Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [IP] Uncaring Stars
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]

The dwarf woke up looking confused - which turned instantly to a belingerent stare.
"Give me one good reason not to fry you to a crisp this very instant."
Thanee
Nova responded in a very calm voice.

"I am asking to be civil and that is your answer? Because, if you try that, my promise is moot. You will die then and I will not. Is that good enough reason for you? I'm not scared by your magic. I have seen much stronger mages. Vampires, even. And, yeah, they are dead now. And I'm still here."

"Let us try that again. We are NOT your enemy, girl. I do not want to kill you. But I will hesitate not for one second, if you force my hand."

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
"Civil? You sent a fragging bull man to kidnap me, kidnap... Carl and open fire on him when I try to rescue him. The last thing Domovoi showed me was him losing his grip on Carl 20 above the pavement and you open fire on me among a bunch of other people.
You can talk, but I certainly won't betray the brotherhood."

She replied frostily
Volker
[ Spoiler ]
<@team <dun. 2enter u need2press *2# simultaneously. if some1 enters the code the boy made4em, ill get a notification and a camshot. no Anna thats not the thing you luv tho it sounds similar>>

Thanee
"As I said, sorry that things escalated. The boy, Carl, made it safely to the ground. We do realize now, that you only wanted to help him. When we saw the spirit, it could have been anything. It could have meant, that the boy is getting killed. We did not want that. We were never shooting at him, only at the spirit. To save him, actually. Yeah, it might sound a little strange from your perspective."

"Anyways, that means you are, as we suspected all along, with the Lovci Stínu, correct? Did I pronounce that right? Probably not. What do you know about ley lines? Or the Horrors?"
Volker
"What she wants to say", James chimes in, "is that we're not on the same team, but we fight for the same cause. You kill vampires, so do we. You wanna save the world from demons, so do we. There's no reason to trust us, obviously, but that we tried to protect the boy from a spirit that took him and that I only used gel ammo to bring you down after you refused to talk to Taurus in a civil way, should give you a hint how we work. By the way, the bullman didn't try to kidnap you, but to fragging talk to you. I was the one who kidnapped you when talking failed and I concluded that we don't have the time to play hide-and-seek with potential allies for an extended time. Doesn't make it that much better, I know, but don't blame it on the meta if you don't must."
Gilga
She sighs and then says "I can enchant you for the pain if you want me to, you have been to a lot, this is not how we wanted things to go."
She'll cast the resist pain if the dwarf wishes to, and then continues, calmly trying to swing past resistance and tell the story differently.

"We did Carl a favor, he could have attracted a worse kind of attention - he was not as discreet as he thought. In fact, we were about to let him go, and only negotiated the terms of releasing his deck. About the spirit, I am sorry for disrupting the noble spirit but Carl was so terrified when it grabbed him... We could not just leave him to some unknown fate. We are after some very dangerous mages, and we only had a brief moment to decide. This is not how we wanted things to go... She pauses and after a short while
she adds " Look Lizzy, You are either a problem, or you are part of the solution, calm down and make up your mind. Our team is on a very tight clock, following the noble goal of preventing rouge mages from bringing the evil horrors into this realm. I am sure that you can appreciate this motivation. "
Jack_Spade
"I'd like to believe you. But that is also what a bunch of hired killers of the Krug would say to make me betray the others.
I'll tell you what you likely know anyway: The brotherhood fights the monsters of the night. The monsters have many connections and a lot of money. So if you want to fight them you must make sure they can't learn who you are. I received a tip, that some vampire witches are planning a ritual at the gallery. I asked my friend's nephew if he could open a door for me after dark, so I could go there to stop them.
I don't know what exactly they are planning - I was there to investigate, when I saw your mage assessing me. I left and was accosted by your bull man, calling out to the world that I am a vampire hunter. He might as well have painted a bullseye on me."
Thanee
"You want to stop them... alone? Are you out of your mind? You know what you are doing, obviously. That spirit of yours was not bad at all. But the last ritual team we stopped had three accomplished mages, spirits, and two kidnapped teenagers to sacrifice for power or whatever they are hoping for. Maybe we can show you some videos and news reports of what went down in germany a few days ago. There was a similar ritual site, and a similar threat. Maybe that will help you understand. We could even call one of the parents and ask them of their opinion. I'm pretty sure they are quite happy now, as opposed to grieving for their children, if we hadn't intervened."

