Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the street index of the centurion laser axe
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Zazen
So I guess if someone wanted to buy a genuine Ares Predator (as opposed to all the similar models and knockoffs and so forth) you'd be forced to increase the Street Index?
Zazen
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Given that, to my knowledge, there are no other factors that are not, for all practical purposes, more or less equal to other quite similar heavy pistols, market saturation'd be the main thing in question, here.

Can you clarify this? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Cain)
When most people go gun shopping, they go for a gun to fill a role. They might walk in with a few brand names and ideas, but they'll generally settle for any gun that will fit the bill. If I need a duck-hunting shotgun, I might have my heart set on that Remington, but I'll probably settle for the SKS.

Er, I'm guessing that wasn't intentional, but the SKS is a light rifle. Probably worth clarifying.

QUOTE (Zazen)
Can you clarify this? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

Basically, if you have two weapons that are largely identical— save for a point of concealability or an extra round or whatever— and one has dramatically lower street index and nothing else, the rationale provided being that it's quite a bit more common, it makes no sense for them to be equally difficult to acquire. I think that's what Doc's second point was. Hope that's clearer.
TinkerGnome
A large supply in relation to demand doesn't necessarily make something easy to aquire. There's a certain base difficulty in aquiring any illegal item.

When you get right down to it, the whole concept of etiquette being used as the sole factor in determining whether or not you can get something is a little silly. Somehow you being extra nice means that your fixer happens to have a Barret laying around.
Solstice
QUOTE (Arethusa)
A street index less than 1 indicates market saturation. I can buy a Glock for 700. I can head to a nearby town, talk to some people, and get one plus a few mags for maybe 150. That's street index.

Uh....sorry to butt in here but I deal guns on a regular basis and there is no way in hell you could get a Glock anything for $150. Even if there is alot of Glocks floating around they still never fall below a certain value...because they have value that doesn't change...like a tool. I could do that with a Smith or a Taurus or something like that.
Arethusa
Somehow, I really don't get the impression you deal in the type of guns I was talking about.
Cain
So I guess if someone wanted to buy a genuine Ares Predator (as opposed to all the similar models and knockoffs and so forth) you'd be forced to increase the Street Index?

Well, if I wanted an Ares Predator specifically, for a collection or something, I'd be forced to buy it new. You never know what's on the used market at any given point. I might be able to find all kinds of good used pistols in the range that I want, but not that specific one. Kinda like the difference between saying: "I want a sportscar" and "I want a 88 Camaro, cherry-red."
Basically, if you have two weapons that are largely identical— save for a point of concealability or an extra round or whatever— and one has dramatically lower street index and nothing else, the rationale provided being that it's quite a bit more common, it makes no sense for them to be equally difficult to acquire. I think that's what Doc's second point was. Hope that's clearer.

I don't know guns, but I do know that's how it works for used cars. Small cosmetic or minor functional differences-- like leather seats-- can make for a huge difference in cost, even if they're equally easy to obtain.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
When you get right down to it, the whole concept of etiquette being used as the sole factor in determining whether or not you can get something is a little silly. Somehow you being extra nice means that your fixer happens to have a Barret laying around.

If this were true, there wouldn't be a Time portion of Availability. Being extra nice motivates your fixer to actually go out and obtain it for you.

~J
TinkerGnome
Yes, but at the same time, throwing wads of extra cash his way should have a better effect. I know it does, but somehow it also makes it take longer... If you could up the SI to lower the availability (without lengthening the time) or lower the time it'd make more sense.
Solstice
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Jul 6 2004, 11:29 AM)
Somehow, I really don't get the impression you deal in the type of guns I was talking about.

If what your saying is true (which it isn't) you need to hook me up cause I could make some serious cash over here.

I'll revise somewhat...there is no way you could get a Glock for anywhere near $150 unless it was a) worn out (not likely) b) a crackhead needs money c) it was a murder weapon and you'll never be able to do anything with it except stuff it in your sock drawer.

Used they go for ~$350-$360 so your saying you can get one for less than half used price on the "street"....nah I don't think so. I buy guns on the "street" all the time, and while there is good deals to be made it's nothing like your making it sound. Sometimes you'll get the odd person that knows nothing about nothing and will let a gun go real cheap but it's not that common. I've come pretty close at a few yard sales. For example I got two guns for $400 then turned them around for $400 each.

In other words it's not like you walk down to the corner and get a Glock for $150. Nice try with the analogy but it's not happening.
Zazen
QUOTE (Cain)
Well, if I wanted an Ares Predator specifically, for a collection or something, I'd be forced to buy it new.

