Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magicians way adept initiation
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
derren
When a magicians way adept initiates do they gain a metamagical technique in addition to a power point or do they have to choose between the two?
Ol' Scratch
No. They have to choose between them. They really get the shaft when it comes to initiation.

You can find a more detailed answer here. It's basically just a clarification of the stuff in MitS.
derren
ta very much, also what is the general consensus on the reflecting meta technique as it sounds pretty damn useful to me.
Ol' Scratch
Mechanically? Shielding trumps it for purposes of protection. There's no comparison. Roleplaying-wise? It's totally groovy... nothing like snagging an opponents spell and hurling it right back at 'em. smile.gif
FlakJacket
Of course it can also be bloody annoying if you're evil enough. Team is hired to snatch magical researcher, burst in on her at home only for her to throw off a manabolt at the mage who's in the lead. Mage is trying out his nifty new reflecting power he got last session and promptly reflects it right back onto the target who hadn't had a chance to raise her spell defence yet. Cue frantic attempts at first aid and magical healing whilst they try and exit the place. biggrin.gif
Dashifen
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Of course it can also be bloody annoying if you're evil enough. Team is hired to snatch magical researcher, burst in on her at home only for her to throw off a manabolt at the mage who's in the lead. Mage is trying out his nifty new reflecting power he got last session and promptly reflects it right back onto the target who hadn't had a chance to raise her spell defence yet. Cue frantic attempts at first aid and magical healing whilst they try and exit the place. biggrin.gif

Note to self *scribble* *scribble*
Mr.Platinum
personally I hate the rules for PhysMage, sure yo can create a potent character but saying that you can't leatn metamag tech? whats that all about ? I say they should be able to learn, why? well you are just learning a technique.
And there are many ways to learn Meta, Astral Quest, another intiate, or a free spirit.
So just fora Physmage o talk to one of these sources he has to spend the Karma just to learn it.
Sorry but in my games Physmages can learn the Tech cause the cannon Rules are retarded.
BitBasher
Um he CAN learn it, he just cant learn a technique and gain a magic point during the same initiation, he has to choose between them.
Ol' Scratch
Yeah, but an ordinary adept gets both. But the poor physical magician, simply because he bought the Magical Power adept power, is somehow mentally retarded when he initiates and can only learn one or the other, even though his increase in Magic has no effect on his Magical Power whatsoever unless he spends power points on improving it.

If being able to buy Magical Power didn't cost more build points or was the same Priority as a typical adept, I can see some kind of limitation like that. But as it stands, they get shafted both ways and the whole initiation bit just doesn't make any logical sense whatsoever.
BitBasher
The "Poor" physical magician, who has all the powers of an adept and most of a mage. The Poor Physical Magician chose his path, and should face the consequences. I don't feel that his really only fault should be mitigated. He chose his path. If the player was not willing to play with the consequences of his choices maybe he shouldn't play a physical magician.

In short, I feel it is balanced just fine.
Ol' Scratch
I don't mind penalties that make at least some amount of sense. This one doesn't.
Cochise
QUOTE (BitBasher)
The "Poor" physical magician, who has all the powers of an adept and most of a mage.

The same poor physical magician who is described as a (full) magician who exchanged some of his normal power to access the Adept powers (thus giving up projection and astral perception for free), albeit the rules making him an Adept who gains access to a magician's skills (So rules and ingame description are heavily opposed!).
The same poor physical magician who happens to cost the same as a full magician.

The Poor Physical Magician chose his path, and should face the consequences.

Yeah, right ...

I don't feel that his really only fault should be mitigated.

Nice ... then I feel that the FAQ shouldn't say something about Adepts of the magician's way that actually isn't in the rules ...

He chose his path.

Ingame? Yes, he went from full mage to mage with Adept powers, thus already giving up some advantages: Free astral perception, astral projection, metaplanar projection (inlcuding all karmic prize reductions) ...

If the player was not willing to play with the consequences of his choices maybe he shouldn't play a physical magician.

Or maybe the player would like to play with "the rules as written" and not with "rules as commonly interpreted and sanctioned via FAQ"?

In short, I feel it is balanced just fine.

