Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [IP] Panzerknacker
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Volker
"Did you really just walk over totally uninvited when I specifically left your goddamn table and then tell me to meddle in my own affairs? I really don't believe that a university is the right place for you, Barbie doll. They do all that logic and cleverness stuff in there, y'know"
SquirrelDude
"Oh just fuck each other again, already."

Slob did his best to corral the team back to the table. "Now, more formally. bnc, this is Kazuya. Kazuya, this tiny thing with the acid breath is bnc. I said you'd like her, didn't I?"
Jack_Spade
Kazuya once again inclined his head and smiled a small smile: "A pleasure." There wasn't even a hint of irony in the reply - just a very composed and somber tone. Yet Kazuya did not offer to share any information about himself but was content to listen to Slobber's and his team's conversation.
Gilga
Yael shrugged "For someone that cannot fight, let alone take a punch you sure are looking for trouble. Like having others to be fighting your meaningless fights for ya, don't ya?" She seemed to try to restrain herself but then could not, saying quickly and passionately with fire in her eyes.

"You called me a whore to a complete stranger, and now you call me stupid. Not all of us went to school, learned shit - I worked very hard for things you consider trivial. It is not your place to judge where I should and should not be... I seem to have a terrible taste in people and you do not respect me at all. You treat me as nothing more than a receptive for your endless pool of negative emotions. Heck, it is not even me that you resent so much... You never met me. Yet you have a twisted image of me, an image you had before even talking to me. Do not talk to me again before you apologize. I worked with you because it was my big break, and I bent over and endured anything you dished on me. I needed the money! Work is over I and I never have to work with you again if I do not want to. We are equals now, got that Bianca? Now if you guys excuse me, I CAN walk around alone in the early morning in Redmond... and the skinny bitch just killed the buzz, so the best I can get out of this day is to take a bunch of painkillers and sleep my injuries... I am in no shape for a party and am going home now."
Volker
bnc rolls her eyes, slightly annoyed, then shakes hands with Kazuya. "Pleased, too, I guess. Sorry for the entry..."

When Anna totally goes off, bnc sighs, shuts her eyes for a moment to compose herself, then says in a quite calm voice:
"Look, I'm sorry. Maybe I was being a dick, or - do you even say this to girls?
Anyway. See, I don't know why but you really are looking for this. I lock myself up to go cry my innards out after I spilled my life's story to you, then walk over to the bar to leave my frustration over loosing the only friends I had with some random zero. Thing you do, you shove your ass right into my face and then tell me to stay out of your business.
When I then, despite this, say thank you and tell you that I'll behave, you start yelling and screaming. See, whenever I'm nice, you're being an insufferable asshole. When I'm being an asshole, you're nice. So why the fuck would I be nice to you? Just fight back for once, maybe then I can respect you. Me ever seen treat Slobbertooth like that? No? Because he'd just break my nose then shake my hand rather then not fighting back and then crying around.

Anyway, if you cut the drek out, I'll try and not fuck with you tonight. And here, take these."

bnc pulls out another of the silver patches from her pocket. "I made them for myself, they're good. Also, you fucked with someone for your job, so technically you are a whore. Sorry to say that."
SquirrelDude
"Pretty sure that the issue is she wants you to fuck with her, bnc."
Volker
bnc rolls her eyes in annoyance, but unwillingly cracks a smile nevertheless.
"Ugh, c'mon. You do know that for that quip the next round's on you. And no Hurlg."
SquirrelDude
"The next round is a glass of water. We still need to make sure you are able to walk into our transport. Hold off passing out until we're on the way there."
Gilga
Yael looked at bnc and then at Slob and said "Thank you for reminding me about that, it was very kind of you. I shouldn't have come in here. Go drink with your only friends and then go and self-destruct. Or not... I shouldn't care what you do afterward." With that she exited the bar and started walking the very familiar road to her parents' house. Figuring that if someone is to torment her, at least let it be family. The real family, the kind you are born in, not the kind that fails to appreciate you.
SquirrelDude
"Since when did Redmond such thin skinned pussies." Slob said to no on in particular and then called after her as she left.

"Don't worry Yael. When you return, it will still be funny that you chose to flirt with the psycho drug addict instead of the handsome single troll or the gracefully aging bachelor doctor."
Gilga
Yael lifted her hand and did the finger in response, without turning her back. She felt somewhat cleansed and she did need the rest, perhaps even a few days of rest before she recovers.

