Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun d20 - will it ever happen?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Sargasso
Yep, d20 is for high fantasy, not logical or realism. In d20 a 10th level fighter can calmly turn his back on a goblin to fight thw goblin's two buddies. In Shadowrun, that would get you geeked. Shadowrun's more gritty and realisitc, in the sense that doing stupid things gets you killed.
Austere Emancipator
It could have, though, assuming you're using the Ultra-Lethal version of VP/WP, assuming Lincoln is totally unaware he's about to be shot and the shooter had a few feats to increase the damage. Then you could crank that damage up to something amazing like 1d4+5, which with a good roll could be more than Lincoln's CON score, which would immediately kill him.

(And no, I'm still not trying to defend d20 -- I stand by all the bad things I've said about it in the past.)
Skeptical Clown
I don't think SR would be at all improved by making it d20. But the real reason you won't see it happen is because everyone here has some weird allergic reaction to just mentioning d20 or D&D.
blakkie
Sargasso:: In D20 damage from a shortsword does NOT nessasarily mean you just got a 3 foot steel enema. HP are an abstract concept that are not related directly to physical damage. Well perhaps at 1st level they are direct, but as you raise in levels HP lose respresent things such as use of luck and exhaustion. The weapon need not draw blood any given time.

That is where SR is very different from D&D, and likewise similar in lethalness as D&D is for first level characters.

That is also a core reason why D20 SR would be a very different beast....unless all the classes had +0 hitpoints increase per level (I've not read the D20 Modern, maybe they did that?). Even then the Con bonus would skew things (and make Con an insanely important stat).
Kagetenshi
Which is why Heal spells replenish your luck. ohplease.gif

~J
Siege
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
You're preaching to the choir, Siege.

That's what I figured, but I still needed to rant. grinbig.gif

I should look over the d20 modern system - it seems to be a bit more plausible in terms of instant death.

-Siege
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Which is why Heal spells replenish your luck. ohplease.gif

~J

If you cast Cure Light Wounds on yourself repeatedly, will you win the lottery?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (blakkie)
unless all the classes had +0 hitpoints increase per level (I've not read the D20 Modern, maybe they did that?). Even then the Con bonus would skew things (and make Con an insanely important stat).

d20 Modern does not do that, nor do any other d20 games I'm aware of. Some of the Vitality Point/Wound Point systems have a small notice about how you can run the game with Wound Points only, which basically means your hit points = your CON score, and 0 or below is dead.

[Edit]Reading the "d20 shadowrun" thread would really answer a lot of questions asked here. For example, it contains a bunch of examples of the alleged lethality of d20 Modern.[/Edit]
Pistons
QUOTE (Skeptical Clown)
I don't think SR would be at all improved by making it d20. But the real reason you won't see it happen is because everyone here has some weird allergic reaction to just mentioning d20 or D&D.

Hmm. *tries an experiment*

"d20"

Well, I haven't broken out in hives, and my head hasn't exploded. Maybe I'm not doing this right.

"D&D"

Hmm. Same: no reaction, here. I think that particular generalization is a bit off, as is the idea that "everyone" here on the forums is somehow involved in the creative process at WizKids or FanPro. Forum members!=line developer or writer.
Siege
Blak - I was the one talking about the three feet of cranky steel.

And I do know the old argument about exhaustion and drain and whatnot, but c'mon - that's one of the goofiest bits of rationalization I've heard to date.

And it still doesn't explain archers.

-Siege
blakkie
[Edit]Reading the "d20 shadowrun" thread would really answer a lot of questions asked here. For example, it contains a bunch of examples of the alleged lethality of d20 Modern.[/Edit]

Ya, reading would be good. But given my complete lack of interest in using D20 for what SR (warts and all) handles reasonably well i can't bring myself to wading through 500+ posts. frown.gif Normally I wouldn't even have commented in this thread, but the misconception that HP equate to real cuts is so prevalent and core to understanding the system i thought i should point it out....again.
corvusnex
I just broke out in oozing blisters.

Thanks a lot wink.gif
mmu1
I, for one, hope they do make SR d20 and then go to each of your houses, take away your old SR books, pile them in the town square, and burn them. And then beat your dog to death with a big spiked d20 made from the bones of dead babies.

