Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charm City [OOC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
sunnyside
There is very little cannon information about Baltimore in Shadowrun.

John Hopkins moved out, the elven Ancients moved in, and the Orioles stuck around.
Ares Arms, the military hardware subsidiary of Ares Macrotechnology, is headquartered in Baltimore.

So I feel I've got a fair bit of license for Baltimore in alternate 2070.

The name Charm City came from the 1974 when the city was literally a flaming pile of garbage, with strikes by garbage collectors and police among others. The mayor wanted to reframe the image after that, and emphasize the charm of the highly variable communities in the city. The name stuck, maybe ironically, but it stuck. It's even moreso the case in 2070 that things can change dramatically going around a corner in Baltimore.

But while sometimes it feels like Baltimore just can't get clean no matter what, it has benefited greatly by the breakup of the old USA at least monetarily. The loss of land to the CAS and NAN meant that suddenly Baltimore found itself the nearest major port for most of the UCAS, via the Panama and Nicaraguan canals, to a newly ascendent Japan as well as Azetlan. Soon the old docks were more active than ever and construction was surging as megacorp skyscrapers shot up into the air.

But Baltimore politicians swore to stand up for the locals, and maybe they tried, in their way, with rent control, tenants rights, squatters, and red tape about blocking roads or utilities. Unable to just knock down old buildings, a lot of political wrangling resulted in a strange compromise. Corporations couldn't easily tear down old buildings, but they could reinforce them, add columns, external elevators, and rebar like prison bars around them, and build up.

The terms "uptown" and "downtown" have taken on a new meaning to refer to these different levels in much of the city. In better neighborhoods the lower levels are usually doing fine, but as you get towards worse neighborhoods isn't too uncommon to find one abandoned by the previous landlord who would have torn it down if they could have. For outsiders, the stereotypical Baltimore building is a three story brick house full of squatters and punks, and topped by gleaming corporate glass with skywalks reaching out to it's neighbors. The lower and upper levels in such a case would definitely not be connected. The corporations have found this to generally improve security. Even new construction will often have a low security "downtown" and a high security "uptown". Particularly since retail requires letting people in easily and the city requires low income housing and public amenities.

So where are the bad neighborhoods? Well, worse anyway? Prior to the awakening Baltimore had a phenomenon called the "white L" and the "black butterfly" that would show up in various ways.

White L:
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images...pg?resize=980:*

Black Butterfly (see the wings?)
https://i.insider.com/57ab7699ce38f231008b5...g&auto=webp

See also: https://peter-horton.com/2022/05/06/baltimo...butterfly-maps/

In the sixth world the butterfly goblinzied, with Orcs rapidly becoming the main underclass, and the "L" was taken over primarily by the megacorporations.

There's a brief area where the two overlap, previously known as Staton North ( https://goo.gl/maps/S6Z5xBz16c5LpZg2A ) which described itself as "an edgy arts district full of DIY exhibit spaces, many doubling as live venues for local punk and indie bands. Murals and public artworks dot the streets, and former warehouses like the CopyCat Building house artists’ studios, galleries and performance spaces."

This relatively high demand but low cost area is where Ares Arms created their "uptown" headquarters, interlinking their new upward expansions to create what is usually called the Ares Arch-ology for it's sheer interconnected size.

The area underneath now relies almost entirely on artificial lighting. This at first had a depressing effect, but, the city planners must have figured, if life gives you a cyperpunk dystopia add neon and nightlife and a better name. The area is now advertised as "Shadow City" playing on the popularity of Shadowrunner trid shows of the time. The locals mostly groaned at the influx of tourists. However it has created a space where East side Orcs and West Side Orcs as wells as Shadowrunners and Mr. Johnsons can meet under the camouflage of pretenders. Ares heavily enforces any gunfire or magic use from their position above, but otherwise doesn't seem to much care what happens below.

The city hasn't changed much in terms of streets or neighborhoods. Due to rent control and tax reasons most stores and restaurants keep their names at all costs. So a "Deli" might actually be a gun store. But at least maps don't go out of date!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...orhoods_map.png

Extra detail on Baltimore neighborhoods:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...t&p=1363702

Security in Baltimore
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...t&p=1363703

Current characters
Tubesnake
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...t&p=1363627
Selina
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...t&p=1363535
Quick Willie and Bongo
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...t&p=1363528

FLatline
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...t&p=1363626

Lenny
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...t&p=1366249

Angel 316
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...t&p=1039236
sunnyside
Characters:

This is a game set in Baltimore, AKA Charm City. Due to smaller numbers of players here and to allow more roleplaying in an online format I'm planning to allow players to have two characters. Origionally I'd thought people would make characters set in the city, and get to do some worlbuilding detailing out the neighborhood they're from. That's still an option, with standard 4a build rules for a starting character. However other folks have already made characters, or might just want to make a character from elsewhere. Part of the competence and fun of the game is having characters who know the streets and their denizens. To balance that, out of towners get a 10 BP/20 Karma disadvantage. This should be bought off if your character stays in Baltimore long enough.

I've had a campaign get pretty dark which I didn't like. But I appreciate that it does constrain your characters some if they aren't just leveling buildings when convenient or poisoning the water supply to get their target. So to sweeten passing out constraints you also get a 10 BP/20 karma disadvantage of basic street ethics. This is much less limiting than the pacifism disadvantage. Your character avoids killing, at least of civilians/innocents/kids, no rape, stuff like that. They also have a 5 bp/10 karma compulsion disadvantage towards heroism. It isn't that strong, but it sneaks in there every now and then when the stars align. This can seem a little unproffessional in some shadowrunner circles, so certain types of characters may want to make some anti-hero excuses to themselves or others for their behavior should this come up.