In short, I don't ...
Jason Farlander
The way I've always interpreted it is that the PhysMage increases his magic power by the very act of initiating, and then, in addition to the normal options available to an initiating mage of altering astral sig or gaining a metamagical technique, the Physmage can choose to instead gain a power point. This interpretation is based on the fact that things like power foci increase the effective magic attribute granted by magic power, and doesnt seem to be in contradiction of the wording.
Mr.Platinum
Thank the Great D, for house rules.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Cochise)
Or maybe the player would like to play with "the rules as written" and not with "rules as commonly interpreted and sanctioned via FAQ"?

Technically, the rules do say it but are poorly worded as if often the case.

MitS p. 24: "If a magician adept initiates, she can choose to either gain an extra Power Point or learn a metamagic technique."

The controversy before the FAQ came out was that some people read the "extra" as "in addition to the one they would normally get" which, in and of itself, would be insanely powerful. But instead of just errata'ing that sentence away, they decided to cripple magician adepts in an illogical fashion.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Jason Farlander @ Aug 3 2004, 11:32 AM)
The way I've always interpreted it is that the PhysMage increases his magic power by the very act of initiating, and then, in addition to the normal options available to an initiating mage of altering astral sig or gaining a metamagical technique, the Physmage can choose to instead gain a power point.  This interpretation is based on the fact that things like power foci increase the effective magic attribute granted by magic power, and doesnt seem to be in contradiction of the wording.

If they were a magician first, that would make a lot of sense. They would, in fact, be magicians giving up some of their power to learn adept powers. But as it stands, they're regular adepts (who gain a Magic Point, a Power Point, and a Metamagic Technique with each initiation) who get shafted with each grade.

I don't know why they overcomplicated the rules here. If they had simply came up with a mechanic where a normal magician could sacrifice their Astral Projection and/or a point of effective Magic in exchange for the ability to buy a few adept powers with their spell points (maybe 10 SP per PP) during character creation, it would not only allow that interpretation of their initiations to make a lot more sense, but would also allow them to be as diverse as other magicians -- including aspected physical magicians.

But it's currently all a convolted, confused mess. Bleh.
BitBasher
The same poor physical magician who is described as a (full) magician who exchanged some of his normal power to access the Adept powers (thus giving up projection and astral perception for free), albeit the rules making him an Adept who gains access to a magician's skills (So rules and ingame description are heavily opposed!).
The same poor physical magician who happens to cost the same as a full magician.
Semantics. you should be in politics. biggrin.gif

The adept that has fill access to adept powers, and for a paltry 5 generation points gains full access to sorcery and summoning.

Both views are correct, and both are in line with each other, it's just a matter of perception.

Ingame? Yes, he went from full mage to mage with Adept powers, thus already giving up some advantages: Free astral perception, astral projection, metaplanar projection (inlcuding all karmic prize reductions) ...
The adept does not "give up" astral projection and perception. The adept never has access to those powers normally. He is after all, an adpet with mage skills, not a mage with adept abilities. This is a very important distinction. He was never a mage, and he never gave up any abilities. The ability to spellcast and summon is an adept power.

Nice ... then I feel that the FAQ shouldn't say something about Adepts of the magician's way that actually isn't in the rules ...
I'm not sure what you are referring to here, My group has always interpreted adept initiation exactly as it is in the book. What is your issue with the rules? Do you think the FAQ is an incorrect interpretation or do you just not like the rules in the book?

Cochise
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Technically, the rules do say it but are poorly worded as if often the case.

The way I read it, it doesn't say it, not even in a poor wording ...

MitS p. 24:  "If a magician adept initiates, she can choose to either gain an extra Power Point or learn a metamagic technique."

The controversy before the FAQ came out was that some people read the "extra" as "in addition to the one they would normally get" which, in and of itself, would be insanely powerful.

I do know where this "insanely" powerful interpretation came from.
And the reasons why I'd still interpret the word extra as really "extra" are pretty simple:

1. The sentence before the one you just quoted deals with the 20 Karma rule for adepts of the magician's way that would allow normal adepts to gain extra power points => Within context, it's no surprise to see a special rule on this issue for a special adept type
2. This rule creates an "either or" connection between a power point an a metatechnique which is fine and dandy. Unfortunately the rules on initiation do know only one option that even involves metatechniques. And that's option 1 of three in total. This first option provides an increase of magic rating and the chance of learning a metatechnique. The increase of magic rating does provide a new power point. So there's the connection "magic rating / power point". This connection is not touched by the connection made on p. 24.

