Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [IP] Uncaring Stars
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Volker
[ Spoiler ]
Crossbow
"Well, my dad always said 'When the fish goes bad, toss it. The dawn brings a new catch.' I guess you could say that is what I am doing, fishing for the next catch."
Gilga
My dad used to say, never park a Westwind in Redmond after dark.". He never said anything that seemed very deep,
always to the point. Anna realizes, and then asks No fish metaphors in my family, is your dad a fisherman or it is just a thing they say in ahm... where are you from?"
Crossbow
Yes, he is. I am from a little town on a little island you probably never heard of, in the Federal Republic of Hellas, which my father still calls Greece. Where is this Redmond?
Gilga
Anna says "Seattle, it is a UCAS enclave on the west of America. Redmond is one of the worst towns in that sprawl." she says, without lifting her head from the disguise she was working on. The young mage was very satisfied with how easy it all became, and with the way she could use detection magic to aid her health spells. Not just being smarter, being more skilled. She is proud of the art she makes of supplementing her natural talent, the closest thing to being augmented - but perhaps she begins to realize - perhaps it is more than being augmented.
She takes the Predator pistol from her heap and shows it to Alex, the purple heavily costumed gun looks almost like a toy, but it feels like the original gun.
My favorite pistol, my first time getting shot. I heavily modified it since then, but it is the same gun. RP polymer coating, so I usually just color it as I wish."

>>bnc, basically we need three disguises as Sharkboy is a distraction. I can, however, make a disguise for James as a backup. Just in case, we'll need to connect your dirty universal connector directly to their servers or something like that. You are the brainiac, what do you think?
Volker
"I think several things", bnc replies on the team channel.
"First, I think I never realized that if you remove from the word 'brainiac' all sounds that count as vowels in the Czech language, 'bnc' remains.
Second, I doubt that's a good idea. He's easy to spot for a trained eye
[ Spoiler ]
and easily detectable by basically all means: scanners, astral sight, matrix perception - with whatever you look at him, he'll be obvious as a drone. We don't want them to wonder why your team would bring a 6" sex doll with a built-in gun with you. I'd keep him closeby, in a park or shop. If we need him, I'll try to sneak up or something, though I don't think that'll be the case.
Third, I was laughing my ass off at the thought that we're going to incorporate a corp.
Fourth, I was thinking about what corp we could take. My two favorite candidates are:
AG Chemie, for no other reason that even Sternschutz would hesitate to fuck with them. Also, it has its seat in Frankfurt, which would add to our credibility. A demolition expert working for AG Chemie would also make sense. On the downside, it's a very, well, traditional German firm, and we would have to find some good explanations why they would send a Slavic cyborg, a Hellenian minotaur and an American slu- mage.
The other one I was thinking of was Ares Integrated Solutions, a daughter of Ares. It's actually a German corporation, with its seat in Hanau which is still part of the same sprawl as Worms. AIS produces industrial machines, automated mobile production slash repair devices for guns, and stuff like that. Highly specialized, highly profitable. It would be very plausible for them to want to retrieve a valueable white-collar slave at all costs. Also, it's an Ares firm, so Taurus can reasonably play the corp soldier and instruct you others how to pass."
SquirrelDude
"Do ya'll need a distraction when you go in, or some kind of eyes on the place before you go in? I can dress down out of my suit and into some training clothes and go into complain about pain from my recent fight or over-exercising or one of the other usual excuses." If nothing else, it would be a good chance for Sharkboy to try and grift some free dopadrine from some scrubs.

"If we're doing a routine as suits then my purple hair is probably going to be more of a problem than muscle wearing a ballistic mask. Dress codes and all that bull shit I'd see Horizon execs bitching about."
Gilga
AIS it is, though the basic outfit is a cheapish suit. Not quite buissness people, but more than goons. Corporate pins, and perhaps a small logo. International Corp would disguise us better, even if it is the local branch. James is probably a bad idea pitty...
Crossbow
Executives are executives. Though no corporate VP would actually get their hands dirty with this kind of errand, they would send staff, which I guess moves me to the main team. I have actually done work like this, retrieving company assets from places they didn't belong. It is not unusual to send a goon to do this kind of work should things, or people, become difficult, so Nova will not seem out of place. Bonus, Anna as a mage, enjoys a certain cache in the corporate world as well. Spellcasters are rare and valuable enough in the corporate world that they are allowed a few peccadilloes as long they make an attempt to be civil.
Volker
"Very well then, Ares Integrated Solutions it is. I'll back out of the team channel for the moment. I need to focus on the fake order. If you need me, text me. I assume you've got a lot to discuss anyway."

While the others debate the details of their con, bnc starts forging.

