Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [IP] Uncaring Stars
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Gilga
Anna feels uncomfortable at the magical execution, but the goo behaves better than the petrification spell, and how did Mhume manage to remove his spine without killing him. The old witch is full of surprises.

She takes a seat inside the blimp and searches her bag for some vodka. Taking the small flask, she is about to pour some shots to interested parties - but then bnc becomes paranoid - what did Mhume say that got her so tensed up?
Crossbow
Taurus will board the blimp and retrieve his pay, once given the orders for the next leg he will go find a shower himself. As washes the last of the satanist's bits from from his hairy hide, he makes a point of looking for any shards that look like that thing that Muhme pulled out of his buddy.

He thinks that the dude running down the drain or the chick with the knife probably got off easy, the poor slob they left in the clearing is going to have tell someone about his screwup and might end up in prison to boot. He didn't feel too bad though, a few more paydays like this one and he will have Ares out of his life forever.
Jack_Spade
Muhme answered bnc: "They are Bloodcrystals. Another bit of forbidden arcane knowledge that a pact with the horrors has brought into this world. Augmentation for mages, feeding on channeled mana. A present from the Black Lodge representative, that gave those three the information about time and place for the ritual. I'd advice anyone to not get tangled up with this kind of magic. Only ruin can come from it."

Taurus did indeed find tiny splinters of the blood crystal on his fur, though once the blood was washed away, the crystals grew dull and started to dissolve too.
Volker
"We need to talk", bnc says seriously. "I got into contact with an organization that had a lot of interest in this kind of ... sorcery. If they are involved, things are going to be interesting for both of us."
Crossbow
Taurus will come out of the bathroom with just a towel, his hand holding the dead crystals.

"Uhm, can someone make sure I got all of these? I am not really interested in being possessed by some demon."
Gilga
Anna washes her eyes by the muscular body of the Minotaur, allowing herself a few moments to enjoy the opportunity. She responds playfully "Alright, but you'll have to lose the towel for that... I suggest you lose it in the shower unless you want us all to see you naked." She remains quiet and projects her mind, inspecting the Minotaur to see if he has any Blood crystal shards left on his body. She'll manifest a transparent image of herself to show the Minotaur that she is actually inspecting him very carefully. She'll point out any missed Shard allowing Alex to wash it off.
Volker
bnc just rolls her eyes and leans her forehead on her arm when she sees Anna practically undressing the muscular minotaur.
Jack_Spade
Muhme nodded: "I never presumed that this would become a dull affair. One or two representatives of a Megacon is likely to cross our paths one way or the other. The Black Lodge has it's filthy tentacles everywhere where there is power to be had. Our greatest weapon in that regard is our mobility and speed. If we can keep knocking out targets like we did here, they should be slow enough in intelligence gathering that we get through our list before they can mount an effective counter."

Meanwhile, Anna had found only a few more dull splinters on Taurus' hulking frame. There was a funny alure to them - almost a compulsion that whispered in her ear to just poke herself in the eye with a shard and see what would happen.
Volker
"So, are you going to listen what I have experienced?

Anna, give me one of those crystals, will you? I wanna see whether they are the same as the ones ... Bean Si sported."

bnc bites her lip nervously.
Jack_Spade
"By all means tell your tale- we have a long flight before us." Muhme replied. "I just assumed you didn't want to talk about it publicly, since you avoided naming Mitsuhama."

Crossbow
The minotaur returned to the shower and removed the shards Anna indicated. He wasn't shy about being seen naked, more embarrassed that he needed the help. He was a little confused by Anna's initial attention, he had been with women, but usually they were other security types. Female attention from women Anna's size was usually somewhere between fear and disgust.

When they were done, he gave himself a quick wash and rinse and got dressed, returning to where the rest of the team was.
Gilga
[ Spoiler ]

Once finished Anna is back at her seat, a bit disappointment as nobody seems to be partying, and they all still in business mode. She sighs, and stretches. Idly listening in to the conversation, and idly reading about detection spells.

Anna responds "I never touched them... They are too tempting for that, so I only assensed them."
Volker
If there is nothing else to be discussed for the moment, bnc will retreat with Muhme to share her experiences of the previous run. She doesn't tell anything about the cirmustances themselves - they are of a private nature - but she will share her knowledge about the blood crystals, the virus, and Rosenberg. In return, bnc will try to find out whether the one set of crystals and the other have a possible connection, and whether Muhme believes the two things to be related to each other.

