Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [IP] Uncaring Stars
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Gilga
Once loaded on the hut, Anna is intrigued by the kind of mojo required to lift the hut. She assenses the hut for a while, and examines the magical interactions, and afterward comments to Muhme "That is some impressive trick, did not even know it was possible."
Jack_Spade
Muhme looked at Sharkboy:
"Are you stupid or merely very inattentive?"
She indicates at the credsticks that are still arrayed in front of you all on her desk.
"As soon as I have mapped out the scope of this mission, I'll tell you - then we can talk price.
And as for your gear: I'm not your mother to look after your drek - and if I were I'd probably taken more care not to drop you on your head during bathtime."

Anna meanwhile noticed that there was no magic at play - at least none that she could see. But the haze above the hut now looked different - more regular and somehow straight. The canopy as well now looked no longer like a real wood but like the underside of a bowl.
Thanee
Right. Payment.

Nova picked up one of the credsticks, checked the balance and then put it into her smuggling compartment.
SquirrelDude
Sharkboy takes the credsticks, checks the amount is correct, and walks out of the hut.

"I'm not flying to fight demon summoners, with you unable to describe scale or type of work needed, and for pay we haven't negotiated.

"You all,"
Sharkboy gestures to make it clear he's speaking to the team as well as Muhme. " were the people who last had custody of my belongings. I expect my belongings to be delivered discretely and securely to my lodgings, Eliza can contact me when she needs the address."

With a curt wave, "Good hunting."
Gilga
Anna picks up the credstick verify that she got her share, and pockets it. "It's a win-win situation Shark, we need to get out of Worms even if we do not take the job. There is a police investigation because of the elf bitch, and our cover is burned. Troll republic is far enough, and we get free transportation in a fake witches hut. How cool is that?"

She rolls her eyes and then says "Did you check the trunk of your taxi? We unloaded the limo, and you joined us to pick up Taurus... I doubt he would leave your stuff behind. He seems like a responsible divinity."
Jack_Spade
Muhme sighed: "Watch your step. An afternoon of work provided you with 25k €. We are obviously talking about a similar sum for the next mission. If you leave this hut, You will be out. And not because I find your behavior insolent, but because you won't be in position in time to take part in it. This arrangement is not an affectation, but a necessity. Because although I don't know the precise coordinates yet, I do know that we have less than three days to sabotage the next ritual."

The ground lurched upward again as the hut lifted half a meter from the ground.
SquirrelDude
Sharkboy quickly turned to Anna. "I asked the bull, but he never answered, so now I'm asking everyone else who unloaded the limo."

"I came to the town as Sharkboy, chatted up some locals at the hospital as Sharkboy, and can take the next train out of here as Sharkboy. I got paid, I've got work waiting for me that doesn't involve flying with witches and fighting the devil."

Sharkboy is now looking up through the door as he's standing outside the door.
Thanee
Nova looked around, as a bag with his stuff was probably lying around in the hut somewhere. She picked it up and tossed it to him (after making sure, that it isn't anyone else's).

"Well then. Take care! Maybe another time."
SquirrelDude
"Thanks Nova."
Gilga
"Bye Sharkboy! It was nice seeing you again!" Anna says waving her hand. Impressed that he managed to get out of their gig so legit.
Crossbow
WHAT THE FRAG?!?!

Taurus moves to the door of the hut and gets in front of the wrestler.

"Where the hell do you think you are going? You know what, I don't care, just turn your amphibian ass around and get back in there. I don't care if you and Baba Yaga in there don't get along, I don't care if you and that freakazoid hacker in there can't figure out if you want to fight or fuck, but that is a team in there that you committed too. We aren't done and we need you.

We knew there was more to do when we started this, and yeah it may have gotten a bit weird, but quit acting a bed-wetting mark, get back in there and call it in the ring."
Taurus pointed back over his head. "The only way you are leaving is through me."
SquirrelDude
[ Spoiler ]

"I've had it up to the gills with this fish bullshit.

