, in which case you've switched to running an alternate apocalypse campaign setting for SR.

EDIT:

You could still have some of the weaker ones come through, or, as far as the Azzie efforts go, they might have succeeded in created a limited zone where the bigger, nastier Horrors could come through, but then couldn't leave that artificially-high mana zone. Imagine if they completed their Bridge, unopposed, and Big V himself successfully comes through into some Azzie pyramid. He can't actually leave the premises - that would be like stepping out of a space station without a pressure suit for him - but he's here, and can direct his lesser minions, those who can survive in the outside world's much lower mana level, to go forth and spread evil and chaos. Still a bad scenario, but every last Horror hasn't been turned loose on the world just yet, and it might be possible to force them back home, though at a terrible cost, most likely.
lokii
I never really looked at it this way, but it seems to me, that Earthdawn and Shadowrun simply work with two different mechanisms for how the horrors enter the physical world:

ED: I think the whole idea of a distance between the worlds will not be found in Earthdawn. Though I would have to look much deeper into it to be certain. Rather Earthdawn presents the idea, that the horrors are dependent on the mana level. So at first we see a few weaker horrors and only during the high point of the cycle can the bulk enter the world and the Scourge begins.

SR: In Shadowrun for Harlequin's Back they come up with the idea that the mana level is correlated with the distance between the horror's plane and ours, but seem to drop the whole notion that they need a high mana level to sustain themselves. I get that a beachhead could already be bad, but the threat was always portrayed as full on invasion leading to an early Scourge.

Now I assume that the mana need of a horror is correlated with its power. The Earthdawn mechanism then actually seems more flawed to me. An aside first: It implies that there are many more powerful horrors than weaker ones as most of them only arrive when the manalevel is at the peak. For Shadowrun this would mean, that at the low mana level of the Sixth World all that is coming are indeed XP piñatas and only a few of them. The real problem though is Verjigorm. He has stats in the Horrors book because he can appear in Earthdawn. Now if the most powerful horror can manifest, then every other horror should be able to do so too. So if all horrors can exist at the Earthdawn mana level, where are they? Why has the Scourge ended and most of them have withdrawn?

Of course the Shadowrun mechanism has to explain, why the horrors never tried the bridge trick before. Granted without the Great Ghost Dance they might not have had the ability to make it happen this early in a cycle. But in Earthdawn maybe 200 years before the Scourge with the worlds much closer that wasn't an option? When the first horrors or their agents would have been aware of the efforts to build the kaers they didn't think to use the same technique to enter the world before the namegivers could seal themselves away?
Jaid
maybe the horrors *did* use a bridge.

except that instead of using it to get there earlier, they used it to stay there later.

remember, people left the kaers early because instead of the magic level continuing to drop, it stayed at a certain point. so, maybe the horrors didn't have agents around (perhaps the dragons were more thorough about eliminating horror agents back in the 4th world) until after the peak, but they had those agents work on a metaplanar bridge after the mana levels were dropping so that they could stick around.

(of course, it is entirely possible that the mana level staying at a certain point has been explained satisfactorily already and doesn't need a metaplanar bridge to justify its continued existence).

on a side note... those "XP piñatas" aren't all that weak. iirc, the invae and the shedim are examples of the weaker things that start showing up. sure, they aren't going to take down an entire kaer on their own, but they aren't exactly total chumps either.
JanessaVR
Last I checked it was the Therans who stabilized the mana level. The Heavenherds, Thera's top magicians, created the Monuments of Messias, 3 huge orichalcum pillars that placed a "lock" on the world's mana level. The idea was stop the falling mana level, and thus preserve the empire's dominance in the world (via their magical might) for all time, but to also lock it at a level below that which the Horrors needed to stay in the world - a "sweet spot" where the mana level wasn't too high or too low.

The problem was, their calculations were a bit off, and they locked it a bit too high. Some Horrors could still stick around - and thus you get the Earthdawn setting.
Jaid
soooo... basically, bridge to the metaplanes (increasing mana levels as a result), created by dupes/pawns/minions/slaves of the horrors can still easily work then.

because i mean, seriously, for something like that, you kinda want to *check* before you lock it in.

in fact, it really should have been blindingly obvious that they had it wrong, because everyone else in the world is using a magical device crafted based on information that the therans originally found to detect when the magic level is low enough for the horrors to GTFO, and everyone's magic level meter told them the magic level wasn't low enough. everyone knew the magic level that was safe, and they knew because the therans sold that knowledge to them, which means the therans bloody well knew.

and being that epically stupid about something that important and then doing nothing to fix it implies to me at least that it's more than just regular stupidity (don't get me wrong, people can be pretty dumb sometimes, but you need to be a really special kind of dumb to push the button on that years early and then not fix it). when you're *that* blinded by greed into doing something so monumentally stupid, it really sounds believable imo that there was a horror involved.
binarywraith
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jun 15 2016, 12:52 PM) *
If they've doubled that in 5th, well, I guess retreat into space Kaers is looking even better as a future option to hide from the Horrors (if you're using 5e).