Maybe then the amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth we're seeing when d20 gets mentioned will finally by warranted. biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (blakkie)
the misconception that HP equate to real cuts is so prevalent and core to understanding the system i thought i should point it out....again.

Again, the way the Heal n Wounds spells work make it unquestionable that there’s real damage there.

~J
Austere Emancipator
And then there's how Dodge, Dexterity, Haste, Deflection, armor in general, Defensive fighting, Expertise etc all change your AC, while your HP is increased by Toughness and being big and burly.

Plus it's a bit difficult to rationalize how, when you need only a 2 on d20 to hit and you roll a natural 20 and another 20 on the threat roll and then maximum damage for your crossbow when firing it at an unarmored high-level fighter at 2 meters from behind when he's immobile and unaware of you, you somehow manage to all but miss and just scrape him a bit.

It can work as a game, if you like high fantasy, but there's absolutely nothing logical about it.
Modesitt
D20 does not equal D&D, but since that seems to be the standard around here, I will use that lingo.

QUOTE (Edward)
D20 doesn’t have any real facility for the degrees of success that are one of SRs strongest points

Instead of saying "You achieved 4 successes", you say "Your roll was 15 higher than you needed".

QUOTE (Edward)
It is easy to start with effective 8 in a weapon skill and you will rarely get above effective 12 (10 and 16 for adepts) and the difference between 8 and twelve is not close to as much as the difference between 2 and 8.

In D20 you start hardly able to hit the brode side of a barn (even if you are a fighter type) and progress to the point where you are all but certain to hit all but the most heavily armoured targets.

No. On a 25 point-buy stat system, a fighter can easily have a +5 attack modifier at char gen and it's totally possible to start with a +8 or more. The armor class of your opposition scales up with you. If your opposition is half-way competent, there's no excuse for something with a defense focus can't give you a 25% or less chance per roll of successfully hitting them. Your complaint that you progress to the point where you are certain to hit "all but the most heavily armoured targets" is absolutely applicable to SR too or haven't you ever read threads about GMs not being able to challenge players?

QUOTE (Edward)
D20 precludes a full magician from being good with guns hand to and or taking damage. All my magic users take 4 in at least 1 combat skill.

No. Clerics and Druids would both be considered full magicians by SR rules. They are what magicians in an SR conversion would be like. They can kick some ass(3/4 bab) and they have d8 hit points. In fact, both of those classes are frequently sited as being overpowered because a well-designed druid or cleric can easily fight equal to or better than most mundane characters.

QUOTE (Edward)
D20 has spells per day. SR lets you cast all day subject to drain (and under good circumstances that is not an issue. An SR triage medic can work all day with the right build as a starting character. Level 20 cleric can not.)

There's no reason a d20-based system can't convert to a fatigue based system and there have been several attempts at such. Subdual damage is generally used, sometimes negative modifiers similar to what SR uses. In addition, a Good aligned level 20 cleric can swap out all of his spells for Cure spells. If one was a full time healer, you could probably pump out at least 40 Cure spells a day.

QUOTE (Edward)

How would you work essence loss bio index and magic under D20

If you were still using Spell Levels, you could treat Magic rating just like in SR - You can't cast a spell of a Spell Level higher than your magic. Essence lose, bio index, why would those be a problem? You aren't even trying. You add two new lines to your char sheet and treat it EXACTLY like you do in SR. For reflecting the penaltys, you could say that lower essence acts as SR in some manner. A higher bioindex rating would raise the DCs on attempts to use the Heal skill on you.

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
The last thing I hate is how d20 makes you miss in situations where you really shouldn't miss. Because of d20 to-hit rolls, I once had a first level Call of Cthulu character with a shotgun loaded with shot miss a giant sized monster at close range. But that was so unrealistic as to pretty much destroy my suspension of disbelief. If you have a shotgun loaded with shot, and then there's a monster the size of a barn right in front of you....YOU CANNOT MISS! It just dosen't make sense! IT's not going to happen.

