Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Putting his thing up in a (Semi) Official way.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
SpeedFreak
Allright people, lets get to disscussin'! biggrin.gif
Eyeless Blond
The key here, I think, would be "physically". Drive by datajack and you don't get the bonuses to physical Reaction/Init that most cyber gives you.

I'd even be fine with non-Riggers getting a Control Pool equal to their Reaction (or maybe half their Reaction while driving physically?). Of course it'd only be useful for dodging and soaking, but it'd be useful.
durthang
Granted, I know I'm going against half of cannon by mentioning realism, but it seems realistic to me. After all, the reason a rigger doesn't get the bonuses is because they aren't physically driving. Having fast hands doesn't help when one is using a VCR. On the other hand, when you're actually using the wheel, having fast hands will help quite a bit...
Moon-Hawk
I'm going with 'other' because for me, the jury is still out. On the one hand, I understand that the designers didn't want anyone to be able to be a better rigger than a rigger, but I really don't think that there's any danger of that. There's SO much that a rigger can do that no one else can do, mostly because of their control pool and drone networks. Not to mention security riggers. On the other hand, I don't like the current system of "you either have a rigger or you don't." What I mean by this is, the way things are, a rigger on a rigged 10-speed bicycle can take a couple of citymasters without too much trouble. (Okay, I MAY be exaggerating slightly, but hopefully it makes my point) If a wired up street sam could drive a bit better than Joe Average, or a physical adept could use their reactions and some IA:drive, that would be really fun. It would help there to be a spectrum of drivers. Instead of road-clowns at one end, a huge gap, then riggers at the other, you'd have everything in between. With riggers still at the top. They still wouldn't have good sensors or a control pool. The rigger will still win, but at least they can give him a challenge.

However, I'm still not convinced that giving everyone their full reflex bonus is the right way to go either. Count improved reaction but not extra dice? Extra dice but not reaction? Reaction enhancements are counted as one level lower? Frag it, give them their full bonus? Frag it, give 'em nothing, if they wanted to drive be a rigger? I don't know. Let's discuss.
SpeedFreak
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I'm going with 'other' because for me, the jury is still out.  On the one hand, I understand that the designers didn't want anyone to be able to be a better rigger than a rigger, but I really don't think that there's any danger of that.  There's SO much that a rigger can do that no one else can do, mostly because of their control pool and drone networks.  Not to mention security riggers.  On the other hand, I don't like the current system of "you either have a rigger or you don't."  What I mean by this is, the way things are, a rigger on a rigged 10-speed bicycle can take a couple of citymasters without too much trouble.  (Okay, I MAY be exaggerating slightly, but hopefully it makes my point)  If a wired up street sam could drive a bit better than Joe Average, or a physical adept could use their reactions and some IA:drive, that would be really fun.  It would help there to be a spectrum of drivers.  Instead of road-clowns at one end, a huge gap, then riggers at the other, you'd have everything in between.  With riggers still at the top.  They still wouldn't have good sensors or a control pool.  The rigger will still win, but at least they can give him a challenge.

However, I'm still not convinced that giving everyone their full reflex bonus is the right way to go either.  Count improved reaction but not extra dice?  Extra dice but not reaction?  Reaction enhancements are counted as one level lower?  Frag it, give them their full bonus?  Frag it, give 'em nothing, if they wanted to drive be a rigger?  I don't know.  Let's discuss.

Ok, why do you feel that giving them thier full bonus is not the way to go?
SpeedFreak
Oh and for all the no votes, give us some reasons for your vote. Tell us why this is a BAD THING, kay?
Moon-Hawk
I never made a statement that strong. I just said that I'm not sure they should get it all.
I'm concerned that giving every wired/boosted/enhanced character their full bonus will take too much away from the riggers. I think full bonus is probably okay, I'm just not sure.

On another point, characters using a datajack to drive (not a VCR) are still driving manually. I can't remember the datajack bonus. Is it +1 Reaction, -1 Handling, or both? My point is, it's still manual driving. They get a virtual dashboard to help out, and a lot more information about the vehicle, but they're still looking with their eyes and steering with their arms, so if you're talking about giving full bonus to manual driving, it should probably apply to people driving with just a datajack as well. The jack is a relatively insignificant bonus, anyway, it's certainly not going to be the game-breaking factor, here.
tjn
Keep in mind that the two biggest advantages a rigger has over a physical driver can not be duplicated in any other way. Eyeless Blond got one of them with the Control Pool, and the other is the TN mods for having a VCR.