=> I'm still saying that the rules as written do say: Initiate, chose option 1, get magic + 1, thus get 1 power point and now choose between learing technique or getting extra power point ...

I'm not saying that I like that interpretation better than the one in the FAQ!
Actually I do't like either one. I'm totally in favour of letting them initiate just as other magicians ...

But instead of just errata'ing that sentence away, they decided to cripple magician adepts in an illogical fashion.

That's why I said: FAQ sanctioned interpretation, that is commonly used, but still doesn't really go along with what is written ...
Jason Farlander

If they were a magician first, that would make a lot of sense. They would, in fact, be magicians giving up some of their power to learn adept powers. But as it stands, they're regular adepts (who gain a Magic Point, a Power Point, and a Metamagic Technique with each initiation) who get shafted with each grade.

I guess I just choose to not see it like that. They are neither magicians giving up some power to be more like adepts nor *regular* adepts gaining a taste of the power of magicians who must make a similar sacrifice - rather, they just are what they are, a different type of awakened character that manages to blur the line between two of the more common varieties.

Regular adepts can not spend karma to gain magic power in-game: that power is a quality that separates physmages from all other adepts. As such, I dont mind that they have initiation mechanics separate and different from both normal adepts and mages.

I respect the opinion many people share that physmages need extra regulation to keep them balanced, but I dont share it. Having to choose between advancing as an adept or gaining the full benefits of initiation as a mage is enough for me.
Apathy
Most of the time, power points seem to be much more useful to physads than magic points are to mages. There are only a few things that the magic rating directly impacts, and even then the additional magic is only one factor among several. Magic rating is included in calculating spell pool, but you'd have to initiate 3 times to increase your spell pool by 1. It can be a much bigger deal to add 4 counterstrike dice.

The real value to mages in initiating is the metamagics. Masking, Centering, and Shielding all kick major booty, and make up for the fact that going from magic = 6 to magic = 7 is mostly meaningless.

But a physmage gets the best of both worlds. Increases in his power points hugely impact his power level, and also getting access to the uber-metamagics can potentially make him way more powerful than the other characters. Granted, he's not able to project, but that's not always an overwhelming obsticle, and is necessary to keep him from possessing any astral thing that moves without breaking a sweat (possession metamagic+enhance skill(unarmed)=scary). The only thing that really holds him back is making him advance more slowly by making him choose between power points and metamagics.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Jason Farlander @ Aug 3 2004, 11:57 AM)
Having to choose between advancing as an adept or gaining the full benefits of initiation as a mage is enough for me.

But that's just it. They don't get to make that choice. Ever.

Adepts get a magic point, a power point, and a metamagic technique. A magician adept never gain those benefits with any single initiation. Traditional magicians gain a magic point, an effective power point for Magical Power, and a metamagic technique with each initiation. Magician adepts always get shafted with each initiation no matter which perspective you look at them through. And there is no good reason to explain the mechanic.
Cochise
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Semantics. you should be in politics. biggrin.gif

No, not just semantics. It's in the rules .. Unfortunately I don't have my MitS in reach to give a full quote ...

The adept that has fill access to adept powers, and for a paltry 5 generation points gains full access to sorcery and summoning.

That's the rule part of it. But not the description of adepts of the magician's way ...

The adept never has access to those powers normally. He is after all, an adpet with mage skills, not a mage with adept abilities.

And that's the part where you are wrong. They are described as magican's who have devoted some of their magical powers to adept powers and not as adepts that have sudden access to magical skills ...

This is a very important distinction.

Of course it is. Unfortunately your version doesn't fit with the desciption given for Adepts of the magican's way ...

He was never a mage, and he never gave up any abilities.

He sure is a magician who has channeled some of his magic into adept powers.

The ability to spellcast and summon is an adept power.

Only in terms of game mechanisms ...

I'm not sure what you are referring to here, My group has always interpreted adept initiation exactly as it is in the book. What is your issue with the rules?

