Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you bring?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Ol' Scratch
Yep. Because as we all know, 99% of all runs require you to waltz in through the front door, stop to get checked by security, and declare your business as "yeah, I'm hear to kidnap one of your scientists." Sneaking past or bribing security? Perish the thought.
CONAN9845
Now I think it is time for YOU to go reread the first two sentences of the very first post, along with the title of the thread. Something about a "meet" as opposed to the actual mission. What do you "generally" carry? Not on a mission, but in "general". If your list is everything you carry on a mission, then good luck to you. I don't usually sneak into a place to "meet" anyone. That's silly.
nezumi
QUOTE (CONAN9845)
Can't say anything for 2060's, but in 2004, I work in a government building, and hardly any of what you guys have listed would be allowed past the guard post. MADs and X-rays aside, all bags are thoroughly checked. When I first started, they took my multi-tool and metal butter knife away. It's crazy.

Can't say anything for your agency, but I walked in for two months with a pocket knife in my backpack before they noticed it. They do use an X-ray, but don't bother going through the bags. In theory, they confiscate anything knife-like, which gets ridiculous (we had a birthday party and had to cut the cake with spoons), but things like duct tape? I could throw all sorts of stuff in my backpack and they wouldn't look twice.

Then again, they also know me, and after setting off the MAD for two years with my boots, they're pretty tired of checking me over for anything.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (CONAN9845)
Now I think it is time for YOU to go reread the first two sentences of the very first post, along with the title of the thread. Something about a "meet" as opposed to the actual mission. What do you "generally" carry? Not on a mission, but in "general". If your list is everything you carry on a mission, then good luck to you. I don't usually sneak into a place to "meet" anyone. That's silly.

So now you're saying most runners work in a federal, high-security building? Or are you saying a club bouncer is going to stop you for carrying a bottle of Aspirin and some handiwipes?
CONAN9845
Yeah, I don't get hassled anymore either. Of course, I do have an ID now. We get calls all the time though, from all over the Northeast, of people trying to get in with all sorts of things. Not for the purpose of causing trouble... just innocuous items that they didn't think twice about. I am sure a lot of people slip through, and it has to be easier after they know you (trust can be dangerous).
CONAN9845
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
So now you're saying most runners work in a federal, high-security building?  Or are you saying a club bouncer is going to stop you for carrying a bottle of Aspirin and some handiwipes?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying, now move along.
Ol' Scratch
I would, but I'm terrified that I might get stopped along the way 'cause I have a Dr Pepper in my hand and a Swiss army knife, a lighter, three rubberbands, a half-empty bottle of Tylenol, a matchbook, a handkerchief, a notepad, a pen and mechanical pencil, about $3.00 and change, a pager, more keys than God, and assorted devices on my keychains (including a flashlight and a can opener) all in my pockets. Oh, and my wallet that's also sporting several credit cards, two IDs, a driver's license, several company cards, and about $50. They're gonna stop me for sure. Especially if I head towards a pub or other public place.

And to think that I'm only wearing a pair of blue jeans and a short-sleeved shirt.
CONAN9845
No, just the knife, although I would personally let you through with it for the $53. Oh, and the tylenol... after dealing with you, I'm gonna need it.
Botch
Do I even want to know what the custom Retribution spell is?

Might have got the name wrong, but I'm fairly sure it is a canon spell. The one where is someone hits you in melee and you get at least 1 net success on the resist they take the damage that was meant for yourself. biggrin.gif
Ol' Scratch
That's not a canonical spell. The closest one I can think of is Redirect, but that only applies against melee attacks... and its an Instantaneous spell with which you have to hold your action to use.
CONAN9845
QUOTE (Botch)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 5 2004, 10:58 AM)
Do I even want to know what the custom Retribution spell is?

Might have got the name wrong, but I'm fairly sure it is a canon spell. The one where is someone hits you in melee and you get at least 1 net success on the resist they take the damage that was meant for yourself. biggrin.gif

That's awesome! Not 3rd Edition canon that I am aware of, but awesome nonetheless.
Botch
QUOTE (Siege)
I stopped wondering at the "dose of cutters" entry.

-Siege

A single application of nanite "cutters". For those of you who don't know "cutter" nanite replicate at burn-out levels in carbon-based materials (flesh). For 2 minutes they will replicate at a terrifying speeds leaving leaving behind a pile of red goo. The delivery system is a large (troll sized) plastic pen containing a dart holding the "cutters", the propullsion system is a large non-ferrous spring.
Austere Emancipator
I'm pretty sure Siege knows what Cutters are. I believe he meant he stopped wondering about the weird gear, because he's carrying nearly impossible-to-get-at nanobots worth 100,000 nuyen.gif on the street.
Botch
That's not a canonical spell. The closest one I can think of is Redirect, but that only applies against melee attacks... and its an Instantaneous spell with which you have to hold your action to use.

