Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What advantage do heretics get?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Necro Tech
QUOTE (Lilt)
There is a relatively easy way to make a shaman who does not worry about drain from conjuring. You get a trauma damper, and up your strength to 12 or so. Voila: Force 6 spirits only do light drain, which you can never fail to remove with the TD. This trick even works with force 6 great-forms.

I assume you mean charisma instead of strength. Considering how much Karma that would cost, and you need GM permission to go over racial max, it gets fairly prohibitive.
Kagetenshi
Racial max for an Elf with Execeptional Charisma is 14.

~J
Necro Tech
At only 42 points of Karma for your 14th point, what a smokin deal.

Get an Ally spirit.
Lilt
QUOTE (Necro Tech @ Sep 28 2004, 11:48 PM)
I assume you mean charisma instead of strength. Considering how much Karma that would cost, and you need GM permission to go over racial max, it gets fairly prohibitive.

Ah... Yes. Charisma is somewhat more useful for conjurers than strength.

If you can get charisma 14 though, force 7 great-forms become a synch. I'd recommend not going that far until you're at-least a 3rd-grade initiate because otherwise the secondary conjuring TNs would still be over 12.

And, as I said before, an increase charisma spell+sustaining focus to up you from your starting maximum of 10 to the desired amount should be relatively cheap. A force 6 version quickened with 12 karma can make virtually any race into conjuring legends.

However, if you can learn a force 8 version of increase charisma, it becomes easier for the Charisma 4 guy to reach Charisma 12 than a Charisma 10 elf. With 14 dice, which it is easily possible for a starting character to achieve on just sorcery and pool, casting the spell should only take 40 attempts (about two minutes) which goes down significantly if you add totem modifiers, foci, mannalines, ETC.
RedmondLarry
It's still pretty hard, Lilt, to achieve 16 successes on 14 dice, in order to get a +8 to charisma. The Increase <attribute> spells require 2 successes for each +1 to the attribute, with a maximum increase of the spell's Force.
Cynic project
QUOTE (mfb)
yes, but no amount of karma will give a hermetic a spirit with the confusion power, or concealment or search, or accident, or fear, or...

True, but let's face it. Your Spirits are limitied tot eh area you are in. And if a Shaman are in a toxic zone. Some of the Shamans have spirits that are nasty but some of the tiem you just get boned.

But as I recall can't your ally get those powers?
Spookymonster
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Sep 29 2004, 07:02 PM)
True, but let's face it. Your Spirits are limitied tot eh area you are in.

Not if they're great forms.
Kagetenshi
Don't even Great Forms have problems with toxic areas that Elementals just don't?

I may be thinking of something else.

~J
Spookymonster
According to MITS, pp. 126-127, you may not be able to summon a nature spirit in a toxic domain, but that doesn't prevent you from bringing a great form into one. Likewise, the background count may make a great form less effective (just like any astrally-active being), but it won't prohibit the spirit from entering the area.
Abstruse
I thought Force > Magic Rating, not Chr, = Physical Drain from summoning.

The Abstruse One
Eyeless Blond
Yes, but the *level* of the Drain is when you compare the Force to the conjurer's Cha

F <=.5*Cha ==> Light
F <=1.*Cha ==> Mod
F <=1.5*Cha ==> Serious
F > 1.5*Cha ==> Deadly
Ombre
Something's nagging me in this thread...I'm reading a lot of people discussing the merits of Channeling etc...but in my game (and in yours too, I hope) a magician player character can't just pick any metamagical technique out of the book, just because he/she gets a new Initiation grade...some technique ought to be well-kept secrets, not stuff you can learn by reading Magician's Monthly or other Ambrosius Publications newsletters...I think Channeling in particular is something that only a few people know (it makes sense for magicians hailing from specific cultures where possession by a spirit is something viewed favorably like in Voodoo or with Ancestors spirits...maybe with some totally fragged-up Toxics or Corrupted).
Someone talked about the roleplaying aspect which is essential to me. Whenever a new player wants to create an Awakened character, I don't go so much into the technical aspects than into the rp aspect: magic from the heart and soul vs intellectualized magical theorem manipulation...do you live in a world full of spirits slumbering everywhere around you or do you see the world as a multidimensional construct of varying levels of energies...do you respectfully summon incarnations of life or do you superimpose your strength of will to impart sentience to the surrounding elemental energy pool ?