"Look cowboy, I know you've got a thick skull and don't think things through, burning your SIN the very first time you have to pretend to be a suit again, but what are you planning to do here? Beat me up so I have to work with you? Make me fight you to prove I have the right to leave? I fight for championships and to visit the pay window, and you ain't got a title on around your waist and I already got my check.

"We took a job. We completed it. We were paid. We have been offered another one. I'm turning the new job down. I don't owe you drek. Get out of my way."
Crossbow
"Cowboy, really? Do they actually pay you for that wit? You need to give a refund."

"You are supposed to fight the good fight, good and evil, right and wrong. If we don't stop this, it's all evil, all the time, and the pay window will be closed permanently."

Taurus unbuttoned his jacket. "Call me dumb if you want to, that's one more reason you need to stay, who else is going to pull me out of the fire? If you aren't going I would rather get beat down here than used for some sacrificial bull."

"The job is not done, get in the hut, or get these hands."

SquirrelDude
Sharkboy slid his hands into his suit pockets, and disabled his auto-injector. It's a casual stance, but he stands larger than previously.

I admit you're making this real tempting, but you're too big to be gentle with, and I can't go roughing you up before you run off to save the world. Your Muhme will get real mad if I do."

Clearly speaking to the rest of the group "You all better tell your boy here to stop being as dumb as he is big, before I butcher him."
Thanee
Nova made herself comfortable in one of the relaxing chairs.

"He's not my boy."
Jack_Spade
Muhme's voice cut in like ice:
"It honors you, Taurus, to take a stand for this, but this is neither the time nor the place to hurt or get hurt.
If he wants to go he can."

Eliza finally also answered:
<<I'm sorry to see you go Sharkboy. The cab is still waiting on the forrest road. I'll take you to the next station. Be careful though. The police is very agitated now.>>
Gilga
Anna walks back not wanting to get caught in a fistfight. She enjoys the verbal fight between the two, her thrillseeking natures kind of wishes they would fight. However, the delay also gives her time to think, and perhaps Sharkboy is not as clean as he imagines. She tries to talk to Shark, appealing for his professionalism and reasoning. She feels that Taurus sense of duty is suitable for a cooperate employee, but not for a free spirited criminal. It would never work here, and it is misguided.
While she would not take a job bringing the horrors in, stopping the end of the world is not their personal responsibility. There are other people that can do that.

She tries to get Shark's attention while making sure she is not in the way of a fistfight. Shark, breath!" she says and pauses you arrived in the same car that we used to kidnap Rabe and steal evidence. You are not as clean as you think. Rabe blew up an entire building, perhaps leaving a trail of bodies. The police would see it all as the same case. They will come looking for Sharkboy, and if they are competent enough in their job they will link you to this mess.

She pauses Muhme will hide us well since she needs another run. The time to accept or reject her offer is once we have enough information. We should definitely reject it if the stakes are too high for us, or if we feel that we can't pull it off. By that time, we'll be far away from the scene of the crime, and most importantly not arrested.
Volker
After having watched the show for quite a time, bnc sighs in exasperation.

"For fuck's sake, let him go. We're shadowrunners. We take jobs, and we don't. What loyalty can you expect from someone you bully into service? For this kind of run, we need dedication. You can't do it half-heartedly. If he's not in, he's a danger. Step aside, Taurus, and let him leave. He's a free man."
"Kind of, that is"

bnc takes her credstick. Seeing that Nova check hers and didn't react, she's fine for the moment and just pockets the little stick. She unslaves all of Shark's devices and dismisses the mark she still had on his commlink.

"Farewell, Sharkboy"
There's no real hurt in her voice at all.
SquirrelDude
"Thanks for the concern, Anna. I'll figure it out.

He looks at the minotaur, expecting him to move now.
Gilga
"Take care big guy... You will be missed." Anna says and takes a seat. She feels a bit worried to be the only awakened left in the team, perhaps Muhme can be counted as a back-up but when they'll be facing a small cabal of sorcerers, it will all be up to her, and her alone to protect her friends. It felt so much better to have Wraith to counterspell incoming spells with her, and while surrounded with very capable people, Anna feels the responsibility of her role.
Crossbow
Taurus looks him up and down, then steps aside to wave him off, "Fake tough guy, fake shadowrunner, fake wrestler, is anything real to you at all?" He heads back inside, one more comment as he is climbing up.