See previous post of mine ...

Do you think the FAQ is an incorrect interpretation or do you just not like the rules in the book?

Incorrect interpretation of the rules as written. But the rules as written aren't better either ...
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 3 2004, 01:03 PM)
Traditional magicians gain a magic point, an effective power point for Magical Power, and a metamagic technique with each initiation.

After chargen, I blur the distinction between magical power and the magic attribute. I effectively treat it in a similar the same way i treat the body attribute of a character with dermal whatever - I list it as Magic 4[8] or something similar, with the second number being your magic attribute for the sole purpose of determining maximum rank in applicable adept powers (magic power included). Initiation increases both, just as spending karma to increase your body would. When you initiate, you can choose, instead of learning a metamagic technique, to gain a power point. That power point can then be applied to increase your you magic power - changing that 4[8] to a 5[8], for example - or it can be used to gain/improve other adept powers.

I'll go ahead and say at this point that I am perfectly comfortable with my take on this, and arguments that nitpick on details of the canon wording will not sway me. If you find this to be horribly unbalanced, or if you feel that it strays too far from what you think canon to be, then ignore it. I dont mind.

Edit: goddamn smileys. As a note, I find that under my interpretation the word "extra" as applied to choosing a power point seems appropriate

Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Jason Farlander @ Aug 3 2004, 12:49 PM)
After chargen, I blur the distinction between magical power and the magic attribute. I effectively treat it in a similar the same way i treat the body attribute of a character with dermal whatever - I list it as Magic 4(8) or something similar, with the second number being your magic attribute for the sole purpose of determining maximum rank in applicable adept powers (magic power included).  Initiation increases both, just as spending karma to increase your body would.  When you initiate, you can choose, instead of learning a metamagic technique, to gain a power point.  That power point can then be applied to increase your you magic power - changing that 4(8) to a 5(8), for example - or it can be used to gain/improve other adept powers.

I'll go ahead and say at this point that I am perfectly comfortable with my take on this, and arguments that nitpick on details of the canon wording will not sway me.  If you find this to be horribly unbalanced, or if you feel that it strays too far from what you think canon to be, then ignore it.  I dont mind.

For purposes of this example, I'm going to assume an adept purchased six levels of Magical Power during character creation.

Magician Adept: Magic 6 (Magical Power 6)
Grade 1: Magic 7 (Magical Power 6) + Metamagic Technique
OR: Magic 7 (Magical Power 6) + Power Point
OR: Magic 7 (Magical Power 7) + Nothing.

Now compare this to a normal adept.

Adept: Magic 6.
Grade 1: Magic 7 + Power Point + Metamagic Technique.

Now compare this to a traditional magician.

Magician: Magic 6.
Grade 1: Magic 7 (effective Magical Power 7) + Metamagic Technique.

The magician adept gets shafted no matter which perspective you look at it from. Yes, they have versatility, but they pay for that in other ways already (lack of Astral Projection for one), higher sensitivity to Magic Loss, and etc. Even if they just treated them like a normal adept, it would make sense. They could use the power point to improve Magical Power or obtain/improve some other adept power. No net gain would be given over other magicians, nor would they be penalized for no other reason than "just because."

On top of the balance issues, the penalty just doesn't make any sense. *Why* do they have trouble initiating more than *any* other magician? Because they have to split their focus between two different fields? That's already covered by the fact that they have to acquire and improve their Magical Skills as well as buy Magical Power instead of some other adept powers. It's just... I dunno.
Jason Farlander
Actually, in my scheme it would work like this:

Magician Adept: Magic Power 6 (Magic 6)
Grade 1: Magic Power 7 (Magic 7) + Metamagic Technique OR Magic Power 7 (Magic 7) + Power point.