Finally characters get a 5 bp compulsion disadvantage to follow some character building guidelines I've long found useful to keep play moving and keep it fun for the whole group. But for your character they're just good ways to stay alive and relevant. Hey, you just got some extra BP/karma to use, and, as this is the GM's idea, these disadvantages do not count toward the limit of disadvantages a character may start with.

1. It's called "Shadowrun." Your character should be able to shadow and run. More specifically your character, in this edition, should be able to get a dice pool of 8 for shadowing and inflitration to have a decent chance at it or to just buy a pair of successes and keep things moving. They should also be able to outrun corporate security (athletics group 3, strength 3, 1 IP). Note that having your friendly hacker set up a tacnet can get a fairly easy +2 for infiltration and shadowing, and there are a bunch of drugs to put a little pep in your step. Magic users have a fair number of options. Just have a plan if your character can't manage it straightforwardly.
2. Your character should be a "triple threat." Able to do something useful and fun during legwork, during the quite part of a mission, and during the loud part of a mission.
3. Everybody should be able to communicate subvocally as a team. This one's particularily easy in this edition.

I also provide a couple freebees as follow.

1. Two free contacts, each with a combined connection and loyalty rating equal to your characters charisma (so with charisma 4 one could have a connection 3 loyalty 1 contact and a connection 2 loyalty 2 contacts, for example).

2. One additional free contact for each purely RP related knowledge skill ( i.e. Hong Kong action movies). The combined loyalty and connection ratings equal the rating of the knowledge skill, and the knowledge skill is how you'd come to know each other.

Players new to Baltimore could wait a bit to roleplay meeting some new friends in town, but you'd still get to "pick" them. Alternatively, even if you're new to town these could be folks your character knew from before or knows virtually.

3. If characters have "building" skills I let them have half off on gear they could have made up to a value of their (logic+relevant skill) x 10k nuyen. For example a hacker with logic 4 and software 4 would only need to pay 40k for the first 80k of programs, but then full price after that.

I do allow the option of breaking skillgroups(i.e. raising a group to 4 and then an individual skill to six). I have the standard set of rulebooks (SR4a, Arsenal, Augmentation, Unwired, Street Magic, Runners Companion). I'll be rusty with the rules though. I'm quite tolerant if you're less familiar with the 4a rules, particularly if you want to try out being a hacker or something like that.

To keep things simple the only house rule outside of chargen I'll use is restricting the spirit power search to LOS, as in a previous edition. Being able to find anything pretty easily breaks too many plots (and would probably get your characters swiftly caught).
pbangarth
Thanks, sunnyside. I'll refresh Bongo Slade (phys ad entertainer) and Quick Willie (street sam and driver) to conform to your guidelines, and post here.

I'm in the middle of a three day sheep herding clinic, so I will be back to this in a couple of days.

Awesome setup. I love maps, and your description of the city has all kinds of possibilities. I myself know next to nothing of Baltimore, so I might make my two as newbies to the city.
pbangarth
So, for my newbies to Baltimore, I want to pass by you the Knowledge skills that might conform to your GM bonus contact rule. I leave out skills with rating 1, and skills that apply to other places (eg. Seattle, Toronto). Do these work for you?

Quick Willie

Combat Bike circuit 3
Orksploitation trideo 2
Ork Underground entry points 4 (there might be something/someone in Baltimore?)
Goblin Rock 3

Most of those look like hooks to meet someone in a bar and bond over beers.

Bongo Slade

Music theory (composition) 4(+2)
Baltimore music scene 2
Musical drum design 2
Gaia theory 2

Music shops? Performances? Book stores (assuming not too archaic - maybe adjunct to a talismonger shop)?
sunnyside
The Orc underground one was a practical skill. Like bongo's fame it's meant to be covered by the out of town disadvantage.

However Toronto Music Scene 2 was presumably never a practical skill. So that would be usable to make a friend interested in the scene up north.
Koekepan
I'm sort of considering this - I'd probably only run one character, and give it some thought. I've never been in Baltimore, though in the region on various occasions.

I have the 4A books, so I think I'll be on target there. Do you have any particular needs for your campaign, and do you have any biases? (I'm not considering anything outlandish, so don't feel constrained on my behalf.)
pbangarth
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jun 21 2023, 04:27 PM) *
I'm sort of considering this - I'd probably only run one character, and give it some thought. I've never been in Baltimore, though in the region on various occasions.

I have the 4A books, so I think I'll be on target there. Do you have any particular needs for your campaign, and do you have any biases? (I'm not considering anything outlandish, so don't feel constrained on my behalf.)

Come on, Koekepan! The last campaign we played in died 5 hours into game time. Let's make this one last.

Oh! And you've already played those five hours with Quick Willie. Won't that be fun? (Especially since the Initiative rules aren't skewed in favour of his speed.)
pbangarth
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Jun 21 2023, 02:03 PM) *
The Orc underground one was a practical skill. Like bongo's fame it's meant to be covered by the out of town disadvantage.

However Toronto Music Scene 2 was presumably never a practical skill. So that would be usable to make a friend interested in the scene up north.

OK, thanks.
Koekepan
I'm definitely considering this. Might be a technician. An urban environment like that has to be full of tunnels and conduits and access points and telemetry and things to even work, let alone be remotely comfortable. That should meet the triple threat.

Maybe a plumber/dronemaster?
sunnyside
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jun 21 2023, 08:02 PM) *
I'm definitely considering this. Might be a technician. An urban environment like that has to be full of tunnels and conduits and access points and telemetry and things to even work, let alone be remotely comfortable. That should meet the triple threat.

Maybe a plumber/dronemaster?

That does sound like an interesting take on such a character.

I already laid out a number of biases above, but we could use a hacker and a technician/dronemaster is already going to be most of the way there (especially with the freebies). People can be skittish about that, but as I mentioned I'm up for hand holding a while, and part of the reason I like 4a is it is, arguably of course, the peak of practical hacking. Lots of relatively easy to hack wireless things versus rarely getting to plug a cyberdeck into some murderbox. Also, especially with the freebies, all you need is a datajack, two skill groups, and something in the ballpark of 12BP of gear.
Koekepan
I'll read through the rules again (been a little while for 4A) and see where it takes me. But I like the idea. Pencil me in.