Indeed. And there's always that might-have-been Mars colony from the Fourth Age rumor that pops up every now and again, mainly in the old books, where various people claim to have photos of old metahuman skeletons or rock carvings on Mars. Truthfully, I'm not really sure if there's any solid canon reference to using high-level magic to travel the solar system anywhere in the older SR or ED books. If anyone has a specific reference for such, please let me know.

Honestly, by the time the Horrors get back, humanity will be clear to bug out and nuke the place from orbit.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jun 18 2016, 12:06 AM) *
Honestly, by the time the Horrors get back, humanity will be clear to bug out and nuke the place from orbit.

And on that day, you put down Shadowrun: Xth Edition and pick up Eclipse Phase, and life is good.
lokii
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 18 2016, 03:14 AM) *
[..] so, maybe the horrors didn't have agents around (perhaps the dragons were more thorough about eliminating horror agents back in the 4th world) until after the peak, but they had those agents work on a metaplanar bridge after the mana levels were dropping so that they could stick around.
Not just agents, actual horrors started to appear hundreds of years before the Scourge began.

(Though I like the idea that the elves slayed the on-duty horror agent hunting great dragon during the Fifth World. wink.gif)

QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jun 18 2016, 03:30 AM) *
Last I checked it was the Therans who stabilized the mana level. The Heavenherds, Thera's top magicians, created the Monuments of Messias, 3 huge orichalcum pillars that placed a "lock" on the world's mana level.
At least that's one possibility given in the Theran Empire sourcebook for the purpose of the monuments (ingame by the way). But I think it's obvious that Theran involvement with stabilising the mana level has been at least considered to be The Truth™ by the developers.

QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jun 18 2016, 03:30 AM) *
The problem was, their calculations were a bit off, and they locked it a bit too high. Some Horrors could still stick around - and thus you get the Earthdawn setting.
Though I don't think there is a source for them miscalculating. You might be conflating that with the dating of the Scourge being off as described next.

QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 18 2016, 06:48 AM) *
in fact, it really should have been blindingly obvious that they had it wrong, because everyone else in the world is using a magical device crafted based on information that the therans originally found to detect when the magic level is low enough for the horrors to GTFO, and everyone's magic level meter told them the magic level wasn't low enough. everyone knew the magic level that was safe, and they knew because the therans sold that knowledge to them, which means the therans bloody well knew.
There is a different explanation though: The Therans are suspected to have given the wrong dates ("erred conservatively") for the end of the Scourge to their subjects, so that they would be able to take control of the world before anyone else. And Thera indeed reemerged more than a hundred years before the mana level stabilised. So while it probably wasn't a cakewalk they wouldn't have reopened if the most dangerous phase of the Scourge had not been over.

The further speculation on this (not sure about evidence for it) is that you cannot actually lock the mana level in. Mana goes out, that's a natural law. Can't be changed. So what the Therans do instead is to continously fill up the increasing mana deficit. And they siphon the necessary mana from the realm the horrors originate from. And that's why horrors still cross over.

But even if you go with the idea that they are able to lock the magic cycle. It could be that the magic to sustain the lock requires a certain mana level. Once you go below that point in the cycle you can no longer do it. So either they had to do it at a point where the horrors hadn't completely gone (JanessaVR's sweet spot). Or maybe the lock was indeed placed too early because the Therans were antsy about missing their only chance to accomplish this for the next 10,000 years. Or maybe them being arrogant bastards they thought well we need some access to horrors to study them or hunt them for sport or something.

Also one more thing regarding the ED versus SR theories about horrors accessing the world: The Earthdawn one is an ingame theory so it might simply be wrong. (Especially given the contradiction I pointed out.) Whereas in Shadowrun the horrors were actually about to arrive a few times and at least Ysrthgrathe was able to stick around.