As for tactical considerations...attacking with a squad of Force 8 Fire Elementals in tow can be cool'n flashy but what if you get knocked out or killed?
As a gamemaster, the tactic I would use against such hermetic "GrosBill" (french for munchkin) is very simple: whack the mage with a dirty Stun spell/concussion grenade / dose of Narcoject Lethe or whatever will do the trick...
And voilà!!! a handful Force 8 spirits checking a Force against a mere 4 in order to get free...imagine your 6 or 8 Force 8 Fire Elementals (plus spirit energy) deciding to celebrate their newfound freedom by toasting those fragging shadowrunning slavers!!! Smells like barbecue time!!!
spotlite
QUOTE (Ombre)
Something's nagging me in this thread...I'm reading a lot of people discussing the merits of Channeling etc...but in my game (and in yours too, I hope) a magician player character can't just pick any metamagical technique out of the book, just because he/she gets a new Initiation grade...some technique ought to be well-kept secrets, not stuff you can learn by reading Magician's Monthly or other Ambrosius Publications newsletters...

I agree with you to a point. Some will be closely guarded secrets, but if a mage logs onto shadowland and reads the write up in T:AL, then they have enough for the inspiration for a metaplance quest. They only need to know that they wish to learn how to draw a spirit of a type they can conjure into themselves, and the metaplane itself takes care of 'teaching' it to them, if you will.

If you cannot do a quest for an ordeal because you did one for an earlier initiation and your GM says you can't repeat that ordeal, then I'd say yes, you have to find a teacher to show you (you could find a spirit as well, but I can't see a spirit knowing how to channel a spirit into itself, you know?).

If you are part of a group I suppose its also possible that the group will have a set order in which they teach techniques they know. So even if your group knows channeling, it doesn't mean they're going to let their grade 1 novice learn it when their strictures or philosophy says they must learn centering and masking (or whatever) first.

But you raise a valid point - it probably isn't that easy to just learn whatever technique you feel like when you initiate.
Pepside
QUOTE (spotlite)
If you cannot do a quest for an ordeal because you did one for an earlier initiation and your GM says you can't repeat that ordeal, then I'd say yes, you have to find a teacher to show you (you could find a spirit as well, but I can't see a spirit knowing how to channel a spirit into itself, you know?).

I know its nitpicking and off-topic but I always assumed that an ordeal astral quest and an astral quest to learn new metamagic are to different things. In other words one could undergo a quest as an ordeal in an inititations and would have to undergo another ordeal to learn new metamagic. This means you can do a astral quest as often as you like.

Have I misunderstood the rules ?
Kagetenshi
Keep in mind that Shadowlands is a Level 2 contact that most mages won’t have at chargen, and that a lot of the sourcebooks will probably be hard to find or otherwise obfuscated.

~J
Spookymonster
Wasn't (isn't?) the Grimoire updated and published annually? If so, then just about anything in it (and it's 3rd ed counterpart, MITS) should be available in any well-stocked library.
Kagetenshi
MITS has no in-game equivalent.

~J
spotlite
@pepside:

The thing is, that part of the rules is very misleading. Somewhere else in another thread (or maybe this one, I can't remember), I mentioned that I got a reply from Wizkids on the number of metamagical techniques someone can learn. Officially, its once per grade. That means if you already learned your technique this grade from say a teacher, you couldn't then do a quest to learn another unless you initiate again.

I suppose you don't have to learn a technique at initiation itself, you might just gain the capability to. In that way you could maybe do a quest between grades, but again onlyto learn one ability per grade. But it would get around the repeating ordeals problem.

Speaking for our group, we limited it to a number of techniques up to twice your grade instead, learn 'em how you like. Generally speaking, our mages & shaman learn something at inititiation then almost immediately do a quest to learn another. That means by Grade 4, should they reach it, they stop doing quests because the rating is equal to the number of techniques you already know, which at means if you've learned everything you can for grade 3, your grade 4 technique quest will be at rating 6, which is no fun at all. Instead they have to start hunting down teachers and spirits at that point.