Since vehicles have trouble soaking anything that gets past their armor, not being hit in the first place is very much preferable. With the gobs of Contol Pool available to a dedicated rigger, they can dodge damn near anything.

And with a dedicated rigger, their TN is most often a 2 and only rarely does it even climb above a 4. And when it rises above 6 it's akin to landing a helicopter at night, in the middle of a thunderstorm, on uneven ground. Something no normal driver has a chance in hell of accomplishing.

There is no danger what-so-ever of riggers having their niche encroached upon by non-riggers, so I personally see no need to take such a hard line with non-riggers.

However, I feel compelled to point out pg 140 of the BBB, under Determine Initiative, it specifically states that bonuses from boosted and wired reflexes, adept increases in abilities and magic do not effect a driver's initiative. Canon's fairly clear on the matter, but it's not like it's the first time I've ignored something from the book.
nezumi
I don't know what cbt.com is, but I really like kitties.

(I voted for the last option)
SpeedFreak
Wasn't attempting to scream at you Moon Hawk. Just saw some no votes with no explanations and was wondering what thier reasons were. smile.gif

TJN:

Yeah, the canon rules say no to this, but the reason why I'm doing this poll is because I feel that this rule is to unfair to non-riggers, and want to know what everyone else thinks.

To all responders:

Thanks for talking to me! biggrin.gif
SpeedFreak
QUOTE (nezumi)
I don't know what cbt.com is, but I really like kitties. 

(I voted for the last option)

CBT.Com is FanPro US's classic battletech website. Neko is a big fan of the cartoon by the same name, and he is somewhat of a looney toons at times. It is a tradition over at CBT.com to add the option of "Neko in a dress" to every poll.
Adarael
Rigger advantages under the old system:
-Massive speed increase
-The associated 'multiple actions per turn' that went with that (so they could drive & fire multiple times)
-Target # for manouver/crash tests reduced by twice their VCR rating
-Massive control pool
-Total integration with vehicular systems ("Of course I can make a phone call while shooting the rear turret and cooking bacon! All the systems are rigged!")

Non-Rigger advantages under the old system:
-Easier to bail out right before that AVM smacks your car.
Um...

Um......

Rigger advantages under the new system:
-Massive speed increase
-Associated multiple actions per turn
-Target # for manouver/crash tests reduced by VCR rating
-Massive control pool
-Total integration with vehicular systems.

Non-rigger advantages under the new system:
-Massive speed increase
-Associated multiple actions per turn

All this new system means is that a rigger won't be able to *totally* yawn at every non-rigger piloting a vehicle, ever. It means that once in a while, a mundane guy MAY be able to surprise or outmanouver a rigger with some clever thinking.
Eyeless Blond
This is kinda why I wanted to add in a Control Pool for non-riggers as well. Riggers will still have a larger pool, as well as the integration, reduced TNs, and drone networks as advantages, but this way a "vehicle-Zen" based adept won't be completely useless.
ShadowGhost
I don't agree to giving a control pool to a non rigger, but it seems silly that you can do tons of things in melee combat, but next to nothing when driving.

Of course, trying to drive and fire a gun at the same time should have rediculous TNs for a non-rigger, but I see no reason why your initiative suddenly becomes next to nil just because you're behind a wheel instead of behind a door, wall etc.

Of course, a non rigger has one advantage when driving a vehicle. The vehicle can take serious or deadly damage and you won't suffer dumpshock grinbig.gif
Eyeless Blond
Yes, but you are going to have a real problem with the subsequent crash test, and will probably have to resist something in the same neighborhood as a result.

I agree that a non-rigger probably shouldn't get as large a control pool as a rigger does, but they should be able to dodge hits a *little*. Maybe Reaction/2? That's a pretty pathetic 1-2 dice for most normal people, and only like 4-5 for most well-wired street sams, but it should help a little.
Kanada Ten
Reaction/Handling?
Moon-Hawk
Speedfreak: We're cool. I just wanted to make it clear what I was saying and what I wasn't not saying. question.gif Or something.