Why do you think not making a to-hit roll counts as missing? A high AC can be due to having lots of armor too. You shot the monster at practically point blank range and didn't make the roll. A GM could have just said "The roar of your shotgun fills the air, but the beast doesn't seem to have noticed. The buckshot glances harmlessly off of its tough hide". D&D's armor class is essentially Armor+Dodge Roll in SR rolled into one pre-determined number. In addition, larger creatures get penaltys to their AC from just being freaking big.

QUOTE (Siege)
Which is somehow less effective as you become more skilled?

Arrows suddenly penetrate less because you're so much tougher?

The concept of level-based hitpoints is just bad.

This is my responce to hit points in general -

Watch an action movie. See how the hero often ends up with all sorts of little minor cuts and bruises, maybe he gets shot and basically shrugs it off? In SR, he's getting good rolls on his dodge tests and soak tests. In a d20 system, he has a lot of hit points and a high armor class. The only thing stopping you from implementing rules like "When you lose 10% of your hit points, you raise the DC for all skill tests, attack tests, and so on by 2" is the annoyance factor with keeping track of that in combat.

QUOTE (Sargasso)

Which wouldn't have happened in D20, as Lincoln would've been a L12 King with a bunch of HP.

In d20, you would have either been using a Wound/Vitality system like Star Wars d20(And in that case, it would have been a critical hit) or it was a Coup de Grace. A Coup de Grace causes a lot of damage and a difficult Fortitude save.

Plus it's a bit difficult to rationalize how, when you need only a 2 on d20 to hit and you roll a natural 20 and another 20 on the threat roll and then maximum damage for your crossbow when firing it at an unarmored high-level fighter at 2 meters from behind when he's immobile and unaware of you, you somehow manage to all but miss and just scrape him a bit.

See Lincoln. Especially if he's completely immobile and unaware, that is definitely a Coup de Grace.

I play SR in spite of the mechanics. Using larger dice(Such as d20s) makes fine-tuning things much easier. In SR, since the most you can adjust things with is +1 or -1 TN(Unless you start adding up lots of fractional TN modifiers...), you really can't fine tune things as much as you can with d20's or other dice.

One of the major upsides of D&D and other level-based systems is that they force you to generalize. When you level up, you must get better at fighting, at soaking damage, at making saves, and everything else. In SR, it's a lot easier to end up at both char gen and later on with characters who are absolutely incapable of doing ANYTHING but their one schtick, such as "Swinging a sword". In D&D, you can get REALLY GOOD at one thing if you want to by buying lots of magic items for that thing and such, but it's kind of like a specialization in SR. You can only be so specialized.

The best arguments against the idea of converting SR to d20 based have been articulated by Sphynx. You'd also need to write a new magic system - D&D's magic system isn't success based. It's automatic but with daily limitations. If you really wanted to keep SR's initiative system, you'd probably want to add an Initiative progression(Good/Fair/Poor like BAB and how Saves SHOULD be) and remove the extra attacks you automatically gain as your level increases.
Siege
Actually Mode, that was the running joke when the heroine died in "Van Helsing."

However, in that case, characters would start sucking up damage for things they did for free just a few levels before and hit points wouldn't be so bloody hard to get back if it's just a matter of exhaustion.

-Siege

Edit: And I'm stopping, honest. No more d20/DnD rantings for me.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Modesitt)
In d20, you would have either been using a Wound/Vitality system like Star Wars d20(And in that case, it would have been a critical hit) or it was a Coup de Grace. A Coup de Grace causes a lot of damage and a difficult Fortitude save. [...] See Lincoln. Especially if he's completely immobile and unaware, that is definitely a Coup de Grace.

QUOTE (D&D 3E PHB @ p. 133)
A helpless foe -- one who is bound, held, sleeping, paralyzed, unconscious or otherwise at your mercy -- is an easy target.[...]

As a full-round action, you can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless foe. You can also use a bow or crossbow, provided you are adjacent to [within 5' of] the target. You automaticall hit and score a critical hit. If the defender survives the damage, he still must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die.

That bit is exactly equal in d20 Modern Core Rulebook (p. 146), except "bow and crossbow" is replaced with "projectile weapon".