"You should hope the demons win, then you will never have to back up being a real bad ass."
Thanee
Nova only slightly raised her head. "Just stop that, Alex. You don't know him. It's his decision to make."
SquirrelDude
Sharkboy just shook his head, and gathered up his belongings and offered a final wave before heading off. "Sure thing, junior.

"Make sure to catch me on the trids."
Jack_Spade
As Sharkboy hopped out and left the clearing, the structure began to rise more and more into the air. With a hiss the door closed. For a moment light dimmed - just to be replaced with the walls seemingly turning transparent, showing the outside world. A closer look revealed that they were all covered with screens, allowing a perfect 360° field of vision. For a moment it looked like the canopy had also rissen with the structure, but just a second later there was nothing to be seen except a faint outline and the clear sky overhead.

Eliza reported:
<<Cloaking is engaged. Wind comes in from north-west. For now we are heading south, avoiding major populated areas. As soon as I have driven Sharkboy to his train I'll shut off transmission to the outside and engage also Farraday cloaking. So if you have pressing business on the matrix, I suggest you do so now, because we'll go dark for the next few hours.>>

Muhme nodded: "The mana illusion is in place too. Now leave me all alone for a bit - I have to figure out the exact coordinates for this ritual."
Gilga
Anna observes her surroundings excited "I can't believe that he missed that. It feels almost like flying." She texts Eliza before the decker bans communication. >> Eliza, wow... this is by far the coolest vehicle you drove me in. What kind of vehicle is this?

Jack_Spade
<<It's a blimb - although a pretty tricked out one. We have to be careful about the hydrogen, so please no fireballs.>>
Eliza replies with a wry smile in her voice.
Gilga
Anna answers with surprise in her voice>> Shouldn't Helium be safer than hydrogen? I'll go easy on fireballs no problem. How long is the flight, and are you joining us for a drink? I mean, you do celetate when you get a job done, don't you?
Jack_Spade
<<Would be - but Hydrogen produces more lift, allowing us to have a smaller and more maneuverable balloon. Also we can easier resupply through electrolytic conversion.
Sorry Anna, I don't drink... I just drive.>>

Eliza replies.
Gilga
>> electrolytic conversation, that is smart. I can only imagine how many details you do consider all the time.
I started driving, by the way, it is indeed enjoyable.
she comments.
Volker
bnc settles down on her cod. Matrix dark time means time to relax. She can't do anything without being online anyway. Just the last things to settle.

"There is indeed one question. Can you recommend a route on which I can safely bring our vehicle into the ADL? It is armed and not strictly speaking legal, so it'd be awesome if we found some countryroad that is not frequently checked."

bnc leans back, resting her head against a wall. Something about Sharkboy leaving nags on her, but she doesn't speak up for the moment.
Jack_Spade
Eliza replied to bnc:
<<I can do that for you, but on the whole you won't get much use of it when we relocate again. The ADL is sadly a patchwork of borders. Another reason this setup is necessary for us to move around. But I'll try to organize a good substitute once we can risk matrix connection again.>>

About a quarter hour later, the matrix reception did indeed drop to zero. Aside from breathing and conversation, the whole ride was perfectly silent.
A good while later Eliza announced:
<<We are now crossing the border - illegally, obviously[. Another two hours or so and we can risk communications again

Muhme meanwhile seemed to have gone into VR with a little old fashioned looking trodenet.

Two hours later she suddenly announced to the room: "Alright I have the coordinates. Eliza bring us to 47.844482, 7.946856. The target is at Todtnau."
Gilga
Anna would spend the next two hours watching the view, excited as if it is the first time she is flying. (It is actually the second time) but she did not have such a good view when she was flying. She'll make conversation, with the rest, but would not mention Shark or work. She has many question to Mhume as the first probably expert sorcerer she meets that does not try to murder her, and she is especially intrigued since the old hag may know the masking metamagic. A piece of knowledge which is not exactly common knowledge, and has little representation in academic texts. Yet, the woman keeps busy and Anna finds no time to get her attention and ask about that. Which is fine, because she is flying over Europe in a transparent slow-moving vehicle. That experience is breathtaking.