There is no third option in this case, because Magic Power can not be increased beyond the overall Magic attribute. In fact, I would eliminate the distinction if the two ever became equal, because they would never have the opportunity to become unequal thereafter. A better example of what I'm talking about would be if the Physmage only spent 5 points on Magic Power:

Magician Adept: Power 5 (Magic 6)
Grade 1: Magic Power 6 (Magic 7) + Metamagic Technique OR Power 6 (Magic 7) + Power Point OR Magic 7
Ol' Scratch
Unfortunately, that's not how it works. You're basically describing normal initiation with a choice between a metamagic technique and a second Power Point (since the first is already being applied to Magical Power automatically).
Jason Farlander
Hence the "in my scheme" bit, and all the disclaimers about how this is "my interpretation" and "in my games." However, as I mentioned in an edit, I think this is reasonably close to the original intent of the rules, as it explains why they included the bit about the "extra" power point.

As a final disclaimer: this is how *I* run Magician Adept initiation in *my* games. I am happy with how it works out. YMMV.
Eyeless Blond
The magician adept gets shafted no matter which perspective you look at it from. Yes, they have versatility, but they pay for that in other ways already (lack of Astral Projection for one), higher sensitivity to Magic Loss, and etc. Even if they just treated them like a normal adept, it would make sense. They could use the power point to improve Magical Power or obtain/improve some other adept power. No net gain would be given over other magicians, nor would they be penalized for no other reason than "just because."

On top of the balance issues, the penalty just doesn't make any sense. *Why* do they have trouble initiating more than *any* other magician? Because they have to split their focus between two different fields? That's already covered by the fact that they have to acquire and improve their Magical Skills as well as buy Magical Power instead of some other adept powers. It's just... I dunno.

Game balance-wise, what you're forgetting is that the magician adept's "Metamagic technique" is more useful than the regular adept's "Metamagic technique". He has more choices as far as techniques, and many of them, like Masking, Shielding, or in particular Centering, are far more powerful and versetile than what the normal adept can get. Similarly, gaining a Magic point is also more useful to him than for a mage, because he can spend it on adept Power Points, which are in general far more powerful than the mage's equivalent of raising his Magic Attribute.

Realistically, the magical adept is giving up focus in one area in favor of versatility. I don't really see a problem with that.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Hence the "in my scheme" bit, and all the disclaimers about how this is "my interpretation" and "in my games." However, as I mentioned in an edit, I think this is reasonably close to the original intent of the rules, as it explains why they included the bit about the "extra" power point.

As a final disclaimer: this is how *I* run Magician Adept initiation in *my* games. I am happy with how it works out. YMMV.

I guess I was just confused about why you were presenting it as a counter-argument for what I was saying, then. I was saying that the rules as written are pretty lame, and you countered with your house rules which were pretty close to what I was advocating so question.gif... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Game balance-wise, what you're forgetting is that the magician adept's "Metamagic technique" is more useful than the regular adept's "Metamagic technique". He has more choices as far as techniques, and many of them, like Masking, Shielding, or in particular Centering, are far more powerful and versetile than what the normal adept can get. Similarly, gaining a Magic point is also more useful to him than for a mage, because he can spend it on adept Power Points, which are in general far more powerful than the mage's equivalent of raising his Magic Attribute.

Realistically, the magical adept is giving up focus in one area in favor of versatility. I don't really see a problem with that.

The part you're not quite getting is that while they do gain versatility, they've already paid for it in that they're a subpar magician and a subpar adept. Let's look at a magician adept who, for whatever reason, decided to be a dedicated magician and then a dedicated adept (and for the purposes of these examples, ignore the part about a magician adept not needing to follow these rules if they don't plan on taking Magical Power)...

Magician Adept at Creation: Magic 6(6)
Magician Adept at Grade 1: Magic 7(7)
OR: Magic 7(6) with metamagic technique.

Magician at Creation: Magic 6(6)
Magician at Grade 1: Magic 7(7) with metamagic technique.

The magician adept is already crippled despite having paid the exact same cost for to be a magician of the exact same tradition. Oh, and he doesn't have Astral Projection either, but received a few more spell points in exchange for that.