Nova removed the blindfold.

"I assume, there is no need for this, anymore. Here, Carl."

Then she handed the backpack back to the boy.
Gilga
Anna briefly comments "Anna" when the dwarf mentions her name. She listens to the sides talking intently feeling that there is a breakthrough.

Jack_Spade
"No. As I told you I was examining the place. If you know what to do and when and where, you don't need to resort to shooting people. And now show me that so called evidence for your good deeds - preferably by telling me on which news site I can read about it."
The dwarf replied. The boy still kept his mouth shut, watching uncomfortably.
Volker
What on Earth is a rouge mage? A mage wearing rouge?
bnc is distracted for a split-second, then focusses on the conversation again, restraining herself from intervening too much. This was their faces' job, not their decker's. Until it became their decker's. When the dwarf asks for evidence, she provides it, and plenty thereof: links to newspaper articles, camera shots and footage she made herself. The map they drew. Voice recordings.

QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Nov 12 2020, 02:46 PM) *
"I left and was accosted by your bull man, calling out to the world that I am a vampire hunter. He might as well have painted a bullseye on me."
"Yeah, about that ... I didn't say he wasn't dumb. Just that he meant well. Nice one with the bullseye, by the way."
Crossbow
Taurus has been watching the interrogation silently, but he made a point of being in the line of sight when the dwarf could see again.

"So, you want to tell us about the razorboy and his girlfriend? Or are we supposed to keep pretending we don't know about them?"
Jack_Spade
The dwarf looked up from the material taking Taurus in for the first time: "No. But you may pretent what you want.
This material is a good start, but I'm far from convinced enough to tell you anything that could endanger someone else. It's bad enough, that you as good as published my identity. Prague is full of spies, agents and also cultists. The Krug is watching and if not they then someone else who makes their living by selling such information.
Speaking of: Who hired you to go to the Black Forrest and then to come here?"
Crossbow
"I mentioned your group in passing, you are the one who started screaming like a lunatic. We are not telling you everything while you hold cards we know you have. Who is the muscle? Where are they now? Do we need to worry about them trying an ill-conceived and poorly executed rescue as well?"

Taurus continues to glare at the dwarf alone.
Thanee
"We cannot tell you who our employer is, obviously, but I can tell you this much. It's someone that is non-corporate and concerned with the problems these ritualists might cause, if they are not stopped. I will ask, if a meeting can be arranged, if you are interested, though. How about you tell us something about that... Krug you mentioned a few times. Are they the ones that plan to perform the ritual at the gallery? Our main problem, and I guess the cause for the whole mess we got into with you and Carl, is that we know the time and location, but not much else. That is what we are trying to piece together at the moment. How can we convince you completely, that we are on the same side here?"
Volker
James turns towards Taurus, meeting his eyes. But bnc speaks through the team channel, not allowing our guests to witness the conversation.