Sorry, my bad.

Its been a while since Botch has been out to play.

Retribution is a custom spell based on redirect.

As to the drain, I can't remember and I've lost my spell sheet.

The spell description from memory is as follows

Duration - Sustained
Range - Personal/Touch
Target - Physical, Power of attack.

The caster cannot inniate attacks, leave combat or attempt non-combat actions whilst the spell is in effect. The caster cannot use any weapon that has not been purchased with essense and then only melee weapons. At time of casting the mage can choose either his combat or spell pool to assist with his the resist test. 1 or more successes causes the mage to take 1 light physical wound (no save) and the aggressor has to save against the full damage. Any additional attacks the caster may have can only be used against said aggressor, if there are multiple opponents the attack can only be targeted at the last person to attack the target. The retun attack must be a melee/unarmed attack.

Feel free to assign your own damage code. It would be nice to get someone else's interpretation of the drain.

Ol' Scratch

That's not a spell description. That's a description for some kind of weird ruleset and/or a bastardized mutation of Immunity to Normal Weapons for a unique being or something.
Botch
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
I'm pretty sure Siege knows what Cutters are. I believe he meant he stopped wondering about the weird gear, because he's carrying nearly impossible-to-get-at nanobots worth 100,000 nuyen.gif on the street.

Yep, got it in an mission. Never found an opponent who was worthy of a nuyen.gif 100k take down. Misread the post.
Botch

That's not a spell description. That's a description for some kind of weird ruleset and/or a bastardized mutation of Immunity to Normal Weapons for a unique being or something.

Ok, you're right. Three bad posts in a row. I'll go away now and get the proper rules, been up too long to make sense anymore
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Botch)
Yep, got it in an mission. Never found an opponent who was worthy of a nuyen.gif 100k take down. Misread the post.

But you found the cutters valuable enough to not sell?

I'm not sure if I want to take away points for impracticality, or award them for style.

~J
Botch
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
But you found the cutters valuable enough to not sell?

I'm not sure if I want to take away points for impracticality, or award them for style.

~J

How much is your life worth?
TheScamp
Doc's $53.
Kagetenshi
Enough for me to spend that 100 kilonuyen on a reusable way to save it.

~J
Botch
Sometimes in the deepest shadows only the knowledge that you could take down a whale stops you from gibbering in the corner.
Kagetenshi
Ah, a lethal security blanket. See, now that's the kind of answer I was looking for smile.gif

~J
Botch
biggrin.gif
Fygg Nuuton
id spend my 100,000 on one of those troll pistol that your PC that rarely carries a gun carries nyahnyah.gif

also on the pastry, but only because i havent eaten breakfast yet biggrin.gif

my combat decker mage light sammy always carry cutters, because i need them for the awakened crabs i keep on getting eek.gif
Kagetenshi
It's a pasty, not a pastry.

~J
Odin
A savior medkit and a few trauma patches in case the meet goes wrong.
The Question Man
What do I bring to a Meet with Mr. Johnson?
Appropriate to the Meet site and client.

Corporate/Government/Wealthy

Weapons:
Shock Gloves (Improved Concealability ???)
Hi-C Plastic Knife
Choice of Heavy Pistol with Customizations (Signature Weapon): Conceal.
1. ARES Viper Slivergun (Silencer, Laser Sight, etc..) 6 (cool.gif
2. Browning Ultra-Power (Improved Gas Vent-2, Laser Sight, etc...) 6 (cool.gif
3. ARES Protector 10/3
Customizations (all Pistols):
1. Ceramic Components-3 (cc74) FCU +60%
2. Improved Concealability-2 (cc76) FCU +40%
3. Personalized Grip (cc82)
Special Note: all equipment is “Sterilized” to prevent Chemical Detection

Ammunition: (average 3 Regular Clips, and 1 Clip of everything else)
Capsule Rounds (Gamma-Scopolamine)-10
Gel Rounds (Stun Damage)-10
Hi-C Plastic Rounds (Power -1)-10
Regular Rounds -30 (+50 in Brief Case)