After the talk with the witch, bnc will try her best to analyze the blood crystals and compare them to her experiences. Since she doesn't have a lab, however, she'll expect the investigation to be a rather short affair.
Jack_Spade
bnc learned quite a few new things:
First, Muhme was aware which corporations had gotten access to blood crystals: Mitsuhama, Ares and Wuxing had started to produce them through various sub-sub-sub-companies and were providing them to a growing black market.
She explains that all of them are subtly different. In her opinion this is due to the fact that these crystals are shards of a type of blood spirits that can't yet exist on this metaplane with these relatively low mana levels.
"Without drawing magic from its host, those shards couldn't work at all. In the end it all comes down to blood magic and their soul sucking abilities. It doesn't really matter where those two got them from - it's all the same source - the vilest kind of spirits you can imagine."

bnc's own investigations don't really reveal any new information if this type of crystal is from Rosenberg's work or not.

Meanwhile the blimp had gained altitude again - now with the monowheels on board it felt a bit crowded, but was still comparatively comfortable to travel - especially when the dawning morning was displayed on the inside walls.

<<We'll be on our way for another four hours. We'll set down in a small wooded area to the north west of Prague. Any questions so far?>> Eliza helpfully asked.
Crossbow
"Anyone speak Czech?"
Volker
"Nic moc. Mluvím trochu česky.
Only a little."
Thanee
"I don't speak Czech. bnc, do you have the 'ware to use language soft? That could also help."
Gilga
Anna shakes her head to indicate that she does not speak Czech, she tries to imitate what she thinks is a Czech accent when she says "Vodka speaks all languages. " with a serious face. She pours a shot of Vodka and asks if anyone wants to drink.
Volker
QUOTE (Thanee @ Oct 1 2020, 05:41 AM) *
"I don't speak Czech. bnc, do you have the 'ware to use language soft? That could also help."

"I have skill wires, but poor ones. To be honest, I don't speak Czech myself. This is already a lingua soft. I have an abo to Singularity granting me free access to the entire database of lingua, skill, and knowsofts. They are, too, quite basic, however. Still, I assume we'll find our way around. I also believe that most Czechs speak either English or German.

By the way, Czechs prefer beer over vodka."
Thanee
Nova doesn't say no to a shot of vodka, of course.

"Good to know about the beer. Some rudimentary understanding might still be useful to understand, if we hear someone speaking in their language."

She spends some time to clean and prepare her gear before the next stop.
Volker
"Rudimentary I can do. If we need more, we'll have to hire someone, I suppose."
Jack_Spade
May 20th, 2077, Prague, Czech Republic

The sun had fully risen and before the team lay Prague, the Golden City or as it also was called, the City of a Hundred Towers.
Eliza had provided an info dump about the Bohemian capital: About 1.5 million people lived here with a significant portion being awakened. A center of magical learning and research, Prague housed more than one alchemical or magitech start up. The dragon Schwartzkopf even worked here as guest docent at the local university.
During the year of the comet, Prague was nearly overrun by Shedim, but a coalition of most mages in the city as well as the mysterious reappearance of the Golem had been able to confine the outbreak, so that now only the old Jewish cemetary was still haunted by these vile creatures.

"... and unfortunately, the nexus for the spike is very close to the old graveyard. Just across the street to be precise at the State Gallery of Contemporary Art
I don't know which faction will try a ritual there, but we have three full days to find out."

Gilga
What is so special about the Jewish cemetery that they couldn't get the corpse snatchers from there?
Anna said suddenly paying attention.
Crossbow
Taurus indulged in a few shots, then started reading up on Shedim on the matrix.

"There is only so long you can get a group of people working toward a central goal. When you have a determined foe, it is sometime easier to isolate them than to eradicate them."
Volker
"Or else, it's just nobody cared for the jews again.", bnc says.

After her breakfast, she tried to join Anna in her morning workout, but gave in halfway through. She then took a shower and wrapped herself in a dark blue hoodie.

"Do you know anything else? Or just that someone might try a ritual at the Gallery three days from now?"

bnc searches social media, news archives and such for any disturbing blood rituals or something alike.
Jack_Spade
Muhme gave a sardonic smile: "I doubt that it was anti-semitisim in this case. That graveyard is historic and from the middle ages. There were simply too many bodies for the Shedim to possess to get rid of them effectively - and it was easy to ward the graveyard of from the rest of the city.

And to answer your question: I'm going to try and divine that out. But while I do that, I'd ask you to employ more mundane techniques to find out if and who might have started to prepare a ritual. As you saw at the last site, pinpointing the exact place isn't trivial.
If you don't succeed in that, you will have to break in there during the night and ensure that there isn't any chance of a successful ritual there - by what ever means necessary."