"What were you thinking, Taurus? We all tried to engage in this as secretly as possible and you just run up to them and blurt out their identity in open space? This is the second time you endanger all of us. Can you not confer with us before you act foolhardishly on your own? Initiative is to be praised, but recklessness is not."
Jack_Spade
Lizzy looked grimmly at Taurus: "You asked loud enough for everyone to hear if I am a Vampire Hunter. And when I denied, you doubled down. Calling you a would be rapist was the only thing I could think of in this moment to get you to back off, since subtle social cues didn't seem to work. And if you don't want to get ambushed and gunned down for no reason at all, your best chance would be to let me an Carl go."
She turned to Nova: "Alright, I can tell you about the Krug. Translated it means "circle". It's what I call a certain cabal of vampires, that I suspect are behind the increased disappearance of homeless people.
I haven't seen any of them so far, but I managed to get glimpses of their astral signature here and there. They are all at least sorcerers, at least one is a full mage and/or a mystic adept. They have killed quite a few Vampire Hunters over the last years - them and their families. Getting suspected as one is almost as good as a death sentence.
The Krug have always dabbled in dark magic and blood magic. I received a message from a trusted source, that they will be preparing a ritual at the gallery when there is a mana spike through the leyline there. Since this is my specialty, I was asked to take a look at it and see what this is likely about. The surprising thing is, that the original leyline is health aspected. But inside the gallery, the mana is turned dark. My best guess is, that the Krug is trying to get rid of their allergies to sunlight and silver."
Gilga
Anna commented about the mana "It may have something to do with that awful statue, perhaps they got it into the exhibition ahead of time to facilitate the ritual?"
[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
"At this point, I see no danger in letting you go, so yes, you are free to go. You are, obviously, not working with our enemy, but against them. I guess, we should at least get you somewhere, where it is a bit easier to get back into the city, though. It's the least we can do. We will definitely do something about that ritual. It seems a much better idea to coordinate our efforts, instead of hindering each other."
Jack_Spade
Lizzy nodded at Anna's remark: "Yes, that was my impression as well. Had Carl not been discovered he would have been supposed to find out more about the statue as well. Me too for that matter.

Alright. Since you already had my link and therefore my number, you could return the favor. I'll research what you have shown me some more - if it pans out I'll get in contact with you."

[ Spoiler ]
Volker
bnc/James just barely restrained herself from rubbig her forehead when she learns that Taurus's move possibly sentenced one of those few ambitioned men who, in a world like the Sixth, fought against evil, to death.

"You can reach us over the 'link from which I sent you evidence of our earlier action. My name is bnc."
James reaches her his hand.
<@team <i know it mite b dangerous but i think we can give carl his stuff back. itd be a display of trust>>
"We have a decker, a mage, and two muscles. We're also apt in B&E. Can we support you in accomplishing what we kept you from doing?"
How many, do you suppose, members does the Krug have? Do you know where to find them?
Jack_Spade
"I don't know - at least not for sure. A typical number in such cabals would be 5 - but it easily could be 7 just as well - or 13. Certainly not more than that, unless there were a lot more attacks on people that no-one is aware off."
Lizzy replied.
Crossbow
>>I think I am beginning to see why Sharkboy took a walk, count yourself lucky I am a lot more professional.

I did not intend to threaten the dwarf's life, had I known that the group that had been hired by the city in an official capacity was not culturally acceptable to be spoken of in public I wouldn't have approached them as such. I did not paint a target on her, that is her paranoia, I spoke to her.

I am taking a 'bad cop' role here, since you all seem to be tripping over yourselves to believe this person, who has still not given us any reason to trust her. NONE. It is a role though and I would have thought you understood that.

Going back to my actions, have you been putting your online activities up to a group vote before acting? I am a walking target, it is my job to act with expediency and take hits meant for others. That means I assess a situation and then I act, just like you do.

Volker
"Actually, yes, Taurus. Unless split-seconds did matter, I asked for your go every single time. Especially before breaking the Masquerade. If you're a pro, please, don't get personal but rather try to work with us as a team, not a gang of solos."

"With increased capacities, do you deem an attack on them sensible?"
Thanee
Nova also introduced herself.

<< @bnc: I actually already gave him his backpack like two minutes ago. >>
Gilga
Anna comments >> Yes, give Carl his toy back. @bnc I was surprised too about how being outed as a 'vampire hunter' means you are on the run. I mean, there are open bounties for vampires back home.
Volker
<@team <that was indeed unforeseeable. im angry bc he/u exposed us & our participation in this thing. we had the adv. of surprise>>
Crossbow
Taurus will take the anger he is feeling right now and try to use it constructively. He will be visibly more angry and tense as he stares a hole in the dwarf. Anyone close to him can hear his teeth grinding.