Anyway, I think I've been won over on the speed question. Full speed for all. Yay!

About this control pool thing, I dunno. Maybe a teeny-tiny one. Very tiny. A 'vehicle adept' could get mad dice on maneuver tests and such with improved ability. But I'm very wary of giving anyone anything like a control pool.
Kaneda Ten's idea of Reaction / Handling is interesting. That makes sure no one can get more than half what a rigger does, but that could still leave someone with a lot of dice. It's not hard to modify a vehicle to get it's Handling down to 2. Combine that with a street sam's reaction and you've got a pretty respectable pool, and I think that's too much.

This is a good thread.
Botch
K-10s got it IMO
Sargasso
Enhanced reflexes are incompatible with driving a vehicle for a smiple reason, the controls of a car don't react that quickly. When a Character rigs, they interface directly with the car at the middle brain. It cuts down on all the thoughts and steering wheel motion, etc. Riggers interface with cars in a way a wired samurai cannot match.
SpeedFreak
QUOTE (Sargasso)
Enhanced reflexes are incompatible with driving a vehicle for a smiple reason, the controls of a car don't react that quickly. When a Character rigs, they interface directly with the car at the middle brain. It cuts down on all the thoughts and steering wheel motion, etc. Riggers interface with cars in a way a wired samurai cannot match.

Ok, now to me this would seem to be reflected in the control pool and reduced TN's.

Would you be happier if the player had to spend an amount of nuyen to "modify" the vehicle to be able to keep up with his/her enhanced reactions? If so, what kind of amount (in percentage of the vehicle's base cost) do you feel would be appropriate? And what kind of CF/ load do you think this type of mod will take?
iPad
Alot of driving is an enevitability, that sensors and instantanious control removes.

Give riggers something or they are poo.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (iPad)
Alot of driving is an enevitability, that sensors and instantanious control removes.

Give riggers something or they are poo.

Even giving non-riggers their Reaction/Initiative boosts while driving *and* the more controversial limited Control Pool that I suggest won't make riggers useless. Far from it; they're still better drivers than a non-rigger can ever hope to be, for the various reasons mentioned above. It's just (IMO) a bit more plausible this way.

As for Sargasso's comment, I don't buy it. Even with power assisted systems, maneuvering systems are still mostly mechanical. Saying that a sam shouldn't get his reaction increases because the car's steering column can't keep up is like saying that an adept shouldn't be allowed to make more than one attack with his katana because it can't keep up with the adept's hands. Or that an adept can't use his Improved Quickness to run faster because the pavement can't keep up with him. biggrin.gif

Reaction/Handling could work for non-rigger control pool, but in most cases that would reduce a normal person's pool down to 1 die, or maybe 2 if the vehicle were really easy to drive.
iPad
Across an adventure a rigger gets very little chance to shine, I like the rules as they are.

Initiative boosting 'ware affects the body as a whole and the effects in the game reflect the faster path ways for (not game) reactions. Striking, pulling triggers, ducking, diving, rolling etc. are simple actions, controling a car isnt, its an artificial environment, where your not immersed in what is happening and rely on mirrors, speedometers, pedles gears, steering wheel etc. or are sat in a car waiting for the driver to swing it round so they can open fire on the car behind them.
Kremlin KOA
Reaction/Handling could work for non-rigger control pool, but in most cases that would reduce a normal person's pool down to 1 die, or maybe 2 if the vehicle were really easy to drive.

Give me a street sam instead of a rigger then... vehicle handling can be reduced below 2 quite easily... at 1 I get full reaction, and at 0... INFINITE CONTROL POOL!!!!!!!!! eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif can we say 1,000,000 soak dice every time we are hit... for a dodge test at tn 4...
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (iPad)
Across an adventure a rigger gets very little chance to shine, I like the rules as they are.

Initiative boosting 'ware affects the body as a whole and the effects in the game reflect the faster path ways for (not game) reactions. Striking, pulling triggers, ducking, diving, rolling etc. are simple actions, controling a car isnt, its an artificial environment, where your not immersed in what is happening and rely on mirrors, speedometers, pedles gears, steering wheel etc. or are sat in a car waiting for the driver to swing it round so they can open fire on the car behind them.