While we're spitballing, what's the intended view on metahumans? I'm not thinking anything outlandish, but for the character concept a dwarf could work (vision especially, in areas where lights are out for maintenance) and so could elf (wriggling through ducts most metas couldn't fit).
pbangarth
Willie is an ork.
Koekepan
So, I've been thinking about this milieu:

If the nature of the new Downtown is rather layered, and enclosed, it seems as if it might be difficult to send a large vehicle like a work truck down its streets. Is this so? If it's not true, and a big ol' Bulldog van can trundle along without difficulty (trash piles and metahuman debris regardless) then the follow-up question is: can one fit a facility for dealing with modest-sized drones in a work van, or can it only fit a workshop? Conversely, would there be some guidelines on what sort of facility size and/or power restrictions could be sorted out? The examples in the book run over things like a vehicle maintenance facility that obviously would have to incorporate systems like lifts and areas large enough to paint panels, but by the same logic a workshop for jewelry could fit into a space smaller than a TEU.

GM's call, is what this looks like to me.
sunnyside
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jun 21 2023, 11:47 PM) *
While we're spitballing, what's the intended view on metahumans? I'm not thinking anything outlandish, but for the character concept a dwarf could work (vision especially, in areas where lights are out for maintenance) and so could elf (wriggling through ducts most metas couldn't fit).

Orks have territory where they're by far the predominant race in the butterfly "wings" and may be under suspicion of being in a gang elsewhere. The rest is fairly standard for Shadowrun.

Dwarves need a little extra help with running. There are lots of ways to do it and a character might well have them without any extra consideration. Though I note that raptor legs would also help negotiating spaces without proper ladders and such or for hanging upside down while working on something. Skimmer discs in the feet seem to defy physics, but there they are in the rules. (Both augmentation)

QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jun 22 2023, 07:46 PM) *
So, I've been thinking about this milieu:

If the nature of the new Downtown is rather layered, and enclosed, it seems as if it might be difficult to send a large vehicle like a work truck down its streets. Is this so? If it's not true, and a big ol' Bulldog van can trundle along without difficulty (trash piles and metahuman debris regardless) then the follow-up question is: can one fit a facility for dealing with modest-sized drones in a work van, or can it only fit a workshop? Conversely, would there be some guidelines on what sort of facility size and/or power restrictions could be sorted out? The examples in the book run over things like a vehicle maintenance facility that obviously would have to incorporate systems like lifts and areas large enough to paint panels, but by the same logic a workshop for jewelry could fit into a space smaller than a TEU.

GM's call, is what this looks like to me.

Generally the roads are what they are now, with sidewalks having some more obstacles.

The idea of a facility as I read it is that it has big expensive machinery (100k worth) needed to do modifications. Like needing a whole kiln for a little pot.

However what might save you a lot of nuyen is the GM explicitly gets to decide on a case by case basis whether you can get by with a shop (the equipment for which can fit in a vehicle) or kit and what the penalties would be. So maybe you'd do better with a CNC machine, a high frequency induction heater, a hydraulic press, and a nice drill press to modify some parts, but if it's a drone you might well be able to get by taking turns with a few Dremels, a blowtorch, and some elbow grease with a hammer.
Koekepan
OK, on the basis of that (very useful information), let me narrow the field of inquiry to see if we can get the best answer:

I'm thinking that a technician with a mobile facility gets to save on lifestyle costs (because otherwise maintaining a facility is a nontrivial lifestyle drain) but obviously that only works if you can fit the tools, and the subject of construction and maintenance, into the vehicle. Mobile facilities also have the advantage that they can, well, pack up and move.

I'm pretty sure that a van could fit the gear to construct a microdrone. Tiny lathes, spot welders, dentist-sized air tools, soldering systems, no problem. Given a few sheets and blocks of suitable raw materials on hand, and a knowledgeable technician could build one, or new parts for one, from scratch.

I even feel pretty good about a minidrone in this context. The whole damn drone could sit on a barstool-sized workbench while the technician goes to work.

A small drone, which is pretty much a backpackable device, should still be viable inside a step van, especially if there are hooks so that it can be suspended for work from all angles. This size is additionally relevant when we consider that this is the probable size of many utility drones for things like running cables through conduits, repairing cracked walls from the inside, crawling along pipes and so on.

Medium drones are, according to the Arsenal book, between the size of a large dog and a motorcycle. I could well see a GM complaining about considering a stepvan being a facility for motorcycle-sized drones (although I'd personally see something the size of an alsation or rottweiler being specified, constructed, assembled and maintained in a stepvan).

Large drones are pretty obviously outside the scope.

So now the secondary question is: let's assume that a properly appointed stepvan can be used as a facility for drones up to size small, allowing for everything from forming plates (with a hydraulic press) to painting (with an air compressor), to machining (3D printing, lathe, drill press, etc.) to electronics work (oscilloscope, antistatic workbench, soldering tools etc.) - could the same stepvan be considered to be a workshop for drones of size medium and large? Many of the tools would be darn near identical, with the major difference being the available space, and in some cases scale of tooling.

Here's the next question (and I apologise if I seem to be min-maxerish here, but I want to make sure that there are no misunderstandings): let's imagine that, instead of a stepvan, there's a vehicle with a nice, big trailer. Say, a 28 foot trailer with plenty of headroom, under-floor storage and all the trimmings. By itself, it's just packed, and not really a place of work, but given an abandoned lot and an hour to open the doors and set up, it could be the nexus of what amounts to a facility, complete with jacks, pneumatic and hydraulic and electric tooling, supplies of paint and pipe and sheet materials and so on.

