Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damn the rules! ;-)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Topper28
Well this sucks big time! Making my first SR character in 7 years, and I really had my mind set up for a cool cat using 2 HPīs, one in each hand for primary weaponry!

.....then I find out that smart link is not allowed (or other such devises)!!

Damn the man!!! cool.gif

My character should really only be wielding 1 type of weapon, but I just canīt figure out what. (Damn, he would look cool with 2 massive HPīs in his hands, some light armor and a pair of sunglasses) I need him to be extremely cool in his weapon choice and I feel that the "ordinary" weapon choices are too common.

This cat needs to ooze of coolness. What do I do???

My GM wonīt allow me to design my own weapons so donīt go there guys! biggrin.gif

My primary character idea is this:

Need 1 weapon(s) (Hoped to be 2 HPīs)
maybe a knife tugged away in his boots.
Retract. Spurs
some armor

My character will not use a secondary firearm!! (Unless itīs the second HP.... cool.gif )

He rides an old Harley

A few gadgets

General idea: He has to be cool!!

Gotz any ideas M8Yīs??
Rory Blackhand
In my opinion "cool" is an attitude. You should be able to make anything cool just thru the force of your own self confidence and willpower, no matter what it is. That is part of being cool. You seem to have a pretty good idea of what you want. Just keep in mind that what you think is cool the other players might not.

You can use two pistols as weapons by taking ambidexterity as an edge. You just won't need a smart link.
Nylan
Whenever I do that "John Woo-style" double HP thing with a character, I go Amibidexterous Adept with lots of Improved Ability: Pistols. The lack of a smartlink when using the two pistols hurts, but your extra dice make up for it. And, adepts look really cool...I mean, to anybody else, he'll just look like he has Pistols 12 or something. Think 'Equilibrium' wink.gif
Kagetenshi
Get two heavy pistols and two induction pads, and only fire one at any given time. Or, get ambidex and use one or both depending on whether you need accuracy or volume of fire.

~J
xizor
after looking at the rules again i wonder
Does the smart link modifyer apply if only one of the two guns is smartlinked ?
Cynic project
With two smart links,I say damn the rules.I mean can't you use two laser sites?
Kagetenshi
Nope. No such modifications work when firing two guns at once, whether a single smartlink, dual smartlinks, or single or dual laser sights.

~J
JaronK
With ambidexterity and aptitude: pistols you can make one heck of a pistol adept. You don't need laser sights, just two Burst Fire pistols with as much recoil compensation as you can get (Gas Vent 4 and Personalized Grips come to mind). With improved ability: pistols 6. That gives you 12 dice to roll when firing each pistol before combat pool with a base TN of 3. Not too shabby.

JaronK
Raife
Instead of using cyberware, make a "way of the gun" physical adept. He looks something like this:

A: Attributes
B: Magic
C: Skills
D: Resources
E: Race

Max out quickness and intelligence, followed by body and charisma (cus he is cool). For your adept powers take: Improved Reflexes 2, Pain Tolerance 3, Improved Pistols 3.

Take Pistols(Heavy) 5(7) and suddenly you're rolling 10 dice for pistols shots... who needs a smartlink!

P.S. If you want to be cool, skip the Ares Predator and go with a Colt Manhunter. Fewer people use the weapon.
Edward
Burst fire is over rated. With pistols at least.

You are better working with skill.

Recoil comp is bulky and makes your guns to easy to find (I like to keep conceal at least 6 so I can walk down the street safely with a concealed holster)

And the mashie pistols do the same damage in burst fire as a heavy pistol single shot. Take a customised grip and you have no recoil problems at all while maintaining conceal ability.

Edward
Cynic project
14S coming from a pistol isn't shaby. A base of 11M I love Ex-ex.
Kagetenshi
Machine pistols do have one edge on heavy pistols, and that's the +1 to dodge the shot. Not worth it, though.

I may have asked already, but would 8L or so be more reasonable for a machine pistol?

~J
Austere Emancipator
6M, and 6M for Light Pistols as well. In my opinion, and that of a few others, if I recall the last few threads on the matter correctly.
Young Freud
QUOTE (Raife)
Instead of using cyberware, make a "way of the gun" physical adept. He looks something like this:

Take Pistols(Heavy) 5(7) and suddenly you're rolling 10 dice for pistols shots... who needs a smartlink!