Unless you're within 1.5 meters, coup de grace doesn't count. In D&D, it wouldn't count anyway because unaware doesn't mean helpless in that game. In d20 Modern it does. However, a Level 12 fighter would save against a piddly DC 12-18 with ease.

Now I'm not saying you can't make d20 more deadly than most d20 settings are. Of course you can. The point is you absolutely must if you plan on keeping any of the familiar SR feel.
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 23 2004, 02:37 PM)
the misconception that HP equate to real cuts is so prevalent and core to understanding the system i thought i should point it out....again.

Again, the way the Heal n Wounds spells work make it unquestionable that there’s real damage there.

~J

No.

Or to put it another way....No it doesn't.

I don't have time to go through all the logic and references, but yes Cure Xxxx Wounds and Heal spells effectively restores your luck (a poor word for it, but the best i can give you at the moment) to lesser or greater degrees depending on the creature in question, along with associated wounds, fatigue, etc. I didn't realise in your post you were trying to argue otherwise. I just thought you were unhappy with the somewhat misleading and unfortunate naming of the spell.
Kagetenshi
If what you’re saying is true, then I am decently unhappy that something entitled “Cure Serious Wounds” does not in fact cure serious wounds. I await better explanation of this (take your time (no need for it to get done today, we're not in a hurry here), or feel free to shunt me over to a preexisting explanation elsewhere).

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Sep 23 2004, 08:42 PM)
If what you’re saying is true, then I am decently unhappy that something entitled “Cure Serious Wounds” does not in fact cure serious wounds. I await better explanation of this (take your time (no need for it to get done today, we're not in a hurry here), or feel free to shunt me over to a preexisting explanation elsewhere).

~J

My links to any EN World thread are much, much dated. Years in fact. So they'd be dead even if i had one handy. I just got an emergency work call about 20 minutes ago, and will be out of town likely for a few days. But if you can wait that long i'll drag out my D20 books and look up the WotC site, and put together the argument as best i remember it.

EDIT:: P.S. Cure Serious Wounds does indeed cure wounds, it's just there is more to it than what the dictionary term for wound means. Note that the qualifiers like "Serious" are even more so questionable when interpreted literally. Remember that damage that is multiples more than deadly for some are bearly a scratch for others. So "Serious" as a relative word is decidedly inappropriate. The qualifer for the spells, as well as the "Cure Wounds" are really just a names applied to a step on an arbitrary numeric scale to give more flare than say "Level 4 Hit Point Restoration".
Kagetenshi
I can wait; I'll be out of town for the weekend myself, anyway.

~J
Wounded Ronin
So...wait. Now the offical D&D line is that Cure Light Wounds does not, in fact, cure light wounds? Instead, it's like a cup of coffee?
blakkie
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
So...wait. Now the offical D&D line is that Cure Light Wounds does not, in fact, cure light wounds? Instead, it's like a cup of coffee?

A better analogy might be a Japanese Tea Ceremony. smile.gif
hobgoblin
ye flippin gods...
Modesitt
I see now. I interpreted your 'immobile and unaware' as meaning 'Incapable of motion', not merely 'choosing not to move at the moment'.

Even so, I sincerely doubt it'd be DC 11-14 in the situation you outlined. A crossbow is d8 damage, maximum 8, doubles on a crit to 16, 10+16 for a DC of 26. A 12th level fighters base Fortitude save would be +8. Even if he has a Constitution of 18(A bit low at level 12, but I'm thinking if you had someone in this kind of situation you would think to strip them of magic items first), he has only +12 from mods, maybe +14 from a feat or two, he should have at least one PrC, so +16. He'd need to roll a 10 or better to live. Someone living through that sort of situation isn't out of the question - People have certainly survived trying to Coup de Grace themselves with firearms.

But yeah, if you wanted to convert it, you'd probably want to make the system somewhat more lethal. SR has its fair share of "...How did he live through that moments?", especially once you involve M&M, the trauma damper, and platelet factories.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 23 2004, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 23 2004, 08:51 PM)
So...wait.  Now the offical D&D line is that Cure Light Wounds does not, in fact, cure light wounds?  Instead, it's like a cup of coffee?

A better analogy might be a Japanese Tea Ceremony. smile.gif

So, Cure XXXX Wounds could be re-named Summon Asian Mentor Flashback.