Would that work? Would that save money? I don't see why it wouldn't, but I'd like to hear what the GM thinks.

All this revolves around the idea of a dronemaster technician with a boatload of skills (yeah, you can see where the build points will go) and a good chunk of money in initial equipment (because if drones go in first, they get shot up first).

If on the other hand the GM makes the call that a facility, for reasons of the limitations of machinery, effectively has to be a building, that's fine too but then I'd slant the spending a different way.

A different take on it could be that the facility is itself a really large, custom drone (which makes sense from the perspective of having machinery do materials handling without having a technician bending over a toxic stew of materials). This saves a lot of space because now you don't really need space for a human being to move around the maintenance subject - but does that appreciably raise the cost of the facility?

Alternatively, we could take the approach that a facility isn't worth it, but a workshop totally is. Possibly even a couple of workshops wrapped into one context. What sort of general limitations might I expect between workshop and facility? In the rulebooks, the difference appears to be manufacturing (if you're talking about cyberware) and the assumption that a facility contains really heavy, bulky machinery (which doesn't make a lot of sense if you're constructing tarantula drones for Hallowe'en). Other than that, perhaps just a B/R bonus or penalty on particular jobs? This is roughly what I read from your post, but I want to be sure that I didn't misapprehend anything.
sunnyside
So your phrasing is a bit off in spots.

Facilities, shops, and kits are always the same size and cost. Though you need space sufficient to fit the vehicle or drone you're working on. The primary purpose of the desktop forges is to be able to use high tech to have the same capabilities in a smaller space. So a large desktop forge would be how to get the portable facility capability you're speaking of (and yes you'd want some extra space to work if you intended to work on something particularly large.)

However that might be overkill because what does change with the size of what you're working in is whether you need a facility, shop, or kit.

For example a minidrone rack takes a kit, while a large drone rack takes a shop. All repairs only take a shop. Getting the freebie bonus would similarly only take a shop for drones as your character fixes up busted ones, builds out from kits, and occasionally manufactures a part.

Now there are specific mods in Arsenal that require a facility. That's the case by case thing, but for smaller drones it's more likely there won't be much of a penalty involved and you'll be able to do most mods. Maybe if you're encasing something in sci-fi magic or trying to do zany Rigger 3 R&D you might be stuck or need a particular addition.

I think what might be the solution you're looking for is the small desktop forge. Easily fitting into a van and leaving you room to work and maybe actually store some drones in these and have a minifridge as some other amenities if you're looking to stay there.

The rules sort of cover using a vehicle for lifestyle under amenities and also what you're talking about otherwise under the workshop mod. However they're quite confusing about the desktop forge entry. It's written quite poorly. But maybe it really is saying that you can mod a vehicle to have a large desktop forge for only two slots and a third the price of a stand alone unit? Maybe I'll just allow that crazyness, though for that option you'd need to take the advantage to start with gear over the typically allowed availability and have some story about how they got something so hot.

If your character is an out of towner, that might be a reason why they're looking to relocate.

For a small desktop forge you just get one and latch it down somewhere inside. Maybe put a tablecloth and a lamp on it if you have company.

Desktop forges have the issue of getting that powder. However they also solve the issue of needing different kits/workshop for doing different things. Though for sanity perhaps I'd rule that they'd have some CNC like capabilities beyond the powder, so for some mods and repairs you don't need the powder, and occasionally you'll need a particular part or at least chemical for non-metalic mods (like the one giving anthroforms a humanlike face). Alternatively we could play it RAW and it always uses powder and we figure the powder, behind the scenes, comes in a bunch of types for different things you'd dream up.
Koekepan
OK, I'm fine with a RAW where a facility is always like my local machineshop, which is basically a barn-sized building which can run an excavator on a gantry crane down the middle for all sorts of madness, and with dozens of workstations populated with tools ranging from CNC cutters to welders to lathes. If that's the case, I'll basically write that off and look at workshop or lower for everything.

I was thinking of some highly unusual drones that would be custom purchases, but we can talk about that in a bit.

I think that I'll probably skip the desktop forge at this stage. You can do amazing things with classic construction techniques if you have some practical chops.

What would you demand in terms of ratings for this character to be effectively a drone designer capable of doing things such as what modern day RL engineers call soft robotics?
sunnyside
This edition already has a lot of flexibility in how soft and biomimetic drones can be. Particularly with walkers and arms, but also that falcon pet which doesn't even particularly have special rules. And there are things like gecko tips RAW.

So if you're looking to stay within RAW and just soup up some critterbots it'd be pretty straightforward.

If you want a genius that breaks the mold (and goes completely off the page) and is doing things beyond the dreams of the corps. Well, I'm interested in working something out. But perhaps specify what you're really wanting to make. Maybe a specific pet project?
Koekepan
Nothing too outlandish. I was thinking of sewer/pipe inspection things, and then thinking of research into artifical muscles, and I came up with the idea of maximally soft-bodied drones, such as lamprey analogues with pseudo-cartilage in their endoskeletons, or annelid-type systems with only a hard element in their heads (for surveillance, while travelling through heavily sedimented pipes or areas with constricted access). From there it was an obvious move to molluscan concepts, perhaps based on something like a nudibranch, and then by way of contrast some less-frequently considered arthropodal options such as a millipede type structure, or something analogous to a stick insect for a sniper-type drone.

None of these require anything outlandish in terms of milieu materials science, power sources, capability technology or AI/pilot ratings.

OK, I admit that I also considered an animated masturbatory sleeve with a deployable dentata function for enhanced negotiation capabilities, but then I remembered what you said about how dark you didn't want it to get, and I shelved that plan...
pbangarth
Fuuuuuuck ..... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Someday, we have to get together for a beer.
Koekepan
"This is an offer you can totally refuse. But one way or another, I'm leaving here with something. You just get to decide what. Here, let me pour you another drink, you look as if you need it."