You'd be surprised what you can get used to. Just because an environment is artificial doesn't mean that you can't react to it on instinct. None of that is particularly important anyway. Most Reaction/initiative increasing 'ware works by increasing the speed of your sensory and motor neurons, not by hard-wiring specific reactions into your muscles. Hard-wiring your muscles would be pretty stupid, really, and mostly counterproductive; you'd have to spend almost all your time countermanding the orders your hardware is giving your wetware, an unnecessary strain when you need your attention the most. Or are you telling me that aiming and pulling a trigger is more "instintual" than turning a wheel?

As for the other comment, honestly I *still* think that a rigger is indispensible to a team, because they are still so much better at driving, plus they have their drone networks and general omnipresence that no other team member can really match. But as it stands, without an actual rigger the GM has to either cut all riggers from the opposition, or make up implausible scenarios where riggers will never be found. You can do without the Matrix, you can do without magic, but doing without a rigger is like living in LA without a car. smile.gif

And Kremlin I think is deliverately trying to misinterpret what I'm saying. First off, I've never seen a vehicle with a Handling of less than 2, but it should be obvious to everyone that I intended the Handling to be a minimum of 2--that is, Control = Reaction/(Handling - min 2).
Sargasso
You know, a VCR hijacks the midbrain's processing power directly. Wired reflexes, magic, and other reaction enhancing things affect the body as a unit. Riggers treat a vehicle as not merely an extension of their body, but *as* their body. For 5 essence and nuyen.gif 350,000 a rigger should get what they paid for, namely, the core rules regarding vehciles and initivative and combat pool. Otherwise, their comparative adtantage, which they paid so much for, diminishes rapidly. A Street Sam with wired reflexes would othrwise gets twice as much for his money, personal combat power, and vehicular combat power.
SpeedFreak
Some great discussion is occurring here, that is [Dick Vitale]AWESOME BABY! [/Dick Vitale]

Eyeless, I think what Kremlin is referring to is the in rules ability to modify a vehicle handling to 0 or less. IIRC what this does in game is treat the vehicle as having an effective handling of 2, but it will stay at 2 even if given penalties (such as damage). I.e. it's strictly there to counteract penalties, and for all other purposes, it is treated as a 2. (Oh and strictly math speaking, a real number divided by 0 is undefined, also known as a nonexistent number.) wink.gif

Keep it up people, this rocks! biggrin.gif
SpeedFreak
QUOTE (Sargasso)
You know, a VCR hijacks the midbrain's processing power directly. Wired reflexes, magic, and other reaction enhancing things affect the body as a unit. Riggers treat a vehicle as not merely an extension of their body, but *as* their body. For 5 essence and  nuyen.gif 350,000 a rigger should get what they paid for, namely, the core rules regarding vehciles and initivative and combat pool. Otherwise, their comparative adtantage, which they paid so much for, diminishes rapidly. A Street Sam with wired reflexes would othrwise gets twice as much for his money, personal combat power, and vehicular combat power.

The only real problem I have with that statement Sargasso is that a Sam with wires will pay 550,000 nuyen.gif and will pay the same 5 essence as the Rigger. But when he deicdes to drive, ALL his enhanced reactions somehow go away? Not even close to being realisitic. And from a game balance point, the Rigger gets so many other advantages in a vehicle that crying balance just doesn't wash either. But my main beef is that there is no middle ground. (Datajack driving is such a miniscule improvement that it doesn't count.)
Sargasso
Let's not play the realism card. We're talking about a game with magic and cyberware. Logic sure, realism, no. The Street Sam's reflexes have not gone away, they're just not aplicable.
Sargasso
Ah, I'd forgotten to add a butress to my statement. The street sam's smartgun link is not aplicable for mounted weapons either. He still has it, its simply not aplicable. The street sam's spurs don't really provide much benefit either. The street sam's abilities are simple not useful in that situation.
SpeedFreak
How are they not applicable? Being able to react faster is a big part of what makes you a better driver. To be sure, being the vehicle is going to be much better, but having a reaction time that is 2-3 times as fast as the average person is going to make you much better than them also. And in the current rules, there is no way to show this, you're either Rigged, or you're meat, there is NO MIDDLE GROUND, and that is what I find most unrealistic about the current system. Even with 3 actions a round, a Sam will still be unable to effectively dodge attacks in a vehicle, (unless he/she saves an actions to roll a pilot skill to dodge.) and he gets nothing but vehicle body to resist damage, AND he is rolling at FULL TARGET NUMBERS.

