Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC New Beginnings DAWN
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
pbangarth
"I dunno. If I recall, any time a spellcaster goes down for the count, any spirit he had called just buggers off. Hmmm. Or sometimes they go berserk and attack everyone there till there's no one left to attack, and then bugger off. Maybe that has something to do with it? I'll take a close look at the image you have."

Torley closely examines the image for any clue that might help.

[ Spoiler ]
Crossbow
The biggest problem for Torley is he really has very little idea what he is looking for in the pictures. He doesn't really know anything about Magic, he didn't even understand that his own abilities were magical in nature until after he woke up on the mountain. That said he can read body language, even when the body has rotted away to a skeleton. This mage had died in agony, some kind of slow cardio pulminary affliction.

The pictures of the circle also showed some very strange inconsistencies in pattern, and what little Torley did know about magic, hermetic ritual summoning is about CLEAR PRECISE PATTERNS.

This didn't look like that at all.
pbangarth
Torley scratches his head for a moment as he peers at the image. "I'm drawing some conclusions here from what little I know, but it looks like the mage took a heart attack or something just as he was summoning the spirit. The markings are all screwed up, rather than clean and orderly. Maybe that affected the spirit's nature as it came? "

"Oh. You mentioned something about a recipe. Maybe the formula the mage was using got perverted. Maybe that formula is what your little buddy was concerned about. "
Necrogigas
"Heart attack had been my guess too. Little Buddy was adamant that the recipe he was looking for was in the kitchen. He also claimed he couldn't move away from the location. We tore that place apart, came up with a hardcover cookbook."

He turned to Lil' Homie, "Do any of the markings in the, assumed, summoming circle mean anything to you? Anything of cultural or symbolic significance?"
Crossbow
Lil Homie will quickly shake his head, the skeleton picture freaking the kid out.
farothel
"Something is indeed off," Sammy said, "something broken, but I'm not sure what. Spirits are not my forte."
She has a look at the pictures that were taken, trying to find anything there.

magical theory: 6d6t5 2
Necrogigas
With his hopes of sandbagging the mages at a dead-end, he turned his attention to the spirit. He found it odd that the mages had immediately started analyzing him like a lab specimen rather than talking to him. He asked, "Can you explain your summoning and your task? The mages think something went weird with it all."
Crossbow
LBD thinks about it for a second, "The one who summoned pulled me from...where I was? Then he said to go the kitchen in Uzochi Oluleye's compund and get the magical REE-CI-PEE and not to come back until I had it. But he didn't really say it that way."
pbangarth
Torley chimes in, "So, how did he say it, exactly?"
Crossbow
LBD put his hand on his chest and pointed at Torley with the other shakily, "Go...to....the UZOCHI...compound.....kitch-...-en..and......get.....the...SECRET....*wheeze*..REE...CI...PEE...for the....ma-...-gical....heart...soup!!!........Don't....leave....that....kitchen...un-...-til....you...HAVE IT!!..........GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

(OOC Everyone can make a Willpower[2] check as the little spirit's act is so intense you actually want to go to the kitchen yourself. Magical defenses apply)
pbangarth
Torley feels the pressure of the little spirit's need and almost wants to run through the door to get to the compound. He also wants to live. Which desire wins?

[ Spoiler ]

Torley really does not want to go.
Necrogigas
O'Connor's eyes glazed over as he stood up, "That definitely wasn't in the cookbook we found. We should head back and tear the place apart."

[ Spoiler ]
farothel
Sammy was still looking at the pictures, trying to wrap her head around this summoning, so she didn't hear everything the spirit said, but she did manage to resist. She did notice the magic behind the command and the fact that O'Connor stood up.
"Maybe, but lets plan about it first," she said. She had gotten a bit curious about what the guy had been looking for to actually pour his life force into a spirit so powerful. But now she had to take O'Connor out of the magical compulsion, or at least stall him until it wore off on its own.
"There's still people looking for us, so if you don't want to be ripped to pieces before you ever got near the place, we best make a plan first."

willpower: 4d6t5 2
Crossbow
Jane, or Frosty if you prefer, is unaffected by LBD's magic. (Of course) She grabs Lil Homie, who was on his way out the door. Like Torley's Commanding Voice the effects of the speech are temporary, and the two affected quickly realize the truth in what Starlet says.