Naaah, I'm a nice guy. I'd never.

Of course, doesn't mean I wouldn't let someone think that I would.
Crossbow
Interested.

Have three characters I have played before that I can port in.

Smiley- Face/physad Sioux, lucky as hell, drinking problem.

Taurus- Bodyguard Minotaur, designed to take hits. Originally connected to Ares FWIW.

Flatline- Hermetic mage street doc. Man of the people.
Thanee
So, a while ago there was this game with all the people that have replied here... wink.gif

Looking at the older threads, I also found my character sheet from there.

Would that be something that could work in this game (probably with some slight alterations)? smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
pbangarth
Looks like things got a little hot in Seattle, what with all the crap going down with the Ancients. Other side of the continent. Smaller town. Let things cool off for a while.
pbangarth
With so many players, I suspect I would play only one PC. If it turns out to be Quick Willie, then sunnyside,

Please,please, make a run, please
Where we can extract just one of these!

Willie dreams ...

I figure Koekepan's PC could improve the inner Body.
pbangarth
Ok, so here are two PCs of mine that are available for play in Baltimore. Originally sunnyside suggested two PCs as there didn't look to be too many interested players, but that might not apply now. Each of them have strong attractions for me, for different reasons.

Quick Willie looks like a straightforward shooter/biker, but his Cerebral booster (which I have bumped to Rating 2!) has opened up a whole new world to him. I would find that interesting to play. Bongo Slade can do things no PC of mine has ever been done. I would love to explore them.

Here they are, with a few bucks unspent yet.

EDIT 3 July 2023 added GM contacts
EDIT 4 July 2023 fixed karma cost errors; added gear, Qualities
EDIT 21 July 2023 Fixed errors in Knowledge points and related contacts
EDIT 12 Aug 2023 Fake SINs from Brewster plus starting money

Quick Willie

50 Questions
[ Spoiler ]

Vignette
[ Spoiler ]

Stats and Bio
[ Spoiler ]

Bongo Slade

53 Questions

[ Spoiler ]

Background

[ Spoiler ]

Vignette

[ Spoiler ]

Stats

[ Spoiler ]
sunnyside
So I think we've got things set with Koekepan (they could have the sleeve for jokes and intimidation). They just need to make a character.

I haven't run the math on Selina.. I actually haven't had a starting initiate before nor a straight up pacifist, but at least the mods should be pretty straightforward.

For Pbangarth I think it would be fun to bring both into the area. But maybe one or the other could opt out of runs if you'd like.

Unless Koekepon picks it up (or one of Crossbow's is a surprise) what you're missing is a hacker. You're a pretty deep and crunchy bunch it seems, but in my last campaign I actually had a sort of agreement with the hacker to mostly ignore Unwired (and I mostly handled their rolling). That keeps things simpler and faster in a lot of ways, which is the advantage of 4a hacking. Fewer troubles for non-hacker chars too. The only thing I like from Unwired, off the top of my head, is clarity for tacnets. Maybe the sample characters and systems. I figured this bunch would want to use it, but I thought I'd just put that out there. Of course I could bring in an NPC.

Also I'm starting to be slammed with work, but I'd like to get things going. Maybe I'll start an IC thread with a soft start to assemble folks.

Let me know if you'd want more info on the area first. I'll be posting it, but I don't want to evoke a tl;dr response and bog everything down.
Thanee
Selina

Real Name Skye McGregor
Archetype Street Shaman
Metatype Elf
Gender female
Age 24
Height 1.68m (5 ft. 6 in.)
Weight 54kg (120 lbs.)
Hair blonde
Eyes green
Skin fair

Character Sheet
[ Spoiler ]

Common Dice Pools
[ Spoiler ]

Character Generation
[ Spoiler ]

Appearance
[ Spoiler ]

Background
[ Spoiler ]

20 Questions
[ Spoiler ]

Status

Selina

Physical Damage □□ □□ □□ □□ □□ - □□□□
Stun Damage ■■ □□ □□ □□ □□

Edge ■□□□

Sustained Spells
--

Summoned Spirits
--

Bound Spirits
--

Fiona

Physical Damage □□□ □□□ □□□ □□
Stun Damage □□□ □□□ □□□ □□

Edge ■■■□

Sustained Powers
--

Sustained Spells
--
pbangarth
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jun 27 2023, 12:31 AM) *
Do you still get the (LOG+INT) x3 free Knowledge Skills, if you use Karma Generation? Not entirely sure... but it seems like that was used there.

Oh yeah. Gotta fix that for Willie.

Oh, and I see a boat is usable here. I might give Willie his boat back. That'll require some jigging of gear/karma points.
pbangarth
Holy shit!

A liquor store around the corner, and ork bikers in the streets. Willie is at home the minute he steps into the neighbourhood. I see myriad contacts for his knowledge skills right here!
Koekepan
I don't expect to be able to fit a hacker of real power into the starting character generation rules. I'm doing the dance of points, trying to figure it out.

Expect something in a couple of days, as time permits.
Koekepan
GM clarification request:

As I read your houserule post, there's a:

* -10BP Basic Street Ethics
* -5BP GM build compulsion
* -5BP minor compulsion to heroism

for 20 not-quite-free build points. Is this correct?

While I'm looking at points, for a drone rigger it's a lot easier to get drones to do the infiltration and shadowing work. Does this count towards your alternative means of achieving the purpose? It doesn't come free, so I think that it fits the spirit, but you tell me?

Edited to add: I'd like, for the character concept, to have SINner, Records on File and Bad Luck negative qualities. OK to slot these in next to the above, or too much? The idea is that his training organisations and trade union groups would know ex-act-ly who he was because of their own paperwork requirements, and the reason for him being on the street is a low intensity, high duration drizzle of bad luck.
Ka_ge2020
I'm here and interested, but... I don't really know how to progress. I don't have any characters that I can 'port in. Indeed, I haven't created a SR character in years.