It didn't take bnc long to find some interesting reports about several homeless people who seemed to have been attacked by vampires - a local group of bounty hunters, the
Lovci Stínů, have been engaged by the city to take care of the problem.
Crossbow
Taurus will compose a message to Jimmy V, his contact in Interpol. >>Hey man, I am on a job right now and I could use some intel on a few things. A mage by the name of Muhme, and a group of bounty hunters known as Lovci Stínů.

He will send a similar message to Mr. Ironside, though it will be much more formal.
Gilga
"I like art, perhaps we can start by visiting the Gallery?"
Jack_Spade
Muhme nodded at Anna's suggestion. "That certainly is a good first step."

Taurus had to wait a few minutes for a reply. Jimmy got to him back first:
<<Never heard of Muhme, but the Lovci Stínů are a mercenary outfit specialized in dealing with infected and spirits. Their name translates to Shadow Hunters. They have a good reputation of dealing with astral threats and are backed by Prague University. Lot's of adepts, a few full mages and quite a few mundanes augmented with sustained spells.
Take care and don't tangle with them if you don't have to. They are veterans for the most part and play for keeps.>>

Ironside took even longer to reply: <<Taurus my boy - how are you doing these days? I hope you are keeping your nostrils clean. I had to dig into a few clasified archives to find anything useful beyond a few out of date articles.
Muhme is apparently not just a name but a title - Old German for aunt or nurse. The male title would be Oheim. There is always just one though and she is considered the most powerful witch of the Brocken coven. We are talking here at least six initiations and magic experience since shortly after the awakening. There are a lot of information about her, but they are contradicting and confusing - especially since she lived through two matrix crashes. If you are on a run against her, you better hit with your first shot.>>
Crossbow
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Oct 4 2020, 05:05 AM) *
<<Never heard of Muhme, but the Lovci Stínů are a mercenary outfit specialized in dealing with infected and spirits. Their name translates to Shadow Hunters. They have a good reputation of dealing with astral threats and are backed by Prague University. Lot's of adepts, a few full mages and quite a few mundanes augmented with sustained spells.
Take care and don't tangle with them if you don't have to. They are veterans for the most part and play for keeps.>>

>>I don't think we will be at odds with them, but we may be working at cross purposes, so any knowledge of them is useful. I seem to have gotten myself involved in some major magical goings on in Eastern Europe, so if you are assigned to anything like that, don't be surprised to see my pretty face and just know I am working on the side of the angels, okay?

Ironside took even longer to reply: <<Taurus my boy - how are you doing these days? I hope you are keeping your nostrils clean. I had to dig into a few clasified archives to find anything useful beyond a few out of date articles.
Muhme is apparently not just a name but a title - Old German for aunt or nurse. The male title would be Oheim. There is always just one though and she is considered the most powerful witch of the Brocken coven. We are talking here at least six initiations and magic experience since shortly after the awakening. There are a lot of information about her, but they are contradicting and confusing - especially since she lived through two matrix crashes. If you are on a run against her, you better hit with your first shot.>>

>> I am doing well sir, I am actually working for Muhme, just trying to preform due diligence, like you have told me. If things go well here I could be out from under Ares by year's end, so this seems like it is worth doing even though it isn't really in my wheelhouse. Thank you for your help, sir.

Once he has spoken with both, he will be looking to have a private word with Anna, away from the blimp, so as to share his findings and have her explain some of the magical terms that were used by his contacts.
Volker
bnc shares her findings with the group, then adds. "Sounds like a lot of talking to people stuff and such. Nova, Anna, would you..?"
Gilga
Once the blimp lands, Anna exits quickly. Looking around and scratching her head "Another wooden area." she takes a deep breath enjoying the natural environment and then gets in to get her unicycle. While initially negative, she learned to trust that tiny vehicle in the last chase.
When she sees Taurus follows her, she gets a bit defensive. She nods her head, happy to visit the gallery with Nova.

"Look I only saw your aura in that room."
Crossbow
Taurus looks completely confused.

"Is that a good thing? Look, I got intel from my contacts, but I don't have a lot of experience with magic, so I am not a hundred percent sure of what they told me. Can you explain some of this stuff?" He forwards the notes to her or shows her on his commlink, what ever is easier.
Gilga
Anna responds "I don't know..." then she takes some time reading the text, scratches her head and explains
"Awakened people can be classified by what sorts of magic they can do, there is physical magic, sorcery, conjuring, and alchemy. Very few mages can do all four types of magic. Adepts usually do just physical magic, while mages can do any combination of the other three schools. Mhume is likely a full mage like myself which means she has access to sorcery conjuring and alchemy. Magic users of all types grow stronger with time and practice, it is kind of like going to the gym - but here there really are no hard limits.