P.S. If you want to be cool, skip the Ares Predator and go with a Colt Manhunter. Fewer people use the weapon.

Why not just use two Super Warhawks and start calling yourself "Roland"? grinbig.gif

On a bit more serious note, what if you used two Roomsweepers loaded with buckshot instead?
FlakJacket
I've know a lot of people that allowed this by getting the PC to buy two induction pads and two processor units plus a little doohickey to link the two- something along the lines of .1 essence and 600 nuyen. Of course you just have to keep in mind that anything you get the GM to okay, they can have their NPC's use. And there are usually more of them than you. biggrin.gif

For recoil compensation, with pistols you should definately take personalised grips and a heavy barrel on each weapon. Instant two points of compensation each with no reduction in concealability or mounts. If you want to go with fully automatic pistols, check out Raygun's site- specifically the Glock pistols/FSSG pages and his Burst Fire Control edge.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Young Freud)
Why not just use two Super Warhawks and start calling yourself "Roland"? grinbig.gif

Because he'd need a Thompson gun, not dual pistols.

~J
Edward
There are relatively few heavy pistols that will burst fire.

With these the only problem is recoil.

If you go to full auto pistols the recoil will be far to much (unless you use suppressive fire but why bother) also the lower base damage code will be a problem when dealing with hardened armour, vehicles and barriers.

Edward
Young Freud
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Young Freud @ Aug 29 2004, 04:22 PM)

~J

I'm not "talking about the Man", I'm talking about the Gunslinger. And, if he did use a Thompson, he'd also be immortal, because, well, you know...
JaronK
Burst fire is fun because you can look at a base of 11S before loading up special rounds, and it's harder to dodge. Sure, it's bulky, but sometimes stealth isn't needed. When it is, bring a slivergun or some other more compact weapon, but if your signature style is double pistols, you absolutely should have a pair of custom built burst fire psycho pistols for when the going gets rough.

JaronK
Dice
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

No need to lose your head over it... spin.gif
Digital Heroin
*innocently whistles because he did the math, and with Gas Vent IVs on a pair of Thunderbolts, you can deal out leaden burstfire death two handed style, and only end up with a -3 penalty on the last of four bursts in a round*
BitBasher
Gas Vent 4, underbarrel weight, custom grip. no recoil.
JaronK
No underbarrel weights for pistols, though... as far as I know.

JaronK
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (JaronK)
No underbarrel weights for pistols, though... as far as I know.

JaronK

There's not even an underbarrel MOUNT on a pistol. No way, kemosabe.
Modesitt
If only that were true BitBasher...

By SR's rules, pistols can't use any underbarrel mounted accesories. Not even a laser sight.

The best way to get that last, elusive point of RC for 6 RC is to add a folding stock(Either from the CC modifications section or the accessory section in the CC). If that looks too stupid, the other option is to possess a strength of 5+ and have your GM be using the rules for high strength negating recoil.
BitBasher
Or a str 6. I'm not a dope smoking crack fiend... I allow a reasonable underbarrel weight on most postols. In reality most underbarrel weights are used ONLY on pistols. nyahnyah.gif
Nylan
So, I'm sorry, but do you guys actually do the 'no underbarrel mounts for pistols' thing? Thats just ridiculous. I know its the rules, but any GM worth anything will realize that its retarded. I mean, heck, their picture of an underbarrel weight in the CC has it mounted on a pistol.

Don't tell me that its 'my house rule' or whatever: yeah, I know, but thats possibly more stupid than all guns in the same class using the same ammo.
mfb
no. nothing is more stupid than all guns in the same class using the same ammo.

noothinggggggg.
JaronK
It's a balance and simplicity thing, not a realism thing. I'm sure we're all aware that real pistols can have underbarrel laser sights, but pistols can do so much already that they don't need to be THAT loaded down with crap. I mean seriously, can you see a real life pistol with a Gas Vent IV, underbarrel weight, and laser sight? At some point you have to say, hey, that thing's a SMG at least...