To me it just seems that giving Sams and adept thier full reactions and initiatives puts a nice middle ground into the game. Yeah, you'd probably need to be twice as good (or more) as a Rigger to beat them, but at elast you have more of a chance then odds so long as to be virtually impossible.
Sargasso
QUOTE (SpeedFreak @ Sep 17 2004, 02:41 PM)
...in the current rules, there is no way to show this, you're either Rigged, or you're meat, there is NO MIDDLE GROUND, and that is what I find most unrealistic about the current system. Even with 3 actions a round, a Sam will still be unable to effectively dodge attacks in a vehicle, (unless he/she saves an actions to roll a pilot skill to dodge.) and he gets nothing but vehicle body to resist damage, AND he is rolling at FULL TARGET NUMBERS.

To me it just seems that giving Sams and adept thier full reactions and initiatives puts a nice middle ground into the game. Yeah, you'd probably need to be twice as good (or more) as a Rigger to beat them, but at elast you have more of a chance then odds so long as to be virtually impossible.

A) A Sam with a datajack, anyone with a datajack, can get -1 to teir vehicle skill target numbers.

B) The Fanpro errata regarding Adepts says that letting adepts buy vehicles skills is acceptable, which makes for nifty adept stunts.

C) One of the themes of shadowrun is that unless you have an *edge*, you are meat. Goinging into a firefight against someone with initiative enhancing ware or magic is suicide. Suciide unless you have a different edge to compensate. Riggers have pais dearly for their edge. With vehicles, they own the road. It's their edge. Cope, compensate, or capitulate. It's the way of the streets chummer.
SpeedFreak
QUOTE (Sargasso)
QUOTE (SpeedFreak @ Sep 17 2004, 02:41 PM)
...in the current rules, there is no way to show this, you're either Rigged, or you're meat, there is NO MIDDLE GROUND, and that is what I find most unrealistic about the current system. Even with 3 actions a round, a Sam will still be unable to effectively dodge attacks in a vehicle, (unless he/she saves an actions to roll a pilot skill to dodge.) and he gets nothing but vehicle body to resist damage, AND he is rolling at FULL TARGET NUMBERS.

A) A Sam with a datajack, anyone with a datajack, can get -1 to teir vehicle skill target numbers.

B) The Fanpro errata regarding Adepts says that letting adepts buy vehicles skills is acceptable, which makes for nifty adept stunts.

C) One of the themes of shadowrun is that unless you have an *edge*, you are meat. Goinging into a firefight against someone with initiative enhancing ware or magic is suicide. Suciide unless you have a different edge to compensate. Riggers have pais dearly for their edge. With vehicles, they own the road. It's their edge. Cope, compensate, or capitulate. It's the way of the streets chummer.

And yet you have drugs like jazz and Kami that were (in game) designed to help mitigate the gulf between regs and sams, and with adepts, having 60,000 dice to roll ONCE PER TURN (maybe twice) still means you crash and burn in any "not normal" situation. (like combat) Riggers would still own the road, there is SO MUCH a rigger can do that (even with extra actions) NO ONE ELSE can (drones, rigged security) and COME ON a -1 TN and +1 reaction is not the big advantage you seem to think it is. To illustrate, take a normal wired sam (any level) giev him a SM 2 and then put him up against a person with equal attributes and weapons skill, no smartlink, and a laser sight, and 1 level of reaction enhancement (the .3 E +1 reaction ware) and see how mitigating that is versus someone without it. I think you'll find the answer is "not much".

And, yes, the way of the streets is to make any contest as unfairly balanced in your favor as possible, but there are BILLIONS of other people out there doing the same thing. (Exactly like real life) And this tends to breed balacned environments, not situations where one thing completely dominates all aspects of anything it does. Middle gorunds are made if they cannot be found, even if for the most basic reason of "I need to compete but don't have the porper money or access to the proper equipement." And how many corps do you think would look at it that way huh? ( I think all of them would.)