Volker
bnc shakes her head.
"See? That's the reason I never took her for a shadowrunner. You think her growing up in Redmond was a lie? Shoulda grown some calluses here..."
She sighs, feeling bad for having spoiled the evening anyway.

"So you wanna change? Where? And why? The Sex on the Beach here isn't too bad.
And who are you, anyway. I now know the name but what in Jesus' fuck are you doing here?"
Jack_Spade
Kazuya answered in a friendly but precise voice: "I am Kazuya and a friend and brother of Jo... Slobbertooth. He invited me over so I could meet you and take care of his dog for him. But it seems you have some issues to resolve before you undertake your... travels."
Gilga
Yael reached her house without a hitch, the sign on the door "The love shack of Ron and Ravit" with the names Larry and Yael added later with a pen. It was not much of a house, a combination of a small shack that was connected to a larger improvised plastic building to expend it when they needed more room. Clearly, that hood had no building inspectors as the house seemed like a hazard. She did not knock, but unlocked the door... thinking and not for the first time that there was little point in locking a house where one could just break one of the plastic walls, or in some cases move them away. The place was almost a tent. Though, they had little to steal, to begin with. Still... a lock was... a lock. Perhaps it was more of a message than an actual security - this place is OURS - not an abandoned building... we are not squatters - this is our home.
SquirrelDude
Slob pulled out his commlink when she left.

@Team> Yael knows we leave in a little under 4 hours, right? >
Gilga
She texted
>> Just wake me up before you leave to the airport. I need some shuteye. Kisses.

Walking quietly as a cat, she entered her parent's room to meet her mother Ravit, still sleeping. Ron (her father) was not there, perhaps still out on some illegal job. Some rich kid would be missing a car, tonight. She sneaked into bed and curled up next to her mother. The surprised mother hugged her and whispered: "Yael, my love" and without many questions just fall back asleep. They were not morning people, and Yael felt like she needed some warmth before she actually left the nest for the very first time. Sleep came easily to her, and she did not even bother to take the makeup off - uncharacteristically for her.
Volker
bnc, still standing next to Slobbertooth, answers to the text in meat-space. "Don't worry, I got her 'link. Can trace her anytime. Give her the time to cool off... Maybe she's wise and uses the patch I gave her. A real chiller."
She turny to Kazuya.
"So ... why did Slob want you to meet the team he's about to abandon? Taking a snapshot of the sinking ship?"
Jack_Spade
Kazuya took a long look at bnc before answering: "You are assuming quite a lot - both about me and about my brother. He never abandoned anyone ever and I don't think he'll do so now. He is taking his responsibilities serious - as do I. You might not know this, but I was the one who initially brought you into contact with Schmitt and also who made sure that he was solid. Likewise the Sunkid. You achieved quite a lot for a team that hadn't existed three years before.
Now you are going on a break - which I heartily recommend after what I've seen on the shadow channels.
My advice to you: Don't try to guilt Slobber into staying with you. He has done and given much for this team - and you for him. He has a right to explore the life of a retiree. You are young and human. You have all the time in the world compared to him. Sooner or later you'd have to lose him from your team anyway. You should enjoy the fact that this way you still can talk to him, ask for advice and help if you need it. Retired or not, I'm sure he'd be at your side the minute you asked."
Volker
"You're his friend, and I appreciate that you have his back. But he's wasting his life and betraying his totem, that's what he is. There's no more pathetic way to abandon Wolf than to stop fighting and give up your pack in the same move.
Sorry, I could let that pass for everyone else - Yael, Flatline, even Krestov - but Slob?
But rest assured. His head is so thick, whatever I say will leave him unswayed. So whether or not I try to persuade him, is basically a philosophical question. And as it is a question of philosophy, I can't stand down."
Jack_Spade
Kazuya shrugged: "So you intend to put pressure on a man who get's harder and more determined the more you pressure him? Good luck then."
SquirrelDude
"I'm like an ugly pale diamond, and probably less common than them, too"
Volker
"Kind of... I know that I won't sway him but I want him to know that he's wrong regardless"
Jack_Spade
"Seen like that: How do you know that you aren't doing the wrong thing? How many innocents died because of that last heist? Some would say taking care of and spending time with their parents while they are still alive is the right thing to do. I think I'd miss my brother also if he were to go abroad and never coming back. Is your pain more important then mine? What about Slobber's pain and that of his parents? Is finding peace worse then fighting a war?
And is no-one going to stop me reading fortune cookie koans to you?"

