Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberpunk, Encyclopedia Style...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Cochise
QUOTE (MozartSmozart)
My problem MisfitToy, is that you seem to take it as a deep personal insult that William Gibson doesn't like Shadowrun. You can disagree, but when you go so far as to call him "whiney" and "incredibly sad" for having an opposing opinion about a game that, quite frankly, would be quite different if it were not for his work, if it would exist at all.

*hmm* Somehow I got the feeling that Misfit isn't insulted so much by the mere fact that Gibson doesn't like SR and openly says so.
It's more the fact that an encyclopedia takes his rants about SR and includes them in their definition of Cyberpunk.

That's more or less giving Gibson more credit than he actually deserves
nezumi
Personally, I have no respect for any encyclopedia which even uses 'underhanded' in part of a description of history. I'd blame the encyclopedia writers, who apparently don't understand they're supposed to give a neutral, third party view on these things, for putting out a poorly researched and biased piece of rubbish. In fact, I'm thinking I might just send a curt note to said encyclopedia today, assuming I have the free time to throw away.
Glav
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk

Check it out...it seems part of the wikipedia Cyberpunk explaination has been riped from that page...or vice versa. It may be in more places than one...and knowing the internet, I'm going to go out on a limb and guarentee it.
Adam
Well, not really "ripped" - most of the material on Wikipedia is available under an Open License, and the site Misfit Toy linked to appears to acknowledge that.
Misfit Toy
I just found the page by accident while looking for some interesting Shadowrun content on the web one day. I didn't research through to find all the references or anything. Sorry.
Req
How can people be talking about recent cyberpunk and not mention Richard K Morgan? Altered Carbon and, slightly less so, Broken Angels, are both AWESOME post-cyberpunk stuff. Props for the Carlucci mention a couple pages back, too - Destroying Angel rocked - but Morgan is the best I've read in a while.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012