>>When this is done, we will have a conversation about our roles and responsibilities.
Volker
<@all <fine by me>>
Gilga
Anna listens to the conversation, but makes no attempt to take any side between bnc and Taurus. Instead she tries to make up her mind if she trusts Lizzy and Carl. Things seem to fit their info, but sometimes things are not what they appear to be. Then again, the recent chain of events seems very random too random to fake it.

Might I ask what were you planning to do at the gallery? Clearly you did not plan to face possibly 13 vampire mages all alone.
Jack_Spade
"I told you - I was reconneutering the place - a task that I couldn't finish by the way. I had the vague idea of sabotaging the leyline at a critical moment and make the ritualists enjoy some backlash."
Lizzy replied, still a bit acidly, but all in all friendlier than before.
Thanee
"As I said before, sorry for how it all went down. I hope, you understand our position as well. Either way, we are going to stop the ritual and would be happy to hear from you, so we won't hinder each other. Other than that, I believe we are running in circles here, so let's just part with that for now. We can put our energy into way more useful things than this."
Jack_Spade
"On that I can agree." Lizzy replied. "As I said, I'll research the information that you have given me and contact you again if I come to the conclusiont that this isn't an elaborate setup to infiltrate and destroy the Hunters."

Thanee
"Right. Guess we'll hear from you soon then. See ya."
Volker
"Vše nejlepší! Uvidíme se!"
[ Spoiler ]
Crossbow
Taurus will watch the dwarf and the boy leave, then turn to look at bnc, he never changes expression.
Gilga
Anna waves, and then once the dwarf leaves says "These vampires do not sound so easy to handle, for once the hunters are afraid of the vampires rather than the other way around. Fighting in the gallery would put us at a disadvantage as the statue will make their magic stronger and mine weaker, so we need to be very smart about it."
Volker
James turns towards Taurus, ignoring tactical talk for the moment.

"So, what is is you'd like to discuss?"
Thanee
"It sounds like those vampires have a pretty strong position here, which makes them scary, of course, as that gives them more confidence. You would be pretty dumb, to not at least give them a healthy dose of respect."
Crossbow
"When we started working together, I made it clear that I came from a more structured and professional environment. I was told that we wouldn't be functioning that way so I have done my best to use my talents to the benefit of the mission. I do expect though, that at a minimum I can count on you for respect and professional courtesy, to include having my back against others. If that is a problem for you we need to address it here and now, so I know what to expect of you and I will not be caught off guard again."
Volker
bnc lets that think in for a split-second (an eternity for her), then James replies in the same formal manner: "I understand that my indication of disapproval in front of a possible ally can be regarded as a breach of etiquette, and apologize. I'd like to point to point out, however, that my frustration persists. You are right, unfortunately, that we lack a proper command structure. Would that it were different - I tried to establish such structures, and not with me on the top, if that's what you fear.
Given that at neither Anna, nor, I believe though I didn't ask specifically, Nova appear to be inclined to integrate themselves into such structures, there is a need to find a modus operandi that comes closest to a structure. The minimum requirement for that, I believe, is to double-check actions that might or are going to drastically change our situation with the team. Charging off without coordination, outing us or allies in public and such are things you should not do on your own. That said, I am going to show you the proper respect, but I expect you to do the same - id est, including us in decisions that affect us."

James' voice is perfectly calm and polite. There is no hint of sarcasm or sneer in it, but also no affection.
Crossbow
"Well, here is the problem with that line of thought. I did talk about making contact with them and the only response I got before you all ran off was that you, personally, wouldn't be good at it. Apparently I am supposed to, by that logic, put your authority over my actions which we have never determined previously, and by your displeasure at your own inadequacy, do nothing. Sorry, I couldn't read your mind, but that isn't going to happen."

Taurus is not threatening anyone, but he is angry.