Why? You might have a sentimental attachment to them. You might not know enough about pistols to realize that those highly similar models will work just as well in your Predator-specialized hands. Or maybe everyone in your gang has the same gun and you need to match theirs. Or maybe you're an underground simstar who gets a few bucks from an Ares contact under the table when preds are featured in your chips. Any number of wild and zany reasons are possible.

So do you raise street index when someone wants an Ares Predator that is actually an "Ares Predator"?

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Basically, if you have two weapons that are largely identical— save for a point of concealability or an extra round or whatever— and one has dramatically lower street index and nothing else, the rationale provided being that it's quite a bit more common, it makes no sense for them to be equally difficult to acquire.

Tinkergnome hit it on the head. There is some bare-minimum difficulty to buying a heavy pistol on the streets. For example, I can buy regular ol' weed pretty cheap or I can buy "dro" or "haze", both rarer and more potent varieties. It all comes from the same people, it's all just as easy to get, but dro and haze are in shorter supply and cost more.
Misfit Toy
On one hand, that would be a reflection of their actual costs as well, apparently due to quality and thus rarity. If legal, those differences in costs would be similar. On the other hand, if they're just as readily availble then they're not in shorter supply by definition. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.
Cain
So do you raise street index when someone wants an Ares Predator that is actually an "Ares Predator"?

They'd just be forced to buy it new.

Let's say that you want to buy a Chevy Corvette. Year doesn't matter, but you really want a Corvette, and won't settle for anything else. Well, you start looking in the classifeds and, for some odd reason, you just can't find one. You can find lots and lots of functionally identical sports cars, but not the Corvette.

What do you do? Well, if you *really* want it, the only recourse you have is to go to a Chevy dealership. They might not have one used, but they sure as hell will have a new one.

The rules assume that brand doesn't matter-- only the game functionality. As such, there's no difference between a brand-new and quality-used item.
Misfit Toy
That's your take. It is not what the rules say or even imply. As previously mentioned, the rules assume it deals more with how hard it is to get it on the streets and how many middlemen it has to go through to get there. It has nothing to do with quality, namebrands, used status, or any of the other things you keep trying to say it does.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Solstice)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Jul 6 2004, 11:29 AM)

If what your saying is true (which it isn't) you need to hook me up cause I could make some serious cash over here.

I'll revise somewhat...there is no way you could get a Glock for anywhere near $150 unless it was a) worn out (not likely) b) a crackhead needs money c) it was a murder weapon and you'll never be able to do anything with it except stuff it in your sock drawer.

Used they go for ~$350-$360 so your saying you can get one for less than half used price on the "street"....nah I don't think so. I buy guns on the "street" all the time, and while there is good deals to be made it's nothing like your making it sound. Sometimes you'll get the odd person that knows nothing about nothing and will let a gun go real cheap but it's not that common. I've come pretty close at a few yard sales. For example I got two guns for $400 then turned them around for $400 each.

In other words it's not like you walk down to the corner and get a Glock for $150. Nice try with the analogy but it's not happening.

Well, there is money to be made in that market, if that's the kind of life you want. I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

And I don't think you're talking about the 'street' I am. This has nothing to do with yard sales or gun shows. The people buying a gun for $150 probably haven't ever been to either.

I never said once could walk down to your local street corner and just pick something up, but if you know the right people who know the right people, which, from what you're saying, is absolutely not what you're talking about, you can get very low prices for firearms. Keep in mind, however, that these are not people with whom any mainstream firearms enthusiast would ever sensibly want to deal with it. A, b, and c are all viable possibilities for your new mystery weapon, and who knows where else it's been. You sure don't, and that's the price you pay. Welcome to the life.

It was not a "nice try." It's a market I get the impression you are wholly unfamiliar with, and perhaps you could lay off the ignorant superiority.
Cain
That's your take. It is not what the rules say or even imply. As previously mentioned, the rules assume it deals more with how hard it is to get it on the streets and how many middlemen it has to go through to get there. It has nothing to do with quality, namebrands, used status, or any of the other things you keep trying to say it does.

Actually, the rules are quite explicit about how the Ares Predator, in particular, represents over 60 guns in a single catalog.

Besides which, I still can't find the rules you mentioned on p 173. If you'd keep reading your book, you'll eventually get the the Street Index section-- it's only ahundred more pages, so it shouldn't take you more than a month or so, if you start now and read straight through. nyahnyah.gif At any event, let's look at the sentence in question:

Because obtaining something illegally usually involves the item going through numerous middlemen... the price of an item tends to rise dramatically, especially if it is a hot commodity.

See all those qualifers? Therefore, if something doesn't have to go through a lot of middlemen, the price will tend to go down, yes?

