Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Into the Chaos (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Gilga
Hi Guys,
Since Shadowgrid is dead - and even before it did it was awful. I was thinking to try and move the game here. Let's see how many of the Chaos guys we can move here through external communication methods.
Imladir
Most of us, I think?
This forum has been a bit unstable too in the past month, let's hope it doesn't crash too.

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
Good Idea,

I'll have to rebuild Kynos here

[ Spoiler ]
Gilga
Yes, we'll do the IC here as well.

Post your characters and I'll continue the plotline when we are ready.
Imladir
Chummer stubbornly refuses to reload my sheet. I'll have to make it again from scratch, humpf.
Good thing I had an html export. It'll still be a PITA though.
Gilga
Alright, I posted an IC - I did not remember all the shadow-grid posts so if I neglected someone please let me know.
Feel free to post - though we go slow to give the other players some time to notice us here.
Mercy
I put up a post and will wait a bit to see if anyone else posts in.
Jack_Spade
It takes awhile to get through the approval procedure of dumpshock.

I'm certain, Sovereign will be with us shortly wink.gif
Gilga
Some meta gaming, I'll let you interact with Nyx a bit before continuing. (and perhaps Mulcarn would be approved).

The Alliance would not let anyone in so that Nyx which is already with you can take the spotlight for a social scene. I think that it is better for us to base the next scene on a PC rather than on an NPC - not that Finestra is incapable.
Mulcarn
Sovereign Rebuilt

[ Spoiler ]
Gilga
Welcome wink.gif
Mulcarn
Gilga's House Rules

[ Spoiler ]
Mulcarn
Spending 14 Karma to add the Spirit Affinity: Fire Spirits quality to Sovereign.
Jack_Spade
In case it got lost with the SR Forum going down:
I spend 10 Karma on getting Trust Fund I and 8 Karma to raise Perception from 1 to 3 (Jack of all Trades cost reduction included)
Mulcarn
In case Dumpshock dies as well, I've created a Skype chat for external communication purposes. Hopefully the others sees this.

https://join.skype.com/OierXTXAERyI
Imladir
The forum should be migrated this week-end to a more robust platform, so hopefully once it's done it'll be ok.
Stuttrboy
Oh hey guys. I can actually post with this again instead of relying on Ennui
Stuttrboy
Shiba Ayato

[ Spoiler ]

Kernel

[ Spoiler ]
Mulcarn
Welcome back. We thought we lost you guys forever. All we are missing now is Wheely.
Stuttrboy
I haven't been able to get onto the other site since my dad went into the hospital. He just got his internet hook up and I saw it was down.
Imladir
Yup, it got hacked 10 or so days ago.
Odds are the database was wiped (or at least corrupted). And given Catalyst's stellar record as far as the forum is concerned... If it comes back one day, I wouldn't be surprised if it were completely empty.
Jack_Spade
@Imladir

I think we are kinda waiting for your character to give a reply so we can start the negotiations
Imladir
Oh, I was waiting for someone to meet me myself...
Mulcarn
Here is the Weather Control rolls. Magic + Willpower (10, 30 minutes).

Weather Control: 15d6t5 5
Weather Control: 15d6t5 8

In one hour the water spirit will have created a thunderstorm directly above the facility.
Gilga
In case you are interested about the Alliance, a knowledge check (Seattle?) or a short matrix search will reveal that they are an association of small farms that could not compete with the agricultural giants on their own. Instead of being slowly bought off they decided to establish a small cooperation together which includes the entire supply chain. Each business owner has a voice in this organization and their voting power is related to the amount of taxes they pay. They are mediocrely successful, enough to survive - but profit very little compared to their size. They have recently resisted a hostile takeover by Stuffer Shack.

Their specialty is expensive organic vegetables and luxury items such as meat. They are known for their advanced magical techniques that provide them a competitive edge but also prevents them from growing very large due to the dependence on a limited resource. They have the largest fully automated drone fleet in the city which includes several thousand operational security drones and a larger number of farming drones.

On the political side, they are the loudest lobbyists of the green political party whose agenda is a pollution free city. Conspiracy theorists link them to several radical eco -terrorist groups but there is little hard evidence for that. It could just as well be the propaganda machine of much larger cooperations. Their most notable actions include decontaminating large portions of Seattle's diaspora with ritual magic twice a year during equinox days. Although these events practice ritual magic most of the participants are clearly mundane.