Kazuya smiled and winked at Slobber. He obviously enjoyed the verbal sparring, now that it had been established that it was more about being right then changing things.
SquirrelDude
Slob chuckled "I told you that you'd like her."
Volker
bnc sighs. "All right, let's just keep pretending we-
What? Who the drek's an innocent in here? You countin' Aztechnology soldiers?? Being a military force in service of the meanest megacorp on fucking Gaia is the very definition of being not an innocent. We didn't even geek the goddamn spider when we had the chance to. Or the security mage who willingly and consciously chose to side with bloody blood mages. The god-darn ants you tread on are more innocent than those mean bastards out there. And just to remind you: They died by the hands of the fucker they served. The one whose side they chose. So don't try to turn this on our hands. It's like blaming your ancestors for the thousands of Germans they killed when they finally at long last decided to stop Hitler from chewing up Jews. I'm sure, Sepp and Fritz were oh so innocent but at least they didn't die because Hitler just killed them when they were useless.
So please cut the whiny crap out and give me solid arguments. Ah, and by the way, Slob doesn't have parents. No one can substitute them just like this."
Jack_Spade
"That of course depends entirely on what you define as innocence. I am talking about the state of not-knowing and therefore not being able to comprehend the consequences of your actions. It's the reason why a child can be cruel to a fly by ripping out it's wings and still be an innocent. Can you presume that those people would have worked for a violent blood mage if they had known what he was capable off?
The news spoke of a team of local security providers, so likely people who were send by their superiors to work for whoever those deemed to be the right customer. There is little choice if your and your family's livelyhood depends on you keeping your job - especially if you don't have priviledged information like you do now.
True, all our actions have consequences and having incomplete information necessitates a certain guesswork on our part as to which action will be most beneficial and which will do more harm than the other.
Which brings me back to my prior question: With the information that Slobber has now and the experience he has gained: Which path will lead to the most good for the most people with the highest degree of certainty?

And to address your last point: There you are utterly and unquestionally wrong: My parents adopted him into our family. Genetics have very little to do with how much parents and children actually love and care for each other."

Kazuya replied, putting some extra emphasis on the last part.
Volker
"Genetics do matter. There's a lot of scientific evidence in this regard. Anyway.
That's the typical hyprocritic answer of some storybook hero who hangs virtues around his neck like medals, to show off to anyone who wants to see it. Do you not eat stuff that was farmed in South America and Africa, on land taken from those tried to make a living, starving them out? Do you not wear clothing crafted in child labour? You tread on children and foreigners without even acknowledging that they are the dirt upon which you walk and then lecture me that we shouldn't provoke a mind-broken blood mage into killing his own people because we try and destroy the very device with which he means to bring an end to the world. Are you completely nuts?
Also, I doubt that Wolf would want his adepts to follow the utilitarian way. Wolf is a fighter, not an ethics philosopher. He wants his followers to fight for what they believe in, side by side with their pack. They don't calculate whether or not it would not create more good to let the megacorps just rape as and deal with it. They bite as long as they have teeth."
SquirrelDude
Slob had enjoyed the conversation with a grin, but it disappeared when he heard bnc's accusations.

"bnc, I'll only ask this of you once once. Don't tell me how much I can love my family ever again."
Jack_Spade
"I refute that assertion, but I won't ask about your own parents. Just be honest to yourself and think about if this team is more of a family to you then those related by blood to you.
As to all that crap about child labor: I never said anything about absolutes, but about choices between better options. Your argument is a fallacy and you know it.
As for your interpretation of wolf: Neither you nor I were chosen by that totem, but Slobber and he chose each other. Presuming you know what his patron asks of him is just slightly... presumptious.
That said: What you describe is not what I know about wolves. What you describe is rabbies, a perverted form like War or Tohuwabohu. Always fighting, killing. When one battle is done already searching for the next.
The wolves that I know don't back down from a fight but they aren't seeking them out. Because wolves too want to survive. If you are looking for a holy crusader... well I actually don't know where you might find someone like that. Maybe ask around at a Humanis polyclub. I hear those will continue to bite until you knock out their teeths..."