I do have a knee-jerk preference for Mystic Adepts, but I feel that I'm going to need more guidance than the average person here.

Unless you're using GURPS, in which case I'm way ahead of the curve. j/k
Koekepan
I would take a glance at https://pavao.org/shadowrun/generators/
and maybe see where that leads you?
sunnyside
QUOTE (Ka_ge2020 @ Jun 27 2023, 07:44 PM) *
I'm here and interested, but... I don't really know how to progress. I don't have any characters that I can 'port in. Indeed, I haven't created a SR character in years.

I do have a knee-jerk preference for Mystic Adepts, but I feel that I'm going to need more guidance than the average person here.

Unless you're using GURPS, in which case I'm way ahead of the curve. j/k

Well, if you aren't sure what to do, the party does need a hacker. cool.gif Pulling up some of your posts on the boards it looks like you've been thinking about hackers and technomancers, and perhaps are more familiar with older editions.

4a is a big change from earlier editions. Almost everything is wireless and most people are walking around looking at the world through an augmented reality feed you can hack, to say nothing of the increasingly popular drones. So lots of opportunities. Hacking is much much faster and simpler to match that.

Technomancers are highly specialized. I don't feel like a lot of room is left for anything else, and they also get tired out when doing their thing.
However they can make a mockery of any system's security.

Hackers differ from the deckers of the past (besides the wireless thing) in that I feel being a decker required a huge degree of specialization to be good at it. You'd easily sink your million nuyen during chargen on top of stats and skills, you might feel like you're just being hauled around by the party and periodically plugged into the wall, and you'd feel like trashing the character if anything happened to that deck! SR4a hackers have a relatively easy time also being something else.

I think you'd also make quick friends with Koekepan here as a hacker. I don't know if you have the books. I'm sure the others here could help, or you could give a concept and I could assign some stats?

That said you need to want to play your character, so something else would be fine. But I had to try. nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jun 27 2023, 02:49 PM) *
GM clarification request:

As I read your houserule post, there's a:

* -10BP Basic Street Ethics
* -5BP GM build compulsion
* -5BP minor compulsion to heroism

for 20 not-quite-free build points. Is this correct?

While I'm looking at points, for a drone rigger it's a lot easier to get drones to do the infiltration and shadowing work. Does this count towards your alternative means of achieving the purpose? It doesn't come free, so I think that it fits the spirit, but you tell me?

Edited to add: I'd like, for the character concept, to have SINner, Records on File and Bad Luck negative qualities. OK to slot these in next to the above, or too much? The idea is that his training organisations and trade union groups would know ex-act-ly who he was because of their own paperwork requirements, and the reason for him being on the street is a low intensity, high duration drizzle of bad luck.

It is 20 not-quite-free points, and does not count against the limit on disadvantages. Which in this case is good because it sounds like you need the points. biggrin.gif

The point of inflitration/shadowing is to avoid party members having to sit things out while things are stealthy or blowing it for everybody else. So drones can mostly fit the bill, but some of the time your character might end up running overwatch on the outside of a building with wi-fi negation. But maybe that would still be fun for you?

I will note that the drone's dice pools are based off their controller's skills, or require an extra program.

QUOTE (Crossbow @ Jun 26 2023, 04:17 AM) *
Interested.

Have three characters I have played before that I can port in.

Smiley- Face/physad Sioux, lucky as hell, drinking problem.

Taurus- Bodyguard Minotaur, designed to take hits. Originally connected to Ares FWIW.

Flatline- Hermetic mage street doc. Man of the people.

I was able to find Smiley and Taurus. Taurus might not fit in without some personal growth. Smiley would, but they have a lot of overlap with Bongo. Though I don't know which pbangarth would choose to go with if they only brought one at first.

I couldn't find Flatline, but they sound good. It's not a bad idea to have a second magic user.
pbangarth
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Jun 27 2023, 09:43 PM) *
I was able to find Smiley and Taurus. Taurus might not fit in without some personal growth. Smiley would, but they have a lot of overlap with Bongo. Though I don't know which pbangarth would choose to go with if they only brought one at first.

I couldn't find Flatline, but they sound good. It's not a bad idea to have a second magic user.

With so many people lining up, it doesn't seem right to play two PCs. Except for freebie contacts, my two are fleshed out up above, if anyone wants to see what I have available. Bongo is a scout extraordinaire, as well as a face. This does overlap with Smiley some. Unless Koekepan comes up somebody fast, I don't see anyone who has the Initiative and IPs of Quick Willie.
Koekepan
OK, groovy.

I'll take the points - yeah, they are very handy, but as it turns out the disadvantages play well with the character concept. You'll have plenty of background to play with.

I am fine with overwatch duty, especially when there are tactically relevant elements to it into which I can sink my teeth.

Expect a submission in the next day or two.
Koekepan
Here follows my first draft. Please alert me to mistakes or unacceptable choices.

Name
Paul "Tubesnake" Russell

Race
Human

Licensed plumber, electrician and general contractor
IBEW union membership
SIN
Contacts
Plumbing union local secretary Tyrell Washington Connection 2 Loyalty 1
Property firm maintenance supervisor Alicia Avelini Connection 2 Loyalty 1

SINner -5 Got reinstated after the crash
Records on file -10 Trade school and various unions
Basic Street Ethics -10 Minimise collateral damage
Heroism minor compulsion -5 Basically helpful to those in need
GM survival compulsion -5 Stealth, mobility, subvocal comms and triple threat
Bad Luck -20 Couldn't catch a break with a net.
Lifestyle Low (three months prepurchased)

Body 4
Agility 3
Reaction 2
Strength 3
Charisma 3
Intuition 4
Logic 5
Willpower 4
Initiative 6
Essence 6
Magic XX
Edge 2