Their leader is Rebeca Winter which established the alliance nearly 20 years ago. Her title is the first speaker. She does not hold an official leadership position or even a very large voting power. She is however well connected and the majority of voters often mimic her. Her case is one of the only examples of a person rising from poverty to a position of extensive wealth and power.
Mulcarn
Area Knowledge: Seattle: 9d6t5 5

I take it Sovereign knows everything you just mentioned about them.

To this date my Orokos rolls are always all over the place. I either get really good rolls or really bad rolls. Averages mean nothing to this character.
Kuirem
Finally I'm here, ready for duty! Damn incompatible email address sarcastic.gif

Here is the character sheet:

[ Spoiler ]

Gilga
QUOTE (Gilga @ Jun 15 2017, 06:44 AM) *
In case you are interested about the Alliance, a knowledge check (Seattle?) or a short matrix search will reveal that they are an association of small farms that could not compete with the agricultural giants on their own. Instead of being slowly bought off they decided to establish a small cooperation together which includes the entire supply chain. Each business owner has a voice in this organization and their voting power is related to the amount of taxes they pay. They are mediocrely successful, enough to survive - but profit very little compared to their size. They have recently resisted a hostile takeover by Stuffer Shack.

Their specialty is expensive organic vegetables and luxury items such as meat. They are known for their advanced magical techniques that provide them a competitive edge but also prevents them from growing very large due to the dependence on a limited resource. They have the largest fully automated drone fleet in the city which includes several thousand operational security drones and a larger number of farming drones.

On the political side, they are the loudest lobbyists of the green political party whose agenda is a pollution free city. Conspiracy theorists link them to several radical eco -terrorist groups but there is little hard evidence for that. It could just as well be the propaganda machine of much larger corporations. Their most notable actions include decontaminating large portions of Seattle's diaspora with ritual magic twice a year during equinox days. Although these events practice ritual magic most of the participants are clearly mundane.

Their leader is Rebeca Winter which established the alliance nearly 20 years ago. Her title is the first speaker. She does not hold an official leadership position or even a very large voting power. She is however well connected and the majority of voters often mimic her. Her case is one of the only examples of a person rising from poverty to a position of extensive wealth and power.

Kuirem - here is the information I gave you on the alliance assume that Wheely knows it all.
if you have more specific things you would like to investigate let me know.
Gilga
Just heads up that we're having a baby so tomorrow I am not here for an undefined amount of time, but at least few days. Will go back to posting once we're home.

Imladir
Well, congratulations then.
Gilga
Congrat me, after all goes well but thanks;)
Mulcarn
Happy to hear Gilga! smile.gif Likewise I've too been away and will get back to IC posting soon.
Gilga
Hi Guys,

just for update we have a beautiful baby boy and as I am on maternity leave (yes even the husband can take some time off) there is plenty of time for SR.

So if you are waiting on me for something just shout.

Jack_Spade
I think we are waiting for Imladir to act...
Imladir
Uh? I was waiting too...
Kuirem
@Mercy I think it's worth to point out that Wheely is in the room with Simone since he is helping her with the repair, the downside of having only 2 Charisma is that people tend to forget about you I guess embarrassed.gif
Jack_Spade
Stealth Check for Kynos:

Stealth: 12d6t5 4
Gilga
Perception for Ben:
Perception (auditory): 13d6t5 5. Ben's kin senses caught Kynos lurking but he did not do anything to indicate that he knows about it.
Mercy
@Kuirem I had not forgotten you but I had thought you might still be out foraging for parts.
Gilga
Negotiation: 12d6t5 5
so Nyx cannot sweeten the deal...
Imladir
I could always use Edge, no? I don't think I used any yet and with 9 as a social limit, I have some room for improvement.
Gilga
Yes you can, but we will need to edit if you do. She cannot 'win the negotiations' and just take the contract to her boss. She has to read it and start arguing about things. Like the prices of drones and life insurances that were outsourced to a third firm so the Allaince was trying to get paid double and things like that. Feel free to makeup details to give you an edge in negotiations if you win.
Imladir
The "I'll need to consult my employers" was mainly said to give her some time. While she will of course consult, it also allows her to get ideas of what to say/had. Maybe I'll do the Edge part at that point?
Gilga
sure go for it.
Imladir
Negotiation (Edge): 10d6t5 1
I think the dice don't want me to get a nice result here...