Finally though, for everybody, put this to the test, let the sams in your group have thier full inits and reactions for a game versus some riggers and see how it changes things, then get your hoops back here and spill the data to the rest of us. cool.gif
Sargasso
You know, if you play a group with sams using their full reastion, something interesting will happen. A sam on a bike is better off then a rigger jacked into a bike. Riggers cannot use combat to soak damage to their person while rigger. Though a Sam has no control pool which applies to the bike, it does mean they can drive by in their open bikes, and have free feild of fire.

Go, go, go gangs.
Lindt
QUOTE (Sargasso)

Actually a Rigged car can have its physical controls removed entirly. The reason no enhancements work is because there is no movment.
Wheelmen adpets have the ability to toss 14 dice, vs a riggers 7, both are equal in reactions, however, your adept cant shoot mounted guns (with out a nice penelty), dosent get a control pool, and dosent drop his target numbers. Huge differance. Does this mean my sammy with gunnery 6 and car 6 and 4d6+12 init are a match for a rigger? No, said sammy, or adept will get schooled.
What Id adress is the wired reflexes + VCR problem. Other then the essance hit, I dont see why not. Its not like the init bonuses stack or anything. Id like to play a rigger with a physical init better then 1d-ass + jack.
SpeedFreak
Ok this has been dormant long enough.

So with 41 people responding, the poll is closed with the following results:

Seems ok to me wins by a landslide with 27 votes.
Somebody stop this munchaholic before he hurts someone's game is a distant second garnering only 8 votes.
Other brought in only 3 votes and only 1 explanation.
And 3 people gave props to my hommie Neko with Neko in a Dress.

All in all I am going to say that this does not seem to be a game breaking idea and the majority of us out here agree.

Thanks to all participants. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
spotlite
I might favour an initiative bonus based on their wires or whatever, but probably not the full bonus. They don't have full movement, which is what their physical enhancements are really for, so I might say if they were physically driving rather than using a jack or VCR they can have their extra reflexes dice, or maybe their extra reaction points but not extra reflex dice. I'm not sure which yet. But I do think the rules as they stand are a little unfair and quite unrealistic - though I too realise that isn't exactly unusual in shadowrun.
spotlite
QUOTE (Lindt)

What Id adress is the wired reflexes + VCR problem. Other then the essance hit, I dont see why not. Its not like the init bonuses stack or anything. Id like to play a rigger with a physical init better then 1d-ass + jack.

i thought it was boosted reflexes that weren't compatible with a VCR? In any case, I'm pretty sure synaptic accelerators and reaction enhancers are compatible with each other and a VCR, so you can still get plenty of bonuses. And there's always your friendly neighborhood mage...
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Sargasso)
Ah, I'd forgotten to add a butress to my statement. The street sam's smartgun link is not aplicable for mounted weapons either. He still has it, its simply not aplicable. The street sam's spurs don't really provide much benefit either. The street sam's abilities are simple not useful in that situation.

Erm, actually the smartgun like *is* applicable; he can still fire a smartlinked weapon out an open window, if he takes the +1 to actions taken while driving. The spurs are still usable too; they probably won't be *useful* for anything, but he still has them and can conceivably fight off a guy trying to climb up the side of the truck he's driving or something.

The wired reflexes, however, for some reason completely disappear the moment he steps behind the wheel. They work just fine anywhere other than in the driver's seat of that car, but for some reason the moment you grab that steering wheel they shut themselves off and don't turn back on again until you crash into something. No matter how hard I try, I still can't see the logic in that.

QUOTE (Sargasso)
You know, if you play a group with sams using their full reastion, something interesting will happen. A sam on a bike is better off then a rigger jacked into a bike. Riggers cannot use combat to soak damage to their person while rigger. Though a Sam has no control pool which applies to the bike, it does mean they can drive by in their open bikes, and have free feild of fire.

Huh, you're right. You know what elce? If you play a group with sams using their full reastion, and put both the rigger and the sam in Citymasters with mounted HMGs, the rigger will be able to fire the mounted weapons without penalty, get his VCR rating as a bonus to any driving tests, and will have a massive Control Pool to soak damage. The sam, meanwhile, will be taking penalties left and right, have *no* chance to soak anything, and will very quickly have his ass handed to him.