[ Spoiler ]

Once she's done, she presents the order to the team. "Hulloh again. I think, I'm done. That's what I'm gonna deposit in their system.
Speaking of."

bnc searches the grid for the Sternschutz host. "Unless you have a good reason to wait, I'd go rape a police host."
Gilga
Anna remarks as an afternote "So be civil, and not fulfill my policeman fantasy while on the clock, but I get to flirt because I am a mage. got it." she remains quiet as she skillfully finishes up their disguises. Anna would skillfully work until she is done with the disguises, and then hands each their disguise, and go change. Anna will take a few minutes there to fix her hair and makeup. Which she did not do earlier for a meeting in the woods.

Once she sees herself in a cooperate suit, she remarks "Definitely keeping this one for roleplay purposes". Satisfied, exits, and goes to see what kind of car Eliza has fixed them.
Jack_Spade
Finding the host was easy: It stood out in the local network as a large castle in the medival setting of Worms. The Nibelungen saga was present in the iconography at every corner. The guards in front of the host looked forbidding and deadly - inside there was likely even worse IC to be found. But then, judging by the size, the patrols would be stretched to quickly find an interloper. Maybe time enough to get things done without being noticed...
Volker
Nibelungen it is, then. Darn, I should have taken notes in German, I guess.
So bnc adapts her persona to resemble a medieval monk. Did they even have monks in the Nibelungensage? Wait, it was something nordic, wasn't it?
After doing a bit of research, bnc decides to stick with the monk. If the queens could have a fight about who was to enter the church first, a bit of Christianity shouldn't be that bad and was it not the monks who did all the writing? After all, she had to edit some files. Heck, I really shoulda paid attention in school.

[ Spoiler ]

Once she set her mark on the host, she switches her cyberdeck to running in silent mode, and enters the host.

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
Inside the host, bnc was greeted by tumultous activity. Pages were running around through seemingly endless corridors, past libraries and quite a lot of forges.
bnc realized quickly, that this host not only took care of the hospital, but also coordinated dispatching of police throughout the city. Putting on her Tarnkappe she could move through the halls and corridors with ease.

[ Spoiler ]

Finding the right ledger is a matter of two seconds. But already she can see the Lindwurm make its rounds while she stares at the small brass lock on the file.
Volker
[ Spoiler ]

bnc takes a sideway glance, then quickly opens the lock with a picklock and inserts a prepared sheet into the book. It neatly melts into the back, becoming part of it. Then bnc quickly shuts the book and shoves it back.
Jack_Spade
The wyrm is getting closer, but the work is already done - now only the SIN-Reader at the entrance remains.
It's representation is a large guard dog tethered at the hosts entrance.
Volker
[ Spoiler ]

bnc quickly moves over to the watchdog, coaxing it with some meaty bones. "Swallow that, young pup", she mumbles as she feeds fake data into the dog. At first, it seems as it would refuse it but then bnc finds a digital bypass. She quickly changes her approach, and the canine representation swallows the bone. bnc casts a worried look at the little alb on her shoulder who urgently whispers "GOD's wrath is drawing near", while the wyrm's eye hovers over her. Heart beating, bnc fumbles for another goodie for the dog, draws it out of her robe and - more easily this time - feeds it to the SIN reader's icon, who vanishes with a painful yelp, only to reappear exactly where it had stood before only seconds later.
Seconds later, however, bnc has already returned to the meat world, panting, but also grinning.

"Chummers. This was my first time to hack a fragging police host!"
Gilga
Anna seems impressed "That's hot bnc". After a short pause she adds "Let's go fetch a corpse then"
Thanee
"Just to be sure, we do not actually know whether he is deceased or not, or do we?" Nova asked.
Crossbow
"If we assume it is, we can only be pleasantly surprised."
Volker
"Let's not assume. It could be both, and we have to be ready for both.
So, we have the forged order and it is in their system. The SIN reader has been manipulated. We have the car and the disguise. Do you have your story? I assume you have fitting SINs and licences? We have the Valkyrie module and I assume, Nova, you're gonna take your medkit with you.
Shark, are you ready for your part? Is there anything anyone needs before we move out?"
Gilga
He could also not be there, let's just do it. The plan is pretty straightforward, and it is not like we need to explain it to the police. We were sent to retrieve him, have forged documentation and we will pass a SIN check verifying that we are who we claim to be.
Before leaving, she drops her spells, and instead augments her charisma, figuring that having people a bit nicer to her may aid. Also noting that she is posing as a mage, so there is no reason to hide it.
SquirrelDude
”As the guy staying in the car, I have some questions:

“How are you planning to stay in contact?
“What happens if we lose contact?” How long until I should move in after you?”
Crossbow

"I would like to suggest that gunfire or sirens of any kind might be a good indication that we need help, but I don't really think there is a good way to stay in touch outside of calling us occasionally."
Gilga
Anna says "Perhaps I'll summon a minor spirit to stay with you? I'll be mind linked to the spirit so she can relay messages."
Volker
"If anyone of you carries an optic and/or acoustic sensor - cybereyes and ears, external commlink, smartgun, or such - they can share their feed with us. Also, why not just keep the group channel alive? That way, we're always in touch. If you have trodes or any other kind of DNI, you can even send voice or text messages without actually moving your jaws.
Also, I'd set a surveillance drone nearby to watch you."
Gilga
Anna shrugs "Fine... you can have a mark on my glasses and earbuds. "
Thanee
"Indeed, I see no reason why we cannot be in communication throughout," Nova agreed.
SquirrelDude
”Sounds great.