When Mhume declares that they have an exact coordination she suggest "If you need, I can help by scouting the place astrally.
Jack_Spade
"That would indeed be helpful. But we'll do that after we land. It is a real hassle to find back to your body if it's moved through the sky."

Eliza chimed in:
<<I'm in contact with a local ally. He'll supply you with suitable transportation for the local environment. Our landing place will be close by.
His name is Erich Häberle. He is using his used car dealership as a cover for his fencing business. I do have a good working relationship with him, so please be polite with him.>>

Thanee
While not quite sharing the excitement that Anna was showing, Nova did appreciate the view and the fact that this was certainly something you do not see every day.

Other than that, it was simply waiting. Waiting for their arrival and waiting for further briefing.
Jack_Spade
Finally the blimp landed - once again in a clearing with the hull changing color to match with the surrounding environment.

<<My contact has his warehouse about 2 km from here. I've added an ARO for you. Once you are there, he'll give you your transports and hopefully also some information about what's going on in the area.>>
Liza told them.

Meanwhile Muhme turned to Anna and said: "If you still want to come with me, get ready. It's time to see what the astral is holding for us here. Stay close though, I'm going to use an illussion to cover us during our astral travel."

The astral outside the hut was rich and healthy. Strong earth magic mana flowed here, increasing the BGC to 2. Muhme appeared as herself - still giving the impression that she didn't actually have any magic, like a mundane using certain awakened plants to project. A moment later her astral form was turned into that of a plant spirit of inconsequential power.
Looking back, Anna saw something surprising: Instead of slumping in her chair, Muhme still sat there - and had clearly an active aura - she even continued to fiddle with the trid projection in front of her.
Volker
bnc responds to Eliza, switching to written communication as Eliza did: <@Eliza <soka then dont do it. if u could bring my rotodrone however id be very much obliged>>

bnc grants Eliza access to her MCT-Nissan. It might come in handy one of these days, and it's easy to take along in a ... witch's hut. What a strange thing to think.

Although she looked forward to, bnc found it indeed difficult to separate her from the matrix access. There's only this one thing more to do. Only this one more message. Ah, and there is ...
Only when the access indeed fails, is she able to lean back. Wow. I never realized that I'm even hooked on that., she ponders. For a while, she just lays back, enjoying the strange sensation of this strange ride. Then, after recharging all of her drones, she walks over to Anna and engages in an almost hushed conversation.

Before the mages leave, she says. "I'm gonna scout the area from the physical."
When did this happen that you need to specify that you are moving in the physical realm? Something went horribly wrong in the last century. Well, a lot did...

She then leaves her physical body - a smile on her lips as if a very funny thought occured to her - and Jumps into her amazingly life-like dove drone.
Gilga
Anna seats comfortably and says "I am ready, and can hide myself I think. I do not want to distract you for sustaining an additional spell for me. ". She uses the power focus to disguise her aura as a similar plant spirit, and then turns off the power focus off, so that it is not visible on her form. She exits her body. Her face twiches a little bit as she enters leaves her body but then become peaceful. While already in her astral form she gasps "It feels like there are two of you.".

[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
"Be careful! Not that I need to tell you that..." Nova said, thinking Well, in Anna's case it actually might be necessary.

She stays in her quite comfortable chair for now.

"I can take a walk around the perimeter afterwards, if bnc did not spot anything suspicious."
Jack_Spade
The drone was dutyfully brought into action and bnc was able to enjoy some more bird's eye view of the lush suroundings. The little town of Todtnauberg lay just to the north, while the larger town Todtnau was to the south. People were moderately busy - most of them obviously trolls and orks but also quite a few dwarves. And of course there were tourists around, easily recognizable by their micro drones recording themselves having fun in gorgeous environment.
At least it wouldn't be hard to blend in here. Following the ARO, bnc found no-one crossing her path. The marked place was a well preserved old gas station with a large shed. "Häberle Maschinen" stood in large painted letters on its side. Next to it was a Restaurant that seemed to belong to Häberles as well.