Initiations are the method that allows mages to increase their capacity to channel magic. Or their power for simplicity. Detail of what are initiations vary from tradition to tradition, and they include metaplanar quests, ordeals, and sacrifices, solving riddles, and performing difficult tasks, as well as research and practice. It gets harder to advance the more you do it, and Initiated mages often know how to do extraordinary things with their talent. So if Mhume has at least six initiations she is likely the most powerful mage I encountered. It is a lot, and requires a very strong basis of arcane knowledge.

For reference, I only initiated once. While this makes me an experienced mage in most cycles, I am far from being a master of this art. There are always stronger, and more experienced mages out there. Now a coven is basically a social club or an organization. Many mages join these things to have access to guidance. I never joined one, I am kind of too anarchist for strict rules and disciplines so I may not be the best person to ask about them.

Anything else I missed?"
Volker
[ Spoiler ]

"What? Muhme initiated at least six times?? You kidding? Where do you have that info from? I found literally nothing on the matrix."
Crossbow
"Can you do any enhancements? That could be useful to know. Is it dangerous?" Taurus also responded to bnc, "My benefactor, the person who got me off a fishing boat."
Gilga
"Didn't you see me do tracking without any experience? I am not that smart it was magic. I don't normally go to the outdoors."
Thanee
<< Well, it was pretty obvious, that she is powerful, right? Seems like she has been around for a while, then. Just be glad, that she is not on the other side. And maybe don't anger her too much. wink.gif >>
Volker
"Yeah, and let's hope that's true and stays that way.
Anyhow, would our faces care to investigate those vampire attacks? I will try to get us a map of the gallery in the meantime"
Gilga
Anna smiles Mhume is indeed awsome.
>> I am touched that the city hires expensive mercs because some homeless get hurt. Some cities would ignore the problem until taxpayers are harmed. Not sure how effective we can be, but sure. bnc you might want to take the lead on that one as the only semi-local here.

With that the impatient mage started making her way toward the gallery.

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]
Volker
"How the frag am I a semi-local? I don't speak a single word of Czech without my skilljack and I haven't been in the Republic. But yeah, I'll tag along. Just don't expect me to talk nice or so."

bnc orders James to follow them without jumping in, however. She's going to be at the Gallery a little early...

[ Spoiler ]
Gilga
>> You are European, and you do speak the language skilljackc or not... Whereas I am not even sure which country are we now in. Truth be told, they did not stick around long enough to make it worthwhile to find out.
Crossbow
Taurus hadn't really intended to go, but when he thought about it, it would be his first chance to be in one of the places without have to worry about threats and sightlines.

"Hope I am not intruding? A day at an art Gallery sound relaxing."
Jack_Spade
The gallery was in the historical part of Prague - and tourism was clearly one of its main sources of income. Still, even the most aggressive AR adverts couldn't hide the beauty of the old city. A lot of money had been spent on restoring parts of it while keeping the flair of the old and mysterious. Driving along on monocycles with a Minotaur didn't even draw a second look from the people here.
At the gallery, the team noted that the current installation was about to come to an end - last day of "The pain of existance" was displayed outside. Apparently a collection of modern art paintings and scuptures, depicting the "subliminal horror of being alive". The next two days, the gallery would be closed for redecoration until the next exhibition "The old masters: Hans von Aachen, Petr Brandl, MatyᚠBernard Braun, Lucas Cranach, Adriaen de Vries, Albrecht Dürer, El Greco, Francisco José Goya, Hans Holbein, Jan Gossaert called Mabuse, Rembrandt van Rijn, Jusepe de Ribera, Peter Paul Rubens, Bartholomaeus Spranger, Karel Škréta, Simon Vouet and Michael Leopold Willmann would be on loan from various private collectors."

There was no throng of visitors here, but individual people strolling through the ring like architecture, looking at the displayed objects.

[ Spoiler ]
Volker
[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]
Gilga
Anna parks the monocycle in near the Gallery and then heads with the rest to the gallery. She takes some time to appreciate the art, the astral but also searches for possible preparations for a ritual. Like exhibits that may really be reagents or other opportunities...

"Now if I wanted to do a ritual here when the gallery is empty where would I do it..." she thinks.
[ Spoiler ]
Crossbow
[ Spoiler ]
Volker
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012