"What cookbook are you talking about?" she says to Bullet Storm, to which LBD pipes up and pulls said cookbook from...nowhere.

"This one! I grabbed it in case we meet my real summoner, since he had skin and hair and stuff." he hands the book to Torley.
pbangarth
Torley takes the book gingerly. "Er, thanks." He promptly hands it to Jane. "Here, you figure it out."
Necrogigas
O'Connor shook his head to clear the last of the magical compulsion. He nodded to Starlet and Frosty in thanks. He went to make sure that Lil' Homie was also back in control of himself. He was unsure if children were more deeply affected by such magics, "Well that just happened, you good?"

He turned towards Little Buddy and chided gently, "You shouldn't use magic on friends without their permission. With there being an exception for healing magic in an emergency. " He pulled out his commlink and started looking up educational videos to teach the spirit about time, mortality, and decomposition. Clearly, the imp needed the lessons if he couldn't connect the corpse to the summoner, even after he had explained it to the little guy.

While searching, he explained to the group, "Little Buddy told me he was at the compound kitchen searching for a recipe. He didn't mention this heart soup until just know. It was apparent that the summoner and spirit had a major miscommunication. I thought the summoner was looking for some kind of codebook. So we grabbed a bunch of other materials to solve the puzzle. It was after Little Buddy knocked me out and teleported us away that the timeframe of events became clear."
farothel
Sammy moved to Jane to have a look at the book. While she was sure the other mage was a lot more knowledgeable about these things, she wouldn't pass the opportunity to learn more about the ways of magic.
Crossbow
Jane has opened the book. She turns to the table of contents, then snaps the book shut, shoves it into Starlet's chest and a couple of steps away, her back to the group.

Starlet tries to find the same page and tries to find what struck the Johnson much. She scans the page, looking for something to account for the reaction. As she double checks what she sees, in her peripheral vision Jane is starting to shake with mad laughter, "Oh, that poor fragger..."

There it is on the page, clear as day.

REAL TEXAS CHILI FOR THE BODY......25
CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE HEART.........27
BRUNSWICK STEW FOR THE SOUL......29
Necrogigas
O'Connor's interest is peaked. He calls to Frosty, "So do we have a diffinitive answer on this summoner's deal? This whole time, I've been going back and forth on if he was an idiot or if I'm being one."
farothel
"Oh, you certainly are," Sammy said with a grin on her face, before turning serious, "but this is as far as I can see useless. There was certainly something strange about this guy from what I've seen in the pictures that don't make sense, but he could just be very bad at voicing his requests. Spirits have a completely different frame of reference, so you have to be very specific in your commands or they might do something completely different from what you intended."

She did open her astral sight on the book to see if there wasn't something hidden on the pages or in the book.
Crossbow
The book is completely mundane.

"What 'Little Buddy's' summoner was was a very powerful, very desperate and very sick man. People at the end of lives filled with privilege will do anything, grasp any straw, run down any rumor, and swear to follow any god if it gives them one more day. Keep that in mind Skipper," Frosty says to O'Conner, "because desperate men do not need nuyen, they need time."

The Johnson tosses the book back to LBD, "That is about all the energy we have to waste on this side quest, I just got the call. We need to boogie back to VI, because the auction is happening tonight."
Necrogigas
O'Connor nodded solemnly to Frosty. Clearly she was speaking from deeply personal experience, so he didn't press further. He reloaded his spent magazines and readied his equipment. He told Lil' Homie, "Check your gear, grab your AK, and decide if you're out or seeing this through. We're in the endgame, and it's about to get real." He moved on to Little Buddy, "Your summoner is dead and dust. You're free to make your own choices now. You can stick with me, or tread your own path from here."
Crossbow
LBD takes on a comically exaggerated thinking pose as he considers what O'Conner tells him. "I will hang around until it gets boring."