Since imx players don't tend to go above Grade 3 or 4 because they've got too much other stuff to spend their karma on, they then also don't usually break a ceiling of 6 seperate abilities. For a grade 3 mage with a large karma pool and a ton of spells, that doesn't seem unreasonable to me. There's well over 10 abilities to choose from, most of them cooler than a penguin's squishy bits, so a character never gets everything they want and still have to plan and sacrifice in terms of their development and improvement. Works for us, but the canon answer was once per grade, despite the seemingly opposite indication in the book.

I can print the text of the e-mail up if anyone wants and as long as no one thinks the guys at wizkids would mind (not that I can really see why they would, tbh).

@kagetenshi - yeah, but magicknet isn't - and what team worth their salt has a decker that after a while even if not at first doesn't work their way onto shadowland who can get this stuff for them?

Even if MITS isn't in game, I think we have to assume the stuff in MITS is generally well documented, there are universities and stuff that teach it, and corps that sell the gear - and even if not, what is a high rating library for anyway?

And I think if T:AL has an in game section describing something as powerful as channeling there really must be some IC stuff somewhere describing the content of MITS.

I mean, its a debatable point, obviously, because of the simple fact that there isn't an IC sourcebook which deals with the stuff in MITS - so it cannot be proved either way imho. I choose to assume it is out there. *shrugs* you can assume what you like! wink.gif
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (spotlite)
I can print the text of the e-mail up if anyone wants and as long as no one thinks the guys at wizkids would mind (not that I can really see why they would, tbh).

I'm someone, and I want.
No, no one thinks the guys at wizkids would mind.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Spookymonster)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Sep 29 2004, 07:02 PM)
True, but let's face it. Your Spirits are limitied tot eh area you are in.

Not if they're great forms.

Yes, yes you are.Great forms can cross the areas, but don't mean shit if you aren't in the area you need them.Also if you go to some place for a long time,say a day and then you need a spirit in an area that you aren't in. I mean you may want a storm spirit in the middle of A SoCall summer.You may not want to bring your force 6 great forum city spirit into the forset ..I mean they can cross lines, but that doesn't mean you can always have what spirit type you want. Really when was the last time a shaman summoned a spirit evrywhere they went, regaurdless of where they went? wink.gif
Kanada Ten
I would say that bringing a Great Form Nature Spirit into a Toxic Domain will have adverse affects on it. Implications from YotC and Dragons also seem to suggest Toxic areas affect the Shaman and Spirits as well. While not necessarily spelled out in canon, there should be difficulty in controlling such spirits in such places.
Spookymonster
QUOTE (Cynic project)
Really when was the last time a shaman summoned a spirit evrywhere they went, regaurdless of where they went? wink.gif

I don't know how you play shaman characters, but mine tend to do exactly that. A Force 2 City or Sky spirit is child's play to summon and resist drain, while chalking up a decent number of services. One service spent to keep Guard active on the conjurer, one more to cast Conceal on the conjurer if they're attacked; and one more to cast Confuse on anyone attacking the conjurer. If the shaman's an Initiate, tag on a few more low-level (Force 1 or 2) great forms. When I play a mage, I usually do something similar, but only when I know there might be trouble; elementals and their services are simply too expensive to burn up so casually.

I mean you may want a storm spirit in the middle of A SoCall summer.

And your mage may want a Water elemental when all she's got left in her stable are Fire elementals. Neither type of conjurer is immune to Murphy's law wink.gif.
toturi
A shaman may have only 1 nature spirit per domain BUT some areas have multiple domains.

Futhermore, shamans have the "advantage" of not losing all the effort they put into their spirits if they get Deadly.
Kagetenshi
The shaman loses the effort too, unless they've got a way to magically recover from a Deadly wound before sunrise/sunset (certain parts of the world, I suppose).

~J
toturi
Yes, but the amount of resources that the mage poured into summoning an elemental is large when compared to the pittiance the shaman put in when he summoned that nature spirit.
Spookymonster
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
MITS has no in-game equivalent.