Or, Summon Light Asian Mentor Flashback, Summon Serious Asian Mentor Flashback, and Summon Critical Asian Mentor Flashback.

So that, like in an 80s film, when your character is all exhausted and in trouble, the sound of a bamboo flute can be heard, and we see a flashback to the serene Asian Mentor saying something about spiritual balance. Then we cut back to the present and the hero is suddenly all strong and refreshed and is able to dispatch the bad guys with ease.

In American Ninja 3, all it took was an Asian Mentor Flashback to even overcome a specially engineered virus. ("I don't need the antidote anymore!") I guess that's because Cure Disease is another form of Asian Mentor Flashback.
blakkie
I suppose you could envision it that way. smile.gif But somehow i can't shake the sense that there is a hint of derision in your post. Maybe it's just the reference to American Ninja 3? wink.gif

BTW perhaps a better, quicker explaination than waiting on me could be obtained at EN World? I don't have a link to those forums, but certainly somebody here would.

P.S. Posting the link anonymously might be a good idea to avoid lynching. eek.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Modesitt)
Even so, I sincerely doubt it'd be DC 11-14 in the situation you outlined.

The DC 11-14 was actually trying to reference the .22 vs Lincoln situation, and it was wrong for even that, should be DC 12 - 18.

The best way to make it more lethal is straight WP, no VP, no HP.
Siege
It bothers me that:
  1. He admits to having seen American Ninja 3
  2. He remembers the movie well enough to quote from it

-Siege
hobgoblin
or maybe go the way of mutants and masterminds. either you dont feel a thing. or you get a negative modifier to everything you do. or i the worst case your out flat. kinda reminds me of the system in blue planet (one very nice game btw). there you either take a small wound that just gives you a -1 on tests. or a slighty more serius wound that risk getting you stuned (and adds a -2 modifier) and finaly you have the big one that can land you a -3 modifier, a stun test and a trauma test (basicly a chance to go deadly). even if you survive all these roll the negatives stack (alltho not on the stun and trauma test) so in effect you will quite soon only be able to scream for medical aid and scrawl about (autofire is extreamly nasty btw, every point above a set level adds a negative modifier to the trauma roll. walk in front of a HMG in full action and you will most likely end up dead/dieing, armor or no armor).
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
walk in front of a HMG in full action and you will most likely end up dead/dieing, armor or no armor).

It isn't worth one's time reading through the rules of an RPG where that isn't true. Surviving even a single HMG round hit should be lucky.
hobgoblin
heh, maybe so, but i belive it can be done in shadowrun (by being lucky that is) and i do belive that d20 modern is lethal when it comes to HMG (2d12 damage and massive damage rules adds up). alltho there is one distinct diffrence, in both d20 and sr you end up and bleeding but not stone cold dead (get the right medical attention and you will survive). in blue planet however your stone cold dead on a bad roll, and given the startingpoint of a HMG wound i would say your chances are slim at best. system is this, roll 2d10, keep the lowest roll. this must be equal or below the appropriate stat after the stat have been modified (and the modifier here is -10). miss the number by more then 5 and well i think you get the picture...
Shadow
I can only hope not.
Kagetenshi
Stone cold dead immediately pretty much requires brain destruction. I don't think the fact that a Troll hit by a HMG might be technically still alive for up to another minute is too bad, and for normal humans… well, it's pretty exceptional circumstances that provide a difference between dead in nine seconds and dead.

~J
CylentJoke
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
To quote Bull...

D20 Gives You Cancer

That sign was the best, Hawksfire and I put it up along with some friends of ours. Next year we plan on making "D20 gives you cancer" stickers in the form of surgeon general warnings. Well be sure to drop them off.

-J
BookWyrm
I would sign that "D20 Gives You Cancer" sign if I ever had a chance to.

D20 Shadowrun? Not if I can help it. There will always be those who prefer to play "original" or "classic" SR, and these will outnumber the newcomers. I say, should this blasphemous event occur, we suggest that they leave the text alone, and put conversion notes in the back, thus enabling us to play it without having to re-learn an entire system.