Armour (with Modifications): B 7+spec. /I 6+spec. Coneal. B/I
1. Forearm & Shin Guards 12 I+1
2. Form Fitting Body Armour (Full-body suit) 12 B4/I1
3. Rapid Transit Heavy Jumpsuit (Motorcycle Gear) 6 B2/I4
4. Motorcycle Helmet - I+2
5. Rapid Transit Hardliner Gloves (or Shock Gloves) - I+1
6. Secure Long Coat (with Concealable Holsters and Pouches) 10 B4/I2
Modifications:
1. Chemical Seal - #2 (3), #3 (3)
2. Fire Resistant - #3 (3), #6 (3)
3. Non-Conductive - #2 (2), #6 (3)

Gear:
Clothing Tres Chic (Current Fashion GQ Corporate Power Suit)
Spare Clips/Magazines x5 (+5 Clips in Brief Case)
Silencer (Browning Ultra-Power)
Holster, Quick-Draw Concealable x2

Compounds: (#1 either/or #2 Capsule Rounds)
1. DMSO/Gamma-Scopolamine
2. DMSO/Neuro-Stun X
3. Antibac/Binder/Zeta Interpheron (for #1 & #2 enough Doses the Team)

Slap Patches: (Long Coat)
1. Antidote Patch-8 (for Tranq, Antibac/Binder/Zeta Interpheron, etc...)
2. Stimulant Patch-6
3. Tranq Patch-3-10
4. Trauma Patch-6

CamGoggles (Conceal. 13)
Sterilization/Solvent Spray/Fogger
Bug Scanner (Brief Case)
Jammer (Brief Case)
White Noise Generator (Brief Case)
Light, Flashlight Pocket (Super Flash Pack/ChemSpray) (hip pouch)
Wire Clippers (Brief Case)
Restraints Key (Lone Star) (Hidden in shirt cuff)
Pocket Secretary (Long Coat)
Scanner ??? (Brief Case)
Telecomm, Portable Hands Free
Armoured Courier Case (spec.)
ChemSuit (spec.) (Brief Case)
Climbing Gear (spec.)
Gas Detection Gear (Brief Case)
Gas Mask and Air Tank (Motorcycle Helmet)
Micro Torch (Brief Case)
Microtronics Tool Kit (Brief Case)
Respirator (Brief Case)
Solvent Tool Kit (Brief Case)
Mask*** (Brief Case)
Sterilization Tool Kit (Brief Case)

Vehicle:
Harley Davidson Diablo (use stats from BMW Blitzen)

More Later

QM

P.S.: Yes, he's a paranoid and a cloths horse.

Edited to the Nth degree
Fygg Nuuton
can ther AVS have a silencer and gas vent, since they work against each other?

also alot of that stuff isnt canon, such as ceramic ares predators and improved gasvents, i think they got ditched with 2nd ed.
Siege
You can't tack on armor mods to SecureTech (secure) armor - jackets, long coats, etc. as per Cannon Companion, page 52.

-Siege
Bossemanden
Well that silencer on the Ares Viper Slivergun is a nogo.
1) it conflicts with the gasvent (both are barrel mounted)
2) The silencer will only work on SS or SA weapons. The sliver is a SA/BF weapon.

On the other hand, the ceramic mods and improved concealability are in compliance with the firearms costumization rules in Cannons Companion.

Edit: But the Sliver comes from the factory with a silencer on...stupid me. So its the Gasvent that has to go.
Kagetenshi
The slivergun already has a silencer built-in.

~J
xizor
well there is one case of a silencer and a gas vent being combined.
this is a canon example and i have no idea why the gun would need it but...
the Ranger Arms SM-3
this weapon features a combined barrel mounted, ratting 2 gas vent recoil compensator and silencer,
page 278 SR3

any way if any one else can explain why those two things were combined i would love to know.
tjn
QUOTE (The Question Man)

How does one "sterilize" explosive compounds?

Either it's explosive and will set off the Chem Sniffers, or it's not explosive and won't set it off. And if it's not explosive, the bullets won't fire.

Ceramic component guns are worthless if you can't sneak in the bullets as well.
Luke Hardison
Can't you just package all your clips in ziplock bags? It's just one more action to get the gun ready if you do it that way.

There was something ... Shadowrun-esque that I read earlier this year, about hermetically sealed magazines that were resealable: you could load them, seal them up, and inserting them into the gun would break the seal and ready the ammo. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (xizor)
if any one else can explain why those two things were combined i would love to know.

"Why" as in "Why did the game designers decide to include the 2 on this weapon" or more like "How is that possible"? The second is much easier to answer.
JaronK
One assumes for the rifle it simply has a long enough barrel to include both.