~J

But the Grimoire (or more precisely, the Manual of Practical Thaumaturgy) is still being published according to canon (BBB, p. 161).
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Spookymonster)
I don't know how you play shaman characters, but mine tend to do exactly that. A Force 2 City or Sky spirit is child's play to summon and resist drain, while chalking up a decent number of services. One service spent to keep Guard active on the conjurer, one more to cast Conceal on the conjurer if they're attacked; and one more to cast Confuse on anyone attacking the conjurer. If the shaman's an Initiate, tag on a few more low-level (Force 1 or 2) great forms.

Shamans are supposed to treat their spirits as allies, not antivirus software. They are to be called on as friends, not tools. I chastise your hermetic ways with the forces of nature.

wobble.gif

A shaman may have only 1 nature spirit per domain BUT some areas have multiple domains.

And they can only be in control of 1 normal nature spirit regardless of how many domains they stand in. Once you conjure your Mist Spirit, you City Spirit performs only the last duty asked of it before departing. How long a power lasts until considered a services is up to the GM, and services such as Guard, Conceal, ect last only while in the domain, which a GM might point out you left by conjuring a spirit of a different domain.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Spookymonster)
But the Grimoire (or more precisely, the Manual of Practical Thaumaturgy) is still being published according to canon (BBB, p. 161).

But that doesn't mean that any given piece of information in MitS is available.

~J
Kanada Ten
IIRC, it is mentioned in SoNA's PCC chapter that the metamagic of Channeling is 'recently' documented by the mainstream. Meaning it's not well documented until at least 2060.
toturi
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

And they can only be in control of 1 normal nature spirit regardless of how many domains they stand in. Once you conjure your Mist Spirit, you City Spirit performs only the last duty asked of it before departing. How long a power lasts until considered a services is up to the GM, and services such as Guard, Conceal, ect last only while in the domain, which a GM might point out you left by conjuring a spirit of a different domain.

While you need to be in its domain to give it instructions ie use its power, you need not continue to be in its domain for the spirit to continue to target you with its power. If what you said were true, then a toxic spirit may not target a shaman who summoned up a nature spirit. A wasteland under a stormy sky, maybe considered both a toxic domain as well as a sky domain as well.
Kanada Ten
While you need to be in its domain to give it instructions ie use its power, you need not continue to be in its domain for the spirit to continue to target you with its power.

You need to be in the nature spirit's domain to be affected by its powers. However, I agree that a shaman can switch his or her 'mental' or aspected domain and still be covered by the power.

If what you said were true, then a toxic spirit may not target a shaman who summoned up a nature spirit. A wasteland under a stormy sky, maybe considered both a toxic domain as well as a sky domain as well.

I'm fairly sure toxic spirits can cross domain lines from the start, regardless.

But I know one can be standing in multiple domains; shamans simply cannot control multiple normal nature spirits of multiple domains, or even have them of the same domain (once you cross the Charisma limit spirits start departing even if the service is incomplete).

Also, a shaman would take a number of initiative passes to summon multiple spirits of different domains while the hermetic takes a single complex action to call and then a simple to command them all.
Zenmaxer
QUOTE (toturi @ Sep 30 2004, 10:51 PM)
If what you said were true, then a toxic spirit may not target a shaman who summoned up a nature spirit. A wasteland under a stormy sky, maybe considered both a toxic domain as well as a sky domain as well.

Yep, I'm with Kan on this.
some notes on spirit usage

You can command spirits from the astral. This means that one can use them to wreak some serious manifested havoc... and it really doesn't work if you're a shaman, because you can't conjure them up while on the astral, so they will almost certainly be out of their domain. You'd need to be using great forms, and that's pretty hard to set up before hand, all things considered.
toturi
Bad example. Yes, toxics may cross domain lines.

