Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [IP] Panzerknacker
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Gilga
"I want to better learn how to protect me and my friends against magical threats, I felt powerless in our last encounter, and the other students gave me a false sense of security. "
Volker
"Then don't attend a uni. That's not what you do there. A university is a facility of academic research, not a formation camp for combat mages. Read some books, take a teacher, go to training grounds. You won't find what you seek in a university."
Gilga
She barely suppressed a laugh "The only powerful mage that I ever encountered out of academia is dead. There were some street mages, but none of them was someone I could look up to. Sure, if I find a person like Lavandora which is not a bloody asshole murderer, I'd give a lot to learn.

About Universities, you kind of idealize them. In theory, they are the places of independent research that you describe. In practice, they are factories for wage-slaves. Many degrees are tailored to what would help one find a job - rather than what is worth studying. The content is motivated by the needs of the big A's, as they invest a lot of money.

Long story short, my previous degree was basically a watered down bachelors degree with few courses such as magical theory and threats. Then, the rest of the time was focused on the practical aspects of spellcasting, conjuring, and alchemy. It felt like a cooperate assembly line aimed at plotting balanced wage-mages that can then later increase proficiency in a field of their choosing.

Though I was too poor to follow through... So instead I repeated the same courses again and again with teachers from different traditions. As I studied the same thing from multiple viewpoints, I took a little from each.
Basically, I just enjoyed being a student and did not think about it too much. In retrospect, I think that I developed beyond most of the students that limited themselves to a single tradition. Though, you would not believe how prohibitively expensive some courses were.

Books do not work very well for me. I need to be active and observe the mana with my own eyes to understand how to manipulate it myself. Books are abstract for me. Perhaps I am not smart enough for the hermetic approach to magic as I always struggled with it. I don't mind trying - I am sure that it has some useful techniques hidden in all these books. Perhaps I could use some courses in math and sciences and then it would make sense. "
Volker
bnc listens, but shows no intention of insisting on her point of view. At this point, even for bnc, academics don't have priority.
She only comments. "Universities absolutely don't seem to be your place. You're supposed to read a lot, you know."

For a while, she seems a bit reserved, following her own thoughts as they (try to) check in and board the plane.
Gilga
She sighed "Yes... Reading is difficult for me, especially when it is full of mathematical notations. It is not so bad though, there are parties and brilliant students and rich social life, good options for physical exercise and for healthy food... I know how to blend in without raising suspicion and I can usually find some people to study with me and explain the notations, or help with my homework."

She seemed distanced and then asked "Which flight is our own?"
Volker
bnc winces audibly and buries her face into her palm.
"Please, just ... just don't study. You've got so much money, can you just buy yourself a tutor or something?
I need to watch a video where kittens are tortured to death now.

We've still got almost an hour to wait. Just sit down, relax, and let me do the thinking.
You could learn German, you know?"

And have a lot of fun in Bavaria and Austria with that.
Gilga
Yael sighed "Not a terrible idea... I'll see if I can find interesting pickup lines in German... See if they work for me." and then she added "About the money... wouldn't last long. Money is for smart people like Slob that invest and shit. You're just going to buy a fancier deck... something with naked guys or something... You really think that I can buy a tutor? I mean most of them are kind of occupied in real jobs and everything..."
Volker
"Sure, I can show you some ... Let's see. "Andere schlucken einfach nur. Ich gurgle" could go nicely indeed. It roughly translates to: "Other only dance. I rock!"
With your accent, you'll drive them nuts!

You know, if they are kind of occupied in real jobs, that's what you're looking for. Getting money to train someone in magic is a job. So, yeah, that's how money works, sweet-butt."
Gilga
She repeated slowly "Andere schlucken einfach nur. Ich gurgle"

"Well... Kind of, the fact that they have real jobs often means that they cannot just tutor me, unless I join the same cooperation. Perhaps if they are a bit dirty and greedy. I am so excited that we get to travel! How long have you been in Seattle? Do you miss your home country?"
Volker
bnc helps her with the pronunciation. "You have to work on gurgle, but with your accent, the guys will chase after you, promise." She winks.