“What’s the plan if we loose communication in the middle of this because of the cops run interference or whatever?”
Thanee
Nova shrugged. "I guess, then it falls to Anna to use her magic to give you the go, in case we need the backup."

"We should, however, take a moment to think about what that backup would actually mean..."
Crossbow
"I would be fine with 'Come in shooting.'. You want to borrow my assault cannon?"
Gilga
Matrix communication plan A, Magic communication as a backup. It is more awkward to have a spirit tell you what happens than to see for yourself. About bailing us out, the right thing to do is have the car ready to pick us up if we need to escape. If we get arrested, I am not sure that the assault cannon is the way. It involves getting so hot that we cannot complete the mission and get paid. I'd say in that case, when they move us to another location try to rescue us, or get us a good lawyer and carry on without us.
SquirrelDude
"Appreciate the offer of your cannon, but I don't really know my way around firearms.

"I'll probably just walk in and say I have an appointment with some doctor cause I'm feeling pain or whatever, if security asks. Then make my way to you guys."

Volker
Yeah. If we realize things go south, Sharkboy will either distract them to give you a chance to flee, or go in. If we are cut off entirely, I will find a way to figure out what's up. They are not going to turn off all commlinks, cameras, smartguns, and so forth. Then we improvize a plan to get you out of there.
Not with a blood bath, though. We can't take a whole station of police officers all by ourselves.
Or can we?"
Thanee
"Technically, we wouldn't need to take on the whole station, just the ones between us and the exit," Nova commented.

"In that case, if it really comes down to that, we should know which exit we are headed, so Sharkboy can get to work on that one. So, as long as our communication is up, we should keep that in mind, so when it goes dark, we know what the rest will be doing. Even if that happens, I would consider violence not the first option, as an interruption to our communication might not even be related to us directly."
Volker
"Yeah, as I said, I'd be a chink of a decker if I would lose you in a fully operated semi-public building in the Sixth World. We'll do fine"
Gilga
Anna spends some time wondering about how terrible it might feel in mage cuffs, or dazed to the point of not posing a risk. Then she suppresses it all, and goes to seat in the car. Anxious to get going, and reluctant to make plans that involve excessive violence on the police. "So I leave a trail of dead people just to get buckets of money and expensive toys... I may be closer to the SINers than I realize." The bounded spirit just returns a serious look. As if, "just send me on a service or something". For an immortal being, Sophie does have a short fuse. Anna remarks.
Jack_Spade
The rented car arrives only 15 minutes after the team commits to the idea. True to her word, Eliza has taken care of getting you a luxurious armored limousine that has room enough for Taurus and a Valkyrie Module in the trunk.
Volker
"All right, then before we leave, let's sort out some matrix security issues.

First is slaving devices. I have acquired a 'link that is specifically tuned to be a professional master device. I can offer you to slave your important online gear.
Nova, your defense is quite decent. You have a couple of smartguns which you could either slave to your Transys or give them over to me.
[ Spoiler ]

Anna, the same is basically true for you. You have a high class 'link and from what I can tell from afar, the configuration is decent, too. I assume that you're going to wear specialized business clothing which might profit from being online. You, too, bring smartguns and agreed to go online with your earbuds and glasses. I assume that you'd take care of your matrix security yourself, as I can tell that you're perfectly capable of it. If you want, however, I can slave your 'link to mine to further improve its defense.

Things are less ideal for Sharkboy and Taurus.
Shark, I am not sure whether your bow has something like a smartgun system or not
[ Spoiler ]
or whether you use any grenades you want to have online. You might want your armor to profit form wifi perks when we get there. Apart from that, there's your commlink, of course, which is quite easy to hack. I offer you to slave all your vital devices to my commlink. Note that this does not allow me any access to your gear, it just adds a layer of protection.

Same goes for you, Taurus. I can tell that your eyes are cyber. If you need them to be online, please slave them to my device. You, too, seem to use smartguns and I assume that you will want to have some kind of armor that's gonna be online. Please don't leave any of these unprotected. With "unprotected" I mean also "slaved to your commlink" which really isn't much more than a phone and a camera. So, anything remotely important, give it to me.