Meanwhile, Anna found herself almost overwhelmed by the activity all around her. Natural spirits where all around them - most of them too small to be of significance - but also a surprising number of awakened creatures. A strange kind of rabbit and an equally strange fox type as well as unnaturally large boars.

Muhme went methodically in ever increasing spirals through the environment.
'Keep watch for a nexus of at least three ley lines. It has to be somewhere around here.'
Crossbow
Taurus is used to this kind of downtime, he has spent many hours waiting for principles to conduct their business. Since he doesn't have a charge to specifically watch, he uses the time to do firearms maintenance, and then settles into a book saved on his 'link. When people start to move around prior to arrival he puts away his stuff and simply waits, keeping his eyes open.
Gilga
Anna takes a brief moment to enjoy yet another breathtaking view. Then she follows the lay lines and tries to identify a nexus. Since she has a tendency to see patterns (even when there aren't any) she observes the lines and follows them more intuitively than methodically. Using the minor differences in color and background count to guesstimate where such a nexus would be.

[ Spoiler ]

Volker
bnc offers the others a live stream, although only Nova and Taurus will have time to watch it. For Anna, she shoots several pictures and sends them in the group channel.
She watches the store for a couple of minutes to determine obvious facts like whether it is opened or closed, whether there's a constant stream of customers, maybe who's running the business. Then she returns to the blimp.
Jack_Spade
The Häberle estate has a few people going in and out - most of them are Trolls. Otherwise, there is nothing suspicious going on.

Meanwhile, Muhme and Anna flitted round and round in the astral, following leylines here and there. Until finally they found a promissing crossing. Still, according to Muhme it wasn't enough - a single crossing didn't have enough power.
Anna felt her personal power draining - moving that long outside her body couldn't be healthy. Just as she was about to head back to her own body, she glimpsed something in the distance: A crossing of three, pretty potent streams. A collection of somehow pretty small buildings or huts surrounded the place and it seemed to be abandoned.

'This is it. let's return to our bodies and check the maps.' Muhme intoned.

Back in the hut, it took Anna a few minutes to make sense of what she had seen and where she had been - moving in circles around the area wasn't particularly conductive for her orientation.
Finally she found it: An abandoned summer camp
Gilga
"We have a place" Anna declares and shows the location on the team channel. She looks at the time, and then asks to be sure "how long were we away?". Since Anna does not normally exit her body for an extended time, she tries to figure out what her limitations are, considering she started feeling drained. She does not want to risk that.
Thanee
"Good. What are the next steps then?" Nova asked.
Volker
"Hours", bnc says, yawning. "Hours and hours."

bnc has spent much of the time in VR. In between, she actually went for a walk.

"Next will be intel, again, I presume. I'm flying."

If no objections come, bnc will send her Munin forth to the indicated place.
Jack_Spade
<<While bnc does that, you others could visit Hr. Häberle to receive your transports - and gain information on the local situation.>>
Eliza answered Nova.

The drone surveillance showed a collection of huts on a hill. Most of them were in bad repair and the whole place looked abandoned. Indeed there was a 2m high razor wire tipped fence around the place and an ARO described the place as a quarantaine zone.
Wildlife had reconquered the place - trees were sprouting on the road and weeds stood meter high everywhere.
Thanee
<< @Eliza: Sure, I can do that. Is it close enough to go by foot? Or should I take the bike? >>
Jack_Spade
<<Walking is in any case the better option - we have landed in a heavily wooded area with few good options to ride a conventional bike - that is something those transports will address. And yes, it's only about 3 km - but through pretty heavy terrain. Sorry - I selected the landing place with security in mind, not comfort.>>
Eliza answered
Thanee
<< @Eliza: That's fine. Security is more important than comfort, anyways. >>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012