I doubt you will want some mage to train you 40 hours a week, so why not just take lessons? And you can always look for retired shadowrunners who will gladly teach youngsters for a bit of money that comes without much danger."[/color]
Gilga
"Or I have a spell for that... Ich gurgle!" she laughs softly. She then replies "... Not to bad, but do you know anyone like that? I mean, I don't even have these connections in Seattle, let alone in Munich. Think of why I ended up in university, to begin with... You can imagine that it was not easy for someone like me. "
Volker
"I, uhm, no ... that is, I do know a mage who might have the connections but ... I don't really want to contact that specific one...
He, uh, knows too much. That is, too many ... or, let's say, the wrong people. So, no, sorry, but I think I can help you anyway. We'll dig someone out, promise."
Gilga
"Fine, no biggie really. I am just excited to be out of the city. I mean we are not in the air yet and I already think what I am going to do there.
Volker
bnc cracks a grin. "Me too ... there's all the bucks and all the possibilities...
Once we're on the plane, I'm gonna browse the whole god-damn matrix for augments."
bnc winks at her.
Gilga
Yael yawns and says "I always wanted to get a sleep regulator... If money was no restriction, what would you make yourself into?"
Volker
"Money is hardly a restriction anymore ... essence is, however. A sleep regulator is definitely on my list. A toxin extractor as well... Apart from this ... I'll have a look into cultivated bodyware, nanotechnology and DNA modifications. I want to be in control of how my brain wires, of my hormons and transmitters. I would optimize by whole nervous system. What nature spit out is admirable, but science can do wondrous things.
Oh, and I think I'll get rid of my good ole Gitti. The deck served me well, but I think for half a million bucks, I'll get something super-fast.
Well, there's one wish that might exceed my financial potential. I would have a humanoid drone that is super-fast and super-strong, then Jump In and run parcours. That would be friggin' awesome.
Jeez, do you think I could actually afford such a thing. That would be... would you shut up for an hour or so? I need to do some research, honey!"

bnc digs into the matrix, hardly paying attention to Anna's response, a wide grin on her lips.
Gilga
Yael does not bother answering as bnc was out in her own world. She seats down in the waiting hall for the plane, she listens to some music and astrally perceives the people that come and go, practice makes perfect. For each, she invents a story in her mind that satisfies their emotional state. Then she observes bnc's aura and wonders how much more can she take. Quickly her mind becomes distracted with many thoughts and remains immersed in these thoughts until boarding time, or until someone talks to her. In any case, she'll quickly jump and stop assensing the world. Feeling a bit disoriented.

(Just some random thoughts - read if you like.)
[ Spoiler ]
Volker
It took bnc almost an hour and despite her words, she almost missed the plane.
"Drek! We gotta go! Where the drek are Special K and Slob? They're s'posed to be here for at least half an hour or so!"
And I didn't notice cuz I missed that my closest friends haven't shown up in favor of looking up how to spand several thousand bucks into the most awesomest butler.
"Slob? Krestov? Where are you? The frigging plane's leaving! Hurry the fuck up, right dammit now!"

bnc quickly grabs her stuff. "Quick, or we'll miss it, too!", she urges her, puffing heavily, as she runs to the plane.

[ Spoiler ]
Gilga
Thron from a dream Anna rushes with bnc to the plane. "Perhaps they are too trog to pass security without a hitch...?" She suggested and hurried to her seat.
Jack_Spade
No answer came from the two runner's com and a quick matrix search showed, that the links both were offline or at least didn't have matrix connection. Still, if they missed this sub-orbital, they could take the next one just six hours later...
The two human lady runners had been given a rather quick frisk - quite likely that Krestov and Slobber had to endure a much more intensive and intrusive search, considering their phenotype.