I'll rephrase the example:
An enemy shaman summons a nature sprit and tells it to target a friendly shaman with its Accident power. The friendly shaman summons another nature spirit from a different domain. Does it mean Mr Enemy Spirit cannot target Mr Friendly Shaman?
Moon-Hawk
I tried out a new metamagic technique that allowed a shaman to have more than one spirit in a domain, as long as the total force was equal to her magic rating or less. It was fine. No game-breaking or world-ending.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Spookymonster)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Sep 30 2004, 05:34 PM)
Really when was the last time a shaman summoned a spirit evrywhere they went, regaurdless of where they went? wink.gif

I don't know how you play shaman characters, but mine tend to do exactly that. A Force 2 City or Sky spirit is child's play to summon and resist drain, while chalking up a decent number of services. One service spent to keep Guard active on the conjurer, one more to cast Conceal on the conjurer if they're attacked; and one more to cast Confuse on anyone attacking the conjurer. If the shaman's an Initiate, tag on a few more low-level (Force 1 or 2) great forms. When I play a mage, I usually do something similar, but only when I know there might be trouble; elementals and their services are simply too expensive to burn up so casually.

I mean you may want a storm spirit in the middle of A SoCall summer.

And your mage may want a Water elemental when all she's got left in her stable are Fire elementals. Neither type of conjurer is immune to Murphy's law wink.gif.

One, I don't play Shamans,and two you play the crazies. I you walk around with spirits in most runs,all the time you will get caught. If I mister shaman try to sneak into the corprate building with low force spirits swarming about me. Always having spirits around is not only bad role playing, it is a bad idea. You have to understand that sometimes the best way to blend in is not to have a huge magical arua about you. Hide in plain sight.But hey you want to go in "guns blazing", just don't looked shocked when your spirit sets off magical alarms,and gets you all dead, or when that gang who wants your car not only steals your car, but decides the pain you put them threw with your magic merited you a good slug to the head...

But let's get back to my heremtic, on avrage he spent 2,000 for his force 8 spirits,and he would use them roughly 4 times each. Skill 8,foci 6, ally 5. Tns -1.But then again by that time he had gained lot of karma and I forget what he was like at the start, but I was never lacking in that area.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (toturi)
Bad example. Yes, toxics may cross domain lines.

I'll rephrase the example:
An enemy shaman summons a nature sprit and tells it to target a friendly shaman with its Accident power. The friendly shaman summons another nature spirit from a different domain. Does it mean Mr Enemy Spirit cannot target Mr Friendly Shaman?

Ok, maybe using my own terminlogy, but still, it might work.

Friendly Shaman still gets spanked by Toxic Spirit.
Why? Because the Domains over lap, just because our Shaman has Aspected himself to the sky for summoning the Storm Spirit, doesn't stop him being physically In the toxic domain. He needs to remain Aspected to the sky to command the Storm Spirit, but he's not need to be in the sky does he?

That make any sense?????
Eyeless Blond
Yes, but now the argument is defeated. If the enemy's City spirit (we'll use City spirits instead of Toxic spirits, as Toxics are exceptions) can still target you, then the City spirit you summoned earlier can still use his Guard power on you.
Kagetenshi
Are there any critters that are dual-natured without always being astrally perceiving?

~J
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Yes, but now the argument is defeated. If the enemy's City spirit (we'll use City spirits instead of Toxic spirits, as Toxics are exceptions) can still target you, then the City spirit you summoned earlier can still use his Guard power on you.

It would seem so now no?

it would be able to guard you, not then conceal you. (Unless of cause you asked it to before you "left" it's domain)
Necro Tech
Yup, powers only work inside their domains for nature spirits. If you are in multiple domains, you are toast, but running into your house protects you from the big bad city spirit. It can't come in nor can it use its powers against you. Domains get fuzzy (like hiding from a sky spirit in a covered patio) but if you can't summon a certain spirit, it can't help or hurt you there. Great forms excepted.
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Are there any critters that are dual-natured without always being astrally perceiving?

Bred Drakes in Drake form are dual natured. In (meta)human form they can turn on and off their Astral Perception.
Kagetenshi
So we have an example of something that can be vulnerable somewhere without getting the benefits of where they're vulnerable.

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Cynic project)
Really when was the last time a shaman summoned a spirit evrywhere they went, regaurdless of where they went?

Close to around 60% of my characters to date have been of the Shamanic variety. Most of those would always have a Spirit on hand, if at all possible. That is not to say that these Spirits were always, or even ever, Great Forms, but they were still on hand. If the situation demanded that the Shaman would have to cross Domain lines (something that doesn't happen as often as one might think...Domain lines are blurred, and it is possible to be in more than one at any given time), then he/she would give one last command to the Spirit on hand and then Conjure a new Spirit of a more appropriate Domain.