Anyway, there's ample evidence in the opening to CC that items all represent new-equivalent quality, and not necessarily "still-in-the-wrapper" new. In fact, unless you're degrading items for each and every second they're away from the factory, you're treating all items as "like-new quality". (And I'd love to see where you're finding degradation rules from.)
Misfit Toy
QUOTE (Cain)
Actually, the rules are quite explicit about how the Ares Predator, in particular, represents over 60 guns in a single catalog.

Which has nothing to do with the Street Index whatsoever anymore than buying a Mercury Comet instead of a Ford Americar does.

QUOTE (Cain)
Besides which, I still can't find the rules you mentioned on p 173. If you'd keep reading your book, you'll eventually get the the Street Index section-- it's only ahundred more pages, so it shouldn't take you more than a month or so, if you start now and read straight through. nyahnyah.gif At any event, let's look at the sentence in question:

You know, mocking a minor typo once is pretty sad. Doing it twice, let alone insulting a person because of it, is simply pathetic. Grow up. Until you do, please don't bother replying to my posts, or at least directing them towards me.
Cain
You know, mocking a minor typo once is pretty sad. Doing it twice, let alone insulting a person because of it, is simply pathetic. Grow up. Until you do, please don't bother replying to my posts, or at least directing them towards me.

Aww, did I get under your skin? Mr Pot, calling Mr. Kettle! Considering that you're famed for abrasiveness, I take it as a positive that I've gotten to you.

At any event, you evaded my questions. Do you apply degradation for every single time a gun is fired? Every second it's away from the factory? And if so, where are you getting your rules from?
Misfit Toy
No, you didn't. And while I may attack what a person says, I'm not the pathetic loser who goes around saying "Duhhhhh! You typed a 1 instead of a 2! You're stoopit! Duh huh huh! It's time t'go beat off now! Wooo!!" ohplease.gif

Regardless, the point you can't seem to get into your head is that there's no difference between a legal purchase and a black market purhcase except the cost. None. Zip. Zilch. Nadda. You can buy your precious used Ares Predator knock-off pistol at a pawn shop through legal channels and you can buy a brand-spanking-new never-been-fired straight-from-the-factory brand-name Ares Predator from your fixer, and the latter one is *still* half the price. And you know why? Because that's the only difference between the two. One you bought legally, one you bought illegally. In all other ways they're identical.

Street Index does not determine quality. Street Index does not determine brand name. Street Index does not determine Availability. Street Index does not do any of the things you keep attributing to it, and the rules certainly do not say they do despite your completely unfounded claims to the contrary. The only reference the rules make to Street Index is that it's a measure of the difficulties inherent to buying it on the black market, with numerous middlemen being the typical cause.

And it's because of that that I find it hard to believe that many Street Indexes would be below 1. I can't imagine how buying a brand-new never-been-used brand-name top-of-the-line gun on the streets, getting around the paperwork, and having the weapon pass through so many different hands before it hits yours would make it 50% cheaper than buying the exact same one from a straight-from-the-factory-to-our-shelves gun store when you have all the proper paperwork and permits available.

And again, because you seem to have trouble with this concept, Street Index does not determine if a weapon is used, old, or a cheap knock-off. No matter how many times you want to say the contrary, it simply isn't. You may want to rationalize it to yourself that way, but that doesn't change a single thing about it.
Misfit Toy
Uh oh! There's at least one typo in that last post. Quick, get the Vaseline out and start typing your response, Cain!
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
[T]there's no difference between a legal purchase and a black market purhcase except the cost. None. Zip. Zilch. Nadda. You can buy your precious used Ares Predator knock-off pistol at a pawn shop through legal channels and you can buy a brand-spanking-new never-been-fired straight-from-the-factory brand-name Ares Predator from your fixer, and the latter one is *still* half the price. And you know why? Because that's the only difference between the two. One you bought legally, one you bought illegally. In all other ways they're identical.

If your character happens to have Connected: firearms, puts a few thousand, hell, let's be ridiculous and say that one billion rounds have been fired from this gun, and then goes and sells it to their contact, what will they get? Price, adjusted by street index, less the fixer's cut. No less.

I fail to see how you can make this statement based on that.

~J
Pinel
Let's see if I can try to reconcile a few views without touching the personal animosities. Apologies for being the intrusive, smartass newbie with a long post - I've been out of my home country and out of SR for a couple of years, but coming back to both next month. And since I happen to be a diplomat working in international trade and economics, and it's a slow afternoon...