Frosty sends Lil Homie down to get a ride and then gives the details to her team. The the 34th floor of the Global Sandstorm building is the location for the auction, security, provided by the Oni's Honor Guard, is especially tight. Only one bodyguard will be allowed at the auction with any principle, anyone else will have to wait in the garage. A secured elevator is the only access to the auction.

The mission is to secure the map, period. If it can be won fairly, great, if not the team will be expected to get it from whoever does, by any means necessary. Frosty will leave those means up to the team, but with the island on high alert, engaging in any action on VI is essentially suicide.

Frosty also has an update on Clementine and Mercy, they were deported to their country of origin that morning. She is already making arrangements to help them get back to Seattle.
pbangarth
Torley crosses his arms and puts on his most confident face, with a hint of a smile. "Well, boss, clearly I am the one who should be in the auction with you.

"The right word from me into the right ear and your competition will stop bidding at the crucial moment. Bullets or spells won't do. It's gotta be me."
Crossbow
"I was thinking you as well Torley, but be careful about using magic on the competition. Maybe just some schmoozing prior and a rumor about the authenticity of the map." Frosty replied. "Fortunately, we already have clothing from our trip to the market for a high caliber affair."
pbangarth
A slight look of disappointment crosses Torley's face. "Yeah, I suppose there will be all kinds of magical observation going on. I guess I will just have to rely on my charm and my wit!" His demeanour brightens again.

"Alright. Let's get ready for a party. They will be serving refreshments at the auction, I presume?"
Necrogigas
O'Connor put his hand on Little Buddy's shoulder. He adjusted his stance to place himself at eye level with the imp, "Glad to have you on board. That said, when you're on a team there's rules you have to play by. You have to listen to instructions, and you have to run your actions by us beforehand. Can you do that?"
farothel
Having Torley inside made some sense, although he wasn't really a bodyguard.
"Okay," Sammy said, "me and O'Connor and our new people will stay below with all the other bodyguards of the other bidders. We'll try to get a feel of their abilities, as I'm sure they will be doing with us. And as soon as we're back to something resembling normality, or as much as you can have here, I have to go shopping for some extra spells."
Crossbow
LBD listens carefully to what O'Conner tells him, he even nodded a bit at times. When the runner finished, he matched O'Conner with a hand on his shoulder, "No." Then he disappeared.
Necrogigas
O'Connor laughed uproariously, "Well, at least he was honest about it. I think I'm actually going to miss the little guy."
farothel
"Let me get another spirit on standby before we leave," Sammy said. She tried to call one, but for some reason it didn't work.
"Damn stupid astral garbage in this fracking country," she grumbled as she tried again, but this time one did answer, although she knew she couldn't call on it for a lot of things. She told it to stay in the astral for now to be called when needed.

[ Spoiler ]
pbangarth
Torley strokes his chin. "You figure you're rid of the little guy, O'Connor?"
Necrogigas
O'Connor shrugged, "Maybe he'll pop in every now and again if he's bored. I doubt he's sticking around for some long term prank. He strikes me as the ADHD type."
pbangarth
Torley laughs. "Sorta like me, huh?"
Crossbow
The auction seems like it’s in a different world from the rest of the city. Hardwood floors glow under dozens of crystal lights. In one corner, a string quartet plays a soft melody. A buffet of elegant aperitifs is set out along one side, and waiters circulate through the crowd, offering crystal flutes of champagne to the guests.

AR is fully enabled here, and a full list of the items for bid is displayed. Messages flow fast and furious between the bidders as collectors make backroom deals. After a week of the rather barren AR landscape of Lagos, being inside this room feels almost like being back in civilization—well, civilization minus the spam, but even that feels like home in certain places.