"Apparently I am not only supposed to be a mind reader, but I am also supposed to understand some niche fear that a vampire hunter is something bad in Croatia, when I have no reason to know that. I said we should make contact, in my position as the walking target, I assumed it would be me doing it unless someone else volunteered. I pulled the trigger, it went badly, shit happens. If you catch a bad break doing whatever it is you do on the web, I am not going to hang you out to dry, we just deal with the cards as they fall."
Volker
James neutral expression turns into a glare. "You know, Anna, why I keep bullying people? Because everytime I try being civil, one of those drekheads will be sure to try and bully me.

Now, listen, you dim-witted piece of muscle. First, keep your fucking passive-aggressiveness for yourself. That suits a twelve years old girl and not a shadowrunner. If you refuse to be professional and keep your petty insults to yourselves, then at least don't try to mask them like one gay dandelion eater. If you lack the self-control to be civil, don't try to make it up with brains you don't have.
Second, we're in the fucking Czech republic. How the fuck do you presume to make decisions if you can't keep track of the run?
Third, you were not being critized for outing the vampire hunters but for outing us. I feel like talking to a stubborn youth, really. You have no idea what the grown-ups are talking about but you just talk back because you feel you must.
Fourth, you don't need to be a fragging mind reader if you understand the term "shadow them unnoticed" - which was the current approach in discussion.
And fifth - can you not just fill your role? They are the faces, you are the muscle, I'm the decker. They do the talking, you do the shooting, I do the decking. Is that so fragging incomprehensible?"
Gilga
Anna tries to concentrate, though she struggles with the heated debate between James and Alex. She says "We need some sort of plan, or equalizer. Perhaps we can rig the place with gas grenades and trigger them when the ritual starts? I am not much of a planner but brute force seems a bit of a starch in this particular case."

Looking at Taurus and James she comments When you lovebirds finish the foreplay, we'll appreciate your thoughts on how to finish the job
Crossbow
"Being a bully is pretending like you are a badass when you are really weak, I am not bullying anyone, and I am certainly not weak. That is something you should really remember the next time your remote-controlled mouth insults people."

Taurus turns to Anna, as well as Nova, and replies, "I appriciate this attempt try and mitigate this conflict, but your input at this point is required. I am not moving forward without an understanding of how things are going to operate. If you two believe I am simply a hired gun for you to point at people, I can take that role, with everything that entails. If not, then you need to deal with this situation as it stands, because I will not going to sit here and be a verbal punching bad for an overpriced tinkertoy and let that be the end of it."
Thanee
Nova sighed. Then she tried real hard not to laugh at the constant mentioning of bullying in context with a minotaur. With her level of self-contol, she managed that pretty well.

"Alright. My point of view. We are all equals here. This is not a corporation. We all took the job, noone is above anyone else. Everyone should work as part of a team and do what they can to help each other and ensure the success of the mission. Now, I tend to accept when another person's expertise in a given situation is above my own, like Anna knows more about magic and bnc knows more about what is going on in the 'trix. So, if they think something has to work a certain way, they probably have a good reason for it, when it comes to their area of expertise. Does that mean they are always right? Certainly not. Tasks should be assigned to those best-suited for them. That is not always possible, but it is the ideal we should strive for. That thing in the gallery, it happened. We cannot turn back time. Noone really understood the reverberations of it back then as we do now. Obviously, these hunters have a pretty hard time here, so it is understandable, that Lizzy didn't take that too well. I guess, we should just all try to be a bit more subtle with situations like these in the future. No point in dwelling on it. Learn from it, that's what mistakes are for. The ones you still live afterwards, that is."

"One more thing, bnc, did it ever occur to you, that when there is some tension, it always involves you? I'm not saying here, that anything of this is your fault. But you really have a talent to get yourself into these kinds of messes, girl."
Gilga
Anna sighs impatiently, but she takes a deep breath and speaks her mind without any form of judgement "bnc is a control freak, she needs order and works best with a plan. She gathers data, orders it neatly, analyzes it, establishes team channels and examines the teams equipment. She looks for the team first and tries to get it working as a whole, but she lacks the social skills to make following her lead pleasant. Which explains why the conflicts are always with bnc. She tries to fill a role that she technically can do - but we cannot let her do because of the way she makes us feel.