This is why sams generally don't fight from inside Citymasters with the windows rolled up, and riggers generally don't fight from a motorcycle.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (spotlite)
QUOTE (Lindt @ Sep 17 2004, 08:15 PM)

What Id adress is the wired reflexes + VCR problem.  Other then the essance hit, I dont see why not.  Its not like the init bonuses stack or anything.  Id like to play a rigger with a physical init better then 1d-ass + jack.

i thought it was boosted reflexes that weren't compatible with a VCR? In any case, I'm pretty sure synaptic accelerators and reaction enhancers are compatible with each other and a VCR, so you can still get plenty of bonuses. And there's always your friendly neighborhood mage...

Actually, just about nothing is compatible with a VCR. And that kinda makes sense, if you think about it, for the same reason that no physical reaction enhancers work while you're in the Matrix. Simply put, you aren't using your limbs at all while rigging. All physical reaction enhancers work by increasing the speed at which your brain communicate with the rest of your body. Therefore, rigging through a VCR, which doesn't involve your body in any way, means that you bypass all those reaction enhancers entirely.
SpeedFreak
I stand corrected. grinbig.gif Seems we weren't done talking after all.
Lilt
Hmm. I answered "Seems ok to me" for the main poll, and I still think that giving a driver their reaction enhancements would be fine, but IMHO there *should* be no middle ground between a VCR and anything else. When rigging, the vehicle becomes the character's body, which nets it a fair few advantages. The only 'middle ground' I could realistically see would be someone with a VCR1 and WR1.

Consider yourself walking allong in a crowded street. People step-out and you swerve. Someone almost walks into you and you twist your body to evade them. You have a sense of space around you that you constantly update using what you see, hear, and feel. This is what driving a rigged vehicle is like.

Consider yourself sitting in a vehicle. You can see the road infront of you through the front windscreen and the road behind you through a few tiny mirrors. You probably even have blind-spots. Datajacks don't help much, they just let you bypass your arms and legs for control. They still don't let you 'feel' the road or give you a full sensory suite.

Some may argue that there are not nessecarily any vision limitations. Take bikes for example. I think this is possible, but 'not having tanagable limitations' isn't exactly the same as 'can feel stuff the human body can't', which is what the VCR gives them. They can dodge attacks at themselves with their combat pool but, as I said before, they don't feel every bump of the road or get that same innate "ohgodI'mgonnadie" feeling when someone aims a gun at their bike.

Just my .02 nuyen.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (spotlite)
QUOTE (Lindt @ Sep 17 2004, 08:15 PM)

What Id adress is the wired reflexes + VCR problem.  Other then the essance hit, I dont see why not.  Its not like the init bonuses stack or anything.  Id like to play a rigger with a physical init better then 1d-ass + jack.

Officially, none of the reaction enhancers stack with VCR. The specific incompatability with boosted reflexes is that you can not have both systems installed in a single human. The electrochemical change of the boosted reflex process will cause the VCR to fail.
With any of the other systems, a person can have both installed and only use one at a time. Like wired and VCR. You can have them both, and they both work fine, just not at the same time.
spotlite
Oh, I didn't mean to imply they actually stacked with a VCR! I was responding to the poster who said they wanted a rigger with an initiative of more than 1d6 plus reaction plus nothing else. I was just pointing out that you can still get physical initiative increasing cyber even though you have a VCR installed. That's all I meant by that.

The rest of it was musing about what bonuses such cyber might give someone who doesn't have a VCR when they are driving a vehicle, and suggesting that some bonus might realistically apply. You still react faster to the world around you even if you aren't as drek hot as an actual rigger would be, what with no handling bonuses, control pool and so on, and I was suggesting that even in that case you wouldn't get your full bonus, you might just get either the extra reaction or the reflex dice. You also shouldn't get any kind of control pool or combat pool to augment your tests either. I know that by canon you can't get any kind of bonus for non-rigger enhanced reaction/initiative, but we already established that at the start of the thread.
blakkie
QUOTE (Sargasso @ Sep 17 2004, 08:07 PM)

Go, go, go gangs.

Personally i considered this when voting "Seems ok to me." I too have issues with the tendancy of the pure cannon rules to boil down to either you are a rigger or you limit driving to going down to the Stuffer Shack to pick up some Soy Twinkies...and even then at your own peril.