First off - Misfit Toy, I don't think anybody is disputing that the rules on SI (and Availability, for that matter) are at best incomplete. The views expressed here can only be personal interpretations aimed at rationalizing a weakness in the books, unless one of us happens to be sleeping with one of the game designers love.gif

So, if we don't want to review gear stats throughout the source books, how do we explain the wide variations in SI (and availability) between near-similar items ? We can pick one or more reasons:

1) Product life cycle: While having the Predator represent a wide number of similar weapons can lower Availability (through the sheer volume of similar items up for sale), it doesn't explain SI very well. What does affect SI is the product's life cycle (cf. the Predator 2 and 3 example). In many industries, old product versions are not offered at a lower price to maximize the sales of the "new and improved" item -this is especially true when newer versions offer only minimal improvements. So that Predator 1 might only be cheaper through your fixer because while everyone (legit and not) is buying up version 2, Ares isn't lowering the version 1 price to avoid "sales cannibalization". Indeed, Ares might see the grey and black markets as the most profitable way of clearing out version 1 without hurting version 2 sales.

2) Supply and Demand: Ironically, this produces two contradictory effects which can cancel each other out (but not always). First, a very popular product will not tend to have a SI below 1, by virtue of limited stocks (cf. the Barrett rifle mentioned earlier). But that tends to be an early phenomenon. The second effect occurs afterwards: copycat items start arriving, usually at a lower price. This tends to lower the price of the original item - sometimes a lot, sometimes not much, depending on factors like proprietary technology and the quality / reputation of the original. But this factor has a lesser effect on SI as the others.

3) Shadow Production: A very popular but well-controlled item might stimulate the development of illegal production. This is not an automatic consequence of point 2 above, BTW, since some products are licensed legally but are very hard to copy, while other products are the opposite. The Ares Predator you get from your fixer might be a re-engineered Phillipino copy, without the legal process or physical tracing measures incorporated by Ares and other "public" manufacturers. That would give it both the same game stats as the "official " Predator, and a reduced price to boot, but only on the black market since it comes from some hidden jungle factory and the sales revenue goes straight to the Huk Rebels' war chest (litterally). The Browning would not enjoy a similar low SI because it may not be the object of similar production (maybe the design isn't as easy to re-develop as the Predator's ?).

4) Shadow trends & popularity: It makes sense that legitimate buyers don't have the same shopping habits than black market customers. As was mentioned earlier for the laser axe, a SI might be below 1 because runners don't trust a particular item or the excessive number of low-quality versions flooding the black market: that Predator is so popular that runners aren't sure of what they're going to get, and only cheap copies are available on the street as opposed to the certainty of getting a brand-name item at the local gun store.

These are just a few of the many reasons why similar items might have not only a different SI, but one that is below 1. I could elaborate until everyone's computer screen bled, but I don't want to be barred from this forum on my very first post !
Baatorian
You know, in regards to street index, you can look upon the fact that things can be cheaper aboard.

I mean, I can get a 50 gram packet of golden virginia from my local shop for £9.50 (roughly), that's the "legal" price. However, if I get someone to bring me the same 50 gram packet from overseas, the price works out to about £3.50 a packet.

Now, it's brand new, packaged, exactly the same, everything is the same, yet it's a HELL of a lot cheaper (thank God).

In regards to the laser axe.. uhm... perhaps they THOUGHT they'd sell really good, so the happy-happy workers in Korea or something made a serious boat load of them, then everyone realised they were actually crap and they couldn't shift the things, so they're selling them cheaper to "other" sources, who then smuggle them into Seattle and sell them off on the streets for a little profit. Dunno, weird street index for that one.

- Baatorian
John Campbell
The laser goofyass axe's numbers make perfect sense. They have nothing to do with all of the axes on the street actually being cheap knockoffs of the expensive Ares ones that you have to buy legally in the store (and I have no idea where you came up with that idea, or what makes you think it's a rational explanation), and not much to do with the number of middlemen the weapon went through (while that is a factor, it's not the only one, and the referenced rules passage does not, in fact, say that it is... and uses too many "usually"s and "tends" to support a hardline interpretation of even what it does say). It's just straightforward supply and demand.

They're expensive to buy legally, because they're complex and technically advanced devices that're expensive to manufacture, and because they're illegal to possess normally (no permits, even), so there's undoubtedly lots of red tape that has to be expensively cut through to sell them legally, and Ares wants to recover those expenses and make at least a small profit selling them.

The Availability is moderately high, because there aren't many of them floating around out there, because they suck and no one buys them, which keeps both the number manufactured in the first place and the number of those that find their way onto the street low, so it's difficult to find someone who has one to sell at all.

