Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you bring?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Fygg Nuuton
QUOTE (Siege)
Technically Fygg, a gun is only allowed one barrel accessory. Per canon.

-Siege

it was mostly a joke, i know the canon ruling, and i know they work against each other.

wierd things need wierd answers
Black Isis
QUOTE (The Question Man)
QUOTE (Luke Hardison @ Aug 5 2004, 11:46 PM)
Can't you just package all your clips in ziplock bags?  It's just one more action to get the gun ready if you do it that way.

There was something ... Shadowrun-esque that I read earlier this year, about hermetically sealed magazines that were resealable:  you could load them, seal them up, and inserting them into the gun would break the seal and ready the ammo.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Carbone monoxide and other Cleaning Chemicals remove scents from detection. It's a matter of preparation more than anything. Also you could use a platispray to seal it all in and then sterilize again.

Reponding to questions spin.gif

QM

You can't "sterilize" explosives or propellants. They "sweat" (no, that's not the right term, but it'll have to do) and send trace chemicals into the air that are what chemsniffers pick up. Wiping them down doesn't do anything, because the volatiles in the explosive will just enter the atmosphere again. It's not like germs or something. If you want to keep it from being picked up, you need to hermetically seal it.
The Question Man
QUOTE (Black Isis)
QUOTE (The Question Man @ Aug 6 2004, 01:27 PM)
QUOTE (Luke Hardison @ Aug 5 2004, 11:46 PM)
Can't you just package all your clips in ziplock bags?  It's just one more action to get the gun ready if you do it that way.

There was something ... Shadowrun-esque that I read earlier this year, about hermetically sealed magazines that were resealable:  you could load them, seal them up, and inserting them into the gun would break the seal and ready the ammo.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Carbone monoxide and other Cleaning Chemicals remove scents from detection. It's a matter of preparation more than anything. Also you could use a platispray to seal it all in and then sterilize again.

Reponding to questions spin.gif

QM

You can't "sterilize" explosives or propellants. They "sweat" (no, that's not the right term, but it'll have to do) and send trace chemicals into the air that are what chemsniffers pick up. Wiping them down doesn't do anything, because the volatiles in the explosive will just enter the atmosphere again. It's not like germs or something. If you want to keep it from being picked up, you need to hermetically seal it.

So you could sterilize it. Hermetically seal it, and then sterilize it again to be sure wink.gif.

<smirks>

QM

P.S.; Thanks for the term "Hermetically sealed". That's what I was trying to use in the first place. Typers block...
Siege
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)
QUOTE (Siege @ Aug 6 2004, 05:24 AM)
Technically Fygg, a gun is only allowed one barrel accessory.  Per canon.

-Siege

it was mostly a joke, i know the canon ruling, and i know they work against each other.

wierd things need wierd answers

It's an irritating canon ruling, but there ya go. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Ray Becker
My chracter genrally when going any where that isn't gurranteed to be a fight only has on his Mortimer Greatcoat, insulated gloves, wrist phone, credstick, small equipment pouch upon his belt, clothes and shade(low light and thermo built in.) Oh and various fetishes about my person.
tjn
Err, QM, you do understand that Carbon Monoxide when properly mixed with air, is an explosive as well? Chem Sniffers would register that too.

I have a very hard time believing a simple plastic bag would work, simply for the fact that if simple plastic bags could defeat dogs who could sniff out explosives there would be no such dogs. Either that, or I've suddenly become public enemy number one to Homeland Security.

If someone knows the permeation of a common zip up plastic bag, it'd be helpful on that end. My Google-fu is weak.

On hermetically sealing, the best seals utilize metals and thus would register on MADS. So we'll have to use a laminate which reduces the longevity of the seal. It would last to go through a Chem Sniffer, but it would eventually permate through enough to be detected if it were stored in one place for an extended period of time (couple months, maybe a year if it's particularly good).

Also, I'm not sure of the tempatures required for the laminate. I'm also not exactly sure of the stability of "the powerful propellant charge" within Hi-C bullets. This may be a sticking point, I don't know.

I agree with Kage that a hermetically sealled, fully ceramic/polyresin clip filled with Hi-C bullets might work until used (thus breaking the hermetic seal). Anything less and either Chem Sniffers or MADS will pick it up.