I'm not sold on a Control Pool for non-riggers. Though maybe the idea of Reaction/Handling where Handling is a minimum of 2 is passable, it still -feels- wrong. Also it would be quite concevable for a tweaked sam or adept to rival a VCR 1 rigger as long as he kept to vehicles of Handling 2 or less. For example the best starting human rigger (sans Edges) would have a Reaction 6, Control Pool of 8, and Init roll of 8+2d6. Same human with Wire 3 (ok, not legal starting PC, but give that) has a Reaction 10, Control Pool of 6, and Init roll of 10+4d6. As long as the sam is in a vehicle he is trained in (to avoid the killer +4 penalty for defaulting) that's going to be a bit of a toss-up. Especially if you don't implement my following paragraph.

Also I would be inclined to limit how extra initative passes are used by non-riggers, specifically I'd cap it to a total of 1 complex Acceleration and 1 complex Braking actions worth of speed changes. They could accelerate on multiple combat passes, but the total within the Turn is capped. The rational here is that the VCR is allowing the extra speed from fine controling of the engine ignition/fuel system/transmission. Likewise on braking the VCR allows you to have extremely fine control and feedback from the braking system. This keeps the rigger on top for flexibility and flat out speed, but a cunning non-rigger can still work within that limit to get stuff done.

With all that in place the rigger still rules vehicles, especially complex and cumbersome ones, or when flat out speed is a requirement. The reduction to +2 for defaulting also provides a great edge. But you also allow non-riggers (both NPCs and PCs) to function within the game.

As for motorcycles i have no problem with riggers having problems on them. smile.gif Afterall motorcycles are more akin to a handtool than a vehicle, especially dirtbikes and cafe racers. That is a big part of the appeal of people riding them, or at least it is for me. Your entire body is used to drive them. Remember that riggers need that extra gyro to even be able to use them riggered, that's a sign that they are different.

P.S. I agree: Go, go, go gangs! cool.gif
SpeedFreak
bump.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (blakkie)
I'm not sold on a Control Pool for non-riggers. Though maybe the idea of Reaction/Handling where Handling is a minimum of 2 is passable, it still -feels- wrong. Also it would be quite concevable for a tweaked sam or adept to rival a VCR 1 rigger as long as he kept to vehicles of Handling 2 or less. For example the best starting human rigger (sans Edges) would have a Reaction 6, Control Pool of 8, and Init roll of 8+2d6. Same human with Wire 3 (ok, not legal starting PC, but give that) has a Reaction 10, Control Pool of 6, and Init roll of 10+4d6. As long as the sam is in a vehicle he is trained in (to avoid the killer +4 penalty for defaulting) that's going to be a bit of a toss-up.

Well, notice all the qualifications you have here. You have a guy who uses 2 Essence on cyberware versus a guy who spent 5 Essence and a boatload more cash. The sam *still* can't use any onboard weaponry without a penalty, is restricted to vehicles he can drive well and have a Handling of 2, and can't call for backup on his drone network. The rigger, with the cash he saved buying the VCR 1 instead of the wired reflexes, has a whole mess of attack drones working for him as well.

I'd say even with the limited control pool *and* the init boost factored in the sam is in trouble. And this is against a guy with the cheapest VCR on the market; against a VCR 2 the competition is even more skewed, and forget about a VCR 3.

I'm still sticking with non-riggers needing a Control Pool. Without it you might as well not be touching the wheel.
spotlite
Control Pool based on what? Half reaction rating or something? It surely wouldn't be on the same basis as a rigger because of the lack of intuitive 'body' control?
Eyeless Blond
Reaction/(Handling, min. 2), as put forth by Kanada Ten. For most people this is fairly low, and even for the most twinked of characters it won't get higher than a normal Sam, but it will at least offer the *chance* of dodging things, or putting an extra die into a really tough maneuver.
Eyeless Blond
From where I'm sitting, it seems like a majority of people don't see the harm of letting sams or adepts have their bought and paid for Reaction/Init boosts when they step behind the wheel. There seems to be only lukewarm response to the idea of letting them have a very small Control Pool as well.

That said, has anyone playtested this yet? Does it totally screw with the rigger's advantage in vehicular combat? Does anyone out there even *run* vehicle combat, generally?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012