Still, there was no time to muse about that: The Suborbital Ramjet took off and the awesome acceleration pressed the passengers into their seats. A flight that would have taken 50 years ago over half a day would be reduced to a mere 4 hours. As America dropped away below them, they could make out through AR the enclave of Seattle sticking out from among the tribal lands, getting smaller and smaller until the clouds took it away.

There was a little ping and the automatic harnesses opened up again to allow the passengers a bit of movement.
Gilga
[ Spoiler ]
Volker
bnc frantically tries to reach every commlink and burner link anyone of those ever possessed, calls Gerhardt and Mike (on a secure line, bien sure) and even considers hacking airport security, but then thinks better.

"We can't go on the suborb without them. What if they need our help? Goddammit!"
Gilga
Yael replied in a stable and relaxed voice as to not invoke suspicion "Sweetie, I understand that you are worried. The likely explanation is that they are simply delayed for being dangerous trogs in a highly secure location. If something worse happened it is highly unlikely that the shit wave simply missed us. We weren't exactly hiding and were barely aware of the surrounding. However, if you go in their rescue you will make things worse and perhaps even get arrested. Then who knows what would surface... Please come on the flight with me, I do not want to worry about you too."
Jack_Spade
They had missed the flight.

Gerhardt returned the call at once:
<<What's going on? You know that we are supposed to keep radio silence right now.>>
After hearing about Slobber and Krestov he replied:
<<Whatever you do, don't try to hack the airport host. They have some of the meanest IC you can imagine. The identities for Krestov and Slobbertooth are watertight, but if they were "randomly" selected for a more intensive questioning I'm sure they both can manage. The Orc Underground is very politically active right now and tensions are running high. People looking like those two are automatically under suspicion. If there is a hack detected trying to free them, it will land them in very deep trouble, because then someone might look too deep into their SIN. Even the best fakes can take you only so far.
... Wait a second. They have been let go, but instead of the Suborb they got put into a conventional flight to Europe. They are taking off as we speak.>>

Only a second later, Krestov returned bnc's calls:
<<Sorry, Matjuska, got delayed in security. Slobber made bad joke. We got put in isolation and missed your flight. Will travel old fashioned plane. At least were upgraded to first class. Enjoy your flight.>>
Volker
Assured bnc sighs audibly, leaning back into her seat and relaxing.

"Okay, Anna, you win. You were being rational and I was not."

bnc sighs again.

"At least they're safe...
Okay, sweet bun ... let's work on your "ch". It's difficult but "Ich" is such an important word. It's our "I", you the guys should at least feel you attempt to do it right.
Now, listen..."

[ Spoiler ]
Gilga
The acceleration was exciting, and Yael had to admit that she was nervous and afraid. She did not let it show, but she never imagined herself on a suborbital before. Strangely, it was more terrifying than the Blood mage... but it was over quickly and she thought that she could get used to it. Then, she looked through the window and watched her entire world becomes no more than a point and then vanishes...

Yael was worried that being delayed at the airport could mean being arrested as news of their action would be published. She thought: "I wonder if Munich had an agreement with the UCAS."... Then she realized that she did not even know which political power controlled that city... She thought " is it Europe? Germany? Austria? Does it matter? Even if I knew I would not know the answer. " Then came the realization "We may be arrested as soon as we land... Delivered back to the UCAS for the trail, or something terrible" She sighed and felt frustration at how little she knew about simple things such as geography, or politics or about the law... She then decided that it was better to put on a smile and act carelessly as there was little she could do about it.

[ Spoiler ]
Volker
[ Spoiler ]

bnc sat in silence for at least two hours, submerged in virtual reality. Though Anna could not see what she was doing online, her mood, however, visibly brightens up. Her facial expression not only relaxes, but also displays glee.
Finally, she blinks and stirs. She looks to the side, where Anna sits. Out of nothing, she says:
"I think I have to apologize. I bullied you, and I'm sorry. Stop - no response. Just accept it, shut up and don't say nothing. I won't say it again, but that doesn't mean, I'm not serious. Just no hearty-girly talk, or I'll puke all over your pretty head. Wakata?"
Gilga
Yael jumps a bit as she takes her attention from the trid she was watching. She was struggling to comprehend and was silent for a moment. "Thanks, Bianca, I appreciate it. It ended up good for me as I am alive and got the money." winking she adds "...and the girl." .... "So what are you going to buy? "
Volker
bnc grins, but is also happy that Yael doesn't stretch the joke.