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jun 18 2016, 07:06 AM) *
Nah, by that time the horrors will run the world's corporations themselves. And nobody will notice a difference. biggrin.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jun 17 2016, 08:28 PM) *
So if a "full-blown invasion" is actually possible at not even a century past the Awakening in the Sixth World...well, that's just unacceptable from a campaign setting management perspective

Why that? Creating a bridge is not something that might happen by accident if somebody reads aloud from a book he found in a cabin in the woods wink.gif
Stahlseele
No creating a bridge has a specific process attached to it that the azzies managed to successfully complete.´
Years ago by shadowrun timeline.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 19 2016, 12:43 PM) *
Why that? Creating a bridge is not something that might happen by accident if somebody reads aloud from a book he found in a cabin in the woods wink.gif

Heh. I am an Evil Dead fan, but if this is possible, then you need to just go ahead and completely ditch the canon campaign setting and replace it with an "Armageddon in the Sixth World" campaign instead. Do you really want to do that? This isn't a scenario that can exist alongside the standard canon world - by its very nature, it would replace it completely, as the Horrors poured forth and ate everyone. You don't get to do a lot of runs after you - and everyone who could hire you to do them - has already been eaten by a horde of demons from the netherworlds.
JanessaVR
@Jaid:

Well, the difference between the “bridge” at the site of the Great Ghost Dance and the Theran orichalcum pillars was that the GGD site was a localized effect while the Theran pillars generated a global effect. The mana spike at the GGD site was called a “bridge” was because it only raised the mana level at that particular location, so the Horrors could only cross over a narrow path across the “chasm” separating Earth from their deep metaplane at the current very early point in the mana cycle. But once they exited the terminus at the GGD site on Earth, then they could go wherever they pleased. The Therans kept the mana level raised across the entire planet, so any Horrors capable of surviving at the mana levels at that time could cross over anywhere they wished on the planet. Again, that any Horrors could leave the boundaries of any “spike points” early in the cycle and venture beyond them into the much lower mana regions (the rest of the world) and still survive is the point I disagree with.

Also, it was the dwarves of Throal who came up with the “magic meter” idea of the ball of True Earth suspended over a bowl of True Water, which they recorded in The Book of Tomorrow and distributed to their allies. The Theran idea was to basically give everyone a calendar and a “Do Not Open Until X-Mas” sticker for the doors to their kaer. As lokii has suggested, they very likely gave some rather conservative estimates on that calendar, so that they could come out first, reassert their dominance in the world, and be the ones going around knocking on the doors of all the kaers to tell everyone that all was ok now, and they could come out in safety – to resume their lives as Theran subjects.

@lokii:
QUOTE (lokii @ Jun 18 2016, 01:29 AM) *
At least that's one possibility given in the Theran Empire sourcebook for the purpose of the monuments (ingame by the way). But I think it's obvious that Theran involvement with stabilising the mana level has been at least considered to be The Truth™ by the developers.

Yes, this subject has required a lot of detective work on my part over a few years of searching (on and off). I still don’t own all of the Earthdawn books (though I’m waiting to see if DriveThruRPG is going to have a 4th of July sale this year to complete my collection), so I’ve had to put in a considerable amount of effort searching the web for analyses and then comparing those to canon sources. As much as I’d like to have a copy of “Everything Going on Behind the Scenes in Earthdawn: All Secrets Revealed!,” it doesn’t seem to have been published, and so I’ve had to piece things together from many, many sources and cross-check as much as I can. As you say, the Therans being responsible seems to have the most official developer support, so I consider that “Confirmed.”

QUOTE (lokii @ Jun 18 2016, 01:29 AM) *
Nah, by that time the horrors will run the world's corporations themselves. And nobody will notice a difference. biggrin.gif

LOL. Indeed, hyzmarca argued that very point 10 years ago here.

@Jaid and lokii:

Regarding the level the Therans stabilized the mana at, I think a basic look at their actions shows their purpose to be very self-evident. The fact that they locked it at very nearly the projected end of the Scourge speaks volumes for their intentions. If they were truly willing Horror collaborators, why not lock it at the very top of the mana cycle? That would have resulted in a true “Scourge Unending.” To quote Bill Cipher, “This party never stops! Time is dead and meaning has no meaning! Existence is upside-down and I reign supreme! Welcome, one and all, TO WEIRDMAGEDDON!!!

But they didn’t, they waited to do so until the Scourge was very nearly over. The only reasonable conclusion for this is that they wanted to preserve as much magic as possible in the world, but they were waiting to do so until the Horrors had gone home first (they kinda spoil the party). But they set the lock just a bit prematurely, and now we have some real speculation.

To quote Hanlon’s Razor, “Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.” I have an image in my head of a Heavenherd magician standing before a huge chalkboard of arcane calculations, and muttering “Darn it – forgot to carry the 2…” Chances are, “they done goofed.” They were locked inside The Great Dome of True Air and Fire surrounding the island of Thera, probably dependent on their own magical instruments to take readings on the world’s mana level and took an educated guess on when the Horrors had gone home. Maybe someone got impatient – being locked inside for a few centuries can give you one heck of a case of cabin fever. They locked it in, and…whoops!...jumped the gun just a bit there.