Torley sees Englebrecht, accompanied by one of the heavies, working the room. He notes Torley's proximity to Jane (or is it Frosty now?) and takes it as an opportunity to approach the face. "So Samuel, are you still playing the fool or are you actually so far out of the loop that you didn't know that you were working for one of of those self-important dandelion eaters from Oregon?" His accent and the use of Tir Tairngire's old name almost makes Torley miss his meaning.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Down on the garage level, O'Conner also sees several old 'friends', the younger Englebrecht and two of his buddies from the other night on VI as well as the heavy who was their man at the hotel, they have a few more rough looking humans with them, probably local talent.

Each of the bidders' entourage have their own place on the parking structure floor, with clear delineation between them. Your group looks absolutely anemic by comparison to the other groups, even with Lil Homie staring daggers, his over-sized AK at the ready.

The elevator in use has a full dozen of the Oni's Honor Guard with magical support guarding it against any attempts at stupidity.
farothel
In the garage Sammy opens her second sight to have a look at the others, trying to figure out who has magical talent and who has cyber implants. It's always good to know your opponents, if opponents they turn out to be.

assensing: 6d6t5 2
pbangarth
Torley visibly enjoys the appetizer he nibbles, taking his time to answer. With every gram of skill he has, he artfully arranges his body to project disdain for Englebrecht. finished his treat, Torley responds, "You can play your own fool if you like, pretending you have some higher purpose than others here. I do my job. Too bad for you you made the mistake of hiring lesser talent than I. " He tosses a glance at the heavy with Englebrecht.

With a wave of his wrist, he turns his back on Englebrecht and sashays back to the table of goodies, then studiously deciding what tasty treat to eat next. That'll stick in their craws.
Necrogigas
O'Connor scanned the garage for holes in the security layout. He really wanted to slash Englebrecht's tires if he could get away with it. One lesson from his mother that he actual took to heart was; Never pass up an opportunity to be petty. He also hoped that when a fight did break out, he got to kill the smug prick muscle. The bitch ass nepo-baby's death would be fun, but probably not worth the hassle of Daddy Douchebag's retaliation.

[ Spoiler ]
Crossbow
The setup in the garage is simple, but effective. Distance. The security guarding the elevator separated each of the groups using the garage by a dozen meters or more, but all are in easy sightline of the elevator. Any activity outside the vehicles quickly gets attention from the Honor Guard.

On the astral there is a spirit in the middle that is watching for any magical activity. Starlet sees her 'fan' from Yoruba is the magical support, but the set of his jaw when they met eyes says he is all business today. Beyond that though, there is little in the way of magical talent among the security. One group, the Apep Consortium, is the only one with a magician with them, a green young wizard who has the hard look of every Corporate Combat Mage ever seen on trid. In fact, the entire team looks like they were pulled straight out of the Corp Wars in Bogata, they are also the largest group, a car and 8 Rapiers that still have the marks of the Combat Bike team they were purchased from.

Viktor Engelbrecht notices the runners and after a minute of hard staring recognizes them, he exchanges some words with the Muscle, who looks put upon and somewhat embarassed, but nods and starts walking towards your group hands up and unarmed. He is quickly stopped by three of the Honor Guard, but after a word is allowed to continue his approach with the three accompanying him. They stop about 3 meters away and the Muscle motions for O'Conner to come over.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upstairs, Englebrecht follows Torley to the table, "No, my friend, what is 'too bad' is your choice to work for, and with animals, instead of your own kind. Tell your master to stay out of my way, the Map WILL be mine, one way or another." Having delivered his message, he looks down his nose at the cuisine. "Disgusting." he declares as he moves off.
Necrogigas
O'Connor gave Engelbrecht the Younger an annoyed glare, but decided to play ball. He disarmed and approached the muscle, "Anything of substance to say? Or are you just here to parrot some dumb drek for your boss' oversized cum stain back there?"
pbangarth
Torley neither looks at Englebrecht nor responds directly to his barbs. As Englebrecht turns to go, Torley mentions to another person at the table, "Nice to see such a spread. Clearly they expected a refined clientele here at the auction."
Crossbow
"Both actually, Viktor say to tell you even though you have found a prettier one, guttertrash is guttertrash. Also,..." the goon pulls a folded piece of hardcopy from a pocket, "...The White Vory are good friends to have, even with their questionable recruiting. With this delivery, unopened, they now owe me a favor." he hands off the note to the security who brings it to O'Conner and returns to his group.