"One thing: For sure I'm gonna buy a hell of a new deck. It's gonna be fucking super-fast. I'm not sure yet, which one, but I guess the Cyber-5 would be awesome. I'm checking blogs, however, as some people are apparently displeased. Oh, and have you ever heard of skillwires and jacks? I'm really, really considering implanting one of those...
And I still have to figure out how I can get drugs out of my system faster."
Gilga
"Nephritic screen of course... I'd buy one if I was not awakened. They are also great for your general health and you might even be able to enjoy food again. It is on my bucket list along with a sleep regulator, hard to avoid toxins in this world. Skill-wires are good but don't go hard-wires like the common ganger... Take the more flexible and expensive treatment, it'll let you choose your own skills when you need them. E.g. you can download kong-fu soft on the spot if you need it... Though you are still going to punch like a girl. " For an awakened that would never touch augmentations she sure has read the brochures of whatever the clinics had to offer, and was even knowledgeable at prices and such.
Volker
"You sure do know a lot about augmentations. I wouldn't have thought you would.
Sure, nephritic screen does sound amazing, only - I don't want it to inhibit my volitional drug usage. I need something I can turn off and on. I want to use drugs and get rid of them when I'm done. I want to be in control of my system. I'm considering a toxin extractor, but I still have to look up whether or not they actually work the way I want them to. But yeah, the sleep regulator definitely is on the menu.
No, I didn't mean a hard-wired one ... I looked it up! Singularity offers basically every skillsoft there is for a monthly fee. Even if I only take the basic stuff, that would do the trick in most cases. Once I have a basis to build upon, I can search and figure out the rest by myself. But think of that: read, write and speak every language, know every field of academics ... just like that. It just ... it just ... it's so tempting. What do you think? Wouldn't that be frigging amazing?"
Gilga
"Think a young girl, ten... perhaps twelve no more. Old enough to steal, or to play the guitar so that people give me money. Way too fragile to keep that money once I was back in Redmond. My dad that should have taught me was imprisoned these years and my no use brother was way to cowered to stand up for me. With nobody to back me up, I lost anything that I could not stash well enough. Even getting my first pistol was life-changing as it reduced the amount of bulldrek I needed to endure."
Volker
bnc looked a tad unsecure. "Uhm, yes, that was quite an abrupt change of topic. Well, you can now afford a well-guarded house where you can store the meanest and most expensive weapons there are plus a bodyguard who wields it for you if you wish. That's 'fuck you, life' on dope, isn't it?"
Gilga
"Well... I happened to belong to the team I feared and hated my entire life. Watched everyone that finds up suddenly looking at me differently. Never truly comfortable with me... Asking dumb questions like can I do this and that. Or for dumb favors and people are certain that I can do anything. People I knew, that liked me started blaming me their misfortunes. As if I somehow affected their fate. I had to get away from that world, I suddenly did not belong there. Part of the reason why I enjoyed university so much. I still did not belong, but people did not look at me so funny... I was around many other awakened people.

... As much as living with a deliciously augmented bodyguard is the dream... It is a fake sense of security, depend too much on something and it becomes your downfall. Trust me, it is easy for me to try and solve all my problems with mojo - but even that is a trap. You know... even a bank vault is not safe when someone wants to get you.

... My new self, Anna Black is into arcane security. So perhaps you can hire me now that you are such a rich shmuck. I accept payment in bank transfers, credsticks, and blowjobs. She smirks and then adds "I don't plan a lifestyle that screams money... I am thinking something comfortable, but in line with my profession which is not exactly nobility."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012