Solution? Dikote a carbon knife and give it to the Adept wobble.gif
Adarael
In relation to The Question Man's equipment:

I doubt very highly that a Hi-C Plastic item of *any* kind could be dikoted, due to the fact that the plastics would melt under the intense heat required in Dikoting. While nothing per canon specifically states you can't dikote it, nothing in canon specifically states you can't dikote sheets of paper, either.

The fact that carbon gets heated to a plasma before being layered on the surface as diamond, though, would indicate to me that such a thing is a no-go.

Second, Question Man: does your character actually wear the motorcycle helmet at the meet, or just keep it with him? I assume he doesn't wear it, but you never know.

As for the combo Gas Vent 2 and Silencer, I assume this was their rationale for recoil adjustment of 2, and someone just messed up. Kinda like the Alpha Combat Gun and it's 2 free points of recoil adjustment.
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (Adarael)
As for the combo Gas Vent 2 and Silencer, I assume this was their rationale for recoil adjustment of 2, and someone just messed up. Kinda like the Alpha Combat Gun and it's 2 free points of recoil adjustment.

The Alpha's RC of 2 is described as a 'chamber modification.'

It has always seemed very odd to me that a SA weapon (therefore capable of generating a max recoil of 1) needed a Rating 2 Gas Vent. If they were going to invent the combo for the single weapon anyway, why not just make it a Rating 1 Gas Vent / Silencer combo?
Kagetenshi
Is it explicitly called a gas vent? If not, the improved recoil compensation option from CC FC rules covers it.

~J
Garland
@ Luke

The AVS is SA/BF. So it could get some use out of that RC-2. Another reason why some don't much approve of this particular gun. BF-capable, silenced, lots of ammo...

And if it's also your ally spirit... love.gif
The Question Man
QUOTE (Adarael @ Aug 6 2004, 05:13 PM)
In relation to The Question Man's equipment:

Second, Question Man: does your character actually wear the motorcycle helmet at the meet, or just keep it with him? I assume he doesn't wear it, but you never know.

Oh boy, one typo and everybody thinks your a munchkin wink.gif ... <sheesh> Yes I know you cannot add a Imp. Gas Vent 2 to a weapon with another barrel mount like a Silencer ... me very very very bad.

As for the Motorcycle Helmet I keep it with me at meets. If outside and I think I can get away with it I keep it on. Not only does it filter the air, but Mr.J can't read my expressions as well. An with the Security Helmet Modifications/Upgrades I plan to add later. Voice Masking, Trideo Recording and Transmitting, etc, etc, drek cetera ... (ala the "Gargoyle" set ups from Snow Crash) Besides, I keep waiting for some Mr. Johnson to shake his finger at me and say "No Disintegrations" <QM hangs his Helmeted head in shame> wink.gif

When not wearing it, the non standard Modifications can be used later as a passive surveillance camera, Ultra sound motion sensor, etc...

I just visit my contact Joan "R" Cleese (a cross between the Secretary in Grosse Point Blank and "R" from Bond), unlike James Bond howerver I pay through the teeth for my gear. It's worth it though.

Cheers

QM
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Is it explicitly called a gas vent? If not, the improved recoil compensation option from CC FC rules covers it.

~J

QUOTE (BBB @ p.278)

Ranger Arms SM-3:  This weapon features a combined barrel-mounted, Rating 2 gas-vent recoil compensator and silencer ...

Yes, it's a gas vent. In my games, there are no silencers, only suppressors (kinda like real life), and they give RC of 1. Any 'combination' setup is removed, and is now just that, a suppressor with a RC of 1. But by canon, it's both, and cannot exist. If you're going to go by canon, just don't ask questions.

QUOTE (Garland)
The AVS is SA/BF. So it could get some use out of that RC-2.

I don't quite understand what you meant by this; I never said a single thing about the AVS. IMO, that inability of the AVS to accept any decent RC is it's single drawback, and the primary reason people don't use it over all other firearms. That combined with it's flechette only restriction. IMG, no one uses it as a primary but the NPC's: I changed the price, availability, and a few other features. It's not so great anymore.

Although, that said, you can have an AVS with full recoil compensation. GM's, make your players look away now.

[ Spoiler ]
Garland
Ah, I didn't know you were refering to the sniper rifle. I thought your comment was about the AVS mentioned in the The Q Man's equipment list post, since it also has the "GV2, silencer" mods spelled out. My apologies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012