Kazuya replied with infuriating calm - showing that he indeed wasn't genetically related to Slobber.
Volker
bnc, too, changed at some point. Until Kazuya compared her attitude to those of the Humanis, she remained calm, nodded to Slobbertooth apologetically, a short but heart-felt recognition that she had brushed a touchy subject. But then bnc stood, furiously, ready to throw a glass any second.
Then she composes herself, steadying her with both hands at the table - the drinks are finally hitting in. She throws back her head and breathes once, twice, before sitting back down.

"Well, I do. Maybe it was a mistake to become a shadowrunner after all. I guess, that's what you get when you come to country where everyone's the ancestor of those who claimed the land by use of force from those who invited them in. What culture can grow on such a country than one of egoism?
I'll get myself... oh, I still have a drink."

bnc takes a sip from her Sex on the Beach, then continues, whether or not Kazuya responded anything (wasted as she is, she probably doesn't even notice).

"Yes, I guess, it is presumptious. And that's why I'm doing it. Presumptious means, you're talking of something where others think they should know and you know. Galileo and Kopernikus had been called presumptuous, or Martin Luther, or those who started the French Revolution. Yeah, I haven't ever talked to Wolf but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion, or that my opinion is actually flawed. But I see, I'm wasting my time. This is not an exchange of arguments but of blows."
Jack_Spade
"Spoken like someone who is losing an argument. To quote one of Slobber's heroes: Opinions are like assholes: Everyone's got one. What counts is what you do - for yourself and for others. And You, girl, are an abuser. You abuse yourself and others. You don't seem to hold any regard for the happiness of others. Seeing the kind of drunk you are, likely not even for your own happiness.

Anyway, it was nice talking with you all. I think I'll take Zelda with me now. You'll probably want to freshen up before you fly. Take care."

Kazuya bowed slightly at the assembled team and hugged Slobber, whispering in his ear "Come back safe and whole - and don't mind me: Do what's best for you and your conscience."
SquirrelDude
Returned the hug with a smile. "You take care, too. I expect some of mom's daifuku when I get back."
Volker
"Ironic to hear this line from one who compared fighting for what's left worth fighting for it to the brutal assaulters of the very people who robbed your brother from his family in the first place. I helped revealing the truth about corrupt politicians when I was still a teenager. I was the only one who didn't back off when we found the Horror Beacon, and I destroyed it. I killed a bloodmage and never a single innocent. I saved lives, instead. What can you say of yourself?

You are a coward, Kazuya, who is afraid to show his 'asshole' because he might get judged for it. You judge and insult others on the basis of a five minutes talk, use killer phrases and unfitting analogies in discussions when you see that you run out of arguments and then pat yourself on the shoulder and try to stamp a big L on the other by using trivial platitudes. People like you are why things never change."

She glares at Kazuya, but forces herself to nod goodbye anyway, then turns to the ork.

"You should probably go, too, Slobbertooth."
SquirrelDude
"Sorry hun, but you're my ride back, and I'm yours. You're all stuck with me until land far away from here."
Volker
"Krestov's with me. And I guess you can take care of yourself."
SquirrelDude
"There's just one van, bnc. Besides, we need to get Anna. Can't stay here, and we can't put faith in the locally available transportation to get to the terminal on time."

Nontheless, Slobbertooth still moved to get up. "But, I do need to let Zelda know I'll see her later before she's with K for a few months. When that's done, we should finish our drinks and get back to make sure we've packed everything up, and figured what nova-hot gear we're taking with us and what we leave behind."
Volker
"Yeah sure, and our van doesn't have an autopilot system to come back here on its own. Slob, I'm a rigger, I believe I could manage to bring the car back here. But you're right, we'll leave soon. Now go to your brother."

bnc sits on her stool, contemplating for half a minute. Then she shoves away her almost untouched cocktail, strides over to the bar and orders a half-litre of soda water. She seeks out the man over whose head she spilled the beer, and sends him a message (hacking his commlink to unlock possible blocking settings).
<@Frank <sry abt earlier the beer thing i really want to apologize may i buy u a drink or sthg>>
SquirrelDude
You'd be a hell of a Rigger if you could get autopilot to work in Redmond

Slobber went out and said his temporary farewells to Zelda with some words and a hug. After Kazuya had departed, he took a look around before going back inside to herd the rest of the team. Coming to Redmond as a way to relax was strange enough, it was stranger to know that he wasn't going to come back to stay.