Magician Adept at Creation: Magic 6 with 6 power points of normal adept powers
Magician Adept at Grade 1: Magic 7 with 7 power poitns of normal adept powers
OR: Magic 7 with 6 power points of normal adept powers and a metamagic technique

Adept at Creation: Magic 6 with 6 power points of normal adept powers
Adept at Grade 1: Magic 7 with 7 power points of normal adept powers and a metamagic technique

Compared to either, they're screwed. And their versatility is already being paid for by that very thing -- they have to split the points they have between two different fields. Even if they specialize in one or the other, they're still wholly subpar with their counterparts, and it just continues to get worse and worse with each progressive initiation.
Cochise
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)

So why penalize him further?
Jason Farlander
Dr Funk: I wasnt really trying to argue with you. It was more along the lines of pointing out specific details in what you were saying that I disagreed with, and demonstrating how changing those details affected the way I handle things. I apologize for any confusion.
Apathy
I tend to agree with Eyeless Blond.

Mage: After 4 initiations, I go from Magic 6 to Magic 10, and learned Shielding, Masking, Divining, and Centering. The Metamagic's great, but going from Magic 6 to Magic 10 doesn't really give me much besides one additional point in my spell pool. It will only come up if I ever manage to learn a spell higher than force 6 (uncommon with TNs over 12). I can cast good spells, but I'm still the slowest member of the team, and am unlikely to have any high-level non-magical skills.

Physadept: After 4 initiations, I go from Magic 6 (6 Power Points) to Magic 10 (10 Power Points). I still can't do any of the super cool things that mages do, like levetation, invisibility, stunbolts, or whatever, but I can rule the roost in stealth, athletics, melee, and have attribute enhancements to make me better able to survive the gunfire.

Physmage: After 4 initiations, I go from Magic 4 (+2 Power Points) to Magic 4 (+5 Power Points) and learned Shielding. My 5 points of adept ability don't allow me to be as physically capable as the adept, but I can out-class the adept's distance strike with my stunbolt, out-climb his improved athletics using my levitation, out-stealth his improved stealth using my improved invisibility, etc. Unlike the mage, I'll only be able to cast spells at force 4 without getting physical damage, but that's high enough to cast lots of spells effectively, especially the unresisted ones.

So the physmage can't do physical things as intensely as the physadept, but more than compensates with his spells. He can't cast as well as the mage, but he's more survivable and faster.

Looking at it that way, would I trade 3 points of magic and 3 metamagics for 3 power points? Maybe, depending on the circumstances.

Ol' Scratch
You left out the part where the normal adept also has four metamagic techniques. Masking, Centering (Physical and Magical), Centering (Ranged), and oh I dunno Divining. Now no one other than a more powerful magician will be able to tell if he's an adept, he's fantastic with his Divination ability as well as his Physical and Ranged Combat skills, and he can predict the future.

The magician adept has nothing. Except being a very weak adept with a fraction of the powers the normal adept has, a very weak magician limited to Force 4 spells and spirits (unless he wants to take Physical damage), and a single metamagic technique. Anyone with astral perception will be able to tell everything about him, he won't be able to get past wards without dropping all of his powers and spells and deactivating all of his foci, and he can't see brief glimpses of the future like the normal magician or even more detailed glimpses like the adept. If the normal adept has Astral Perception, he's even superb with that thanks to Centering, too. Oh, and the adept magician can't project like the full mage, and he has to blow another two power points just to gain astral perception.
Apathy
So, it's a comparison between
Physadept:
10 power points
4 metamagical techniques (excluding those linked to sorcery or conjuring-invoking, possession, shielding, reflecting, absorbing, channeling, etc.)

-versus-

Physmage:
5 power points
1 metamagical technique
The ability to cast force 4 spells
The ability to conjure force 4 spirits or elementals.

Doesn't seem so lop-sided to me, but then I've always thought that spells were over-powered in the game anyway.
Ol' Scratch
This time you left out:

Magican Adept:
-5 Build Points vs. the adept
Limited to Force 4 ward creation
More vulernable to Magic Loss
More vulnerable to geasa breakage

...not to mention...

Full Magician:
Astral Projection
Astral Perception for free
Magic 10
Ability to cast up to Force 10 spells
Ability to summon up to Force 10 spirits
Ability to create Force 10 wards
4 Metamagic Techniques
+5 Spell Points over the magician adept
Less vulnerable to geasa breakage
BitBasher
The magician adept has nothing. Except being a very weak adept with a fraction of the powers the normal adept has...
But the ability to cast spells and summon spirits with a good degree of competency.