Now the counter-argument is as Jaid suggested – this was deliberate sabotage. I mean, really, these are Thera’s top magicians, very possibly the best magicians in the world, and are we really going to make the argument that they could make such an obvious mistake? Perhaps the Horrors did infiltrate the Heavenherds, but didn’t have enough pull to do something really obvious like have them lock the mana level at the very height of the cycle. But perhaps they could oh-so-subtly influence them to do it just a bit early, and so keep at least some of their kind still in the game for centuries to come.
Jaid
yeah, wasn't suggesting the horrors would have fully controlled the theran magicians, more just enough control to influence them, maybe even just make them overlook that 2 even though they all checked it over half a dozen times (because like i said, this is the sort of thing where you *really* want to make sure the horrors are gone before you lock in the power).

and if the magic meter was widely distributed, it seems really unlikely that the therans didn't have one themselves.
Mantis
So where are these orichalcum pillars anyway? I assume they still exist somewhere in the 6th world so does the ED books give a location? On Thera? (time to go diving I guess)
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Mantis @ Jun 19 2016, 07:37 PM) *
So where are these orichalcum pillars anyway? I assume they still exist somewhere in the 6th world so does the ED books give a location? On Thera? (time to go diving I guess)

I believe they exploded at the end of the Fourth Age. Thera is called "Atlantis" by clueless idiots in the Sixth Age, and the loss of magic at the end of the Fourth Age was the end of the Theran empire. It was rather like the literal fall of Netheril in the Forgotten Realms, as the Therans were also fond of levitating buildings.
Sengir
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jun 19 2016, 11:16 PM) *
Heh. I am an Evil Dead fan, but if this is possible, then you need to just go ahead and completely ditch the canon campaign setting and replace it with an "Armageddon in the Sixth World" campaign instead.

Sorry, but that's like saying "we can't have WMDs in the setting, otherwise you'd need to completely ditch the setting and play Twilight 2000". Just because an early Scourge, the Invae taking over the world (Invae-sion? biggrin.gif), or the corps declaring total war on each other are possible, none of these have to happen.
Stahlseele
One was in Aztlan. We have proof of that.
So no, they did not just explode. There are probably some more scattered around the world somewhere.
lokii
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jun 19 2016, 11:21 PM) *
But they didn’t, they waited to do so until the Scourge was very nearly over. The only reasonable conclusion for this is that they wanted to preserve as much magic as possible in the world, but they were waiting to do so until the Horrors had gone home first (they kinda spoil the party). But they set the lock just a bit prematurely, and now we have some real speculation.
As I said above I think its entirely possible that the Therans wanted to keep some horrors in the world. Anyway to get rid of any chance of reentry you'd probably have to wait a few hundred years more. (If at all doable in a manapositive phase given the idea of a bridge.) But really there are many possibilities. Scenarios like the speculation that the Therans are drawing mana from the horror's origin imply that the stabilised mana level comes with the horrors. Also they could have done the magical rituals for the lock at the height of the mana cycle where presumedly it had the highest chance of success, but there is some delay until the lock falls into place.

Of course it's also possible and as a narrative more interesting if the Therans didn't have full control of the process and the horrors (or even other parties) had a hand in how things shook out.

QUOTE (Mantis @ Jun 20 2016, 05:37 AM) *
The three pillars of orichalcum, the Monuments of Messias, were placed on the shore of the (pre-eruption) island of Santorini or Thera in the Aegean Sea. I don't think it is clear what happened to them. What does happen to orichalcum, when magic goes away?

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 20 2016, 10:50 AM) *
So no, they did not just explode. There are probably some more scattered around the world somewhere.
You mean the locus. I don't think that's the same thing.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 20 2016, 02:42 AM) *
the Invae taking over the world (Invae-sion? biggrin.gif),

Coming this Summer, a cult classic gets a 2070 reboot.

Invaesion of the Body Snatchers
Stahlseele
@lokii
big obsidian pillar type of thing that can be used to create a bridge for the horrors?
sounds locusi to me o.O
lokii
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 20 2016, 01:19 PM) *
@lokii
big obsidian pillar type of thing that can be used to create a bridge for the horrors?
sounds locusi to me o.O
The locus is a black stone with orichalcum veins not made of pure orichalcum as the pillars. And I was under the impression it is flat.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 20 2016, 01:50 AM) *

You're confusing some very different items. The locus found in Aztlan wasn't one of the 3 Theran orichalcum pillars. Thera corresponds to Santorini, and is on the other side of the world.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 20 2016, 04:17 AM) *
Coming this Summer, a cult classic gets a 2070 reboot.

Invaesion of the Body Snatchers

I heard it was quite the hit in Chicago. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012