As to Kanada Ten's protest of 'hermetic thinking', I tend to think of it more as being 'in touch with one's surroundings', as befits a Shaman's outlook towards Nature. Spirits should be able to perform more varied Services than are listed, or at least the listed ones can be taken to have a broader meaning. For example, a Spirit from any given Domain should be able to answer general questions about its Domain and its history (assuming a test Force/Difficulty-Obscurity of answer) as a Service.

As to being a 'walking target' because of having Conjured a Spirit, a Shaman is at no more disadvantage in this case than a Hermetic Mage. Both have the option of having the Conjured Spirit 'on call', whereby it is not actually physically or Astrally present, but can be summoned with a Complex Action. Such Spirits do not give away their presense when 'on call', and are therefore no 'beacon' on the Astral Plane.
Fortune
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Yup, powers only work inside their domains for nature spirits. If you are in multiple domains, you are toast...

If what you are saying is that if a Shaman is anywhere that could be considered multiple Domains (which is everywhere) he cannot benefit from a Spirit's Powers, then I disagree.

A Spirit can use its Powers for good or ill on someone as long as they can be considered to be in its Domain in the loosest possible sense. Whether or not the targeted Shaman's outlook on which particular Domain he is personally in at the time differs is totally immaterial.

As to running into a house being protection from a City Spirit, a case can be made of overlapping Domains here as well, as more-than-likely that house is in the city, thereby putting it in the Domain of a City Spirit. I'm not saying I agree (or don't!), but I've heard and read arguments both for and against often enough.

I do agree with your example of running under an awning to escape a Sky (or Storm) Spirit though, as long as the Spirit's target cannot personally see the sky.
RedmondLarry
Regarding Great Form Nature Spirits and their powers once they leave their domain--

Rules from the book (SR3.184, right column, 2nd and 5th paragraphs):
QUOTE (Domains @ SR3.184)
Nature Spirits only have power within their domain.
If a shaman leaves a nature spirit's domain, any remaining services the spirit owes are canceled.

I know Great Form Nature Spirits can leave their domain, but I don't see anything in their description that would invalidate either of the above two rules. I ignore the 2nd one for Great Form Spirits, but am not so sure about the 1st one.

Do you let Great Form spirits use their powers outside of their domain?

/Edit: clarified that my post is all about Great Form Spirits
Fortune
I'm not disputing that at all. My point is that the Shaman can still be in the Nature Spirit's Domain according to the Spirit, even if by the said Shaman's perspective he is in another, as long as the Domains can be considered to overlap. It's all in who's perspective is relevant at the time.

I'm not saying that the Shaman in the above example can still command the first Spirit once he changes his own perspective to that of a different Domain. He can though, still benefit from the effects of the last command given to that Spirit, as long as he stays within that Spirit's Domain as seen from the Spirit's perspective.

I'm not discussing Great Forms, as all bets are off as far as they are concerned. smile.gif

Edit: OurTeam: Even though I now know that you weren't addressing me, I'm leaving the post as is, as I believe it gives a clear indication of what I am trying to say. smile.gif
WhiteRabbit
As a friend pointed out earlier today, another advantage of elementals is that you can give an elemental to someone else. Sure, it costs a service, but this can be really useful to a group, and just consider the business opportunities...
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
So we have an example of something that can be vulnerable somewhere without getting the benefits of where they're vulnerable.

Erm, I'm afraid I don't follow. Care to elaborate?
Kagetenshi
Yes, but in the morning. The later morning, that is.

~J
DrJest
QUOTE (Da9iel)
I don't see that anywhere in BBB or MITS.

Once you can summon a Great Form, you can also take non-great forms over multiple domains. Grade 1 Initiate can take a Forest Spirit into the City. wink.gif

Eh? huh?

Okay, old-timer* alert here: What are BBB or MITS?

And I must really be out of practice, because I don't remember being able to cross domains with spirits.

*2nd Ed up as far as Blood in the Boardroom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012