...a very weak magician limited to Force 4 spells and spirits (unless he wants to take Physical damage)...
That the normal adept cannot perform at all in any way shape or form, giving him abilities unmatched by a normal adept.

...and a single metamagic technique...
Which could be anything he wanted.

...Anyone with astral perception will be able to tell everything about him, he won't be able to get past wards without dropping all of his powers and spells and deactivating all of his foci, and he can't see brief glimpses of the future like the normal magician or even more detailed glimpses like the adept...
WHich only applies if he didn't choose masking.

...If the normal adept has Astral Perception...
Which cists the normal adept the exact same amount as the physical magician...

...he's even superb with that thanks to Centering, too...
And so is any adept that chooses that ability, including a physical mage.

...Oh, and the adept magician can't project like the full mage and he has to blow another two power points just to gain astral perception...
Neither can any adept without buying that power, that's not special.

If you're going to make a valid comparison make it from the point of view of comparing him to an adept, which he is according to the rules, not a mage, which he is not. He is an adept who has spent some power points and 5 build points to cast spells and summon.

You can't compare one character to two others and complain that he doesn't have all the powers of both archtypes. I haven't seen a valid argument for why a character should have all the benefits of two disparate magical types other than "it should be". If you put a VCR in a sammy, he's not going to be as good of a sammy or a rigger than if he was dedicated to one or the other. Compromising power gains versatility.
Ol' Scratch
Here's the thing you're missing: They start off balanced against each other. Whatever advantage the magician adept gains, he loses something in return. Compared to an adept, he had to sacrifice another 5 Build Points and a full power point for each level of Magical Power he desires. That's a power point not spent on something else. Compared to a standard magician, he loses astral perception and astral projection and will, at absolute best, be equal to them in spellcasting and conjuring ability.

But with each and every single initiation, the standard magician or adept gains a large advantage (either another metamagic technique or a power point) over the magician adept. At grade 1, that's a single power point or metamagic technique he's behind. At grade 2, it's two. At grade 3, it's three. At grade 4, it's four.

I don't know why you can't see it.
Apathy
Doc Funk, how many PCs have you seen actually learn a force 10 spell? And you still won't be able to summon the force 10 spirit, you can only summon up to charisma, not magic rating, before taking physical damage.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I understand you don't think it's balanced. I don't share your opinion, but I understand it.
Ol' Scratch
About as many as I've seen walking around with other characters on the Grade 4 spectrum of power toting only a pathetic little Force 4 spell or Force 4 spirit. None. But don't get upset with me just because you kept skewing your posts towards the magician adept while ignoring all the other penalties they have.
BitBasher
Here's the thing you're missing.

They start off balanced against each other. But with each and every single initiation, the standard magician or adept gains a large advantage (either another metamagic technique or a power point) over the magician adept. At grade 1, that's a single power point or metamagic technique he's behind. At grade 2, it's two. At grade 3, it's three. At grade 4, it's four.

Because There inherint thing I disagree with is that I don't believe they start blanaced. I believe the Physical Mage has a distinct advantage immediately after character creation, and the character development is not designed to be linearly compared to each other. Physads are specialists, Mages are specialists, Physical Mages are Generalists, and I don't feel it's ever fair to compare them directly.

I understand what you are saying, I just very much disagree with it.

Even if you gave them a technique every level in addition to a power point they would still lose out to either a pure adept of equal levels or a pure mage of equal levels, because they have to divide their magic points between the two. Except, of course, because of centering in a lot of ways the physical mage would whomp all over the pure mage like silly.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (BitBasher)

Even if you gave them a technique every level in addition to a power point they would still lose out to either a pure adept of equal levels or a pure mage of equal levels, because they have to divide their magic points between the two.

I think you have just stumbled across the *exact* reason the good doctor disagrees with that particular limitation.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Aug 3 2004, 06:36 PM)

Even if you gave them a technique every level in addition to a power point they would still lose out to either a pure adept of equal levels or a pure mage of equal levels, because they have to divide their magic points between the two.

I think you have just stumbled across the *exact* reason the good doctor disagrees with that particular limitation.