Second is surveillance. I can offer constantly check for intruders, and let my agent assist me. Of course, the more attention is divided, the less attention each peace of gear gets. That's why I would suggest that I focus on Nova's and Anna's commlinks. If anyone of you has an agent program, now would be a good time to mention it.

Third is threat-highlighting software.
I will run some analysis programs and share the feed with you. If you keep an eye on this AR feed, we can work together to fend off intruders. I can share this with all of you, as the programs will run in the background. You only have to accept the request and keep the feed monitored.

Any questions?"
Gilga
Anna says "I am not bringing a gun, just clothes and glasses/earbuds, and link. I'll slave to you if you prefer, but I think it may expose you, where I prefer you to stay hidden as our snake in the grass."
Volker
"Fine by me, your defense is decent enough."
Gilga
*Great so I get to keep my private files private* Anna grins for herself. She strokes the ring in her pocket and draws confidence from it. While strapped in, Anna says "I'll go have a quick look at that place. Back shortly." closing her eyes, the young mage forms the mental patterns for enhanced senses, and then endures a moment of extreme sensation as her mind disengages from her body. She hates it, magic rarely is pleasant to do. Yet, once the separation is done, her mind is quite happy to be free. Anna moves within the speed of thought toward the police station and casually inspects the building. She would not sneak past wards but would notice their force and tradition if she can.

[ Spoiler ]
Volker
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Jun 25 2020, 08:01 AM) *
The rented car arrives only 15 minutes after the team commits to the idea. True to her word, Eliza has taken care of getting you a luxurious armored limousine that has room enough for Taurus and a Valkyrie Module in the trunk.

When the limo arrives, bnc gawks. Despite the fortunes she made (and spent almost immediately), she never granted herself what other people might consider a luxury. She whistles softly. "Carajo! That beats a public bus a thousand times, chummers...

Simultaneously, James gets up and walks over to the limo, and bnc passes him and lays down on her cot.
Jack_Spade
The car, a Mitsubishi Nightsky, displays Eliza's face on the small holoprojector on the dashboard.
<<Jump in. This baby is supposed to be back in two hours at the deep cleaning service where I got it. Afterward all traces of you will be gone - provided we get it back in time.
Satellite image shows the coast is clear at the hospital.
Shark, there is a chauffeurs cap in the glove compartment - should you want to look like one.>>

[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
[ Spoiler ]
Crossbow
Taurus quickly makes the adjustments necessary to give controls to bnc. He is used to corporate deckers covering him in this manner. He is already dressed professionally for the work to be done, so that part was easy too. His only real worry is one of the two women doing something that sets off the security contingent at the hospital.

"Follow my lead as best you can, one person should be doing the talking. I may not be able to charm anyone, but I know how this is supposed to go. If the orders are good there should be no surprises. The goal is the data, so let's make sure we get it."
Jack_Spade
Anna found the hospital after a bit of searching in the astral. The building was warded with a moderately high ward, as was to be expected of a security building and a hospital.
Two watchers of middling power flew about outside, tirelessly looking for intruders. Not impossible to get through, but also not a certain thing without getting caught.

There was no trace of any spirits to be seen.

[ Spoiler ]
Volker
"Ah, Nova, I just recalled. I have something that might at least be a cover-up. Maybe you could acutally need it, dunno. I still have the Lazarus Combo, from back then. The set contains Hemosynth, a nanite container with a savior medkit, a stim patch and a dose of each Crash and Kamikaze, respectively. Don't use the latter on Rabe, though, unless you really are prepared for it."
She grins and winks, handing over the Lazarus Combo to Nova, if she wants it.

Before bnc goes VR, she arranges several aerosol cans with nanites around her body. She makes sure that her auto-injector is filled with Overdrive. James is wearing his Sleeping Tiger and makes sure the Savalette is filled with gel. Apart from a set of plasteel restraints just in case he doesn't bring anything.

bnc slaves all sensitive devices of Sharkboy and Taurus to her Fairlight Caliban (which is running a diagnosis app that covers also all of its slaves), provides the whole team with the feed of her threat-highlighting system and instructs her agent to constantly check Taurus's, Nova's and Anna's commlink for marks.
Then, she leans back, watching the show and supporting her agent by checking on commlinks and smartguns.
Gilga
Anna reports, "Astral security is workable. Nothing that got me too worried." She looks at Taurus and say "I don't mind following your lead, but were you the one to do the talking in Ares? Won't it be strange that you do now? I mean, I can just shut up and look annoyed that they took me on a field trip where I could have studied counterspelling."
Crossbow
"If my charge wasn't present, and they had sent me on the errand, yes I did the talking. If another corporate executive was being addressed, it was obviously deferential. But with other security personnel, I have found that being the most imposing person in the room keeps the chitchat to a minimum." Taurus draws himself up to his full height to emphasize the point.

"If you or Nova feel like you are better suited to being the primary I can defer, it was a guess on my part that I had the most corporate experience."

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012