But the SI is low, because they suck and no one wants to buy them, so if you do find a shadow dealer who has one, he's probably going to be quite willing to let it go cheap just to get rid of it, because he doesn't know when he'll find someone else who's willing to buy it for any price. He doesn't have to worry about recovering manufacturing and similar costs, because he probably didn't buy it for full legal price to begin with... it may have been smuggled in and bypassed the bureaucracy, or some Ares employee who doesn't care if Ares makes a profit on it as long as he gets his personal palm greased might have knocked it off the back of a truck, or it might have been stolen, or looted from someone who got themselves dead trying to fight with the ridiculous thing, or whatever. In any case, his investment in it is lower than a legal supplier's, so he can charge less and still be making a profit... and will, because if he charges too much, he won't be making a profit because he won't be making a sale.
Nikoli
Isn't street index a percent of markup?
Item-x is 100:nuyen: and has an SI of 1 would cost 100 at char-gen but 200 (before negotiation) afterwards.

that equation would be price*(SI+1)=Cost before negotiation

therefore an SI of .5 at a base price of 100 would cost 150 after SI markup
Pinel
Nope, SI is a straight multiplier to the base item cost. Items with a SI of 1.0 cost the same on the street as they do in the stores.

Nikoli
That has to be the silliest thing I ever heard.
Cain
QUOTE ("Misfit Toy")
And while I may attack what a person says, I'm proud to be the pathetic loser who goes around saying "Duhhhhh! You typed a 1 instead of a 2! You're stoopit! Duh huh huh! It's time t'go beat off now! Wooo!!"

Fixed your typo for you.

Regardless, the point you can't seem to get into your head is that there's no difference between a legal purchase and a black market purhcase except the cost. None. Zip. Zilch. Nadda. You can buy your precious used Ares Predator knock-off pistol at a pawn shop through legal channels and you can buy a brand-spanking-new never-been-fired straight-from-the-factory brand-name Ares Predator from your fixer, and the latter one is *still* half the price. And you know why? Because that's the only difference between the two. One you bought legally, one you bought illegally. In all other ways they're identical.

Stat-wise, they're identical. In terms of quality and use, they're identical. However, in generalized cosmetic terms, they can be wildly different. Do you apply a modifier based on one being the 2058 model, and one being the 2059?

Or, let's look at cars. What is the difference, stat-wise, between a Ford Americar, Honda Accord, and Chrysler-Nissan Sentra 11?
Solstice
QUOTE (Arethusa)

Well, there is money to be made in that market, if that's the kind of life you want. I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

And I don't think you're talking about the 'street' I am. This has nothing to do with yard sales or gun shows. The people buying a gun for $150 probably haven't ever been to either.

I never said once could walk down to your local street corner and just pick something up, but if you know the right people who know the right people, which, from what you're saying, is absolutely not what you're talking about, you can get very low prices for firearms. Keep in mind, however, that these are not people with whom any mainstream firearms enthusiast would ever sensibly want to deal with it. A, b, and c are all viable possibilities for your new mystery weapon, and who knows where else it's been. You sure don't, and that's the price you pay. Welcome to the life.

It was not a "nice try." It's a market I get the impression you are wholly unfamiliar with, and perhaps you could lay off the ignorant superiority.

No I think I am familiar with it. In fact I've dealt on that side of the street more than a few times. That is why I say your full of it. Firearms have a value regardless of who is buying or selling. Now certain things like the need to get rid of a stolen gun can cause a person to sell for less but not that much less. That is just asinine.

They know they can get $xxx for it so why sell if for less than half price? You can be a convicted serial killer and still go buy a gun from a private person so there is no motivation for people to sell that cheap. It's not like having the gun is harming them so there is no reason to sell for less than half price. Your logic is flawed man. I don't believe you sorry.
Misfit Toy
QUOTE (Cain @ Jul 7 2004, 02:58 PM)
Stat-wise, they're identical.  In terms of quality and use, they're identical.  However, in generalized cosmetic terms, they can be wildly different.  Do you apply a modifier based on one being the 2058 model, and one being the 2059?

Or, let's look at cars.  What is the difference, stat-wise, between a Ford Americar, Honda Accord, and Chrysler-Nissan Sentra 11?

There's nothing different about them because there's nothing different about them. No matter WHO or WHERE or HOW you buy them. Whether you buy them legally or by them on the streets they're exactly the same. If one is used when you buy it legally, it's still used when you buy it on the streets. If it's a cheap knock-off when you buy it legally, it's still a cheap knock-off when you buy it on the streets. If it's brand new when you buy it legally, it's still brand new when you buy it on the streets. If it's a brand name when you buy it legally, its still a brand name when you buy it on the streets.

Why? Because Street Index has no bearing on that whatsoever. The one and only difference is the cost. EVERYTHING else is 100% identical. There is no difference in stats, quality, brand-name, or previous ownership.

If you want to use vehicles as an example, buying a Toyota Elite or any of the alternate variations legally costs 66,400 nuyen. Buying that exact same vehicle on the streets costs you 132,800 nuyen. That does not denote used quality. That does not denote a cheap knock-off. That denotes NOTHING of what you keep saying it alledgedly does. The only difference is the price.