JaronK
skipprjoe
heh no doubtin
PiXeL01
Why not use SMGs instead? IIRC they can be "dualed" as well. A pair of Warriors with whatever accesseries you like and you should be rolling?
skipprjoe
as far as multiple smartlinks, as a game master, i always have allowed it because when you boil it down, all it is is one red crosshair and one green one, aint nothing special about that.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (JaronK)
I mean seriously, can you see a real life pistol with a Gas Vent IV, underbarrel weight, and laser sight?

Well, you see several ported ("Gas Vented") Glocks with underbarrel laser sights, and I'm sure someone has put a LAM on the USP Match. Although the latter wouldn't be possible in SR anyway, since you can't have both an underbarrel weigh and an underbarrel laser sight.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (skipprjoe)
as far as multiple smartlinks, as a game master, i always have allowed it because when you boil it down, all it is is one red crosshair and one green one, aint nothing special about that.

But being able to effectively use both is pretty special.

~J
Bigity
I'd allow it with an installed tactical computer.
Topper28
Hey guys! Thnx for all the replies!

I have reviewed your posts and come up with the following conclusion:

Since I only plan on firing my 2 legal shots per phase with some sort of HP, I donīt see the great need for RC other than some vents. Correct??

I will ask my GM to see if he will allow 2 smart link systems, and a tactical unit incorporated into the smart link systems, since I agree with whomever wrote it, that all it is, is a green bullseye and a red bullseye.

So what would I need of accessories if I get him to OK this constellation???

I read somewhere that the recoil carries over or something???

I guess my strong point in arguing with my GM should be, that I get a set of HPīs that only fires in SA mode. Dealing a max of 4 bullets per phase, and a max damage of 9M, with a max RC of +3 right???

Req
QUOTE (Young Freud)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 29 2004, 05:00 PM)

~J

I'm not "talking about the Man", I'm talking about the Gunslinger. And, if he did use a Thompson, he'd also be immortal, because, well, you know...

I do not kill with my hand; he who kills with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.

I kill with my heart. Motherfragger.
Bigity
No real gunslinger would ever use a thompson, at least not for very long.
FlakJacket
Adepts with the Quick Draw power are a thing of beauty. biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Bigity)
No real gunslinger would ever use a thompson, at least not for very long.

You were quite clearly not in Biafra.

~J
Bigity
Where in Gilead is that? smile.gif
FlakJacket
Africa, south eastern part of Nigeria to be exact. They're called search engines, might want to look into them.
Req
Clearly, Bigity, the world has moved on since your post.
FlakJacket
Sorry, am I missing a joke here or something?
Topper28
Getting back to topic........ cool.gif
Topper28
QUOTE (Topper28)

Since I only plan on firing my 2 legal shots per phase with some sort of HP, I donīt see the great need for RC other than some vents. Correct??

I will ask my GM to see if he will allow 2 smart link systems, and a tactical unit incorporated into the smart link systems, since I agree with whomever wrote it, that all it is, is a green bullseye and a red bullseye.

I guess my strong point in arguing with my GM should be, that I get a set of HPīs that only fires in SA mode. Dealing a max of 4 bullets per phase, and a max damage of 9M, with a max RC of +3 right???

Anyone want to reply to thies?? love.gif
Kagetenshi
As previously stated, while the system may be as simple as red bullseye, green bullseye, actually using it effectively isn't.

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Topper28)
QUOTE (Topper28 @ Aug 30 2004, 01:37 PM)

Anyone want to reply to thies?? love.gif

You only need 1 point of RC per bullet fired per combat phase, at most.

With a single pistol, the first shot has no penality, but produces +1 recoil that carries over to the second shot. All you really need to a personalized grip to cancel it out.

With two pistols, uncompensated recoil from one carries over to the other.
If you shoot each once, per combat phase you only need 1 point of RC on the first pistol. If you shoot the first pistol twice, you need 1 RC on each. If you shoot both pistols twice, then you only need 2 RC on the first and 1 RC on the second.
Paco
No book infront of me but isn't it possible to get 6 points comp out of a HP?
Heavy Barrel, Gasvent4, and Personal Grip ... I don't think the heavy barrel counts as a mount ... I'm probably wrong though smile.gif

[edit for bad, bad gramar wink.gif]
Kagetenshi
The gas vent destroys the point of a pistol, namely concealability.

Well, not entirely, as you can still use a proper quick-draw holster for one, but it kills a big advantage.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012