"Please tell C that I will see him soon, either in Seattle or elsewhere when I send for him. Also, tell him to find the hidden compartment in the left end of the mantle and give you the bottle from it. You are a good man O'Conner, whether you believe it or not, and a good man deserves to know what good vodka is. Поднимите тост за нашу дружбу!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dwarf Torley is speaking to snorts in laughter quite loudly, then takes a bite of something he just put on his plate. He nods appreciatively and seems about to say something to the Face when an annoucement interrupts.

"Ladies, gentlemen and otherwise, the auction is about to begin, please take your seats."

Rows of comfortable chairs have been set up facing a podium and small stage. As the quartet finishes their last song, the wealthy crowd makes their way to their seats. There are seats for everyone, which means you each have a great view.

As the first item is brought out, a human male in a tuxedo steps up to the podium. “I’d like to welcome each of you to Oni Adegoke’s auction. Our first item of the night is a Ceremonial Xhosa headdress made from Mujaji’s feathers. We’ll open the bidding at 250,000 nuyen …"
pbangarth
Torley assists his boss to a seat that allows them a view not only of the items for sale, but him a view of Englebrecht, perhaps even close behind, but to one side.

As they move to seat themselves, he speaks to her. "Let's sit over here, where you can still see the sales, and I can see Englebrecht. He has made it clear to me that he will compete for the item we want, in whatever way necessary. If you could take a moment, could you please find out if there is any surveillance that could perceive me using an adept skill to distract him?"
Necrogigas
A few rebuttals pass through O'Connor's mind, but refrained from vocalizing them. It felt like wasted effort. He returned to his section and rearmed. He read the letter from Snow, and then reread it several time. A grim expression settled on his face. He handed the note to Starlet, "Really round about way for Snow to contact me. Also reads like a final goodbye."
farothel
Sammy keeps silent for now, staying back a bit and keeping an eye on things down here.
<"Torley, can you put your video feed on so we can follow"> she texts to the 'bodyguard'.
pbangarth
Torley responds to Starlet's request and shares his video feed. <<Here you go. Our friend Englebrecht is here and being an alpha dick as usual. He promises, literally, to be a competitor and opponent.>>
Necrogigas
<"Junior is pulling the same drek down here, except he has to hide behind goons to talk smack. Real shining example of the master aryan race, that one.">
Crossbow
"Yes, there is magical security. I doubt that you would even have an effect on him now. Just keep your eyes open, hopefully we can out spend these folks and put hands on the map. I figure we get it to Bullet Storm and they won't have a chance, unless we come across a orphaned kitten or something." Jane grins and quickly continues, "That was a joke O'Conner, don't blow a gasket. A little levity before the last push."
Necrogigas
O'Connor ignored the joke <"If you win the auction, escaping the city is going to be dicey. Every true powerplayer seems to be gunning for that map at all costs. We're rather outnumbered down here, and that's only counting the onsite goons. I'm sure some of them have groups setting up ambush sites, kill boxes, and the like. Hell, it might make more sense to let someone else win the auction and not be the opening target of the murder-theft scramble.">
farothel
<"I think it's easier to get it ourselves, if we can of course, than trying to figure out what the others did with it. And there are tricks to hide stuff">
Sammy kept looking out for any trouble.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012