Now taking that same scenario to the next step just to prove it further, buying a Toyota Elite as a Used Vehicle (0.40 Mark-Up factor) would only cost you 26,560 nuyen if you bought it legally. If you bought it on the street... shock shock... it still costs twice as much; 53,120 nuyen. Why? Because Street Index has no bearing whatsoever on previous ownership or anything else. Buying the exact same vehicle on the streets will always cost twice as much. Just like buying the exact same Ares Predator will always cost half as much on the streets.

You could go to a gunstore and buy an Ares Predator and then walk right across the street and sell it to a bum. And thanks to the glory of Street Index, you're now selling it at half its value even though you never even took it out of the box. Likewise, if you went to a lot and bought a Toyota Elite then sold it to the same bum across the street, you'd be able to afford two Toyota Elites 'cause the Street Index was 2.

Notice the trend there? They were exactly the same product. The only changes were 1) the cost and 2) the number of middlemen involved.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
There's nothing different about them because there's nothing different about them. No matter WHO or WHERE or HOW you buy them. Whether you buy them legally or by them on the streets they're exactly the same. If one is used when you buy it legally, it's still used when you buy it on the streets. If it's a cheap knock-off when you buy it legally, it's still a cheap knock-off when you buy it on the streets. If it's brand new when you buy it legally, it's still brand new when you buy it on the streets. If it's a brand name when you buy it legally, its still a brand name when you buy it on the streets.

Why? Because Street Index has no bearing on that whatsoever. The one and only difference is the cost. EVERYTHING else is 100% identical. There is no difference in stats, quality, brand-name, or previous ownership.

This smells like a personal house interpretation to me. Ahh yes... the reek of pretending your opinion is Canon. Please do provide a quote from a rulebook that supports the your repeated claims as to a lack of any difference whatsoever between street-bought and store-bought goods.

I'll help you out: there isnt one. Cosmetic/age/whatever differences are never directly addressed by the street index rules. You interpret this to mean that there *are* no differences, others interpret this to mean that those differences arent enough to warrant stat changes.

While some interpretations are lamer than others (I dont really like the cheap knock-off theory either), theyre all just that - interpretations. The difference between some of the interpretations presented and yours is that other people are trying to interpret the rules such that they make sense, whereas you are trying to bend the rules around your interpretation and finding (surprise!) that it doesnt work.
Misfit Toy
Read the rules for Street Index. They make it clear that the only difference is the cost, and then list the usual reason for that (ie, middlemen). It's all the other things brought up in this thread that's the "personal house interpretation." By canon, there is no difference whatsoever between them. If you buy an item legally and then turn around and sell it on the streets, whoever buys it gets stuck with the Street Index even though there has been no change whatsoever in the product.

Quality, brand-name, etc. has no bearing on that. Nothing in canon says otherwise that I'm aware of. You can legally buy an Ares Predator that's "used" or a "cheap knock-off" from a pawn shop or buy a brand-new brand-name Ares Predator from a respectable store, and the price would be identical. Just like the price would be identical if you bought an Ares Predator on the streets from the Crime Mall or bribed some worker at an Ares factory to turn his head while you swiped one, and the price would still have the same cost... just at a 0.5 mark-up of the legal price because you bought it illegally instead.

Because that's... the... only... difference.
Herald of Verjigorm
Because obtaining something illegally usually involves the item going through numerous middlemen (from thieves to their fences to black marketeers to fixers to the runners), the price of an item tends to rise dramatically, especially if it is a hot commodity.

This is the only line explaining causes for street index at all. It does not have any solid "always" variety terms. That means it accounts for the possibility of exceptions while not explaining the exceptions. Low SI is the exception and the reasons given in various opinion posts do not contradict what is stated in the relevant text (although some don't make any sense).

Based on the "Fencing the Loot" section, the SI of an Ares Predator is exactly the most that a runner can expect from fencing such a gun. 50% of the retail cost. There are no rules for selling something to an interested buyer or buying directly from an interested seller, just buying and selling through intermediaries. Keep that in mind and quit with the analogies that do not apply to the actual rules in the books. Anything beyond the rules is GM whim, so no one here can be "right" or "wrong" on those parts (except claiming that it is a rule).
Misfit Toy
The point you guys keep missing is that, at no time, is the quality of the item altered by buying it on the streets vs. buying it legally. There is nothing in the rules that says or even suggests that. Why you keep harping on me for actually pointing to the only relevant rules on the subject while simultaneously dismissing that simple fact is beyond me.
Person 404
Perhaps because with a few exceptions (cyberware, vehicles apparently), there are no rules for gear quality in canon?
Misfit Toy
Which is my point.