Elf Porn? By all means, more Elf Porn. If there's a link, GIMME!!!!!!
Herald of Verjigorm
Drek, elf porn is one of the most common variants, just try any search engine. Dwarf porn is in short supply, and there are only a few sources for troll, orc, and "other" porn.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Stone cold dead immediately pretty much requires brain destruction. I don't think the fact that a Troll hit by a HMG might be technically still alive for up to another minute is too bad, and for normal humans… well, it's pretty exceptional circumstances that provide a difference between dead in nine seconds and dead.

Several minutes might be a bit much, a couple of dozen seconds does indeed sound more reasonable. After all, if the 10-round HMG burst only hits your torso, you will only lose your internal organs there. That does, however, include the heart and several of the major arteries, the spine, the lungs, etc, with all likelihood.

Nah, it's possible to fit 10 4"-8" diameter holes right through the troll in such a way that he's got several minutes left to live. Those might not be the most likely patterns, but the world works in mysterious ways.
Kagetenshi
Given that even one minute of survival requires a Body of 20, I'd agree that several minutes would be a bit much, but we don't have to worry about it. The only difficulty is that people can stabilize them in that time, but barring some impressive First Aid a single Troll being nailed properly by an HMG won't live that unreasonably long.

And that picture is just creepy.

~J
Abstruse
Just face facts: D20 gaming does not mix with Shadowrun's style of play. You'd have to do incredible overhauls of major systems in order to get it to work under the D20 system. The biggest problem: Cyberwear and magic.

In the rules for SR, cyberwear is a counterbalance to magic and vice versa. You get a lot of cyberwear, it makes you stronger/faster/smarter/whatever, but it prevents your effective use of magic if you even could use magic in the first place. If you use magic, you become more powerful/stronger/able to blow stuff up with your mind/etc, but if you get cyberwear, you can't use magic as effectively. There really isn't an effective way to do this under D20 rules.

Decking, rigging, etc. becomes much harder to do, the magic systems don't mesh well at all, and that's not even counting the fun of making the D20 system somehow conform to the existing fiction (which even though the various editions of Shadowrun, you can still make a 1st Ed era novel fit a SR3 mechanic by simply noting that a "spell lock" is a slang term for a sustaining focus.

I don't mind playing D20 games under certain circumstances. I'm currently working on a zombie game using the D20 rules (much different than D&D zombies...more like Romero's zombies...you can knock them down with an easy shot but they get back up...you have to get a headshot to kill them for good). But Shadowrun just doesn't work with D20's ruleset. You'd have a much easier time converting it to the new WOD system...but that system is so woefully flawed on its own as to be kinda funny.

The Abstruse One
hobgoblin
this is why i say that converting a game from a established system to another is bad as you get holes and bumps and whatsnot. but if you start with the system and then wrap cyberpunk, magic and metahumans around it it may not be shaodwrun but its a game where you have cyberware, trolls and fireballs smile.gif

existing games, stick to your system. new games, evaluate doing d20 if it will make your life easyer and you think you get the feel right...
nezumi
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Dwarf porn is in short supply...

Yeah, and Troll porn is in a pretty ugly situation right now and the market keeps changing on shapeshifter porn.
Arz
Alright my main reasons for not converting SR to D20:
1-Class system is not flexible enough for me to play a realistic modern character.
2-Level based progression doesn't allow for many choices when combined with #1.
3-Magic. The two systems have nothing in common.

On the other side I really like the ease of play that D20 combat has. This is because I like a fast pace system that allows me to be creatively descriptive.
hobgoblin
so then you rip out the class system and level system and just deliver out generic build points at diffrent times. th base d20 system is independent of levels and classes, its just that d&d have them as its part of the d&d style. and d20 modern keeps them around as it was simpler that way (and the basic ones are so generic that they are more like generics then classes). ogl cybernet used classes and levels as it in many ways is a d20 modern clone with cyberware and drugs. mutants & masterminds shows that it can be done ripping classes and levels out (alltho it replaces it with power levels as a way to control basic stats). hell, even cyberpunk 2020 uses "classes"...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Sep 24 2004, 12:59 AM)
Dwarf porn is in short supply...