JaronK
Fygg Nuuton
or the end of the barrel and the gasvent has a silencer screwed on them biggrin.gif
Austere Emancipator
Thing is, if you simply had the two one after the other (as JaronK implies), only the first would be effective, the second only for show.

You could have the suppressor mounted over the gas vents/muzzle brake in such a way that all the gases escape at the muzzle when the suppressor is attaches. Or, you could simply forget about the gas vent altogether, because a sound suppressor reduces recoil in almost the exact same way.
Ol' Scratch
Most likely its a unique system that's neither a silencer nor a gas-vent, but has the game effects of both. Hence it not being availabe as an accessory for other weapons.
Raygun
What do I bring to the meet...

A Coke and a smile.

And sometimes Ted Nugent.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Luke Hardison @ Aug 6 2004, 01:46 AM)
Can't you just package all your clips in ziplock bags?  It's just one more action to get the gun ready if you do it that way.

There was something ... Shadowrun-esque that I read earlier this year, about hermetically sealed magazines that were resealable:  you could load them, seal them up, and inserting them into the gun would break the seal and ready the ammo.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I personally allow something like this, though a runner not enterprising enough to have his or her own shop has to buy the entire magazine. Needless to say, the sealing is one-use, but afterwards the magazine is perfectly ordinary and usable.

Edit: I didn't notice the resealable part. That seems unlikely; there a link somewhere?

~J
Siege
Technically Fygg, a gun is only allowed one barrel accessory. Per canon.

-Siege
Garland
Hang on, how does one dikote a plastic knife?
Austere Emancipator
You cast Endure Elements on it first. Or was that in The Other Game?
Lantzer
QUOTE (tjn)
QUOTE (The Question Man @ Aug 5 2004, 06:00 PM)

How does one "sterilize" explosive compounds?

Either it's explosive and will set off the Chem Sniffers, or it's not explosive and won't set it off. And if it's not explosive, the bullets won't fire.

Ceramic component guns are worthless if you can't sneak in the bullets as well.

I dunno - I'm wondering if he has an autoclave in his doss.

And now I'm wondering if you can safely autoclave bullets. I wonder if my wife wil let me... nah, never mind. biggrin.gif
Drain Brain
If you're a preparedness nut, always arrange meets near the local theatre scene...

As a sometime theatre techie, I have to say that almost everything that you guys have mentioned (save the obviously offensive items like guns and real game stuff like nanite cutters) are standard belongings for Theatre Technical staff. Not to mention that they ALWAYS wear black clothing which is, often, very sturdy - so I can foresee the 2060's versions being armoured (and justifiably so).
The Question Man
QUOTE (Luke Hardison)
Can't you just package all your clips in ziplock bags? It's just one more action to get the gun ready if you do it that way.

There was something ... Shadowrun-esque that I read earlier this year, about hermetically sealed magazines that were resealable: you could load them, seal them up, and inserting them into the gun would break the seal and ready the ammo. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Carbone monoxide and other Cleaning Chemicals remove scents from detection. It's a matter of preparation more than anything. Also you could use a platispray to seal it all in and then sterilize again.

Reponding to questions spin.gif

QM
The Question Man
Forgot something!!!

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES

1. Check security rating of location
2. Arrive early if possible
3. Check locations security weapons detectors and Bribery of Security
4. Reconnaissance/Surveillance & Counter Surveillance (Magic, Astral, Physical, Matrix, Physical, & Electronic)
5. Dress appropriately to blend in
6. Map out escape routes and alternative egress points (i.e.; C-12 Plastique Explosive Shaped Charge escape route)
7. Transportation to and from site (check routes and factor in Security Rating)
8. Multiple rendezvous points and/or Safehouses
9. Passive Magic and Electronics in Mr. Johnson’s presence
10. Choose a Face before hand. Let him communicate with Mr. Johnson’s
11. Protect Mr. Johnson (Detect Enemy/Armour/Barrier Spell) at the meets
12. Scan everything and anything Mr. Johnson give you before and after for Tracers, BCW, etc...
13. Use Solvent/Sterilization Spray/Fogger. Do not leave any evidence behind
14. When the Meet is over conduct Counter Surveillance/Evasion/etc...
15. Hire backup muscle (magic or mundane) if you feel it necessary
16. And Remember; Shoot straight, Conserve ammo and Never... ever... cut a deal with a Dragon!!!

Cheers

QM
Nikoli
Locks in 2050+, the mechanical ones anyway are not the normal locks we see around today, which would require the use of a tensioning wrench, these 2050+ version is a cylidrical lock, the tumblers surround the key, not just above and below it, hence no tensioning bar in the 2050+ setup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012