There are no differences in quality, because it doesn't matter. And Street Index has no bearing on that. Because it is a non-issue. You get the same quality (however you want to describe it) whether you buy it legally or illegally. Buying a used knock-off from a legal source vs. a street resource is still modified by the exact same Street Index as buying a brand new brand name item from a legal source vs. a street resource.

Buying something on the streets does not make it used, cheap, or a knock-off. You might describe it that way for fun, but that's all it is. It's not what Street Index represents. You can describe that brand-new gun you just bought as being a used, cheap, knock-off... but that doesn't mean you get a discount on it.
Herald of Verjigorm
If you were arguing only against the quality argument, then my post was poorly timed. I have difficulty finding reason in that argument as well, but I am curious if its backers can make a more convincing point.
Person 404
Not that I'm a huge fan of this argument, but should point out that all the prices in canon (sans SI) are for new, name-brand, retail items. You can say that the SI issue applies equally to knock-off used crap bought legally and good stuff bought legally equally, but I don't know of any canon sources for buying said knock-off used crap at retail (i.e. SI=1) prices.
Jason Farlander
You know what? Nevermind.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
The point you guys keep missing is that, at no time, is the quality of the item altered by buying it on the streets vs. buying it legally. There is nothing in the rules that says or even suggests that. Why you keep harping on me for actually pointing to the only relevant rules on the subject while simultaneously dismissing that simple fact is beyond me.

As I said before, there also isn't a difference in quality for (most) gear that you've used compared to stuff you haven't. Get a HVAR, modify it for belt feed, and rig it up with a belt the size of the earth. By the last bullet, the performance will be the same as the first. Does this mean that Shadowrun should abandon reason even more and price them the same?

~J
Misfit Toy
What exactly is your argument?

That Street Index indicates quality? It doesn't. Unless you're saying that a sports car you buy from a corrupt car salesman is twice the quality of the exact same sports car (and I do mean the exact same one, not one like it) you buy from the exact same salesman's lot but instead go through all the paperwork.

That Street Index indicates that you're buying a cheap knock-off? It doesn't. Unless you're telling me the only place you can get an Aries Preditor is on the streets without a license or permit.

So what's the argument here? By the rules (and I noticed upon looking back up that Cain conveniently changed his post where he said the rules said that Street Index was an indication of quality and brand name), the only thing Street Index changes about an item is its cost. There is no change in quality, brand name, color, tint, or anything else. You can get crappy equipment from a legal source and Grade A equipment from a less-than-legal source. Street Index is not an indicator of those things; GM fiat is.
Zazen
QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
What exactly is your argument?

That Street Index indicates quality? It doesn't.

I haven't been around for a few days, so I guess I'm a little behind in the discussion. I hope I can catch up quickly.

I quite agree that SI should not indicate quality. You've also said that it does not indicate the available supply. So now I'm curious, what does SI represent?
Cain
Quality, brand-name, etc. has no bearing on that. Nothing in canon says otherwise that I'm aware of. You can legally buy an Ares Predator that's "used" or a "cheap knock-off" from a pawn shop or buy a brand-new brand-name Ares Predator from a respectable store, and the price would be identical. Just like the price would be identical if you bought an Ares Predator on the streets from the Crime Mall or bribed some worker at an Ares factory to turn his head while you swiped one, and the price would still have the same cost... just at a 0.5 mark-up of the legal price because you bought it illegally instead.

About time. You finally started making sense. Which, incidentally, is what I've been saying all along.
The point you guys keep missing is that, at no time, is the quality of the item altered by buying it on the streets vs. buying it legally.

Exactly! Now you have it!

If a gun/car/other item is statistically identical to item X, then it functions identically like item X, and retails for as much. But on the street, sometimes that means the prices can go down. You with me so far?

So, Street Index is supposedly a reflection of how readily a given item filters into the shadow markets. It's distinct from availiability, which describes how common an item is. Thus, the Predator and its ilk must "fall between the cracks" much more often than other guns.

This could be due to a number of reasons. Shadowrunners and wannabes get the gun, use it once, and toss it to avoid incrimination. Ares (or another manufacturer) has a regular deal with various people to trade guns for biz. (Given that Ares owns Weapons World, this is a very likely outcome.)
Buying something on the streets does not make it used, cheap, or a knock-off.

Nor does it mean it's still in the original packaging. As you pointed out, SI does not indicate quality. In fact, it's assumed that all items are in like-new condition, regardless of actual age/mileage. But what it *does* mean is that the item has probably changed hands a few times, which could mean it's seen more use, and therefore been devalued.
Cain
BTW:
If you buy an item legally and then turn around and sell it on the streets, whoever buys it gets stuck with the Street Index even though there has been no change whatsoever in the product.

Here's where you're completely wrong. The SI rules only apply when *purchasing* things on the shadow or grey markets. When you're selling things onto the shadow or grey markets, the "Fencing the Loot" rules take effect. That's where your "middleman" comes into play.
Zazen
That's some pretty confusing stuff right there.