Yeah, and Troll porn is in a pretty ugly situation right now and the market keeps changing on shapeshifter porn.

Chronic Osteocuspis-affected persons porn is a thorny issue, as always.

~J
Eldritch
One other thing to consider is that a 1st level d20 character is not the same as a '1st level' (Newly created) SR Character. Not even close, you' d have to bump up the levels of a d20 char to make them even with a SR char.

Maybe give them 4 or 5 levels in their chose basic class, then 4 or 5 levels in their advance class.

Yeah, I've put some thought into it, and so far that's one thing I'd definetly consider.....

Cynic project
Let's take the normal D20 rules. They are On and Off. You either hit or miss. Your skill has verry little to do with the outcome save the chances of you hiting.

Combat, with most d20 setting you have a few problems. One If I have a BAB of 4,and +10,000 to hit with a cross bow. I one still miss on a 1,and only do sligthly more damage than other people evry once in a wile. less than 5% of the time.

By the way if I score over your ac by 0 or 100,000,000 i still do the same damage.

If I swing a sword,dager,axe, pike,hamer or mace at someone in feild plate,chain mail or naked, I do the same damage, save the chances of hitting them, and about 5% of the time with crits. Yes this means that weapons made for beating hard metal,and weapons made for soft fleash do the same amoutn of damage on the victem.

healing. If a mage,and a fighter are reduced to 1 hit point and they are both level 20, the mage will heal faster than the the fighter.In fact the Drawven fighter witha con of 30 takes many times longer to heal from one hit point to full than the elven mage with a con of 10.

Then you have things like "ill,sick, tired, blind..." And so that you either are or you aren't.you get sick,and if the rules say you are "sick" you have the same ruls if you hit by soemthign that made you sick one time or by soemthing that made you sick 100 times.
hobgoblin
again your not thinking outside of the d&d/d20 modern box. how about setting a flat low targetnumber for the test, and then say for every 2 that you get above or below that number on the test you modify the outcome? there is nothing in the d20 system that says you cant do that.

damage can be modified, old pre 3. d&d had a optional rule for modifying damage based on armortype vs damage type (thats why they where classified like bashing, slashing and pierceing). and you can argue that SR have the same problem in that a fist, a sword and a hammer all interact with the impact stat of whatever armor the opponent is wearing, but for some reason bullets have to work against ballistic when we know that kevlar like materials just as easy can stop blades as they can stop bullets.

healing is in d20 is a factor of useing hitpoints. remove hitpoints and replace it with say the damage system that we have in sr and you will see that things change fast. and again the damage system isnt part of the base d20 system, its part of d20 modern and d&d.

same with sick. one can add rules that say the effect goes up with getting hit more times by a poison. but frankly, getting sick with the same illness just adds to your recovery time as you have more active bacteria in your system, the level of sickness comes from your body reaction to said bacteria. people can die from the flu damn it. nad how many degrees of blindness are there? even in sr there is only blind fire ( +8 ). and tiredness can be messured with subdual damage.that is damage done in fist fights in d&d and that adds up until it hits your current number of hitpoints and then you either gets staggerd or pass out (equal or above).

the only thing that d20 is when we strip away all the game spesific stuff is:
roll 1d20, add modifiers, compare to targetnumber.

and if we boil sr down to basic rolls?
roll xd6 where x is skill level. compare every dice to targetnumber. if dice comes up 6 roll again and sum result (repeat 6 come up again).

every thing i game specific mubojumbo and most likley have to be replacesed if the system is to be ported to a diffrent setting.

yes they have made it simpler by setting basic targernumbers for basic tasks in the skill descriptions in wotc products (and others). and i kinda like that move. and i kinda like the rule of take 10 or take 20 and the fact that some skills and situations dont allow for that. and i kinda like feats to as there are some stuff you either have or you dont have with no degrees to it (alltho feats can be taken multiple times to simulate degrees of training).

basicly it comes down to what people think about when they say d20. are they thinking about the basic dice system or are the refering to porting the wholesale d20 modern/d&d ruleset over without adjustments?
BitBasher
Then it's not d20.. d20 is a specific ruleset.

If you change all that then it's not d20 and the point is moot, whether or not it happenes with 20 sided dice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012