He pulled out his comm and sent a message to Anna. >@Yael> Sorry to cut a visit short, but we're about to head out, and you know better than to trust the local transport to get you to the terminal in one piece and on time>>.

Then he began looking at travel prices for a trip from Germany through Switzerland and then to Marseille as he returned inside to check on bnc and Krestov.

Jack_Spade
Frank replied: <<How the hell did you get my number? Anyway, ok, I accept your apology. I'm sorry I implied you were a prostitute.>>
bnc had no trouble to run a trace on the cheap link - it's owner was in the men's room, likely trying to get the cheap beer out of his sweater.
Gilga
blip... blip... blip... blip... blip... Yael felt the notifications pile up. "So quickly... Dammit, I don't even get to say goodbye."
She quietly left the bed, allowing her staying at home to feel as if it was a dream, took her things and left. She did not leave a note or an explanation. "I'll be back, someday... somehow." She promised herself.

>> Go *here* I'll be the pissed off yawning girl that looks like a raccoon. Hard to miss me.
Volker
The next couple hours bnc spends trying to get sober or at least clearer (yes, her way of doing that is consuming water, traces of mdma and a caffeine injection) and packing or repacking the stuff she needs for Europe. She pointedly avoids thinking about Kerstin, or Slon, or Krestov... She basically avoids thinking as good as she can.

Finally, she's ready to go, though she doesn't look any better than Yael.
Jack_Spade
The drive to the airport went by without incident. The team's rover found it's way into the longterm garage by itself and as promised, Mike waited for them at the freight section where the team was able to stash their more sensitive gear in a S-K diplomat box.
"Greetings from the boss. He woke up half an hour ago and feels like hell. Still, he is happy to be alive. He won't make this flight, but comes to Europe as soon as his condition permits.
Now, enough talk about hurt and feelings. You want your money. Here."

The old Ork gave each of the team an ebony certified cred stick.
"My fence was ready and waiting to get this stuff out of the country. We lost a bit to that freeze bomb, but the boss made up the difference with our remaining expense account. 800k for all survivors. Flatline declined his share in favor of a donation to his clinic. Poor guy, I hope he seeks some help.
Now the second part. Here are your new SINs, courtesy of S-K. You aren't corporate citizens, but you have some browny points with them. Try not to squander them.

So, any more questions? I've got to get back to the boss."
Volker
bnc checks the credstick, then nods satisfiedly, and stuffs it away.
"No, I'm good.
Yes, there's one thing. You've been awesome, Mike. Will you give me a hug before we leave?"

She cracks a weary smile and engages into a warm embrace, bevor she pats him on the shoulder, holds his gaze for another second, then turns.

Once she's got a bit of time, she begins studying her new identity in detail.

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]
SquirrelDude
"Will we be landing at a transit terminal? I'm not planning on staying in Germany."
Gilga
Yael frowned "Man was uncomfortable in his own skill even before this incident." While initially she mainly enjoyed tormenting the mage, she now felt compassionate about him, but could not possibly grasp how it felt to be forced to murder someone... and for a physician. To Mike, she said "Thank you, Mike. You make everything seems simple... Bossman is alright, thank him for giving me a chance.

To herself, she thought "I must be stronger than him, as strong as Zola... minus the psychopathic murdering part... I'll find my own path, but nobody is going to use me like that. She felt a bit sad, empty and having a 800k credstick did not change it. Money was alright, but she'd likely spend it on expensive education and physical training. Why retire where she enjoyed that kind of work so much because it is dangerous? So was growing up in Redmond, or being a witch. Yael liked danger.
Jack_Spade
Mike nodded assent to Anna and turned to Slobber:

"You have the 12 o'clock suborbital to Munich. From their you can make your way easily to any other country on the planet in maximum two trips. Your new SIN should let you go where ever you desire."

Mike gave a genuine smile to the four remaining team members: "Despite everything: It's been a pleasure to work with you lot. I've got to go to the boss and afterwards see my grand daughter for the first time in months again."

Gilga
"Munich... I wonder if they have a good university. Perhaps I can buy just fake a diploma and start masters." She said to herself.
Volker
“Not that I know of. What is it you'd like to study?
But I'm pretty sure you can go out there quite nicely...

So, where are you guys going after Munich?"
SquirrelDude
"If I tell you, you're just going to follow me there and keep complaining that I left."

"But, probably Marseille or Nice."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012