Nova and myself are a lot more social, but we are more improvisers, we adjust within the situation and are more comfortable when someone else has a masterplan. Taurus is inflexible from a lifetime under managers that all received the same training, and follow the etiquette, patterns and rules of the cooperate world. He is used to well defined roles, and sets of responsibilities, and to rules, discipline and commitments. He probably sees us as a bunch of misfits that cannot hold a real job.

Taurus you are not a bodyguard, you play a very lucrative, and dangerous game you do not punch a clock, there is no need to trap you in a strict definition of what you can and should be doing. bnc there are was to critique that allow you to make your point more briefly and with less friction. Use them in the future or at least let me enchant you before you enter a volatile situation that distracts us from what we should be doing to how we all feel about one another.

We are very different people but we are in the same boat together, friction between us is inevitable. There is a real problem at hand, and we need to be talking about ambushes and vampires rather than bicker about who is better at their job."
Volker
Somewhere, in the safehouse, bnc stirs and applies a silvery patch to her neck. She sighs in relief, unheard, then James replies in a calm, even relaxed way.

"We don't bicker around who's doing their job better. He's doing his job better, I'm doing my job better. There's no question about that. Again, it's also not about him revealing the vampire hunters, though I would argue that outing people who are working in secret usually is a bad idea, if we wouldn't have more important discussions at hand.
We're not being on the run, so we can take five minutes to sort out social dynamics here.

Yes, Nova, I'm aware that it always involves me, and has, long before you joined our group. And the answer is what Anna says: Because someone must care for the team and not just improvise their way through a fucking shadowrun. You act like all that counts is your own performance and whether we as a team go to hell doesn't matter drek. Reckless actions have put us into danger more than once, and you leave the drek for me to address. Frag, that would be your task. You're the faces. Socials is your responsibility. I'm jumping in because you're not doing your job. Do it, and I'm more than happy to just shut the fuck up. But do it properly. Being a face doesn't always mean to just smile, ignore issues until a tower with horns forces you to take up position, and pet everybody's feelings. It's also about showing presence, and stand in for something.
Oh, and by the way, that also affects myself, too. I know I fucked up pretty well, too. As, for example, when I announced us to the first set of blood mages before you were on site. Or maybe it was even a bad idea to kidnap Lizzy, I don't know. Confront me. Push me back. Do your goddamn job."

James cranes his neck and rolls his shoulders, but doesn't stop speaking, still in a quite but relaxed voice.

Now, Taurus, I said it and I'll say it again. I don't see myself above you. But I also don't see you above me, and at the moment, you're acting it. I apologized for insulting you in front of Lizzy, then tried to discuss this in a very civil and polite manner. It says a lot about your character that you replied with more insults, and would probably bite your dick off before you'd apologize to anyone. Fine by me, keep your pride if you must. I'm above this kind of pettiness. Let's move on. I will agree to keep insults to myselves and doublecheck with the team before I do any rash actions, if you do the same. And that goes for you, too, chicas. I want your word on it."
Crossbow
Taurus looks utterly confused "This would be me insulting you, for future reference, you are a complete headcase and you need a lot of therapy as well as needing to learn just a bit more social ability than a malaria carrying mosquito. You drove off the face that you had for the team, no one else here really qualifies. Now that you have that straight, and I know I am not the only one who is annoyed with you, I think we can move on."

The minotaur shook off the look and straightened his clothes, "So it is said, though I couldn't have possibly known this and don't really think it happened, I am sorry if approaching the dwarf was a bad move. And I really don't like it that you all seem convinced that she is suddenly helping us, but since that was the original goal, I will go along with it."

"I am not opposed to a brute force approach, it worked pretty well the last time. No offense to Anna, but when the mage is dead it is hard to do magic."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012