Of course, with Maxwell's "speech", it doesn't really matter anyway. I always thought you had to be manifested to hear anything though.
Gilga
Agreed on the speech - I do not know exactly how astral hearing works. I'll let you keep the edge though because Ben does believe that he went the extra mile to start the relationship on positive terms and being insulted/or intimidated I do not see him negotiating a legal agreement. (so if you cannot really succeed no wasted edge).

The way I read the story, you should probably relay the information to your employer that should decide if they take the contract or not. Once you chose to be loyal it is really Valentina's call. Also, while there are aggressive moves that can improve your deal (e.g. a rescue operation if you dare to leave the building under staffed), the Alliance are your buissness partners at the end of the day. So if you muddy the water too much then it will be very difficult for Eggs! to succeed and for you to get decent reward for your mission. (but feel free to act irrational if you feel that these is what your characters would do).

Mulcarn
Astral forms have no problem 'seeing' or 'hearing' people on the physical it's more like the opposite really. That's one of the many reasons why they make for such great scouts and spies. And why corporate facilities and other similar sites are warded as a precautionary against such intrusions. Unless a spirit/mage manifests they can't be seen or heard. Which creates a psychic connection for nearby living beings to perceive. Of course this is not to be confused with materialization which is a slightly different matter.

As for the "irrational speech" and why it's because Ben wasn't really budging with Nyx's bartering methods. The next best options are a combination of scare tactics and death threats. And if they continue to refuse then there's always scorched earth or another mutually assured destruction plan. If we can't have or sell the place or even give it to Valentina then what's the point in preserving it? We lose nothing by destroying everything. Valentina loses nothing if we destroy everything. The Alliance on the other hand will lose millions if it all goes up in flames at the end of the day.
Gilga
As for the mutually assured destruction - at the end of the day:
They will have to buy more expensive insurance for their equipment and people for the next year. You will damage them but it is only your own assured destruction not theirs. (if you do not legally takeover Eggs! then the entire police force is going to soon be on their side and as formidable as you are... you are several criminals not an army.) You can defeat an elite security unit - but not a city scale police force.
So to be clear, open conflict with a small cooperation does not seems to me as a genuine option for you and I do not think that you can intimidate the Alliance with that. Even if you do claim Eggs! such behavior will cause you to lose it, as no lawyer is going to be able to justify such a crusade so Eggs is liable to all the damage you cause.

Now you can also play the legal game, but note that the theme of this game. Powerful corporations rule and the system is rigged in their favor. So no AAA or AA and so forth but in this world they are richer than you. If you do not take out Eggs! then they are insured against terrorist attacks. Otherwise, they can simply sue Eggs! for all the damages you cause and then when Finnegans cannot pay, just take their buissness as compensation. My point is, Alliance has better lawyers than Valentina's organization which is not far from economic bankruptcy.

It is possible that the Alliance is playing the strong play and provoking notorious runners and then negotiating directly with said runners so that the runners will 'lose it' and go nuclear on them. Such a reaction is unlikely if they invited Valentina to negotiate and this branch starts a series of events that might as well end with a new company in their portfolio. Which also means that they do not suffer the bad publicity of having the Mafia as buissness partners.

Because as long as you 'win' your run, then Alliance can just sue Eggs! for all the massive damages you caused them. When the broke Finnegans cannot pay - the Alliance simply takes Eggs! (which they did not own before).

Just some ideas for the buissness/strategy savvy of you guys. Your characters need some relevant knowledge skills to come up with these thoughts, but I wanted you to have them as ooc to perhaps explain some of the moves you have seen in action.
Imladir
Seeing and hearing when manifested, sure, I believe that without trouble. But hearing when you're not? Seems way overpowered to be true.
Kuirem
From the CRB :

QUOTE (p.312)
Things that exist only on the material plane can be seen and heard from the astral, but they are blurred and muted as the emotional context of people and things registers more than physical properties of light and sound

QUOTE (p.314)
Manifesting is a psychic effect that lets you make yourself visible and audible on the physical plane through an act of will

So sounds are muted, even if you consider that sounds can be heard you could hardly distinguish their meaning considering that even sight is quite limited, you can't even recognize someone face and you need Assensing to be able to recognize an orc from an elf (from my understanding).

Manifesting also doesn't seems to give access to extra senses either just that you can be seen/heard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012