Knowledge skills
North American construction practices 4 Professional
Drone design engineering 4 Professional
Sculpture in toys and models 3 Interests
Marine engineering 4 Professional
Archaeology 2 Academic
Physics 2 Academic
Chemistry 2 Academic
Industrial psychology 3 Academic
Accounting 3 Professional
English N Language

Skill groups purchased
Athletics 3
Cracking 1
Electronics 3
Biotech 1
Mechanic 4

Active Skills
Armorer 2
Artisan 2
Pistols 1
Longarms 2
Unarmed combat 1
Dodge 1
etiquette 1
negotiation 1
Gunnery 2
pilot groundcraft 2
pilot watercraft 1
pilot aircraft 1
pilot rotorcraft 1
pilot exotic (softbody) 3
shadowing 1
Infiltration 1
Diving 1
navigation 1
perception 1

knife
remington 990
100 slugs
working clothing
armour jacket
Hermes Ikon
Novatech Navi
AR Gloves
Printer
Subvocal mic
Holo projector
Skinlink
Glasses with low light vision, flare compensation, imagelink, thermographic vision and rating 3 enhancement
Goggles with low light vision, flare compensation, imagelink, thermographic vision and rating 3 enhancement
Endoscope with low light vision, flare compensation, imagelink, thermographic vision and rating 3 enhancement
Earbuds Rating 1 sound filter
Headphones rating 1 sound filter
Medkit rating 3

Electrical shop, van
Drone shop, van
Plumbing shop, van
Electronics shop, van
Construction shop, van
Electrical kit
Drone kit
Plumbing kit
Construction kit
Van
GMC Hermes

Handling -1 Acceleration 5/10 Speed 100 Pilot 2 Body 17 Armour 6 Sensor 1
Regular microcrawlerdrone * 3
Shiawase Kanmushi

Handling 1 Acceleration 2/10 Speed 10 Pilot 3 Body 0 Armour 0 Sensor 1
Regular miniflyerdrone * 3
MCT Fly-Spy

Handling 1 Acceleration 3/15 Speed 15 Pilot 3 Body 1 Armour 0 Sensor 2
Custom minicrawler * 3
Annelid

In addition to a sensor package on par with the Fly-Spy for inspecting pipes and construction, this earthworm analogue (the size of a king snake) has a gripper at each end so that it can pull cable and apply tension to serve as an extra set of hands. Because it is constructed of sealed plastic, it can safely be immersed even in toxic waste, septic systems and sewers. It can also trail an optic fibre link for environments where wireless is unavailable. Its handling rating is to reflect that it is flexible enough to turn around on itself in a tight-fitting pipe, or slither pretty much anywhere. Its plastic body has been heavily impregnated with standard bittering agents to deter predation.
Handling 2 Acceleration 1/1 Speed 1 Pilot 3 Body 2 Armour 0 Sensor 2
Custom small crawler * 2
Shankworm

The shankworm is like the Annelid's big brother, except that it has stubby foot analogues like a velvetworm, each of which can cup its base for a sucker-like effect for good grip in greasy or wet environments. Its plastic body has also been heavily impregnated with standard bittering agents to deter predation. At the back it has a gripper strong enough to enable it to hang from a pipe or ductwork, while at the front it can substitute a gripper with a six inch spike. Paul created it to be able to walk along greasy pipe ceiling while hunting down pests like devilrats. Its internal artificial musculature affords it a lunge of up to two feet, with a stab attack equivalent to a 3 strength.
Handling 2 Acceleration 1/2 Speed 2 Pilot 3 Body 3 Armour 0 Sensor 2

Software
Common Use
Analyse 4
Browse 4
Command 4
Edit 4
Encrypt 4
Reality Filter 4
Scan 4
Agents
5 agents at rating 3 each
Hacking
Armour 4
Attack 4
Decrypt 4
Defuse 4
ECCM 4
Exploit 4
Medic 4
Sniffer 4
Spoof 4
Stealth 4
Track 4
pbangarth
I am -so- looking forward to these drones in action! biggrin.gif
pbangarth
I thought I had posted this somewhere a while ago, but I can't find it on DS. Here's a little vignette that shows Willie and Bongo working together in Baltimore. Story is most likely not in line with sunnyside's arc, but it does show the two boys' skills in action.

One Night in Baltimore

[ Spoiler ]
Koekepan
Tubesnake's CV
[ Spoiler ]

Shamelessly cribbed from pbangarth's structure:

[ Spoiler ]

Vignette
[ Spoiler ]
sunnyside
I shudder to think what modified mechanical monstrosities you were planning to make with a plumbing shop.

However I think the way it works is that tools correspond to the skills (see the examples of tool in the gear listing). Also there isn't a particular skill for drones, they're simply covered within the skill for their mode of locomotion (land, air, or sea). Similarly tool correspond to skills. Perhaps it makes sense for kits to correspond more with a specialization.

So the shop level tools you might want are:
Armorer (which you took separately)
Hardware (via electronics group)
Automotive,
Nautical,
Aerospace,
and Industrial (via mechanics group)
At least that's how I understand the rules.

Industrial might be better served via kits, again unless you make custom toilets for eccentric buyers or something.

RAW gives the Hermies a huge number of slots, and has vehicle shops take up few, so all that could fit.
You'd also talked about adding amenities to the van to potentially live there.

I wanted to point out that you haven't added a control rig or data jack. A rig is very affordable in this edition both in terms of nuyen and essence. Those would help a lot with sneaking drones around and, well, with everything. But not a requirement.

You also don't seem to have any autosofts. Those aren't required, especially if you jump in or remote control your drones, but I wanted to point that out too.

Then there are the custom drones. They are fun concepts I want to bring in. I think they could be made RAW. For example building the Annelid off of a Toyota Centipede. Though in principle I could dust off the old Rigger 3 concept and just make some baseline drones you'd modded and price them out.