You left off my "except"... Also, as soon as the casting attribute hits 6 under that system the Phys Mage will basically beat 4 shades of ass out of any Pure Mage, because the magic attribute isn't that important for casters over 6, while the Physical Mage can then keep buying Physad powers. You end up with a mage that can't project or percieve that can go to town on adept powers, while it cost no more build points then a normal full mage. The imbalance happens later in that scenario.
Apathy
I don't ignore the penalties. I agree that they can be extreme. But my perspective prioritizes things differently than yours.

The only thing that makes a lot of difference between high-level initiate mages and non-initiate mages is the metamagic. So, a level 10 initiate will kick the ass of a level 5 initiate because he's got more metamagics, and the metamagics he's got are more effective. But the Magic Rating doesn't have much impact. Unlike your previous post implied, it doesn't impact the level of spirit you start taking physical drain on, charisma does that. It raises the level of spells you can cast, but nobody learns them higher than 6 anyway. So initiating as a mage only focuses on one thing: Metamagics.

If I'm a physmage and I grab a metamagic every time in lieu of a magic point, I only fall slightly behind the full mage in terms of practical power. The mage has a higher magic rating, but he doesn't really doanything with that stat.

Assuming you actually stayed around long enough to initiate more than 5 or 6 times, the metamagics start getting boring. At this point the full mage starts getting less bang for his buck, but the physmage can then start sinking his karma / additional initiations into more adept power points.

Please don't assume just because I don't agree with you that I don't understand you, or that I'm not smart enough to grasp the obvious. I understand what you're saying, but I just don't set the values of the various bonuses and penalties the same as you do.
Jason Farlander
I did leave off the "except," largely because I dont think its particularly valid. While the physmage can make his centering skill more useful than a full mage can, it takes multiple metamagic purchases - something that is crippling to his overall power progression. Furthermore, the level of usefulness physmages can theoretically achieve via centering will not in any way lead to a "whomping" of any sort, much less a silly whomping. Centering is a nice ability, but its not *that* nice.

Yes, Physmages, in theory, given hundreds of karma, will become more powerful than either mages or adepts... I'll buy that. I doubt this is a relevant concern for the vast majority of games, though.
derren
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 3 2004, 02:56 PM)

Magician Adept at Creation:  Magic 6 with 6 power points of normal adept powers
Magician Adept at Grade 1:  Magic 7 with 7 power poitns of normal adept powers
OR: Magic 7 with 6 power points of normal adept powers and a metamagic technique

can't be done as the physical magician MUST take at least one magical power point. Sorry just nitpicking rotate.gif I'm aware it was mearly an example.
derren
When a Magician's Way adept initiates, it says that the adept must choose between obtaining a power point or learning a metamagic technique. But other adepts get both a power point and a metamagic technique when they initiate. Is this correct? Why the difference?
Yes, that is correct. A normal adept (not on the Magician's Way), has these choices for initiation:

Raise Magic attribute by 1 + gain a power point + learn a new metamagic technique; or
Raise Magic attribute by 1 + gain a power point + alter astral signature; or
Shed a geas.
When an adept on the Magician's Way initiates, the adept has these choices:
Raise Magic attribute by 1 + gain a power point; or
Raise Magic attribute by 1 + learn a new metamagic technique; or
Raise Magic attribute by 1 + alter astral signature; or
Shed a geas.
Magician's Way adepts initiate differently because unlike regular adepts and magicians, they receive the advantages of both worlds. The modified initiation rules prevent them from becoming unbalanced and overpowered.

taken from www.shadowrunrpg.com. Seems pretty black and white to me.
Jason Farlander
What isnt "black and white" about that, to me, is whether the raise in magic attribute includes a raise in the virtual magic attribute for purposes of spellcasting. I say it does.
Fygg Nuuton
i originally houerules that they get the power point and metamagic, and can use the point on magic rating but i had no idea they got one or the other, so i didnt know it was a house rule.

they still werent as good as a mage or adept, but they weren't broken like people would think.

why do they get the shaft anyway?
BitBasher
The way we rule it is that the magic attribute for the purposes of spellcasting is equal to the number of points of magic the adept has spent on Magical Ability.
Apathy
Something I'm unclear about on physmages: are they allowed to choose physical centering (as in what adepts do) or the magical centering (like mages), or do they just get one, or the other?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012