So, Street Index is supposedly a reflection of how readily a given item filters into the shadow markets.  It's distinct from availiability, which describes how common an item is.  Thus, the Predator and its ilk must "fall between the cracks" much more often than other guns.

If it enters the black market more easily than other guns, doesn't that mean that it is (among illegal weapons dealers) more common?

As you pointed out, SI does not indicate quality.  In fact, it's assumed that all items are in like-new condition, regardless of actual age/mileage.  But what it *does* mean is that the item has probably changed hands a few times, which could mean it's seen more use, and therefore been devalued.

Quite confusing! Apparently the item has been devalued, but the devaluation is not based on the quality or condition of the item! So the item is cheaper because it has seen more use, despite there being no evidence of that use on the like-new condition item?
Cain
If it enters the black market more easily than other guns, doesn't that mean that it is (among illegal weapons dealers) more common?

More common != more availiable.

For example, everyone might have a Browning Max-power or two in stock, so you can find thm readily enough. However, they've got tons of Predators and predator knockoffs, so the price on those tends to drop.

The availiability rules only apply for finding one item. If your supplier has dozens, it'll affect price, but not availiability. Thus, the SI reduction.
Apparently the item has been devalued, but the devaluation is not based on the quality or condition of the item! So the item is cheaper because it has seen more use, despite there being no evidence of that use on the like-new condition item?

Do you collect Magic cards? What's worth more, a lotus in perfect mint condition, completely unused; or one that's been played with extensively? And will that wear make a difference in tournament play?
Birdy
Did you take into account:

- End user prices are inflated compared to what you pay "at factory" (IRL I buy a suit for 100€ at a high-quality clothing plant. That same suit then gets a label sewn in and ends in an expensive shop for 450€)

- Thieves don't sell their stuff for end-user prices. Even more so if they steal in bulk

- Dealers lack a good many expenses that regular shops have (taxes, health care, shop rent, guarantee/insurance)

Birdy
Zazen
QUOTE (Cain)

More common != more availiable.

But you just said in your last post:

It's distinct from availiability, which describes how common an item is

Do you think that availability describes the commonality of an item or not?

QUOTE (Cain)
Do you collect Magic cards?  What's worth more, a lotus in perfect mint condition, completely unused; or one that's been played with extensively?

You have said that items are assumed to be in like-new condition, so I'd say there's little difference between the extensively used and new card, because the like-new card mysteriously shows no evidence of its extensive use. It is like-new, after all!
Lindt
Children... settle down. Someone way back on the first page said that the Pred. isnt the Ak-47 of handguns. I completly disagree. Its far and away the AK-47 of heavy pistols. Its the Colt 1911 of today, everyone who has a handgun has one of those. Having a street index of .5 shows that. "Oh, Mr Man, why is it cheeper to by it from a dealer then Ares Arms 'World O Guns'?" Because every dead fool and their pet poodle has one. If you walked into a small gun shop, and asked to buy 3 Colt model 1911s, odds are you would still have a choice of finishes, grips, and acc. mounts. Hell they just want to get rid of them. If you buy it used, its going to be cheeper, but Ares 'World O' Guns' dosent sell used guns, now do they. Not when they can get you to buy a new one at 2x the price. But they will toss in a 3 year money back gurantee, a walnut box, and a cleaning kit, along with the owners manual. Remember however, that it might be tough to get (fictional example, an AK-2058), it still might be cheep. "But Mr. Man, how does THAT work?" Lets say your local grey market pawn shop has 2 sitting in the back, that because its aginst the law to sell assult weapons with out the right permits, he dosent advertise. But you walk in looking for something that has a little extra bang. You spend 5 min haggeling over the cost of a Enfield .12 guage (and make your search check aginst its avil of 8, because its new) the broker mentions he might have something better, and since they are only taking up space, he could let it for for say, 75% of the new ones at 'Kalinichoffs Gun O Rama'.
That being said, that stupid axe is close to the same. Mabey because it dosent have any compitition?
Misfit Toy
That's the thing though. Every time you guys mention a flooded market, that would be reflected in Availability -- and by the rules, Availability works with both legal and illegal purchases and it is a direct reflection of how easy it is to get one.

If everyone and their uncle had an Ares Predator, the Availability would be way lower (if not "Always") in addition to a low Street Index. But that's simply not the case. It has the exact same Availability as SI 1 or higher pistols meaning that there's approximately the same number of Ares Predators on the market (whichever market that may be) as there are Browning Max-Powers, Remington Roomsweepers, and Ruger Super Warhawks.

Street Index is not Availability anymore than it's a degree of quality or brand name.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012