On that note, I'd appreciate you writing up the character build with points. That goes especially for gear as with that high logic your character would be going to town on the discounts.
Koekepan
I'm happy to rejig the tooling set for that. Industrial tooling would include quite a lot of things that wouldn't fit in a kit. A precision lathe would be a must, for example.

I would be happy to add amenities to the van, although he does actually have a pad of sorts. However, I sort of assumed that something along the lines of a barstool bolted to the floor in a workstation and a hammock and a couple of hooks could be handwaved. No problem either way.

I deliberately didn't add a rig or jack, because I decided to go with his philosophy of cyber being less convenient than add-on equipment like goggles. If he needs to go deep, he'd rather use trodes. The plan with his current kit is AR remote control and their pilot software for basic stuff.

I did look at the Centipede, but it's a different size, scale and construction method so I sort of ballparked it based on what seemed normal for the size and function of the drones in question.

I can give you a full spreadsheet. https://files.catbox.moe/80rwdk.pdf
sunnyside
Elon Musk is spying on me. Amazon Prime decided that for some reason I might be interested in a documentary about Baltimore called Charm City that came out a few years back. Low budget, but interesting and with real people though.

I like the vignettes and Tubesnake backstory. You guys are good writers! I'm interested to see how the game goes. The vignette is the sort of thing that could easily happen, the only way it doesn't fit is the extent to which they're new to town versus having gotten a little familiar.

In terms of chargen I see what you're saying in the character background. You don't need to pay for a hammock. Just if you wanted to actually live in there versus taking a nap. I guess you could tend to sleep there and just use your apartment like an outhouse. Which seems odd until you consider he might want to stay near his work.

In terms of making things work without cyber I'd suggest getting a tacnet program. Just 6k, mostly replaces the rig bonus as long as enough drones/PCs are operating in the area. And you should have some more cash to spend because I don't think you're giving yourself the discounts from having build skills, such as programming. Though you character is something of an extreme example of having them.
Koekepan
OK, I'll revise the sheet for different workshop categories, I'll get a tacnet program with the footnote that he probably doesn't use it much in environments where comms might be interrupted by things like steel ducting. After B/R discount he could certainly fit it in.

I admit that my proposed character is an odd duck, but I really thought about it in terms of how someone slides into the shadows from an ostensibly legitimate background, and then answering the question of what he really brings to the party and what his exit from the shadows might be.

If you're OK with the drones that I thumbnail-sketched, I'll probably use some of the cash savings for a couple more with different capacities so that he has a broader set of plays in the game.

Expect the update in another day or so.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jul 1 2023, 12:13 PM) *
I admit that my proposed character is an odd duck, but I really thought about it in terms of how someone slides into the shadows from an ostensibly legitimate background, and then answering the question of what he really brings to the party and what his exit from the shadows might be.

I have the same issues with Bongo.
pbangarth
Wow!

Just south of our safehouse, there is a jail and juvenile detention centre right beside a high school. What could possibly go wrong?
sunnyside
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jul 1 2023, 12:13 PM) *
OK, I'll revise the sheet for different workshop categories, I'll get a tacnet program with the footnote that he probably doesn't use it much in environments where comms might be interrupted by things like steel ducting. After B/R discount he could certainly fit it in.

If you're OK with the drones that I thumbnail-sketched, I'll probably use some of the cash savings for a couple more with different capacities so that he has a broader set of plays in the game.

Expect the update in another day or so.

Well, I don't think folks would call the drones OP. Actually you have them really really slow. Mayne that would be appropriate carefully moving in tight quarters, but multiplying speed and accel by 5 would seem more reasonable, and would still be pretty slow.

It could be unlike the sudden moves of others, your character has slowly been getting commissions for weapons and drones of more typical shadowrunner types and has made some for themselves or just hasn't sold some yet?

...maybe some with non-lethal options?

I also keep thinking about a base model drone called "the pig" that looks more like a tardigrade than a pig, but has the job of being a pig for pipes. Might have a array of sensors as pigs do, and the mouthpart normally gor clearing out the pipe in tight spots. And, unlike regular pigs, it can squish around damaged or heavily corroded sections.
Koekepan
Update: I decided to pass on a tacsoft, autosofts and 'trodes. They just didn't feel right for the character. This could change, but what the hell, it's only nuyen, right?

With his mechanic skills in the bag, he gets half price on the drones but a lot of that is eaten up by adding on another shop and kit.

However, he gets big savings (3 software, 5 logic) on programs, so that's a chunk of change that I'll have in additional drones. Please open wide for the insertion of fun.

(By the way, a speed of 1 is 1m/3s, which is 1.2km/h. I can raise that a little, but squishy worms won't be much faster. I'll add a different code for swimming motion.)

https://files.catbox.moe/3rxufw.html
sunnyside
So the link to the character sheet as a pdf worked well. The html was all messed up, I could see character bits in there, but one couldn't really use that.

QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jul 1 2023, 10:01 PM) *
Update: I decided to pass on a tacsoft, autosofts and 'trodes. They just didn't feel right for the character. This could change, but what the hell, it's only nuyen, right?

That is....limiting.

Though maybe you'd enjoy a different sort of role. Less in the middle of a run, more knowing the lay of the land, and spots one can vanish into the Baltimore sewers like a bunch of ninja turtle (you already have related knowledge skills, but maybe one specifically to the Baltimore utility layout.

Your soft drones are obviously useful for getting coms working in places that would otherwise be challenging.

If you were willing to loans drones, other folks might be able to physically carry them in or drive them themselves, utilising higher infiltration skills and the like.

You also might be able to credibly make arrangements for "workers" in a building. Though be careful with your SIN. You might have to make the runners actually fix a few toilets and spoof a system to believe they left before the can get up to other things.

I was also going to say you might want to drop the skill group giving you cybertechnology if you don't use cyber, and instead just take first aid. But maybe you could be something of an on team street doc?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012